Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon Clutch Problems

deangarrisdeangarris Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
BUYER BEWARE!! I have a 2003 Tiburon and have had nothing but problems. I have replaced the clutch & flywheel with after market parts because the dual-mast flywheel that is standard in these cars is defective, I have had to replace the transmission and now I believe the starter has just bit the dust, this is of course after I have had problems with the sunroof, power windows & brakes... AND this is all under 60,000 miles. This is the absolute worst car purchase I have ever made. I will never buy a Hyundai again! The service dealerships (I have been to 3 now) are inept and apparently noone knows how to fix these cars to make them last more than a month without something else breaking. BUYER BEWARE!!

Comments

• jrbagpjrbagp Member Posts: 5
    Hi Dean, I too have a 2003 Tiburon. Last week I had my second clutch replaced at 27,800 miles. The first clutch was replaced at 8,000 miles. I had dropped my car off at the dealer on a Tuesday evening, it took them till the following Monday afternoon at 4:00 PM to advise that there were no defects and I was responsible for the $1855.00 bill to replace the clutch.

I have contacted the Hyundai, consumer affairs and made a formal complaint. The representative advised she was submitting a request for reimbursement for the bill. I truly doubt that they will do anything. However, your Buyer Beware has really been an eye-opener, and of course, I am planning to get rid of my car asap. The fact that you mention the standard flywheel is defective really caught my interest. My opinion is that Hyundai is an inferior automobile, but our horror stories are not being shared.

Thanks for sharing. Alan Pavloff
  • deangarrisdeangarris Member Posts: 5
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have heard their is a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for the clutch on their 03 & 04 Tiburon's. Best of luck.
  • ederekbederekb Member Posts: 4
    Same exact thing, 2003 Tiburon with 31,000 miles. There was no warning, clutch just suddenly went on the highway and had to be towed. Dealer quoted me $2010 to repair the clutch, which conveniently isn’t covered under warranty and the manager wouldn’t do anything to help. In fact they tried to charge me $100 inspection fee when I told them I was going to take it elsewhere for service. (Auto repair shop for $1000). This is not the first time I have had problems with their service department. DO NOT BUY HYUNDAI. I will never buy one again.
    -Derek
    :lemon:
  • moonlitiburonmoonlitiburon Member Posts: 2
    this problem was just with the 03 model year I have an 04 with 35000 miles on it with no problem at all. My family owns five Hyundais in all with no problems.
  • richs3richs3 Member Posts: 20
    Well, a bummer is a bummer. I do not want to discount your situation. I would heartily agree that the cost you mention is way too much, and that it's not a good thing. I pray that my cluctch on Toyota holds out okay, I do a lot of stop and go freeway traffic. As for myself, with the Hyundai Tiburon that I had that I liked, it had the synchro shift thing, or whatever it's called. The automatic that sort of emulates the stick shift, only without the clutch. It was fun. Which causes me to go back and circle around to the point, that the car came very well equipped, with leather, nice radio with boom box, a better functioning moon roof than TC's, more headroom, better leg room for my right leg, and just, in general, a nice package without me having to add numerous accessories. I do say though that I like my Scion, after adding a tie rod to the front end, that helps with the handling, and there are numerous other things I would like to get. But a turbo pkge that adds 35 hp for $3,000? I'm not sure that sounds cost effective, and the muffler they say "adds horsepower and torque", for only $595 plus tax, and plus installation(?) Well, just 'how much' hp? Sure, it looks sort of nice, but is it substantial? I didn't see in literature where they were able to commit to a round number. 2hp, or 3hp, or bargain deal of only $100/per horsie? They didn't say, just add it on, because it somewhat lacks zip in base product. I will agree that Hyundai should have covered your clutch properly in warranty. You have every right to be disgruntled and dissatisfied. Maybe the Toy's hold up longer in long run, I hope to find out, favorably. It does look nice, that's one of the things that sold me on it. Best regards.
    Do an internet search (Dogpile or google) on CLASS ACTION HYUNDAI and you will find info on the class action suit.

We have submitted the info the to attorneys in CAL and are waiting to hear from them.

Dumped out Hyundai for a Honda!!

