Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Share your MPG with other Aveo owners here.

Comments

• bolton323bolton323 Member Posts: 6
    I bought the '05 Aveo 4 door LS and my first tank of gas produced a 22.6 mpg. That was a 50/50 mix of city and highway with a careful foot on the pedal.

Some indicate that the mpg's go up after the initial break-in period. I've seen the mpg's reported in the mid-high 30's and I'm not even close to that.

Any tips?
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Your mileage should go up after the break-in period mine is around 27-29 city and about 37-40 highway. It is down a because of the heat here and running the air all the time.
    I sure hope it increases. I was wondering if maybe the computer is calibrating everything and needs the first 1-2K miles to set up for efficiency.

..did yours start out this low?
    my lowest mpg was like 27.1 I believe but I bought my car in march and it was cold and I drove it softly for the first 1000miles so it could break in first. Now in June and July I run the air constantly and was getting a little manic in my driving...and was down to 26-28 around town. Now I have pulled back my driving style and drove to Sherman,Tx from Dallas and got about 40.1 on an old Hi-way and with out the air (we had a brief cold front that Saturday, highs in the mid 80,s) so it was better. If I drive 70-75 I get about 34-36 mpg. still not bad. My best mileage has been about 41.2.
  • byarsbyars Member Posts: 3
    my automatic 2005 aveo ls getting very poor mileage for intown driving 20mpg. i bought used with 7k miles on it and probably driven 1k since then. one out of town 80 mile trip looked like about 33mpg but town driving is shameful! of course this is with a lot of a/c driving but still-----------!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Recommended tire pressures should be marked on a tag that is inside the driver's door jamb, or possibly on the inside of the door itself.
  • blendengblendeng Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Backy... But I did check those areas and could not find it. The only thing that I found was in the owners manuals which states to look at the tire and that will give you the maximum psi. The maximum psi is 44, I thought that was kind of high and should be in the 30's.....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You may have another problem. If sticker or plate with the tire inflation numbers is not there, the car may have been repainted... after an accident. Hopefully that is not the case. Maybe that info is posted someplace else on the Aveo. Another place to check is inside the glove box lid.
    It's 30 PSI for all four tires...
  • rollerskaterollerskate Member Posts: 2
    When could I expect to get good gas mileage from my 2005 Aveo Hatchback ? My first tank full got approx 20 MPG.
    I have heard that the new car needs to be broken in. I purchased it on 1/2/2006 new.
    It is automatic/AC.

I have not really had any freeway driving and most the driving is in the city.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    :surprise:
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    With the automatic or manual city driving is going to vary a lot based on how long hte trips are, how long it takes, and how many stops are along the way. The penalty is worse with the automatic, but in most urban environments you can expect around 80% of the EPA rated city MPG. FYI the EPA gives good information of how they test to arrive at a given economy rating for both city and highway driving.

It will take around 5000-7000 miles and at least one oil change to start to see the MPG get to its best level.

Unless you can provide full details of your city driving habits, then there is little information to base a comparison.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Regardless of your city driving habits you should still get at least 25 mpg in the city with an automatic.

There has been some Aveo's with incorrect computer programming and terrible mileage as a result. If this is the case with your car the dealer should be able to recalibrate it. There was some past posts regarding this issue and how it greatly improves mileage.

You may want to search a site like google.com to try and find more information on this.
  • smlcarguysmlcarguy Member Posts: 25
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this particular group but not to the board.

I'm from Canada and just bought a 2006 Suzuki Swift+ 5 door hatchback, 5 speed, no a/c, which is EXACTLY the same as Canada's Chevy Aveo and Pontiac Wave and whatever the Daewoo is called??? I think they are all Daewoos right and just rebadged as Chev, Pontiac or Suzuki???

In Canada at least the 2006 Chev Aveo or Pontiac Wave does not have side airbags, CD etc that this Suzuki has so this is a better deal from that point of view.

My only disappointment has been the gas mileage. My first tank only returned about 32 mpg overall. In Canada its rated at 31 mpg city and 46 mpg hwy. Remember too that a Cdn gallon is 20% larger than a USA gallon so my average is only about 26.5 mpg in USA gallons. To make matters worse the split was roughly 2/3 hwy minimum and 1/3 city miles. Has anyone else got this poor mileage and do you think it will improve once broken in???

