Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Yes, Nanuq I have one complaint in 17K. Why doesn't LR have the feature that Chevy, Ford etc. has with its cars and trucks? I am talking about when you turn the thing off, have yet to exit the vehicle and the power to the radio and windows are dead. What a annoyance if someone comes up to you to talk. I guess they want you to acutualy talk to this person face to face and don't want you to rock out with the car off.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    From the Discovery II Owners manual "The electric windows and sunroofs can be operated in position II and for up to 45 seconds after the starter switch is turned to position 0 (off) provided a door has not been opened in the meantime." If your vehicle will not do this, there is a problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    nanuq,

Don't you just absolutely hate it when your Land Rover's tires pick up pebbles and you have to drive all around with that obnoxious clackety-clack! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    There you go, a VALID COMPLAINT about my truck!!! Sheesh, these deep-tread snot tires pick up all these darn rocks and then it's "clickety clickety clickety" for MILES.

Oh, and one more complaint: the paint on the underside of my hitch receiver just comes right off when I grind it on boulders. I mean, what were these people thinking?!

;)
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I got a complaint!

My girlfriend followed me off-road (In a MY03 Rangey.. WOW.. but that is OT) in a 99 Series 2 over the weekend and got it all covered with mud.

Its' a piece of inventory (Im a dealer.. the trade-in values guy if you follow smart shopper) and I left it out front covered in mud Yesterday. HAHA! Well.. umm.. today I had to wash it :(

Bill
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Well, after owning two Discovery II's, and posting many times in the past, for those of you having concerns about a LR purchase, let me re
    emphasize: I've got 27,000 miles on my '00 DII and have yet to have a problem. I can NOT say that about the 7 new Mercedes', 2 BMW's, and 4 Toyota's I've owned. This Disco is the absolute best, trouble-free, and reliable vehicle I've ever owned (except for my 82 MB 240D)- and I've had some 28 new, and several used vehicles. If you want a LR, get it, treat it right, and enjoy!!
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I finally got my film back from my day at the Land Rover Off Road Driving School in Manchester, VT. Unfortunately, only a couple came out as our camera appears to be pooping out. The Videotape came out much better.

This first picture is us climbing up the rock ledge staircase. That's my buddy Jack hanging out the window.

And here we are... stuck. :-) The driver's side front wheel was wedged on a ledge that acted as a wheel chock and we rotated (sidelipped) around that point as the other tires dug for traction. The back end is buried in a bank so we couldn't back up. That tree is actually about 2 feet from the truck... it looks closer in the pictures. We winched the rest of the way up.

• dan_mdan_m Member Posts: 7
    I am going to wait and purchase an '03 LR Discovery II but had a few questions: I actually like the SD model but need the trailer hitch. I have looked on the internet for aftermarket hitches but I having a hard time locating one. How hard is it to find parts on these vehicles? I am thinking in terms of push bars, hitches, brakes etc....
    I have visited three dealerships in my area and it looks like they are offering really good deals on 02 models but I think I will wait for the larger motor and locking center diff. With the company I work for I can get the X-plan so I think it would be worth waiting for the new model.
    I know this the heated seat discussion has gone around for quite some time but I am not sure of the outcome. If you do not order the heated seat option, what do you have to do to add these yourself? I think the wiring harness is the same but for all models but not sure if all seats come with the heating elements.
    Besides the hitch kit along with an extensive list of accessories being available at Land Rover retailers, there are quite a few aftermarket sources for parts and accessories. Most are specialized in Land Rovers, so you wont find much at your local shops due to low volume of U.S. sales. The SD from late 2001 on does not have the heating elements installed in the seat.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Sporin - looks like a lot of fun at the driving school!

Let's see - it's been months since I posted here. Recap of the past couple of months.

1. 16000 on the '01 DII - running like it was built by BMW or something - flawless :)
    2. Sold my D90 to a work friend 2 months ago - I sure miss her but don't miss the payment! (looking for a solid SIII 109 now...)
    3. Have been pretty lame (no offroading, two-tracking, etc.) but hope to change that July 4th weekend when I head to the hills for 3 days of camping
    4. Went to the unveiling of the new Range Rover. I can honestly say, this will probably be my next vehicle in 4-5 years. Simply amazing!

