Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 vs BMW 5-Series

13»

Comments

• kivikivi Member Posts: 12
    Hard for me to understand how the Beemer costs less than the M35, because that is the polar opposite experience that we just faced (in Canada). We compared, and test drove extensively the usual choices from BMW Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti. When we compared the loaded M35x to a similarly equiped BMW 530xi, the lease payment would be $1035montly for the M35x, vs over $1500/month for the BMW. We have driven 3 Bimmers in the past, but there was no way that we could justify paying so much more for the BMW. Our new M35x is due to arrive in 2 weeks. I hope we will be happy with our choice.
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    Pretty nice, I gotta tell you. Low 80's, sunny, not very humid. Overall, very pleasant!

I am sorry, but I drove the 5 series vs. the M when I went to get a new car in January. I was coming from a Mercedes and an Audi before that and was completely impartial to both BMW and Infiniti.

I liked the design of the 5 series over the rather bland (IMO) design of the M. And the driving experience of the 5 over the M is much better. Again, my opinion. You may have yours.

But I do think the 5 is a much better car than the Infiniti, thought the M is a huge step forward for them, and infinitely (oops!) better than the Lexus, which I didn't even fit it. I am over 6'4".
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    Come to the US. You can lease a similarly equipped 530xi for less than a M35x.
    I wish I felt the same way. The BMW was a fun drive. The GS was WAY to tight for me too. (Im 6'2) The interior of the GS was very impressive though. The 5 Series interior was just so plain. (IMO) It didnt feel luxurious at all. The interior of the M (with the WOOD TRIM) was much nicer.

I aree the styling of the 5 series is pretty nice, especially with the Style 123 Sport Rims. The 18 inch rims give it a very good look. I wish they would have offered those rims on the Xi. I may have jumped on it. Especially to save a few bucks. (The 5 series lease was about $10 less per month)
  • illinimaxillinimax Member Posts: 1
    I agree. Just drove the 550i and M45 today. Left with the 550i.
  • papsephuspapsephus Member Posts: 15
    You will never truly appreciate the BMW until you get a chance to drive it at the BMW performance Center in Greenville, SC. You can sign up for one of the driving classes starting at $400 - $500 which lasts all day on saturday and they even provide you with lunch.

This is where you find the car's capabilities of braking, traction, steering, and no body roll.

My wife drives a 745Li that avg 26 mpg on the highway. I feel safer in this vehicle with my 1 year old son than in any other vehicle I have driven. Why? Because I know the handling capabilities of the vehicle.

I like the M45, but am partial to BMW because of what I had a chance to experience with it (plus the better gas mileage with a larger car). I have not had a chance to go through the same rigorous driving with the M, but I don't think I need to.

I advise anyone to take the BMW driving school at the BMW center. This is where they actually make the x5 and the 3 series. Besides learning driving skills, you will get a chance to see why you pay the extra money for the BMW. Trust me, you get what you pay for.
    26MPG!!! Wow...very impressive.
  • papsephuspapsephus Member Posts: 15
    Yes. That is doing about 75 mph on the highway. Remember that this is a 6 speed transmission and at 75 mph the engine hangs around 2000 to 2500 RPMs. It drops considerably when driving in stop and go traffic just like any other vehicle.

It still does not beat my 2000 Toyota Corrola in gas mileage, but my toyota is not a mile long and have 325 horses.

My point is that there is much more going on in the vehicle than meets the eye, which is why most people would say they are overpriced. I agree that they are expensive and may not ever be able to afford to get another one, but that does not discount the fact the it is a performer. Plus I think the maintenence is build into the price. 67k miles and not a single penny paid yet for maintence. New brakes, new torque converter, new worn parts, new trunk motor, etc. Not a penny paid. Tires are expensive, though (which I did have to pay for).
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    At least to me, what put Nissan (Datsun) in automobiles' map was the Z240/260 ("fair lady") back in seventies and the reason, inline 6 engine

What makes W124 Benz e-class as one of the longest selling model, Inline 6 engine.

The last inline 6 engine in luxury car, ahem BMW 530-535

I hope BMW keeps making them.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Amen.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    After reading great reviews and ratings on the M series, I decided to test it. I first drove the BMW 535. It was very quick and solid. I then took an M35x out from another dealer.
    I found the electronics on the M to be superior but in driving dynamics it was a distant second. The steering feel was not there. The BMW was superior in terms of suspension and brakes. It also felt more solid- the doors were heavier etc.
    I'm sure that the M is a great value and that has to be part of its attraction. It's quick, reliable and offers all the tech goodies of the more expensive cars but to me the BMW experience was a level above, one that you certainly pay for.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    It will be interesting to see how the 535i compares to the M35 and M45 in terms of performance and Comfort.
    My guess is that the 535i will give the M45 a run for it.
    I would like to see the M45 and 550i in a comparison test. I have seen the M35 beat out the 530i (both 6 cylinders), but haven't seen any tests with the 8 cylinder sport sedans. If anyone has a link, please post it. Would lke to know if Infiniti is also superiour with the more powerful engine.
  • bumpsbumps Member Posts: 4
    I drove both vehicles before finally purchasing the bmw. Altough I liked the "step on the peddle" performance of the Infinity a bit more than the BMW, there were things that just were simply better abouth the 530xi. It felt like a much more solid vehicle * the controls were more solid looking and feeling * the steering had a much better feel * the "sport" seats were superior * and I was able to get it with a 6-speed! As mentioned earlier, the only real 530xi drawback is it's lack of "kick in the rear" power. Anyone have any engine upgrade thoughts?
    I MUST say, the 535xi is def on par with the M35x. BMW did a great job by giving the car more horsepower.

