Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Comments

• veloraidveloraid Member Posts: 5
    How I regret not renting one before buying! I'm sure I would not have bought either for the same reason. After one year (way too long) I'm trading it in for a 98 Honda. With the mileage I do and having had a Honda before I figure I'll save $2000-$2500 a year in gas! :lemon:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I believe the majority of the Aveo's get close to what your Echo gets on the highway give or take 3 mpg or so. You can step up to the larger Cobalt or Corolla and get mid-30 mpg as well highway. The Cobalt city mileage is 25-27 mpg.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    The very best mileage I ever got on my 05 Aveo Hatchback LT (running synthetic oil) was between 31-32 MPG highway. I have read posts where others got much better, but I have no idea how they did it under normal driving conditions...
  • timsehtimseh Member Posts: 24
    Just got back from a weekend trip from Cleveland to Dayton. All Highway miles on the way down (with a quick jog up to Springrield to drop off the kid for a college visit). Got 37 MPG going there. Quite a bit of around town driving on Saturday and the trip back came out to 32 MPG. I know the city driving brought it down quite a bit and it's uphill all the way home (probably downhill going there boosted the first tank a bit. All in all a 34.5 MPG average for the entire trip. I'm not a crazy driver, but don't drive like my 90 year old grandmother either.

I know others have had issues with mileage, but I'm pretty happy with this.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I just fill up my car tonight and I had drove 216 miles and it took 6.51 gallons to fill it up. :surprise: That was driving around Dallas and Plano, Tx. and back and forth to work...not bad.

I am about to take a trip up to Eureka Springs, Ar. so I will give my mileage on that trip when I get back. :)
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    Hi All,

37000 mile average is at 39.4 mpg. 85% highway 15% city driving. Best tank 45.2 mpg / worst tank 32 mpg.

Ron
    Well I am back from my Family trip to Arkansas.....whew. Anywho....here are my postings for fuel consumption and and speed.

First leg....Segoville Tx to Hot Springs Village,Ar....268 miles- 6.7 gallons....39.8mpg
    Average speed between 60-65 behind a big truck most of the way....

Second leg Hot Spings Village to Eureka Spings ..plus a extra day of site seeing in the mountains...this was all mountain driving an site seeing in mountainous areas..
    :) 326 miles- 10.3 gallons.... 31.65 mpg....

Third leg of trip mostly mountainous driving and site seeing....311 miles- 8.71 gallons
    35.70 mpg. (luggage was out of the car).

Fourth leg heading home from Eureka Springs Ar. down 540 to Fort Smith and on to Broken Bow Oklahoma. Mostly speed in excess of 80mph....(my mother drove) with four people in car and a trunk full of luggage. 269 miles- 8.67 gallons 31.6 mpg

Last leg From Broken Bow, Ok. to Seven Points Tx. ...speed of 70-85 mph....(my mother drove the higher speeds) 231.7 miles- 7.11 gallons.....32.58 mpg..

Remember this was with four adults in the car......a trunk full of luggage and a wheel chair. Lots of mountainous driving.....
    Great MPG!