That's all for now. Headed to Scotland for a week of vacation. We're flying into London and driving north. Taking the digital camera and hope to get lots of photos of Rovers new and old while there! Will be passing through Solihull on the way up. Tincup - do they do tours that you know of?

Plan to check out some of the old castles, the rural countryside, the ocean, and of course the Scotch Distilleries! :) Wish me luck - driving with a right handed steering wheel on the wrong side of the road with a few stiff scotches in me :)

Cheers, wasko
  • dan_mdan_m Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information. I currently own a Jeep Cherokee and have never had a problem finding parts for it because they made a zillion of them. I really like the DII but I have to say it's a lot of money and want to make sure that it will be able to fit my needs. Boy that winch in sporin's picture would really be nice......:)
    If you are a cheapo like me, own oil changes etc., I would also look for parts at the wrecking yards. I own a SD and fitted it nicely and cheaply at my local LR wrecker. Hitches $100, mats $35, CD changer $200. Not too many DIIs (3 years in US), but most parts, other than body, are in pretty good shape. After you drive it off the lot what is it other than a used car?
  • coakescoakes Member Posts: 1
    Help!! Like everyone else out there, I REALLY need a towing harness for a 99 disco series II. If anyone would like to sell one, I am buying. I can't imagine Land Rover trying to sell the "do anything, go anywhere" vehicle without being able to supply the consumer with a very basic, but important part. This vehicle is worthless to me without the harness. All responses greatly appreciated.

C.W.Oakes
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I had a dealer tell me today that the release on the new discos has been delayed to August or September. Has anyone else heard this?
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    How hard is it to change oil and filter on a Disco II?

Kevin
    Every maintenance item on a Series II is easy. Oil changes 15 minutes tops. I tried the ol' fill the filter with oil before installing(what a crock of advise, it must be a British thing), but most of it runs out trying install it through the hoses and frame members and at a downward angle. I think I will go back to the tried and true, use the oil pump to fill it. After all, it is just a modernized Buick V-8 and us in the ol' US have been doing oil changes the same for many years without engine damage. With the heigth of the rig getting under it is a breeze. Even my gut fits easily. The drain plug is readily accessible and the fill is wide and tall so a funnel is not needed. My advise, do everything yourself, LR has designed it for DIY.
    You'll find they're all pretty easy to do, and you should change them all at least annually. The old saying is "Oil is cheaper than metal" and applies here.

The transmission is a cakewalk to change, and after the 30k service requires no additional service...EVER...except for fluid changes (this is for the DI). The swivels are a little harder to drain/fill, but not too bad. Make sure you turn the wheels all the way left when working on the left swivel, and vice versa. Clean the fill plugs with a wire brush before removing. The transfer case is easy to empty, and a pain to fill... the fill hole is waaaay up between the Y-pipes. But still doable. The diffs are easy to change, use a 1/2" socket wrench to remove the plugs. A little Hylomar dabbed to the threads keeps them from weeping.

The power steering system on the DI is easy to keep fresh: I use a turkey baster and suck out ATF from the catch tank as the engine idles, turning the wheels side to side, then replenish it. Do it 3 or 4 times and you'll change a good % of the fluid in there. The brake fluid is likewise easy to keep fresh: I'm just REALLY liberal with the flushing process as I bleed the lines, pumping a lot of fluid thru each caliper as I bleed the bubbles after every brake pad change... which happens about 1x a year.

As you're crawling around working over the lube changes, keep an eye for any misted fluids leaking from anywhere and tighten things that look like they make be leaking. Just keep and eyeball on things and don't be afraid to get grubby. Your truck will love you for it!

Expert: the thinking behind the "fill the filter with oil" routine is that oil pumps have been known to lose their prime on the early engines. Once that happens it requires disassembly of the oil pump and packing it with Vaseline to reprime.

Best regards, -Bob
    I can't believe it!! I have worked on hundreds of cars and owned many from 4-8cyl., Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Datsun etc. and have NEVER heard of that. Maybe the oil pump isn't the only thing that gets packed with vaseline with the earlier LR engines. Did their owners at least get a reached around when they bought these rigs?
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone know of a reliable online retailer that sells 16" wheels at a resonable price. I have an '01 Disco with Ace and it came with the 18" wheels. 16" wheels would sure give me a little more confidence when off roading...

