Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pjamesepjamese Member Posts: 15
    Sweet. I will buy another at $34k for myself and take a nice drive back down the PCH.
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Member Posts: 82
    Can I get that dealership name and city in N. Calif from you ?

Thx
    Can you confirm it is a 2012 model RX you purchased ?

Thx
    I'm in Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ area and ready to buy a 2012 RX.

Appreciate any prices you paid here and what dealer ?

Thx
    edited January 2012
    I'd like to offer this for discussion.

On a 2012 Lexus RX , this time of year, it makes no sense for any dealer to sell below REAL invoice price.
    On a 2011 , it does. The difference is called the HoldBack, that the dealer gets after the sale from the manufacturer.
    That is why they can sell a 2011 now a bit below invoice . That Holdback, depending on the make of the car, is between 2 and 4% of actual invoice usually for Toyota and Lexus, and it varies with other car makers. This holdback is there for the dealer to help off set his cost of 'flooring'. Flooring is the cost the dealer has to pay his bank that finances HIS inventory on EACH car before it's sold. That cost is higher the longer he has that unit in stock. So 2011s left over usually have been there a while(not always) so he wants to move it, and NOT loose money on it.Thus he might go slightly below invoice, but needs to keep his holdback of course.
    The Holdback, plus any other incentives the DEALER gets from the Factory, are really HIS business, but, they are the reason some cars roll out slightly below ACTUAL invoice.
    No dealer will stay in business very long if he sells cars below his true costs/invoice .

Holdback is not, as a rule, paid until Sept or October of each year to the dealer. Keep that in mind also.

As a buyer, we really should only think about the MSRP, plus any real dealer add ons, and the invoice, and HOW MUCH we think is fair for a dealer to make on a new car, with the above in mind. We all want a good deal of course, BUT, as many have said here, on a 2012 this time of year, if you can truly get a new 2012 at invoice plus a few hundred, you are getting a great deal. And keep in mind, we must compare apples to apples, i.e. same equipment when comparing and where the car is.
    Forget that holdback, on a 2012...the dealer doesn't have it for 10 months yet..let him have it..he does need it. Go for the Invoice plus and try for your best deal.Try to buy at the dealer you want to comeback to for service, in your town if you can. If you need to shop around, go to your hometown dealer LAST, and make your deal if you can.

Just some food for thought here for those getting ready to buy soon.
  • sjr200sjr200 Member Posts: 8
    Updating this to relay my buying experience. Purchased a 2012 RX350 Yesterday.

The vehicle has the following specs: FWD, Nebula Gray Exterior, Black Interior, Navigation, Premium, Appearance Package, Parking Assist, H+V seats, Wood Steering Wheel/Shift Knob + several add ons such as Cross Bars,Preferred Accessories Package, Cargo Spider Net, etc. MSRP was just at $47,700, Invoice was $ 42,930 (not including TDA) Made the deal for $43,000.

I was quite happy with the price and the process. I have bought a few cars in my time and this was about the most painless buying process I have ever been through. I think it took longer for the guy to show us all the features on the car than the actual paperwork and finance did.

As Pjamese said, getting a price from $4500-$5000 off sticker is realistic, at least here in Southern California. If you can go more than 5K below MSRP, more power to you!
    Thx for that info.
    Can you tell me the dealership in So. Cal where you purchased ?

I'm not far from Calif.
    No Problem. Lexus of Glendale.
    Thx much. I'll contact them tomorrow.

Found a very nice certified 2011 RX350 here today, 9000 miles, Nav plus lots of good options. Might go for it unless my talk with Glendale lures me in there.

Your info has been most helpful.

Thx again.
  • cb6cb6 Member Posts: 12
    In northern California, you can get $1000 under invoice for an AWD with comfort package and NAV. You don't need coupons but the 0.9% financing ended in January. I bought one last December at invoice but I got additional $1000 off with 2 coupons but the dealer sold an identical car to my friend 2 weeks ago at $1000 under invoice with no coupons.
  • rich177rich177 Member Posts: 3
    Nazzy, why go for invoice plus? Just picked up a 2012 RX last night, closed a deal Saturday for well under invoice. Apparently they are willing to deal on the RX now.
    How much under invoice and in what region? I am thinking about selling my current SUV and getting an RX for myself
    I'd be grateful for that NO Cal dealer name and town ?

