Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The usual industry standard is 3% variance, so you'd be within that tolerance.

If I had a choice, though, I'd go 3% taller, to gain clearance for the snow, so you don't high-center.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    AJ, it cracks me up that you are focused on clearance, considering the amount of snow the DC area tends to get per year.

I agree that extra clearance can come in handy, but in this situation, I think I would use up the current tires and then go to the 215/65/R16 after these wear out. Why not stick with the 17" size? 16" tires are much cheaper, plus the taller sidewalls offer better rim protection, and you never know when you might hit a large chunk of ice or some other object hidden in the snow.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Nearly none.

We've had one ice storm this year and it was less than an inch and mostly freezing rain and ice.

I'm just thinking of the folks that do get real snow, though.

I might even choose 205/70R16 tires, narrow and tall, to dig in and increase clearance.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Here's a handy Tire Size Calculator that you can use to compare tire circumferences/# revs per mile.

From what I've read, it's preferred to use smaller diameter wheels for winter tires with the marginal loss of clearance more than offset by the advantages of taller sidewalls.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that in 2002 the L and S models both had 16" wheels.

-Frank

P.S. Juice- I gotta agree with Wes, you're seriously worrying about fractions of an inch clearances when you live in DC? :P
    Hahahha! Darn the Internet, Frank! Oh, well, I may have wasted a few minutes calculating those numbers, but at least the link you provided gives me added faith in my numbers. :blush:

Agreed about the small diameter wheels and taller sidewalls for winter driving. I think, at least on snow/ice covered roads (which are the ones I get - consistently - for 6+ months a year), the better handling characteristics of lower sidewalls are a moot point because the car is going to slide well before a difference in handling is realized. ;)

Keeping a car over many years means at least two sets of winter tires will be purchased, and possibly more depending on the wear characteristics, miles on the road, road conditions during those miles, etc., so the savings involved in not having the tires swapped between one set of rims will cover a second set, and if buying a second set, the tire cost savings from purchasing smaller rim-size tires will further offset that investment. It seems like a win all around, to me. And, the best part is that the same set of rims will accommodate any of the three 16" tire sizes discussed here, so the preference of the owner (slightly taller 16" tires, slightly shorter, or slightly skinnier) is left to the owner's discretion! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My Miata has about 4" of clearance and bottoms out all the time!

That's why I take the wife's Forester when it snows. That's got enough clearance even for our (very) occasional blizzard.
  • packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    With all this great help, my way foward is clear: get second set of 16" rims for the 'zaks and have them ready for next season (I'm optimistic CHI is past the worst of winter!). This gives me time to find a set of cheap rims vs. urgent / must do - have enough of those!

The variation in odo output and ground clearance, etc. should be minimal and certainly any negative trade-offs will be offset by the better performance in snow & ice condtions.

02 L's have 15" as standard size; S's moved to larger 16"

Thnx again!
  • laredo13laredo13 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All

I just purchased a 2002 Forester L. The stock sized 205/70R15 tires need to be replaced. I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Blizzaks in this size for winter use on the stock steel wheel as I live in the NE. Then I would purchase a set of the optional 215/60R16 size tire and a set of 16" aluminum rims for the rest of the year. I was looking at the General Altimax HP in 16" or the Altimax RT in 15" as they are highly rated on Tire Rack.

This vehicle will be used by my wife and driven approx.12-15K per year. Any thoughts and opinions on going to 16" vs 15" or should I just stick with the 15's? I'm new to Subaru so any information would be appreciated.
    I like your plan, I'd go with 16"s also.

I had a 98 and made that upgrade and the handling improved notably.
  • cargalrncargalrn Member Posts: 1
    Hi, and thanks for any responses. I have a 2008 Forester, love it, had a puncture last summer, new tire obtained and my right origanal geolander wore on the outside pretty badly, got an alignment and put on snow tires for the winter. I like to be sure I'll get around to ski. So that leaves me with having to replace all the tires (3 geolanders, two of which are fine, and one odd one which is fine). I have searched this forum and tirerack.com until now I am very confused. I have a friend that says Continentals are overpriced and is suggesting a TigerPaw (AWP?) for $95 a tire with mount and balance. I will put my winters on in about early December and remove them in early March.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    cargalrn
  • papaya1040papaya1040 Member Posts: 26
    Got 45k out of the Geo stock in rain, snow in Wisconsin, (no doubt it will pass the 50k mark), not bad at all. Used SubaruBucks to purchase a set of General Tires/Altimax HP in stock size, plus alignment and oil change.

The Geo's got bad rep from a lot of users, it all depends on the way you drive, period.

So far it seems quieter than Geo ( only had them for a day), was looking at Kumho's but came across this GT which got good reviews across the board.
    Your dealer accepted Subaru Bucks for tires?

Sweet...
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I have my eye on those General Tires/Altimax HP also for my next tires to replace my Kuhmo Solus (been a good tire much better than Geolanders - a notch short of great tires). I would appreciate an update on how these Generals are working for you. Especially the noise & ride quotient.
    Hi Juice,

Their parts dept let me order any tire I want, and the price they quote is within $5 compared to a local tire store, plus they are a new dealership which offers 10% discount on all parts and service....so I end up getting a better deal than going to a tire store.

