Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Lexus ES 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jax2pxsjax2pxs Member Posts: 1
    Do you mind saying what dealership you got this deal at as well as where they are located at. thanks
  • Options
    dinoeckdinoeck Member Posts: 8
    OK folks, I found this forum invaluable to establish "real world" pricing this week when I bought my black/black ES350... So here are my final details:

2008 ES 350 with a premium package +
    Full size spare
    Rear seat air bags
    HID lighting
    Heated & ventilated front seats
    Bluetooth
    Cargo net & Mat
    6 CD audio

Sticker was $38,502.

Paid $33,739 + $259 doc fee + TTL

Purchased from Herb Chambers Lexus. Shopped Ira Lexus, Lexus of Northboro, Lexus of Watertown and Lexus of Westport, CT (Via Costco purchase program).

The internet saleswoman at Herb Chambers basically said "call me last and I will take $500 off your lowest price" -- which she did.

I can tell you this: Watertown, Westport and Northboro TOLD me to buy from Herb Chambers at that price. They ALL said "that price is less than what we pay for the cars, you found yourself a great deal". At that point I guess I figured I had hit rock bottom (3 dealers opting out from a "I will drive there and buy now" phone call!).

So far, the car is flawless (oops, hope I don't jinx myself) and I have been amazed at the gas mileage (~28mpg for real-world not-all-highway driving)

Good luck to the rest of you!

Dino
  • Options
    lexusbunnylexusbunny Member Posts: 40
    I think the dealers (everyone, may be) are giving free oil change or mainteance for the first 2 years if you buy the 2008 ES350 (not sure about other 08 models cuz this is the only one I was going to get). But the catch is you can only get the 2 years free service from the dealer you get your car from. If I buy from Plano or Austin or even the part of town in Houston that I don't usually go to, I won't be able to take advantage of this service.
  • Options
    jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    I understand. Well good luck and be sure to post after you have made your purchase. I will be curious to know who you purchased from and the final price.
  • Options
    dunde71dunde71 Member Posts: 33
    I thought I would share the ES350 scheduled maintenance cost. It is higher compared to other vehicles and you have to get it serviced every 5000 miles unlike Acura where its once in 7500 miles. Even a 5000 mile service is $140. Here is the chart :

Service Cost Mileage
    A $140 5000 / 25,000 / 35,000 / 50,000 / 65,000 / 85,000 / 95,000
    B $260 10,000 / 20,000 / 40,000 / 55,000 / 70,000 / 80,000 / 100,000
    C $350 15,000 / 45,000 / 75,000 / 105,000
    D $580 30,000 / 60,000 / 90,000 / 120,000

Plus,
    every 60,000 miles add $350.
    every 90,000 miles add $730
    every 100,000 miles add $130
    every 120,000 miles add $290

So for 15,000 miles / year, here is the break down for maintenance cost / year
    1st year - $750
    2nd year - $980
    3rd year - $750
    4th year - $1330
    5th year - $750
    ----------------------
    5 yr Total $4560 + Tax + Inflation
    ---------------------
  • Options
    bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    All you really need is an oil change every 5000 miles or so and rotate the tires every other oil change. So this will cost you much much less. Because all the other stuff you are paying for is nonsence.Besides the tire rotation and oil change , the the first 5000, 10000, 15000 mile service they only eyeball fluid levels and that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. I just mentioned the maintenance schedule chart that I have with me to let people know what the dealers are charging. If you go to the dealer and ask for a 5K, 10K or 15K mile service to be done then this is the charge you are looking at. Acura servicing charges are no so high. I am not sure about Infiniti though. I think the Lexus Labor charge is well over $100/hr.