They must not be moving enough units in Ca sounds like.

Here in the Phoenix area these dealers can't get enough inventory, and they sell the Rx real fast. Of course , that means not as good as deal as you guys out there seem to be getting, even without coupons. Sounds like Lexus Factory is giving your dealers with heavy stock, some sort of promotion only known to them.

Here , these dealers are actually buying RX's(new) from dealers out there I found out, because they need cars to sell. My Scottsdale dealer sells more Lexus than any other dealer in the entire state here....except now..as he waits on inventory. And, he has good allocation allowed too, but Japan is still behind from that Tsunami on parts.

You guys in CA are such a big state your dealers have even better allocations of course.

Sounds great to me, you guys are saving thousands, not hundreds. That is worth flying over or a 5 hour drive for me.

Once again, please let me know your dealers and towns where you are getting these great deals?

THx to all.........for more info ?
    deals please.
    edited February 2012
    I'd be grateful for that NO Cal dealer name and town ?

They must not be moving enough units in Ca sounds like.

Here in the Phoenix area these dealers can't get enough inventory, and they sell the Rx real fast. Of course , that means not as good as deal as you guys out there seem to be getting, even without coupons. Sounds like Lexus Factory is giving your dealers with heavy stock, some sort of promotion only known to them.

Here , these dealers are actually buying RX's(new) from dealers out there I found out, because they need cars to sell. My Scottsdale dealer sells more Lexus than any other dealer in the entire state here....except now..as he waits on inventory. And, he has good allocation allowed too, but Japan is still behind from that Tsunami on parts.

You guys in CA are such a big state your dealers have even better allocations of course at least the ones who move a lot of them. Plus with your population being so large, lots of car buyers out there still, even with the economy.

Sounds great to me, you guys are saving thousands, not hundreds. That is worth flying over or a 5 hour drive for me.

Once again, please let me know your dealers and towns where you are getting these great deals?

THx to all.........for more info ?

nazzy@cox.net
    All 4 San Diego area dealers were at $39,000-$39,500 on a 2012 RX350 no NAV MSRP $44,184 with Invoice $40,495. This was just a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing that more people buy the NAV so they were willing to deal on a base no NAV one.

Try Lexus of San Diego & Lexus of Escondido first.
    edited February 2012
    Good point, and thx for the dealers info.

Yes, that Nav package is $2600 MSRP also, which brings the sticker to $46700 approx, nicely equipped, with no dealers add-ons ,if any, yet.

Thx
    By all means go for 1k under invoice Nazz. It may depend on the particular car and package you are looking at but sounds like in your situation in AZ it would be worth your while to buy one in CA.

I settled at invoice as I had a difficult time locating one with the exact package + color scheme I wanted. I pretty much had every dealer in So Cal looking for it. The sheer amount of emails and calls with 'alternative offers' I got in the last week and a half was pretty funny. The road block for me was the Parking Assist. Most of them with Parking Assist have the Comfort or Luxury Package which I didn't want. Plus I sort of sold my wifes SUV out from under her last week ha ha. (Hey I got an offer I couldnt refuse)

She was giving me the stink eye and asking me how I would like walking to work as I didn't quite have a replacement for her up until Lexus of Glendale finally came through for me.

For what its worth, most of the dealer add-ons I saw were the Preferred Accessories Package, Cross Bars and/or Door Guards.

Good Luck!
    edited February 2012
    Thx, Sir200 .

I plan on being in one by the end of this weekend. Waiting on a call back from Glendale Lexus, right now.

Good to hear your' Boss', is now happy .

