Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Interior and Dashboard

Comments

• cleslie2006cleslie2006 Member Posts: 10
    I HAVE A 2002 GMC SIERRA EXT CAB WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT WAS CAUSING THE WATER TO GET INSIDE THE TRUCK? IF SO PLEASE EMAIL ME AT CARLKIM@BELLSOUTH.NET AND I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU ON SOME OTHER PROBLEMS YOUR HAVING. I HAVE LEARNED A LOT ABOUT THIS TRUCK SINCE I PURCHASED IT IN OCTOBER 2001 EVEN THOUGH IT'S A 2002 YEAR MODEL. THANK YOU, CARL
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE THE INDICATOR BULBS FOR THE INSTRUMENT (GAUGE) CLUSTER? I NEED THE SMALL ONES THAT SHOW THE EMERGENCY BRAKE, CHECK ENGINE, ETC. THERE ARE ONLY TWO SIZES ON THE CLUSTER. I ALSO NEED THE BULB ASSEMBLY FOR THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND THE OTHER BUTTONS AROUND IT. I KNOW THEY'RE IN DIFFERENT BODIES BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.THANK YOU, CARL LESLIE EMAIL CARLKIM@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have a 93 Silverado and the AC has gone out. Has anyone had any experience with this happening to them? I was wondering if it was related to the electronics.
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM OVER AND OVER, THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH LOCATED IN THE LEFT REAR CORNER (WHEN LOOKING AT THE TRUCK FROM THE FRONT) IT IS DEFECTIVE, TO MY KNOWLEDGE THEY HAVE NOT ISSUED A BULLETIN ON IT BUT THEY HAD TO REPLACE MINE AT LEAST 4 OR 5 TIMES, BEFORE THEY FINALLY FOUND A NEW ONE TO REPLACE IT WITH. GO TO THE DEALER AND ASK IF ANY SERVICE BULLETINS HAVE BEEN ISSUED ON THIS LOW PRESSURE SWITCH. IF IT JUST WENT TO HOT OR WARM, THIS IS PROBABLY THE PROBLEM.WHEN MINE STARTED GOING IN AND OUT, IT DID THAT FOR A WHILE AND THEN IT JUST WENT TO NO AIR CONDITIONER AT ALL, AND ALL THE SWITCHES THEY PUT ON WERE DEFECTIVE ALSO. BUT THEY FINALLY FOUND A NEWER PART THAT FIXED IT AND IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR OVER 90,000 MILES NOW. YOU CAN CHECK THIS BY MAKING A JUMPER WIRE AND UNPLUGGING THE SWITCH AND USING THE JUMPER AND IF THE COMPRESSOR CLICKS ON, YOU KNOW IT'S THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I FORGOT, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE A/C ON WHEN YOU USE THE JUMPER WIRE......YOU PROBABLY KNEW THAT, BUT JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE. THANKS, CARL
  • rideawayrideaway Member Posts: 1
    My gas gauge jumps when I use the turn signals and hazards. The needle movement (bouncing, flicking) is greater when the tank is fuller. It's a 1997 GMC 1500 Savana. Also want to mention that the Volt guage slightly twiches with the signals turned on. The typical volt readout is between 12.5-14 volts. Higher volts show up when it is colder out and drops to the lower range with hotter weather. Does anyone have any ideas of the failure component?
  • rickm5rickm5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 gmc sierra 4x4 4.8 the ignition switch is stuck it wont turn when i put the key in. the steering wheel should be in the lock position but its not locked. if some one out there has a solution please help....thanx
  • bombadeebombadee Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the dash panel on a 1999 sierra 1500 so I can get at the instrument lights behind the speedo and tacho.
    Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Remove the trim that goes around the cluster. You will have to lower the shift knob and steering wheel. Begin by prying the top left corner nearest the door. Once that is removed you will see several screws that hold in the cluster. Remove the screws and unplug the cluster.
  • claymclaym Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to replace the panel lights for the A/C buttons? I have an '02 Silverado. The dealer said the whole A/C control panel would have to be replaced.
  • willyprwillypr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a nice 95 Silverado extended cab pickup and am looking to replace the bucket seats with a bench seat to handle 3 passengers up front. Anyone know of options besides going to the dealer and paying around $1400 ?

Thanks
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Easiest place to go would be a junk yard. Even if you had to get the seat recovered it would only cost $300 or so. The dealer would be the last place I'd look.
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    Word of caution an erratic fuel gage is a signal of dirty fuel filter/fuel pump drawing too many amps and will soon fail. My fuel did back flips for about a year before the pump failed.

Towing bill Truck $75
    Towing bill Trailer $40
    Rescue Pickup by Girl Friend $30
    Assistant to drop tank $40
    Fuel sender Module $300
    Fuel Filter $ 9.00

Time to Drain/Drop tank 3 hrs.