BTW, they rotate and balance tires in every service.
  • Options
    I do not have a Lexus dealer in my town. I could drive the 100 miles to Houston to have it serviced, but would rather just use the local Toyota dealership. Is this OK with Lexus? Does this fulfill my obligation under the service maintenance?
  • Options
    espo1espo1 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone heard what LFS will be offering for the Dec. sale month? What residual and MF for the ES? Is it the same for GS? I heard around 4% APR that's around .00168 which is pretty good. Couple that with buying down the MF and an Encore discount. :)
  • Options
    I am not sure if Toyota is going to do Lexus service. Maybe they will. Check with them. Since I am approaching 15,000 mile service I shopped around and surprisingly in NYC and NJ the prices are even more than I mentioned. 15K mile service in NJ is $470 compared to $350 in upstate NY. I called 5 different dealers and asked why the price is so high and why are they doing so many things that are not mentioned in Maintenance Handbook. They all have standard answer that "We recommend all this and it is much more involved than whats mentioned in the tiny handbook". I am surprised that no other ES350 owners are complaining about this outrageous maintenance cost.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Toyota won't touch Lexus in my area except for an oil change. Beyond that and if that is their policy, plan to drive 100 miles. Btw, what do you mean by "obligation under the service maintenance?"
    Z
  • Options
    I probably did not word that right. I have had other vehicles that if you did not follow their routine maintenance they would not honor the warranty (or would try not to do the work under warranty). The preventive maintenance had been done but at an independent garage and was not logged into the service book - had to show the paperwork.
  • Options
    roadrunnercjroadrunnercj Member Posts: 4
    Dino,

I was at Norwood today ... who handled your transaction? Did you get the premium package plus or were you simply saying premium package (+) I got these additional items ....

Please email me.

Thanks
    RR
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The only thing I've ever had done at Lexus is oil changes or warranty work; have the 20K, etc checks done at an independent repair shop. I've never heard of that voiding a warranty nor has it affected my warranty. Same has held true for Toyota's, Honda's and Infiniti's I've owned.
    Z
  • Options
    slanaslana Member Posts: 1
    The invoice price for your car was $33,911, but you paid 33,739, $172 less then the invoice, plust doc fee of $259. Means the dealer only made $123 of profit!

I know the invoice price since that's exactly what I've got (except, mine is black, cashmere).

I paid 34,500 but was able to waive $249 of doc/processing fee, ending up paying
    34,500 + TTL.

I thought I had a good deal, but you have the best one!!!
  • Options
    dinoeckdinoeck Member Posts: 8
    Thanks - you made my day!
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    Specials........Rate of Interest!!!

5.59%

Last year it was 6.29% and in August it was 5.99%.
  • Options
    sugarlsusugarlsu Member Posts: 3
    Unless we know how much you paid over invoice the post is meaningless. To say he got a bad deal when he paid around $500 over invoice is simply not true. If all your car had was the premium package and no other options, then you may have paid more over invoice than he did.

After doing lots of research and buying a 08 myself, I can tell you that I am convinced that paying 500 over invoice for a Lexus is a good deal. I think dealerships are making more money on financing and service than on selling new cars.
  • Options
    sugarlsusugarlsu Member Posts: 3
    The transmission problem is described as a flare. Think of going down the road and your engine reving up, but the car not going.

I now have 400 miles on my es 08 and I have not had a flare. I took it for a test drive in 20 degree weather last night and it perfomed beautifully. (some people have talked about a cold weather knock in the valves, I have not had that problem either). My hope is that these problems were corrected in the 08's, that's why I bought one instead of an 07. All 07's do not have the problem, based on what I have read.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    Thanks to all for replying. I have my car for almost a year with 6,000 miles and never experienced a flare as described above since 2 weeks, not sure if I have experienced one before, I hope not. I have not yet tested in cold as it is still 80 deg in Arizona but will keep checking and will post in a few weeks. BTW, my car was built in Sept 2006.
  • Options
    savsenssavsens Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to purchase an '08 Lexus ES 350 the with premium package and additional options, no nav. The sticker price is $37,700, the agreed upon offer is $34,990, which is $2,710 below sticker. Is this a good deal? I live in Southern California, and getting the car from Crown Lexus in Ontario.
  • Options
    ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Savsens,

Your quoted price is fair, but ideally I'd have them knock another $700-$1000 off.

Invoice on this particular vehicle is ~ $33,700.00. Make an offer of $34,000.00 + ttl and hold firm. That's ~$300 over invoice on their "volume seller", during one of the slowest months of the year for auto sales.

I wouldn't go any higher than $500 over invoice on this vehicle the way it's equipped.

Good luck, keep us posted.
  • Options
    Dang! I had a feeling, but I wasn't sure. My initial offer was $500 over invoice which they didn't accept. think now I'm stuck because I agreed on the price and will be going in to sign the paperwork. At this point, is there any way to get them to come down any further or do I just suck it up?

