Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    By the way - my TCH mysteriously did not lose a single MPG after the new tests were announced

That's exactly why no one needs to get their shorts in a wad over this. Mine is at 38.8+ and with warm weather coming it will only get better.

Your 36 is about what I average on high speed interstate driving in warm weather. I don't commute for work with my car and the most of my time I'm on rural 2 lane highways where I easily see 40+ driving between 50 and 55.

I will say though that the nice thing I see is that the TCH can, if you're so willing, significantly exceed the EPA estimates. From what I saw on some of the other cars also dropping their estimates 11 to 12% from last years ratings, I don't think there is much upside. If it says you're going to get 22 mpg then that migh just be about as good as it gets. (I say that based on the estimates I saw for my previous vehicles)
    in addition to this setting, is there another mileage indicator that I can access that would be tied to either of the trip counters (A or B), or one that I could access when I refill my tank?

The touch screen is a great learning tool for comparing various routes and techniques for some of your routeine trips. On your dash screen (over the steering wheel) is a tank mpg gage. It resets itself automatically when you fill up. There is no mpg that I know of to use for say a trip A and trip B setting.

Do most people refill their tanks when the low fuel indicator comes on,
    That's a personal preference. There are threads in this forum on the subject. You can probably drive 100 miles after your light comes on or even after you hit the "0" mark. That's pretty well documented, and you'll see that after your first fillup or two.

Also there is information about manual calculations vrs using the mpg gage. There are errors in the speedo and the fuel mpg calculator. More info and interesting technogeek reading is available on that as well.

Check out the driving tips threads.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's the short trips that are 'killing' your fuel economy in any vehicle you drive. Cold weather adds to the problem.

The flip side... you have short trips. :D Former commuter into NYC from No Jersey.

Luckily now I only have a 150 mi daily commute through the coast plains of NC/VA. Enjoy your short trips they are worth the price of somewhat lower fuel economy.
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    I've posted here about disappointing mpg numbers with my TCH this winter. My trips were short and in cold weather.
    I was averaging about 25 mpg. The temps rose above 40 this week and my latest average is 32 mpg. The cold temp does indeed knock down MPG.
  • stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I just picked up my TCH about a week ago (2-24-07). I can't verify that the tank was 100% full, so that might be a factor. But I have been averaging only 25.9 MPG so far on the first tank. I live in Indiana. The average temperature for the past week has been around 40. My commute to work in the morning is only 4.1 miles each way, so obviously the car isn't fully warmed up by the time I get there. My only highway trip so far was from the dealer where I bought the car to my house (about 40 miles). I did get 37 MPG on that trip. But I'm disappointed with the city mileage. The city mileage on hybrids is supposed to be HIGHER than the highway mileage! When I leave my garage in the morning (I have a garage heater and keep the temp at 55, so it's not that cold), I look at the screen and it seems that the battery is almost fully charged. So why can't the car run off of the battery right away? Why does it have to "warm up" first, when I have the car inside in a fairly comfy environment anyway? FYI, I have been using the economy mode button for the heater/AC.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    ALL CARS (non-hybrids and diesels too) run less efficiently when the engine is not up to optimum operating temperature.

Your daily commute is not good for owning a hybrid - it's just not long enough a trip for the HSD system to do it's best work. I have the same problem - about 5 miles. But I am fortunate enough to live in Phoenix when even the COLDEST mornings are still in the upper 20s.

Here's a test to prove to yourself that the short trip and not the car is the problem: Take a 30-minute meandering trip around your town, keeping your speeds under 42 MPH (as the car will not use EV mode above that speed.)

Once the car is warmed up properly, you will notice it going into EV mode quite a bit, and you will notice the MPG increasing.

Let us all know the results of that test. :D
    I'll give that a try this weekend and see what happens. Another thing I don't understand. If I accelerate up to the speed I want and maintain it without lifting my foot off of the accelerator, the car doesn't necessarily go into EV mode as fast. But if I accelerate up to my desired speed and then let off the accelerator for a moment and then put my foot back on it to maintain the speed, I notice the difference almost immediately. Is this something that Toyota programmed into the car on purpose?
    It's the length of the trip that governs all FE values not so much the type of driving.