I LOVE the M35x, but the 535xi was def fun to drive!

I wish BMW would only make the car a little more luxurious looking (inside and out).
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    I MUST say, the 535xi is def on par with the M35x

The question I am curious about is how the 535Xi compares to the forthcoming M45x.

I have not followed the road tests in detail, but I thought I read somewhere (Edmonds?) where they posted a 0 - 60 time for the M45 of 6 seconds, while BMW claims the 0 - 60 time for the 535i/535Xi is less than 6 seconds.

0 - 60 is only one small aspect of of a car's performance, and I'm not trying to claim one accelerates faster than the other per se, but if this one example is correct then they have comparable acceleration. If so, then that would indicate the 535Xi is more of a competitor to the M45x than the M35x.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • bathelbathel Member Posts: 2
    I've driven the 528 and 535 BMW along with the M35 and M45.

On pure performance, handling and feel... the 528 is more like the M35 but IMO better than the M35. The 535 is well beyond the M45 this area.

If you look at features and value, the M35 and 45 win hands down.
    Buyers who look at the M45 also look at the 550.

V6 vs I6 and V8 vs V8

In comparison test, the M45 outperformed the E500, 550i, Audi A6 and Lexus GS430

Tough to compare the I6 to a car that beat BMW's 8 cylinder.

Its just not far to BMW. The M45 is a different league.
    The 528 is MUCH to slow to compare to the M35. Nice car. Just inferior.
  • bajanjackbajanjack Member Posts: 15
    Hahahaha......you have a great sense of humor!!
    mmoreno1978,

"In comparison test, the M45 outperformed the E500, 550i, Audi A6 and Lexus GS430"

Do you have a link to this test? Or any other test that includes the 5 series and the M?

The 535 is cross shopped against the 550, so cross shopping with the M45 should be expected.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Here you go. There are similar articles from the other auto magazines. I am yet to see one that has the 5 series ranked higher than the M.

Regardless, all great cars. But these articles and drving the vehciles had a lot to do with me purchasing the M. Eventhough I also have the E350 as my commuter car now.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11738/2007-bmw-550i-vs-2007-infiniti-m45- - -sport-vs-2007-lexus-gs450h-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-e550.html
    mmoreno1978,

Thanks for the link. The test speaks well for the M45, but I myself would not interpret it to say its all or nothing for the M45. If the focus is a sports sedan, my take-away is the choice is between the M45 and the 550, and there are valid reasons for choosing one over the other.

The test also shows why some would cross shop the 535 to the M45 if you look at 0 - 60 times. It was measured at 5.9 for the M45 in this test while BMW claims 5.6 for the 535 on their web site- good indication they are comparable notwithstanding the number of cylinders.

Bruce
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    With 0-60 times, they can change quite a bit depending on the surface and ambient temperature. Plus, how well broken in the engine is and the skill of the driver. The point being, unless the tests are done the same day, on the same track at nearly the same time with the same driver after familiarizing himself with the vehicle and at least several tries, small differences are not discriminators as conditions can easily account for a fair amount.
    Yes, I agree, you should compare times from the same test and same conditions to get concrete answers.

I'm not trying to compare specific 0 - 60 times per se, just trying to categorize cars by comparable power / acceleration capability- one data point on the scale of performance.

If you look at the C&D test data in the referenced article, the 550 was a half second quicker to 60 than the M45.

If you look at the BMW web site, they claim the 550 does 0 - 60 in 5.5 and the 535 does it in 5.7 with the standard automatic. If you accept the 535 is about 0.2 seconds slower than the 550, then based on the data in the C&D test one could conclude the 535 is faster than the M45 to 60.

I'm only claiming the two cars are comparable in power / acceleration. Based on this, my own personal opinion is the 535 is more of a competitor to the M45 than the M35- YMMV.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • selvappselvapp Member Posts: 15
    I just got the M35 after test driving the 535i, GS350 and A6. I was looking for a car that was luxurious, spacious, looks good and economical price wise. Factoring in all of the above, for me M35 was the perfect choice. I liked the A6 for its looks, 530i for its performance, GS350 for its quietness but the M35 for its overall package.
  • samaudisamaudi Member Posts: 10
    I had the opportunity to drive the BMW 528ix and M35x today and would have to say the M35 wins in terms of performance. It has a very nice interior and the engine note is beautiful!! They 528 has a nicER interior than the M35 but feels a little bit smaller...and whats with the smart key?? The m's exterior is so much nicer and it's a much better deal. The BMW just felt sluggish
    You need to drive the 535xi. Its much more on par with the M35. The 528 is quite inferior. I am sure you will find the 535xi much less sluggish.