On the hwy i mostly average around 60 to 65 mph and in the city although i am usually an aggressive driver, i have 90-95% of the time been really babying it, starting off extremely slow and shifting around 2500rpm and not flooring it at all or going very fast. There has been some stop and go but overall not a lot.

Based on Canada's "EPA" ratings i would have expected combined to be about 40 mpg minimum considering majority of miles were highway at relatively normal speeds. At 100 kilometers per hour or about 62 1/2 mph it revs about 2750 rpm and at 110 KPH or 69 mph it revs about 3000 rpm.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    You'll almost surely get better mileage after it's broken in. What that will be is anybody's guess. Fuel mileage seems to run all over the place from high teens to 40 MPG (all figures in US gallons).

I had hoped for better, considering the light weight and small engine. It should average 35+ with moderate driving and most people don't do that well. I just finished entering all my gas receipts into a computer program for maintaining auto expenses -- at 53K miles, my average with 80% highway and 20% gentle driving on secondary roads is 32.03. That's exactly what I got with a heavier, larger car with 138 HP vs. the Aveo's 103 HP.
    I have read a couple of times on the forum that some Aveo's (2005 models as far as I know) with bad mileage needed the computer to be reprogrammed. There was some kind of notice given to dealers about this but I am not sure if it includes 2006 models.
  • smlcarguysmlcarguy Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the info. Actually i've never kept a log before but you have inspired me to do the same. What better time than with a brand new car and if there is a serious gas mileage problem i will have receipts and data to back up my claim.

Actually aside from current poor mileage i do love the car and the roominess for its size and my local Suzuki dealer has been great. I am optimistic mileage will improve.

Reassuring to know also if i head off on a long trip and no Suzuki dealer near by i can get service at any GM Chev or Pontiac dealer also.

Again, thanks for the "inspiration". :)
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    My only disappointment has been the gas mileage. My first tank only returned about 32 mpg overall. In Canada its rated at 31 mpg city and 46 mpg hwy. Remember too that a Cdn gallon is 20% larger than a USA gallon so my average is only about 26.5 mpg in USA gallons. To make matters worse the split was roughly 2/3 hwy minimum and 1/3 city miles. Has anyone else got this poor mileage and do you think it will improve once broken in???
    -----------------

Wow, I get better gas mileage in my VW GTI.

Though a newly bought car will need to be 'broken in' for the best gas mileage. Also, the winter formula gasoline tends to yield a few MPG less than the summer formula.

So it could just be a combination of both. If it's still bad come summer, you might want to take it to the dealership for an full inspection.
  • vw79type2vw79type2 Member Posts: 37
    I am interested in the Aveo LS 4-Door hatchback but am confused over the gas mileage. I've heard some people get really great gas mileage (like 38 highway) while others are lucky to get 27 highway.:confuse:

I would like to know what owners here have been experiencing, especially after they have broken their cars in. I'm particularly interested to hear what type of mileage those with the manual transmission have been getting both city and highway.

Thanks for your help.
  • sweetgirlsweetgirl Member Posts: 1
    My husband used this car, brand new, for almost 1 year to commute to Orlando an hour away. He got 38 mpg consistently. Now a little over a year later we Went to Tampa and back on just under a tank of gas. This is a great little car. Very roomy for it's size. We have the hatch back. Anyone who rides in it for the first time is always very pleasently surprised by the room and comfort. I recommend this car to everyone. :)
    I own the 5-speed and am getting about 29-31 around town and 37-40 on the highway ....I did drive 85mph through oklahoma on highway 70 and got 36.5 not bad. I even hit 90 a few times. Some teenage goatropers were trying to race me in there dualie.
    I've been involved in 2 other forums beside Edmunds and gas mileage DOES seem to vary quite a bit from car to car. I personally think that 38 mpg is far and away the exception, rather than the rule. I wouldn't absolutely count on any more than low 30s for a hatchback in strictly highway driving.

I keep track of every drop of fuel and enter it into a software program to track business expenses. At 66K miles, my average is 31.88 for a 2004 sedan with AT driving 80% highway/parkway and 20% moderate around-town miles. On the highway, the auto trans shouldn't hurt a bit since it has a slightly higher final drive ratio, but probably costs a couple of miles/gallon around town.

