Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Suburban Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    i think you can pull off the vacuum hose to the regulator and if you see fuel in there, it's bad for sure.
  • glen04glen04 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if this will help but look at the recall Chevy had in October 2005 on the fuel module resorvoir. Certain 2001 models had prbolems with the fuel pump when the gas went below a quarter of a tank. My will cause a fuel stall or no start condition. My wires overheated in a gas station burning a hole in the connector body and I dumped fuel while on vacation in Florida. A nightmare of the 4th of July weekend with Hazmat etc. however, Chevy picked up the tab. I believe this is the problem and you may be able to get Chevy to cover the issue. Good Luck.

Glen04
  • topsteptopstep Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2000 Suburban from a private party. It has a factory stereo with some sort of security code system. Unfortunately, the previous owner had gotten locked out of the stereo and didn't have the code to get it unlocked. So 2 questions:

1. Is there some way to get the code? or to get around this problem?

2. How do you go about unlocking the stereo even if you have the code?

btw, I live in Central America. No GM dealerships nearby...

Thanks.
  • tsf7tsf7 Member Posts: 31
    My Sub is at 98k miles, so I'm preparing to do the big maintenance service soon. Per manual, major points are: plugs, air filter, trans. service, transfercase service. Manual recommends changing coolant at 5 yrs/150k miles or something like that, so I figure I'll do that, too. I am familiar with cars and worked on older cars & jeeps quite a bit in the past, but aside from changing the evap sensor soleniod or whatever it was called, I haven't done anything to this truck except change the oil, which I usually do myself (haven't needed to do anything). I'm considering doing plugs, filter, and coolant myself this weekend to save some money (I won't touch the transmission or transfer case), and looking for guidance. A couple questions before I start:

1) with the rear heater, is there anything different that needs to be done in changing coolant (I assume there is separate heat exhange at the rear of the truck)? Or do I just flush, etc as usual?

2) any tricks to getting those rear spark plugs out? They sure look like they're in tight quarters. We had an old Bonneville w/ 305 engine, had to take the passenger tire off to get at the plug. Any similar tricks on this engine?

Any other tricks or tips appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Unlocking a Radio That Displays LOC When Code is Unknown

IMPORTANT: Starting in 1995, a factory back-up code can be used to erase the original code if it is unknown.

Have account number ready to enter when asked. Account number is your five digit dealer code followed by one of these numbers:

* Chevrolet - 1
    * Pontiac -2
    * Oldsmobile -3
    * Buick -4
    * GMT-5
    * Cadillac -6
    * GM Canada -7
    * Saturn -8

Read all steps before starting the procedure.

If more than 15 seconds elapse between any of the steps, the radio automatically reverts to time and you must start the procedure over from step 1. In order to unlock the Theftlock(TM) system when code is unknown, perform the following steps:

1. Press and hold push buttons 2 and 3 until a three digit code appears on the display.
    2. Write the three digit code on a piece of paper.
    3. Press the AM/FM push button, a three digit code will appear on the display again.
    4. Write the three digit code on a piece of paper.
    5. Call Delco Electronics at 1-800 - 537 - 5140.
    6. Follow the computer prompts to obtain the back-up code to be used in place of unknown code.
    7. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
    8. Press and hold MN until the last two digits agree with the back-up code.
    9. Press and hold HR until the first one or two digits agree with the back-up code.
    10. Press the AM/FM push button after you have confirmed that the code matches the one you wrote down. If REP appears on the display, repeat steps 7 through 10.
    11. The display will show "- - -" to indicate unknown code has been removed.

If the back-up code does not unlock the radio, try reversing the first and last three digits of the display code.
  • 85350x85350x Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 suburban and the rear main seal is leaking. Has anyone done one of these and how difficult is it. does it requre engine removal? thank you
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Don't know for sure, but wouldn't you be able to get to it by dropping the transmission instead?
    Yes you R&R the transmission and either clutch or flexplate depending on transmission.

