Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bigboss001bigboss001 Member Posts: 12
    Hi hal56,

June is probably more realistic for the US market. I read about May 5th on an Asian Lexus message board. European opened their order book in February prior to the Geneva Auto show. See http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/425384-rx450h-arrival.html.
  • ezjc1979ezjc1979 Member Posts: 4
    My lease on my 2006 Murano will be ending in September and I really like the RX 350. I would like to lease this car, but currently the monthly figures are just too high for me. Does anyone feel that the leasing programs will improve by September? I am hoping to get the base model with the premium package. Am I realistic in thinking that the pricing couold go as low as $510.00 per month with $2k down on a 39 month lease with 15K miles by then? Or am I just nuts?
  • ach8888ach8888 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, can anyone provide me with the residual and money factor lexus is offering on the RX350 with navigation? I got a selling price of 41,137 plus tax and license on the front wheel drive, is this a good deal. I am looking for a price for a all wheel drive, wondering how much more for an all wheel drive. Can someone help?
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    big boss--thanks for the club lexus link:

I am going to hold out for the 450h basically loaded except for rear entertainment (no kids)

I want the vehicle with higher milage cause in my heart I know the US will have less oil at its disposal in the future--I think Peak Oil will do it but it also could be political especially knowing china is cornering the market on natural resources.

I also think politically the current administration is going to force hi mileage green cars on us which wil include higher oil taxes.
  • bigboss001bigboss001 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Hal56,

I am in the same boat...waiting to see the 450h and if I can get a deal like these folks getting their RX350s, $4K below MSRP, I'll order one right away. I think you are right about the energy, I am with you 100%, the gas is going to go up when the economy is back up. I am getting the 450h to replace my wife's old RX300 which still runs great just I think she deserves something better. Besides I would like to have another new toy to play with...;-) Sorry about my comment on BMW vs Lexus loaners earlier(msg #2325). I am actually more a Bimmer guy than a Lexus guy with a heavy foot. How is your 335i cabrio? There is an excellent message board about Bimmers I visit all the time about my E92 M3 I thought you might be interested in...:
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/
    we looked at the x5 which is obviously a different kind of car. But the mileage was sub 20 and I think we would get 25 ish or more with rx450h

I think things are changing in the US and in a few years oil will not be as plentiful.

google peak oil to see the issues--Mexico has a field--Cantrell, which used to pump over 2 mil barrells a day till 2005--now sub 1 million and actually closer to 600k a day--china and India ramping up usage as they industrialize (you do not and will not see and cap and trade there so we are screwing ourselves royally when our competition uses coal extensively and nuclear extensively--

our country is already non competitive cost wise and it is gonna get worse.

we prob will see rationing in a couple of years--as well as much higher prices. I toyed with getting a smart car --a cheap hi mileage car

but my 335htc gets over 20 mpg but its small--so we needed a larger all purpose car and the RX450h seems to be the only one right now in that segment that gives great mileage and is high quality and safe.

Venza nice but does not get the mileage--MDX the same story--

on the payback issue--watch suv values drop again when gas gets to 5 bucks and its rationed--
    Bythe way--when i negotiate car deals I do not squeeze every dollar out of the dealer and saleman.

I find later on when I need something (like work done out of warranty) the dealer goes out of their way taking care of me. Or prioritizing my service or as what happened recently, my BMW dealer did a spring clean up detail at no charge. Just thanking me as a good customer. My partner receives the new nav disk each year just because..

so its worth it to work win win deals
  • sep2sep2 Member Posts: 9
    just purchased 42.700 love it so far. does anyone know if you can get the navtraffic and weather without the sirous radio. if so at what cost per month.
    thanks!!!
  • nb7920nb7920 Member Posts: 3
    Any one getting good deal in Chicago area ?
    Thanks
    Just got a quote of 41500 on an 2010 RX350 AWD with navigation, is this a good
    deal in orange county, california? Can someone help me out with a good lease on this selling price? Thanks
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What is the MSRP? Is there a trade involved? I assume the $41500 is without taxes, title, etc?
    no trade, of course, without taxes, title, and etc. msrp is 44500
  • houmihoumi Member Posts: 21
    I ended up getting the rx350 4wd (2010 model). bargained it from 46.5k to 44k, it has navigation, leather, ventilated/heat seat , etc and is black/black. I thought it had parking assist, but it doesn't but no biggie, but the rear view cam is neat nonetheless.