Let me add that I have a trade in: 2000 Camry w/ 178,000 miles. They're giving me $2500 for it, which is what it was appraised for at Car Max. They only wanted to give me $1500, but went ahead with $2500. I don't know if that matter.
  • Options
    There are tons of Lexus dealers that sell the same car you're looking for... it's a competitive market out here in socal. You haven't signed any papers yet, so there's no deal yet.

If you want to renegotiate with your dealer, just tell him that you've done a little more research and that you think his price is too high. You have to show no emotional attachment to the vehicle. Let them pursue you, not the other way around.

Call a few other dealers and ask to speak with a sales manager. Ask them if they have the vehicle you're looking for in stock. Tell them you're ready to buy and let them make the first offer and then counter with your offer.

Best time to get a great deal is on Tuesday or Wed. when the dealer is slow. Plus, you're at month-end. Be assertive and hold firm and you should get the deal you deserve.

You can e-mail me if you want to discuss further. ocautoseeker@yahoo.com
  • Options
    skh168skh168 Member Posts: 4
    Savsens,

ES350 is also one of the car I'm looking to get.
    I've received some quotation on the internet from Glendale Lexus. Without bargaining, they are already quoting me $33k without Navigation and $36.5 with Navigation.
    I'm not sure if this they are good price. But, I do know the dealers invoice cost from Manufacturer (Lexus) should be around $29,889 (basic model from MSRP $33,720). It never hurts trying to get as low as possible...Let me know if you get lower pricing, perhaps I will need that info too. thanks.
  • Options
    Hi,

I just purchased my ES350 today! I ended up getting a good deal from Crown Lexus in Ontario. Premium package without nav for 33,500. Invoice on this car (with destination of $765) is about $33,260. Newport Lexus who quoted the $33,500 and Crown matched it since I was already working with them. Also try Riverside Lexus. I think all the dealers are participating in the "December to Remember" campaign, so you'll probably find a good deal. Also see ocautoseeker's replies to my post. They were very helpful. Good luck! By the way...you'll love the car!!! I do already!
  • Options
    Hi Ocautoseeker,

First, thanks a bunch for your info. It was really helpful. I happened to get a call from Newport Lexus yesterday (before I signed papers at Crown) offering $33,500 for the ES350. That's about $300 over invoice. As you suggested, I contacted Crown since I was already working with them & they offered to match that. I don't think they were thrilled about it but they did it! They did give me $500 less for my trade in (which was still $500 more than what they said the car was worth to them...$1500), but I still came out ahead. So, I ended up getting the car for $1400 less than our original offer of $34,990. I'd say that's pretty darn good!

I picked up my car this morning and I love it already! So, recap:

'08 ES350 w/ premium package with bluetooth, without nav
    Invoice: $33,258 MSRP $37,700
    Paid: $33,500 + tax/license

THANKS AGAIN!
  • Options
    Congrats! I'm so happy I could help!

Enjoy the new car!
  • Options
    justbassjustbass Member Posts: 11
    Where are you guys in Ontario getting your MSRP numbers. The Lexus site has a MSRP of $42,9, vice the $37,xxx you guys are mentioning.
    I am in BC, it can't be that much of a difference?

My wife is warming up to this model with the UL package, dispite me putting other manufacture's offerings under her nose.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi ocautosseeker
    Just picked up on your post.There seems to be a lot of people who are told that invoice prices that are posted on several web site are wrong and it looks like some of the deals i've seen are more like $2000 over invoice and said to be only $1000, Did you see the invoice that showed the whole sale to the dealer when you purchased? And what dealer in SO Cal did you get the deal from?
  • Options
    PS what was on the car and did it include Sat radio? I'm going to be in LA for a job starting this Thursday and maybe would like to visit the dealer and see what he can do on a GS hell i might get one and drive it back to the east coast.
  • Options
    Hi espo1,

Most dealers participate in a regional advertising campaign. Those are the general commercials you see on TV that talk about visiting "your local Southern California Lexus/Toyota dealership, etc." Every region is different, but typically the ad fee can be anywhere from 1%-3% of the MSRP (usually minus destination $). In most cases though, it is typically around 1.0%-1.5%. It's a regional fee and therefore why sites like this don't track them.