Book says that for manual transmission it takes a professional mechanic with all the lifts, tools, etc. about 3.6 hours and for the automatic, about 6.5 hours.
  • nelly214nelly214 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Surb, and recently the servce engine light came on, so I took it somewhere to get it checked, and it said that the fuel maybe to rich or lean. Now when I drove it yesterday, the light went off, and it comes back on when fuel is low. Wha do I do?
  • orristerorrister Member Posts: 1
    Dumb question. First time to change blades on this car. Wipers don't pull far away enough from windshield to allow for existing blade to be turned away from the windshield. Tried turning wipers on and off again. What am I missing here?
  • teepoloteepolo Member Posts: 1
    Hello Blackpacific,

I have a 2001 Tahoe that seems to have the same problem. When stopping at slow speeds the ABS turns on and it is annoying. I called Checy and of course my vehicle was not eligible for the recall. My question to you is: Did you try shooting some brake cleaner and blow some compressed air to see if this would fix your problem of did you just go out and purchase the new sensor. Was it the process of elimination that caused you to make your decision OR did you just gather some informaiton and change the sensors? How did you determine it was the wheel hub bearing? Anyhow, did you do any other maintenance while you installed the wheel hub bearing? Thank you for any input. I'll assume that the recall was for the year 1999 to 2001 so it would be pretty much the same process as far as repair.
  • mrburbanmrburban Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 chevy suburban k2500 and I've been having this bucking/ hesitation problem for alittle over a year now, when the vehicle is cold driving there is no bucking or anything but when it starts to get warmer it will buck when I accelerate from a stop. It also tends to buck when I'm on the highway cruising at 55 and even at 70. I'v changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. Intake manifold looks pretty gummed up in there. Could it be that? I'v used injector cleaner and all that too but nothing seems to work. I dont tow anything but I have pulled a couple of cars out of ditches even so I dont think it's the transmission. I can't imagine what it would be so any input or suggestions would be great.
    Intake manifold gasket??
  • drewmagzdrewmagz Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same issue with my 07 suburban.Went through three sets of pads.I just put aftermarket calipers and ceramic pads on.The front and left rotors are still heating up.This has even stumped my brake guy.Exactly where on the support brackets did you file down.Oh Yeah the dealer said the only way to find the problem was to replace all pads,rotors and calipers.I took it in to have it diagnosed and thats what they told me. It bothered my tire and brake guy so much that he reimbursed me the 96 dollars the dealer charged me.But we are still stumped,any detailed explanation on how you did this would be great!!!!!
  • puzzled12puzzled12 Member Posts: 1
    Too late I am sure for you, however, my mother's burb had the same issue (99 2WD). turned out to be the steering control sensor. As I had the vehicle, I had it identified before I returned it to her. At 72 she would have totaled it if it went out on a curve on her. Unfortunately it was a "dealership only" type of repair.
  • vic442vic442 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 Burb and had the Intermediate Steering Shaft lubed at 50K miles with no problems until 100K miles. Dealer will not lube it again...stating it needs to be replaced...how did you get the Dealer to cover the cost out of warranty?
  • madmomov6madmomov6 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Was driving the truck, no problems, then all of a sudden it felt like hit the brake for a second, but I didn't. The truck kept driving, but the sound coming from underneath was like the muffler was dragging and like a belt was broken in the front, but there was nothing wrong that I could see. A guy where I was said it was probably something wrong with the ball by the rear axle and that if someone opened it up right now there would probably be metal shavings all inside there. (sorry, I don't know a whole lot about auto mechanics) After about 6 hours I went to get the car to a mechanic, and when I put the car in reverse, it made a horrible grinding sound and did not go in reverse. The spedometer read I should have been going about 90 but nothing but that noise. So going only forward, I was driving to the mechanic a few miles away, and the grinding noise was only when I had my foot on the gas. When I stopped there was no noise, but it felt like the brakes were giving me trouble then, too, which was not happening in the morning. While in motion, it sounded like a racecar almost. After about 4 miles, after a red light, when I went to go the car did not want to go any more than like 20 mph even though the spedometer was reading 90. Then the car did not want to go anywhere. It was still on, but hitting the gas did nothing. It did not even make noise. No revving, no grinding, no nothing. But if the transmission went, wouldn't there be fluid anywhere? There was none in my driveway in the morning, none where I was parked half the day, and nothing under my car even where it is now. Please help, so that at the mechanic I won't be a total idiot and I won't get taken advantage of because I am a woman. Thank you ever so much.
    edited June 2010
    Transmission is shot, need to get them to tow it in.

You'd only have transmission fluid all over the place, if something punctured the case. You could have gears stripped inside, and no leak.

Shouldn't have been driving it while damaged, you may have made the problem worse, but too late now.

When my '96 went a number of years ago, it was like a $1600 repair IIRC (went to the local AAMCO). They can't quote for certain and give you a valid estimate till they open it up, and see what all is damaged out of the hundreds of parts that are in there. I know in my case, there were 3 internal pieces that got damaged and needed replaced....but this could obviously vary greatly. Labor costs vary widely across the country, but you could easily be in the $1500 - $2500 range as a rough order of magnitude ballpark swag.
  • madmomov6madmomov6 Member Posts: 2
    Had issues with the suburban. ended up having basically a new back end: trans star ring and pinion, starseal kit, star rear wheel bearings and wheel seals, rear brake shoes and hardwear and wheel cylinders, brake fluid, gear oil and rear differential cover gasket. Holy crap. Drive away from the mechanic, and about 20 miles later, the engine starts knocking. After about another 20 miles, the enginge starts sounding like there is a bird hiding under the hood, not necessarily a saueaking sound, but a high pitched thing that is not constant, but doesn't stop really. It did not have any of this problem before the back end blew. So does that have anything to do with what was done in the truck, or is this new, or did the mechanic fix one thing to ruin another? My labor for the above is under warranty, and if any of this new stuff has to do with what he did, I want to take it back and have them fix it. If not, I'm afraid to go back to them because who knows what else they would do. Please help! This poor truck is making me crazy!
  • mlinggamlingga Member Posts: 60
    Just got our '07 Suburban 2wd LT 5.3L back from dealer for fuel pump replacement. Among other unsolicited suggestions, he said we needed to do some kind of "induction system cleaning" involving using "brushes" to clean it. Certainly not something listed in manual. Is this actually important or is this dealer looking to make up for lost sales profits?
  • jonny77jonny77 Member Posts: 6
    hey there. i too had the SAME problem. my 1996 kept postinga P1345 code. If this code comes up when scanned, it means the distributor was either reinstalled incorrectly, or that you need to use a scan tool that read diagnostic trouble codes, and can view live datastream to determine the Camshaft retard. A good friend of mine who is a 30 veterean GM mechanic fixed mine by loosening the distributor cap several times, adjusting each time. The camshaft retard MUST be no furthur away from 0 degress top dead center, to +2 or -2, or this bucking and hesitation WILL occur, and set off your Malfunction Indicator Lamp (mine wasnt coming up because the bulb that illuminates the MIL in the gauge area was burned out. If you have a trusted friend, or a reliable mom-and-pop type garage to go to, get them to use a scan tool with datastream capabilities to read the codes, and to use datastream to see were the camshaft retard is set. IF this is not the case, then the timing chain is worn or stretched, needing replaced. Mine was as simple as adjusting the Distrubutor cap enough to bring it into spec. My GM mechanic told me that 95% of the time, this is the problem. It will act like a fuel problem, and you will smell raw gas that isnt being burnt. But check this. It also may be the gear on the Distributor is worn from a burr on the camshaft, which is also common. But from what you have described, it looks as if your ignition timin/camshaft retard are not in spec. Give it a try. Hope this helps.
    you should also do a coolant compression check to see if the intake is leaking. but I will about guarantee you its the camshaft retard out of spec, or improperly installed distributor. Like i said, have it checked for any diagnostic trouble codes. The P1345 code can also set off misfire codes, catalyst codes, etc. because the fuel isnt being burnt because of the crossfiring due to out of spec Cam retard. This is a common code for GM's with an incorrectly installed distributor. Take it to a reputable trusted shop, and have them scan it, and tell you what codes are coming up. Again, if that P1345 code is present, it is likely causing other fuel/exaust system codes. I just finally got rid of my bucking and missing. All this time it was
    out of spec. My cam retard was -16, meaning it was -14/-16 out of spec. Got it down to -1, and it runs like never before, not setting codes anymore either. Hope this helps.
  • rayce_hdlrayce_hdl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy suburban I bought used about a year ago. I love it, but little things have gone wrong here and there, nothing major. However, recently some of the electrical components have started doing haywire. First, the dome light will not shut off if you have in on the automatic setting (to come on when doors open and shut off when they close). You have to turn them off and on manually, which is a pain. Then, the other day I was driving and it was about 85 degrees out and my [non-permissible content removed] was on fire and I'm like what the hell? I look over and the seat warmers were on full blast. I turned them off thinking I had hit them with my elbow or something. About ten minutes later the same thing happened and I know I didn't touch it. As I was looking at it to figure out what was going on the buttons started lighting up over and over for each level like a carnival game. I wasn't touching anything! I tried pushing the buttons and shutting it off, but it would only work for a minute or so and it would start all over like a ghost was messing with me. After I shut it off and waited awhile it hasn't done it since. Could this all mean something is wrong with the wiring or could it just be a fuse? My cigarette lighter also stopped working one day while I was driving and then a few days later when I went to try it again it worked fine. Please help!
    Start with making sure your battery, alternator, are up to snuff....and the main wiring is making a tight connection with no corrosion on the terminals.

