Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• roadwarrior6roadwarrior6 Member Posts: 21
    I would say $500 over invoice price, that is fair and not insulting, anymore and you are inviting them to counter offer a much higher price.

BTW, I sold Fords for 3 years and bought Toyota's for $500 over invoice for years with no problem. This is the first Lexus im shopping for, but im waiting till Jan./Feb. when they are starving.
  • jselingojselingo Member Posts: 9
    It was Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria. Sales person was Charlene Carter, she was great. The vehicle price for a FWD with no nav was $38,085.
    Just got the same vehicle in Va. for 38,085
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What is the MSRP and I assume the price is before taxes, fees, etc?
  • luckycardsluckycards Member Posts: 6
    I have been shopping around for the RX350 but did not get to close a deal this month, maybe next month will be better since it is quarter end.

I was getting invoice from one dealer and was about to seal the deal when he told me I would have to pay an additional $1,500+ or so on TDA/Financial Reserve/Dealer Holdback. It is my understanding that this is ALREADY included in the invoice price. He told me it was for advertising, etc. I told him that it is money he gets back from the manufacturer when the car is sold, he disagreed. I walked on the deal.

Am I wrong or is the dealer?

I am a patient person so when hearing that people are getting invoice and under I can wait until this deal comes along.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I believe you are right but depending upon your market, $1,500 over invoice could be an acceptable deal. My 2¢.

Pete :)
  • moonridermoonrider Member Posts: 1
    I am in Seattle and plans to buy RX350 AWD w/ Premium package and comfort package (or heated seat option). I am willing to buy from LA if I can get good deal.
  • bond8bond8 Member Posts: 33
    Hey Luckycards,
    You are absolutely right. Holdback is the money that the dealer gets back from the manufacturer when the car is sold. However depending on where you live there could be an advertising fee commonly called as LDA (Lexus dealership advertising). This may or may not be included in the invoice. When I bought my RX LDA was included in the invoice. Other than this fee the dealer's invoice matched the invoice I found on edmunds. However in my case I had negotiated the price to well below invoice, so LDA didnt matter much to me.
  • rma2rma2 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much. Will post my experience if it works out. Thanks again.
  • rma2rma2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks naples34.
  • c2008c2008 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, Anyone purchased a 2010 RX350 AWD in IA, MN, WI or Chicago recently? I would appreciate if you could post your experience (what options you have, the price you paid and the dealership). I am in MN but I am willing to buy from any neighbor states. Thanks.
    Hi, have you got any good deal? Thanks?
  • yechsphyechsph Member Posts: 4
    Bough a new RX350 AWD from Lexus of Silver Spring on Aug 31. MSRP:47,407, invoice:42,979, final deal:42,600 + 100 (dealer processing fee) +taxes+tag. The salesman is Ajay and he is good. Better to buy at end of month for good deals. BTW, my experience (phone and email communications) with Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly VA is bad. Hope the information would be helpful.
    According to the information I got, TDA is $580 for RX350, holdback is 2% of vehicle base model MSRP, and financial reserve is 1% of vehicle base model MSRP. Dealers' invoices should include all these items.
    Hi, I am in similar situation. I found out that the invoice price in a dealer is $1160 more than the one here on Edmunds site and I was told that extra number is dealer hold back, advertising etc and they are part of invoice, and this is the case across the country. Is this what you guys experienced in terms of invoice price. Any of you got an invoice that matches the Edmund's number? Thanks!
    The best quote I got so far is 2k under sticker price. Are you getting any better one?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,537
    Edmunds invoice numbers include the wholesale finance reserve and the holdback.. Instead of being broken out separately, they are built into the base invoice number. If you look at the dealer's invoice, they will have those broken out separately, but their base invoice number will be that much lower than Edmunds base invoice.

TDA advertising is a different matter. Edmunds invoice numbers don't include that, because it varies regionally. Also, if you live in the Gulf States or SouthEast region, all bets are off, as those are independent distributors that pack the invoice with extra charges.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Please elaborate. If there is a financial reserve and holdback is that money the dealer gets?? For example, if MSRP is $45000 and the dealer pays $40,000 (to make up numbers) does the dealer then get additional money based on the $40,000. If holdback is 2% would the dealer then be given $800 back from the $40,000 making the true dealer cost $39200??? What would the Edmunds invoice price then be?
    I thought the invoice price on Edmunds should have included everying with the possible exception of advertisement. That is why I was shocked to learn a much higher number from a dealer. The configuration I was quoted is AWD + PM,EC,WU,HS,TO. On Edmunds, the MSRP is $43033 and invoice is $38147, but I was told the dealer's MSRP is $43483 ($450 more, no idea where it is from), and invoice is over $39700. They told me the extra almost $1600 is stardard every where (with small deviation). I believe the Edmund's number is correct but like to hear from you guys if you have encountered the similar situation. Thanks.
    MSRP was $41,065. So our deal was almost $3K under. We could have done a bit better at Towson, but they didn't have the car in stock. And, yes, tax and tags were extra. We got them to drop the processing fee.
  • truecartruecar Member Posts: 6
    RX350 AWD invoice price is $32,752 according to edmunds.com. Why you said it is 42,979?
    See http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/lexus/rx350/101142322/prices.html.
    Yes... the dealer gets the financial reserve and holdback returned to them..

