Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Oh for you 03 - 05ers with a full spare, you can always pull the spare out and only buy three if you can live with the Geolanders...

I was kicking myself when I realized I could have done it on my old Outback Sport...and the TA's...
  • jpfkkjpfkk Member Posts: 43
    Jeqq,

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. As we all know, everyone has their own threshold as to what they find acceptable. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

I am on my third Forester and have always just kept the stock tires on the car. I drive in some pretty heavy snow in the Catskills (last year we had 23 inches on one day) and have never had a problem with the tires. These are not bad tires at all. I understand that folks want to have snow tires and want more traction. Perfectly reasonable. But, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your tires.

I've had my Geolanders for several years and if you keep them properly inflated and check for wear and tear, you should be fine. That's my view and that works for me. I do understand the need for snow tires though and it is safe to say that folks who live in more harsh climates my have differing views. Depends on where you live, how often roads are plowed, etc. But to answer your question--these tires are not so bad that you need to rush to replace them.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I got 50k out of my first set of Geolanders. They're not "bad" tires. When a manufacturer selects a vehicle's tires, they try to choose the least expensive tire that will satisfy the most potential customers. In the case of the Forester, the Geos are all-weather tires that provide fair mud and snow traction, decent handling characteristics, an acceptable amount of road noise and average tread wear. However, some owners prefer to have a tire that performs better in one or more of these categories so they switch to a different type tire. Be advised though that there's no "perfect" tire. Increased ability in any given category usually results in loss of ability in another area. For example, excellent handling tires normally have faster tread wear due to the use of stickier (and hence softer) rubber compounds.

Bottom line, a few owners switch tires for various reasons but the majority are satisfied with the Geolanders.

-Frank
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I like the Geos... long life, decent handling, good mileage. 4 season.

They are "noisy" compared to some.

I will switch to Falkens next year at about 60k. Reason: The Falkens are better in all categories except wear, and cost $59 each. Go figure. 4 Falkens for less than 3 Geos.

John
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I was delighted with the performance of the geolanders on my 99 OB. Fairly sticky with good mud and dirt traction. However I only got about 50,000 km (say 30,000 miles) from each set.

Funnily enough, I am looking at putting a set of Geolanders on to my Kluger (Highlander to you) when the current set wears out. They look to be about the best compromise for my sort of usage which does include mild off road work.

Cheers

Graham
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Tire choice should be dictated by driving style. Some people are more likely to wear out the Geos by hitting the curves a little bit harder (faster) than others; so the Geos don't meet their expectations. Some are fine with the Geos b/c they don't push the tires to the limits.

My Geos handled our recent winter storm (about 16" of snow) really well; my only complaint is the ABS kicked in a lot under stopping conditions.

Michael
  • driven925driven925 Member Posts: 1
    I can't understand why an earlier post said that Forester wheel bearings (prior to 2003) didn't seem to be that big of a problem. There are many,many posts about this. I replaced a passenger side rear bearing at 34,000 miles and the driver's side rear at 51,000 miles in my 2001 Forester. The first was covered by warranty, but the second was performed when the car was 7 months out of warranty. It cost me $573!! I think SOA should accept responsibility that this was a design flaw and cover all repairs. I also had to replace a radiator at 42,000 miles to the tune of about $700. This occurred even though I was using the required additive when changing the coolant--at least as soon as I received the notice to do so. I was thinking of getting a new Forester before long, but I may have to rethink that. My husband has a 1999 Outback which has been much more reliable. I liked the handling and agility of the Forester better at the time I purchased my car. Now I'm disappointed and broke! :(
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Thanks for all of your replies. I only have 400 miles on my Geos and they feel fine to me, so I'm happy to get some positive feedback on them. Reminds me of the Pirelli 4 seasons on my other AWD car; I find them to be the perfect all season tire while others hate them. One man's garbage is another man's gold.
    How long ago did you replace the 2nd set of wheel bearings? If it hasn't been too long, it wouldn't hurt to ask for Subaru to cover part of the repair. Because they're a known issue, you stand a decent chance of getting some help.

