Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera vs. Toyota Camry

1fastr1fastr Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Looking to buy wife a new car and it has come down to the Azera and the 07 Camry. We have driven both a couple of different times. Since you guys are Azera drivers why should I buy one over a Camry?

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're going to hook this up to the Camry posters to get their opinion as well.

Welcome!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    While both great cars, personally I would go for the Azera, with spacious interior, larger trunk, premium features, galore of safety features, unbeatable warranty, etc...not to mention one of the "best bang of the buck" vehicles out there...
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I gave serious consideration to the Azera before ordering an 07 XLE V6. A couple of what some people might consider "minor points" shot down the Azera:
    Bad real world gas mileage.
    Inability to change radio stations from the steering
    Wheel
    No Satellite Radio
    Poor trade in value
    I drive 60,000 plus miles a year; & while "Minor" these points do make a difference when you spend this much time in the car. Hyundai makes a good car & is gaining on the rest of the world; but It's going to take them another model chance or so to catch up to Toyota & Honda.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    There's an additional "feel" factor here to the points you made. 3 1/2 years ago I bought a Sonata with the insurance proceeds from my totaled '96 Accord. At the time, an '03 Accord was beyond my means and I thought the Sonata would be at least an acceptable substitute, if not an ideal one. To that end the Sonata hasn't disappointed; indeed it's served me well - but, while the Sonata does those things I require of personal transportation; the Accord just did them more predictably - its impeccable road manners always gave the impression the car was more like an extension of my own body. In short, I haven't been able to shake the driving pleasure the Accord provided and to which the Sonata just hasn't quite measured up. Real or intangible - it doesn't matter where strongly held perceptions are concerned. I'll continue driving the Sonata several more years, and though I can't lay claim to any clearer a chrystal ball than anyone else's, I just don't see myself in another Hyundai.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Haven't checked the real world MPG for the Azera & '07 Camry. I guess you do a large % of highway driving. How do the highway MPG's compare?

Radio requirements are minor, as you say, to some but major to others---all personal preference.

What I don't understand is your concern about trade-in value on a car that has no track record (Azera) vs a car with a great record. Maybe the Azera will be a winner or maybe a loser. I don't think it's realistic to compare the Azera to the XG 350. But, anyway, with driving 60K per year, you've got to get clobbered for high milage at trade-in time, whether the car is 1, 2 or 3 years old.

Not to try to give you a rough time, but for my own curiousity, what did you pay for your Camry and what do you expect it to be worth in trade in two years or whenever you expect to trade it?

Good luck with your new Camry.
  • cookoocookoo Member Posts: 6
    I've read a lot about new Camry and saw it several times on the street, but never been inside of this car. The front design was a little bit strange to me but I already decided to buy a Camry and I took my wife and 2 kids together to Toyota dealer last Sunday. When I opened the door and looked inside, I'm so disappointed on the interior quality. This is not the Camry what I expected. I bought a Camry 10 years ago and the fabrics and the finish were so good at that time. 2007 Camry is acceptable on the outside design, but the inside finish is not the way it used to be. I can feel sharp edges on inside door handles. Cheap and flimsy temperature adjusting knobs and cheesy back seat cup holder made me not even want to test drive this Camry. Even my 11 years old kid said it's interior looked like a "Barbie Car."
    I was looking for another car and found a Hyundai Azera. I never thought I'm going to buy a "Hyundai" for my next car because of the name brand. But when I took a look Azera in and out, I'm so impressed by it's finish quality. All the touches that I saw on past Toyota is now on this car, Azera. Car seat materials, ceiling fabrics, spacious interior, and every meticulous switches/buttons are very satisfactory. I took a test drive and it was so quiet and powerful. I purchased Azera SE on Sunday night and I'm very happy with my decision. If Toyota made Azera and Hyundai made Camry, I would say Azera should be at least twice more expensive than Camry. Everything is changing. We will see it...
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I Paid $28,000 OTD for the XLE V6 equipped w/everything except GPS, Didn't even think about the XG 350. I based the trade in factor on the trade in history of the 2 mfr's.