You can refer back to an earlier post I made in this forum #314. Hopefully it will give you some guidance.

Also you will need to wait a good 5000 mi or so for the vehicle to get really broken in. This forum has a lot of good info by experienced drivers from all over the country. Take the time to read the posts. Good stuff here.
    Yes it is. You've noticed one of the biggest gas saving technologies in the Toyota hybrids.

At highways speeds when your lift off the pedal the engine goes from about 1600 rpms to about 950 rpms ( idle speed ), yet you are still going 50-60 mph.

At city driving under 41 mph when you let off the gas you actually shut the engine down and you are 'gliding' or maybe running on electric power.

The longer you can get into these two phases the more fuel you'll save.
  • redfieldredfield Member Posts: 2
    I AM GETTING 28 OR 29 MPG ON MOSTLY
    SHORT PERIODS OF DRIVING,USING HEATER.
    No long trips yet. How can I improve?
    No long trips yet. How can I improve?

How long?

I still have no problem even on trips less than 5 miles of getting at least 35mpg. I just came the back roads (45 mph) from town on a 25 mile trip and got 46.7mpg (but yes, I was trying hard) in 27 degree weather.

Read the driving tips threads. You may never get 38, but if you're really interested in obtaining high FE then 35 should be obtainable for anyone, at least when it gets warmer.
    I just finished my first tank of gas. 423.8 miles, about 100 of which was highway driving and the rest city. My tank average was only 27.4. Kind of disappointing, but probably due to the fact that the car is new and I had several short trips. I drove around town all day last Saturday and only got about 26, but today so far I'm getting about 31. It really varies depending on how warmed up the car is, if you're driving on level ground or not, how many times you have to stop, etc. I didn't think it would take this much work to get over 30 mpg in the city. I'm hoping it improves after the car is more broken in.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a TCH, just started my second tank. I love the car, but wasn't much impressed with the MPG on my daily commute to work. Weather warmed up a bit this weekend, got 45mpg to the airport and 43mpg coming back (with a stop at the mall). But I was still getting 25ish mpg on commute to work.

This morning I was pleased to discover my ICE shutting down after a much briefer time resulting in getting 36/37mpg to and from work - but I don't think it is because of the slightly warmer weather.

The difference was, believe it or not, turning off my heater (seat heater had no negative impact). Tested theory several times, found with heater on "auto" ICE stayed on at stop signs but if I turned the heater off the ICE would turn off.

If I drove longer with heater on, eventually the ICE starts to turn off, but on a short commute (20 min) I wasn't getting much benefit.

My plan for maximizing MPG is seat heater on, main heater off (until I have a chance to test heater in manual mode more thoroughly).

Hope it isn't just a coincidence. Maybe someone else out there will try it and let me know!
  • jbriskojbrisko Member Posts: 9
    I think you made a right decision by not buying the TCH.I live in a place where it is cold atleast 5 months each year.I have been getting only 31.7 miles on my short commute to work. This evening was cold and coming back display showed 29.9. I feel like I was screwed royally for buying this junk.To think that I put a deposit on XLE and changed to go with this ,make me kick myself.
    Honestly though, you wouldn't be getting anywhere near 29.9 in the city on an XLE. It would probably be about 17, which is what I was getting in my Accord EX-L before. So it's still an improvement, even if it doesn't give you what you hoped so far (as is my situation). Plus you'll get the tax credit next year on the hybrid (unless you leased it), so don't forget that. The hybrid has almost all of the features of the XLE, except possibly the fake wood trim and larger trunk, and it's less money even before the tax credit. The resell value will definitely be much better down the road. So don't feel like you made such a bad decision.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I think people have to understand that rather than get upset at the car for not getting them 40mpg, they have to look at their driving habits. Remember, this car performs like a V6, and gets mileage better than a 4 cylinder.

When I drive my car like I stole it, I'm happy to get 30mpg. Doing the same thing in my last performance sedan got me 15mpg. That's a significant difference. I'm not getting the EPA rated mileage, but then I never have with any of my cars. So it's certainly not something I expected even with this one.

I'm sorry you're not happy with your TCH. But would you have felt better getting 17mpg with an XLE? You're still doing much better mileage wise with your Hybrid, and should do better when the weather gets above 50F.

tom
    When I drive my car like I stole it, I'm happy to get 30mpg.