PS. Also looking for a roof rack, any one have any suggestions on pricing and brands? The dealer price is outrageuos?

Odiopus
    Like I have said before, the greatest source is your local LR wrecking yard. These DIIs' have only been here for 3 years so the used parts are almost brand new and greatly discounted.
  • soylentsoylent Member Posts: 25
    From 6.25.02 LA Times:

"3 SUVs at Bottom of Rollover Ratings"

"The 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche,two door Ford Explorer and Land Rover Discovery Series II 4x4 received the the lowest rollover ratings among the latest group of sport utility vehicles to be rated by the federal government............two out of a possible five stars............"

no mention of side impact crash test results......
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the NHTSA Press Release.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Tincup:

When do you expect the 2003 Discos to start hitting the showroom floors? I have called 5 differnt dealers and gotton 5 different answers. Do you know if there is a price increase?

Thx

Kevin
  • bradlake1bradlake1 Member Posts: 48
    Kevin:

The Land Rover dealership in North Atlanta (Duluth, GA), told me yesterday that they expect arrival of the 2003 Discos on July 10. Is this close to what you heard from dealershps in your area??
    bradlake1:
    Yes, I have heard early July, but I have also heard late August and September also. This is for the San Francisco Bay Area. Are you waiting for one? Have you heard about pricing yet?

Kevin
  • charlie2k2charlie2k2 Member Posts: 15
    KKone (Kevin),

I'm not in the Bay area, but I am at least with you in California (Orange County). The local dealer here gets them July 6. The cost increase given to me is approximately $1500-2000 more than current pricing. I don't think anyone will know the EXACT figure until they are able to stare at the vehicles in their lot.

I'll try to post the cost increase on the sixth if I can get it. It will only be four days sooner than the arrival date given by 'bradlake1' in Georgia, but what the hey!

Charlie2K2
    Iv'e heard Aug. or Sept. as well. Los Angeles area.
    Just got a call from Rocklin (Sacramento) Land Rover. They got 3 2003 Discos today (6/26). Sale price is MSRP, since the 2002 are selling for $200 over invoice. They quoted me $1000 more than last year. Dealer will be calling me back on 6/27 with a lease quote, so I will get the exact price increase and post it. So they are finally hitting the dealers, earlier than I thought based on what everyone was saying.
    Thanks for the updated info on the '03's. Let us know when you test drive one.
  • 3suvguy3suvguy Member Posts: 1
    My wife drove the new disco today. I rode in the back. Impressed with the acceleration. Dealer would let it go for invoice, $38995. He's getting more in next week.
    My question is, since I've never owned a Land Rover, how reliable are they? Do they tend to get loose and develop rattles? Has anyone had a rollover incident?

Any advice, comments postitive or negative would be appreciated. Thanks
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    3suvguy,

I think you meant MSRP not invoice unless that puppy was loaded.

The 2002 MSRP is $37,795 so a $1200 bump or about 3% would put the 2003 at $38,995.

For those considering the DII, my 2001 is 3 weeks shy of a year and has over 20k miles. I have been to the dealer about 6 times, for oil changes and scheduled service :-). The dealership provides fantastic service. The people working there love these trucks and truly believe in customer service.