The 528xi would be compared to a Hyundai Sonata.
  • kivikivi Member Posts: 12
    The problem with comparing 535xi vs M35x is that they are in rather different price categories. Here in Canada (where we are shafted on car prices, despite the fact that our dollar is now even slightly stronger than the $US) the bmw535xi prices out at just a hair under $80K (equipped similarly to a M35x with technology package) whereas the M35X has a price of about $67K.

lol... comparing the 528 to a sonata is a little harsh... :)
    Wow!!!! Thats a huge difference in Canada. Come to the states, its VERY different. If you walk into a BMW dealership and tell them youre looking at the M35, they will take you directky over to the 535xi. It also leases for almost the same due to the higher residual value. When i looked at the 530xi, it was $10 lower per month than the identical lease on my M35x.

They are taking advantage of you guys in Canada.

I as joking about the Sonata. You ever see that commercial with the Sonata and the 5 Series?
    I just picked up my 535xi and it is a terrific car...but the comparable lease cost is definitely higher then the M35x.........
    Where? I gues it depends on the dealership.
    Flemington (NJ)BMW...I got great pricing on the car....the same group owns Flemington Infiniti....I was able to compare.....
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/past-road-test/luxury-sedans-11-07/overv- iew/luxury-sedans-ov.htm

Mid-luxury sedans: The money class
    The Infiniti M35 is tops. And the new 'clean diesel' Mercedes E320 has that sweet smell of success

The Infiniti M35 is a class leader in our tests of mid-luxury sedans. But the other big news is that two versions of the freshened Mercedes-Benz E class are close in its rear-view mirror, with the new diesel-powered E320 BlueTec and its gasoline-powered twin, the E350. We tested the rear-wheel-drive base M35 as an update to the all-wheel-drive M35X that we had previously tested and that was our 2007 Top Pick for luxury cars. Not only did this version score nearly the same as the M35X, but it's one of the least expensive cars in the category. (See Infiniti M35: Still the one to beat, available to subscribers.)

The Mercedes-Benz E320 is the first of a new wave of "clean diesel" cars that we've tested. It achieved an impressive 29 mpg in overall fuel economy. (See "The Lexus GS 450h hybrid vs Mercedes-Benz E320 diesel," available to subscribers, for a comparison of the E320 and Lexus GS 450h Hybrid.) For this mid-luxury group, we also tested the freshened BMW 535i, now powered by a new twin-turbocharged engine; the redesigned Volvo S80; and the Lexus GS 450h. Prices for this group range from $45,305 for the Volvo to $60,172 for the Lexus. We tested two wheel-drive versions; each model is available with all-wheel drive.

BLENDING COMFORT AND HIGH TECH

Luxury cars are designed to cradle their occupants in comfort. They surround them with rich materials and a host of convenience features, and they typically have strong, refined engines to provide effortless acceleration. Many mid-luxury models also provide agile handling that adds a sporty dimension to their character.

The Infiniti M35 illustrates the range of driving characters you'll find. Both versions of the M35 are well-rounded, nimble cars that successfully blend sportiness with comfort. They are as capable handling a twisty road as they are cruising the highway. But they aren't as quiet as some other models. (Also see our test of Ultra luxury sedans.)

Several models now offer adaptive cruise control that uses radar to keep a car at a set distance behind a vehicle in front, slowing down or speeding up as necessary. The Volvo S80 takes that one step further. It uses the radar to determine whether you are approaching a car too quickly and, if you are, it will alert you to brake or even slow the car itself.

Copyright © 2000-2006 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission.
    These are quotes from Edmunds.com:

“An M35x AWD we tested sprinted to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and ran the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds. The V8-powered M45 hit 60 in 5.7 seconds and completed the quarter in 14.4 seconds.”

“This 2008 BMW 535i test car with an automatic transmission effectively equaled the acceleration of a 2006 BMW 550i equipped with a manual transmission. The 535i's 5.5-second acceleration to 60 mph proves a sedan doesn't need the 550i's V8 engine to be quick.”
    All Wheel Drive Vs. Rear Wheel Drive?
    Per the BMW web site, the AWD 535Xi is faster 0 - 60 than the RWD 535i.
  • klpeelklpeel Member Posts: 46
    Per the BMW web site, the AWD 535Xi is faster 0 - 60 than the RWD 535i.

This is not that unusual. I remember a couple of reviews of the new G35 sedan last year noting that the AWD version was quicker off the mark in early acceleration.
  • bman7bman7 Member Posts: 2
    Can't decide on the 2. Looking to lease. The deal on the M is about $75/month less than the E350. Any recent leasees??
This discussion has been closed.