I can't imagine what would cause the radiator to go bad so soon. What did the mechanic say the problem was? Oh FYI, the coolant additive is intended specifically to prevent head gasket leaks so it has no effect on the operation of the radiator.

-Frank
  • heroineheroine Member Posts: 6
    i'm curious about these wheel bearings problems people have been having. is there a sound associated with it?

i have a 2004 forester x, and everytime i do a slow turn of the wheel, say, like turning into a parking space, i hear this griding noise.

i've mentioned it to the subaru service people, but they couldn't replicate it.

could this be a wheel bearing problem?

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.
    daniel.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    My wife's 02 Forestor recently got a flat tire. the flat was rather new (less than 3k on the tire). i replaced it with the same tire and size just a different speed rating. the old one was a T rating and the new one is a H rating. Any big deal having 3 t rated tires and 1 h rated? they are BFG traction t/a's size: 215-60-15. Any help./comments are appreciated.

Regrds,
    Kyle
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    H is higher-rated than T, so you got a slightly superior tire. I think that's fine. If you'd gone the other way, I'd be concerned.
    tires.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    An H rated tire *may* be a bit firmer riding than the T rated tire as well.

-Brian
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Looking at replacing 4 tires on 05 Forester with an 80k tire. Wondering if anyone has any experience with a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring or any other 80k tires. It's my wife's car, not interested in paying extra for high speed ratings. Thanks!
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    The factory Geolander tires on my wife's '04 Forester 2.5X are all showing the exact same wear pattern -- tread depth is good across the width of the tire, but the outside and inside shoulders are badly worn and perfectly matched in wear on each shoulder. I've kept them inflated to about 30 PSI, just a few pounds above the recommended pressure. They have 38,000 Miles on them.

Why are all four tires showing this identical wear? Knowing that the tread is good elsewhere, are they still safe to drive? I hate to spend money on tires, but I want my family safe. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    The factory Geolander tires on my wife's '04 Forester 2.5X are all showing the exact same wear pattern -- tread depth is good across the width of the tire, but the outside and inside shoulders are badly worn and perfectly matched in wear on each shoulder. I've kept them inflated to about 30 PSI, just a few pounds above the recommended pressure. They have 38,000 Miles on them.

Why are all four tires showing this identical wear? Knowing that the tread is good elsewhere, are they still safe to drive? I hate to spend money on tires, but I want my family safe. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

My wife has an 05 and had the exact same treadwear. Those tires are only rated at 320 treadwear (or maybe 360) which equates to only about a 30-35k tire. OEM tires never seem to last much longer than that these days. I just replaced my wifes tires w/ 4 80k tires. Did lots of research and was leaning toward Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring from Wal Mart but ended up getting a great deal from a local guy on Goodyear Assurance ComfortTreds.
    38k miles is plenty for an all-terrain tire like that. I would consider it a full life of use and replace them when you get the chance.

-juice
    But to answer your question, the shoulders are wearing faster because the tires aren't inflated sufficiently for optimal tread wear. Because of the way radial tires are designed, at lower PSI rates, the shoulders carry most of the vehicle's weight. Meanwhile at higher PSI rates, the center of the tread wears faster because it's having to carry the whole load. For the most even (and therefore longest) tread wear, you want to find the PSI where the vehicle’s weight is spread across as much of the tire’s tread as possible.

Now perhaps you’re asking why the recommended TP wouldn’t be the one that maximizes the tire’s life expectancy? Well the answer is because the vehicle’s manufacturer (not just Subaru) chose to sacrifice some tread wear in exchange for improved ride comfort. That’s because generally speaking, the higher the PSI, the stiffer the ride. Now to be fair, there are some handling and safety concerns since an over-inflated tire doesn’t grip the road as well and is more prone to overheating (as is a severely under-inflated tire).

Personally, for tires rated at 44 max PSI, I keep them at 36. This seems to provide for almost even tread wear (and improved gas mileage) while not negatively affecting handling. The trade-off is that I have to put up with a slightly stiffer ride.