I traded in a 2001 camry with 60k miles. and bargained it upwards to 7k approximately.

and I bargained the apr from 6 -> 5%, I coulda probably done it lower on all three counts, but I really wanted it.

My experience was pretty nice with the dealer, nice people (don't understand the bad reviews people write), but overall it was great.
    There appears to be minimal inventories right now in Chicago so that makes negotiating tough--especially when the color and some options you want are not in stock.

I am a believer in supply and demand determing price. When the dealers have supply, the buyer rules--vice versa--when there is no inventory, the dealer rules.

As one salesman once told me--go buy a car nobody else wants--you will get a great price.

One way to find out is to play chicken with the dealer--if you are willing to walk and they let you--that is when you know you have the best price.

What part of Chicago are you in?

I am traveling the next 3-4 weeks--I am going to find dealers in the cities I am at and see what I can do--I wil be in South Florida next week which should be fertile as the snowbirds have gone home and there should be inventories and slow sales down there.
  • timtaniumtimtanium Member Posts: 6
    What dealership? I'm in Orange County and looking for a similar RX and even have a similar trade in.
  • sep2sep2 Member Posts: 9
    to hal56. i live in jacksonville and was very dissapointed they think they have a captive audience. so i went to miami and saved 17 hundred bucks, kendall west lexus. 45.700 msrp and bought for 42.700. plus taxes.
    I am in north side of Chicago, been told by one of slaes person who I known for while to wait few months.

Ya let us know the deal in Florida.

Thanks
    I am in Seattle (went to Bellevue Lexus)

As far as Chicago, since I lived there and bought our RX 2001 there, I'd recommend the Naperville location, but I think it's easier to get better deals in larger cities (more dealers to deal with and price compare and more car units), here in WA, choices are limited...
    Did the sales person know anything about possible incentives in a few months from Lexus Corporate or was the sales person assuming dealer discounts would increase then?
  • carbuyer_2009carbuyer_2009 Member Posts: 8
    just went to Lexus dealer to check out the new RX350, and noticed that most of the models don't come with HID headlamps anymore... (unlike on the previous generation). Did anyone notice this as well? Hard to believe that most of the new RX350 comes only with regular headlamps...
    Is it true that HID light is only available with the heads-up display package on this year's RX350? Thanks in advance!
    he was going what happened historically , first they don't have Inventory and second sales are way down for total dealership.
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    if anyone can comment on this for me.
    -
    I have been doing my homeworks on line regarding prices of 2010 RX 350 and I thought I felt very comfortable until after I visited a Lexus dealer today. I car I want is apprx $39k invoice and $43k MSRP according to Edmunds. however, the guy at dealer today showed me the actual invoice and their prices are pretty much the same as those on Edmunds; however, their invoice also show 3 other fees (advertise, financial and hold back...) which total over $1000. therefore, their invoice price for the same veh is slightly over $40k. For those have bought a RX 350, did you use Edmunds Invoice price as you guide ? apprx how much did you pay over/ under Edmunds invoice price ?

the particular one I want has the following options: RWD, Nav, Premium package, Wood trim, Ventilated seat (actually i also want parking assist but it only comes with luxury package).

all response are appreciated.
    I don't believe Edmunds includes advertising. I vaguely recall advertising being around $700, but I could be wrong. Cannot comment on the other two items. I personally think the best guide as to what you should pay is to review previous posts on this forum and by visiting several dealers or emailing dealers.
  • psu77psu77 Member Posts: 13
    I think the dealer misled you. Financial and hold back are credits that reduce the price the dealer pays. Financial is usually 1% of the base MSRP and reimburses the dealer for interest for carrying the car in inventory. Hold back is 2% of the base MSRP and is paid later (usually quarterly) by the manufacturer to the dealer.
    Hi Psu77. Your explanation to finanical and hold back is correct. that was how he explained to me as well; however, he said they are CHARGES that they have to incur / pay and not credits like you said. are you sure they are credits ? he said these are overheads that they have to pay, so they have to add them to invoice.
    does anyone know when the HS 250 arrives ? how it drives compare to IS 250 and ES 350 ? I like the RX 350 but I like the mileage on the HS 250 but not sure how it handles.
    I will be in FL late this week--in 2 weeks AZ

I visited a dealer Saturday--I would say about 15 2010's in stock all equiped the same.

Was told late July for the first hybrids. And that they expected the Hybrids to include the Luxury package--but after all the disinformation and conflicting info I have seen, all I can say is that it will be what it will be.