It must be nice to not be obsessive-compulsive like some of us ;)

I can't bring myself to drive mine "like I stole it". I tested it once to know what it would do in case I needed the power for an emergency manuver. But when I took this leap from my FX45 I decided to change my driving style and I'm always striving for maximum FE, simply because I know it's capable of it and because my inner drive to see if I can maintain last tenth of an MPG consumes me.

I'll probably get over this in a few years and get a Vette, but for now my passion is saving gas.
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    OK.. you are right... I too have become an obsessive-compulsive, right-lane driver!!! AUGH!!!! And, I'm enjoying it and my driving a bit more. I have never driven like this in my 54 years... Toyota has also set up this car so that you know your mpg and are rewarded by a bluer arc when you are driving smarter - it's like a game.

This all probably sounds crazy... as today I turned off my heat and seat heater to find the ICE does not kick in as much and I get even better mpg's.

This car is not for the lead footed... it is for the gas and environmentally minded. What with global warming, it is nice to know I am doing something good for the environment as well as saving gas. Does it take some sacrifice... apparently yes. But it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

I was thinking today, that if everyone could see how their driving effects their mpg's there might... and I stress might... be smarter drivers out there without hybrids. Driving this much slower gets me to work only five to ten minutes later on an hour drive. My gas and maintenance costs are down from owning a BMW and a Saab.
    I have never driven like this in my 54 years...

Ha, must be an age thing. I'll be 54 this year as well. I've driven sport cars, luxury cars and SUV's (still have an SUV) but as I approach retirement I've found that downsizing, simplifying and becoming a producer rather than a consumer is something that motivates me.
    I just finished my taxes and I did get the full $2600 tax credit. Many people are saying that they have been buying at invoice, helping them feel better about not getting the full tax credit. Well it would have been great to have gotten a discount (at least more than the $500 I got) but in my record keeping of this hybrid experience I am showing that I have also saved a total of $4363 in payment, gasoline and insurance since I purchased May 5th, 2006. That does not include that I would have probably had a $500 to $800 service on the InfinitiFX.

I can afford a nicer car but my brain finally took over and said WHY? I can't kick people for wanting them because after a Vette, 3 BMW's, an Audi TT, 3 Nissan Zcars and the Infiniti FX45 I understand the lure of fine driving machines. I just came to the point that I have other things I'd rather do with my money.

Not only that but being the obsessive compulsive type I always was wanting something more, more HP, bigger wheels, more speed.... the list goes on. Now I've forced myself to walk away from that never ending obsession.

I'll probably be OK until they put a bigger battery in the TCH ;)
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    You can have heat and the ICE shutting down too :)

As you found out, don't use Auto. Turn off Auto, and manually set your fan speed and temperature, and most importantly - press the ECO button so you see the letters "ECO" displayed between the driver and passenger temperature display! ;)

