Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus ES 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jano2jano2 Member Posts: 141
    I tried to purchase from ANY of the Houston dealerships, but could not get them to deal (I live in College Station) They were several thousands of dollars higher than San Antonio and DFW area. I did not check with any Austin dealers. I bought from Plano Park Place, but Sewell in the Dallas area has been giving good deals. The only bad thing is they offer you perks (free car washes etc...) and if you live out of town and can't take advantage of them.
  • lexusbunnylexusbunny Member Posts: 40
    Man that's my problem too! They won't give in at all. And yes the one at Clear Lake gives free car wash weekly (not sure if this is for the life of the car) and oil change or whatever for 2 years. When was the last time you went in? I am going to try in the next couple of days and see if they will budge. Did you buy yours already? Which option do you have and how much did you pay? Thanks!
    I bought an 07 ES 350 at the end of August. I paid $37,350 w/ drive out price being $39,940. I got the navigation system W/ rear air bags, full size spare, etc..(no Mark Levison system). I think MSRP was $41,420....I posted the amount a few posts back. I did have my 5000 mile check up at North Side and it was a courtesy check because all the Lexus dealers have to honor that (plus they washed it). I don't know WHY they don't want to deal!!! Lots of people are buying out of town because they are getting a better deal. I would rather deal with the same dealership from purchase through the life of the ownership of the car. The Houston area would sell more cars if they would just compete with the Dallas and other TX areas. I think the same person owns North and Westside Lexus. I also dealt with McCall (?? that doesn't sound right...McCall Sterling maybe?), I did not go as far south as Clearlake though. Good luck - let us know the outcome.
  • johnengelbamjohnengelbam Member Posts: 3
    these dealers refuse to show the invoice.

What is invoice? is that with destination? thx
  • lexusbunnylexusbunny Member Posts: 40
    Well there are 4 Lexus dealers in Houston. However, the same guy owns 2 of them and another guy owns the other 2...so really there are only 2 dealers.

And yes, I don't know why the Houston Lexus dealers are so "greedy" and wouldn't budge. I prefer to buy from them too if they will offer a good price cuz I live around here...sigh...
  • sunnyvaledudesunnyvaledude Member Posts: 1
    HI got a 2008 lexus ES 350 with leather seating & navigation. bought on 12/23/2007
    I paid $36,336 + tax + $55 doc chg + 300 DMV total 39,702.
    good experience at stevens creek lexus. they explained every thing. offered nice service.
  • yvtyvt Member Posts: 8
    Hi fromsuv2van,
    Can you suggest the salesperson info - you brought the car from Longo, and also the one from Westminister if possible? My email is wuyvette@hotmail.com. Thanks.
  • skylabskylab Member Posts: 37
    Dealer offers $585 over (his) invoice on 2008 ES 350 with everything but active cruise control. Comes out at $39,900 before tax etc. versus $44,900 sticker. Edmunds TMV is $42,500 on the 08s, which seems high. TMV on equivalent 07s was $39,760.
  • maelvmaelv Member Posts: 3
    Shopped around the San Bay area for new Lexus ES350. One dealer was offering $1000+ under invoice so price was $31,900 (KBB/Edmunds invoiced it at $33,350 and Carsdirect $33,619) for premium package, heat/vent seats, full size spare, preferred accessory package, rear airbags, bluetooth, wood and leather steering wheel.

Good Deal.

I happened to stop by another Lexus dealer due to some personal business in another area of the bay and while there, the first dealer called me and told me that the car I wanted was sold so I'd have to pick a different color and I had to buy it by the end of the day because they were ending the deal. I happened to be chatting with the General Sales Manager of dealer #2 when this happened, I told dealer #1 to hold a second, explained my circumstances to the GM, who promptly stated he had the color I wanted and would knock another $400 off the price. He also informed me that dealer #1 had misinformed me about the options on the vehicle. I questioned dealer #1 who stated that the vehicle they had did have the options they quoted me. About 2 minutes later, dealer #1 called back and apologized as the vehicle did not have the options I was quoted on but that the price was the same and all of a sudden, my color was available again. I told them that since the last call, I had an offer $400 below their price and in the color I wanted, but offered them the deal as they had the most time in. However, they refused, got upset and hung up on me.

