Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator No Start Questions

spiderflashspiderflash Member Posts: 5
I have a 98 Lincoln Navigator that runs great. When I start it in the morning there is a ticking noise that is in time with the revolutions of the engine. The noise goes away after 1 minute to a 1 minute and 30 seconds. When I press the gas the noise accelerates with the engine. I is hard to identify becasue it does'nt stay long enough to pin point it. It only does it if the vehicle sits for a long time. When I park in the lot a 8 and return a 6 it does it. Any hints as to what to look for?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    With a little luck all you need to do is have the valves adjusted. I suggest asking your question in the Lincoln Navigator Owners: Problems & Solutions where other owners may be able to help you. I also recommend visiting the main Lincoln Navigator discussion.

tidester, host
  • spiderflashspiderflash Member Posts: 5
    The problme seems to have stopped. Since my last post I have started putting only premium gas in it and the problem has not returned. I am not saying that fixed it but perhaps there was a connection.
  • pasinbypasinby Member Posts: 3
    Hi, new to the forum, told my son I would do some research.
    His car tries to die when he puts it in drive or reverse when he first hits the excelerator. If it does not die, it runs rough, and is low on power. Anyone have any suggestions.
    We bought PC valve, but can not find it. I thought maybe vacuum hose. Suggestions appreciated.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It may be a vacuum hose, but first I'd try the IAC module. may just need cleaning, or replacement, but it's likely the culprit.
  • pasinbypasinby Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help, I bought my son a Chilton manual and he is going to check that IAC module. He left beaming. He loves that car, now if we can find seats or seat covers. Thanks again.
  • jmr6jmr6 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. The other night after returning home I went back out and my Navigator would not start. Power is there to everything ( or at least it seemed ) but the starter does nothing when I turn the key.

I gave up for the night and woke up the next morning expecting a long day. To my surprise it started right up like nothing happened.

Today it happened again. I had just turned it off and a couple minutes later returned to the same situation. I figured the starter was going out ( I have seen hot starters do this ), but then I realized that the stereo does not work. It worked fine when I shut it off. I am thinking this has something to do with the anti-theft system. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
  • jmr6jmr6 Member Posts: 3
    Hello again.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found the culprit. I can not explain why my radio was affected by this, but after troubleshooting I discovered the solenoid on the firewall was bad. I was able to remove the lead from the relay switch and hold it to the terminal on the solenoid while my wife turned the key and it fired right up. Ten hours of troubleshooting to discover it was a 20 minutes fix (including drive time to the parts store) The solenoid cost $12. I have no doubt I just saved myself the better part of $1000.
  • jrich10jrich10 Member Posts: 1
    my 03 navigator will not turn over, dealer said if the anti theft system lite is blinking rapidly, that it is the tranceiver in the the steering column needs replacing, 4 what ever reason dealer said that the anti theft system is not reading my key, its like im trying 2 use a duplicate key and it does not have the chip inside, had it replaced in 2 days started doing the same thing,i am going 2 take it back 2 the dealer.
  • danqphamdanqpham Member Posts: 2
    Could someone please advise where do I locate the cabin air filter ? I want to replace it with a new one but my car manual does not mention about it. Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I don't see it in the manual, either, which means you probably don't have one. If you did have one it would normally be just below the cowl (bottom of the windshield) on the passenger side.
  • polo4polo4 Member Posts: 7
    Last week my car was running fine when all of a sudden the engine turned off while I was rolling at 40mph. No one was behind me so I put in in "N", while rolling, and started it again and continued to drive. Then, two days later, I came out from a store and the car would not start. While I had the key turned, there was a horrible buzzing sound coming from under the shift lever. It continued until I removed the key. I shifted through the gears and it still would not start in P or N, buzzing continued, while key was in active positions. I finally got it to start in N after about 5 tries. Dealer can't duplicate and nothing shows up in computer. They thought it could be a sensor, but they said a sensor doesn't buzz. Any ideas????
  • ycaldwellycaldwell Member Posts: 1
    my heater stopped working in my 03 navi the dis[lay on the inside shows nothinh the contols do not light up total loss of power.
  • bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    I had the buzzing come from the fuse panel and my nav wouldn't start. My information panel displayed "PRNDL error" and it ended up being a relay. I believe it was Relay Number 3 which controls PCM. Check that. As for the truck stoppind randomly at driving speeds, I recently had the problem and it was diagnosed to the Catalytic Converters. Sadly my 2003 has 4 cats and are pretty pricey. Im dealing with that right now but am researching reducing it to 2 cats.
    Good Luck ;)
  • bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    Have u checked your fuses?
  • byrongeobyrongeo Member Posts: 2
    I've been to the dealer like 3x already same problem. 11/2 year ago it started.talk to dealer said nothings wrong with it.2nd time a round my kid went to Big Bear and the car will not start called me and complain. a couple hours later it work again and was able to go home 3rd time brought the kid to school park in my garage and later it will not start. have it tow to dealership and the problem they say was a bad key.4th time. went to do some errand went to the bank and start it back up ,no start brand new battery just got service by dealer 4 weeks ago have it tow back to the dealer,calle Lincoln and there customer service rep said they dont have any issue about my problem of the car not starting and they say they will research the problem dealers say they found the problem they need to rewire something say some wires were frayed or was defective. 5th time went to work it will not start again.its back to dealer and this time its the module. NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY> CAN ANYBODY HELP or has the same problem
  • supermanzer0supermanzer0 Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Navigator wont start. I turn the key and theres a whirring sound coming from the passenger side near the glove box, and it doesnt even attempt to turn over. I also am getting an error message on the dash saying "PRNDL ERROR" HELP! :sick:
    I also am getting an error message on the dash saying "PRNDL ERROR"