I owuld like to get a decent size discount out of principle--wil get at least a small discount.

My further guess is that the car companies are cutting back production severly to minimize damage--kind of like the airlines cut back seats. So I do not see any large build up on inventories esp the 450h which has not been introduced. If they have not figured out whats happening by now I will have lost my faith in Toyota.

So I see internally created shortages--they and dealers just do not want to carry inventories--there wil be sufficient discounting from Chrysler Fiat and GM.

We will see--over ten years an extra 2-3k is lost in the shuffle and I would not mind my dealer survivng to service what he sells.
    Tyler70, I agree the dealer will have finance charges but it is receiving a credit from Lexus to help offset. I never heard anyone say holdback is a charge (do a google search and see how it is described). Find another dealer because this one is full of it.
    Tyler70, here is what Edmunds says about holdback

What Are Holdbacks For?
    Dealerships must have an inventory on hand so that consumers can browse and ultimately select a vehicle. Dealerships must pay for this inventory when it is obtained from the manufacturer, and the amount the dealer pays is the price reflected on the invoice from the manufacturer to the dealer, the so-called "invoice price."

Now the twist: with the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3% of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for that excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only some time after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership.

Why the sleight-of-hand you might ask? Because holdbacks can benefit dealers in three ways:

1. Dealerships borrow money to finance cars based on an invoiced amount that includes the holdback. So the higher the invoiced amount, the more the dealership can borrow from its lender.

2. Inflating the dealership's "cost" can have the effect of increasing profit, since sales personnel are paid commissions based on the "gross profit" of each sale. Holdbacks have the effect of lowering the gross profit and thus the sales commissions.

3. Holdbacks enable dealerships to advertise "invoice price" sales and sell their vehicles at or near invoice and still make hundreds of dollars on the sale
  • creme_bruleecreme_brulee Member Posts: 1
    Can you share what other fees you have paid on top of 44k? I also live in Seattle area.

Thanks!
  • tkv_01tkv_01 Member Posts: 20
    yup yup HID headlamps are in comfort package now. The one has HID, the projector lense should be inside (close to the grille).
    just the title & registration charges... I think $300 total.
  • MafuwahMafuwah Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am in Seattle too, and looking to buy the RX 350. Would you mind tell me how much did you pay for your 2010 RX350 please? I just want to get some ideas before I do the talking with Lexus of Bellevue. Also, did you get any financing with Lexus?
  • MafuwahMafuwah Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I'm just wondering if you have bought your RX350 yet? And what's the finial price did you pay for it? I'm looking for AWD, so it might be a little bit higher. It is a very good car, but I don't want to pay too much for it.

Thanks for your help.
    I paid 44k for the RX350 (awd, navigation, comfort pkg,etc -- NO luxury nor HID ) before tax. Of course I got a good price for my trade-in, so I wasn't able to bargain too much on the Lexus price (only 2.5k), I did the financing with them, but shop online (capital one or first tech credit union) so you're ready, so you can bargain with them (assuming you have a good credit score -- high 700's or 800+). I also put a rather large downpayment to bring down the monthly cost. They won't give you that great deal on APR's compare to Toyota, since their volume is lower. If you go to Bellevue go talk to Moe, he's very good/honest. Also might want to go toward the end of month so you can bargain a bit more... depends on how many cars they have in their lot.

-H
    I'd recommend going to a dealer, and figure out the options in a car they have, then enter them all in edmunds.com w/ options, to get the invoice/msrp price and see the tmv value.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Got an 09 Rx350 a few months ago and decided to add the headrest dvd screens. Have any of you out there had issues with the sound quality while driving. My kids complained of a buzzing noise thru the wireless head phones. I check it out and you can't listen to the movie while the car is on. When it's off, no problem. It goes back on Thursday to get checked out. I was just looking for other possible experiences with these dvd players. They are Lexus installed players btw. Thanks for any input.
  • crustdubcrustdub Member Posts: 1
    What did you decide on? I'm deciding between the 2010 RX350 AWD and the Audi A4 Avant. I own a BMW 328xi coupe and need something more practical...I think the Avant handles better, but I like the luxury and space of the RX. Curious to see what you did!
    What are the latest discounts dealers are offering? Has anyone purchased the 2010 RX lately that can indicate the MSRP and net price before taxes etc?
    my car (hybrid) is not here yet but my dealer last night just showed leasing ads on tv--I think 550 mo 4 yr lease 9k down.

no bargain in my mind-pay 33k in 4 years and car costs ~ 45

so I am guessing they not onty have inventories and low sales but a lot more on the way inbound.
  • bama12bama12 Member Posts: 17
    Just picked up a 2010 RX 350 AWD with the following specs:

- Obsidian Black Exterior/Parchment Interior
    - Navigation, Premium, Comfort, & Sport Packages
    - Towing prep, cargo mat, 12-speaker audio for navi, & wheel locks
    - MSRP of $47,686

Price we paid was $43,600 (i.e., $4086 below MSRP) before taxes, fees, etc.