On Lexus/Toyota factory invoices, you'll see it listed as TDA. This is an actual cost to the dealer and thus it is billed to them and itemized on the invoice.

In the case of the ES 350 recently purchased, the TDA was listed as $422. Therefore, if you built the vehicle on this site or KBB etc and saw the invoice, Toyota's factory invoice would be higher by $422. Make sense?

They're not trying to smoke-screen you on this charge, it's legit. Now, if on your contract, there was a line item expressing a charge for an additional ad fee, that would be bogus and you should refuse to pay it.

This particular ES was purchased at Newport Lexus. If you'd like the name of the contact there, e-mail me at ocautoseeker@yahoo.com and I'll tell you who to speak with.

I can tell you that on an ES with the UL package (unless it's a hideous color or a demo), that $1000 over invoice is a great deal. Lesser equipped ES's should be had at around $500 over, or in some cases less.

The car did not come with sat. radio.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    4barbara4barbara Member Posts: 46
    The 07 model had a invoice price under $30k
    Am not sure about the newer model.
    I've mentioned that anyone should seek the INTERNET dept not the direct sales floor when inquiring about a price. They usually give a lower price since they know you're shopping around.
    Call Oxnard internet dept for the gal that works there. Tell her Mark & Barbara from Valencia, Ca told you to call. Maybe she can help on pricing.
  • Options
    gtbguygtbguy Member Posts: 6
    Do any of you have any insight on what buyers can expect in the way of discounts if a person were to buy at the end of December? It seems like most buyers can get $300 or so over invoice today, I wonder if we can expect to see better pricing later?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yes you answered my question but what about the invoice? Did you see it and the $1070 was what you paid over the invoice? What I'm seeing in some cases and what was offered to me was $2000 over. and being told it was $1000 over. I have not seen the invoice but hey invoices can be printed with anything on them. Sorry I'll be in Santa Monica. Newport is a little bet of a trip or I would visit them.
  • Options
    rcole714rcole714 Member Posts: 20
    Received the following quote on an '08 ES 350 FWD, list with accessories (principally Premium Plus package, HID adaptive lights, NAV, and rain sensing wipers) is $41,912. They are offering at $38,100.

Lease arrangements as follows for 39 month, 12K miles:
    Residual 57%
    MF .00230 with no additional buy down of the factor.
    Monthly lease is $539.

Looking to close the deal before month end. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

rc in NJ
  • Options
    18186 VEHICLE INQUIRY REPORT DATE: 10/10/07
    DCV920 TIME: 07:20
    Model Number: 9000A SERIAL # :82173228 Check Code: 5

Model Description: ES350 4-DR SEDAN Category ..........: F
    Year ............: 2008 Current Dealer ....: XXX-XXXX
    Interior Color ..: LB25 LB25 Wholesale Dealer ..: XXXXX
    Exterior Color ..: 0212 OBSID Previous Dealer ...: XXXXX
    Body ............: 4-DOOR SEDAN Invoice Date ......:
    Number of Cyl ...: 6 Ship Date .........:
    Allocation Number: 095 Retail Date .......:
    Engine Number ...: 0429739 Date of First Use .:
    Vessel Number ...: 194 LDRC ..............: NO
    Vessel Name .....: NEWCEN2 V147 Damage ............: NO DAMAGE
    PDI ...............: NO
    Fleet .............: NON-FLEET
    Port PDS Complete .: NO

VIN .............: N/A
    Ignition Key.....: N/A

Factory Installed Accessories: PA UL VN
    Port Installed Accessories ..: Z1

Retail Dealer
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 33720.00 $ 28888.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $10327.00 $ 8303.00