Check the mileage of actual owners at www.fueleconomy.gov -- pretty much high 20s to low 30s.
    I am an actual owner..
  • jkramerjkramer Member Posts: 6
    When gas hit 3 bucks a gallon I started looking for a $10,000 hatchback that got 30 mpg. The Aveo fit the bill and so far I haven't been disappointed. Today at the pump I noticed that the person before me put $66 in their tank. I smiled as my pump shut off at $26.

I have a 2005 LS 5-Door 5 speed manual. During 7 months of ownership the odometer reads 6400 miles. Every week I drive pretty much the same route which consists of about 50% highway and 50% city driving. I record my milage at each fill and have averaged 31.1 mpg with a low of 28.4 and a high of 33.6 mpg.

I haven't taken a long trip so I don't know what it would get for strictly highway mileage so I can't help you there.

In my opinion the 5-speed does little to improve gas mileage over the automatic especially at highway speeds. At 70 mph the engine is turning 3000 rpm and when I get up to 80 I find myself wishing for a 6th gear. If you plan to do more highway driving I would go for the automatic.
    No offense intended ;)

I just meant owners have recorded their mileage as opposed to EPA estimates or car mag figures.

I can live with mileage -- I just hope the car holds up over the long haul. The suspension is pretty shabby now and requires a lot of steering corrections and a firm hand to track straight. It seems to be the weak link on this model. Hopefully, they've corrected some of the flaws since the first year because it's not a bad car otherwise.
    I am a slow driver.....and I usually drive the speed limits..and drive very casually around town. I don't have a tendency to floor it so to speak. Oh but once in Oklahoma I did show some kids I could keep up with their Dodge truck. Oh back to the point I am one of those people that drives by the book usually. I think that is why my mileage is kinda high.

Hey, do check out the new 2007 sedan.... it is supose to be better from what the guy at the Dallas Auto show told met....
    It did have better materials inside.. I was impressed, but that is how they should have built it in the first place.
  • nosehairnosehair Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 hatch MT with 32K; been getting about 33. More efficient if you slow down some. I was getting better mileage before Katrina hit (at least that's the feeling I had @ the time).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    may be the re formulated gasoline for the summer that has lowered your mileage.
    It does mine just like clockwork every late spring. My milegage drops about 10% or so
  • sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    Saw an interesting story on nbc's today show. It was about the rising cost of gas, as well as how misleading the estimated gas mileage numbers are on new car window stickers. Not just off by a couple of miles, but in some cases, 50%. For example the jeep liberty suv had a window sticker claiming 24 mpg, but it only gets 12 mpg. Ouch.

I bought a 2006 ford focus ST, and have been upset by the weak gas mileage I am getting. Thinking of trading for an aveo if the gas prices keep going up.

What are the owners of aveos getting as far as gas mileage goes?
    I bought a 2006 ford focus ST, and have been upset by the weak gas mileage I am getting. Thinking of trading for an aveo if the gas prices keep going up.

What are the owners of aveos getting as far as gas mileage goes?

How bad is the Focus? I wouldn't trade it in for a couple of miles per gallon. Aveos seem to get pretty much what the EPA figures say -- 26-35 MPG or so. Definitely depends on driving style and whether the miles are city or highway. People I've heard from who drive with a heavy foot around town don't make it out of the mid-20s, though.
    Click on the Consumers rating at the top of the page to see what some people are saying about mileage. It varies but some claim as much as 42 hwy, while other say 32-34.

The Liberty with the diesel engine is poor as well for such a small vehicle. It is rated at 22/26 and reports are upper teens overall, but people are gullible to keep buying them and learning later that they paid more for less.
  • sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the tip. I had an 03 Focus SE with auto trans and that car got excellent gas mileage. My 06 Focus ST is a manual but it does have a much more powerful engine than other trim levels. Guess there is always a trade off...more power burns more fuel. Beginning to wish I would've kept the 03 focus.
  • vw79type2vw79type2 Member Posts: 37
    Only had my manual Aveo for two weeks and noticed gas mileage significantly varies depending on type of driving and where.

Got between 32 to 33 MPG during 20% City 80% Highway driving at my typical driving speed.

Going faster and upping City mileage to maybe 35% I got between 28 to 29 MPG.