Sure beats the heck out of what I got on the 05 Aveo that I had. Sounds like yours is a "keeper"!
  • hammillhammill Member Posts: 10
    :) To bad u cant get an aveo hybrid for $15,000! That would sure help your city milage issues. I have a 2006 sedan 5 speed with 31,000+ on it. 85% highway driving and 32-36 mpg! very happy! warming up here now in MN. Milage going up with last tank at 36!
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    i've got the '06 aveo5 hatchback manual and it's averaging between 32-35 mpg on the highway and upper 20s around town. i had a really low spurt of 30 mpg on my last tank thanks to insane highway rush hour traffic but i'm quite pleased with the mileage after 45K miles and 2 years owning the car.
    Yes I had just filled up the thank after about ll days of driving and I went 328.8 miles and it took....9.94 gallons to fill up on this tank....mostly just scooting around Plano and on quick trip to my mom's. ( in east texas). :)
    Did the drive to my mom's and back......went 160.2 miles and filled up the tank ....took 4.201 gallons....thats all I could get in the tank....
    Just drove from Cleveland to Fort Campbell (KY / TN border). 552 Miles averaged 36 MPG. Averaged 65 MPH in Ohio, 70 to 75 in KY.
    sounds good....I was averaging about 65 mph..... :)
  • pluginhybridpluginhybrid Member Posts: 2
    I really don't get these big automakers. They do everything backwords. First they build pure electric vehicles with their EV1, Rav4 EV and so on and so forth. Then they stop building them because the auto dealers say knowone wants a pure electric vehicle. This all about ten years ago. Toyota starts building the Prius Hybrid, but doesn't give you the choice to Plug it in(bad move Toyota), now ten years later(first Prius sold in 1997, it's now 2008) Toyota is working(supposedly very hard too) on releasing a Plug-In Gas Electric Hybrid That will some day also give you the choice of not only choosing when you get to use electric only propulsion, but also the choice of What fuel you put in it(ie flex fuel), including the choice of filling up with natural gas(if pumped from your home with the "Phill" Station, CNG only cost you less than $1.oo Dollar per gallon). So why didn't all the automakers figure this out ten years ago and make a flex fuel, plug in Hybrid then? makes me sick and dizzy. All these damn fumes I breathe everyday in LA, Yuck. CNG, Good enough for buses, and to cook in your home with and heat your water heater, but run your car on the stuff, oh no not that, that's just too easy. We're going to sell you Hydrogen in thirty years, yeah, keep your eye on that and hold your breath till your blue in the face, or demand the car you want/need today! Now there's an idea. Yeah, tell car dealers what you Want!. Two million New cars are sold every year in California Alone. That's a lot of cars. if everyone, or even half those people said, I'm waiting until you build the car I want, a Plug in Hybrid, flex fuel vehicle. Note: for those of you who think electricity production is dirtier than gasoline. theres the study(actually several reports written on this one), even if 100% of your electricity(to power your electric car) came from a coal(the dirtiest of dirty), your electric car would still be creating one half the pollution compared to the Gas Only Car. and remember, every gallon of gasoline burned, creates 19Pounds of co2. You'll need to know some chemistry to figure that one out, but it's been figured many times and always the same result. 19 Pounds per gallon of CO2(humanly unbreathable Poison for the lungs). So, how about the Chevy Aveo Plug-In Hybrid Flex Fuel Vehicle with CNG capabilities? :blush:
    There are other ways to produce electricity that are not mentioned when people/studies like to throw the polution factor into making electricity. Wind and water powered turbines are probably the most economical and the solar is getting better ever year. I recently saw on TV of a town that produces its own electricity by wind and sells back what it can't use. I think it was in Iowa? and they had those large wind towers on farmers land. The farmers didn't mind sharing their property and got additional money for doing so. Totally self sufficient community.

The EV1 (Impact) car was ahead of its time and a great design. They leased everyone of them but the demise was and still is a big contraversy. There is conspiracy theories behind GM pulling the plug that sound pretty credible. Yes the car cost a lot to produce but what new model/technology doesn't. One theory says they were forced to give up the car by big oil companies. Who knows but I wouldn't doubt something more than cost influenced its end. What a waste of resources and what could have been.
    A friend and I drove up to the north side of Lake Texoma and back today. The trip was 194 miles including the sight seeing part and I filled up the car when I got back and it took 5.09 gallons. :P
    Did nothing but in town driving for a little over two weeks and went 285.3 miles and it took exactly 10.00 gallons to fill up......28.5 mpg. :) Last fillup was may 26.
  • aveoctbaveoctb Member Posts: 5
    1152 mile trip from Harrisburg PA to the Outer Banks of NC and back:

37.9 mpg on the trip down, nearly all highway at 55-75

36.2 mpg after driving on the Outer Banks

35.2 mpg overall mileage which included about 50 miles of heavy stop and go driving at different points between Richmond, VA, and Alexandria, VA, and an accidental detour through downtown Norfolk, VA and Virginia Beach.

Car definitely gets its best mileage around 70-75.

Should also note that I have an SES related to a throttle position problem which induced a lot of unwanted "feathering" like I was removing my foot from the pedal and then applying pressure again. It also triggered limp mode five times (three of which were on the outer loop around D.C., which was lovely...) and I had to pull over and restart the car to clear it. This almost certainly harmed my mileage, but by how much, I couldn't tell.
    Glad to see you are getting such good mileage.