# PERFORMANCE FEATURES
    * 3.5 Liter 272HP Four Cam 24-Valve V6 Engine
    All-Aluminum Engine Construction & Dual VVT-i
    * 6-Speed Automatic Transmission w/Sequential Shift
    * Front Wheel Drive
    * Dual Exhaust with Chrome Finished Tips
    * 4-Wheel Independent MacPherson Strut-Type
    Suspension with Gas Pressurized Shock Absorbers
    Front and Rear Stabilizer Bar
    * 4-Wheel Power Assisted Ventilated Front/Solid
    Rear Disc Brakes
    * 17" Aluminum Alloy 7-Spoke Wheels
    * 215/55R17 All-Season Tires
    # SAFETY FEATURES
    * Dual Front Airbags, Dual Front Knee Airbags, Front
    Seat-Mounted Side Impact Airbags, Fr & Rr Side
    Curtain Airbags, Supplemental Restraint Sys (SRS)
    3-Point Safety Belts for All Seating Positions
    * Fr & Rr Outboard Seat Belt Pretensioners with
    Force Limiters
    * Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with TRAC
    * 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
    * Energy Managing Crumple Zones, Side Door Beams
    * Theft-Deterrent System w/ Engine Immobilizer
    * Projector-Bulb Headlamps w/ Integrated Foglamps/
    Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    * Variable Intermittent Wipers with Mist Control
    * Tire Pressure Monitor System
    * Tool Kit and First Aid Kit
    # LUXURY AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES
    * SmartAccess with Push Button Start/Stop
    * 10-Way Power Adjustable Driver & Passenger Seats
    includes 2-way Power Lumbar
    * Electrochromic Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror
    * Heated Outside Mirrors
    * One-Touch Open/Close Pwr Tilt-and-Slide Moonroof
    * Automatic Dual Zone Climate Control
    * Automatic On/Off Headlamps
    * Lexus Premium Audio System w/In-Dash 6-Disc CD
    Player Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) & MP3
    Player Connectivity (miniplug) & 8-Speakers
    * Power Front and Rear Windows with Auto One-
    Touch Up/Down and Pinch Protection
    * Power Door Locks with Anti-Lock Out
    * Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel w/Audio &
    Display Functions & Column-Mounted Cruise Control
    * Key FOB-Integrated Multi-Function Remote Entry Sys
    * Rear Glass Imprinted Antenna w/FM Diversity Sys
    * Front Cup Holders with Adjustable Holder Ring
    * Rear Arm Rest with Cup Holders
    * Heavy-Duty Rear Window Defogger with Timer
    * Scheduled Maintenance Indicator Light
    * Lexus Personalized Settings
    * LED Interior Lighting
    * Carpeted Floor Mats
    Retail Dealer Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 33720.00 $ 28888.00 $ 33720.00
    Intuitive Parking Assist ................... 500.00 400.00
    Luxury Package Includes: ................... 5380.00 4378.00
    Perforated Leather Trim Interior w/Memory Dri
    & Front Passenger''s Seats, Outside Mirrors, P
    Tilt/Telescoping Wood & Leather Trimmed Steer
    Wheel, Panorama Glass Roof, Heated & Ventilat
    Front Seats, High Intensity Headlamps (HID) w
    Dual Swivel Adaptive Front Lighting System, P
    Rear Sunshade, Rear Seat Side Airbags, Driver
    Power Cushion Extender, Rain-Sensing Wipers,
    Bluetooth, 10-Spoke Graphite Wheels with Full
    Spare Tire .................................
    Navigation/Mark Levinson Premium Audio Packag 4250.00 3408.00
    Voice-Activated Navigation System w/Rear Came
    Bluetooth, Mark Levinson Premium Suround Audi
    with 14-Speakers, In-Dash 6-Disc DVD/CD Chang
    and Cassette Player ........................
    Preferred Accessory Package: ............... 197.00 117.00
    --------- --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $10327.00 $ 8303.00 $10327.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 765.00 $ 765.00
    TDA .........................................: $ 422.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 674.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 337.00
    --------- ---------
    Total .......................................: $ 39389.00 $ 44812.00

This is what a dealer factory invoice looks like, and as you can see, the selling price of $40,459 is $1070 over invoice. I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but depending on where you live, there will most likely be an ad fee (TDA) which is the main reason why internet websites will never match a factory invoice. They simply give you a ballpark.

Again, some ad fees are higher than others. For example, just did a deal on GMC Yukon Denali, and SoCal GM dealers participate in two ad campaigns (regional and group), which adds nearly 2%. I think it's a bit extreme, but it's what they are billed and it's itemized on the invoice. In that case, I simply negotiated $1000 back of their invoice.