We have been spreading the info to everyone that owns a Hyundai in the neighbourhood. We will never buy another Hyundai not only becuase of the Tiburon clutch, but because they knew ofthe problem and didnt do anything!!
  • ttevatteva Member Posts: 5
    I bought a new Tiburon a month ago, a GT 2.7 liters. It has manual, what I have always driven. So far my husband and I have loved the car. :)

However today I had a problem with the clutch. I had just exited the interestate and depressed the clutch to disengage the gear to stop for a traffic light. When I did that the clutch pedal did not spring back up! I wasn't able to put it into any gear. :cry:

After checking if there was anything holding the clutch pedal down (there was nothing) I put my foot underneath the pedal and pulled. The clutch then came up to its normal position. I was then able to drive the car normally.

I called Roadside assistance and they towed my car to a nearby dealership (South Blvd in Charlotte NC). After waiting 1 hour I was told I was 'ready to go' because they could not reproduce the problem and therefore they could not 'fix it'. :mad:

Obviously I am not happy with this, the risk is too high if the clutch gets stuck again while driving at high speeds.

Is there anybody out there with the same problem, with a new or old Tiburon?

Thanks
    I can't provide with that, I had an auto. But should there be any doubt as to the faithfulness of Hyundai-Tib clutches, obviously, it would behoove them (Hyundai at large) to remove any such questions. Perhaps try doing a google search for "Tiburon Clutch 2007" or combinations like that and see what pops up for 2007, and or try other search engines like dogpile (gee what a name :-) etc. as well. The Hyu-Guys should want to be able to assure you of safety so you can enjoy driving . . without reservations. They should say: "Hy U, our customer and responsibility, without you, we're nothing." Best wishes, Rich
    we had to replace two clutches in our 2004 tiburon before it had 18,000 miles. there was a flywheel problem which Hyundai has yet to recognize and reimburse costs. many people have had the same problem. we dumped our Tiburon and will never by another Hyundai because of their non-action. (a class action suit is pending)
    I have gone to the dealership where I bought the tiburon and was told the same information, unless it happens again there is nothing they can do.

I inquired about the many complains regarding the clutches for Tiburons in 2003/2004 and was told those were bad drivers.. but it's hard to believe there are so many bad drivers.

In your case, what was the reason to replace the clutch, was it just worn out? Did it happen suddenly or it took time?

Thanks
  • joeanthonyjoeanthony Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 gt tib that only has 28000 miles on it and the clutch is already going out on me. i called the dealer and they said it wasnt under warranty.so now im trying to find an affordable aftermarket clutch.they said basically that i don't know how to drive because it shouldnt go out that fast.i was wondering if anyone had any advice.
    dump the car while you can.
    see my earier message. 3 clutches in 28,000 miles...not good.
    had many standard clutch cars in many years of driving including a mitsubishi with 176,000 and never an adjustment.

will never own nor recommend a hyundai again.

(have a Honda & Acura now)

AGP
    Could somebody give me more details about how the clutch failed? What part exactly, the flywheel, the linings, something else?
  • swing2112swing2112 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me today, except the clutch didn't come back up. I had to be pushed across an intersection. Now that i turned the car off i cant restart it because the clutch has to be in for the car to start. Car on side of road as we speak....
    Did you get any resolution? What year is your Tib?
    no resolution from Hyundai for my 2004 Tib except they lost a customer and got plenty of bad mouthing.