The review of this tire on tirerack is even better than the good year triple tread.

Regards
    Cool. We have $400 saved up so I may look into that, see if my dealer will take 'em also.

I kinda wanted a trailer hitch and a bike rack but it's her car and she used veto power.
  • fandcfandc Member Posts: 51
    Coincidence. I just put these on my son's Legacy to replace the SP5000s (no longer made). The reviews on Tire Rack were compelling. So far he says that the traction is better, not surprising since the SP5000s were around 30K miles.

I had thought of RE960s, as he uses dedicated winter tyres, but these seemed to be a better all-around tyre.
  • grafzeppelingrafzeppelin Member Posts: 14
    My wife recently got a 2009 Forester and I ran across the issue of having to replace a flat tire. Basically I don't want her to have to change out two tires if she has a flat on the front. The car has seventeen inch aluminum wheels and the dealer recommended that we buy a steel rim (he said he would have to charge full price for a replacement 17 inch alloy wheel) and mount a new 17 inch Geolander.

Any advice or recommendations?
    We did this for a 2002 Legacy.

What I recommend is shop around for used Subaru rims, you only need one. Find someone that had an XT and did a Plus One, maybe.

I got alloys, so I had 4 spare steel wheels. Sold one to a friend who did the same thing I did - mounted a new tire and created a full sized spare. The other two I think I ended up recycling, noone wanted 15s.
    I'm not sure I understand.

In looking for used Subaru rims, do you mean check with salvage yards? I think it's going to be hard finding the 17" rims. The guy at Discount tire said a new steel rim to fit the Forester would run me ~$90.00.
    I think that price is waaaay high.

Tire Rack was selling WRX take-offs, alloy, for less than that.

Should be $50 or so.
    Thanks for the info. I'm assuming Tire Rack is online?
    http://www.tirerack.com/

It may be harder since the Forester is less common, but check with them.
    Had over 300 miles on this set of General Altimax, both dry and rain, I have to say this tire is super quiet....all I hear now is the engine and wind noise, it will be awhile before it snows again. I put 34psi all round and it still look under inflated in the front. It seems to give me better mileage but that has to be further tested. If it behaves decent in snow, this will be, no doubt the best grand touring available out there.
  • street4street4 Member Posts: 2
    the Altimax are awesome.. very quiet, absorb small bumps perfectly and have amazing traction. 225/75x16 just fit and look right on black steel rims.
    Had an ice storm with 1" of ice on the road with rain following. The Forester(without studs) was the only vehicle that could move on our hilly terrain.
  • araymondaraymond Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me an idea of what's usually done at the 90K mile tune-up and also the cost of refurbished rims? That is all for a 2000 Forester. Thanks!
    I was watching an episode of Gearz on Speed and they had a rim refurbished for under $100 IIRC. Just one reference point.
  • TJ162TJ162 Member Posts: 7
    I'm thinking about putting some new geolandars ATs on my 05 forester and I was wondering if anyone knew how many ply the tires were. The size is 215 60R16 with a standard load range. I can't seem to find out how many ply they are. Does anyone know or have a way of finding out?
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Buy the General Altimax R/T, they're great.
    Does anyone know if 215 65R16 tires will fit on a stock forester with mud guards without rubbing? Would I have to recalibrate my speedometer as well?
    By the way its an 05 forester
    Let's see...

I used a 225/60R16 tire on my 1998 Forester, and it never once rubbed. Stock was 215/60R16.

Mine was 10mm wider and 6mm taller.

Yours is same width, but 10.75mm taller.

The closest point for mine was the rear spring base. People told me I'd rub the fender liner at full lock but that never happened. That may be worse on yours, though, because it's almost 11mm taller, right where it could potentially rub.

Do you have a spring compressor? If you can find a way to put one of the front springs at full compression, then turn the wheel and measure how much clearance you have now.
    I don't have a spring compressor, but I was considering a 1 or 2 inch lift kit to solve my problem. That way I could put a taller tire on and gain some clearance for light off-roading.
    You'd still have to watch for clearance to the spring perch. Taller springs would move the tires away from the body, but not the base where the spring sits.

Wheels with a wider offset could fix that, though.
  • noey8noey8 Member Posts: 16
    Tires are 215-65-16 OEM. I'm looking at a possibly fitting in some previous gen OEM or aftermerket steelies in 15" size for winter and I've calculated that a 215/70-15 tire will work. Question is, does anyone know if the 15" wheel can clear the calipers and anything else?
    I am not sure that they can. I have heard mention that the "newer" generations of Subaru vehicles use larger calipers than the older, so 16" wheels are as small as can be mounted. However, if you find out otherwise, please share!
    Not sure either but I'm going to guess no since the brake rotors grew for 09.
  • mike714mike714 Member Posts: 1
    I totaled my 2001 legacy outback, but the P225/60 P16 97T tires with 16 inch rims. I bought a 2001 forester with 96T 205/70 R15 tires (15 inch rims, obviously.) can I change tires and rims from wreak to new car?
    You sure can. The Outback wheels with that tire size have a diameter that is 98.8% of your stock Forester wheels. That means that when you travel 60 mph, your speedometer will register 59.26 mph, and after 36,000 miles your odometer would clock 35,553, neither of which are very significant.