For sure in the future I will be changing my $9 fuel filter at 50k or less.
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    forgot to add
    4 - 5 gallon gas cans $38.00 apx
  • jake352jake352 Member Posts: 1
    I need to install an amp to hook up to a Sub. i need to know how to take off the dashboard to get to the back of the radio and to get to the electrical port so i can lead wires from the inside to the battery.
  • 944vhv944vhv Member Posts: 1
    I need to take the 6 disc out and get it fixed, is this a hard job and is the disc changer removeable by its self. Thanks
  • gmworldgmworld Member Posts: 1
    We have 2009 Silverado work trucks that we want to have the LT style center console with lid. Has anyone done this and do you have to change the seats?
  • fbronco86fbronco86 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a new body style 07 gmc ext cab truck. After a good heavy rain my carpet will be soaked in the drivers and pass floor boards. Water will be pooling up in the rear floor boards. I park my truck front up hill on my driveway. The dealer says they can not find the leak? Anyone else having this issue.
    I HAVE A 2002 GMC SIERRA EXTENDED CAB SPORTS SIDE P/U. IT HAS THE 5.3 LITER V/8 AND I SPECIAL ORDERED THIS TRUCK AND HAD A SPECIAL UPGRADED SUSPENSION UNDER IT FOR TOWING. I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE BACK PASSENGERS FLOOR GETTING WET AFTER RAINS. I HAVE BEEN IN THE BACK SEAT AND WENT THROUGH ONE OF THEM TOUCHLESS CAR WASHES AND I CANNOT FIND ANY LEAKS OR SIGNS OF LEAKS, BUT IT DOES LEAK AND GET THE PASSENGER FLOOR CARPET WET WHEN RAINING. THE DEALER SAID THE SAME THING, THEY COULD NOT FIND THE LEAK, AND SAID I MUST HAVE LEFT THE WINDOWS DOWN A LITTLE. I SAID I DON'T LEAVE MY WINDOWS OPEN EVERY TIME IT RAINS. THERE IS SOME KIND OF DEFECT IN THE GMC SIERRA'S FROM 2002 THRU 2007. THEY JUST DON'T WANT TO ADMIT IT DUE TO THE RECALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO ON 6 OR 7 YEARS OF TRUCKS. I'M SURE THE SILVERADO'S HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, BECAUSE THEY'RE THE SAME TRUCK WITH DIFFERENT INTERIORS AND SOME COSMETIC DIFFERENCES OUTSIDE, BUT THEY HAVE THE EXACT FRAMES AND BODY'S.
  • bgmc08bgmc08 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 GMC Sierra The fuel gauge does not read correctly Took it to the dealer and said that it was a problem on quite a few of these trucks They replaced the sending unit and after about a week it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem. I filled the tank and parked the truck and the next time I took it for a ride it showed 1/2 tank
  • dgrimmettdgrimmett Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Silverado HD doing the same thing. Did you find the problem?????
    I am thinking it is probably the BCM or a defective ground somewhere.
  • blackpacific1blackpacific1 Member Posts: 27
    I have a vintage 1993 Chevy Blazer K1500 that still runs like a sewing machine after 235K miles. But today, the temp gage failed high. That is, it reads off the high side of the gage even with the engine is stone cold, ignition switch on or off. The computer has stored a code "15". I followed the Haynes manual recommendation to remove the glovebox and wiggle the connectors to the computer, no change. I unplugged the engine coolant sensor connector, no change. Do I have an open or a short? I hate electrical issues. I was planning on replacing the coolant sensor, which may happen tomorrow, but I fear the problem resides somewhere behind the instrument cluster. has anyone in this forum encountered a bad gage problem like this one
  • blackpacific1blackpacific1 Member Posts: 27
    I purchased a temp sensor, but the connector had a different pin arrangement. I took it back to the auto parts store who showed me that the 350 TBI has two coolant temp sensors, one for the computer, and one for the gages. The one close to the thermastat is for the computer, while the one tucked back near the firewall is reserved for the gages. I'm going to replace that one tonight.
  • sheila246sheila246 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Chevrolet 4x4 Z71. 2 weeks ago it started acting up when I had it in 4 wheel drive because of the ice storm we had, every light in the dash would flash on and off and the gauges would jump back an forth or spin completely around. We changed the whole cluster and it done the same thing, and now it has quit completely. what is causing this?
  • sheila246sheila246 Member Posts: 2
  • tngolfnuttngolfnut Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I also have a 99 gmc sierra slt with the same problem, passenger seat moves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch every time I brake or accelrate. Have you been able to fix it and if so, how did you fix it? Does any body have a solution to this problem?
    Thanks
    Robert.
  • glock2glock2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have just bought a 2007 Sierra crew cab and found after a heavy rain the front passenger floor completely soaked after it rained. Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I have 38,000 miles on the vehicle. Would this still be covered by GM as it appears to be a design/quality issue
    Please advise
    Thanks
  • modified80modified80 Member Posts: 2
  • modified80modified80 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '03 Sierra knowing the air bag light was on. I found out it's the air bag clock spring. There was front end work done and the rack and pinion was replaced. The book said you can't turn the wheel unhooked. I believe that this is what happened. I took the back off the clock spring and the connections had been broken off. Is this repairable by soldering or does it have to be replaced. The dealer wants a mint. Any suggestions, also for a cheaper one if I have to replace it?
  • szymasszymas Member Posts: 8
    Did you ever find out the problem? I have the same exact problem with my silverado and the dealer cannot figure out what it is..