My resolution: I bought a Honda

agp
  • tibracingtibracing Member Posts: 2
    one day after work i hopped into my car on my 25km ride home and stopped at a stop light going home put my shifter into first and popped the clutch and rode the gas like ussual but my gear popped into neutral this is the only gear that this happens in i was wondering if anyone is having the same problems or know what might be the problem this problem is continuing throughtout the life od the car and i cant quite figure it out.. any help would be much appreciated.
  • xeonrexxeonrex Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 gt tiburon and i have had my first clutch blown at 29,000 miles; I now today am experiencing problems with this cluth, however no one is at the dealer, or they are afraid to answer the phone. I googled with the keywords hyundai and cluth and found this site; I was thinking it was just me. Go to www.classcounsel.com this firm, Green Welling, has a class action lawsuit filed against Hyundai for the 2003 gt-for defective clutch; looking here it looks like it's more than the '03. The case is 06CC00052, filed i think in southern district federal in orange county California. Im going to contact this firm asap, I am not eating costs, theyre eating the car.
  • xeonrexxeonrex Member Posts: 2
    I have clutch problems with the 2006 gt tiburon. We all have to go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and file complaint. Make them EAT THIS CAR!
  • vahmedvahmed Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2003 Tiburon and absolutey loved it. V6 - 6 speed/manual and i noticed from early on that the stick was a little stiff. I would have to apply some force when changing gears. Sometimes it would be a little still if it was cold outside but i really didn't see it as a problem, i truly believed that tiburons were just built a little different. Last week it became almost impossible to change gears and I took it in to my mechanics, thinking i would probably have a $400 - $700 problem on my hands. Now I am in the hole over $2000 because of the flywheel and the clutch being defective to begin with. How is Hyundai getting away with blaming the drivers??? How could so many people all have the same problem? We need to be reimbursed for this! I am an excellent manual driver and never have I had a problem like this. I was thinking of upgrading to the 07 or 08 in a few months but after this, forget about it. I'll head straight over to Toyota and pick up a Scion. :mad:
  • gflemgflem Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 tib gt and already am having problems with my clutch or trans. It has 29,000 miles and this should not be happening. I remembered reading about a defective transmission somewhere so i started researching for some ammo. I found you guys and also heard of class action suit. I will definately look into that one. I just hope everyone that is having a problem will speak up. We have more power in numbers. I will keep you updated on what dealer tells me. gina
  • davgirddavgird Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 GT Tiburon had a problem with the clutch linkage, there is a bushing that connects the pedal to the clutch push rod and it had broken, this caused the linkage to have too much slop and the clutch could not be fully disengaged. We took it to the dealer and they had to replace the entire clutch linkage they said. It was covered under warranty. We just had the same issue happen again four months later and now they say it is a bad clutch and not covered under warranty. $1,900 to repair. I know it is exactly the same issue as before because it acts the same way and you can physically see the bushing is broken just like last time. Needless to say, I will be pursuing alternative means to force them to correct this issue under warranty.
    I think you have the right idea, I haven't had any more problems with my Tib 07 (clutch got stuck and then came out) but I don't trust it anymore.
    I found the link for the complaint:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.
    I would ask everybody that has have an issue with any year Tib clutch to put a complain, if there are as many as it seems we might get some attention. :mad:
  • medic213medic213 Member Posts: 2
    Must have bought a lemon. I have had absolutely no problems after 86,000 miles. The Tiburon has been an awesome car!!!!
  • medic213medic213 Member Posts: 2
    I believe that would be your loss. I think people need to learn how to drive. My Tiburon has been flawless for almost two years and 86,000 miles.
  • exfuzemeexfuzeme Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2003 Tib w/20,000 miles + a couple of years back. We recently found the clutch to be very worn and we know it was previously abused. Though it appears to be substandard, the clutch wear is my bad for buying it from the wrong person.

I don't mind the clutch so much, but who ever heard of a flywheel being worn out at 49000 miles from a 160 hp car? The flywheel is pure trash. Learn from my mistake and DON'T BUY THIS CAR. A flywheel should not be a wear part at 49000 miles unless you're driving AND abusing a 400 hp+ race machine. To top it off we also found the bearing to be bad and the dealer knew of the 'click' before they tore the car apart and replaced all the other parts. Now we need to go back in and replace the bearing "under warranty". Double labor charges for the service dept. Hyundai's "best warranty" is in name only in this case.
  • exfuzemeexfuzeme Member Posts: 2
    medic, just an FYI: there are a ton of TSB's (technical service bulletins) on this car regarding the clutch and flywheel issues.

Like I said in my note above, my bad for not looking before I leaped. But the company should warrant faulty parts that are clearly NOT wear parts. And it looks like they still have some serious clutch issues that are not 'normal'.