THX
  • pkmetpkmet Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I think this forum is great and it helped in our recent purchase of a 2012 RX 350. We bought at a dealership in Phx, AZ. last week. It had the navigation system, premium pkg, heated and ventilated seats, wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob, cross bars, etc. Also had window tint and upgraded to premium chrome rims. Sales price was at invoice of $44,209+TTL and also got $29,000 for our trade on a 2010 RX. Hopefully this is a pretty good deal for AZ as we ran into the same problems of the dealers not having a good inventory in stock in AZ and only found one dealer that was really willing to make a deal that we thought was decent. Would appreciate any feedback on if you'd consider this a good deal?
    PKMET:

Good info, thx.

Can you tell me which dealer in Phoenix you bought at please ? That is allowed here.

And, what was the actual MSRP /Sticker price on your new 2012 car ? Must have been around $48500 plus ? Would be most helpful to know what it was.
    Lexus of Serramonte doing 1K under invoice, in December was able to get 1500 under invoice (Putnam Lexus) but that car didn't have Comfort Pkg, wasn't going to spend all that money and not having Xenon lights plus I like auto high beam while going to Tahoe. Good luck.
  • pkmetpkmet Member Posts: 2
    Nazzy, we bought at Chandler Lexus. Sticker was $48,294 with the upgraded chrome wheels/rims on. They were the only ones who seemed interested in making a deal. I had to negotiate pretty strong at different times, but got the deal done. Superstition Springs and Scottsdale Lexus flat out refused to offer anything close on the trade and sell a car at invoice. Same with Bell and Arrowhead Lexus. I'd never go back to SS Lexus or Scottsdale Lexus again, they're a complete joke.
    cb6:

Thx for the info.

So if I read that right you ended up buying the car you wanted with X lights and Comfort at Serramonte Lexus at $1000 under ?

I'll be in Napa tonight, so may go there, and if unable there, head south to Glendale Lexus, as another recommended here.

Thx again .
    Thx Pkmet :

Chandler Lexus , on my stop here in about an hour.

Thx .
    you're right, my friend actually got a better deal because they got 1k under invoice before tax whereas my 1K coupons are a rebate deducted after tax, a difference of $82. 1K under seems very doable because the 0.9% is gone now. Good luck in SoCal!
  • twicetwice Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

We agreed to buy a 2012 RX350 AWD (MSRP $45825) for $41500 (before tax & doc. fee) a couple weeks ago.

Since the dealership did not the car with the color that we want, we had to wait for them to locate the vehicle. During our negotiation, the sale-person has strongly promised to get us the vehicle with the same options and mileage less than 25 miles.

Two weeks has gone by. And today, the sale-person called and told us that he has the vehicle in the dealership. I asked about the mileage and were told that the car has more than 150 miles on it. He also said that, If i wanted a vehicle with low mileage, now I would have to pick one with different color at the dealership lot. I am not happy to hear that at all.

Finally, after i told him that I am unhappy and that he did not kept his words, he asked me if anything he could do for me so that I would pick up the car.

Btw, we like the sale-person because of his soft-speaking and no-pressure approach. Additionally, while waiting for the car, a sale-manager from another dealership had offered to sell the same car (color & options) from his lot for $500 less, we declined to go with him to keep our words with the first sale-person.

What would you do if you are in my shoes?

Is it normal for buying a new car with that kind of mileage?

Any thought/answers from you would be appreciated very much.
    edited February 2012
    I wouldn't worry about 150 miles. They probably did a dealer trade for the car, and the only dealer that had exactly the right car was that far away.

Dealer trades are driven by people, on a list with each dealer approved to do so, and are paid for the drive by the dealer initiating the trade. They are not put on a transport ,too expensive.

You can ask your salesperson, where the car came from after you verify it is the car you want and he should at least tell you what city it came from.

I bought a new truck a few months ago, and it has 110 miles on it. Brand new at the dealership. Factory paperwork did show 94 miles before shipping. The rest are test drives from folks like us at the dealership.

Also, some new cars are actually driven on the track at the factory for that many miles, being random picked off the line. Others are driven maybe 2 miles.

As far as that other dealer offering another chunk off the price, I can't advise you. But, the car he has just may not have exactly what you wanted when it comes down to the deal.

