Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing with the Toyota Highlander

hvillehville Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Toyota
Does any of you Highlander owners use your rig for towing? If so, how much is the vehicle really able to handle.

Comments

• moborotomoboroto Member Posts: 1
    I am in process to get a hitch for my 2006 Highlander V6 AWD. Currently, I am looking at the following three hitchs, and hope some you can help me out to pick a good one.
    1. Hidden Hitch #87778
    2. Hidden Hitch #70778
    3. DrawTite #75153
    They are about the same price, so I am having hard time to choose one. According to the seller, they are all class 3 hitchs, and can be install by myself in 40 minutes, all easy to install, and no welding needed.
    So, anyone has install one of these hitch can help me out that will be great, thank you all.
    For reference, check out this site: http://www.hidden-hitch.com/products.asp?category=hitch&year=2006&t1=&make=Toyot- a&model=HIGHLANDER
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I have a v6 AWD Kluger (Highlander) and have found it excellent for towing. Rated maximum tow weight here in Australia is 700kg (about 3/4 ton) unbraked and 1500kg (about 1 1/2 ton) for braked trailers. These weights are pretty right. As a general rule, I would aim to keep the totoal braked tow weight below the weight of the vehicle.

Load on drawbar should not exceed 150KG and ideally should be better balanced. Ideally, you are after about 50kg download.

Actual towing behaviour is very good. The short distance between rear wheels and towbar means that tracking is very true with little tendency to sway or jack-knife. Braking is good. If towing anything but a small trailer, use the Overdrive lockout and watch your speed. Never seen any transmaiission overheating whilst towing but you should baby the car a bit when doing so.

Cheers

Graham
  • sqrlmomsqrlmom Member Posts: 1
    We are having a hard time finding a lightweight travel trailer that works with the V6 4WD Highlander. Either the trailer is too heavy or the tongue weight is too much. We are looking at the Trail Sport TT, any other suggestions? What have you had success with? The hitch is for the 3500 lb limit with a 350 tongue wt...that seems to be the max. None use weight distribution bars. The one trailer we really like has a 351 tongue weight...too much? I'd love some advice and to hear some of your experiences that would help us out in this frustrating and confusing quest to go camping! Any TT suggestions?
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Don't know if this would be something you'd be interested in...we picked up a pop-up this year, a Fleetwood Element-series Cobalt. I searched for a long time for something as light as possible and it's only about 1,250 lbs dry and a 135 lb tongue weight. Sits higher that most pop-ups and is designed to be pulled off-road more-so than other pop-ups. Loaded with about 100 lbs of gear, the truck loaded with about 250-300, and 2 adult passengers, our 04 V6 HL doesn't even know it's back there. Even with the light weight, it noticeably sags the rearend, tho. We've got 18.7 to 19.6 MPG on recent 400+ mile trips in hilly country.
  • austravelleraustraveller Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Am interested in the Kluger (Highlander) which you found to be excellent for towing, but you did not confirm what size van you tow. Our van weighs 1200kg unladen and I am concerned that with stated tow capacity of 1500kg the Kluger will struggle.I note also that in US they offer tow kit option which is not offered in Aust, ( spoke to Toyota they say not required). Do you think Kluger will be ok for towing this size van or should I look at Terracan, Jeep or other option.
    G'day

My impression is that the 1500kg rating is a little conservative, if the trailer is fitted with brakes.

The old rule of thumb was that a car could tow up to its own mass. A Kluger is about 1765kg to 1875kg depending on model. It is fitted with a powerful but understressed 3.5l engine and a quite robust transmission with a cooler already fitted (This is usually the "Tow Pak" specified in other countries but routinely fitted here).

The Toyota tow bar is usually a Hayman Reece with a removable hitch. The one problem I have had is that this can shake a little in the reciever, and may need to be packed a little with a soft wedge to prevent juddering.

As always with towing, you need to adjust your driving to accelerate more slowly, allow plenty of braking distance and remember you are not driving a sports car.

You should also remember that this is not a full heavy duty 4wd. Nor are the other vehicles you suggested. I have driven the Jeep and am not impressed. My own perception is that the Kluger probably offers the best compromise as a tow vehicle amongst these three.