Battery and alternator can be check for free at auto parts superstores, look for one that does load testing.
    start by unhooking both battery terminals for a few hours, then check if problem still persists. check all wiring. check all fuses. check for any open wires. check all bulbs, interior map light bulbs, door bulbs, all interior bulbs. check circuit breaker fuse. check auxilary battery/wiring relay. check intrument panel dimmer switch. check accessory power relay. check all grounds/straps. make sure all these things are in order, all relays plugged in tight, all fuses same. sounds mostly like your accessory power relay or auxilary battery/wiring relay. its unusual that wiring goes bad in suburbans from my years of experience, so check all relays, realy block, fuse block, and and the mentioned relays and all grounds and ground straps, to make sure everything is tight. if you kick around the floorboard alot, you may have barely jerked a wire loose somewhere under the dash, check everything relaly well, its usually something very simple in cases like this....let me know at jonbailey@carolina.rr.com if any of this fixes your problem, if not, then i will get with fellow GM mechanic and ask his advice.....
    do all of this of course if battery wiring is good and grounded, and if alternator wiring is good an grounded, as kaiwah mentioned.
  • spence57spence57 Member Posts: 26
    I had some odd problems with my 2003 Suburban. It turned to be that my inner fender was gone and that let roadsroay get into the comuter area and mess up contacts
  • trishtytrishty Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me where you found the 50 amp fuse...? I know where two of the 3 fuse boxes are......my owner's manual says that there are 3 fuse boxes and sadly, I can only find the two that do not have the seat or right window fuse in them......HELP!!!! Thanks!!
  • workman4_82workman4_82 Member Posts: 6
    Not sure if your still having the problem, but if the wheel and tire are not the cause it could possibly be a warped rotor.
  • spence57spence57 Member Posts: 26
    Perhaps it's a driveshaft or wheelshaft problem or a Universal Joint going bad. Someone ought to jack up the car and run the drive system with and without the wheels to verify whether they add to or cause the problem. As per the other reply make sure the wheels have been switched. It's also possible that more than one wheel causes vibrations.
  • mrburbanmrburban Member Posts: 3
    As for the speedometer and tachometer not working I would say it is probably your whole cluster. I had the same problem but it was only my speedo that didnt work. Replaced that and it worked again. As far as the codes being pulled up I wouldnt have any idea.
  • ron152ron152 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 2007 Chevy Suburban that now has 27,000 miles and the left front wheel bearing is so bad it looks like the wheel is ready to fall off. I had to replace the front brake pads and rotors at 17,000 miles. Warranty wouldn't cover. Dealer said that was normal. I pull a 3000 lb. gross weight trailer once or twice a year for firewood maybe 10 miles max. My brother-in-law has a 2008 Chevy Avalanche with 62,000 miles and he's on his 5th set of brakes and has never towed. I had a 2005 Suburban that got 18 MPG on a trip, the 2007 with 4-cyl. mode only gets 14 MPG on the same trip (what gives?). I keep my Suburban and two other cars in my 3-car garage, never outside. The Suburban is rather rusty underneath, though I asked for undercoating when I bought it new, I was told that it's not necessary due to advanced corrosion resistant materials. The Suburban has never been to the beach or shore. My other vehicles do not show any rust and they've been around much longer. One is a Toyota that has 140,000 miles on it and all I ever did to it was tires, brake pads @ 35,000 mile intervals, oil changes and one set of wiper blades. Is GM putting out some real crap or what? I've been buying GM cars all my long life (I'm 63) but I don't believe I would ever buy another GM product. Does anyone else out there have these sorts of problems with their Suburban/Avalanche?
    If the rotor and pads were normal braking, and NOT associated with the bearing, then that would be normal wear and tear as all mfg's view it. I haven't wore thru pads yet, but most of my driving is highway driving.

