Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    6,002 miles later, we are home from our trip west towing our travel trailer. Thought it might be helpful to some of you to hear of our truck experiences.

The wind played a huge factor on towing ability and mileage. If the truck had to go head into any wind above 10mph or even a wind coming at her from the side, we drove in 3rd at around 55-60 mph. Mileage was then lower...around 5.5-7 mpg. If no wind and flat to hilly terrain, we kept her in drive and she would do anything from 65-75 mph with no problem. Mileage would range from 7-9.5 mpg which we thought was okay. We were pleased with this performance being that the trailer weighs 5,000 plus pounds. Probably towing would be best if the trailer would be under 4,500 lbs.

We towed the trailer up and down some pretty serious elevations and grades and although she did 'okay' we and the truck were fairly stressed out by the time we were done and think we might buy a used Rangey with more towing capacity for the next big trip. By saying she did 'okay' I mean that she made up every 9,000 ft mountain and the lowest speed we came to was 25 mph. We were just happy to make it.

Before we left we tried to acquire an extra trans cooler but were told that LR doesn't make one and no one we talked to was quite sure what to do with a Disco that needed one. Ultimately it was decided that it wouldn't be needed. WRONG. Our trans oil light came on during one of our toughest climbs, so we had to park it for a while on the side of the mountain waiting for everything to cool off. We will now have the trans flushed and filter replaced and will be looking to have an additional cooler installed.

In an earlier message Nanuq, you mentioned that the brakes shouldn't squeal. Mine didn't til toward the end of the trip. Now when they are used enough to get warm, they squeal at stops. During the trip, I felt the rotors to make sure there was no uneven wear and found them smooth except for the outer edge which is higher than the rest of the rotor, as if it's not getting touched by the pads. Is that normal, or have the pads been installed incorrectly? (They've been on for about 12,000 mi.) What type/brand of pad should I replace them with and how many miles are they good for? What goo are you talking about?

All in all, we thought the truck did well with what she had to deal with. I really enjoyed the looks from other LR owners and campers pulling their trailers. Too cool!!! The scenery was beautiful and we knew that we could go just about anywhere we wanted to in the truck to look for wildlife and less accessible treasures in Montana and Wyoming.

Hopefully some will find this info useful.

Kim
  • Options
    bilpitbilpit Member Posts: 1
    hey guys, need help!! i have a mitsu montero sport with 13000 miles...great but time to change it....i like the disco any idea how much will it cost, the base model if there is a base model any specials rebate etc etc will go for 2002 hoping to get a better deal. Buried in the Mitsu!! AND how is the reliability? kind of cold feet about it..HELP!PLEASE
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you're "buried" in the Mitsu, I doubt that you're going to get above water by buying any new car. But something tells me you aren't looking for gratuitous financial advice :-)

Try looking at the True Market Value and the Incentives and Rebates pages while waiting for feedback from the owners here. Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Nanuq-

Brakes were just really glazed, all better now. Thanks anyway.

Truck has 'acquired' some leaks, (power steering and oil) looking into how bad & the fix it bill. If it's going to be extensive, may sell it & buy either 03 Disco or a used Rangey. Would like to have one of everything LR in the drive, so it's hard to decide.

Kim
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    You know the old adage... "If it's not leaking, then it's empty". It's sort of tongue in cheek, but also not something I really worry about. Take a look at your power steering hoses up front... mine take a twist on the hose clamps twice a year to keep them from oozing. Oil leaks... hmmmmmmm. Take a twist on your oil pan bolts. How about the valve covers? Where's it coming from? You may still have some cork gaskets and going to rubber will solve it once and for all. It did with mine.

Let me know how it comes along! And it's nice hearing about your trip. Yeah! Too bad you didn't come just a wee bit further north. :)

-Bob
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    A dealer told me they would deal for a couple of thousand under MSRP on '02's with special APR, 2.9 or 3.9. Can't remember which though. But no dice on the '03's
  • Options
    kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    MRWhipple:

I am picking up my '03 Disco next week. I was able to get a discount of $1000 below MSRP. Silver with Black interior and Cold Climate. I was lucky to get a discount on the '03. Most dealerships are staying at MSRP.

Kevin
  • Options
    That's a great deal right now. None of them are budging. What area are you in?
  • Options
    mrwhipple:

I am in Northen California (San Francisco Bay Area), but I am driving 3 1/2 hours south to get this deal, because they have the price and color and equipment I am looking for. When I first started working with this dealer, he was going to do $1,500 back of MSRP for a 2002. I suspect he will do $1,500 back of MSRP in a few months. This really upsets some of the other dealers in California. But at the end of the day, I need to take care of my wallet first.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's a really nice ride.