However, you may try the simple approach of going to a nearby boat ramp sometime soon on a good fishing day. You should find owners of each of the relevant vehicles who will be towing fairly large loads and should give a good idea of their capacity.

Cheers

Graham
  • zeliebasezeliebase Member Posts: 8
    Moboroto - I don't see a reply to your post in the "Towing with the HL" discussion asking about the Hidden Hitch and DrawTite HL hitches, so: see my post #1231 in the "Accessories and Mods" discussion. I looked at the same hitches you are, and ended up choosing the Toyota hitch. Since that post I've used a hitch-type bike carrier and pulled a small boat with no troubles.
    Regards,
  • bmathbmath Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Highlander 4 cyl. with towing capacity of 3000 lb. Am looking at a Viking popup camper with unloaded weight of 1385 lb., cargo capacity 705 lb., hitch weight of 230 and GVWR 2320 lb. Can I safely tow this trailer in the mountains up to 10,000-11,000 ft.elevation or do I need special eqipment?

bill
  • jlabriejlabrie Member Posts: 10
    Bill, I wish I could answer that question. The manual on the '05 Highlander states that for towing a load of 1000 lbs. or more you should use trailer brakes. My gut says you are in need of them. Now, that sounds all good and well, but has anyone tried to put the electric trailer brake control on a Highlander? Since the Highlander has the Flat-4 wiring connector, it has no way to support electric trailer brakes (requires a Round-7 connector). I'm in the same quandary, as I have bought a dual axle trailer that with its load will weigh about 3100 lbs. While this is technically in the range of the Highlander, it is only if using trailer brakes, which my dealer is unable to install. Furthermore, a local trailer company didn't want to even try to do it, as he said he'd end up voiding the warranty on the Highlander. So if anyone has had an electric trailer brake control installed on a Highlander to use with trailer brakes, I'm also very interested. The alternative for me is to trade in the Highlander and get a 4Runner (and the spouse just loves that idea.....not!).
    Thanks, John
  • bmathbmath Member Posts: 2
    John,
    Thanks for the information. I didn't see that in the owner's manual about trailer brakes but will check it out.

Bill
    Bill,

You're welcome. If you look in the back of the manual under 'towing' you'll find the relevant pages - the part that talks about the trailer brakes is in the latter part of the manual (can't recall the exact pages, sorry).

I finally found a local trailer shop who will put the electric brake control on my car. My Highlander came with the factory Tow Package, which may or may not make this whole thing easier - I'll let you know.

Cheers,

John
    Sounds like you need to find a different/more experienced hitch installer. I have an 04 V6 HL and a 1250 lb. pop-up with electric brakes. They make a huge difference in your stopping length and smoothness and safety. The local professional installer put on a DrawTite hitch and spliced a 7-prong connector into the wiring-didn't use the Toyota harness, said this was quicker and less expensive in the longrun. He put the brake controller ($99 installed) with its Toyota-specific wiring harness right in where the aux. 12V plug is in the front open bottom of the console. He took the plug-in out and the controller just sits on the opening and is easily accessible. Works great! Hope this helps.
    You were absolutely correct.

I found a good installer and they installed new wiring along with a 2-in-1 harness that has both Flat-4 and Round-7 connectors on it. Inside the cabin they installed the Prodigy controller which is a very nice and easy to operate unit. I'll be towing about 3250 lbs total, so the trailer brakes will definitely be a plus.

Thanks for the assist.
    Glad you found an installer and that it worked out for you. I tow only a 1,500 lb pop-up, but even with that light of a load, braking is sssooo smooth with the electric brakes compared to when they're disconnected.
  • marylandwomanmarylandwoman Member Posts: 3
    This is my first post and I have read all the prior ones re: Towing.

My hubby and I are considering buying an 02 6 Cyl HL -- our old 88 Volvo died and we want a mid size SUV as our second car (other is 95 Odyssey). We like the reviews/ratings that HL receives, and love the way it drives (NOT like a truck or SUV) We will need to launch/recover a 24' sailboat(boat and trailer @2900 lbs) on occasion (1-2x year max) We will NOT be towing it on highway and only for about 3 miles on local road - to/from launch site.