I'm glad that some folks did get a car that works well and that you are one of them. We need our medics to be able get to work safely!! Thanks for doing it!!
  • johanugglajohanuggla Member Posts: 1
    My Sonata flywheel failed and Hyundai denied warranty replacement. I do not want to buy another Hyundai defective design flywheel; but I cannot find an aftermarket flywheel anywhere???

Please help -

Stranded in Georgia
  • ghsnyderghsnyder Member Posts: 1
    Clutch Masters offers a Aluminum After market flywheel. You can purchase this Item through Ultrarev.com for $400.
  • tiburon05sctiburon05sc Member Posts: 5
    I have an '05 Tiburon GT V6 Coupe and had to have the clutch/fly wheel replaced twice already. The 1st after 6 months and then again 15 months later. Hyundai says it is normal wear and tear so not covered under warranty. Kottman Transmission dealt with the service rep for the company that makes the flywheel in the Tiburon and was told there is a problem with early failure on the fly wheel. Has anyone else heard this same story? Seems like a costly car to own if every year or so you have to pay $1,500-$1,800 to repair the same problem
    You are saying:
    "Hyundai says it is normal wear and tear so not covered under warranty."
    And:
    "Kottman Transmission dealt with the service rep for the company that makes the flywheel in the Tiburon and was told there is a problem with early failure on the fly wheel."

The interesting thing to me, is that there are two different statements, regarding the same problem. Apparently, the Hyundai dealership is telling you it is due to normal wear (bogus, i.e. b.s. and lying) while conversely a service Rep for the part being made is factually saying that the problem is with the fly wheel product itself.

This defect has been going on for sometime, it appears that Hyundai is turning a deaf ear to the matter, and it definitely subtracts any respect that I would otherwise have had for the company. I will not say anything good about Hyundai in future, but rather I will dissuade anyone I know of from buying Hyundai, and mention to them, this problem which they (business smarts = NOT) refused to resolve. Come on! They have 1 problem with one part for car, and can't fix it after 3 to 4 years of mention? They can add an entirely new "luxury" car to their line, but can't resolve a defect in the one and only 'sport line' assembly they already have?? Going forward with Hyundai . . . up the hill, and down the cliff. Again, 'Business Smarts' = Not, when they insult the intelligence of the customers they seek to allure with simple gloss and market exaggeration. That is how they encourage young or enthusiastic drivers? Also, all of their parts are overly expensive. Thank you for sharing what the flywheel rep said.
  • jack22wiljack22wil Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Tiburon and have went through 3 clutches in 30,000 miles. I like the car but the clutches are not covered under warranty. The car's starter went out at 17000 miles but that was covered under warranty, the clutch costs nearly $2000 to install at my local dealer in NJ. I would not recommend this car to anyone. I have owned 3 manual cars in the past and have never had a clutch go out on me so I do not think it is me.
  • 01tib01tib Member Posts: 1
    every one that needs a new clutch or flywheel and thing thay should be replaced under warrenty from the dealer. need to stop talking about the tiburons like there a piece of crap. just because something when rong with your car its pritty comin to have to replace car parts. thats why there are repair shops if you clutch go's at 40000 k maybe you should look at you driving instead of blaming the dealers for falter parts. my wife has a 01 tiburon and yes its needed work and right now needs a clutch at 170,000. but its all been problems from how people drive the car. the tiburon has a lot of power for a stoke car. people need to lern how to drive them better. if every one drove it like a normal person it wouldnt need to be fixed. the people that say that the clutch went in there car so thay sold it need to give there head a shake its a clutch it duz brake. just like a honda so in stead of saying all the bad things about your car maybe try sayings about your that broke because of the way you drive them.
    Maybe this and maybe that, but obviously so many people complaining about the same thing, and even a supplier for that car part admitting that there was a problem with it . . . I don't know that it's so good to so quickly invalidate so many people, and dismiss their credibility so enthusiastically. As for myself, I never had a manual, so I can't complain about what I did not experience. It's great to be affirmative for what works for us, and yet,perhaps different models, and even individual cars receive some variations in their supplies, or the quality of their assembly.
  • jluke78jluke78 Member Posts: 1
    The 2001 Tiburon is a completely different car than the new generation. Perhaps you should research more before posting idiotic comments blindly in this message board.