There is definitely a difference in the braking and suspension improvements with the '03. Sharper braking and a smoother ride. Not that the older models were rough or anything. I test drove an '02 right after and it was noticible. The bigger engine had "get up & go" and was great on the freeway for passing juice.

It's too bad they don't offer the Bahama Beige interior anymore. That black/cream combination is a little on the light side. Looks like a a little too much cleaning time involved with that color. The black interior is nice. The very light gray from above the door line on up helps open it up. It's not as claustrophobic as most black interiors.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    clownconsultinclownconsultin Member Posts: 2
    They are squealing again now that the deglazing has become reglazed. Warped rotors perhaps? I am very agitated that my premium vehicle sounds like an old newspaper truck, particularly in town. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    I doubt it's warped rotors... do you feel any pulsing in the brake pedal as you stop?

If it was me, I'd pull the pads and paint on some of that goo that you get at auto parts stores. If that didn't do it, I'd suspect the pads are just not "right" for your style of driving. Maybe they're too hard and you don't wear them fast enough with your driving style?

I've tried many different brands on my DI and the aftermarket Wagners were great: no squeal and they worked great in the rain.

Factory pads have these bizarre little spring steel biscuits that press into the caliper pistons to hold the pads from squealing; other brands have a soft coating on the back. Look around and see what's available.

How fast are your pads wearing? I'm on my 4th set at 70k miles. Perhaps mine wear so quickly they never have time to glaze? Maybe you need to do some good hard stops at offramps and things to scrub 'em yourself.

These trucks thrive on regular hard use... take her out and give her hell once in awhile, she'll thank you for it.

Good luck, -Bob
  • Options
    If you remember I was having intermittent knocking sounds on cold start all last Spring and late last Fall. Over Winter it seemed to stop. I've guessed now that it was my oil choice.

During winter I use Castrol Syntec 5-50w and love how it lets me start in way cold temps. I had been using Castrol 10-40w GTX for Fall/Spring and had never had trouble with it; but I had that persistent knock.

I tried Castrol 10-30w and Pennzoil 10-30w this summer and my knock is gone using both, good riddance! Note also I *never* use oil additives and she runs like a scalded cat without them.

FWIW, I've kept using the same filter for consistency's sake: Purolator Premium One. Wix 51515 is also a good one.

Regards, -Bob
  • Options
    Drove one, loved it. Noticeable difference with the new engine. Console is smaller, may be mistaken but it seemed the sunroofs didn't open as far as they used to. Like I said, I might be wrong,. Handled well and still felt like a rover to me which is important. A sales rep described the ride in the new Rangey as feeling like a Lincoln. This confused me as I couldn't understand why anyone wanting a LR would want their vehicle to 'feel like a Lincoln', but the Disco still feels like a Rover. I love that solid truck feeling!!! Some other postings mentioned an HSE7. My dealer isn't sure they will make the 7 seater in anything but the SE. If anyone knows for sure, could you let me know? Also, does anyone have %'s or figures for the X plan on the '03's?

Thanks,
    Kim
  • Options
    craniocranio Member Posts: 4
    I drove a 2003 HSE I liked it alot. But I also like the 2002. My dealer is willing to sell me a 2002 Westminster edition black with grey int for $35185.00. Not sure if I should just go with the 2003. Does anybody know when the all new series III will be available. Tincup you usually know what's going on I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    With the 2003 model year, the Series II name is going away. They are just Discovereys again. They are not Series III models. The 2003 models are at the dealerships now, as several people posting here have stated. Other than colors and a new headliner, there are no changes to the interior on the 03 Discovery that I know of. The console is the same as the earlier models. I don't know yet what changes may be in store for the 04 MY, I'm still finding out details on the 03 Model.
  • Options
    dan_mdan_m Member Posts: 7
    I had the LR dealer call me Friday trying to sell me a Westminster addition for $35,495 that's $5,000 off MSRP. Basically told me that by end of August he will not have anymore 2002's in stock.
  • Options
    charlie2k2charlie2k2 Member Posts: 15
    Mr. Emmons,

I purchased a 2003 Discovery SE on the 9th. VERY nice vehicle. Here in Anaheim Hills, Ca., MSRP for it is $39,095. With the X-plan, it is $37,400. That is $1,695 discounted. Also, you'll get 15% off of accesories with the X-plan (you might need it, the accessories' prices have increased!).