Yes, when I trade in 2-3 years I will take a hit for high mileage; It's a cost of doing business for me. As for trade in value, don't have a clue what it will be worth at trade time. The Azera us an unknown, the Camry brand has an excellent track record. While I don't know what it will be worth but I expect it to be considerably more than the Azera

Mileage? most Hyundai boards & blogs indicate the cars aren't great on mileage. The camry engine has fewer cubic inches, weighs less and, with the 6 speed transmission, it loafs on the highway where I spend most of my time. the EPA rating, for what It's worth also rates it 4 mpg better; so, yes, I do expect better mileage from the Camry than the Azera.
  • 1fastr1fastr Member Posts: 3
    I really like the look of the new Camry. On our first test drive of this car I to thought the interior was very "cheap" feeling. On our second drive my opinion of it was better. My wife is leaning towards the Azera, I am just having trouble getting past the "I'm buying a Hyundai" side of it. I am not worried about eventual trade in amounts as we will have the car for at least 5 or 6 years as I will probably use it as my daily driver in a couple of years and get my wife something else (again) then. I guess we will just have to drive them both one more time and see which one seems to give the most "bang for the buck".
    That sounds like you got a great deal on your Camry.

One clarification: I meant to say that I didn't think the future resale value of an Azera 2 or 3 years from now could be projected based on the present resale value of a 2 or 3 year old XG350.

If real world MPG is 4 mpg different, that's significant at your 60K per year!
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    I thought I drove a lot at 30k a year! My mileage in the XLE 07 V6 Camry was about 31 mpg at a constant 70 mph, almost all highway miles.

I considered the Azera, but it was not out yet and the styling is reminiscent of a Buick. However, Hyundais have great value and warrantee coverage for the price.
  • mark924mark924 Member Posts: 1
    I think you're comparing apples to elephants! The comparison is between Azera and Avalon. Compare Sonata to the Camry if you want equals. Oh wait, 5-star crash rating, 10 year warranty, side curtain airbags standard. Oh well, Toyota had a good run....
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    I'm torn between the Azera Limited (with Ultimate) and the Camry XLE (with everything, including navi). I really like them both ... any guidance on purchase decision would help.

Azera Limited with Ultimate
    - have quote of $26,000 plus tax & license
    - great warranty
    - lots of car for the money

Camry XLE
    - have quote of $27,884 plus tax & license
    - 6 speed automatic
    - better mileage
    - navigation system
    - cheaper to insure (I checked with AAA)
    - probably better resale
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Go with your heart on this one but if you are over 55 I would recommend the Azera because it is a more sedate sedan with a more comfortable driver seat, perhaps.

If you are concerned about resale value, fuel economy and long-term reliability then the XLE is probably a better choice. Yet still, if prestige is a lingering concern then you should move up the food chain to the Avalon LTD, albeit at a $3K premium.
    "Camry XLE
    - have quote of $27,884 plus tax & license
    - 6 speed automatic
    - better mileage
    - navigation system
    - cheaper to insure (I checked with AAA)
    - probably better resale"

Unless you need the Azera's extra interior room, your analysis has already determined your choice. Four+ years into the NAV system revolution, Hyundai has yet to offer them in North America, though Hyundai does offer them in other world markets. (Shows how we rate with Hyundai's product planners...) The new Camry is Toyota's roomiest yet - and slightly roomier in most interior dimensions than the Lexus ES350 built on the same platform. I own a 3 1/2 yr old Sonata with V6 & leather with just under 20,500 miles clocked. Kelly says it's worth about $8,000.00 in spotless condition as a trade-in, slightly more as a private sale (moderated under the assumption you can find a willing buyer with cash...). Hyundai is still suffering (unfairly according to some) from past reliability issues. Unfair or not, no car is worth more at trade-in time than someone else is willing to pay for it as a repurchase. Dealers protect themselves accordingly in the negotiating process. Finally anyone who'd encourage the choice of an Azera on the basis of Toyota's firm ride characteristics must have very sensitive buns. The Camry has always been regarded by the automotive press as a boulevard ride. The SE comes closest to sport pretensions in the Camry lineup.
  • 1fastr1fastr Member Posts: 3
    $27,884 for a Camry XLE with navigation is an awesome deal compared to what I have seen in my search. Where are you located?
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    Be very careful before buying 2007 Camry. 2006 Toyota Avalon having a white dot in the CR reliability survey is an indication where 2007 Camry will likely be. The 2006 Avalon thread has reported a lot of problems. It is better to read the experience of the existing owners of 2007 Camry for next 6 months - 1 year in Edmunds before buying Camry. There have already been many unhappy faces of 2007 Camry owners since 2007 Camry is one of the three lowest rated midsize sedans by their owners in Edmunds' midsize sedan comparison thread. Learning from other people's bad experience is cheaper and less painful than learning from your own one.
  • bsparks294bsparks294 Member Posts: 23
    I concur with the previous post. The Avalons are having major problems with the transmissions. Some kind of a software problem which causes driveability issues. The Avalon owners are not a happy lot these days.

