Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Directional is absolutely fine, in fact I'm using them now on BOTH of our Subarus.

Just rotate F<>R without swapping sides, of course.

-juice
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    Well, I've been posting lately because I was thinking of replacing the brake pads on my forester. Anyway, I never got around to it but I did manage to total the car the other night (don't worry, nothing to do with the brakes).

I got lost and hit what was essentially a ski slope, went airborne, and came down in a rut on the side of the road, on a large rock. I wasn't even speeding.

I've never been in an accident before. I guess my question is how do I know what is a fair price to be offered if the car is deemed totalled? Is this a bargaining process?

I posted in this section because I've gotten to know some of posters here, but can move the post to another area if this is not there is a better place.

Thanks for any advice.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to check out the Replacement Cost by Insurance Company for Totaled Vehicle discussion as well.

tidester, host
    no msg
    I was lost at night and hit what was essentially a ski slope, went airborne, and came down in a rut on the side of the road, on a large rock. I wasn't even speeding but the damage was major.

I've never been in an accident before. I guess my question is how do I know what is a fair price to be offered if the car is deemed totalled? Is this a bargaining process?

It's a 2003 Subaru Forester XS with 28,000 miles, no accidents, one owner, clean, etc. Thanks for any help.

If anyone cares to read on, the following might help someone. After I got out of the car to see if I was OK, it really didn't look too bad. I called AAA and they pulled it out of the ditch, saw the damage was extensive and went back to get a flat bed. While they were gone, the state police (NH) came and removed the vehicle to whatever lot they use. So the original guy came back and found no car.
    Lessons learned: 1) AAA does not cover these towing fees (at least with standard AAA), so make sure you know what you're covered for or what your insurance covers for towing. I now have to pay the initial pull out of the ditch, the return trip with the flatbed to find the car gone, the guy who the cops had do the actual towing, storage in his lot while I figured out where my care was, and finally towage to the final repair facility.
    2) I didn't realize I had to call the police. I figured I had run off the road, nobody was hurt, no property damage, etc. Well, the state police were pretty angry and told me that I had created property damage to the earth and that I could face a year in jail for a misdemeanor but that they would only give me a speeding ticket instead on the assumption that I must have been going too fast for conditions.

So anyway, I apologizde for a long saga. Hopefully someone can offer advice on the financial aspects.
    I revisited the scene today and it is unsafe at the speed limit in broad daylight. The neighbors report frequent runoffs. Pretty frustrating since I have a clean record and have been driving for 30 years.
    sorry about the last message. I meant to take the tidester's advice and post in "Replacement Cost by Insurance Company for Totaled Vehicle"
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    In most States, the posted "Speed Limit" is only the maximum under optimal conditions.

Other conditions, including driving at night, in snow, rain or ice, means you must not go faster than those conditons would allow. Not knowing the road you are on, is another of those conditions that dictate a slower speed.

People can be, and often are, cited for going 35 in a 50 zone, if the driving conditions are such exceeding even 20 would be unsafe. ;)
    Terry,
    I see your point. On the other hand, is there no responsibility for the condition of a road to be consistent? Isn't it reasonable for me to expect a warning if there is a sudden hazard approaching in a road, such as "warning, uneven pavement, bump ahead, exercise caution"??
    How about a stop sign???

I think you're saying that people should use reasonable caution when driving (and I agree), but if you take that to an extreme, I might as well get out and walk. Sometimes bad things happen and one doesn't necessarily need to receive a ticket. Maybe a stop sign would do more good.
    There's no way they could put signs up for every road when there is a situation like a snow emergency. Radio stations do that.

I believe they also issue fog warnings in weather reports.

-juice
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Well, the only person who could take that responsibility, totally, usually only responds to prayer. ;)

I agree that signage, such as "Curve Ahead", "Uneven Pavement" or "Icy" are of great help, and under budget constraints, woefully lacking in many localities. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call or email to the local road department to spark the placement of such signs. After all, it is unreasonable to expect a road department to know of, or anticipate all hazardous areas, so they need our help as well.

Over-use of "Stop" signs is a big problem, and generates more driver anger than any other sign. Not to mention impeding the flow of traffic in good weather. The problem you posted about, it doesn't seem as if a "Stop" without an intersection being right there, would help, and possibly create more of a hazzard than it would fix, especially in the Summer months. :)

If it were my call, possibly I would use the placement of temp caution signs, the ground-type, with the battery yellow blinkers on them, in the area you mention.
    All are valid points. This actually was an intersection with stop signs in the other direction (don't ask me why). The conditions were not particularly hazardous compared to the usual. No snow, not particularly muddy. The rut along the side of the road is littered with car parts and the neighbors say people lose it on a regular basis.
    Anyway, I sure wish I hadn't gone off, I'm glad I'm not hurt badly, and if I were king of the world, I'd make it a four way stop sign.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    As Juice said, you are safe with a directional tire.