Charlie2K2

P.S. Almost forgot, I got the Zambezi Siver with the Black Leather interior. I believe the black exterior paint job will run you another $300 onto the MSRP. Also, in California there is a $100 emissions fee, so if your state doesn't have this type of fee, you should be able to deduct that. FYI
  • Options
    Charlie2k2, Thanks for your input on the 03. Have you been told what package the 7 seater will come in? When you mentioned accessories, are you referring to the cold climate, ace, etc? Is your price of $39,095 without any of these features? We're looking at a SE, black (It is $300 for the Java paint), cold climate and ace. Factor in the x-plan and the price is $40,492. We're hoping if we can find someone getting a better deal online that our sales rep will try to do better on the price. He asked us to tell him if we found a better deal when we crunched numbers in his office. I figured it can't hurt to try.

tincup,
    When I mentioned the console seeming smaller, I was referring to the width compared to my series 1. My husband and I noticed it right off, maybe we were mistaken. How do you like the new look?

nanuq,
    changed the plugs yesterday trying to get the truck to run better. She's been running a bit rough since we got back from the trip. They were toast.... really corroded. We're going to check the source of the leaks and will try the things you suggested. I think she might have a valve cover leak, and that gasket looks to be original. I don't think the oil leak is from anywhere further down than that. I'm crossing my fingers. How often do you clean your injectors? Do you do it?

Thanks guys,
    Kim
  • Options
    denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    Again your advice is very timely... I was changing my oil a couple of weeks ago and noticed my power steering fluid was leaking a little bit. I thought it was time to make an appointment at the shop when I read your advice to kim about tightening the hose clamps. I naturally assumed it would take something more intensive (meaning expensive) to fix the problem. So I went right home after work got out the orange cleaner and cleaned up all traces of the leak. Tightened the clamps about a turn and a half and so far so good. Again thanks for you insight.
  • Options
    Denver, I'm glad it was helpful. These really are pretty simple trucks.

Kim, I never have cleaned my injectors. To soothe my feelings of guilt (grin) I switch back and forth between Chevron and Texaco supreme; they have different additive packages and the two seem to do a good job of keeping things clean topside. My truck idles just slightly rough too, but I don't worry about it.

Has anyone noticed the BAD idling/running after a hard climb, then you leave her parked for awhile? I start back up and she refuses to idle for half a minute... I have to keep the revs up until she settles down. The shop here says it's because the fuel line lives in the valley of the "vee" and it gets hot enough to vaporize the fuel. When you restart it pushes fuel thru the lines and cools them, turning the vapor back to liquid again. Simple and logical!

Best regards, -Bob
  • Options
    What is the proper way to break in a new engine? How many miles is considered the break in period? Should the oil be changed immediately after that break in period?

Kevin
  • Options
    charlie2k2charlie2k2 Member Posts: 15
    Mrs. Emmons (sorry about the "Mr." earlier),

The $39,095 is the base SE price here in my area. It does not have the ACE. I'm not sure what you mean by "Cold Climate". If you mean the Dual Zone Climate Control System, then yes, it does have that. If instead you mean rear air conditioning controls, then no, it does not have that. The rear AC controls come with the Occasional Seating (third-row seats) option. I purchased the standard seating SE (I think those little third-row seats are somewhat silly. They are WAY too small for humans, even little ones! I would have got them if they were still facing sideways.) and have the extra cargo space containers in place of the occasional seats.

I don't know what limitations have been placed on the seven-seat models. Perhaps someone here can shed more light on the matter. Also, I believe Kkone provided some figures from a dealership in post #1991. (?)

By "accessories" I mean not "options". Accessories include rubber floor mats, Adventure roof rack, waterproof seat covers, etc. I believe the other things such as ACE, SLS, etc. are referred to as options --- but I could easily be mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time!

$40,492 for an SE with extra options (ACE, SLS, Java Black, etc.) doesn't sound too bad to me, but almost everything in my area seems to cost a bit more than many other areas in the nation so my opinion should probably be taken "with a grain of salt". If they won't come down on the price, try to get them to throw in something extra like wheel locks (those lug nut thingys) or something. Like you say, it's worth a try!

Charlie2K2

P.S. The Java Black is nice!
  • Options
    I believe 1,000 miles is about standard for break in (engine). 500 miles for brakes.
  • Options
    rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    "kkone", many people will tell you that "break-in" is no longer necessary - bullcrap !! Proper break-in is as follows: 1. no reving of engine past 3000 rpm first 500 miles; 2. rev to 4500 on occasion for next 500 miles - then drive however you like; 3. keep speed below 65-70 mph and do NOT drive at any one speed/rpm for more than 15 minutes at a time for first 1000 miles; 4. change oil/filter after 1000 miles, then every 3000 after; follow this proceedure and I will guarantee you will not burn oil for at least 300,000 miles. (PS: proceedure learned through Mercedes training beginning 1975, and still applicable today). I've never had a vehicle use oil or have engine trouble in 35 years and I have 200,000+ mileage vehicles.
  • Options
    upsguyfriscoupsguyfrisco Member Posts: 4
    My local dealer just got 3 HSE7s in yesterday. Someone was asking if they would be available on here the other day. They had everything you could want on them (ace,heated seats,reaer ac,etc...) and the priced totalled a little over $45,000.
  • Options
    discofrk75discofrk75 Member Posts: 7
    I know this may be a dumb question, what is the "X-Plan"? I've been obsessing about the 03' Discovery. I've finally decided to do it, I'm going to the dealer tonight to finalize the deal. If someone could get back to me ASAP, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm, I wouldn't go higher than 2k RPMs for the first 500 miles, and I'd keep it under 3k RPMs until 1000 miles. I'd also change the oil/filter at 500 miles and 1000 miles. Then I'd follow RKoesler's advice the rest of the way.

Another good trick is to find a nice downhill and let it slow you with compression braking frequently during break-in; that lets the oil wash the particles from the upper cylinder walls better.

In the winter you want to follow similar advice: when it's below freezing, don't take her over 2k RPMs until you feel warmth from the heaters. That gets the oil thin enough to lube well before you rev her up.

Enjoy your new truck! -Bob

ps: similar break-in schedules apply for the trans, xfer box, diffs, etc. Just remember "Oil is cheaper than metal".
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Is ford Supplier pricing.

Good info on break-in too! Take care of these suckers and they run forever. I was at the auction last night and saw a VERY clean loaded 95 5-speed with 157K miles. It purred like a kitten. Had the seller been even remotely reasonable, I might have bought it. It was that nice.

I'm certainly not afraid of miles on a well-maintained Disco. But a poorly maintained one is a nightmare.

Bill
  • Options
    bradlake1bradlake1 Member Posts: 48
    My wife and I recently test drove the 02 and 03 DISCOs. She absolutely loves it. I think they are neat also but.... I found them to be small. I am 6'1 and 270lbs. The driver seat seemed to be lacking shoulder room as well as my right knee constantly hit the steering column with my leg not being able to fully extend. The salesperson only commented "you are a big guy" and offer no sugestions about manipulating the seat. I would like to believe there are DISCO owners larger than myself. Are my observations common amongst DISCO drivers similar to my height, size? I am hoping that DISCO owners can offer advice or confirm that the vehicle does not cater to larger people. Also.....I thought it was me but getting into the back seat through the narrow doors was a challenge.
  • Options
    Could you please elaborate on the X-Plan? How could I take advantage of such plan? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks...
  • Options
    I'm a Big Fella myself; I stand 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh in at 285. It is a bit tight up front, however, the enjoyment of driving the Discovery was well worth the cramped environment.

I also find the rear seat access to be a bit narrow. The doors don't open wide enough I think.

I didn't notice much difference in the drivability and comfort between the 02' and 03.
  • Options
    I'm 6-2.5" and I weight a good 250-260 and I fit fine... he should have offered to adjust the seat for you! weird...

As far as X-Plan goes, it's for Ford Motor Company suppliers (And their employees). It is 104% of the Employee price. Members of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc) also get it after 1 full year of membership.

Now, whether or not they would even do X-Plan deals on '03 discos is another thing..

Bill
  • Options
    Thanks Brent. I was hoping to take advantage of that deal. I live in NYC and had to go to NJ to get a good deal. Really great guys in Paramus. Got a 03' SE7 w/ Cold Climate and Rear A/C for $40450 and they gave me a good amount on my 2000 VW. I wanted the Navigation System, until I found out it was the Becker NAV. I'll just have to rely on my IPaq to get me around.

Thanks again...

PS
    The Java Black is beautiful...
  • Options
    Yeahup! Java Black looks great.

But too hot for here in Florida. We mainly sell White Gold, White, Silver, etc...