The invoice price doesn't change.. Edmunds invoice is the same as the factory invoice (except for advertising charges). Invoice does not necessarily equal dealer cost.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I thought the invoice price on Edmunds should have included everying with the possible exception of advertisement.

It does..

If the vehicle at the dealer has a different (higher) MSRP, then you aren't comparing apples to apples... If you want an accurate invoice number, you have to work off identical MSRPs.. Also, make sure the MSRP is what's at the bottom of the Monroney sticker.. If the dealer makes additions to that, obviously it won't be reflected in Edmunds numbers..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How much is financial reserve?

So, when a dealer shows a customer invoice, dealer cost is actually bit below figures being shown due to the holdback and financial reserve a dealer ultimately receives.
    Is this correct?
    Guys,
    A lot of you have asked questions about holdbacks and other fees. I can share something I found very useful when I wsa buying my car. Go to the link below. It has a lot of tips about car buying and will also provide you information about pricing. Additionally I found the 7 chapters at the bottom extremely helpful during negotiations. This really helped me get a good deal on my RX.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html
    I recall, your discount which is probably the best I have seen!!
    Have you tried using gas with less than the 93 octane you had commented on?
    $32,752 is FWD (base model with no options), not AWD. My RX is AWD and pretty much fully loaded except rear entertainment system and few minor options. MSRP is $47,404 and dealer's invoice is $42,979, and I paid $42,600.
    No I havent used anything less than 93 and I do not intend on doing that either.
    Thanks-how many mpg do you average and what kind of driving-city or highway mostly?
  • truecartruecar Member Posts: 6
    What options did you buy?
  • scoop87scoop87 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new 2010 RX 350 with Navigation in Houston preferably but willing to go to any other Texas dealer. MSRP seems to be around 46,500 which comes with the premium and comfort packages, 19 inch weels, nav, wood knob and a few other options. I really don't want the other options (I do want the 19 inch, premium and comfort package and nav though) but I have been told the RX is only coming in 3 different ways to the dealer and the 46,500 is the cheapest with navigation. The next level up would be with the luxury package and rear seat entertainment - I for sure don't need that nor can I afford it!

I am looking to pay 42,500 - roughly 4 k below MSRP. Does this seem reasonable for Texas? Our economy hasn't been hit as bad as California. I've thrown the number out to Northside - was quickly told 46k is the best he could do. A dealership in Austin and Dallas went to 44k in the first email exchange. Should I keep trying or just settle for a package without navigation?

Does anyone know any Houston dealers that will give me 4k off MSRP? All the dealerships I have contacted know I am looking at all Texas dealers.

Any advice would be great .. I am looking to buy as soon as possible and have all the cash and financing ready to go!
  • chk1144chk1144 Member Posts: 5
    anybody knows rx450h forum for price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dmorelli1dmorelli1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2004 RX330 with 56K miles. I am looking to buy 2010 with Nav and want to know the best deal people are getting in NY (Long Island). I was offered only $14,500 for the 2004 by Mercedes dealer so I am thinking of selling it privately. I see others are getting below dealer invoice. Anyone buy on Long Island?
  • sreebhasreebha Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me the dealership and the salesman
    i am looking for a similar car.
    thanks
    sree
    Lexus of Silver Spring, Ajay.
  • sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    Very frustrated and disappointed with Lexus right now. I love this car, I want to buy this car, but I don't want any packages tacked on. They advertise the base model for the RX350 AWD to start at 39k, but apparently those don't actually exist. I have contacted 8 dealers and have heard the same story over and over again, they just aren't available. Why even have a base model if you are forced into purchasing the almost $3k premium package? Is this just fraudulent Lexus advertising? Apparently they can't even be ordered. Has anyone ever seen a base model RX350? Any advice? This is my last resort, I am very close to just giving up and buying a Venza. I live in PA.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I feel the same as you.....I recommend that you go the Venza route (as I am planning to do)...Venza oil changes...$25.00...RX350..uhmmmmm...I heard as much as $125 (inflated with "check this and that)...your choice....I am done no RX350 I don't want another mortgage.....
    I was looking for a base AWD too but was told by all dealers the exact the same thing you have heard. There is basically never base AWD built. Unfortunately I think it is a fact that the lowest AWD you can buy is the one with MSRP over 43k. I ended up settle on one with PM, EC, HS,WU,TO. TO is totally useless for me (I have never towed anything in my life). I think this is probably one of lowest options you can find.
    Seriously, I don't understand how they can get away with doing that? Can it possibly be legal? Unfortunately, my budget is just too tight to settle on one with any added options. I am glad that you were able to afford all those extra options. So are you happy with your purchase regardless? I have to admit that I am jealous :-) Enjoy your new ride!
    I really like the Venza too, but I can't get used to how low it is! I am downsizing from a bigger SUV and every time I get in the Venza I feel like I am in a car. It's a bit higher, but it comes off just a little awkward to me. So I am still thinking it through. I also like the Highlander, but sigh, it's a bit stale. I just can't find that absolute perfect car. The Lexus would be if I could get that elusive base priced model...but then again the premium gas makes me cringe a bit too, but I am willing to go there. Good to know about the oil change too. I already pay about $75 per change with my SUV now so I was thinking it would be about the same, but I'll have to research it some more. :cry:
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Sweetsoul, svofan2, c2008, and all on the same boat,

