Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars You Hate/Cars You Would Kill

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Thanks for the follow-up. Looks like your spending more time than I am away from working (unless of course you're off today). ;)

Regarding your last question, the SE has a cross brace to stiffen up the car, and the XLE has reclining seats like those on the current Avalon. In neither model do the seats fold down (unlike the CE, LE, and Hybrid).
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I don't think Yaris has anything over Echo in the efficiency department. The new Civics are worse than the old ones, and the Fit's mpgs are nothing to write home about.

It would help if they'd quit making cars bigger and heavier all the time. You could probably get 50 mpg out of the Yaris engine if you put it in an AE86. Meeting US bumper and crash standards adds 2-300 pounds to a car all by itself, and tuning engines for low emissions also hurts the mileage.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,766
    I wish I could find someone to bet me money on the fact that GM will screw up a good thing with the Astra.

I think they already screwed it up with the name. Are they actually going to use that tired old name that was the rebadged Vega? What did the marketing department get paid for that decision?
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,052
    to market a car name that begins with the "[non-permissible content removed]-" sound, anyway! :P
  • harrycheztharrychezt Posts: 405
    and it says here, it was the Pontiac Lemans, at one time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Astra
    The Pontiac Vega was called the "Astre." Right, Andre? :)
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "Honda may be marketing the Element to trendy Generation Y surfer dude/dudette types, but in fact it's quite popular among senior citizens."

I was 23 years old when Honda put the Element out on the market. My reaction to when the Element first came out was like 20 somethings are not going to buy this. I don;t consider myself generation Y even though I do have some why Y in me(hate to admit.)

Young people buy people buy Honda Civics, Ford Mustang's, Mazda 3's and 6's not Elements.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Well Honda and Toyota have to upgrade HP each time they indroduce a new generation of a paricular model. I guess Honda and Toyota has to kind of find a happy medium between the most HP that they get out of their engines and resonable fuel miledage figures.

"The new Civics are worse than the old ones, and the Fit's mpgs are nothing to write home about."

Well the Civic gained some HP for the new 06 model over the 05 model so thats probably the reason for the fuel mileadge downfall of the Civic.

I like too to see fuel mileadge gains industry wide but with HP increasing industry wise those fuel mileadge figures get harder to increase.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    ..."Cars everyone else hates but you love" as a sub-topic?

I have a total soft spot in my heart for the recent Mercury Cougar hatchback. I like the styling, that it's a hatchback, that the spoiler was always optional and that Mercury for once offered something unique. I know it didn't stack up against its competition and the automotive press without exception panned it, but there's just something about it that appeals to me. :blush:
  • harrycheztharrychezt Posts: 405
    I concur.
    I saw one recently(of course, it is an old-er model, since they no longer make the Mercury Cougar/hatch) in town.
    It did look good.

I like hatchbacks, especially 3 doors.

I wonder if Ford is seriously considering building the Reflex, from the autoshow(forgot if it was Detroit or Chicago).

I know that the Scion tC, it sold nearly 75,000 units in 05(3 door).
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I think the only people who hate the last Cougar are fans of the old lux-o-barge Cougars. I see a few of them around here and they are nice-looking cars. They carry the "Arts & Science" look much better than the Celica or CTS do. Build quality and engineering wasn't so hot, though (Ford really botched the Mondeo-Contour translation).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    I agree. While I liked the styling a lot the build quality was not the greatest. The dash board had plastic so thin that beer cup manufacturers would be ashamed. For some reason when a European car comes here we try to make it as cheap as possible. Not a good idea. I'm all for a re incarnation of the late 60's Cougar. The Mustang should be the donor for the car.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Yaris, Fit, Prius killed off because they are unsafe and kids don't have a choice to ride in them. ;)