It puzzles me, however, that you claim the best mileage at 70-75 MPH.

That defies all currently known science about fuel comsumption as it relates to engine rpm, wind resistance, etc.

Again, glad you are happy with it...
    Some cars because of gearing get better mileage at faster speeds. I am not sure about the Aveo, but I have read this about other cars/trucks on other forums as well.
    Hey, Poncho!

This week, I saw one of the convertible Geo's we spoke about earlier. It was a red LSi, but it had been "rode hard and put up wet", so to speak. Even at that, it still appeared to be running just fine...
    I remember years ago when I was at the Chicago Auto Show they had a concept Yugo convertible. I already disliked Yugo's but this thing was ugly and they had it on a revolving platform with a spokes women. I told her it was a joke and would never sell and she was like who asked you type of look. They are there to get opinions and I gave mine. I like to give these temporary spokes people a hard time with technical questions that they usually can't answer.
    WOW! A Yugo convertible!

I wonder if the top was made out of cardboard, like the bumpers were?

Although, that car would definitely be a collector's item today....but by who, I don't know...
    Made the biweekly trip out to visit family in East Texas.....(I live in Plano Tx.) and filled up when I got back...36.25 mpg..not bad.
    ron1970-

I also have a 06 sedan svm 5 speed and now have 41,600 miles on it and my mileage gets better all the time i'm getting 37.5 consistantly and hit 38.1 today. drops a little in the winter time but very pleased. :shades:
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    I'm glad to hear it. I'm at almost 50K miles and my average is just over 40. A couple of things I've found to bump the winter mileage issues. I bought a K&N Filter and Bosch Double Platinum Plugs. My winter average bumped by 1.2 mpg average. It has already payed for the 2.

Ron
    Took a road trip over the weekend and got 38.19 MPG going through nearly a full tank. (9 gallons 343.7 miles)

I have just over 10,000 miles on the car now and couldn't be happier.
  • ronwagnronwagn Member Posts: 2
    No mileage yet, but got a price of $9,250 for a new LS with auto and air. Figure my cost with gasoline will beat 99% of hybrids over the years.
    Not bad. Hybrids are overrated.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    2008 Aveo standard with crank windows with 10,000 on it, I had to rent it while my 08 Accord was in the body shop. What a relief to get it back. I have to say though it has some pep when taking off but after that, I felt like I was sitting on a high chair, with the seat all the way back, my leg stayed angled while driving, I needed another 6 inches and I'm only 5'10'', you hit a stone in the road and you could feel it in the wheel. However the real issue was the gas mileage horrible in the city no lie I got 18mpg with it and it's a small car, my Accord isn't a whole lot better but I get 20mpg. I think the new Malibu V6 gets better mileage than this car.
  • LtpinesLtpines Member Posts: 3
    In 1987, while I was working at the Post Office in Manhattan (NYC), I walked over to the Javits Center to see the auto show and spotted the Ford display. One of their execs was there (not a model/spokesperson) and I questioned him about their 1975 Mustang 2.

I'd owned one straight out of the showroom (6 miles on the ODO) and immediately after driving off the lot I began to get sick but the salespeople simply told me that was normal during the break-in period and the mechanics said "We couldn't find any problems. It's all in your head".

I developed a permanent respiratory illness and spent thousands of dollars on medical exams/treatments/medications to relieve my illness. Blowing my nose brought out black soot and I always smell a rotten-egg odor and fell asleep at the wheel - even on SHORT drives!

After I stopped driving it (put up on blocks) and drove some cheap used cars I no longer fell asleep at the wheel or smelled rotten eggs - except when driving behind other new cars.

Spent a few months on active duty in the Air Force at Lackland (afsc 30650) and returned to my new ANG unit and HAD to put the Stang back on the road. The exhaust system was rotted out and had to be replaced but the local Ford dealers said they couldn't find 'stock' systems and a custom system would cost a fortune. They (strongly) 'advised' me to junk the car or trade it in.

Because I didn't have a job yet I couldn't afford a custom system - due to employment discrimination against military members (guard/reserve) I was denied employment because "You might get 'called-up'".

Took it to a Mieneke dealer 15 miles away and HE said he could find a stock system. Installed it a few weeks later and then asked me into the bay to check it out. Said the system was an OEM one but that I MIGHT experience some health problems if it wasn't modified. The symptoms he mentioned were the same ones I'd been suffering all the years I drove that car.