Also, you might want to use spell check and avoid gangsta spellings of words like "duz" as it makes you sound like a complete moron.

Obviously there are serious issues with the new Tiburons.
  • peterszpetersz Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my Tib 2003 GT. And I had the car serviced at a deal, and their service personal tried to explain to me that the car need a new flywheel with the clutch replacement. The Flywheel, how does a solid steel go bad? And the Dealer wants to charge me 900.00 for the part. I could of bought a new flywheel and clutch for 500.00? I feel hyundai is making fool of as all.

one upset tib customer!
  • tib03tib03 Member Posts: 2
    My son bought a 03 with 56,000 miles on it. Had a 4 hour drive to get home, and did not make it. Had to replace flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. Cost $1811. He drove the car for one month before starting basic in the Navy. After basic he came and got his car at thanksgiving and drove home with it at christmas. The clutch quit again, and everything is shot again. Only 4400 miles on the clutch. It went out without warning, and alot of the miles were put on on the interstate. Does anyone know how well after market parts are working, as I do not want hyundai parts again? Has anyone gotten warranty?
  • juliew2juliew2 Member Posts: 1
    I to hae a problem with my 2004 tiburon. the clutch keeps grabbing and i have to turn the car of if i want to go. I have had a mechanic look at it and he replaced the Hydraulics but the problem was still there. Hyundai have looked at it and have said nothing wrong but could be the mas flywheel. Cost to check and repair Aus $2600
    As i have been driving the same driving over the past 19 years with various cars, i said i have never had any clutch or gearbox problem. He just said wear and tear. I think in Australia the problem hasn't come to their notice yet. I am taking my car to a Hyundai
    spear parts man tonight to have a look at it. I love my car and cannot fault it up until now. I have 139000 k on the clock
    julie2
  • tiburon05sctiburon05sc Member Posts: 5
    I posted on here a couple times about my '05 Tiburon V6 GT and having to replace the cluth/flywheel after 9K miles and then again in Oct after another 25K miles. Hyundai refused to do anything for me, saying it was my fault. I went through the Hyundai Customer service and after a month same results.
    A couple weeks later, still mad, I wrote the Better Business Bureau who responded VERY quickly. But I had to fill out about 5-6 pages of information and they wanted a bunch of other info. I figured it was too much time and work so forgot about it. In Dec, I decided what the heck, it's just 42cents postage and a bit of time. After filling it all out, making copies of my first bill, and then the copy of the second occurance with the paid bill from the transmission company I sent it all in. BTW I also included all the messages from this site that everyone is complaining about the same issue, and the info about the 2003 class action lawsuite regarding the same problem. I expected nothing to happen... however the BBB responded back very fast saying they were going to investigate. I had several dialogues with the BBB. The end result for the BBB was that Hyundai was refusing to do anything. BUT, the BBB advised me I still had 1 more alternative. They could arrange for a 3rd pary outside arbitrator to hear the case. I would have to appear in their offices presenting my side with all documentation. Hyundai would also have to appear and give why it was my fault and not theirs. I was not going to do it, but decided lets do it. BBB told me the date and said they were going to advise Hyundai that they would have to appear for the hearing. 1 hour later the BBB said I would not have to go, Hyundai was agreeing to reimburse me for the $1,800.

I don't know if it will work for you, but what the heck, it''s worth the try and you just might get your expenses reimbursed. Persistance paid off for me

BTW, the BBB will only step in if you still own the vehicle.