Should we buy an 02 with the Tow Prep Package or can we just have our mechanic put a hitch on it? Doubt if there will be a warranty to worry about voiding. If we do buy "after market" - what can we expect to pay - less than $500 or more??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hot for Highlander

Jane
    IMHO, don't worry about the tow-prep package. Find a reputable, honest, experienced installer, use a quality hitch and you should be fine for what little use and short distance that you plan to go. The tow prep package typically added "upgraded radiator, tranny oil cooler, and higher-watt fan coupling, trailer pre-wiring". A good hitch installer can use existing wiring.
    Sorry, forgot...price was $554 last year, all installed including $197 for the DrawTite hitch and $99 for the electric brake controller.
    Many thanks, Webgood!! That will increase the "universe" of cars we have to choose from. We have a great "Hitch" guy in town who specializes in such and our mechanic is super (honest and reputable), so you may have just solved our dilemma!!

Have you had any towing experiences with your Highlander?

As a woman, I really appreciate the help you guys offer on these forums! Keep up the good WORK and WORDS!!

Pleased as punch...
    You're very welcome. As I've noted in my previous posts in this forum, we tow a pop-up camper which loaded is probably about 1,500 lbs., plus 300+ lbs. of stuff in the back of the HL and 2 adults. With the '04 V6 AWD I've been satisfied with gas mileage; I 'think' it was around 19-20 mpg with 2-lane road highway driving in Wisconsin (hills, occasional passing, lots of small towns to slow down for, driving slow through the state parks, etc).
    As far as the power factor, not a problem at all. Even with all of the above, it kicks up plenty fast for 'oh-crap' passing of slow semis, ol' farts, and farm tractors. Hope this helps. Regards, BGood. :shades:
    Hello again!

Forgot to ask you 2 final but important questions before we buy:

For limited towing described, should we stick with 6 CYL instead of 4 and 4WD instead of 2WD?

Thanks again, webgood!

Mellow in Maryland
    I'm not an expert here, I can only relate my own experiences. Given that, the V6 obviously has more torque than the 4 for a better margin of power when really needed. I've never liked to gamble on lack of power. As to the AWD vs front wheel, towing something transfer considerable weight to the rear wheels, thus lightening the front ones. Personally, I would be concerned about trying to get and maintain traction with front wheel on a wet, worn concrete, sandy-strewn, alge-covered up-hill boat ramp with a 1,500 lb. sailboat and a 300 lb (at least) trailer pushing down on the rearend and lifting the front. SUV's don't float well. Regards, BGood
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well you aren't doing a lot of long mileage towing, so you don't need the tow package which includes extra cooling.

I would get the 4wd, as you never know which boat ramp you'll be on. I've been on some that are very slippery (or steep), and you'll need every bit of traction you can get. If you are in Maryland you really don't get that bad weather, but it would be nice to have anyhow for those time you do get dumped with snow.

Either engine would be fine. If you were doing mileage towing I'd definitely get the bigger engine, but for the minimal towing you are doing either engine will be be okay.
  • u045777u045777 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know what the tow rating is on the all new 2008 HL?
  • camptoycamptoy Member Posts: 2
    Got a 2002 Highlander (tow package, brake controller, Class II hitch of correct height) to pull a pop-up camper that is well under the tow and tongue wt. capacity of the vehicle. There is noticeable "hitch sag" however and for long distance towing, this can't be good. Any ideas for beefing up Highlander rear end? Can't seem to find any air shocks or other devices that fit on the Highlander and don't really want to put on heavy shocks that will be harsh when not towing. Anyone have experience with light duty weight-distributing hitches? Or would this not be safe for this vehicle?
    CampToy
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Experiment w/ rear tire pressures. Try +5 then experiment from there. Just lower the pressure back to normal when you get back from your trip. Hopes this helps.
  • mazzaravmazzarav Member Posts: 1
    I looking at purchasing a 2004 Highlander to tow a 3000 lb boat. I'm comparing the 2004 Highlander Limited 6cyl FWD vs the same in a 6cyl AWD. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
  • camptoycamptoy Member Posts: 2
    Probably best to go with the AWD - more traction being better than less traction. Make sure that your hitch weight is under #350 (and the less # the better)- with a hitch weight supposedly under #300, my '02 6 cyl AWD already has quite a bit of sagging at the hitch. Keep in mind that these Highlanders are built on the Camry frame. :confuse:
  • johnh9johnh9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I've just got my 07 highlander and new to this forum.