Thanks!
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    We just acquired a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado that didn't come with the power windows or door locks. Has anyone here had experience adding these with one of the kits from Ebay or buying parts from a salvage truck and retrofitting them? Do the models without the pw and pdl still have the wiring harness and plug in the door interior? I know that would almost be too much to hope for, but often, GM had wiring for options that weren't used and they were there, often tucked up into the dash, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    I replaced one on my Dad's truck. It was uber easy. Got the part from a GM place online very inexpensively ,takes maybe five minutes to replace, just pry it out, unlplug the wiring harnesses and replace the process, popping the mirror back posts into the holes in the mirror interior. Really simple. My mechanic, who is really usually very inexpensive, wanted, I think $60.00 dollars to do the job. Seriously, less than five minutes and if you have ever done it before, probably four minutes :-0 Good luck.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    You're talking about the side view mirror on the right? And not the rear view mirror on the windshield? It's that easy? :surprise:
    Yes it's that easy. One small triangular panel to pop off. One wire harness to swap. and one nut to remove and replace.
  • rcnoblercnoble Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chev Silv 1500 x-cab with the 5.3L vortek engine. Recently and only on occasion while driving, with or without the cruise on, battery light flashes on dash in message center, speedometer jumps around, airbag light flashes and abs light flashes. This only lasts for about 1 to 3 seconds. Truck doesn't run bad or differently while this is happening. Any ideas what's going on? I've seen other posts about gauges, but not this particular issue.
  • revkalrevkal Member Posts: 2
    Radio button lights started going out, now speedo and dash lights are gone too. Shift display is still lit and turn signals work but no others. Just happened out of the blue. Battery is good, fuses are good - any ideas?
  • revkalrevkal Member Posts: 2
    There is a recall on this which is mileage dependent. It is a common occurrence among GM trucks
  • jmajajmaja Member Posts: 2
  • jmajajmaja Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Silverado. When the headlights are turned on, there are no dash lights but the flasher indicators illuminate steady on (but tail lights luckily don't flash). When the headlights are turned off, at least the flasher indicator lights go off. The dimmer still dims the radio and shifter lights. I replaced the headlight/dimmer switch, problem remained. I have disconnected the radio and checked all the fuses and still no change. Any ideas where/what else to check?
  • akgmtechakgmtech Member Posts: 2
    Iv seen this problem alot its 99% of the time the third brake light, iv replaced plenty on the new body style. for some reason the seals on them fail, and iv see some that have had bubbles in the glue they use to put the back glass in, but yours sounds like its the third brake light.
  • akgmtechakgmtech Member Posts: 2
    Its your third brake light
  • telliwatchertelliwatcher Member Posts: 1
    my lights are burning out on dash and radio.can they be changed and how?
    THIS IS THE BEST SITE, THEY REPLACE THE COMPLETE BOARD AND ALL LIGHTS
    WITH BRAND NEW BULBS. MINE WORKS GREAT, AND IT'S CHEAP AND FAST TOO.

radios@replacementradios.com

THANKS,
    CARL LESLIE
  • tmgusa4evertmgusa4ever Member Posts: 1
    Try LMC Truck.com. if they do not have the right color for the compartment door they will have interior paint to match.
  • oldsettlersoldsettlers Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I have a 2000 Chevy 1500. Recently the dash lights have started going out when the headlights come on. Everything goes black except the shift selector. If I turn the dome light on they come on. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Jennifer
    THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, AND I HAD TO REPLACE THE HEADLIGHT/DIMMER SWITCH UNIT AND IT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.
    IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I REPLACED IT, SO I CAN'T REMEMBER
    IF I PURCHASED IT FROM FROM THE DEALERSHIP OR ON EBAY,BUT IT WAS BRAND NEW
    BUT IT WASN'T THAT MUCH AND IS EASY TO REPLACE.THANKS,CARL
  • oldsettlersoldsettlers Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply Carl......just to be clear, you're talking about the headlight dimmer....the turn signal arm itself....and not the dash light dimmer that is on the dash?

My windshield washer motor/pump is not working either. That makes me wonder....since it is on the turn signal arm also. But, I haven't had time to troubleshoot that problem yet so it may just be the pump.

Thanks for the help.

Jennifer
  • brachbrach Member Posts: 4
    2002 2500 HD and the speedo doesnt work. everything else does. Do I need to replace the whole cluster?