Final price for the above described vehicle, including the destination charge, came out to $31,500 on December 30, 2008 at Dealer #2.
  • autojavaautojava Member Posts: 3
    Could you give me the dealershio name? also, does it is 2008 ES 350 or 2007 model? If possible, could you give more information about the options, MSRP, and color? I am at Bay area, and try to buy one also. Thanks very much.
  • jay04jay04 Member Posts: 1
    That's a great price. Never heard anyone getting it so low. What was your out the door price with all fee and taxes?
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    WOW!!! Great price.............but can you tell us whether you had a trade in, other fees, miles on the car and also if you were given the special finance rate of 5.59%. Thanks in advance.
    Car I Bought
    2008 Lexus ES350 (4 miles on car when I took it for a test drive/11 when I signed the contract)

Premium Package includes leather trim w/memory drivers seat, outside mirrors, power tilt/telescoping wheel all tied to two different key fobs for seperate drivers

Leather Heated/Vent Seats
    Rear Air Bags
    Full Size Spare
    Bluetooth
    Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
    Preferred Accessory Package (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks)

MSRP Before Options: $33,720
    MSRP w/Options $37,700

Color: Smokey Granite Mica with Black Leather

Price:

$31,500
    $ 55 doc prep
    $ 2,603 tax
    $ 28 DMV Electronic Filing Fee
    $ 205 License
    $ 42 Registration
    $ 8 CA tire fees
    $ 12 Smog

$34,454 out the door

No Trade In Vehicle. Earlier in the week I was offered very low trade in amounts for two cars I was replacing with this one. Put them on Craigslist at reasonable prices, but well above the trade in offered, and sold both in 5 days netting $10,000 more then the trade in offered. Yes, I couldnt believe it either, but it is true. Had both certified checks in my account by Saturday afternoon, right before I was dropped off by the buyer of my other car at the Lexus Dealer.

This was a once in a lifetime deal I'm afraid and I don't think you will find it again as the dealerships were all scrambling to meet their end of year goals. Especially at the dealership I happened to be at. Even more surprising to people when I tell them this story, is that I bought the Car at Lexus of Marin. In order to achieve their high status with Lexus, they needed to sell 12 more cars by the end of the year. i just happened to walk in ready to buy when they were racing around selling cars to keep the dealership in it's elite lexus status. Lexus Pleasanton was the first dealer and was very cordial and helpful, and I would have paid the extra $500 to them, had they not sold the color I wanted.

Also, for those of you with over $730 FICA Scores, Lexus is/was offering an unadvertised 5.59% interest rate. The only place I found it was by clicking the incentives link after pricing the car in Edmunds. Pleaseant Lexus was unaware of the special and couldn't offer me that low of financing, but Marrin Lexus was more then willing to give it to me, though my bank is a 10th of a percent lower and I will end up with them.
    Though I am sure this was a once in a lifetime deal, I can let you all know that Lexus of Marin was the best dealership I ever worked with. I have bought many luxury cars, and this was the easiest transaction of my life. No back and forth with the salesmen, the GM and I stood on the showroom and agreed upon the price in under 3 minutes. He also agreed to finance me at a rate that I quoted him that was below that offered by Lexus as I told him I had paperwork showing a lower rate then 5.59%. When the finance people said it was 5.59%, he said, "I dont care, I already promised him the lower rate." I checked my paperwork and I was wrong and the finance manager was right. I was so pleased with the GM that I immediatly told him I was wrong on my quote, and that since he was so good to me and easy to work with, I'd agree to the 5.59% as, fair is fair.

From the time I walked in the door, till the time I left with the new car, I was only in the dealership about 1.45 hours, and throughout the time, they made sure as was comfortable and being taken care of. Car was prepped, detailed, and gone over with me and I was out the door.

Wether you get this deal or not, Lexus Marin has my full appreciation and respect.
  • sicom007sicom007 Member Posts: 46
    Can you please send me the contact details of the person at Marin Lexus who handled your deal. I want to contact him and see what is the best deal he can do for me on a 2008 ES350.

my email sicom007@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
  • mha63mha63 Member Posts: 4
    On Dec. 31, 2007, I purchased and will be picking it up either today or tomorrow a 2008 ES350 with the following:

Black Sapphire Pearl - cashmere interior
    Ultimate Luxury Package
    NAV/Mark Levinson
    Parking Assist
    Preferred Accessory Package
    All Weather Mats

The price was $40K, before taxes and title/tags/etc. I have been guarenteed that the title/tags/etc would not exceed $155. Lexus is matching a loan quote of 5% that I got through USAA.
  • brucepbrucep Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, first post here now that I am a happy owner of the 350 (so far). I purchases the 350 with the Premium package, and the accessories such as trunk net. The one seriously disappointing part of the buying experience was that you really are stuck with the 3 packages they offer, you can't add things like the rear sun shade.

MSRP Before Options: $33,720
    MSRP w/Options $37,700

Color: Smokey Granite Mica with Black Leather

I paid $33,000 including dealer delivery fees, but not including DMV fees and tax. This was from Westminister Lexus in Orange County.
  • charlieliucharlieliu Member Posts: 80
    Has Lexus ever offered any incentives?
  • mvr1234mvr1234 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and am looking at purchasing an ES 350. The dealerships here don't seem to want to deal much. Has anyone had any luck or are you aware of any other dealership in Ohio that will deal.
  • ylee4ylee4 Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me dealer's name and phone number or email address?
    My e-mail is leeyoon0471@hotmail.com
    Thank you.
  • luvlexusluvlexus Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased the 2008 es 350 with premium package plus rear seat side airbags, bluetooth audio, preferred accessory package, full size spare, and wood and leather steering wheel
    MSRP 37160 Dealer Invoice 33265
    I got it for 600 over invoice at 33865 plus admin fee for lease of 600 for total cap cost of 34,465.
    This is in Florida.
    How did negotiate this deal?
  • tuneguystuneguys Member Posts: 3
    I read this thread extensively before buying my 2007 ES350 last spring, but nowhere did anyone mention their experience with the Navigation System. I know this forum is for another topic, but if you don't search specifically for info on the Nav System you might not know it is a very pretty, but very bad system . It has one positive feature; its wonderful touch display.

BUT... first and worst, its inputs are all disabled above 6 mph including dialing by Bluetooth, entering a destination, and changing a destination. If you think its voice recognition system will substitute I'll tell you that the voice recognition system has not once understood a spoken street name in many, many tries. You can not enter or change a destination until you pull over, period. This really sucks.

Its database, in spite of purportedly being larger than any other, cannot find addresses my much older, bottom-of-the-line Garmin can.

There is no function to go direct to a city without putting in an address. You'll want to do this all the time on a trip.

If you enter a street number it doesn't know it just sits there making you guess over and over until you enter a good number, rather than telling you the range it knows as does the Garmin.

The only time I used it the POI database took me to FOUR pizza restaurants before I found one still in business.

I would strongly advise you skip the Lexus Nav System, primarily because the way they have allowed their lawyers to convince them we cannot drive and touch a screen at the same time. This thing turns into a $2,400 lump of greyed-out buttons above 6 mph. In many cases pulling over is more dangerous than programming while you drive.

If you need a nav system buy a Garmin. If you insist on a built-in unit, buy an Acura which is programmable underway. If you doubt what I say, Google will find you plenty of dissatisfied buyers.

I hope this helps you keep from wasting $2400 like I did. This thing makes me so mad I now refuse to hit I Agree to make it work. By the way, Lexus requires you to agree to obey all traffic laws in order to use their navigation system. Huh?
  • jmatggjmatgg Member Posts: 2
    Which dealer in Florida as I am looking to lease in Florida as well?
    Thanks.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    Hey everyone, I plan on buying a loaded 2008 ES350 in the next few weeks.
    Norcal dealers are notorious for inflating prices (due to the wealth and demand for luxury cars here). I could use some advice regarding strategy on getting a great price. I already read that Marin Lexus is a good place to try. I still don't know what price I should aim for. I would appreciate some advice

Ultra-Luxury Package
    Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Surround Sound Package
    Intuitive Parking Assist
    XM radio

MSRP $45,201
    INVOICE $38,938

colors I am considering:

saphire pearl,
    aquamarine
    metalic red

additional options:

Spoiler
    Cargo Matt
    17" Sport Wheels
    Rear bumper applique
    black floormats for my cashmere interior
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    techman,

On an Ultra Luxury, shoot for $500 - $750 over. No harm at starting negotiations at or below invoice, though. Remember, there will be a regional ad fee of ~ $500 on the factory invoice. So, don't be alarmed when their factory invoice does not match an invoice you pulled off the Internet. Just FYI.

Good Luck!
    Hey techman,

Do your homework before you go in so that they know you are an educated buyer. I bought the consumers report that gave me the breakdown of the cost of the optional equipment. It told me what the dealer paid and what the MSRP price was. I think you can find the same info on edmunds for free. Shop around and compare prices - don't commit to the first good price you get. and of course read this board - it has a ton of good info!