The manual mentioned about two towing eyelets but I found only 1 in the same place with other tools. How many eyelet do you have with your highlander?

I'm looking for a bike rack that can carry up to 4 bikes. Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks.
  • cdwilliams1cdwilliams1 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '04 Highlander. V6/4WD. I want to add a hitch to tow a small 600 pound boat. I don't have the tow prep package or an existing hitch. How hard is it to add something like this myself? Any idea what the cost would run at the dealer?
    I had the local tow and spring/suspension equipment shop (who specializes in ALL towing-related stuff and installs, even big trucks) install a DrawTite, all wiring with 7-point connector and an electric brake controller for my 1,500 lb camper in early 2006...$554 for the whole package. You may not need the controller and could save about $120. My '04 V6 awd did have the 'tow prep package', but they didn't use the wiring harness, it was quicker and less expensive for they to splice right into the existing wiring. It took them one and a half hours (including cigarette break) start to finish. I wouldn't have messed with it myself; they had all the tools and expertise. Regards, BGood
  • ch1rravuch1rravu Member Posts: 14
    We would like to hear experiences from real-world towing experiences of your respective SUVs/CUVs .. my friend in GA trying to figure if a Highlander can do a job of decently tow his 4750 pound boat. Recently read a review about Highlander on Trailer Boats - http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1675315

Going with Highlander, his MPG during non-towing will be excellent compared to rails-based SUVs. He is excited about that, but looking for more information on 2008 model, thanks
  • TowRookieTowRookie Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are considering buying a 2002 V6 AWD Highlander to tow a 2200 lbs dry weight travel trailer. The hitch weight of the trailer is 173 lbs. I read in the owners manual that the maximum allowable speed to travel when towing is 72 km/h. We plan to travel on highways with speed limits of 110 km/h, so it really wouldn't be safe for us to travel 72 km/h. Does anyone have any experience with towing on highways? This maximum speed seems really unrealistic to me. I'm also concerned about the previous comments that the back end seems to sag... the manual also says not to tow anything unless the vehicle and trailer are level.

Thanks for any help you can give! It's been really tough to find a quality SUV that is fuel efficient and good for use as an everyday city vehicle, but can also pull a trailer on the occasional weekend.

Thanks!
    G'day

I think that the reference to a maximum tow speed of 72kmh is probably the maximum speed that a Kluger (Highlander) can be towed by a recovery vehicle with wheels on road, not trailer towing speed.

The Kluger is an excellent tow vehicle, well able to tow boats, caravans and trailers. I have been towing a 6x4 trailer this afternoon with my 2004 Kluger, comfortably at 110kmh. I think the previous generation Kluger (ie 20007 and earlier) had slightly lower tow ratings so check the manual or call Toyota for details. In Australia, the specifications say maximum trailer weight of 1,500kg and drawbar download of 9-11%. The maximum wight of the laden car, (excluding trailer but including the download on the hitch) is limited at 2,380kg.

On the latest model Kluger in Australia, maximum braked trailer weight is 2000kg or 4400 lb (750kg or 1650lb unbraked) and I think draw bar weight of 200kg or 440lb.

However, do not put too much weight too far away from centre of moment of the trailer. Toyota Australia suggests 60% forward of axle and 40% behind.

You may also need to adjust tire pressures to maximum specified on the tire placard

The usual issue with trailer towing is to remember that the constraint is not getting the thing up to speed, but stopping it. Taking about 10-15kmh off normal cruising speed is a good practice. Also use the gear shift mounted overdrive lockout, particularly in hilly areas. If these steps are followed, fuel economy remains good (I have achieved 11.5l/100km today) and you do not strain engine or transmission.

If towing for lengthy stretches, talk to a good towbar installer about additional transmission cooling and other necessary items.

Have a service before setting out on a long trip and when you return, getting engine oil replaced, and possibly transmission fluid checked.

Remember that the engine is hauling twice the normal weight around and all other parts of the vehicle are similarly stressed.

Do make sure that your brakes and tires are in top notch condition because a blow out or brake failure is catastrophic when towing.

Periodically check tire temperature of the car and trailer (tires on same axles should feel similarly hot when you pull up) and also check the bearing caps on the trailer for overheating (a frequent problem).

If anything feels funny or is loose, stop immediately and seek assistance from a competent mechanic,

Cheers

Graham
    I'll second everything that grahampeters says...all good advice. Just my personal experience with our '04 AWD V6, we tow a pop-up w/dry weight 1,245 lbs & 135 lb tongue-weight, plus about 300 lbs of 'stuff' and 2 adults...never a problem at 65, even 70 MPH, but I usually keep it about 60-62.
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd put on a weight-distributing hitch as there's a fair amount a sag as it is, but if you're not carrying all the extra stuff like us, you should be fine. There's plenty of power and, yes the gas mileage is really good, we average 22+ on our roadtrips. Regards, BGood
  • schieftainschieftain Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, new to this forum. We have an 04 Highlander V6, 4WD, with no tow package. I installed a U-Haul hitch and standard trailer wiring connector to pull my 4x8 utility trailer (which it does well). We are thinking about getting a pop-up camper and wondering what else we need to pull a a camper of about 1500lbs + 600 lbs in people and gear. I know power-wise it is rated for 3500 lbs. But am wondering if we need the larger radiator or tranny oil cooler that were part of the tow package? Toyota wants $520 for the cooler and mounting parts, $350 (approx.) for the radiator. My mechanic is telling me I should be fine without all this for a pop-up, but I'd like a Highlander-expert opinion. Our local Toyota Service rep. tells me I should be ok without, if we keep the weight to around 2000 lbs, but I think we're going to be slightly over that. I also have seen a lot of mention of electric trailer brakes on this forum. How essential are those? None of the campers I've seen so far have these, are they an add-on to the camper?
    We used to tow a Fleetwood Cobalt pop-up, it's a relative light-weight (1,440 dry/2,300 GVWR) and it came with electric brakes. We had the hitch (DrawTite) and controller installed on our '04 4x4 and it worked great! The HL had the "tow package" with the upgraded cooling, tranny cooling and charging system, but it never taxed it. I'd recommend it only if you're doing a fair amount of mountain driving or consistent really hot ambient temps (eg. Phoenix area, Death Valley and the like) on a regular basis. We're in the midwest and used it in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
    I do recommend a model with electric brakes and most state laws have them as a requirement for trailers over a certain GVWR, in the range of many pop-ups. It makes for much more controllable stops particularly on wet/slippery pavement...the trailer essentially brakes or helps "drag" your tow vehicle down rather than it continuing to shove you along as your HL slows. Hope this helps.
    Reagrds, BGood
  • pencilspencils Member Posts: 1
    Iam looking at a 2008 US base model. I want to be able to tow a 6X12 Vnose cargo trailer that weighs about 2500 lbs loaded. Will the Highlander tow this? The trailer does have brakes which we would hook up to the Highlander. Distance being towed could be substantial - Ontario Canada to Florida.
  • firstacurafirstacura Member Posts: 12
    Hi! I am looking to put a hitch on a 2010 Highlander. Going with a non Toyota hitch is way cheaper. But I am curious to learn how much of the non Toyota brand hitch will show compared to a Toyota brand hitch? If anyone can direct me to pictures comparing how they look once installed would be very grateful. Thanks.
  • hivemanhiveman Member Posts: 10
    I have an 09 Highlander Sport AWD and will be towing a 3500 lb pop up camper this summer. Can I safely leave the transmission in 4th gear manual and downshift as needed for hills? Is there an rpm limit I shouldnt exceed for much time when I am in a lower gear and going up{or down} hills? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • carfun888carfun888 Member Posts: 25
    Check out the video install of the 2009 Highlander in this link, That is my vehicle getting a Valley hitch at eTrailer (free labor when they video the install!).