Maybe you should take a look at Volvo XC60. Like RX350, the XC60 is a brand new, early 2010 model for about 5 months now. The XC60 is ranked higher than RX350 in a few car magazines' comparison test, yet it costs thousands less than the RX350.

A nicely equipped XC60 is about the same price as a base RX350 (if you can find one). And I am pretty sure that you can order the base XC60 if you really want it but can't find it at dealer lots. In addition, the XC60 is now included in Volvo's "Safe and Sound" program. The S&S program offers 5-year/60,000 miles warranty, scheduled maintenance, and wear-and-tear coverage, which pays for break pads/rotors, and even windshield wiper inserts. In other words, gasoline and insurance are about the only costs of ownership for the first 5 years.

No, I am NOT a Volvo salesperson, but we currently lease an XC90 which ends in November. I am shopping for the replacement, and the RX350 and XC60 are on top of our short list.
    I contacted Lexus about the un-availability of the base model and here is their response:

We appreciate your interest in the 2010 RX 350 AWD. We apologize that the dealerships in your area do not have the vehicle you are seeking. The website is simply a tool you can use in order to see options and features you are interested in for your vehicle. Vehicle allocation is based upon dealer preference, which is based upon consumer preference and demand. While a vehicle is available with certain features, these features may not be installed on vehicles in your area. Lexus dealerships and distributors are prepared to take your request and make every attempt to obtain the desired vehicle. If the dealership is unable to locate the vehicle of choice, they may submit a preference request for your desired vehicle. This preference request does not guarantee you will receive the vehicle with the exact options requested, and may create an extended wait-time. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) listed on the website is the suggestion of the manufacturer, however actual prices at the dealerships may vary from the MSRP, as dealerships are independently owned and operated and can set their own pricing.

So I reach out to the dealers again and one "thinks" he can special order a base model (admitting they have never seen one) and tells me it could take up to 5 months to come in! So now I have no idea what to do! All those who own the new 2010 is it fantastic and worth a 5 month wait?. :cry:
    Thanks jtla, I think I will check out the volvo. I hadn't considered it because we don't have a local dealer and it's brand new which means negotiating will be very limited ;) But I will take your advice and find one I can test drive, because I checked and you are right the pricing seems to be just a bit under the RX350. Thanks!
    Hi, I have not got my vehicle yet (will be here next Saturday). I think I will be happy with the new one as I currently have an older RX350 and I have test driven the new model. I know these options are expensive. Some of them are probably good such as leather seats others are probably not that useful. But if you want a dealer to order one for you, other than the long wait, not sure what kind of price you can get. If you can wait and like the car, I would say it is worth waiting assuming you can get a good price. Right now, it is very hard to negotiate in MN.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Both my 99 RX300 and 97 RX350 were cheerfully special ordered by my dealer after I had negotiated an acceptable price. Wait time in each case was about two months as I recall, however neither was a true "base model" devoid of all options!

Pete :)
  • lexmasslexmass Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a 2010 RX350 w/premium for $5,350 below invoice. Lexus of Watertown was helpful, straightforward and didn't misrepresent anything; they received my business (Emma, Michael deserve recognition). Fully negotiated over phone, before meeting anyone. Excellent buying experience.

By comparison, Herb Chambers was okay, Ira Danvers was horrible/suspicious, and Northboro was okay (but not competitive).
  • restonhamrestonham Member Posts: 9
    "$5,350 below invoice."

Maybe you mean below MSRP??? Still a great deal, but below invoice is extremely hard to believe.
    What was the MSRP? Any secrets as to how you negotiated this price?

I assume a paperwork fee was in addition-how much?

Thank you.
  • haywood437haywood437 Member Posts: 3
    Lexmass,

Could you share more info about your purchase? Like what options? MSRP? What was your purchase price before TTL? I am also looking to buy a 2010 RX350, and was thinking to wait till late of year to get a good deal. Your deal sound extremely good. Would like to know more. Appreciate!