Good luck!
  • luvlexusluvlexus Member Posts: 2
    I got this deal at Lexus of Orlando. I also added the chrome wheels.

I told them I had done my research and I knew that they would be making a profit on $600 over invoice and they accepted it.
    Hi tuneguys -
    I am not impressed with the navigation system either. I thought it was just me because I had not read the instruction manual carefully or maybe misunderstood what I read! NOW I know I am not totally ignorant! I have been very frustrated trying to put in addresses it will accept etc... We bought our kids Garmin navigation systems for Christmas and I think I should have asked Santa to bring me one, too!
  • sotampacanesotampacane Member Posts: 6
    I just leased an '08 ES350 from Wilde in Sarasota for $580 per month including tax with first month, tax tag title and acquisition fee (total was about $1,300). I hate paying fees like that, but since all the dealers seemed to have this, and the price was below what I'd have been willing to pay, I decided just to pay it rather than bleed it in over the 36 months.

I got the premium plus package and navigation. MSRP was about 42,300 and the price paid was 37,600. I was told the residual was 57%. I was very happy with this dealership because they offered me this price via email with -0- haggling, and also offered 484 for a 4 year deal which I strongly considered, but since I'm very fickle after 2 years, I was fine with taking the 3.

I also got e-mail quotes from Lexus of Tampa Bay, who quite frankly are inflexible and unrealistic (not to mention a bit insulting). They started at 734 for a 3 year lease with $1,000 down and when I told them that price was more than I was paying for my 5 series BMW they came down to $704 as an EOM concession. Clearwater started at $689 and told me that it was there "best deal". When I told them I didn't understand how they got to that price with the residual they quoted, they came back with 656. When I told them that I had a much better deal, neither of them replied.

Wilde was outstanding. The paperwork tool less than 20 minutes. It's a bit of a drive from Tampa, but well worth it from my perspective.
    Sales for ES350 in Jan 2008 was down by almost 18% compared to Jan 2007 but 37% less than last year's average (83,000 units were sold last year which is close to 6,900 units sold per month on an average).
    Are buyers less interested in buying ES350 or just the economy? I think it is the economy as most of the cars posted negative growth. Any comments?
  • charlesbcharlesb Member Posts: 43
    The economy is bad and that would effect luxury cars across the board but I think the fact that Consumers Reports has said Lexus ES350 is below the industry average on reliability has to hurt sales too. Rock solid reliability has been a touchstone of the Lexus experience since day one. Comparing the current Lexus ES to the previous model it has undergone a truly precipitous drop in reliability. And this is everything from creaks and rattles to the transmission flaring that has lots filled with Certified Used ones. (Read: Former :lemon: )

In my opinion, the bundling (some might say bungling) of the Mark Levinson audio exclusively with the Nav is another mistake by Toyota too. The Nav is weak and the ML is great, you shouldn't have to take them together. I will never buy another built in NAV again, given the pace at which the Garmin (et al) continue to improve. Nothing turns buyers, even "luxury buyers", off faster than getting force fed a pricey option with what should be a relatively inexpensive one. Remember when the Europeans used to put the Xenons into $4,000 bundles. And people paid it.

Ultra Luxury is a cool package but I can't swallow taking the Nav as part of the deal...to the tune of ~$10,000. That is nuts. Try to find "ultra luxury w/ no nav" anywhere. I'm not even sure they make them.

Aesthetically the current Lexus ES is a homerun, far and away more attractive than the two versions that preceded it. Performance wise it sets a new benchmark for the line as well. So I think economy, reliability and poorly thought out (or just downright greedy) option packaging would be my top three reasons for the ES's abysmal sales.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I've been a Toyota fan for over 20 years, but my two current Toyotas have been a disappointment. Currently we have a 05 Tundra limited and a 06 Highlander limited.
    I find that the Toyota dealers are getting downright obnoxious with their take it or leave it attitude and my current vehicles have not been problem free.
    The paint is just plain terrible-stone chips everywhere. Our third car, a 97 Caddy STS with 92,000 on the clock has much better paint, but has had some reliability issues. The Toyota navigation system was designed by a moron, or by somebody that thinks I am a moron. I turned my factory Highlander system off and use a Garmin 660-at least it will accept my address!
    I'd like your honest appraisal of the dealers: Do they treat you like a king and bill you accordingly? Is the Lexus paint quality and nav design better than the Toyota?
    I am shopping for a ES350 with PM. What price should I offer to dealers? Is invoice price insulting? If yes, how much over invoice should I offer? Appreciate all feedbacks.
    I just noticed that we became member on the same day - Apr 13, 2001.
    I do not like the navigation system at all - not worth the extra money you have to pay for it. I have not had problems with the paint on my car, but I just took delivery in August. I have seen other people complain on this board about the paint being 'thin' on their ES350.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Everyone that signed up previous to April 13, 2001, shows that as their join date...