He said the tailpipes weren't long enough - coming short of the rear bumper by 6" and that, due to the aerodynamics, the exhaust gases would accumulate under the car when moving - but not when stationary. Then these gases might leak-in through the heater/air vents and windows regardless of any body holes (rust). The Mieneke dealer cut the curved down-pipes off and welded some 8" pieces on - taking them out beyond the rear bumper and I NEVER had another incident or experience like I'd suffered through since the day I drove it off the Ford lot!

Turned-out Lee Ioccoca (president of Ford in 1974) had known about this problem and had pulled production of this model 4 months into the production year - but he never told the Govt as the NHTSA had no record of exhaust system flaws and wouldn't accept any complaints from customers because "our researchers hadn't verfied this flaw" (ie: customers who complain may merely be bad-mouthing the manufacturer).

Well, I asked the auto-show Ford exec about the Ford Mustang 2 w/V6 engine and dual exhuast and he claimed "We never manufactured any such car" (even though that car can be found in various repair manuals).

The name of the game at auto-shows as in Washington is 'maintain a good image - perception is everything - reality be damned'. Ford can bite the big one as far as I'm concerned and Ioccoca (and his merry band of [non-permissible content removed]) can rot in hell for attempting to do to their customers what Eichman did to the Jews.
    Try driving a Honda Fit around a little bit and you will see how other sub-compacts are.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Is it worse or the same.
  • sun44sun44 Member Posts: 18
    it's about the same in town. Nothing's changed. In this heavy traffic you have to gun the car sometime to get out of the way of ppl or you're going to get ran over. I am also having problems with the keyless lock on my trunk. Nine times out of 10 I have to open it with the key. They've changed the horse power a little in the 2008, but I don't think they're ever going to get the gas mileage that they say they do on the sticker. That's government issued. Not reality. If you guys are getting good gas mileage in town, that's GREAT, but I'm not..
  • sun44sun44 Member Posts: 18
    Really not a whole lot more to say about it
  • MudfrogMudfrog Member Posts: 2
    I researched and test drove the basic entry models of almost all the name brand companies out there (fit, rio, yaris, versa). Ended up getting the Aveo5 in June 08, mainly because of price, and am hoping that was a good decision. It has been so far and i have found that i don't mind driving it anywhere and almost everwhere. I had read how sluggish they were, especially on the highway, but i don't feel that power to the wheels is a problem at all (this is an econobox afterall). Getting up to speed and cruising 70 mph is easy and the noise level in the cabin is quieter than alot of other more expensive models.

Anyways, the sticker's fuel mileage ratings were low (imo) for such a small car but i weighed this in with it's other qualities and went ahead and bought a 2008 model. To my relief, this car does deliver what's stated on the sticker and more. Both city and highway always get better than it's ratings. Haven't gotten those high numbers that some of you have claimed but i do average a combined city/highway mpg of around 32!

Lowest city with 4 adults = 24.1 mpg
    Highest mostly highway with 2 adults = 35.8 mpg

A little over 6000 miles on the odometer now, automatic, running 32 psi in the tires.
  • alsehendoalsehendo Member Posts: 4
    35-39 highway
    65-70 mph
    mobile 1 synthetic oil
    5 speed hatchback no AC
    One adult one child.
    Don't drive much in town.
  • nav7090nav7090 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new Aveo. Where did you get yours for $9200?
    (You're right, your overall costs with a $9.2K purchase price will probably beat 100% of the hybrids which are all over priced.)
    do you run synthetic or have different filters in your car? i do and run a k&n air filter. looking for other mileage tricks!! any help ? get 32-38 now just lookin for max performance!!
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    just filled up today. 80% highway/20 city. I got 35.78 mpg. I think that is very good. I've got 29k miles on my 07 (this was the wifes' aveo, family grew, I got her an 08 equinox) we love both vehicles. (for different reasons)
  • norm116norm116 Member Posts: 8
    HELP..I got one of the 2009 Aveo5’s that gives only 18-22 mpg on average. Highway 24 mpg is a mechanical problem in my book for an Aveo. Chevrolet Customer service says my local garage has the technical ability to take care of it. My local garage seems to think I ride the brake, etc. It’s my fault. The computer says all is OK, according to them. A faulty part, wrong computer or program of something has to be wrong, but what. ?????