Having owned Toyota's for quite awhile (even had the one and only model of Camry that was diesel--I loved that car, but could not find many people who could work on one and the parts were really hard to find) it will be difficult to steer my wife in another direction.

The Azera looks like a great car as long as the extended warranty is purchased since the long term reliability is still a BIG question mark.

Hope your decision goes smoothly.

Brad
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    I have driven 97 Lexus ES300 then switched to 2005 Accord EX-V6 and ended up with 2006 Hyundai Azera limited. ES was a good car but had bad acceleration hesitation. I almost killed myself while passing a truck on uphill road because of the hesitation. After that incident I bought Accord. Accord had better handling and no hesitation issue but built quality was subpar. I didn't expect such a low built quality from Honda. I'm just telling you my story so you could use it as a reference. To make long story short, if you will own your new car for a long time I recommend you to buy an Azera otherwise go with a Camry. Just check 2007 camry board before final decision.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    simply because i still don't like the camry's front end. i just can't get used to it.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    You can't see it when you're driving it!
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    I am in the San Diego area
  • jman83jman83 Member Posts: 2
    Do NOT buy a Hyundai ever!! I bought an '05 Santa Fe LX 4WD last year for $27,000. The Bluebook value is $16,000 for it now, and the dealers only want to give me the "Fair" condition value for trade-in on a car in pristine condition. Every dealer I've been to points to its atrocious re-sale value. Hyundai always has sales left and right and thousands in rebates. This will drive the resale down. So if you buy a Hyundai, I suggest trading it off within 6 months, or unless you plan on having it till its paid off.
  • hugobeckerhugobecker Member Posts: 45
    I think you could ammend that to "Do NOT buy a Hyundai ever (if you don't want to drive it till it's over 6 years old)". The resale is a consideration if you intend to move on to a new car in the near future - again $27,000 to $16,000 in one year is about a 40% hit - but every year beyond that the hit is less dramatic (I mean it can't fall 40% every year, can it? ;-).
    The demand for SUV's has decreased as the price of gas has risen.

The Tuscon has a little less cargo room than the Santa Fe and retails for $850 less, thus reducing demand for Santa Fe.

20,000 miles is high milage for a one year old vehicle.

But what about the Azera or Camry? If I were in the market now, I'd take a good look at the Azera. I rode in one once and it seemed like a great car. Quiet, good handling, nice ride and plenty of power. Loads of features.
  • labrat42labrat42 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday we bought an Azera, though we looked hard at the Camry. For about $2000 less than the well-equipped Camry (V6 XLS, I think) we got the Azera Limited with Ultimate package AND the Hyundai extended warranty (10yr/100K mile bumper to bumper, no deductable). As we like to keep cars for a long time it was the right choice for us.