That looks like Park-Reverse-Neutral-Drive-Low to me so I would guess the problem is your transmission position sensor.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    OK I figured it out. there is a problem with certain navigators and explorers made before a specific date where the RELAYS can overheat (these are just big fuses and are located in your fusebox which is located under the glovebox, just remove the panel that is there. it just pulls off so you dont need a screwdriver or anything) (i didnt know any of this stuff until I did a shitload of research yesterday). Here is the Service Message.
    Special Service Message from Ford

ANYWAYS... all you have to do to fix it is change out the upper right relay (#203 in my navigator) I switched it out with the upper left relay (#201 in my truck which is just for the trailer towing lights and I dont use that right now but will still order a new one up to replace it) I switched them out and turned the key and much to my relief, it started right up.

so... hopefully anyone reading this can understand that... otherwise just e-mail me.
    I just discovered this solution about 2 months ago, after 5 trips to a dealer who could not find problem. My relay would buzz ( I guess stick) occasionaly. When it stopped buzzing, the car started. This went anywhere from 1 minute to overnight. I then realized shutting the front passenger door fixed this. The jar of the door closing, so close to the fuse box, would stop it from buzzing. Dealer could not duplicate. If I pushed on the relay, it would stop buzzing and car would start.

But now, after 2 months of new relay and issued solved, I thought, it is starting over. First relay had black smut on center post and melted plastic around it.

How do I fix the problem causing the overheating????
    well for some reason that link up there isnt working but this link should work just copy and paste...

http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=/uploads/lamontgomery/2008-10-06_- 132722_1.png

I am assuming this service message sent out by ford is referring to the fusebox itself. and that the fusebox needs to be replaced.

here is the whole page that I found referring to the problem and solution.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1h6qs-weve-2003-ford-expedition-4x4-5
    Thanks for reporting back and I'm glad you found a solution! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dbui74dbui74 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I have an 06 Lincoln Navigator for some time now. i want to change it up a little. I like the look of the Lincoln Mark LT Grill. I was wondering if anyone know if the Grill and Hood of the Mark LT will fit on my Navigator.

Mark LT

Navigator
  • msj07msj07 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I recently just purchased a 2004 Lincoln Navigator used. I was washing the truck with keys in my pocket when the truck started! I dont know what my leg did to turn it on, but i need someone to help me with this?
  • bigbear6bigbear6 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    98 navigator wont start is there a relay like you say for this year also I checked alt,battery,and starter they all passed local auto parts say pull cables see if burned I pulled then and they look fine what else can I check. when starting sounds like battery is low.thanks bigbear new member
  • solo95solo95 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
  • solo95solo95 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: :mad: My 2003 Navigator wont start. I turn the key and theres a whirring sound coming from the passenger side near the glove box, and it doesn't even attempt to turn over. I also am getting an error message on the dash saying "PRNDL ERROR".

The car has been on the dealer more then i have drove the car im getting use to driving the rentals is crazy time for a new car.
    Check the white relays for burn marks by pulling them out. This fuse box is behind the kicker plate on passenger side.

I had this problem, it was a relay sticking. If I would kick the panel the buzzing would stop and then I could start my car. I replaced the relay and problem went away.
  • lovethisdoulovethisdou Member Posts: 3
    Hi every body I have a 2006 lincoln navigator with trans problem i take it to the dealer they replace the transmission now my overdrive light keep flashing on and off take it back to the dealer cost me $300 they replace the #9 fuse it was a 15 amp fuse it has being replace with a 30 amp fuse now after i drove the car come home get back out the car don't start the # 9 fuse blow again when you put the key in no power go to the starter need help how to fix the problem plz
    thankyou but I don't see the white relay I have a dead shot can you help me to locate that relay plz
    Sorry, actually my replacement was white. The factory one was black. Have you located the fuse panel on the side panel to the right of where the passenger's feet would be? When my relay would stick(?) it would make a buzzing sound.

Use the owner's guide to help you find if needed. You have to remove the panel, which matches your interior, and then a fuse box cover which is black.

At the bottom of this panel are the fuses, in the middle there are 6 square blocks that are marked Ford. Above these are 3 relays in the shape of a rectangle. About 1" long and .5" wide.
    Hi I have the same problem my radio did not play the am /fm but cd play where is that solenoid
  • bzeller1bzeller1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Navigator w/ 64,000 miles. I have had for 4 years now. Starting after a huge rain storm in summer '09, it would not start sometimes in the early mornings. This problem is always when it is humid outside. It will not attempt to turn over. There is only a clicking noise when the key is turned. If I turn the key enough times, it will eventually start right up. However, this is getting progressively worse.

Since the summer of '09, this problem has occurred during May-August, and has been pretty constant. For September - April, it starts up 100% of the time. This is no coincidence, but I need help connecting the dots on this. It is worst early in the mornings. Just last week, this happened again for the first time since the end of last summer. I live in Indiana.

Further, when driving last week, the engine actually died when I was driving. This is the first time that has ever occurred. Whatever the issue is, it seems to be getting worse. Could it be a bad spark plug or plug wire, and when the moisture in the air rises, that is exposing bad wiring or something?? Any other ideas for what it could be??
  • jbarnebeejbarnebee Member Posts: 2
    Truck would not start today. Lights and sounds but only a click and engine wont turn over.

Starter was pulled and checked, it's fine. Fuse and interior fuse panel ok. At that point circuit powers correctly. Only thing we can think of is the starter relay.

According to Haynes repair manual for Ford Expedition and also Lincoln Navigator the starter relay is located on the right side of the engine compartment on the firewall (passenger side firewall). It's not there. We only see the computer.

After much searching it's still a mystery. Even followed wiring from battery and nothing.

Or possibly anything else it could be?

Ok, found the relay in the fuse box...switched relay with another relay to test it and still nothing....any other ideas on what this could be? :mad:
  • jbarnebeejbarnebee Member Posts: 2
    starter solenoid is fine....it was checked also...
  • nolaj1nolaj1 Member Posts: 1
    worked perfect thanks!!
  • ewain2ewain2 Member Posts: 1
    One day I was driving down the road and noticed my 4x4 light on the dash board would intermittently flash. Then a fews days later, both the 4x4 and windshield washer indicator lights would flash intermittently while driving. When this happens, the power windows would fail to go up and down and the windshield wiper would not work, the music/radio would stop. ......Also sometimes when I put the car on reverse while the music is playing, the music will stop, windshield washer and 4x4 lights would flash and power windows would not work, horn won't work....Door Ajar light started
    flashing and making alarming, then interior lights and door lamps came on and won't go off
    even after engine is turned off.....Today the car failed to start and
    the mechanic had to use a cable to start it from the kick-starter relay. And then later on, it started
    and then shut right off ....

A scan of the GEM revealed the following codes.

I) B1302 - Accessory Delay Relay Coil Circuit Failure
    2) B1814 - Wiper Rear Motor Down Relay Coil Circuit Failure
    3) P1838 - Transfer Case Shiff Motor Circuit Failure
    4) P1867 - Transfer Case Contact Plate General Circuit Failure
    5) B1365- Ignition Start Circuit Short To Battery
    6) DTC-9202 -Fuel Sender Circuit Open

Please help are these relay/fuses issues or GEM going bad or what?...Mechanic says fuses and relays are good but
    who knows....
  • nav99nav99 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be i need to replace the alternator.
  • kw4954kw4954 Member Posts: 1
    I have 04 Lincoln Navigator currently with absolutely no power. Lights, door locks, ignition, nothing works, completely dead Navigator. Nothing happens at all when try to start, no buzzing, no noises what so ever. Unable to jump. New battery installed. Sitting at dealership, no diagnosis yet. Any idea what causes this?
  • byrddog46byrddog46 Member Posts: 1
    I have and '03 Navi and stopped to go in a store; when attempting to start it, got nothing. The dash stayed lit. The headlights, horn, radio, auto running boards; every thing works, but it won't turn over. It doesn't click, doesn't even try to start. "The biggest quandary I have is that, normally, when I turn the key to the "On" position, the digital odometer displays the mileage, but now it just displays dashes on both the odometer and the trip meter." Was getting a buzzing sound from fuse box, but that has now stopped. I've been told that it's not the starter,not an ignition problems. The fuses have been checked and all are good; same with relay. Check engine light was on before problem. Took to Advance Auto and had a diagnostic check and it showed a code that the thermostat was bad. Hadn't had a chance to replace it before this happened.
    It's now 12:45a.m. and I just remembered about the thermostat after a week of different mechanic checking vehicle. DUH!
    Could the thermostat cause the problem, if not what.
    Also, now on board computer doesn't communicate with diagnostic machine.
    By the way it has over 204,000 miles and never had any, any problems until now.
  • hooiehooie Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem now! I have not been able to drive my 2000 Navigator 5.4 in over 3 months now. It started with my EGR valve and moved on to many things too much to write it all down. I was just wandering if you found a diagnosis yet?
  • hottboyhottboy Member Posts: 1
    The Navigator has a coil on plug ignition system. This cuts the need for the old fashioned distributor and spark plugs w/ wires. Now the coils are at the top of the plugs and seated on the top of the manifold. In the summer time or humid seasons there is probably moisture getting down into the coil plugs and fouling out the spark. try tightening the coil plug bolts to secure them better. This will keep the moisture out and make for better spark and easier starting. Then let me know how things worked out for you.
  • risa38risa38 Member Posts: 1
    So this morning after using my car the night before without a problem, I go to start it(put the key in and as I halfway get to turn the key it seemed like it was going to turn on ...lights on the dash board were lit and the overhead lit up as well. However, turn full circle, it clicked and then died. This had happened to me once or maybe even twice before that. I have a cut off switch on my battery and the previous times I would turn the knob off the battery and then on again. It would start up right away after that. This morning it didn't. I tried jumping the battery but there was no juice. Any thoughts about this?
  • fordloyal54fordloyal54 Member Posts: 1

i have 99 navigator. it started up just fine until i replaced the gauge cluster, now it just won't start. cranks just fine but won't fire off. theft light flashes fast so it could be that or needs reset. any answers?

• elijou1elijou1 Member Posts: 2
    My lincoln navigator says prndl error no park assist can be
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's a comment from a Lincoln Technician on another board:

"PRNDL error means the parking aid module is not receiving a valid transmission range signal from the network. This can be caused by a communication issue, a bad transmission range sensor, wiring or any other fault that would inhibit the range sensor position from being received over the network. This is a fairly complex system and a igh end scanner is needed to perform testing on the parking aid module, PCM module, range sensor and network diagnosis."
  • elijou1elijou1 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    Ya le probe un scaner igh pero no lee el pcm que podra ser
  • luvmynavluvmynav Member Posts: 2
    Hey. I have a '98 navigator. When i try to start it up, it won't start. The dashboard and inside lights come on but nothing when I turn the key all the way. Can someone help?
  • luvmynavluvmynav Member Posts: 2
    Also, the exterior and interior lights take forever to cut off. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator, running fine.
    One day it stalled, then wouldn't start.
    20 minutes later, when my help showed up, it started fine..
    Everything was fine, until a few days later.
    Crank just fine, but wouldn't start.
    I reset battery, and swapped relays, checked the fuel shut off switch..
    Started right up.
    Went to store and got a new relay, put it in and everything was fine...
    A few days later, yep..
    Wouldn't start.
    Paid some guy to come get me rolling.
    He sprayed starter fluid in intake, and it started right up.
    Put in a new fuel filter while he was at it.
    Great for a few more days..
    This time I sprayed starter fluid in it and brought it to a shop and got new fuel pump installed.
    Great for a few more days..
    Now it won't even start with starter fluid.
    It tries, but just won't..

Anybody have any suggestions?
  • No codes, no warning lights, nothing...