The car is great, and we were very happy with the deal. We shopped around alot and ended up working with eight different dealers before we got the right vehicle and the price we wanted.
    Was a trade involved?
    Just curious-how did the other dealers compare in pricing. I imagine working with 8 dealers, the pricing must have varied quite a bit. Is it safe to assume the $4086 was the largest discount or were there other factors involved and this was not the best discount.
    Did the dealer say you could use 87 octane gas?
    Thanks
  • WhichSUVWhichSUV Member Posts: 6
    Hello all, New to the forum.....

Looking to buy a 2010 RX with premium package +/- Nav in Boston area. Guess most models in the NE come with premium, heat/vent seats, wooden wheels, and EC backup camera.....

What should my target price be with and without Nav?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • bama12bama12 Member Posts: 17
    - No trade was involved
    - The other offers from dealers on identically equipped cars varied from $44,200 to $43,751. The $43,600 price we got was the best offer from the dealers we were working with, and our salesman was very enjoyable to work with.
    - I didn't ask about using 87 octane gas. I plan to use premium as recommended by Lexus
  • telebumptelebump Member Posts: 12
    I am a first time Lexus buyer (potentially) but I have had two pretty weak experiences with salespeople at our local (Maplewood) lexus dealer. Anyone have a recommendation for a good sales person? The two I have spoken with over the last 3 months literally have known nothing about the 350, at least from a technology perspective. I am also amazed at how poor inventory is (which may explain why the sales people know nothing). Anyone buy at Wayzata or use someone they liked at Maplewood? I am considering buying in Chicago since I am there for work so often if I don't get a better experience here.
  • sport11sport11 Member Posts: 4
    I tried to get a 2010 RX 350 AWD at a reasonable price over the Invoice price for about a month and half at various dealerships in North Carolina.

Needless to say whether Toyota/Lexus is producing few RX models to meet the demand, too many people are flocking and devouring every RX that is available or the economy is not all that bad as it is made out in the news, I was unable to accomplish that task. The dealers have not come down from their MSRP significantly- I got the quotes at $48K (inclusive of taxes etc) and they flatly declared that they would not be selling anywhere near the invoice.

However, yesterday I purchased a new 2009 MDX with Tech package with the rear entertainment system for $44,200 -no hassles. It was a good buying experience. I had driven the MDX close to 300 miles (including three test drives) and find it to be excellent. It is always debatable if I could have got a better price. May be or may be not. It does not matter.

I do not know whether new RX is substantially better to command a price closer to 50K or not.

At the moment I- who bought 3 Toyotas (2 Camrys and a Sienna)- am quite satisfied with a Honda product.

In any case, I want to thank the community for their input and valuable comments.
  • sport11sport11 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new MDX with black exterior. Overall I must say it was a good experience until we agreed on the price. However, I am a bit confused about the additional services and warranties the finance guy tried to push.

How good is the Accura factory warranty? Is there a need to purchase additional warranty for $1800 to have a 100,000 mile warranty?

What is the GAP coverage

Is there a need to purchase additional insurance and paint protection and interior protection for another 480 or $$?

So far I drove Toyotas without any such add on purchase for the past 12 years or so- my cars have been of great value to me and never considered purchasing other types of warranties.

I thought that Accura is a great brand and did not consider purchasing all these insurances. I am thinking of calling Accura and get their opinion (whatever it is worth).

I really would appreciate the feedback from the community and the owners of Accura products.

Thanks
  • asterix4asterix4 Member Posts: 16
    I'm looking for a 2009 RX350 with leather seats, & navigation.

The 5000$ Lexus to Dealer incentive, it seems, will expire on June 1st. Does anyone know if Lexus will follow-up with a similar incentive after June ? Is there a way to find out about these incentives ?

Also, price i'm getting for the base 2009 model is 30,117 (including destination charges). Is that a good price ?
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    Just say no! The finance guys get a commission on all these high margin add ons.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews