Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• texas51texas51 Member Posts: 1
    I got Camry Hybrid 2 months back. During cold weather when no AC was used tank average was around 39mpg overall but now with AC going most of the time overall numbers are more like 35-36 mpg. One other thing it appears tank average display on dashboard consistently displays 3-5 miles more than actual numbers. Last week when actual average was 35.5 dashboard display just before fillup was 38.3
    Have other seen this problem?
  • stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I now have about 1,500 miles on my Camry Hybrid, and it's a real challenge for me to keep the tank average above 30 mpg. Actually, if I use calculated figures instead of the display, I got 26.6 on my first tank and 30.0 on my second. So far the display shows 30.9 on my 3rd tank, and I'm do for a refill probably tomorrow.

I have found that the only way to consistently get in the mid 30's is to do a lot of driving at one time in town. Like driving around for 10 miles or more at a time. If you drive to work, go out to lunch, do some shopping after work, and then drive home; it's really hard to even hit 30; since most of those trips are less than 6 miles each. It takes at least 2 miles for the car to warm up enough before it really starts using the battery at all.

On the highway it isn't such a problem. I averaged about 40 mpg on a recent 90-mile trip (45 miles each way), averaging about 60 mph for my speed. So I have no complaints about highway mileage. But I don't know how everyone is getting the city mileage they are. I'm using every technique that people have mentioned to try and improve my mileage. Maybe I just need to wait until I have 5,000 miles on the odometer?
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    Stalnaker,
    I have about 3900 miles on my TCH. In moderate weather I hit about 33 mpg. In the recent cold winter, it went down as low as 24 mpg. I've seen mpg figures around 40 but only on extended drives. I do a lot of short trips. I'm really happy for folks who report much better mpg. If its any comfort, it doesn't happen in every case. With gas
    hitting $2.75 a gallon, I still feel a lot better than the folks in regular sedans.
    That's true. In similar conditions, I averaged about 17 mpg in my Honda Accord (V6). I just wish I could consistently get 32 mpg without even trying like others had led me to believe I could get. I also don't understand why the electric motor in the Camry has less HP than the one in the Prius. I would have thought they would put the same or an even more powerful electric motor in a larger car like the Camry.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    During cold weather when no AC was used tank average was around 39mpg overall but now with AC going most of the time overall numbers are more like 35-36 mpg.

Are you in Texas or is that just part of your ID? I'm getting the 35-36 in cold WV weather and hills. Now that you're using AC are you running it in the ECO mode?

One other thing it appears tank average display on dashboard consistently displays 3-5 miles more than actual numbers.

There are a lot of threads about this that I and others have contributed. Information about the error in the speedo, error induced by the tire size and odometer as compared to a GPS measurement are all discussed. The speedo and odometer are off and the errors cannot be corrected by changing the tire size since they are divergent. That is if you change the tire size to try to correct the speedo it would make the odometer error even bigger.

I back into a calculation each tank to determine what my theoritical gas usage would be in gallons based on the computer reading. I track this for a lifetime computer average FE. I also track each tank so I have the manually calculated FE average. I correct the manual calculation with the odometer error and make up some of the error but I've found that the normal manual calculation without an adjustment for odometer error is furtehr off from computer reading.

I have about 30 fillups and the difference between calculated and actual varry from 1mpg over to 1 mpg under.
    If you're not consistant (and who really can be) a tenth of a gallon more or less on a fillup can make a pretty big difference in a car getting almost 40 mpg.

The catergorized old threads make for good reading and it's a bonus that is offered by EDMUNDS that some of the other forums don't offer.
    I also don't understand why the electric motor in the Camry has less HP than the one in the Prius

I'd like more too but I understand the Prius is more of a city car and the Camry is a nice compromise in a family sized car that still gets excellent economy with 190+ horsepower. Many are complaining already about the battery size of the camry, I don't know how much more space they would take if you made them with another 25 or so hp. The Camry gets excellent FE on 2 lane roads driving at 50 to 55 mph.
    In moderate weather I hit about 33 mpg. In the recent cold winter, it went down as low as 24 mpg.

WoW, the worst I've ever had was 33 (twice). Both times were 80+ mph trips, with one in the rain and one in VERY cold weather. The rain and cold was hurting me so bad I decided to not worry about my FE and went ahead and drove it with only partially practicing good hybrid procedures. (like slowing some going uphills (75mph) and allowing 85mph while "coasting" down hill).
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Just went to their web site to see how it compares to our TCH... They are saying it gets 25/28 mpg, can't wait to see their forums, "I'm only getting 19mpg in town, how did you get 25mpg?"!

At least with the Lexus they are only offering XM and not teasing us that it can easily be switched to Sirius. It come with a backup camera and all this at a starting price of... drum roll please... $54,900.
    Is this the GS460h (not sure if I have the model # right)? I think that car has been out for a while. If you go to fueleconomy.gov, you'll see that the new ratings only put that car at about 22-23 in the city (the TCH is 34/33 I believe).
    Also......the only car right now that seems to have a good balance between luxury, affordability, and fuel economy is the TCH. Not sure about the new Nissan yet, but you can't buy it in all states currently anyway.

Nothing else makes sense if you want a fairly comfortable car without spending over 50K (if you do have that much, the Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec looks like a much better car than the new Lexus hybrid).
    the Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec looks like a much better car than the new Lexus hybrid

I guess if you have the $$$'s it doesn't matter, but diesel is running near or higher than premium gas around here. The top of line lexus (not the GS) is probably a lot more car than the E320. I also read that you can only use low sulfer diesel in the Bluetec and if you use what's found at most pumps it can quickly ruin your $2000 filter.

Does any one know just how available low sulfer diesel fuel is?

I'm hoping they come out with the Lexus ES (I believe that's the TCH equivalent) in hybrid. Though I'm hoping they stick to the 4cy and not feel like they have to put the v6 in for performance (I like the 38mpg). I'd like a little more quality materials than in the TCH but don't necessarily want to put $50K in a car anymore.
    Yes, that would be an even "more perfect" car, an ES350 with the same engine/mileage as the TCH, for about $38,000 fully loaded.

I have a good friend who purchased a full-loaded VW Jetta TDI in Jan of '06 (they aren't selling them in the U.S. this year while they redo the engines to meet the new requirements). His car isn't as large or luxurious as the TCH, but still not bad (heated leather seats, fairly quiet, navigation system, etc). His mileage is similar to the TCH (a little worse in the city, better on the highway). He told me that diesel is higher now because of the cost of switching over to the newer low-sulfur fuel. But once the switch is complete, he thinks the prices will be more in line with regular gas. That, along with other clean diesels that will be coming out (most noticeably from Honda) should provide many more choices in fuel-efficient cars than what we have now.
    I'll have to admit that Audi, VW and some of the other European brands sure have a nicer quality look in their interiors. May not be as reliable, but they have great looking interiors. I really decided as I'm now getting to be a senior, that I'd like to have a comfortable car with wood trim (not plastic), nicer leather and a better looking dash material than in the TCH, but my bottom line was I finally wanted to get rid of gas guzzlers for my everyday ride. The TCH is the only car I saw on the market to come close to my desires. I don't mind going around $40,000 but I just can't see spending $50K+ on a car. Even though I can afford it, it somehow just seems to be a waste of money and I'd rather do something else with it. (So why not save gas and have money left over to feed the hungry? Don't just save Mother Earth, but help out some of its inhabitants)
    Well put. That's kind of how I feel. My wife even thought $33,500 (including tax & 7-year Toyota warranty) was too much for a car. She wanted me to get a Prius. But I finally convinced her :)
    I've looked at the Prius, it's a little too radical looking for me. I don't want people thinking I'm a liberal when all I am is a cheap conservative.
    ...and my son said he would not drive with me if I got a Prius... I weighed that thought... for quite some time... and happily purchased the TCh which I love and my son thinks is cool. I'll probably be adding the faux wood dash pieces and a backup camera so people will confuse it with the Lexus. :)
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I am in Florida, and got a calculated 36.5 mpg on my first tank. Most of my driving is around town. :)
    OK, I've finally figured out how people are actually getting 30 mpg and less in their TCH. I just drove 30 miles round trip and only got 30.6mpg on that trip.

I was getting ready to go to a meeting when someone asked me if I brought my camera. Uh Oh, I said I'll be right back. I drove 65 mph on the 2 lane and when I pulled on the Interstate I did find out that the TCH will indeed do 100 mph. I also experienced some of that annoying engine whine. I slowed to 90 as I cruised the hills of WV for about 5 miles and then I hit the 2 lanes again. Got the camera, and made the trip back, similar speeds. Can't say I was disappointed. I did notice at 90 downhill and flat you still hit the 60FE mark, that's cool.
    Way to go!!! I sometimes miss that kind of driving but that was exactly how I started with the TCH until you all taught me the errors of my way. I'm just jealous because I have not got mine over 85 yet... but as a wedding photographer, I'm sure there will come a day. Happy motoring.
    I don't think I had rev'ed mine but once just to see what it would do if I needed it. It was all I need so I just never did it again. A CVT type transmission is indeed a different feel, so I believe any weird feelings i had came from that rather than the engine noise. Plenty of power. Now if it just handled like an SE those 55 mph runs would be a lot more enjoyable
  • wvrsmithwvrsmith Member Posts: 20
    I wish I had yours, but mine averages about 29 mpg around town. Gets close to 35 on hwy. Toyota says must be how I drive, but I coast, push it, and do everything I can to increase mileage to no avail. Local driving here in CA is hilly with lots of start stops. Can you or anyone suggest ideas for me to coax this car above 30 mpg around town.
    May make no difference at 5000 - that's what they told me.. I see all these other results up in the 30s and wish I had received another copy - love the car but really think there is something wrong with the car. Took it in for 5000 mile check and oil, and the local "guru" of hybrids said must be me. Said mine gets 30.6 which was listed on the computer [actual was 30.2] and then this all went through the floor to about 25.6 which I now coaxed back up to 28.9; so how's that for complaining.
    After playing with the car some more and reading what other people had to say, I don't think anyone really has a defective car. I think everybody just has a different driving style (no matter what they might say) and more importantly, different driving conditions. I drive 4 miles each way to work in the morning and maybe another 3-6 miles during lunch. Sometimes I go straight home in the evening and sometimes I have other errands to run. I reset my one mileage indicator each morning to see what my mileage is for that day. On the way to work this morning I achieved 29.5 mpg in those 4 miles......pretty good for me! Normally I'm lucky to get it up to 25-26 in that short of a distance. If it's a Saturday and I can drive around all day, I can usually get the mileage up to around 33-34 for the day, which agrees with the new ratings at fueleconomy.gov. I have yet to take a trip on the interstate since I bought the car 2 months ago. But on state highways (55 mph speed limit), I can easily get around 40 mpg. So it's easy to get good highway mileage, but not so easy to get good mileage in the city in my opinion, unless the car is really warmed up and you can drive it around for 10 miles or more without turning the engine off.

Just my 2 cents.

Ernest
    Toyota says must be how I drive, but I coast, push it, and do everything I can to increase mileage to no avail.

This is really one of those "Ah Ha" experiences that once you get it you're really get it. I don't believe you're going to "push" the limits and get over 35 mpg with this car. However consistantly achieving 35 and hitting 40 on some drives is possible if you really want to. At first it takes a conscious effort and may seem like a lot of hassle. You "relearn" to drive to maximize the hybrid features. After a while you'll simply do it second nature. Untill you do it as a reflex it will seem like too much hassle.

Experiment some time as you accelerate (level or even a slight grade) and see what your instant FE reading is. Then completely lift your foot from the pedal and lightly reapply. You only give enough pressure to keep it goinf at or near the speed you were going. You'll see somewhere between a 10 to 20 mpg increase most times. Now if you're in rolling hills (as I am in West Virginia) you have to do this a lot. With a little practice it's a habit. I don't ever lose more than 2 mph when I practice this, but if you have the NAV system where you can watch the bars, it's amazing that you don't feel like you're making much progress, but you'll be amazed how all the little efforts add up.

I'll have to admit, my wife like many folks just don't want to do this. However I typically get 3 to 4 mpg more than my wife on similar trips. When I want to hypermile it (and I'm not in a hurry and on a road without traffic) I have taked 30 mile trips on rolling 2 lane roads at 40 mph and gotten in excess of 50mpg.