:
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    I have an 09 AVEO5 with A/T an measure 32.75MPG combined town/country in the hills of Virginia. No hwy/interstate driving.
    Once I got 27mpg on a tank and decided it was bad gas. If you always use a discount gas, you might try a couple tanks of BP.
    Some simple checks:
    Check your oil - is it dirty. If so, change it and the filter and try Mobile 1 (Make sure you use the proper weight oil (5W-30 I think.
    If you drive dirt roads - change the air filter.
    Check your brake fluid - might be some trapped pressure that is causing your brakes to drag.
    Feel the front wheels right after driving it - are they hot?
    Is there grime on the front wheels (signs of excessive brake drag).
    Lift up on the break peddle while driving on a level road and see if you feel the car gliding along any better.
    The garage may be right about brake drag being your issue, but it might not be caused by a heavy brake foot. You'll have their opinion, now you need to figure it out yourself.
    Hope this helps.
    Good suggestions, but have tried all of them. I had the garage check for emergency and wheel brake drag. Tried different gas stations, with and without ethel, etc. Reading the previous entries I have come to the conclusion that there is a small percentage that have the low mpg problem and GM hasn't addressed it. Take a look at #1 of 6 My 09 Aveo Nightmare.. Poor guy, I hope mine doesn't turn out that way..
  • sandyriversandyriver Member Posts: 16
    My 06 Pontiac Wave (automatic) gives 15 kms per litre on the freeway. (roughly 35.5 mpg). 65-75 miles speed.

For mixed City-highway driving, I consistently get 11.5 kms per litre. (27 MPG). This is with thrifty use of the airconditioner. I use the heater almost all the time in the winter. I know that the mileage will fall when I do.

- sandyr.
  • MudfrogMudfrog Member Posts: 2
    Of course it's no surprise that running the AC causes our mpg to drop. But i have found that on these little cars, it drops more than expected. You can really feel it when the compressor kicks in and with it running most of the time during the summer months, we get around from 2 to 4 less mpg. Overall though, even with the AC running, i still get the advertised mpg!
    My 09 Aveo5 is Auto with Alum. wheels. Is it possible that my poor gas mileage could be do to larger dia. mounted tires giveing an adometer miss calculation. I read on an earlier posting that a TSB said odometer might be off 7 to 9%. Might the basic models have smaller diameter wheels and the computer is not set to compinsate. Is such info. out on 09's. This weekend I am going to check against the ionterstate mile posts. Norm
  • sandyriversandyriver Member Posts: 16
    If they are factory wheels, it's unlikely that the odometer is wrong. I can't beleive the carmakers will expose themselves to lawsuits that way. If you added aftermarket alum wheels, the theory sounds plausible.

- sandy.
  • roddman69roddman69 Member Posts: 1
    Joining for first time
    I bought for 9200 also. That was in 07. I actually saw in the paper when the Eco was it's worst, a local dealer selling new for 7000.
    I have a 5 speed, and like it alot. Notice I didn't say love it? The gas mileage is great? Abt 32 or a little better under 55 mph. On the highway, not so good. 65-70 abt 25 or little better.
    The plus: Great gas mileage
    Flop down rear seats(you can fit a lot of stuff in through the trunk
    Quick and responsive little motor (1.6)
    Can carry 4 fine, 5 if you have to, but it can be done.

The minus: This car should not, and I repeat NOT be driven on the Highway
    in the winter. NO,NO,NO. Do not.
    The chassis is a poor design in relation to the front drive wheel.
    The chassis is stiff, (the short length of car) and cannot respond
    to the powerfull front wheel torque, and that makes the tire
    want to spin in response to the engine.
    At highway speeds this is a disaster waiting to come about.
    The first sign of no traction (ICE) and you have the spinning
    event of your life.
    Big, and not so big trucks when they pass have a tendency to want
    to draw your vehicle into them. (talk about white knuckles-oh yeah!)

Thank you for your listen. It is overall still a good little car.
  • marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    gotta agree with sandyriver...if the wheels are factory then the odometer is probably right. use a tire size calculator if you want to test different sizes to see how your odometer could be affected (bottom part of that page)