If only the windshield weren't such a magnet for rocks and all other road debris...
  • upsguyfriscoupsguyfrisco Member Posts: 4
    At my local center they have had a few come in in the last week (Frisco Tx). They look good with the new light setup. The 2003 DII SE was base priced at $38,350 and the 2003 DII S was 34,850 I think. Not a big jump although I did notice that the first three scheduled maintenance visits were free. I went over and checked a 2002 and they did not have that listed. The extra horsepower seems well worth the bump in price. Now if only they would put a better nav system in than that wacky Becker unit it would be an easier sell. My wife likes the pretty maps and ease of use in the MDX and X5, and now she wants to wait on the Volvo XC90 (the car like rides are'nt helping either). Its going to be a tough sell but I've got my fingers crossed for our test drive of an 2003 DII HSE when they come in.
  • 2001discosd12001discosd1 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted $150 dollars for an owners manual from Dallas Land Rover! Any suggestions for finding one cheaper? I bought my Disco used, and it didn't come with a manual.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    These owners manuals and the video's that come with these vehicle's are readily available on E-Bay. Prior to purchasing my Discovery, I acquired both video's and owners manuals off of E-Bay. You should have no problem finding them there.You should be able to get an owners manual for around thirty dollars or less.
    Regards,
    The quote for the manual you got was for a complete owners wallet that had a leather binder, service documents, etc. That is actually discontinued. There will be a paper manual available, P/N LRN2001DSCWP (for 2001) that has a suggested list price of $25.00. Your dealer can place an order for you and it will be sent when available.
    ...unless what you're really looking for is the Workshop manual. For my '96 Disco there are three separate manuals; the Workshop alone costs between $80 - $100 on eBay. But it's well worth it!
  • clownconsultinclownconsultin Member Posts: 2
    Had a brake job at 34k, brakes still squeal at low speeds. Back to dealer, he deglossed the rotors but said "well, it's a heavy truck and you'll have squeaky brakes". Is that a valid response, or should I get a 2nd opinion?

'99 DII, 35k flawless miles.
    There is a guy on discoweb that has photos of a 2003 SE Disco.
    Nope, they shouldn't squeal. I'm on my 4th set of pads (72k miles) and never a squeal yet.

There's all kinds of stuff available to make them stop squealing. As easy as it is to change out the pads yourself, you could try pulling the pads and using some of that goo that goes on back of the pads. It might do the trick!

As an afterthought, how many miles since the pads were installed? Maybe they just need to "bed in" to the rotors to get a better fit, then they'll get quiet?

LORD LUCAS DISCLAIMER:
    This lump of British iron is the most wonderful (whoops, HORRENDOUS) arrangement of well thought out (whoops JUNKY) parts I've ever had the pleasure (whoops AGONY) to crawl beneath. She runs like an absolute dream (whoops CRIPPLED ARMADILLO) and has never (whoops CONTINUOUSLY) let me down. She drips lube (gotta keep this one) on my garage floor but that's okay... "if it ain't leaking, it's empty" applies here.

With tongue firmly in cheek and Lord Lucas repelled for another month, -Bob
  • dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    They have constant fluid leaks from the engine,transmission,front & rear diffs & transfer case. They also have constant electrical problems, If you have one in a hot climate like New Mexico the heater case inside the dash warps due to the heat this is the only vehicle that has ever had this kind of problem. If you want a well made vehicle get a Ford suv, If you want a British Yugo get a Land Rover. That way your vehicle will be in the shop almost as much you drive it. Maybe now that Ford owns Land Rover they can help them make better quality vehicles.
    {cough}troll{cough}

I'm board, so I think I'll pop into this friendly topic and insult everyone's marque of choice. Lame.
    I saw and test drove a 2003 Disco on 7/6/02. It was awesome! The 4.6 engine with 20% more tourque really has done the trick. It now has the "get up and go" when getting on the freeway (for a 5K lbs truck). Very peppy around town. Here is some marketing info I got from Land Rover. They still do not have all of their final information on pricing even though they have the cars. There are 3 models now: S, SE and HSE and then seven passenger seating is S7, SE7 and HSE7. Base price S-$34,350, S7-$35,350, SE-$38,350, SE7-$39,350, HSE-$40,350, HSE7-$41,350. About $1,100 price increase over 2002. For the $1,100 you get the Range Rover 4.6L, Exterior face lift (That looks awesome!) New interior colors, FREE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE (Big Plus since prepay maint. package from Land Rover is about $500), Quality Actions: 700+ new Parts. All three models get different style wheels. The HSE gets the 6 spoke 18" wheels as seen on the Land Rover WWW. The SE gets the 18" wheels that came on the 2002 and the S gets 16" 6 spoke wheels.

Kevin
    Are the 2 new interior colors in addition to or the only colors available? Is the center diff lock standard or an option?
    Sporin from the Daewoo Leganza forum and back for another visit, Dodgeram10. Dodge, I thought we were done with you a while back? Now you are praising a Ford Exploder as your rig of choice? Your diatribe might be valid with the early 99s' and below, but my 2000 is a dream. 18K and nary a weep from anything. I live where the temps are often over 100 degrees for 30 days on end and no warpage of anything. Maybe you should check your facts, get current and go back to your praising of the famous, tranny and engine and A/C and rear end and etc. etc. Cherokees and leave us alone.
    Sporin, what bashing Daewoo is no fun now that they are history? Are you trying to draw a comparision here with Dodgeram10 that LR=Daewoo=Yugo? Ok! Love to talk to you. We hope that Ford doesn't mess LR up too much as they have with Volvo and Jag. Did you see the latest 5 mph crash results lately?
    You must have misread me. I was calling Dodgeram10 a troll for coming in hear and flaming the nice Rover owners for no reason. I I hate trolls and people who post flame-bait. it wrecks otherwise pleasent discussions.

I am a HUGE Rover fan and hoping to buy a used Disco in the future. I've been planning a Series III 109 project for years, and am a regular at www.discoweb.org. Scroll up a ways and you will see my post of my lovely day at the Land Rover Offroad Driving School... pictures too.

Clearly, I'm not the enemy here.

btw... I'm not sure I've ever been in the Daewoo topics. I know there were some Daewoo owners in the Passat topic back when I owned one who were trying to convince us Passaters that we wasted our money because a Leganza was "just as good for less money." :-)

Ancient history.
    mrwhipple:

There are only two interior colors now. Beige and Black.

Kevin
    A close friend of mine just traded in her Dodge Ram because it blew its second transmission in 12 months, and had to be towed home 120 miles from where the electrical system failed. Her boyfriend just did the same, trading in on a replacement Dodge Ram because he had gone thru 3 transmissions... but his truck luckily didn't die that far from home.

Let's see, is this a familial, genetic flaw? Or just coincidence? Let's continue...

My youngest sister-in-law just traded in her 1-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Why? Transmission died (yes, twice) and it went into "I'm dead so I'll limp home" mode at the top of Turnagain Pass. The towtrucks made some BIG money on her that day. Out of pure frustration, she threatened the dealer and they let her trade it back in! And what did she get? A Dodge Durango. And it's ALREADY giving her transmission problems, with less than 1,000 miles on it.

Hmmmmmmm. Seems to be a genetic flaw. Let's look further:

My newest sister-in-law traded in her Jeep Grand Cherokee because she had gone through (only) one transmission but also a front axle and a transfer case, in two years.

Hmmmmmm. It's looking pretty bad for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Any other misadventures? Further...

My eldest sister-in-law has a Chrysler minivan and at 70k miles it's on the 3rd transmission and rattles like a coffee can full of bearings. But it IS paid off.

In the meantime, I've put 60k miles on my Rover and it has never EVER failed me, hiccuped, dripped or done anything even remotely bizarre. She will be paid off in 2 months, whereas my sisters in law now have payments for durations of 5 years each. Gladly, MY five years of payments have got me a vehicle I can trust, which will last many more years.

I personally wouldn't take a Dodge product if it was given to me, free and clear. It's not bigotry, it's concern for having to walk home from the places I like to go. Yes, that big curvaceous front end is handsome, but it means nothing when you're concerned about what lies beneath the sheetmetal.

Best regards, -Bob
  • charlie2k2charlie2k2 Member Posts: 15
    ...I said I'd post the MSRP for the 2003 Discos as soon as I got them (was supposed to be on the 6th). It looks reasonably close to what others are getting, even with the differences in areas. Here in Anaheim Hills the numbers look like this:

S-model, 35095

SE-model, 39095

HSE-model, 41945

These are for the standard seating (not seven) models. Like I said, pretty close in cost, but they do enjoy charging us a little more down here in Orange County. I guess they figure we're snootier and deserve it! ;-)

FYI, Charlie2K2

Thanks for the info on that. Appreciate it.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Wonderful post.

Best time I had in the '03 Rangey I just sold?

Pulling a smartaleck from Gainesville's Durango out of the mud. In high range. To prove a point.

HAHA! :)

Bill
    Surrounded by Rovers and lovin it!