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Highlander/2009/V81312.html?vehicle- id=20099870

Note that I removed all stickers from the hitch - at a glance can't tell the hitch is there :)
  • smitbradsmitbrad Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    I just installed the Toyota hitch and wiring harness over the weekend. I think the Toyota hitch looks much better than the after market ones and is worth the extra money. Before I bought my 2010 I made sure the hitch was covered and looked like it was integrated with the bumper. I think the hitches that mount below the bumper and are exposed look like crap.

I ordered my hitch and harness from Toyota Parts Delivered. The hitch, cover, wiring harness and shipping cost $509.

http://toyotapartsdelivered.com/index.cfm
  • jjpetlovrjjpetlovr Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone been able to install a Brake controller on a 2010 Highlander? It has the Tow package and just got the Draw tite class III receiver and 4 prong wire harness installed today, but the installer said that he cannot find a way to install a brake controller. He states he can wire it from front to back, but is not sure it will work or if it will interfere with the traction control or other braking functions. I would really like to have a brake controller as my new Coleman Niagara weighs about 4000lbs when loaded. That is only 1000lbs under the max tow weight.

I would appreciate any help or information anyone has. Thank you in advance...

Julie
  • hivemanhiveman Member Posts: 10
    I had a brake controller installed on my 2009 HL at the time the hitch was installed and it works fine. No electrical problems that I have noticed so I assume the same would be true of the 2010 model.
  • getfitintowgetfitintow Member Posts: 1
    I tow a 6x10 trailer with my 2005 Highlander (Base, 6cyl, AWD). The trailer weights about 1200 pounds and the load brings it to 3500 pounds. The tires seem to wear out in the sidewalls more quickly and it was suggested that I increase the tire size AND lift the rear end which sags with the trailer alone or with the extra weight. Is there a "lift kit" for the Highlander or what about adding springs - Eibach is a brand that has been mentioned. Bottom line - the Highlander has a saggy rear and I need to figure out a way to lift it up to allow better performing tires to fit and not rub?
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    have a 2002 hl with the factory hitch and wiring. It was missing a fifth blue wire for the disc brake lockout. I wired into the brake light line and it has worked fine.

I also have a 2003 Nissan murano and installed my own hitch and used the Nissan wiring kit. It didn't include a fifth blue wire for the lock out. I had to tap off the 12v. line to the converter and use a toggle switch to back up. very inconvenient.

I am now considering a 2011 hl. do all v6 come with trailer tow cooling etc.? I don't mind installing my own hitch and I don't really care what it looks like. I also don't mind installing my own wiring kit, but once again, what about the fifth (blue) lock out line?

any tips, suggestions or advice. thanks, rr70
  • gbesaw74gbesaw74 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a 2011 Highlander (V6 version) and tow a Mini Cooper Clubman (3800 lbs) cross country 2900 miles on a front-wheel dolly. Is there a manufacturer-specified break in mileage for new vehicles prior to using it for towing?
  • mkunkle1mkunkle1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2011 HL V6 AWD with towing pkg. Owner's manual states that I should wait until I have 50) mile on the odometer before towing. Hope that helps.
  • mkunkle1mkunkle1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, 500 miles...
  • natgyanatgya Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I'm just waiting for our new Highlander (3 weeks). In meantime, I have to make some decisions. Help??

We also just bought a travel trailer (hence the need for the highlander).

Toyota's dealer-installed tow package comes with a 4-pin.

We are told that we will need a 7-pin/plug hock, a break controller and a weight distribution hitch.

My question: Since Toyota can't install the 7-pin, is there anything in their towing package that I need?

I'm afraid that I might be wasting my money if I get the dealer's tow package then have to take it somewhere else to have additional work done. Would I be better off finding a good hitch installer and have them do the whole job?

Hoping that those with experience will chime in.

Many thanks, in advance.

Natasha
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    do some searches on this board. also, speak with several hitch installers. i have a 2002 hl and needed a 5 pin for back up lock out and ended up tapping off the brakes light line. i wouldn't want to do that with a new hl. the dealer installed wiring will be a waste of money. hopethat helps. rr70