Sorry..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I have an 07 350 and the paint job is pathetic - in the right light near the front bumper on the hood, you can see where it drooled when they were spraying it along with some other uneven areas. While I don't have any pitting because I have a clear bra, the paint job is much worse than the 02 300 I had...when I bought that one the salesman pointed out that it had many many coats of paint (can't remember how many - maybe he was BS'ing me), but I do know that I never waxed it once and it always looked terrific.
    Quality of Lexus has diminished - fit & finish is quite poor compared to my G35X - I wouldn't buy another Lexus. For now my business goes to Infiniti.
    Z
    I agree with Z. ES350 has it's share of issues like paint, rattles/squeaks, poor fit and finish. However, I recommend 2008 ES350 over G if you are looking for luxury vehicle and not sporty. G is fast and you will feel connected to the road while ES is quiet and more spacious. ES is also more fuel efficient and has some features that G does not have. Z has both G and ES350 and has outlined the pros and cons in his previous discussion, that might give you some info.
  • ekndyekndy Member Posts: 3
    Please send me an email to edkennedy57@yahoo.com and let me know the salesperson that you dealt with at Lexus of Orlando. Thank you very much.
  • charlesbcharlesb Member Posts: 43
    That is a strange coincidence. :) 13.04.2001 a day that will live in infamy.

Paint durability (as opposed to the appearance which is (generally) very good, especially on the Lexus cars) is poor because the water soluble paints used (for environmental reasons) now don't hold up to chipping very well. Of course, all the steel is galvanized so at least it doesn't rust.

Lexus paint chips just like Toyota paint and in most cases it is the very same paint with a different name. The chips are just part of the deal on modern cars and that fact has spawned the clear bra industry to the heights it currently enjoys.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    It does not surprise me one bit that ES350 sales are declining. I have an 05 ES330 coming off lease next month. I'm paying $417 a month and I put down only $600 up front. That included tax, acq. etc.and it's well equipped. Looking at a comparable ES350, it's not anywhere close to that. Of course I would expect to pay a bit more due to higher MSRP etc, but we're not even talking the same league. Lexus doesn't seem to want to be competitive in leasing again. I just got a quote on an S80...MSRP $42,600...$2000 down, and $379 a month OTD. ES350 with a lower MSRP won't come close to that! Consider this, plus the problems we all know exist with this car (the transmission hesitation has annoyed me since I got this car) and it's no surprise sales of this vehicle are down.
    I read an article that says the "Consumer Report baseline price" for this car is $29,311 that is over 600 lower than the invoice price. Consumer Report also says there is dealer holdback on this car. Does anyone here know how much the holdback is?

Thanks.
    I forgot to mention that the insurance for G is more than the ES and G has it's own share of problems as the ES.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I disagree in my case - my new, completely loaded G35X was actually $35 less per 6 mos than the same coverage on my 350. No accidents/tickets and credit ratings are also part of insurance costs in my state.
    Z
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Lexus "holds back" 2% of the base MSRP and another 1% of the base MSRP called "wholsale financial reserve". Basically 3%, so roughly $1k to work with if you want to try and negotiate into their holdback & wfr.
    I agree, it depends on state, insurance company guidelines, credit scores, tickets, etc. but what I have read in various websites (different states) and in my personal experience, G costs more to insure than ES. Also, there was an article few months back on yahoo and other websites that the expense to repair a G will be very high if the car is rear ended. May be this all ties into the insurance cost, I don't know.
    ocautoseeker,

Thanks for the info. I guessed it's 2% because I see the difference betwee CR baseline price and Edmunds dealer invoice price is about 656. Does Lexus dealer has TDA fee (Toyota Dealer Advertise) on their invoice? Some dealer told me yes. Some told me no. I live in NJ. Any idea. anybody?
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    charlieliu - Holdback on a Lexus is 2% of Base MSRP (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html). What dealer in NJ are you working with? If you need more help, please feel free to email me.