Bill
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice on the break in period. You are right that the dealer said that there was no need to follow a break in procedure, but I followed a procedure anyways. I bought my car 200 miles away from the San Francisco, because I got a discount (Under MSRP) and they had the color, equipment and interior color that I wanted. Got 14 mpg over 200 miles and had to cross one mountain pass. Silver w/Black SE, Cold Climate package. Thanks for everyones advice!
  • Options
    HAH! I'm 6'5" and 235#! Take that! But I do know what you mean, the DII feels sort of claustrophobic to me. Getting out of it into my DI is like driving with the windows open. Even my diminutive little eentsy weentsy wife noticed it. *grin* There's just something about how the DII fits... I think I'll keep what I've got.

Just to torment everyone, I had Anuqa out again last night in the goo, it's been raining for a week and the trails are axle deep in water and mud in places. I had a blast! Time for a bath again... (the truck too)
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I am a big guy myself, 6' but wide and ... well... fat. (350)

Anyway, I drove a 2001 recently and it was snug, and the seatbelt kept hitting the power seat switch... unceremoniously slideing me into the wheel. The guide told me the D1's were even narrower, but I've since read on many boards that the D1's actually have MORE driver space, particularly leg room. Also, I would avoid power seats as the switches mount in prime "spare tire" space.

That's my "fat guy" perspective anyway.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for us big guys, power seats became standard on all Discovery models in 2000. I have noticed that there are slight variations on either the seat placement or the switch placement as I have had the same problem on some vehicles but not all. It does pay to try different ones out to see if they fit, as they are kind of like shoes. They also get more comfortable over time, also like shoes. ;)
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Manual seats seem to be reasonably available in thr earlier Discos, which is what I'd be getting anyway.

I just bought an '89 Trooper ($789 eBay!) to hold me over for about 3 years. By then, my Protege5 will be paid off and I can find a nice, used Disco to replace the Trooper.

Anyone on here attending the Killington Expedition? (formerly Roverfest) lot's of Discoweb.org guys going, and I'll be up there too.

http://www.vermontexpeditionsociety.com/kx/kxframes.htm

• Options
    Understanding that the 2003 Discovery's have recently arrived to dealers, what realistic expectations should I have for prices......MSRP, below MSRP (or God forbidd) MSRP plus? I have not purhased a Land Rover product before so I do not know if there is any room to bargain. Thanks for any suggestions / info.
  • Options
    Sorry to rub it in, but I was out in the deep snot again last night... we've had rain for a week and my favorite trail is under a couple feet up opaque ugliness now. What fun! Heading out again tonight, if you don't hear from me, send out the Saint Bernards!

Una inuq aaniqtuq, -Bob
  • Options
    I think prices are hovering around MSRP unfortunately.
  • Options
    bradlake1:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I drove 200 miles to get the color I wanted, but also paid less than MSRP for my 2003 SE Disco.

KKone
  • Options
    tarheel910tarheel910 Member Posts: 3
    Can some one help me out and give me the build day and date for vin salty 14483A772701? Thanks
  • Options
    Your vehicle was built on May 10, 2002
  • Options
    smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    OK I asked a long time ago about why my cruise sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Nanuk made a pretty good guess and suggested that it might also be hunting at low idle. Said it might be the Throttle position indicator.
    Lazy me, since it I rarely use cruise in the mountains, I never replaced it.
    The hunting has gotten worse and now the tach bounces like a windshiel wiper. Is it the same problem or am I into a computer thing now?
    Tis time I will fix it.
    Thanks
    KW
  • Options
    wchongwchong Member Posts: 1
    KKrone,

Could you tell me where you bought your 2003 Discovery SE ? I also live in San Francisco Bay Area.

Thx.
  • Options
    First- Thanks for the responses about prices to expect for 2003 Discos.

When discussing the price with a Land Rover sales person, I was told," Land Rover sells its vehicles at MSRP. There is no haggling and makes the buying experince easier for the consumer." I shared with the salesperson that there was another Land Rover dealer who was selling cheaper than MSRP (based on that dealer's webpage advertised prices) than the MSRP that was quoted. To that, I received the response...."Well, Land Rover tries to get all their dealers to sell at MSRP." Morever, I was told that if I did not buy from that dealer I would not be eligible for a loaner vehicle if I chose to have my vehicle serviced at that particular dealership nor other niceties which I thought was an amenity for ALL Land Rover owners regardless of where the vhicle was purchased. Any advice???
  • Options
    I was wondering...

Is there any way to get an RDR Date/info faxed to me on LRNA Letterhead?

I just sold a 95 County to a guy in York, England and the first reg date is 8-1-95 which would qualify it for a year newer license plate...

Thanks!

Bill