Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M: auto-dimming side view mirrors

bcarterbcarter Member Posts: 3
I just purchased a 2000 Chrysler 300M and really love the self-dimming (electrochromatic) rear view mirror. I would like to get some side view mirrors with this technology but can't find it anywhere on the web. Does anyone know if any exist that would work and where can I get it?

Comments

• mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    You should have the self dimming on your drivers side mirror but not on the passenger one. I had it on my 01 300M.
  • bcarterbcarter Member Posts: 3
    Nope. According to Auto Trader, the 2002 M and the 2003 M Special had the self-dimming mirrors on both sides. Soooooo, I'm wondering if they would fit my 2000?
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Your dealer can add an auto-dimming mirrow accessory that will fit
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I know this is way old, but I have an '02 Special and only the driver's side mirror is auto dimming. I can't imagine they would put it on other 300Ms and not the Special in 2002, especially since the Special was the creme-de'-la-creme of the 300Ms.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    This a bit old but, the reason for Chrysler only putting a dimming mirror on the drivers side is cost measure, they were trying to save money, but at the same time Chrysler was taking out options out of the newer 300M's, for example I have a 2003 Special M, mine does not have the passenger dimming side mirror, no courtesy lights on the front doors, just red reflectors, no lighted ingition, I added that from a 1999 Chrysler, and there might be other stuff but that's just to give you an exmple.

Here is a picture of another 300M with a blue (mine is white) lighted ignition.
  • tellomantelloman Member Posts: 1
    This is an old topic, but how hard was it to install the lighted ignition? Can you buy it on the web?

Thanks!
  • bruhnskabruhnska Member Posts: 4
    I have the '02 300 M Special. My driver side mirror (with glare reducing or whatever--it looks yellow) seems to be coming off or somehting. I do not feel a seam where some would have ripped off and if i push on my mirror, it looks like its liquid that may be leaking out because it can move, but does not re-adhere like cling wrap. Any ideas?
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    A replacement self dimming mirror is outrageously expensive. Based on my experience with a 2001 Jeep the auto dimming side mirror is constructed by having an electro chromic substance between a regular heated mirror and a separate outer transparent pane. The electro chromic substance can discolor (probably due to water infilration) and obscure the mirror.

This is an old thread. If anyone wants to know, then I will explain my procedure for remedying this.
  • mr_b2mr_b2 Member Posts: 2
    yes, I am very interested to know what you did. One day I came outside to get in my car and the mirror was discolored. The glass is not broken but the mirror is discolored and hard to see out of.

Thanks,

Brad
    edited March 2011
    I tried to edit my lengthy reply and wiped it out! Here it goes again.

My procedure is based on my experience with a relative's 2001 Jeep.

The photochromic layer is between a outer clear pane and and an inner regular heated mirror bonded to the plastic backing. The simplest solution is to remove the outer pane and carefully remove any residual photochromic material. You end up with a heated mirror which is not autodimming.

To do this turn the mirror all the way out and unplug the photochromic connection which will be seen to enter the bezel. Do not mix up this with the wire which powers the heating element to the back of the mirror.

Then separate and remove the bezel with a razor scraper, perhaps starting at the seam at the bottom, center. Then separate the outer pane by using a gentle stream of water and a razor scraper as a wedge between the two panes of glass. Carefully scape away any residual brown photochromic material from the front surface of the mirror. Do not use an abrasive pad, some contain embeded alumina particles which will scrape the front surface of the heated mirror and ruin it.
  • mr_b2mr_b2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jim! I will try that this weekend. I am with you on the crazy price they have on a mirror replacement. Especially when the glass is not broken.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Brad
  • ashok5ashok5 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip, I followed these instructions and fixed my mirror. Just to add few points here:

1. The connector for dimming function is connected to the bezel and can be disconnected by titlting the mirror outwards.
    2. To drain the photochromatic liquid, I used paper towel to wick it out, thereby reducing the chance to get it on the panels.
    3. I fixed the bezel back using 100% silicon cauck, which will preven any water getting into the heating element area.

I really did not believe it would be so easy to fix the auto dimming mirror. Now I have all the features, i.e. heating, memory etc. and I don't care for the auto dimming any more.
    I don't think it is necessary to reattach the bezel. The bezel was there to hold the outer clear pane to the inner heated mirror and keep water from getting into the photochromic layer between the panes. The electric heating element is sealed and cemented to the back of the heated mirror. Ordinary heated mirrors do not have a bezel.
  • ashok5ashok5 Member Posts: 2
    You are correct. However, I also re-attached the bezel as without it the mirror was looking odd. Atleast, now, the mirror looks like original.