Again, ask the dealer you like, WHY does it have 150 miles on it ?? There's no reason for him to not answer that. Another question to ask, is if the car was a demo car within a dealership. Those are new cars that drive on Dealer plates, by managers at dealerships. They are not registered ,and are always for sale . Doesn't make them a bad car, and you do get a new car warranty with it of course, as it's sold as a new car, but a demo. That status must be revealed by your dealer if it is. Make sure you ask that. And Demos are usually discounted more also.

Good luck..let us know how it turns out.
    Nazzi100,

Thank you for sharing your story & opinion with us.

I will ask if it is a demo or not. It's good point!

I'll discuss with my wife, since ultimately it is going to be her very first brand new car.

I will keep you posted.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    If the dealer doesn't have the exact car that you want, if the price is right (or perhaps if they don't want business to go to one of the other Lexus dealers in the area), the dealer may be willing to foot the bill to have the car transported (on a transporter or flatbed truck) from another dealer. This happened to me when I bought an RX350 - it had only 10 miles on it even though they got it from another state. But my previous car was driven from another dealer and had about 85 miles when I took delivery.

By the way, I was also concerned about how many miles there were on this car they were procuring for me and so I asked that they confirm it was brand-new and not a demo or loaner before they procured it.

As someone else pointed out, this may be a matter of personal comfort level - you might be able to get a price break if it has 150 miles. Good luck!
    edited February 2012
    Reporting back in :

Thanks to all you folks with your deals and dealer info, I flew to San Francisco and LA, to visit my son up north, and to find my deal on the new RX 350.

I ended up buying at Lexus of Glendale, and took delivery about 2 hours after the sale, when the car was finished with detailing. Drove it back to my home in Scottsdale, AZ.

My car had a MSRP of $46, 800.It has nav package, 19 inch wheels, luxury package, heated and ventilated seats, much more, etc.

I explained to a manager, I was ready to buy, right then, for the deal I wanted, after I had found on the lot the car I wanted, and to forget the back and forth stuff if you
    want to sell me one for my offer. I told him no trade, big cash down, and very good credit.

I took a straight 11% off bottom factory sticker, for a selling price of $41650.00, plus tax and license, out the door. No trade. He accepted and threw in a few dealer items as well. I was fine with that. No buyer's remorse here for me.

We'll never know what the REAL dealer cost is on these cars, and as most of you know, they are very eager to show a invoice these days. You can bet invoice is not really what these dealers pay for these cars. The dealers and manufactures have gotten together a few years ago, and built invoices they know the customer will see. That's ok. That's what they need to do to sell cars these days, as so many of us want good deals, and are armed with pretty good numbers when we walk in.

Nice drive back through the desert for me , as I'm happy with the car so far. It is not my first Lexus RX, but the new body and changes in the dash layout with NAV is very nice, with the screen being recessed deep in it's own alcove, which is a BIG improvement in viewing over early RX's. Nice smooth quiet ride at high speeds also.

Thanks again to all here, for the ammunition I got on this forum , to help educate me, and arm me for the buy,with comparison deals, you all received on your purchase.

Great forum, this.

Cheers
  • natwnatw Member Posts: 2
    I am ready to buy RX350, but need help in the buying process. I am in bay area and seems like Lexus of Serramonte is my best bet. Could you please advise me how to start the negotiation process? Should I get quote from internet site first? Or just walk in the dealer and ask for $1K below invoice price? Are they willing to show you the invoice price? If I need financing, should the price be higher?

Many thanks!! :blush:
    They were willing to show invoice and even emailed the break down to me. Unlike the past or other dealership, the interest rate was solely dependent on my credit. Putnam Lexus and Serramonte seemed eager to deal at 1k below. I believed 1500 below is not out of the questions.
  • asuhasuh Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealer you've gone to? Was it Linsey or Pohanka?
    I am trying to buy one for my parents, exactly same one, and the person gave me $42,150 (it was with the accessory package msrp $255), but I believe the invoice is $41,243 (MSRP $45,570) and you said you've gotten the out the door price for $41500. It's about 1500 under invoice, and if you have some information to share, that would be grateful. Did you just walk in or made the deal before you walk in?
    Any kind of information would be helpful. I hope you read this post.
    Thank you.
    If he got out the door price of $41500, he paid about $38000 for the car BEFORE tax and license, approx. YIKES !