-Frank
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Thanks for the tire information everyone. I was kinda thinkin' too that factory OE tires rarely last long, but had never seen my sort of tread wear -- I feel better knowing that it's not uncommon. Looks like I need to start the buying process sometime soon; my wife won't rest otherwise.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Keeping the pressure up helps, but it also may pay to have an alignment. My original Geos (old design) lasted 30K and wore badly on the edges in spite of my keeping the pressures at 33 all around. The replacement Goodrich T/As lasted 42k, also with lots of edge wear. When I replaced them, I had 4 wheel alignment. My current set, Bridgestone Turanza LS/Ts have 53,000 on them and 7/32 of tread left. They will easily surpass their 60k Mile warranty and still have 4/32 tread, which I consider minimum for safety. They have been great in snow and wet weather. The H rated model is a different design and will not last as long.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    Finally replaced my OEM Geolanders at 41.5K miles today. I went with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads, which were the No. 1 choice in Consumer Reports' last full tire comparison. Paid $493 at Evans Tires here in Chula Vista for all 4, including balancing, alignment, enviro-fees, and they threw in a free oil change and some other goodies. I noticed the difference immediately upon leaving their premises - man, these tires are SILENT! It's a completely differnt experience now when driving on the freeway at 74 mph, compared to the road hum I used to get.

Which brings up the issue of knocking/pinging, which has been pretty much constant while going uphills, especially long steady grades, since I got the car. It checks out OK and I'm still running COSTCO 87 in it, so I wonder why I'm getting the knock/ping and if it might be harming the engine.
    New tires should be...even my Nitto tires were, but now they're kinda loud. I hope yours hold up better (though to be fair, mine have lasted 5 years).

-juice
    Finally bit the bullet and oredered a new set of tires. I have a set of Falken Ziex 512s on my Miata and was really happy with them, so I ordered the same tires for my Forester.

I went back to 215/60R16 instead of the slightly wider 225s I have now. The size better matches my full size spare (205/70R15) that I had to use on a trip from the beach, 2 hours away. Got a little worried about the difference in circumference, so I went with the closer match.

They should arrive next week, I got them from vulcantire.com. Ordering on-line saves you a bundle, I got them for $35 less than similar tires at Costco, and that's shipped, plus I don't have to pay tax! Saved me about $160 overall.

Ordered a 2nd set for our Legacy, too, since my wife just got a flat and it's not fixable. Luckily the tires were already old, so no big loss.

-juice
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    I'll be interested to hear how you like those on the Forester, juice.

I just ordered tires online myself, and agonized over getting Falkens or Yoko Avid H4S. It was basically a coin flip, but I went with the Yokos. I'm comfortable with the brand based on my positive experience with the OEM tires, I read/heard good things about tread life, and I like that it's (AFAIK) the only AA/A-rated tire anywhere close to that price point. It was tough to go against CR's recommendation, though!

The new shoes are going on tomorrow. I'll post impressions in a few weeks after they're scuffed up a bit.
    So far, so good, as far as the Falken tires.

We took a road trip to the beach, about 3 hours each way. Two things I noticed that are different than the last set I had:

1. They are not as quiet as the Nittos were when new, but certainly tolerable.

2. Straight line tracking is *MUCH* improved.

I'm not getting the tram-lining that I was with the Miata when it got the same tires (that's when the tires try to follow seams in the road), but boy does it track straight. You point the steering wheel in one direction and it really holds that position, especially if you're going straight.

I'd choose tracking like that over the noise any day so I'm satisfied so far.

-juice
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    I hope you like the Avid's - That's what I replaced my GEO's with and I've been thrilled so far. About 6k on them.

In fairness, I'm not sure they'll be as good in the winter, but I don't have anything but a gut feeling on that one. In my case iit doesn't matter since I run snows from dec 1st to mid march.
    I'm taking the new tires out for their first extended highway/back country miles this weekend, and I probably won't be able to speak to driving characteristics for another 1-2K. anyway. But the two local drives I have taken thus far have been noteworthy for their quietness. I knew the Avids would be an upgrade in that area, but not by *that* much.