Again, it's not for everybody, but even on a bad day (yesterday at 80 mph in wind and rain) I got lousy milage that was still twice better than my previous car.
    Thanks. Had that lesson and believe I am doing that now. But will try again.
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    I have filled my 2007 Camry Hybrid for the second time. The dealer made a swap to get the car I wanted. During this 110 mile trip, going between 55 and 65, the car average 38 MPG. On the first tankful which involved the drive home from the dealer and putting on about 400 miles, I averaged 41.8 MPG. On the third tank, so far with my wife driving, we are getting 38 MPG. I am very pleased with the performance, super quiet ride(Michelin Tires), and the overall pleasantness of the car. Most of the driving on the last tank is being done in Southern NJ on most two lane roads during rush hours. There are alot of traffic lights, so alot of standing time. Speeds range from 25mph to 50 mph. I am becoming a senior citizen this year and drive this car for economy. We sold our 2004 GMC Envoy which only got 14.5mpg. I also own a 2006 Solara SLE Conv't. It got 32MPG on a 2500 mile trip to Florida and back. It gets about 26.5 mpg, even with me not being shy to get the pedal to the metal quite frequently.
    'Untill you do it as a reflex it will seem like too much hassle.'

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent description of what happens when one starts making the change over to hybrid driving.

Good to know that my wife is not the only one that does not like to drive this way. It was surprising that she now enjoys my slower ways.
    Another point that I know others have mentioned that I have become all too aware of is that your mileage is significantly affected by the temperature, at least for in-town driving. I had a day last week where the temperature was around freezing, and my mpg for the day was around 24. Today (over 70 degrees), I have averaged around 32-33 just driving to work and the time I was out during lunch.

It does take more work than I wish it did to achieve consistent numbers above 30. Some people in these forums make it sound easy, but I don't think it is, at least not for me (unless you drive on the highway most of the time). The required driving style is starting to become second nature, but I still have to concentrate on the instant mileage indicator dial to make sure that the mileage really does go up when I let off the accelerator at the right time (sometimes it doesn't always work and I have to press on the gas and let up a 2nd time, even if the car is already warmed up).

I love the car, but it's not everything I expected. And although it's quiet inside, I have my share of intermittent rattles and vibrations that are hard to diagnose. The Camry Hybrid is close to a Lexus in quality, but it's not quite there. I wish Toyota would make an ES350 with the same mileage for under 40K fully loaded. That would be my next car for sure!
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I'm a contented TCH owner, but I find myself wondering what kind of mileage gains everyone could make if the drove like hybrid owners are supposed to drive.

One thing for sure, the digital mileage indicator provides instant feedback, signaling me with a lower number whenever my driving gets a little aggressive. My previous car didn't provide that kind of information, only at refill time.
    Yeah, and ES250h would be nice!

For me 45 to 50 degrees does not seem to hurt, but near freezing I lost 2mpg. Rain also cost me 2mpg. Driving 80 cost me another 2mpg.

My best milage is at 52+/- mph on rural 2 lane highways. I typically can get 40 to 42 there; 38-40mpg around town and on the Interstate I get 37 to 40 depending on just how hard I want to push it. However I don't live in a congested area, nor do I ever deal with rush hour traffic.
    if they drove like hybrid owners are supposed to drive.

Well, in all fairness, it's not that you're "supposed" to drive that way, it's just that you can indeed maximize the technology by doing specific things. Even though my wife is not a "fanatic" like me, I only beat her by about 2mpg on similar routes. Even when she's getting 36mpg, I can't complain because it's 22mpg better than the Sequoia she'd like to have and drive :)

For those of us who get credit for being green only because we consider driving a hybrid as patriotic (wanted to use less foreign oil), then buying into radically different driving techniques may be too much of an expectation. Besides I believe to maximize the FE you have to have a little bit of obsessive compulsiveness and techno geek in you. I have both.
  • youmeyoume Member Posts: 11
    wvrsmith,

you could try to cheat the hybrid system by ease the gas once you got into 40 45mph on local. Then the E mode will kick in( the display could help). At that moment, keep the gas in or up very low otherwise the ICE will start. I found that you could be in E mode if road is flat or down hill and all green light. I did got 40mpg after 3 or 4 miles on the 16 miles from work to home. However, from home to work it is hard to do only got 37 to 39mpg