Just today took a couple hundred mile trip with probably 90% Highway mileage at regular speed and got around 37 MPG. :)
    Very sensitive to type of road and driving technique. I'd hate to see mileage in 100% city stop-and-go, like Manhattan -- probably high teens.

My '04 w/AT has improved lately to an average of just under 35 mpg with 80% parkway/highway and the rest moderate suburban with lights and stop signs. The roads I travel every night as a delivery driver have a speed limit of 55 and are well-patrolled, so speeds rarely go above 65 mph.
    I have heard of the some of the early models not getting the greatest of mileage because of the computer not programmed properly. I have also heard (earlier in the forum) of dealers flashing the computer to reset it per GM service bulletin which supposedly helped the mileage. Did this situation apply to your car? Anything below 25 mpg in city wouldn't be good in my opinion, and this car is rated at what 27 city. If yours gets below 20 mpg you have some serious issue or a lead foot.
    I've never driven enough city miles to get any mileage readings. It was just a guess that heavy, gridlock stop-and-go all day would seriously drag the mileage down. Most of the work this engine deals with is getting up to speed. NYC taxis that get 18+ mpg on the open road get only 10 mpg in the city.

My current mileage is probably above average for this model. I never had GM reset the computer and I wouldn't tempt fate by having them touch it. My average is the upper end of the EPA numbers, after all.
    I cant stand it. I have always got good mileage out of my car....now the idiot at the top have put ethenol in our summer gas supply and my mileage has dropped nearly 15%. Can they not figure if I have to buy that much more gas to cover the same distance it it not going to keep pollution down. By the way my city mileage is down to 27 and my highway is 35. Down from 31/40. By the way this sounds dumb but my brother is a mechanic, and he told me to put in Premium for the summer it would bump up my mileage. I will let yall know.
    It seems like something HAS changed recently. Posted a month ago that I was averaging just under 35 mpg (same 150 mile route 6 nights a week). All of a sudden, that has dropped to about 32 mpg with no other changes.

Was wondering about the gas since ethanol will drop fuel economy compared to 100% gasoline. All stations in CT use a 10% ethanol blend.
    Hey guy's I just took a trip to Arkanasa up in the hills for a couple of days ....it was a family trip. My mom and I of all people. Anyway I was driving up from 400 feet to about 2600 and everything between and on the flat land up to Arkansas from Texas....I was driving 65-75mph..I averaged just over 35mpg. Got back to Texas Thursday night and filled up the tank and drove my mom back to east texas and vistited my sister and her family and had to run out to Tyler. I got back to Dallas and filled the tank and got 38.7mpg. End of story..

I filled up in the areas were they dont use Ethanol.
    I filled up in the areas were they dont use Ethanol.

What are the gas stations using instead -- MTBE? They switched over in parts of the Northeast earlier this year or late 2005, because MTBE is so toxic and has a nasty habit of polluting the drinking water supplies.

I thought all fuel supplies were supposed to go with 10% ethanol nationwide.
    they dont use anything, just in metro areas do they add.
  • heyphillipheyphillip Member Posts: 13
    I am waiting for the 07 model to come out and then buy one of these cars
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    Hi all,

Just finished 5k miles with an average of 39.53 mpg. I have just seen my first tank at 42.3mpg as well. So far It has done better the expected.

Ron
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Ok. I know you never get what the window sticker says you will get in MPG. I traded in my 3.0L V-6 Ford Ranger with a 5 SP stick shift. I only got 13-15 in the city. My driving is 100% city driving. The truck was suppose to get 20+ in the city. Never got near it. Now the Aveo is suppose to get 24 in the city. I have yet to get more than 18 in the city. and I am driving like a little old lady. No jack rabbit starts. Try to cruise to the red lights. In other words..no fun at all. The best I get is 18 mpg. I have seen on here people saying 34-42 mpg! And the sticker never said anywhere near that even on the highway. And they are getting it in the city??? I know it is brand new,only 1,000 miles so far. But this stinks. I know it is city driving and lots of A/C,here in south Fla. I could have gotten a Yaris,for $4,000 more and maybe get the 40mpg I was praying for. But I bought the Aveo on the spur of the moment,after getting tired of waiting for the Yaris to turn up! And the Aveo Hatchabck is so big inside and so few on the road here,I stand out. And CHEAP to buy! Now that I have added all the extras to the body,hood bra, body side molding, tint, real Daewoo wheel covers, that cover the entire wheel so you dont see the black steel wheel under it. I love not having to shift ever 2 seconds like in my long loved Rangers...6 of them over the years! So...anyone else getting poor mileage? Or what is your real mileage?
    since they have shifted to summer gas here in Dallas I am only getting about 26 around town and 36 on the Highway before the big change to Ethenol I was getting 31/40.
    The problem is the 100% city driving and a low-horsepower engine with auto trans. I've been following the Yaris and Fit forums, as well, and there are some very frustrated owners there with exactly the same complaints -- very low mileage in the city.