You might verify that the tires do not rub the wheel wells while turning when you first mount them (the Outback tires are 20 mm wider than the Forester tires), but I doubt that will be the case.
    I'm not sure about the offsets and such, so do a test-fit, but you're well within the 3% industry standard for variance.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Laredo:
    I am considering either the Altimax R//T & Altimax HP. The HPs have significantly much better ratings snow & traction and modestly better ratings for wet conditions. Yet the R/Ts appear to have more sipping that than the HP which would suggest that the R/Ts would be better in water & snow.

What has been your experience with the R/Ts in the wet & snow? Thanks!
    My friend has the R/T 's but I went with the Altimax HP 's based on the tirerack ratings. I initially had the same concern about tread design but so far these tires have been great. I have yet to drive them in the snow myself so I can't personally tell you. They handle great and stick to the road when raining so I have no regrets as to my choice so far. I feel confident that I won't have any problems come winter time. I extensively researched tires for my Forester and I think General tires have finally got a great line at very good prices. I hope this helps, good luck.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Ok, guys looking for feedback on this matter

Tuesday I stopped into Mastrial Subaru, after returning from a long trip for regular oil change (21,500 miles) When I left, within 1/2 mile the tire pressure monitor started to blink, then remain on steadily lit.

That evening went to a gas station & found out tire pressures were normal (32 psi I believe for front and 30 psi for rear) As I am leaving on another long trip tomorrow and didn't want to have to look at the irritating light I called the dealer & they said come on in, probably have to reset something.

Well, that's what I did this morning. Want to hear the explanation?? They claim that one of the tires was filled with 72 psi! They have no explanation how that much air got in the tire. Again, when I went there on Tuesday, everything seemed to be normal, right after I left the problem arose.

No explanation how that could have happened. But something happened while I was at the dealer. I certainly did not go to a gas station right after leaving there & put that much air in. I would be scared to to hell to stand next to a tire and put that much air in. Dealer claims no one at their place would have done such a dastardly deed (either on purpose or by accident) I know that outside temperature fluctiations can cause a small jump up or down, but nothing like increasing it by more than 50%.

The more and more I think about it, something had to have happened at the dealer, and unlikely an accident. Had I gone on my next long trip (from Providence, RI to Buffalo, NY tomorrow) and driven all those miles on a tire inflated so high, could anything have happened? This really perturbs me.

I have a great relationship with the service dept at this dealer, and don't want to make false accusations, but they insisted one tire was over 72 psi, and that caused the light to go off.

Any comments????
    I think an inaccurate reading is far more likely.

Heat will increase pressure, but if it made it all the way up to 72psi the tire likely would have suffered severe damage or wear.
    If you checked the pressure, and it was normal in all four tires, I cannot imagine that something like a tire inflated with double pressure would have occurred. I would say a faulty TPM sensor would be a more likely culprit. Any time one of those stops working or is not present, the result is the exact sequence you described: The light blinks for a while shortly after starting the car (probably 30 to 60 seconds later), then remains steadily lit. I have a set of wheels on my '10 Forester with no TMP sensors in them, and this is the result. I am not sure if it behaves the same way when a sensor is reading a condition "out of range," meaning the pressure is either too low or too high.

However, in the event the tire was overinflated so severely, the result depends on several factors: 1. The tire's integrity (number of miles, condition of materials, etc), 2. The road surface, 3. the vehicle's load, and 4. the ambient and road surface temperatures. Basically.... heat + pressure = boom.

This time of year (cooler temps), of more concern may be the amount of vibration being transferred to the struts and wheel assemblies. Over extended periods, that could result in premature wear of parts.
    heat + pressure = boom

I love it when we get all scientific! :D
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I agree with you 100%! It is the dealer who insisted there was 72 psi in one tire. I certainly did put that much in. The problem occured between the time I left the car for service on that afternoon and 1/2 mile after I left is when the light went on.

Could a tire even hold that much psi without blowing? You are probably right the dealer read it wrong. But, you would think, from a dealer, they would be intelligent enough to know whether that is even possible.
    Yes, a tire can hold that much pressure. I know from experience.... ;):blush:
  • msage1msage1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Forester. Does it matter where I have my tires rotated? Is there anything I need to be aware of with the AWD?
    Rotate 'em every 7500 miles or so to keep wear even on all 4 tires. You want to keep the circumference of all the tires right about the same. :shades:
  • emememem Member Posts: 3
    I need 4 tires for my 04 Forester xs;could use some recommendations
    p21560r16 AWD, 25k a year Boston area and need to be mobile in the snow

I got a real good price on 4 Falcon tires??

thanks