Current my mpg is 40.
  • bolillobolillo Member Posts: 4
    I'm up to about 3000 miles on my Camry Hybrid and my mpg is in the 41-42 range, which I am totally surprised about since it's above the EPA rating of 38-40. However, I drive to maximize mpg though since I've given up speeding it may be easier for me than most of you. Here's what I've learned:

1. I get better mileage on the freeway than start/stop city driving. The reason is that if I get a steady speed between 60 and 70 mph on a flat or downhill section of freeway, both the gas and electric motors are engaged. At that point, the mpg indicator drops to 60 (at first I thought it was broken). As long as I keep a steady speed or on cruise then this gas/electric relationship will continue. The electric stops helping when going uphill or accelerating. I have yet to take a long trip with it (going to do that this weekend) but I'm willing to bet I'll be getting mpg in the high 40s.

2. The worst mpg is created by accelerating because the electric motor can't handle it by itself unless your rate of increase is miniscule (i.e. you're a hazard to the people behind you). There doesn't seem to be any way around this. This even applies if you're going 70 and want to increase to 75.

3. I have gone as fast as 40 mph with only the electric motor engaged. I accelerate to my speed, then keep it steady. Usually at that point only the gas motor is engaged, so I let up on the gas a little for about a half second, then lightly press down on it again. Most of the time the electric motor will engage without the gas motor kicking back in. As long as I don't accelerate, I can keep the gas motor in the background (though it never shuts off, which is a good thing).

I live in Central Texas where there are low hills and I firmly believe my mpg would be a lot better someplace flat. The worst mpg I've gotten was 37 on a road trip through some hills with the temp in the 30s; nothing like accelerating up hills every half mile to drop the mpg. Like I said, I don't usually speed so that might skew it a bit. Also, I do half my driving in the early morning and thus don't use the A/C too much. I'll have to repost after the Texas summer is over.
  • snertlingsnertling Member Posts: 2
    I own a 50th Anniversary TCH. In six weeks and on seven tanks of gas, I have driven 3911 miles and averaged 37.2 MPG. I commute to work over a hilly 4-lane highway at 72 mph. Some days I get 34 MPG and some days I get 43 MPG. The difference is usually the weather - I do best without rain on a warm (not hot) day. I always break at the same mileposts and go 2 mph slower up hills and 2 mph faster down hills than my average speed. The 37.2 MPG includes one tank of gas at 32.6 MPG - something was wrong with the gas.
    I bet you paid a lot more for your 50th Anniversary TCH! I looked at the description of that model and couldn't see any good reasons for the extra cost. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it :)

I have about 3,000 miles on my TCH, and my current tank is my best so far (33.6 mpg). It will be my first tank over 500 miles. I don't understand how everyone else is getting close to 40. I feel very lucky if I can get up to 32 on a consistent basis. But 99% of my driving is city-only. Nevertheless, I am able to run in E mode for long stretches, but I can rarely get to 40, even for one day.
    Interesting. I'm guessing since they now discount TCH's he may indeed have gotten it a lot cheaper than many of us did when we bought loaded ones in May last year. I'd have given $500 extra for the pearl white paint.

I can't complain though as I've already saved over $8500 in gas, payment and insurance in my last year of driving the TCH. The refund checks were awefully nice as well)
    Have never seen the anniversary addition... will have to look it up.

It took me close to 4,000 miles to figure out how to drive my TCH! Now it's second nature and the car is averaging 39 mpg. City driving is great, just don't do fast starts, coast and anticipate stops (forget about the car behind you - they will actually get better milage following you!).
    I too own a 50th Anniversary TCH. After 7 weeks of ownership, and 1,000 miles my mileage as calculated is 36.9. The trip computer is about 1 mpg higher.

I drive 95% in the city at speeds rarely exceeding 40 mph.