So, YES, it is very possible to see a difference between $400-$1000 on factory invoices from what you'd see on Internet invoices like Edmunds. The invoices on the Internet do take into account the dealer holdback, so other than the regional ad fee, they give you a good idea. No site is perfect.

If you go to the dealer, ask to see the factory invoice. If they won't show you, go elsewhere... it's that simple. Dealers need the business more than you need the car, so it behooves them to cater your requests.

Good luck!
  • Options
    rcole714,

If your tax rate is 6.25%, then their quote is right on the money.
  • Options
    Tax rate here in NJ is 7%. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    Hi. Thanks very much for the info. I am in NJ. It appears that base markup is about 17% and options from 25% and up. Are the following negotiable at all, or are they simply charges that must be endured?

TDA .........................................: $ 422.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 674.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 337.00

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Thanks for this post. I always wondered what the dealer's invoice looked like. I won't be buying another car for a couple (or more) years, but this is good info. I am going to compare it against the numbers I got from my consumer's report. Is the dealers invoice something a dealership would share with you if you asked? When I was undecided if I was going to buy a Lexus or a Toyota, the Toyota salesman told me he would show me the invoice to prove what they had paid for a particular item.
  • Options
    I haven't asked this dealer to see the invoice, yet, tho I did that when I last bought my Ford Explorer (10 yrs ago.) They did show it to me.
  • Options
    WOW! Thanks Very,Very much. This is proof that I needed to back down there offer or anybody else for that matter. Wish there was a way of checking to make sure the MF and res. are what the financial people are truly offering. Sometimes these number change slightly just enough to pull that $500 or $ 600 back into their column.

Again thank you
  • Options
    shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    Hey rcole74,

can you tell me dealer im in nyc and your deal looks good
    thanks

you canemail me at
    nbty@aol.com
  • Options
    I have been dealing with Prestige Lexus in Ramsey
  • Options
    I have been told both by the dealer and independently by a friend who was in the auto industry, that they have no wiggle room in the MF and Residuals. Those are set by the bank.
  • Options
    For Toyota/Lexus, their Holdback is 2% of the Base MSRP. They also charge another 1% of the Base MSRP as a flooring allowance called Wholesale Financial Reserve.

Here's how this works... The dealer pays the full amount of the invoice and then is credited back the Holdback and Financial Reserve (typically on a quarterly basis) once the car is sold. The easiest way I can describe this is... it's like a security deposit that the dealer pays the manufacturer. The manufacturer has use of this money (interest free) until the car is sold.

Dealer's look at it as an expense since they pay it upfront, but in essence, it's nothing more than "profit." However, a lot of dealers will claim that their holdback is used for overhead costs... "keeping the lights on." That's a fair assessment.

Since it's not an incentive per se, I don't recommend bringing up their holdback unless they refuse to get down to a price that you think is fair. For example, $500 over is more than fair on this particular vehicle, but if they claim they can't/won't do it, just politely let them know that they've got about $1000 in holdback and really have a net $1500 deal.

When a dealer needs to get aggressive, especially at month-end when their trying to reach a sales goal, they may very will dip into their holdback and sell below invoice. Plus, the number of people who simply roll-over and pay too much for a vehicle even out their margins.

The big 3 and Toyota definitley have the highest holdback at 3%.

As for their ad fee (TDA), very doubtful that they'll budge on that.

Like I said before, anything you see on a factory invoice is legit. The things you want to be aware of are additional costs that are typed onto to your purchase agreement. Many dealers claim that they don't play games in this day and age, but always keep your guard up. Get eductaed, be polite, but be firm and you will get a great deal.
  • Options
    Rcole,

In regards to the money factor and residuals... that is true, they are set by the bank. The dealer cannot lower what the published buy rate is... however, they can raise it, and thus make a profit. If you have good credit, you deserve the buy rate.

Call and ask for a finance manager or a sales manager and ask them what the current residuals and buy rate money factors are based on the length of term and mileage allowance. 95% of the time, they'll give you the exact residual, but could fudge a bit on the money factor. That's why forums like this can be very helpful.
  • Options
    gtbguygtbguy Member Posts: 6
    Wow, I've never been provided with this information. This message you posted is very helpful in knowing how it all works "behind the scenes".

Once again, thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated by me and many others.