And power folding side mirrors are fun. ;)
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    IMHO, same lesson learned from lots of other products: don't be fooled by the lower entry price. If the TCO is in the same ball park, choice is obvious. Hyundai might be decent and will continue improve, but they are not up to Toyota yet (brand name, quality, experience), not yet for a long shot.
    of Toyota's new 6-sp automatic transaxle problem. For people contemplating any Hyundai product, keep in mind that Hyundai's had a few problems with the Mitsubishi-derived 5-sp automatic transaxle which the new "2006.5" KIA Optima, 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6, the former Hyundai XG-3x0 series, and the new Hyundai Azera use, too*. Hyundai has replaced affected transaxles under warranty, but only with rebuilt units, availability permitting. Hyundai does not make a payment while the car is tied up or offer a new replacement car option, either. With Hyundai, there's no over and above the warranty stipulations. I'm not saying Hyundai cars are a poor consideration. I drive a 2003 Sonata and I'm not complaining because I knew the score full well when I purchased three and a half years ago. But I am saying they're no Toyota in terms of customer service and the only way to recoup a Hyundai's full value is to drive it out of the vehicle. After about six years, Hyundais are within spitting distance of other competitive model make's resale value. They're not a good deal for frequent traders looking to move to a different make.

*Enough problems that Hyundai stopped permitting dealership service personnel from undertaking "deep repairs" under warranty of Hyundai automatic transaxles on-site in a TSB over two years ago. All failed automatic transaxles are to be shipped back to a Hyundai transaxle rebuild center in Illinois in the replacement transaxle's shipping container, with fluid (apparently Hyundai checks for chemical tracers to verify that only the required SP-III ATF fluid has been used for service fill), for tear-down, inspection, and rebuild, now.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, I signed for both. Here is my story.

I have had two V6 Camry LE's and was ready to trade. Drove the Azera and was very impressed. The options and luxury was great. The the "experts" do not agree, I see this car placed between the higher end Camry and Avalon. Anyway. took it overnight then went in to do a deal. They honored the lease deal ($2,800 factory help, great money factor, 52% residual at 27 months). Then got a real nice trade value to use as more down payment. While with finance guy, the monthly payment moved by $64. After 45 min, figured out they forgot $600 fee and used 10k miles vs 12k. I walked. By the way, I never lease but did so only to lock in residual in case Hyundai was not all it was cracked up to be.

Went to Camry dealer... long story, many test drives later ready to get 4cyl XLE. No acceptable color within 500 miles. Talked and found V6 XLE with extra options, bought for maybe $1500 off MSRP (trade makes it fuzzy). 150 miles later and love the car.

Azera is a luxury car. Camry is not, but rides tighter and feels really nice.
  • m3lsm3ls Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I drove Camry today.
    While I still want to go with Azera, my wife prefer Camry.
    We gonna buy either Azera or Camry in a few weeks.

Let me some reason to buy Azera rather than Camry to persuade my wife.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    We looked at both vehicles before buying the Azera. Let me share some of our observations:

Looking to spend about the same $$:
    1. We could only buy a Camry LE with a 4 cylinder engine, and I believe the Traction Control and ABS were an option. The side air bags were also an upgrade ( I think). Bottom line, got a whole lot more content with Azera for same dollars.
    2, Toyota dealer would not budge on price, Azera had rebate that helped.
    3. Got a much better sound system and Leather interior in the Azera Limited, vs. the LE.
    4. Longer warranty
    5. The Azera is less common, you don't see them all the time like the Camry
    6. The Azera has more "style" to my eye.
    7. JD Power says the Azera has best initial quality for Large sedan new vehicle.
    8. Camry has had some component reliability issues in the latest model.
    9. If the Azera works out like I think it will, it will be desirable and will hold its value over time, though Toyota does have the edge here.
    10. Tell your wife that you really are getting a car like the Avalon, for the price of a Camry.
    11. Check out the Consumer Reports comparison. In large cars, the Azera is ranked right under the Avalon. Won't be "recommended" until there is a track record.
    Good luck, the Azera has proven very enjoyable so far.
    As a current owner of an '03 Sonata and several previous Hyundai products, I can assure you that when any Hyundai retains as high a percentage of its MSRP before rebates and discounts as the resale/trade-in value when compared with an equivalent size Toyota or Honda, it'll be a red letter day to be registered in history books. Enjoy your Azera, but expect some disappointment when you buy your next car. That great discount you got on your Azera was your compensation for the inevitable resale/trade-in hit.
    Ray, thanks for the note back. I know if advance that resale on Hyundai products isn't that of Toyota, etc. Since we will likely have this car for 10 years or more, it will all wash out in the end. Heck, we just got rid of an S-10 truck that was 20 years old and had stood up to having been driven by a teenager!

I still am convinced that the Azera had greater content for the dollar I spent than I could get in a Camry. Time will see if the resale value plummets or holds its own.
  • guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    Though the Hyundai Azera comes with a long list of std. features not available in Camry, the TCO for a Hyundai Azera Limited is 0.62/mile while Camry XLE v6 is 0.56/mile. This includes the additional costs associated with the lack of warranty in Camry for the first 5 years of ownership. I am also familiar with the 2007 Camry woes (I read every one of the posts in that forum). Significantly, an Acura TL has a TCO of 0.62 as well. If I am going to spend 0.62/mile, I might as well get an Acura/Lexus and enjoy the best in line vehicles.
    guru, good luck with your Camry. TCO is not the only criteria I would look at in making a purchase. I don't know of any Lexus or Acrua large sedans that I can buy for <$25000 with same content as the Azera Limited.
  • guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    Wamba, I agree that TCO is not the only criteria but it does provide a good assessment of costs associated with car ownership for the first 5 years. You cannot buy an Acura for <$25000, but 2006 3.2 acura TL can be had for around $29500 (check the acura: prices paid forum). The quality of the interior is better in the Acura TL than the Hyundai Azera (atleast IMHO). Additionally, Acura TL has a much lower depreciation value then Hyundai Azera currently. If you are looking to drive the car for its whole life (8-10yrs), Hyundais are a great value. If you are planning to own the car for 5-6 years or less, Hyundais are not the best monetary bet despite its lower initial cost. Just my $0.02.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    My daughter had a 97 Camry. We did also until we bought an 03 Avalon. Son-in-law traded in problematic Dodge Ram for 06 Sonata for our daughter. I had read that the 06 was a big improvement, so I took it for a test drive. It has a firmer ride and not a bad car, but it just wasn't up to the refinement of the Toyotas. I can't fault the purchase due to the warranty though. They don't put on that many miles and will keep it for many years.

Although I have not driven the new Camry, I think I would buy that instead of the Avalon. I just like the size and looks better. Maybe the hybred.

Jerry
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I know some of you don&#146;t really care about the resale value cuz you want to keep your car for 10 years or so…however, there&#146;re so many things can be happened like accident...etc.

Here is my experience, it has nothing to do w/ Azera v. Camry but I think it&#146;s worth to mention.

In late 2004, I bought a GMC Envoy cuz the dealer offered 10K off plus I had about 4K in my GM card. So, I think it was a nice deal 37K MSRP &#150; 10K &#150; 4K = 23K +TTL. Based on KBB trade in value for the same car but 2 years older was around 18-19K.

After a couple months and 2k miles, I don&#146;t like the car so I tried to trade in. I went to at least 5 dealers and none of them offered me more than 19K (KBB trade in was like 22K). So, if I don&#146;t have the 4K reward on my GM card, I would lose 8K on a 3 months olds car.

Finally, I got a dealer that gave me 21K cuz he known a person who wanted to purchase the car. I&#146;m glad I dump the car cuz even I keep until today, I will lose at least another 10K (for 2 years) base on KKB number. :sick:
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Moral is: don't buy unless you're positive you're going to keep the vehicle for at least three to four years, otherwise that huge drop in value as it "leaves the showroom floor" will truly bite you in the butt. When I buy a car (three cars, now, 2 Accords and one Azera in that 30 years), I plan to keep the car at least until its Blue Book value is less than its annual insurance cost!...
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Moral is: don't buy unless you're positive you're going to keep the vehicle for at least three to four years

Even w/ 3-4 years, you still lose more money.

In the same year, I traded in a '03 Altima (a little over 2 years old w/ 20K miles) for a new '05 Altima w/ same options...paid only $3800 + TTL. Now, you know what I mean. :)
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 45
    A three year trade in for a Hyundai Azera would probably be a killer. Only time will tell.
This discussion has been closed.