I've had the Bridgestone Potenza 009s in stock size on my FXT for two weeks, and can already attest to them being a massive improvement over the Geos. I felt much more secure on wet roads during recent downpours, and haven't heard a peep out of them, much less managed to break them loose just yet (at least not on pavement ;) ), whereas the Geosquealers certainly lived up to their name and reputation.

Doug
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Hi folks. Back on the subject of tires....

It's been a long time since I've posted, and it seems the Subaru forums are much less active now that Edmunds has split everything up for the Forester group. But since I've gotten so much out of these forums, I'm still going to let everyone know my $.02.

About 2 years ago, going on the high ratings of Consumer Reports and generally positive feedback elsewhere, I replaced my OEM Geos with the Falken Ziex ZE512 on my '03 Forester XS Premium.

My initial impressions (click here for full details eps105, "Subaru Forester (up to 2005)" #15940, 20 Jan 2005 6:35 pm) were very positive, with only one exception. They were quieter than the OEMs, stuck like glue in all wet and dry conditions, and improved my cornering tremendously, but if they were inflated more than about 10% over Subaru recommendations, I could feel each and every bump and rut on the road. So to compromise, I kept them inflated around 30-32 psi-- a good tradeoff between performance, quiet ride, and mileage.

I've now had them for 26,000 miles, and my opinion has changed drastically. They have gotten increasingly noisy as they've worn, and now exhibit a warbling noise at low to moderate speeds despite frequent rotations and alignment checks. The outsides have now worn almost completely bald, with about 5/32 remaining in the middle 50%. When it rains, I slide around as if there is ice on the road even at low to moderate speeds going around corners and accelerating. It's the first time in my 10 years of owning AWD Subarus that I've been able to spin my wheels from a stop!

These tires are shot and I'm generally disappointed. I know they're performance tires and only warrantied to last 45k, but 26k is too soon and I feel these tires have become dangerous in wet weather.

My brother bought the same tires at the same time on his '01 Forester. His fronts wore bald on the sides before the first rotation and were replaced under the prorated warranty. Yet the rears and the replacement fronts continued to wear quickly in the same fashion as mine, and he has since replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza G009s.

Bottom line -- the Ziex's are a good tire if you want to get a "bargain" price and only want to keep them for 20k miles. Otherwise, you'll get a lot more for your money buying a more expensive tire in the long run.

I know Juice has had good luck with the Falkens on his Miata, but I don't think they're a good match for the Forester.

Now, since then, I've been obsessively researching replacement tires. The Consumer Reports update on Performance tires 2 months ago helped point me in the right direction. After extensively researching tires that had a good blend of performance, wet handling, and quiet ride characteristics, I narrowed down my selection to Bridgestone Potenza G009's and Turanza LS-H, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, and Goodyear Assurance Tripletread.

My brother has G009s on both his Forester and Outback and is reasonably pleased, but my dad put them on his '01 Camry and said they're extremely noisy on the highlway and he was disappointed overall.

So in the end, I've found the most favorable tire pretty consistently to be the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. They're #2 in CR, they have very good feedback and testing on TireRack, and the sales people at several stores (including a very experienced sales manager at Sears) all consistently pointed my toward this tire.

The best part is, they sell them at Costco-- FREE rotations, balancing, flat repairs, and roadside assistance for the life of the tire. And next month, they go for $60 off when you buy 4, making the out the door price about $113 per tire installed inlcuding 6% PA tax!

I'll report back in a few months after I've had them for a while and can test them on the PA winter roads.

Sorry this post is so long :sick: , but hopefully I've helped at least one person in cyberspace with their search.

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Elliot
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Elliot,

Thanks! I put the Falken's on our Mazda MPV last year, and after 8,000 miles they are showing some wear on the insides of the fronts. I have been chalking it up to needing an alignment, and that is probably true. Otherwise they are a quiet and grippy tire, so far.

My OEM Geo's have 60.5k on them now, they still grip well and have another 10k on them if necessary. But, I was planning on putting on the Falkens shortly... now I think I will reconsider. Possibly back to the Geos, since I can get them free from my dealer using Subaru Bucks and I really only need to buy 3 anyway since the spare is a full size.

Another poster really likes the Yoko Avid H4 tire. I will take a look at that one, too.

Merry Christmas,

John
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Elliot,

I can't give you a long-term review, just the 5K worth I put on the tires before trading in my Forester, but I would strongly suggest that you take a look at the Yoko Avid H4s.

They're rated 500/AA traction/A temperature, quiet as a churchmouse, great cornering, great in water (didn't get to use them in snow), excellent overall ride, and TireRack's got 'em for about $75 a pop.

The Exalto sounds great, and probably the Costco sale makes it a no-brainer for you, but I had to put in my $.02 about the Avids. I simply could not have been happier with them (and whoever bought our trade-in has to be ecstatic, too).
    The one are where they don't rate that well is in tread life. But I'm OK with that for a couple of reasons:

* I don't like the idea of 7 year old tires, no matter the mileage
    * I drive 2 cars, so neither does a lot of miles per year
    * I'm more than happy to replace the tires every 4 years or so

Longevity just wasn't a big priority for me. I'm still happy with mine, in fact we have them on all 3 cars now, 12 tires total, with no such problems.

-juice
    its interesting, I was looking at the Falken's last night on Tiresdirect. They do not have a mileage rating or warrantly for the Falken's with the H speed.

John
    smittynyc, thanks for your comments about the Yoko Avid H4s. After reading that, I went back to TireRack and re-read the reviews and tests and was strongly encouraged by the generally positive comments, especially the quiet ride, not to mention the significantly lower price.... Then I rechecked Consumer Reports and saw they got the lowest possible ratings (black circles) for both ice braking and snow traction. Since I live and PA, that kind of defeats the point of this being an all-season tire.

So in the end, I think I'm going to stick with spending the extra money and get the Exaltos. Incidentally, the Exaltos got identical ratings to the Avids in all other categories (noise, ride, handling, etc.), so hopefully the Exaltos will prove to be everything you love about the Avids with the added benefit of decent snow traction.

Elliot
  • gocerygettengocerygetten Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2007 forester about a month ago. Three days later we go 8 inches of snow. I couldn't wait to try out the a.w.d. Worked great!! 2 days later took it on the highway and by 40 MPH I could not even hold onto the steering wheel.Shook more than an overloaded lumber wagon!!! Drove it right to the dealer and they said that the snow has melted and refroze in the rims. Ran it through the car wash there and all was well. 2 weeks later freezing rain and then below freezing temps. sat out at work. on my way home, same thing, over loaded lumber wagon I am VERY disapointed in this car. Looked at the rims after I washed it and water sits in the middle of the rim waiting to freeze. poor poor design.. Has anyone else had this problem??? I guess I'll have to buy the alloy rims so I can drive it in the winter.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    This can happen on any car, even those with alloy wheels. What some of us Subaru Crew members do is wax both sides of the wheels, which then helps the ice and snow not stick (not to mention less brake dust too). Does help steel wheels as well.

-Brian
    That happened to me when I had OE steelies.

I got alloys and clean them regularly, wax them at every rotation. Have not had the problem since.

-juice
  • ingridringridr Member Posts: 20
    Hi All -

I apologize if this has been discussed previously. I looked and did not see it specifically in this thread but very well could have missed it :-)

Long story short,

Last week one of my tires went flat and is unrepairable. The remaining three tires are at approximately half tread. My "spare" is a brand new tire of the same brand and make of the remaining three half tread tires.

I have been getting conflicting advice. Some tire people are telling me to replace the remaining three tires due to the AWD and others are telling me that if I put the new tire on a rear tire I should be fine. What is the concensus here? I am not real flush right now to purchase three new tires of the quality that I currently have so would likely have to compromise on quality if I went that route. I am also considering the option of "shaving" the new tire to half tread which seems a waste. I am interested in hearing others experiences and advice here.

Thanks so much :-)
    I know there's been lots of discussion on this issue on the boards. Maybe try searching for keywords like "circumference"?

In any case, the long and the short of it, per Subaru of America, dealers, and the owners manual, is that you cannot have a difference in tire circumference that exceeds 1/4 inch (which ain't a lot). If you have a drivetrain component failure because of tire circumferences that exceed this difference, even due to inflation pressures, your warranty may not be honored.

You can measure the spare to see if it's within this tolerance (it's probably not). Your cheapest option is probably to shave a single new tire. I don't know what kind of car/tire we're discussing here -- there are some really excellent replacement tires for the Forester, e.g., that you can get for 60-70 apiece.

I hope this helps -- good luck!
    I find the stock tires aren't all that good, so I'm going to recommend 4 new (better) tires.

CR rated the Falken Ziex 512s a Best Buy, and discount tire direct carries them, as does VulcanTire.com. The latter was cheaper. I've used Vulcan on two seperate occasions, no problem. You can have the tires mounted at Wal Mart, even, or find a place they recommend.

You save enough ordering on-line that it's cheaper to order 4 tires this way, vs. 3 tires in person, even at a place like Costco. And that is IF you can find the exact OE tire so that you could use the spare.

Buy 4 new and consider the upgrade very worthwhile.

-juice
  • ingridringridr Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to both responses. FWIW, I do not have the stock tires on the car anymore but Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires that the "Ask the Tire Rack" guy recommended and they were not exactly cheap when I bought them (126.00 apiece two years ago). I will check out the Falken tires :-)
    Happy to help . . . and just to clarify, I wholeheartedly second juice's suggestion to replace all the tires. I only suggested single + shave as a bare-bones short term solution.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sumitomo HTR+ should be around $65/tire AWSOME TIRES.

-mike
    ingridr - Nothing against Juice, but just to be sure you get a balanced opinion, be sure to check out my experience with the Falkens on the previous page or click here: eps105, "Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions" #117, 17 Dec 2006 9:04 am

If you only want great wet traction for 20,000 miles or less, the Falkens are fantastic, but for value per mile, they are the most expensive tires I've ever owned.

I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my Forester last week (which CR now rates higher than the Falkens) and so far they are great. If you live near a Costco, they have $60 off a set, making the total installed out the door price $107 per tire. I paid $453 with tax, and they include Nitrogen inflation for free, as well as free flat repairs and rotations for life!

Elliot
    vulcantire.com has the Falkens in 215/60R16 size for just $57 a pop, even with shipping that's only a little more than half the price. That should offset the lesser tread lift.

For me, I'd rather change tires more frequently anyway, as they age the rubber starts to crack and get hard. 3-4 years out of them and I'd be happy.

Your call, Michelins are good tires and may last a bit longer, but you definitely pay a lot more.

-juice
    That's where I order my Azenis Sports. For me my tires of choice...

All-season Tires:
    Dunlop SP5000s -Great 3 Season tire, not that great in snow about $100
    Sumitomo HTR+ -Excellent 4 Season tire, better than SP5000 in snow $65

Summer Tires:
    Faulken Azenis Sports -Great dry traction, not too bad in rain, around $125
    Yokohama ES100s -Great dry traction, and wet traction better than Azenis in rain, not as good in dry, around $100

Race Tires:
    Toyo RA1s -Great cold, wet grip, great tire longevity, not as good in dry as other race tires around $160
    Kumho V710 -Great dry tire, good tire life, price is around $130ish
    Yokohama Advan A048r -Great intermediate tire, good life, better grip than RA1s, less tread life, come in better sizes than the other 2, priced around $160

-mike
  • heathcliff2heathcliff2 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the recommendation re Michelin Pilot Exaltos. Just got back from my first drive on them (2005 Forester) and thrilled with their performance. I live in a area of curvy roads, and was amazed at how well they took the curves. Wore out the Yokos after only 27k miles. Paid a little more than you (around 500 for 4) but convenient because got a good quote to replace brake pads from local Firestone Center. They look good too. Thanks again...hopefully I'll be just as enthusiastic in a year.

Heathcliff2
    alright this turned into one of those snap decisions, of which I generally dislike and on occasion have unpleasant results.

My '03 went to the dealer today for new tires, and since I wanted to use Subaru Bucks for the purchase, I figured that I would let them throw the OEM Geo's on, rotating the spare into the lineup.

I get a call towards noon, we can't get those tires for 4 days and what do you want us to do? They gave me a tire shop down the street, and the salesman was insistent that the Kumho Solus KR21 was a better tire all around, at a better price. I wasn't able to do much research but 10 mins on-line reading reviews, and it sounded like a quiet tire with other good characteristics.

Any of you have good/bad experience with this tire on your Forester?

John
    ok the kumhos seem very nice, handle well and are quieter than the Geo's.

Well this tire discussion may be lost in splitter limbo. Now if I post in the Forester board, I may get hollered at...hmm what to do.

John
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    If it is any consolation, John, I did read your inquiry but had no experience/input to offer! :blush:

I am glad that you are satisfied with the substitutes, though. Were you able to use your Subaru Bucks for them?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Alternative suggestion. As long as the spare is the same model and size, you can find a local shop that will shave the tire (this is a standard procedure for racing tires) to the same circumference as the others. Then you will not need to throw the others away.
    yep, I got 4 new tires, AW alignment, and power steering fluid flush and change for $31 cash. Sweet.

I like these tires very much, no barking at all when I do a slow speed turn in a parking lot. The worn out Geos would make the pedestrians run for cover even though I was only going 5 mph.

John
    all 4 were pretty much toasted at 67,000 miles. I could have made 70,000 easily but the other day I discovered a slow leak and a nail in one of them. Time to go. I am cheap, but I don't fix tires 90% gone.

John
  • ddunbarddunbar Member Posts: 31
    I'm curious how you negotiated with the dealership to use Subarubucks for tires from another tire shop. My dealership is very much overpriced on their tires. But, I'd like to be able to use Subarubucks for some of the cost, and I don't have enough built up now to cover the total expense.
    The way I approached it was that I needed an alignment done and a power steering flush. The dealer did tack on an extra $10 a tire markup. They will get theirs, to be sure.

I got 4 tires mounted and balanced, power steering flush, AWD alignment and a "free" car wash. The out of pocket charge was $30. I think the total bill was $530.

In the past, I have called the dealer asking if I could buy tires. They do not like to sell tires over the counter, but many have a relationship with someone local where they can source tires when needed for a job.

These Kumhos have far exceeded my expectations. They handle great and are much quieter. They should get 60k tire life as well.

John
  • hms1994hms1994 Member Posts: 1
    I just went to two tire shops in my town today for quotes on new tires - they quoted me 60,000 mile mid-range priced all-season tires from Dean and Mastercraft (Touring LSR). Does anyone have experience with these tires? (The prices were between $65 and $84 a tire.) If not, do you recommend some widely available mid-range all-season tires for this car? Thanks!
  • scoobysterscoobyster Member Posts: 1
    Let me help you out. I sell tires for a living and drive an 07 forester myself. The tires that I have been looking at for my car are Michelin Primacy MXV4s. They are a little pricier but they are well worth the money. If you are looking mid-range you should look at the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, The Kumho Solus KH16, or even the sumitomo HTR H4. All these tires offer all season traction but with out the noise like Goodyears, Generals, most house brands and others. Check out all these tires on Tire Rack. Most of what I recomend will fit your price range.
  • facopsfacops Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2.5 XT Limited Forester and am thinking of upgrading my stock tires. I live in the northeast where we get some snow and ice in the winter. I do mostly highway driving (and some dirt roads). Any thoughts on possible upgrades would be appreciated.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Tirerack.com will ask you the year, make and model of your car. After you enter the data it will list all the tires that fit you car. You can see reviews and prices for your Subie's replacement tires.
    Can't say enough good things about the Sumitomo HTR+ tires. Very inexpensive, grippy in dry and wet and snow.

-mike
    Even Consumer Reports rated them well. They were the lowest priced tire yet they fell right smack in the middle in their ratings.

Best bang for the buck?
  • jbdc1jbdc1 Member Posts: 3
    I've seen previous posts suggesting that 225/60R16 tires would work as well as the stock 215 size, but Tirerack told me if I ordered the 225 for my '04 XS that they thought the tires would rub on the front struts since 225s are about a half inch wider. It seems to me like that would mean a quarter inch closer to the strut and that there is plenty of room. Has anyone tried 225 and actually had a problem with clearance from struts or body?
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Go to SubaruForester.org and you can find everything you want and more... Tables of compiled data on various aspects ad nauseum, personal experience and on and on...
  • windy101windy101 Member Posts: 6
    My 3-month old 2008 Forester had its 2nd tire broken yesterday. Last time was the rear right tire (I posted here and got a lot of helpful feedback, thanks again), and this time rear left tire. Both happened when I drove in city's local road (not even rough) , and no visible big things to hit as I can tell.

While once could be my luck, I don't believe every time is. Now I really concern about this car's tire quality and safety issue. I wonder if anyone else has similiar problem with the tires?

I called Subaru this morning, and was told tire is warrantied by bridgestone. Called bridgestone and will go for one of their shops for tire inspection. Is there anything else I shall consider to be 'preventive'? This is our primary family car and many times kids on it as well. I can't imagine what if same thing happens in highway, or in bad weather condition?
    I would check the tire pressure. But 2 failures in such a short time is just bizarre. And no I've seen nothing like that on a Forester.

Bridgestone is reponsible for the warranty so definitely a good idea to go to one of their authorized stores to have all the tires inspected.
  • goose7goose7 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the stock Yoko Geo G900s with Yoko Geolandar A/T-S with no problems. Much more agressive tread, no additional road noise and they come in the 215/60/16 size. Much better treadwear rating (500 vs. 320) .