Rocky
    Hey Rock,

The Prius weighs 2890 pounds, about the same as my '80 Volvo 240 2-door. Not exactly a small car!
    All battery. Well they are small in shape. Would you want to take on a DTS in a head on collision at 70 mph ? I know I wouldn't and feel these super small cars should be banned for crash safety reasons. ;)

Rocky
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    If you give me a Cadillac I'll get rid of my compact. I'll be happy, you'll be happy... let's do it!
    Come-on carlismo you and I both know you can afford a bigger car than a sardine can. A Carolla is a big step up and can be baught for $13K ;)

Rocky
    But some sardine cans are fun! Some of us would rather drive a 1983 Corolla GT-S than a new one.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,052
    I can think of a couple I would like to drive. The Mini Cooper and the Smart Twofor as sold in Canada. I would be real hesitant to take either onto a CA freeway. After driving a new loaner Accent, I would not have one if given to me. I took the long way home to avoid the freeway. It just did not feel safe above 50 MPH. Echo, Aveo, Metro, Accent and a dozen other small cars should only be allowed on surface roads. NO freeway travel. They are the mopeds of the auto industry.
    I know what you mean. My old Tercel felt unsafe above 85 so I kept it below that.
    According to Wikipedia, the main battery pack in the current Prius weighs 45 kg (99 pounds). Less than you, I'm sure! ;)

No, I wouldn't want to run it head-on into a Cadillac DTS (just over 4000 lbs), but the same holds true for my Camrys (about 3200 lbs). In my view, there's a happy medium between efficiency and safety, and both the Prius and Camry are in my comfort zone.

Even the "small" Jetta has porked up to 3200 lbs.

BTW, I'm "letting" my son buy a Prius, with optional side airbags of course. (He's 28 years old, so he can really make his own decisions.) However, he and his wife live in New York City (Queens), and they still plan to take the subway to work in Manhattan.
  • patrockpatrock Posts: 5
    I hate/would kill anything boring! You know what I'm talking about.
    What cars would you consider boring ? Camcord ? They actually are adding a little spice into about every car nowdays.

Rocky
  • derrado1derrado1 Posts: 194
    I really want to hear people's opinions on some cars, such as:
    Buick Rendezvous
    Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable (1996-2000)
    Buick Skylark (1992-1995)
    Eagle Vision
    Chrysler Sebring Coupe
    Pontiac Montana (1997-2005)
    Saturn L-Series
    Saturn Relay

A bit random, yes, but I really would like to hear what you guys think about those cars.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,962
    If none of them ever existed, I wouldn't complain. Kind of a loser crew you've got with that list. Some less offensive than others (Eagle, Sebring, Saturn L) but none of them beauties or winners.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Skylark...it was such a strange-looking beast from modern-day Buick, and you could get it in a coupe to boot.

I like to think some designer in Buick was thinking "WWHD?" (What would Harley do?). Yeah, the result was less than an automotive sex symbol, but cool that Buick at least tried...

I'm sure though I'll get as much disbelief for this as I did when I said I liked the looks of its stable-mate, the Olds Acheiva... :blush:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    Buick Rendezvous - a less ugly Aztek.

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable (1996-2000)- Yuck! Looks like a catfish. The old style became sort of passe' by 1995, but this was no way to jazz up a somewhat dull car. It reminds me of the 2007 "pignose" Camry. Of course, Toyota can sell anything regardless of how ugly it is. Ford doesn't have that luxury.

Buick Skylark (1992-1995) - Loved the bold earlier design. Hated it after they toned it down.

Eagle Vision - liked it, but feared concerns about reliability.

Chrysler Sebring Coupe - Depends on which year. I hated the ones with the fake grille.

Pontiac Montana (1997-2005) - NO PONTIAC MINIVANS EVER! Minivans from the "excitement" division? "We Build Boredom!"

Saturn L-Series - "L" for LOSER!

Saturn Relay - least offensive of GM's "bottlenose" minivans.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175

Just spit up a cup of coffee after I saw this...
This discussion has been closed.