Nobody is getting 40 MPG in that type of driving in a Yaris or an Aveo!!

I currently average 34 MPG in a mixture of about 70% highway (55-70 mph) and the rest secondary/suburban with some lights but no congested city miles. That's with a 2004 AT, very little AC use and 82k miles.

Also, give it some time to break in -- no engine will get its top mileage in the first 10k miles.
    Just incase you dont know. Only the sedan will change at all. For some reason the hatchback will remain the same. So if you are holding out for a new body on the hatchback...it isnt coming...not in 2007. The 2007 sedan is nicer inside and looks much different outside...but I prefer the hatchback. :confuse:
    I know of the break in period..but..it takes me like 3 years to reach 12,000, let alone 10,000 miles. Thats the problem, I always trade in a truck or car in showroom condition with 10-13k miles on it after 3-4 years! And the dealer thinks I roll back the odometer! And all my driving is city..it is a pain trying to aim for green lights,coast to red lights,combine trips to get the engine heated up to get better mileage. Good to know the Yaris and Fit club are getting terrible mileage to. now i dont feel to dumb. :(
  • toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    I've owned my 2006 LT aveo hatchback since Febuary 14th, 2006. When i first got the car i noticed i was getting between 26-28 mpg, with a mix of city and highway driving while most of my trips are less than 10 miles.

But i have noticed recently thatn i can barely get over 23mpg out of it and that was with at least 120 miles on the tank being interstate driving.
    I took a trip to KY that was 300 miles 1 way and only got 29 mpg.
    I drive the car very gently and do my very best to try and keep it around 2500 rpms, but its very hard sometimes considering it seems to take forever to shift up gears sometimes causeing the rpms to rev really high.
    I have also hear there are problems with the gas cap causing gas to evaporate on hot days, since i live in Georgia this may be the case.
    I've heard mention of computer problems with 2005 models, but no news on the 2006. The dealer acts like im crazy when i say im getting such poor mileage, but i talked to the owner and they said they would thoroughly test it the next time i came in.
    I've decided to keep track o my receipts and last fill up was 9.622 gallons i got 231.8 miles on it = 24.09 mpg, thats a full 2 miles under the epa estimates.

Also, i asked my dealer about oil changes and they said not to change it till the check oil light came out(which can be anywhere from 5000-7500miles), because that was how the new gms were designed and i was just wasting money otherwise :confuse: . Is anyone else skeptical about this?
    I can comment on the oil change issue. Only cars like BMW's,Corvettes,Lexus,and Mercedes have 'oil life' indicators. That tell you in numbers on the dash the percentage of time till you have to do an oil change. Before it 'goes bad' and needs to be changed. That is a VERY expensive item to have programmed into a car and it is not in this super economy car!
    My friends with these cars all have it on their 'engine readouts',and it is not on this car. The owners manual says to change it at 3 months or 3,000 miles,under 'severe diving conditions',which is city driving. I was shocked to see that AFTER I bought my Aveo. That kind of timing went the way of spraying your fan belt with belt dressing, to make it stop squeaking! But like I have said..with such a tiny oil filter, they must be covering their butts, by making you change the oil so frequently...to save THEM money,under the 5year/50k mile powertrain warranty. They must figure if you change the oil a lot..there will be less engine damage,thus saving THEM money on the warranty. I change it on that time table anyway,because it is a cheap way to keep an engine clean and running good. BUT thre is no light that is going to pop on and say,'time to change the oil'. If there is one..ask that dealer to show it to you, and then tell us where it is...I want to see it on my 2006. :shades: