Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    I understand your question about pricing. I don't know if you're interested, but my advice would be to wait and buy one that's nearly new (6 months?) for many thousands off the "new" price.

That's what I did, and I got the truck I wanted for a GREAT price. I still had plenty of warranty left and the dealer here still treats me like a valued customer (and I didn't even buy it used from him!)

Just my $.02 -Bob
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The manufacturer cannot dictate what vehicles are sold for, although all manufacturers set MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price) at what they feel is a fair price for their product. One thing to remember about most Land Rover dealers is they do not have the high volume of sales to allow deep discounts. You can make less profit percentage off your vehicles if you can sell a lot of them. Land Rover dealers don't have this luxury, they have to retain a higher percentage of profit per vehicle to stay in business. Land Rover sold less vehicles in the US (Discovereys and Range Rovers) last year for the year than Ford sold Explorers in one month.
  • 4myinfo4myinfo Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 96 or newer Discovery for my kid's first car. We have been looking at Toyota 4 Runners but pricing on older Disc seems competitive. What should I look out for? elec problems? expensive to repair? bad brakes? any info I would appreciate.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    I think they are just using the "MSRP" line because they are new.

"Each Land Rover Retailer sets vehicle prices individually." This is directly off of their website. So the price should be a little flexible.

The price you were quoted doesn't sound bad at all. That is the lowest Iv'e heard.

Do they have the Center Diff Lock in it yet?

Good Luck
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Watch for rust... Around the Upper "Safari" windows, bottoms of doors, hood..etc.

If it's rusty, pass on it.

Watch for leather wear, lack of maintinence (Is it sitting on el-cheapo-el-crappo tires?), faded paint on the hood and roof, little electrical problems and AC..

Overall, after scaring you (LOL) these are GREAT vehicles. They dont like being mis-maintained though.

If any of you are in Orlando BTW, I have a GREAT Land Rover tech!

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Center diff lock is not available yet.
  • sportmsportm Posts: 3
    Thanks to everybody for the info. Mrwhipple, I think what you said about the price being higher because they are new is probably true. Maybe I should be a little more patient and wait a month or so to give them an idea of how well their inventory will move. I am also surprised to hear that is the lowest price you've heard. And for "tincup47", what you said also makes sense. I will take all this into consideration before finalizing anything. But if I can get them to go lower, better for me! I will update my final price. Thanks again!
    I don't want to be the one to throw water on the fire, but I wouldn't buy a Rover for a kid's first car.

My thinking is this: I know how I drove in my teens (ahem). I know how peer pressure prods one into doing things not normally done. I know that these are trucks and not cars, with corresponding high CGs and roll rates. I know these are tough vehicles, but also expensive to fix.

If it was me, I'd buy something a little more disposable, cheaper to fix, and able to withstand the unthinkable: an intersection side impact.

It ain't cool, but a BIG sedan comes to mind. Look at what the police and cabbies drive... they spend their lives in harm's way in traffic. Their choice for vehicles makes sense.

In a few more years, think about something with a high CG and long travel suspension. This is your child, one of the most precious things in the Universe. If your selection makes you uncool, s/he will thank you for it some day.

Just my $.02 -Bob
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I'm with Bob on this one. A great first car would be a used, ex-cop (P71)Crown Vic.

Just my 2¢. - Dave :-)
  • sportmsportm Posts: 3
    Thanks to everybody for the info. Mrwhipple, I think what you said about the price being higher because they are new is probably true. Maybe I should be a little more patient and wait a month or so to give them an idea of how well their inventory will move. I am also surprised to hear that is the lowest price you've heard. And for "tincup47", what you said also makes sense. I will take all this into consideration before finalizing anything. But if I can get them to go lower, better for me! I will update my final price. Thanks again!
    Any news on when it's going to appear in the new model. Iv'e heard rumors it might show up after the Aug. build dates. Any truth?
  • ahinesahines Posts: 1
    I can't stand it any longer. I have to have a Discovery. Other than you folks, I can't seem to find many positive remarks about this car. Am I about to waste my money or are we really talking "Rover Envy" by the reviewers? I just can't picture myself driving an Explorer!

Thanks
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,322
    If you have to have it, go get it:-) Life's too short, and most reviewers don't get all that much seat time before they jump into another rig.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I am flying 200 miles tomorrow to purchase a 2003 Discovery II HSE. The only negative reviews that I have read were in reference to the outdated body style. Also, I noticed that it didn't fare so well with some collision test's. Ahines - What negative reviews are you referring too?
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    Who cares what a reviewer thinks, they gripe about Rover styling and ergonomics. So what if some of the switchgear isn't located where it is in other vehicles. After owning a Rover for a short time you get used to where everything is located. Rovers have a certain Roverness that no other vehicle on earth has - there's only one way to scratch the Land Rover itch - get one! You won't regret it.

Good to see everyone is enjoying their Rovers - I'm still in the sunbelt and just don't have a need for another Land Rover. I was in the market for an SUV type vehicle last year and ended up with a new BMW X5 - it ain't no Land Rover but it fits my needs perfectly since the tallest hill around here is a parking lot speed bump and the most inclement weather is an occaisional rain storm. That new Range Rover is one sweet looking ride - I think I feel an itch comming on - I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer, I must avoid my local Land Rover dealer.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    I purchased my new 03 Disco SE a few weeks ago. It is great! I got it for less than MSRP. Drove 200 miles to get it but it was worth it. The dealer had the color and equipment I was looking for. Really happy with the 4.6 engine.

KK
  • lexlanlexlan Posts: 10
    I am considering purchasing a Disc II loaded with 39K miles from a dealer in TX. The price seems too good to be true at $22K. Anyone have any opinions about known problems with the 99's. There is no known outside service facility in Memphis other than the dealer which I have heard is hard to deal with on service. I am weighing a DII vs. a new GMC p/u. I know the DII is a much more unique purchase but my off road time will be limited at most. How does the ride for a 30 min. commute each day. I already know the mileage will be horrendous..any opinions from DII owners?
  • Background: Cars are VERY expensive in Thailand and I have the Landrover itch...so my only choice at the moment is a 1994 V8 (3.9L) Discovery. which will cost around 16,000 US Dollars (New Discoveries are around (67,000US dollars - I know...madness!)

The car I am considering has 100,000Kms on the clock, ONE owner and a full service history at Landrover.

The dealer will let me take it away and have it checked over by Landrover (can't be fairer than that)before purchase.

Can anyone advise: What should I have checked? What can I expect to change in the future?
    Info would be much appreciated....
    Pricey! Sure you can't get by with a tuk-tuk? ;-)

Steve
    Host

I'd say you've got a good one there. If the owner kept it that long and kept up the service, then all bugs are worked out and he hung onto it for a reason. It's before the GEMSII system, which is good (no sticking exhaust valves). All service is verifiable, and at 100k kms you have a TON of life left. Look closely for rust at the base of the door frames and the alpine windows, and check the fluids for corrosion and rust. If you do buy it, have ALL fluids changed and start your own logs for change intervals. Note you're coming up on the 65,000 mile service and that's a spendy one... it might be a negotiating point?

Good luck! -Bob
    To all,

Just bear with Steve. He spent a long time here in Alaska and once he moved out, his brain thawed. The symptoms you see here are normal. The only solution is to do what I do: stay here and keep the grey matter perpetually frozen.

*grin* (and ducking)
    All the engines had "sticking valves". The valve sticking problem became apparent with the onset of OBDII diagnostics. One of the items it checks for is misfires, and it doesn't take much of a misfire to trigger a CEL. Most sticking valve problems are CEL lights illuminating, only in extreme circumstances is it noticable in earlier engines without misfire detection. The engine did not undergo any major changes with the onset of the GEMS system, it just exposed an already existing problem that wasn't a major deal.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've held my exhaust valves in my hands and seen the black gum on the valve stem, and tried to slide it up and down in the guide, and have been unable to do so (as smoothly as it needs be.)

My understanding is the onset of the 4.0L engine with its new head design in '96 is the culprit; the '95 had far fewer instances of sticking valves. In fact, having had the carbon cutting valves put in my '96 and changing nothing else, I have not had a repeat of the stumbling, lack of power, *EXTREMELY* bad misfire, etc. etc. If it was simply an over-inquisitive OBD system, it would have immediately recognized the continuing driving patterns, fuel grades, temperature ranges... none of which has changed.

With all due respect, this is what I've gleaned from my years with the beast. I appreciate your input. -Bob
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    "Sticking valves" is an oft-discussed topic at another Disco board I frequent and it seems to be a generally accepted "truth" that it was not an issue in the 3.9's but only in the 4.0's.

Don't shoot the messenger, just reporting what I've read.
    The Cylinder head part number was the same from the start of US production (94) with the 3.9 engine and was not changed until December of 1998, when the Bosch Engined vehicles appeared in the Discovery Series II. The heads and valves are the same for the 3.9-4.0 engines according to the parts book. Any repairs after Dec. 1998 would have used the newer components.
    Would this potential problem affect the 4.6 in the '03 models?
    I understand the advent of GEMS on the '96 4.0 was when the problem started. It's coincidental that OBDII showed up that year too... or perhaps it was necessitated to keep GEMS on a short leash?

In any case, the problem didn't affect all Discos, and no amount of additives and hard driving (I speak from experience here) would clear the valve stems once fouled.

There was some GEMS tweaking and voila' the '97s had much less sticking. It has since been innoculated out of the line... to the point I wouldn't even give it a thought in the 2003.

You must remember that what I know of these trucks is relative to only a couple of years, and much of it is inherited conjecture... with a certain amount of urban legend thrown in for fun. For certain, these beasts thrive on regular hard use (which may have kept the valves scrubbed) but not quite so certain is whether indeed Lord Lucas remains close at hand.

LORD LUCAS DISCLAIMER: My lousy British piece of tin (whoops: aluminum) runs like a crippled sow in a field of wet wheat, and drips oil like the Exxon Valdez on Bligh Reef. wink wink, nudge nudge.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    My lousy British piece of tin (whoops: aluminum) runs like a crippled sow in a field of wet wheat, and drips oil like the Exxon Valdez on Bligh Reef.

If it's British then shouldn't it be aluminium? :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    ...I just cannot bring myself to put the emphasis on that syllable, no matter how I try.

;)
    Let's not even get into how you pronounce "Valdez" up there :-)

Steve
    Host