I am satisfied with the mileage. :)
  • tomqtomq Member Posts: 10
    Speechless, huh?
    I would be ecstatic if I got 34 mpg let alone 36.9. I am doing all the fancy coasting and hybrid driving, use mine like this chap, and I have a hard time coaxing it up to around 30 mpg around town - which here is a combination freeway and street driving.
    It took me over 3,000 miles to start getting better than 33 mpg... now I get between 38 and 40+ mpg. Keep working at it... it will happen. :)
    It took me over 3000 miles just to get up to 28 mpg + from the original 24.6; and now I am at almost 7000 miles, and barely getting 30 mpg. I can be as patient as the next guy and it is a nice car – but I think I got the lemon and all these other buyers got the apples.
    I'm kind of between you and everyone else. My last tank was the first one over 500 miles, and the average was 33 mpg. I'm only getting 31.3 on the current tank though. My mileage is around 2,700. I don't expect to ever average 35 or better in the city for an entire tank, but that would be nice :)

I have yet to take it on any long interstate trips. I'll have to see how that turns out.
  • hybrid4mehybrid4me Member Posts: 8
    My 50th anniversary edition ended up costing about $500 more than a loaded TCH (and it has the pearl paint, which is stunning, the wheels, the stainless inserts, floor mats). Knowing that I drive a "one of a kind" in my area means everything to my wife and myself. The vehicle gets lots of eyes from other TCH owners, that were not even aware such a creature exists. We have 700 miles, just took it to Boston and back (100 miles each way) and averaged 40.6 on the highway with cruise on at 70 mph. We replaced a 10 mpg 1995 4Runner, so the mileage is just icing on the cake. Took delivery on 3/31/2007, so will more than enjoy the $1300 back from the government. This is the BEST vehicle we have ever owned and will never go back to a conventional vehicle. We are sold on hybrid FOREVER.... If you don't want a unique TCH, save $500 and get the classic TCH. The upgrade was the best $500 I ever spent. The sticker shows $1500 extra, but everything is "suggested" as they say. Please do not bash the poster for getting the vehicle they wanted, and a unique one at that..... maybe we sense a little jealousy?
    My commute to work consists of only city driving. The speed limit is 35 mph and then drops to 25 mph for a couple miles. I accelerate to a bit over the speed limit and then take my foot off the gas and gently reapply it.

I hope to improve my mileage too. Good Luck!
    Me bash? Naw. I'm just asking if the Anniversay was discounted like the "regular" TCH's are now. If not then the real cost difference is what a discounted TCH would cost vrs a not discounted Anniversary model. I don't know so I was only asking.

I did point out that I'd certainly be willing to pay for the pearl paint. I like that. However I can wait until my next one before I get that option. My "savings" to date is over $9000 so I have no regrets (or jealously)for having purchased early. Unlike many of you I had to purchase before June 5th of 2006 to get an additional $3750 in STATE Tax Credits. I like that the rest of you (through you tax payments) have paid for about $6300 towards my TCH. Now that may make someone jealous.

Besides when I got the TCH I walked away from the jealousy and power game. I downsized and down graded for economy. I didn't plan on even liking this car that much but I do, so that's a bonus. I wanted a large, cheap to drive car and the TCH exceeds all my expectations.
    We are all happy you got the car you wanted... as most of us love ours as well. No one is jealous of the 50th Anniversary TCH (I'll order the special running board later:-)... the jealousy on this site is usually for those of us who get over 35 mpg... as well as the occasional accessory someone has added and no one knows where to get.

Speaking of accessory's ... spoke to a Prius owner this weekend who only regretted not getting the nav system. Told him how useless mine is and now he is completely happy with his car.
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Bingo!

To my (and my wife's) utter shock and surprise, I walked away from a Lexus IS350 for my Camry Hybrid and I have no major regrets. My Camry Hybrid is, all-in-all, the best car I have ever owned. I agree with you and can say the same on all points. Except for the $3,750 West Virginia state tax credit. Now on that, I am jealous!

But then again, I bet you have to live in West Virginia in order to get the credit. So I guess it all balances out.
    :)

(No harm meant. I have very good friends in West Virginia that I'm always joking with.)
    That was a good one... made up for the tax credit! :)