I also doubt the Avids will be as good as the Geos were in the snow. My wife is an MD and has to show up for work regardless of what's happening with weather. The Geos got her there through some pretty nasty stuff the last two years, often times with one or more coworkers along for the ride because they were either stuck or not willing to chance it in their cars. I'm hoping where the Avid really shines is with wet handling. I never had any serious problems with the Geos in that respect, but it felt like wet was their Achilles' heel. Still, I would have kept them indefinitely if it weren't for the fact that the shoulders were getting dangerously worn.

In somewhat related news, I'll be at the dealer tomorrow am. The tire place that installed the new Avids called me at work and did the old "Sir, we've got your car on the lift and did you realize you've only got 5% of your brake pads left?" routine. I'm fairly certain they were attempting a fast one, but might as well have the dealer check it out and make the most of that 7 months and 7K I've got left on the warranty.
  • crimsonlizardcrimsonlizard Member Posts: 20
    My 03 Forester X 5 speed is ready for new tires. I was ready to go with the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds - but my local dealer wouldn't put them on because they're not H rated. How important is is that I go with an H-rated tire? I've got a good set of Bridgestones and another Michelin tire - both H-rated - as options as well, but I like what I read about the Goodyears.
  • applejfapplejf Member Posts: 40
    Newbie owner of a new Forester. It has what I assume are the normal Original Equipment Geolander G900's. I'd like to pump these babies up to max safe pressure for getting the best MPG, but the messages on the side of the tire are not clear as to what that pressure is. I've never seen what is on the side of these tires, something like: "Do not exceed 40 psi during seating of the bead" or something like that. Is 40 the max running pressure also?
    It's not that you'll ever go 130mph on public roads, but rather that the H-rated tires have better resistance to heat. If you want, check out the ratings on the sidewall, it'll say something like this:

A A 460

The first A is the traction grade. AA is best, then A, then B. Try to get A or better.

The second letter is the grade for heat resistance. Most H rated tires get an A here. S rated tires usually get a B. The Firestones in the big Explorer controversy were B rated. I'd avoid that, so I have to agree with the tire shop.

The last number is for treadwear, relative to a reference generic tire. Higher numbers mean they last longer. I've seen anywhere from 180 to 500+.

Pressure - Subaru's recommendationos are on the low side, 29/26 on mine for instance, but I use 32 psi all around. You don't want to go any higher than 35psi or so because the ride becomes real stiff.

-juice
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    The GY TT is not H rated in stock 215/60 size, but if you go to 225/60 (or "plus zero") it is H rated. A lot of owners prefer this size anyway as it gives you more options and a wider tread.

Doug
  • crimsonlizardcrimsonlizard Member Posts: 20
    Any downside - in principle or in practice - to going with the 225/60s?
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    The increased surface area may result in an ever-so-slight drop in gas mileage; more or less depending on how performance-oriented the tire is. But that may be the small price you pay for better traction.

Doug
  • rjweissrjweiss Member Posts: 20
    I have just about 50k mile on the Geolanders on my 03 Forester so it's time for new tires. What tires would the dealer supply? my guess is the Geolanders again or do dealers have better choices?

The reason I would go to the dealer is to use up my Subaru Bucks.

Thanks

Ron W.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Different dealers have different stock. Check with them.

I am very happy with the wear I have gotten from the Geolanders, and they like all makers have several different quality/use levels. If you are happy with their performance, replace with the same! :)
  • nnyluhnnyluh Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

At my latest service visit, the dealer said that my treads were down to 5/32nds. The car has 37,500 miles and is mostly driven on the highway at high speed. They suggested replacing my OEM tires with a set of Cooper all-season tires. I live in NY state where we get significant snow.

Do you have any suggestions or are there any things I should look out for?

Thanks,

BKLHFD
    I didn't like the OE Desert Deuelers that came on my Forester. Poor rating all around.

Then I replaced them with the Nitto NT460. Better, and more quiet at first, but as they wore they were noisy. They also leaked air towards the end, but they did last a very long time.

My third set are Falken Ziex 512. I got them on my Miata first, and liked them so much we got them on our Legacy and on our Forester. So we actually own 12 of those tires!