As long as you don't 1) set the temp to MAX (or MIN), 2) use the defroster, ECO will stay set.
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Member Posts: 31
    I've had my TCH about 9 mos. My normal commute is 18 miles round trip. It's either flat or slightly down hill one way and obviously the reverse on the return trip. So I lose back what I gained coasting on the way in. I'm at 8500 miles and didn't see any mileage improvement after 5000 as some have had. I've read all the tips and tricks and try to practice them. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry or preoccupied thinking of other things my mileage will suffer because I'm not paying attention. My best tank average was 38 on a round trip from Des Moines to Minneapolis and it was about 40 degrees. It's been hard to get over 33 in the Iowa winter. Obviously it gets harder to improve your tank average the further into the tank you get because you've got all that history to try to counteract. I like to fill up and then really try to maximize the mileage in the first half of the tank and then try to keep from giving it all back in the last half. I wonder if there are any computer adjustments that significantly affect mileage. When I read of people getting over 40 I wonder if theirs might be tweaked a bit. I'd have to coast down a mountain to get that. Another little tidbit I discovered (which probably belongs in another forum but did affect my mileage): We had a huge snow storm a couple of weeks ago and I had to go into work before our parking lot was plowed. I made it in all right but upon leaving I got a phone call on my bluetooth and slowed down to push the answer button on the steering wheel (I still have to look to hit the right one so as not to hang up on them) that was enough reduction in speed to get stuck in the snow. That's where those "wonderful" electronic gizmos VSC and VDIM came to my un-rescue. You know how you used to be able to rock your self out of being stuck in the snow. Not with these goodies. I could floor the accelerator and the front wheels would barely turn. I know it was trying to limit the slipping but it wasn't even accomplishing that. A snow shovel and salt did the trick. I'd never been stuck in the snow in a front wheel drive vehicle ever before this. Anyway, my mileage sucked because I was using gas but not going anywhere. ;)
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Member Posts: 31
    Like wvgasguy said there isn't anything tied to the trip meters. You can of course use the touch screen anyway you want but I think it's designed to keep your highest mileage and you're current mileage. If your current mileage beats you highest mileage you can move it to the highest by hitting the lower reset button. If you want to reset them both then you hit the upper reset all button. If you want to impress you're less savvy friends you can fill your tank and hit reset all and then drive really economically until your current mileage is something like 80mpg then hit the lower reset button and move that to the best slot. Now when you are bragging to your buddy's you can show them that best mileage number. ;)
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Actually, one of my reasons for buying the TCH was to change to a more sedate driving style. Those sub 6sec 0-60 sprints between stoplights was killing my FE! (In my last sedan- but oh so much fun!)

And actually, I find I am driving much slower and am more relaxed with this car. I typically get mid to high 30s. I was just trying to make the point that even driving the car hard (on occasion) it still gets quite good FE. :D

tom
    Thank you... only thought of using eco with my ac. I'm warming up now.
    You are correct. I tested this out and manual heater with ECO lets the ICE shut off as it should! Thanks!
  • dandman1dandman1 Member Posts: 12
    hi
    im looking at getting a camry hybrid, but i live close to work, about 2 miles, and i drive about 10k miles a year, with trips to my cottage and highway

anybody have a similar situation? im looking to city mostly city mpg with the hybrid , if i can get mpg in the 30s, id save about $400 a year in gas, and my govt will mail me $2k back if i buy a hybrid, so its about $2k less then a se v6
    thanks
    dan
    ontario, canada
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    My situation is very similar. I drive about 3 mile to and from the train station for work. However, I do take longer trips on the weekends with my Camry Hybrid.

Bottom line, the worst mileage I was getting was when it was cold and I waited for the car to warm up. But even then -- cold weather, car warming, short trip -- I was still getting at least 30mpg.

Enjoy!
    ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "im looking at getting a camry hybrid, but i live close to work, about 2 miles, and i drive about 10k miles a year, with trips to my cottage and highway"

Unfortunately, your situation is in that area in which the hybrid will perform rather worse than hoped for. Short trips kill the MPG on a hybrid. It will still get better MPG than most normal cars, but not "hybrid" mileage. So long as you understand this, you will be satisfied.

At 10K a year, you may not drive enough to really recoup your extra outlay for the hybrid technology. You might do better with a Camry I4.
    hi
    as it stands, id be saving $2k over the price of a se v6, i drove a le v6 as well, its looking like a se v6 will be more of what i want, as it looks like i may not recoup the savings, maybe ill save $11k and buy a corolla!
    thanks, please chime in with advise
    dan
    hi
    its still me, anybody worried about what a battery will cost for this car? i know the warranty is 8 years
    im going for a test drive of the hybrid soon, maybe this week
    thanks
    dan
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Based on Prius experiences, the life expectancy of hybrid batteries is now estimated at about 150,000 miles plus.

But, if you're trying to do a cost-benefit analysis, I'm afraid that hybrids don't pencil out well. Oh, I guess if gas prices keep rising that may change. But, even now, other motives beyond dollars and sense are needed to justify a hybrid.
    But, even now, other motives beyond dollars and sense are needed to justify a hybrid.

I hope you meant "cents". A motive beyond "sense" would mean it's not a logical decision.

But, if you're trying to do a cost-benefit analysis, I'm afraid that hybrids don't pencil out well.

It's possible that some of us bought a Camry Hybrid but would have never considered a ICE only Camry as an option. If you're looking strictly for an economy car and can live with a smaller vehicle then a TCH may not make fall out as an economically viable option. I wanted a car that would have good FE, but I was not going to drive a small car. I did not buy the TCH to save money, some might have to have that as a motive to justify it. I wanted to use less gas (I'm averaging over 38.5mpg in 20,000 miles)

However, in the process, since May 5th, 2006, I have so far saved in excess of $4300 in gas, insurance and payment over the car I was driving. Granted I could have saved more with a $17,000 corolla, but that was not an option I considered.

Additionally, on a straight comparison with a Camry SE (the only other Camry I would have considered) with the $2600 Federal Tax Credit and the $3750 State Tax Credit I received I believe the financial benefits are indeed there. I believe that for considering financial reasons alone this will be the best financial decision I've made with a car (having bought well over 35 new cars in my time).
    ". . beyond dollars and sense . ." I should have used the word commonsense in quotes.

Nice, WV has a large tax credit, which won't apply to most buyers of course. Today, prospective buyers hope to get a $1300 credit, which may be reduced or zeroed out by the required AMT filter.

As to a cost comparison of the TCH to non-hybrid model, I'm afraid gas prices will need to go much higher for the price differential to be returned in savings. At $3 gas, the annual savings are roughly $350-400, depending on several variables.

Meanwhile, TCH buyers must buy a vehicle loaded with options; some wanted, some not, making a perfect comparison impossible. Still, most buyers are probably paying $4-6,000 more for a TCH, putting the payback date beyond the range most people keep cars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a quite contented owner. I just don't want to people to set themselves up for disappointment by buying a TCH thinking they'll save money. In most cases (WV's tax credit may make for an exception), they won't.
  • frefre Member Posts: 2
    How did TCH sound while driving steep hills? Edmunds road test said the engine whined in hills. We live in IL, flat landers, but want to travel across the U.S. and an concerned about car's ability to maintain speeds on steep grades without driving us crazy with the engine whine. Mileage would be great, as well as the environmental cleanliness. So the TCH is very much of interest to us. However, we do not want to make a $30K mistake.
    I live in southern Oregon. There are mountains to cross in every direction one drives, including the steepest grade on the I5 interstate from Mexico to Canada, the Siskiyou Pass.

The TCH has a smooth and competent 4-cyl engine that, yes, one can expect to hear a whine from occasionally. When more power and acceleration are needed immediately, the engine and electric motor will kick-in together, providing smooth power than compares to a 6-cyl engine (mileage will suffer, of course).

Last fall I drove over the Donner Pass (on I80 at 7,000 ft). I thought the car performed exceptionally well. "Adequate" power is of course relative to what one's used to and wants. The TCH won't drive like a big American V8. But the great mileage is real. I've always managed 38-40 mpg on trips. For a that, a little whine I'll take. Good luck.
    How did TCH sound while driving steep hills?

I've only owned one 4cy in the past (BMW320i many years ago) and unless I'm goosing this I just don't hear it. However when I goose my V8 4Runner it makes noise as well, just not the same type of noise. About any engine, 4cy or V8 will make noise when you kick it down and rev it up. Fortunately with the TCH it doesn't "kick down" as often as a ICE only 4cy.

If I lived in the flat land I would have a hard time worrying about what my car would sound like once a year taking it to the Rockies. This thing should be awesome in the flat.
    The TCH does GREAT on hills. It is one of few cars that you will seldom ever even NOTICE when it downshifts for more power.

I just finished a 1550 mile round-trip from Phoenix to San Fran and the car did a wonderful job. We reached peaks of around 4200 feet during the trip, and we never ever had a lack of power nor did we notice an overwhelming amount of downshifting to keep up.

We drove 70-75 in all those hills, had plenty of passing power for the slow trucks.

Even had a 38.43 MPG tank in there during the section with all the hills, while hauling two adults and two kids and a trunk full of gear.

Have no fear about how well this car does on long trips, large hills, and passing power.
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    I live in the Midwest. Cold winters and nearly all the gas here comes with 10% ethanol. The combination of these two along with short trips was tough on winter mpg. I did as low as 24 mpg when it was really cold. Now that temps are back into the 50s..I'm at 30 mpg. It'll get even better until a/c weather arrives. I hit 40 mpg in town last Fall during 60 degree weather.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Even had a 38.43 MPG tank in there during the section with all the hills, while hauling two adults and two kids and a trunk full of gear."

Well, one should really qualify that at 10.6 cu ft in the trunk, it can get full pretty quickly...
    Well, I have a 30 pound hitch on the back too....

And the way *I* pack a trunk, it can hold a LOT of stuff. :shades: :shades: :shades:
    As I posted earlier, I got about 26mpg on my first tank. I did 36mpg on second, weather still just as cold. Biggest difference was minimizing the use of my heater. Even with ECO and using low heat I couldn't do as well as with no heat (other than heated seats).

Love this car tho!!! I take friends to lunch and they see that I got 38mpg with 4 total riding in the car and they are simply amazed...as am I!
    The way I minimize the use of my heater and air is usually when I am at a stop. Eco works great... but when at a stop, if my gauge has not dropped to electric, I turn off the heat or air... it drops and my mileage stays up there. In NJ I've been getting between 36-39 in the cold weather.
  • ississ Member Posts: 2
    I have been driving my 2007 TCH for just a few days, mostly stop-and-go, high traffic, short distance, and the mileage is lousy -- lower than 30 mpg. (My I've been reading through this thread, and realize that I have not adjusted my driving style for the hybrid. (My 1994 Camry with 166,000+ miles still gets 21-24 mpg.)

I read about the ECO function for the A/C, but haven't been in the car since. Does it work with the AUTO function for the climate control?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

PS

Despite the lower than expected mileage, I love this car!
    The way I minimize the use of my heater and air is usually when I am at a stop. Eco works great... but when at a stop, if my gauge has not dropped to electric, I turn off the heat or air... it drops and my mileage stays up there. In NJ I've been getting between 36-39 in the cold weather.

You're obviously joining the group of extreem radicals on this board. Welcome!. However I can't imagine that you're saving but a few cents a day doing this (over using the ECO mode)and I would think that it would be awfully irritating to your passengers:)
    Thank you for the honor... yes, I am becoming a green TCH radical without bothering any of my passengers as I mostly drive alone. As my commute is at least 50 miles each way I have time to experiment and am averaging about 39 mpg... I am quite happy about this as I watch the price of gas soar.

My average does drop a bit when my wife is in the car as she married a guy who usually drove at 80mpg! Now it's more like 70.
  • grggrg Member Posts: 15
    Back from colorado, I am back averaging 40 mpg with nice temperatures. I find the key is to get the electric only engine on at speeds less than 40. Otherwise the "total hybrid" of Toyota seems to not be as consistently the lower mileage getter compared with the "partial hybrid" from Honda, where it seems those people don't have to concentrate so much on getting out of ICE.
    grg
    and am averaging about 39 mpg

After 20,000 miles I am averaging 38.55mpg. There are some interesting threads in the history that talk about calculated mpg figures as compared to the computer. You might want to catch up on those.

as she married a guy who usually drove at 80mpg! Now it's more like 70.

My wife has a fit every once in a while. I expect her to keep the average up. I drove an Infiniti FX45 typically at least 15mph over the limit, I now find myself doing 3 to 5 mph under the limit. It may be an obsession, I know what the car is capable of and I feel like I need to get there every time I'm out driving. I take the back roads a lot rather than the interstate and simply have become more patient and relaxed.

Over all it's been a healthy lifestyle change, as well as saving me $$$'s.
    I find the key is to get the electric only engine on at speeds less than 40.

That works great in town on flat, but I've found that the "sweet" spot on a rolling hill two lane road is really around 52 to 53 mph. No you don't get the E mode and you don't get as many minutes at 60FE either but I get a consistant 40FE to 50FE reading. When I get on these same roads and no one is around I have tried driving 40mph but it seems like even the slightest grade kicks the engine on and usually it seems at a lower FE than what I would at 53mph. It's like this thing rolls so well once you get the momentum and all that mass rolling it's more effecient to apply light horsepower to keep it there than it is to go from constant shifting in and out of E to ICE action.
  • cmanphotocmanphoto Member Posts: 2
    Just took a trip from Rochester, NY to washington, DC

On trip down avg was 43.3

trip back it was 41.7

Really impressive.

C