Good Luck
  • mrbrownmrbrown Member Posts: 1
    2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE clutch malfunctioning and failure. Poor quality and deformed parts used. Warranty classifies parts as "wear parts." I took my car in for its scheduled maintenance visit to Rick.Case. Hyundai in Roswell, GA. After 2 days I experienced acceleration issues and went back to R. C. Dealership. On duty Technician informed me the clutch was the source of the problem and it would cost me 2000.00+ USD. When I asked why I was told this was covered by warranty during the orignal sales processI received inconclusive answers. After a little internet research I discovered: a class action pending stemming from 03-04 Hyundai Tiburon's choice of clutch parts (fly wheel to be specific) and numerous post on Edmunds Car Space ( over 5 pages of enraged Hyundai Tiburon 03-07 owners') Hyundai refuses to acknowledge the faulty, deformed and defective parts that make up its clutch and continue charging hard working, honest people 2000.00 to fix a problem they know exists and will continue to fail. A message to anyone thinking about buying a HYUNDAI. 1 word.... DON"T !!!!!!!!!!
  • tib03tib03 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the heads up on the BBB. I will try it. My sons car is still standing by the repair shop. We just received a not covered reply from Hyundai a couple of weeks ago.
  • neukdaeneukdae Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Hyundai Tibby and I love it to death... I just made a little mistake, I let a friend drive my car and she burnt the clutch in 4 hours. That clutch lasted through me teaching 3 other people how to drive a stick and I never had any problems. This car is my baby, I've put over 127k on it myself and I just need to find out where I can get some info on how to change this clutch. If anyone can help me out that'd be awesome.
  • 07poctib07poctib Member Posts: 1
    I wish my tib had lasted to 30,000 miles for the third clutch/flywheel. I just had it towed because the 3rd clutch/flywheel went out last night at 23,646 miles. :mad: Got the original replaced at 12,000 miles, the second at 19,000 and now the third....all for $2,020.00......unbelievable. I've had manual cars all my life and haven't had a clutch go since my MG Midget in 1976. Not only do I have clutch and flywheel problems my sensors are always having to be replaced. Seat belt, airbag, TPMS, engine....you name it the sensor has been replaced....sometimes twice. :lemon: These are under warranty but geeze I'm getting pretty sick of seeing the service guy. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • vahmedvahmed Member Posts: 2
    My advice to anyone who is having clutch and flywheel problems is to get rid of that LEMON!! :lemon: I posted a message in this forum just 11 months ago and I have to replace the damn thing again..My clutch did not even last one year..and again the price is going to be $2000+ to fix this piece of crap..I bought my Tiburon in December of 2006 and it is now September of 2008 and I have probably spent upwards of $6000 on maintenance and repairs for faulty parts and I have not even had the car for 2 years yet..

Not to mention my defective airbag and seatbelt sensors, this car is the epitome of a lemon and I regret the day I ever bought it..Hyundai USA is a horrible company and one day they are going to lose all credibility which is really a stupid business move.. :mad:

I am looking into just dumping this car and getting into something more reliable because I simply can not afford another HUGE problem. In the economy we are living in today, how in the world am I supposed to have enough money to get all of this fixed???? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • nado2036nado2036 Member Posts: 2
    STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR. I just got told that my clutch is bad in my 03 hyundai tiburon for the third time in 45,000 miles. Of course Hyundai will not cover and will not return a phone call. Get rid of this car while it is running becuase the clutch will go out on you every year and cost you at least $1100 every time and that is only if you buy the parts and find a cheap mechanic. :mad:
  • 8428tiburon8428tiburon Member Posts: 1
    I'm Farouq and a first time poster. Brand new to this site and can't believe all of these familiar stories that I've been reading. I am currently financing a 06 tiburon gs and have had so many different problems with this car. I traded in my fabalous but stead fast depreciating mercury milan for this financial black hole that we call a tiburon. Since I've had this poor excuse for a car: I've had the radio replaced under warrenty, the sun roof re-serviced multiply times, also under warrenty, and finally the clutch needed to be replaced 35000 miles into it's pathetic existence, however clutch wasn't covered under warrenty of course. As we've heard time and time again, it's considered a "wear item". When the problem first gained my attention, it was intermittent. Now and again I would notice a grinding feeling and noise when ever I would shift from 1st into 2nd or when ever I down shifted into 2nd. In addition, if I sat at a light for some time and idled in nuetral, I would have the worst time trying to engage 1st gear when ever it was time to take off. I told my self that the clutch was touchie. So I would rev up ever so slightly just to manage getting it into gear. I brought the car in immediately to the dealerships service department thinking that what ever the problem was the warrenty would cover it. However, during the first visit the problem was SO intermittent that they couldn't get the clutch to behave in the way that I had describe to them. I was told to bring it back in when the problem worsend. I'm 26 years old and I've had a permit at 15, a license at 16, and been pilot of a manual transmission vehical since 17. Still, to eliminate any possibility of "driver error" I tested the car with other even more experienced drivers. At first like I said before, the problem was come and go but, I was able to pin point a frame in which the clutch would act up more often. Which was any time that I or any one else would shift from1st to 2nd@ 5-6000 rpm, the grinding would occur almost every time. So I brought the car back into the dealership to explain my new discoveries in order to prevent from having to wait for the problem to worsen resulting in major parts having to be replaced which in turn would cause me to be down one of my two much needed automobiles. I was unsuccessful at my attempt to implement any preventive medicine regarding this matter and was once again sent away because they couldn't realize a problem therefore they couldn't fixed the problem. To make matters worse instead of words of encouragement and understanding I was sent away with " well these tiburons aren't designed for high speed shifting" After I tried to help THEM locate the problem.! I left still not knowing that when ever the problem did surface that it wouldn't be covered by warrenty. I continued driving the car easy as possible until finally the clutch got so bad that it ground every time that it was shift between the first three of my five fantastic gears. Also, I started experiencing slippage. When I got it in to gear any gear I noticed that when ever I would press the throttle the car would near immediately red line. This is a problem when the clutch is fully engaged. I live in Ocala Florida yet I work in Gainesville. Those of us who know, understand that it is a 45 minute drive once you hit the interstate. This happens when I'm half way home. So obviously those had to be the signs that our beloved Jenkins Hyundai of Ocala needed to see before they could fix the problem. I get the car into the shop early that next morning only to find out that : the entire clutch system needs to be replaced, which includes, disc assy-clutch, bearing-clutch re, cover assy-clutch, bolt-flywheel, it's not cover under warrenty it's considered to a wear item, the bill would be $1300, didn't have the parts on hand, it would be a week before they even received the parts needed, and last but not least to add insult to injury since it wasn't a warrenty issue there would be no loaner car offered. $1275.00 later ( because I brought the Car Care Coupons) I had a new factory clutch put in. Any thing done to that car was done by the factory in order to not void the warrenty that I still am under today. The work was completed back in 08-08-08. It's now 10-07-08 and once again I'm experiencing the beginning stages of this gargantuan disaster for the second time, Which brings me to this point obviously I can't dump the car now, it's not paid off, I'm already upside down from the previous trade in, it's not under my name, if I were to attempt to trade again I would have Gallardo payments driving in a used 02 Civic, what should I do? Second questioned is that those of us that have replaced their clutch more than once already, why did you come out the pocket for it? If when the first or any time you paid to get the clutch replaced, it then becomes guaranteed and falls under a temp warrenty for up to 12 months or 12000 miles which ever comes first. So if it went bad again with in that time table you should've been able to have it replace again for free right? At the very least that would have bought you some time to dump the car and pick up something else before you had to put any money into it again. I used to a die hard hyundai fan. I even looked foward to the 2010 rwd Genesis coup that will be replacing the tiburon line. I even had it as my screen saver. But now I'm so scared that I'm about to be screwd over that I hate hyundai with a passion. I'm a full time waiter working only part time hours. A husband, a father, and can't afford this [non-permissible content removed] right now. Please any advise is welcome.
  • swapnilbswapnilb Member Posts: 2
    So i just bought a 2004 GT and it has a little less then 50k miles on it and the clutch has already burned out. Guess the guy before me didn't really know how to drive it but i was wondering if anyone knew an affordable after market reliable clutch under $300 to put into the car. I also wanted to know if anyone knew the cost of installation of this part.
  • swapnilbswapnilb Member Posts: 2
    i posted a few days ago can anyone tell me a good clutch for an affordable price on my 04 GT?
  • deangarrisdeangarris Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm the guy who started this post a couple of years ago. have since got rid of my Hyundai. I replaced the Clutch and Flywheel with after market parts from a place called ClutchMasters. You should be able to google them for prices. The problem with the Tiburon's though is the Dual-Mast flywheel they started using in 2003. That is what is buring out your clutch.
  • callreedcallreed Member Posts: 2
    o ya my 2007 clutch just went out. at 24,500. For a sum of 1600