I love them, they track straight, grip like crazy, and the cost is very affordable, only slightly more than cheapie generic tires.

Consumer Reports also rated them a Best Buy, and I can't disagree. Discount Tire carries them, so does VulcanTire.com.

-juice
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Juice is right about the Falken. Other proven performers in the Falken's class are the Dunlop SP5000 and the Bridgestone Traction T/A. I've run both of the latter two and was very happy with them, even in moderate snow.
    My Geos were getting pretty worn on the shoulders at 29K, so I replaced them about 1,500 miles ago with some Yokohama Avid H4s. I can't vouch for how they do in the snow, but in every other respect they have been simply outstanding. The difference in grip and handling is stunning (and I always thought the Geos got a bad rap). They are one of only a small number of tires that get a AA traction rating.

You should be able to get them for $70 apiece. My only beef so far is kind of a weird one -- the center channel is very wide and tends to suck up lots of gravel and road chunks and other detritus. I spend a lot of time digging these out of the treads.
  • mzdallasmzdallas Member Posts: 2
    how about putting 17" tires on a 2007?
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I think the 2007 XT comes with 17 inch wheels and tires.

Len
  • brainlessbozobrainlessbozo Member Posts: 36
    What would going to 225/55/16 do for me, from the 215/60/16 I have now? I have Falken 512s now, and found these to be a HUGE step up from the stock Yokohama Geo 900s that our 2003 XS Forester came with. Now have almost 30K miles on the Falkens, and I have been considering using the same 16" wheels, but 225/55s instead.

Any thoughts about choice (brands) of tires are also welcome.
    Stick with what you have now, if they are so noticeably better than stock, it's going to be hard to get incremental gains beyond that.

-juice
  • brainlessbozobrainlessbozo Member Posts: 36
    Thanks, Juice. I absolutely love our 03 FXS. I think I might just do that. They seem to work well, and heck, the Falkens are cheap!

I was just trying to squeeze some more performance out, and economically so. :) We have almost 50K miles on the car, and a fair share has been city streets. My brakes began squeeling last month, but the sound disappears on hard braking within 2-3 seconds. Seems to come from the rear, but not sure. If I do need a brake job, could I use the larger legacy or outback rotors and pads for the back, so as to reduce the "dive"?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    better check those brakes...the rears go faster. I have 59k now on my '03 XS and the rears are 75% gone.

Note that the brakes are a "system" which includes highly engineered components such as ABS. If you make mods as you mention above, there are other affects than just enhanced rear braking (which may not happen at all, as there are apportioning valves) that come into play.

John
  • growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    The increased surface area may result in an ever-so-slight drop in gas mileage

Actually, you'll get a more accurate gas mileage figure. The standard Geolandars on the FXS are a bit undersized in terms of speedometer calibration. When you use the odometer numbers to calculate your MPG, you get an inflated miles driven figure on the order of 5%. (or put another way - when you see 68mph on the speedo, your true speed is about 65mph).

The good news - you'll put fewer miles on the Subie without even trying ! ;)
  • marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 07 LL Bean Forester. Had an 05 Outback Wagon prior. Question: I have a set of 225/60R16 winter tires mounted on steel wheels that I used on the Outback. Will these wheels and tires fit the Forester? The tires are Winterforce M+S from Tire Rack. I know they would make a very slight speedo diff but I am more concerned about clearance and whether the wheels will fit or not. TIA.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That is what I'd be most concerned with.

-mike
    It should clear, stock size is 215/60R16. So basically these tires are 10mm wider and have a 6mm taller sidewall.

I had 225/60R16 tires on my Forester, and they did not rub. They aren't stock rims or offset, though.

That difference is very tiny, odds are they will fit. I think the offsets are similar. The closest call in terms of rubbing will be the rear spring perch.

-juice
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I am replacing tires with eather bridgestone 009 or BFG Traction TA-H. I read a post on Edmunds saying you should not put uni directional tires on a awd car. Anyone know if this is true I really was leaning toward the Traction Ta.