As an owner of a 2007 Sub as well, your bearing statement concerns me, as well as it should you. If the bearing fails, you'll have a catastrophic failure with the possibility if driving causing a major accident. I would expect that you'd also have horrendous tire wear.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a wheel bearing problem, that should be covered under warranty, that's not a wear and tear item. Your highway mileage could be greatly effected by a wheel bearing/alignment issue. I get around 19 on the highway, much better than my 97 Sub, or even my smaller Ford SUV.
  • 04burb04burb Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Suburban that we use to tow a 30' travel trailer. A few months ago the brake control for the travel trailer stopped working. We replaced it with a new one, and then took the Suburban with trailer on a 1,000+ road trip. During the trip we discovered that the trailer cord that plugs into the back of the car had been dragging the ground, exposing the wires inside. We taped up the cord. A few weeks later the "service ride control" warning came on. A few weeks after that the "service stability" warning came on, and the ABS and stability lights illuminated. We took the car to a local shop that diagnosed it with a bad ABS control module. They said they could not diagnose the other problems until the module is replaced. This weekend we took the trailer out. When we plugged in the trailer cord to the car, the brake control installed on the dash began to smoke.

My question is are all of these problems related, or am I dealing with multiple, individual issues? Could the exposed trailer wires done something to the electrical system? Is it prudent to have the ABS module replaced and then go from there?
    You should have had the dragging cable professionally repaired. They would have to carefully solder a repair and re-insulate each wire so that it is electrically insulated, and then once each of the wires was done, re-wrap the bundle. I suspect that a couple of those wires are shorting.

Depending how the short is actually being made, it could be providing voltage where there shouldn't be on a wire, or drawing too much current.

You need to treat these as individual issues, to fix each one. The trailer plug/cord can be rewired and then checked out to ensure no shorts, and all circuits working correctly for an external power source.

Disconnect the trailer brake unit so you are back to the OEM ABS unit only, and get that fixed. Now your tow vehicle is back to original specs.

Because your trailer brake unit was smoking, I would assume it's blown, and personally would just go get another new one. Add that into the vehicle, and then connect the trailer back together.
    My Suburban is using water. I probably have to put in 2 gallons every fill up, and have to constantly keep on top of it.

I have had the radiator replaced with a brand new one. And I never see any water puddles under the engine except a pretty sizable one that always forms under the AC compressor (hot, humid climate here) A couple of mechanics have checked it for engine problems (head gasket) and haven't found anything. (engine running smooth, etc)

Any ideas what to check?
    edited October 2010
    It's either leaking out, or leaking in. That's a lot of water to have to fill up. Since you're not seeing it leaking out, I would suspect a head gasket problem, sucking coolant in, converting it to steam, and sending it out the exhaust pipe.

Guess you could try replacing the water pump and hoses, last ditch chance before tearing into the engine. But also verify that your heater cores are not leaking.
    Never run the heater (and I'm not sure it even works) as this is a tropical climate. So how do you check to see if the heater cores are leaking?
    look for damp carpet in the footwell of front passenger, damp carpet in right rear 'way back', or leaking underneath the vehicle behind right rear wheel.
  • james198james198 Member Posts: 6
    I had my intake gasket changed since then my check engine light came on and I checked it the code is p1345 camshaft to crankshaft correlation fault, what's this mean? Idk what happened or what's going on with it
    edited November 2010
    DTC P1345 Crankshaft Position (CKP)-Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Circuit Description This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) monitors the crankshaft position (CKP) and the camshaft position (CMP) signals to determine if they are synchronized. If both signals are not observed by the control module within a narrow time window, the vehicle control module (VCM) will determine that an error has occurred. Conditions for Running the DTC The engine is running Conditions for Setting the DTC When the engine is running, the cam sensor reference pulse is not detected at the correct position relative to the crankshaft position sensor pulse. Action Taken When the DTC Sets The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) the first time the diagnostic runs and fails. The control module will set the DTC and records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores the failure information in the scan tools Freeze Frame/Failure Records. Conditions for Clearing the MIL or DTC The control module turns OFF the MIL after 3 consecutive drive trips when the test has run and passed. A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles. A warm-up cycle occurs when the coolant temperature has risen 22°C (40°F) from the startup coolant temperature and the engine coolant reaches a temperature that is more than 70°C (158°F) during the same ignition cycle. Use a scan tool in order to clear the DTCs. Diagnostic Aids Check the following items: A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly Incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advance or retard positions A loose distributor rotor on the distributor shaft A loose or missing distributor hold down bolt An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions: A poor connection Rubbed through wire insulation A broken wire inside the insulation

VISITING HOST
    So what can I do to fix this then? I tried clearing it it comes right back on in 2 seconds
    edited November 2010
    Well you have to check the various items listed in the last 5 lines of the description I posted.

If the light keeps coming back on that means the problem is still there.
    Well one plug wire on the distributor wasn't even connected but the light still comes on. Ill just have to take it in I guess. Runs better now anyways
    Did you clear the code after you stuck the wire on? I presume so. You might check all the appropriate connectors for corrosion or looseness.
    Yeah I did, haven't checked for corrosion yet its to cold right now to keep going at it. I just hope nothing gets wrecked is all I'm worried about
    My brother inlaw has a 99 suburban and the gas gauge flickers reall fast constantly when he turns the key on and while its running, any idea on what that might be from?
    Bad gauge, or bad sender unit, is where I would start investigating.

Do a search on bad gauges, you'll find a number of posts, and companies that rebuild them for you. Video's on how to disassemble and mail off the part for repair.

But make sure that is indeed the problem, before sending off for a new gauge.
    Alright I will try that. Thanks!
  • dick46dick46 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what the problem was for your flashing courtesy lights?