Out the door usually means with Tax and license, everything. Wonder if he meant BEFORE tax and License ?

Sorry to jump on your string, but I'd like to know also now.
    Nazz,

Congrats on your new RX350! Sounds like you did very well with the deal. I'm glad Glendale was good to you and I didnt steer you wrong ;) My wife and I are very happy with ours and the folks at Glendale were great.
    sir200:

A great steer, and certainly worth a little bit of travel, so thanks again.

Happy to help out your California Economy !
    My wife & I went back to the dealership yesterday afternoon.

The vehicle has 239 miles in stead of 150mi as posted before.

The sale manager told us that the car was driven from another dealership and offered to take $500 off the previously negotiated price of $41500. On top of that, we got a $1500 incentive for owing an Acura and by financing thru Lexus.

Finally, we decided to buy the vehicle. And the final number is $39500 (before tax, doc., title fee ...) with 60-month finance at 3.99% rate thru Lexus. The MSRP of the vehicle is $45825.

This forum has been a great help for us. Again, thank you everyone for sharing info and opinion.
    edited February 2012
    Twice:

Sounds like you did real well. As long as you are happy with the car, all is well.

Never get buyer's remorse, you did a good job. Congrats!

I'm curious where you live, and what town is this dealership in ? That is allowed here. Others may want to go there as it seems they are willing to work with the customers to make a deal.

Can you tell us ?

Nazzy
    Hi Nazzy,

I live in Methuen, MA and the dealership is Ira Lexus of Manchester in NH.

In general, I have a good buying experience with them.

Regards,

Twice
  • vincentbayuvincentbayu Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    Does anyone know what's the invoice on a 2012 RX350 AWD with the following options?
    Navigation system
    19" wheels
    Heated and ventilated front seats
    Premium package
    Towing package
    Wood & Leather trimmed streeing wheel
    Accy Package

How much is a fair price?
  • jincajinca Member Posts: 6
    Hi - this site is outstanding!! Thank you in advance to any contributors.

Here is my story. My lease is up on my 2009 fully loaded (even had DVD) RX 350 in one month. I put $4000 and my monthly payment allowing 15,000 miles per year is $459. The purchase pay off amount is $22,864.77. KBB says good condition trade in value = $26,303 and very good = $27,303. I have been meticulous with maintenance and I think the car is in very good shape.

I have on payment left due on March 1st. I want to negotiate a deal before the last payment as I was told buying a car closer to month end and mid week is the best. Thus, I don't want to be up against the clock and wait until the end of March. Also, Feb is a shorter month. Also I am nervous about my credit situation.

My FICO situation has changed in the last few years. I opted to file Ch 7 bankruptcy (I know, I know I feel guilty - long story, I am a type I diabetic and we lost our health insurance while I was pregnant and we charged up a ton on $ with my high risk pregnancy and hadevery intention of paying it back but it got overwhelming) which was discharged in June, 2011.

I have never ever been late on a lease payment, car payment, mortgage payment or 2nd mortgage payment. My FICO on Experian at the beginning of the month was 682.

The vehicle I am looking at (Serramonte Lexus) is Nebula with gray interior. 18 inch wheels, nav and park assist. He said the vehicle was "fully loaded" but when I inquired about DVD which I am very sad to be giving up, he said no. He told me the MSRP is $49,343 which seems rather high to me and it also seemed like he was making the number up at the time.

I have been trying to review this board about the money factor but I am so confused about how my credit with play in. My questions are as follows (thank you!):
    1. What is a fair price for the car?
    2. What is a fair trade in value?
    3. Are there any other fees I should be aware of other than 1st month payment, security deposit, acquisition fee and cost reduction? Saw those on here by the way.
    4. Would my husband co-sign also having a BK and a similar FICO?
    5. Does the fact that I have a stellar record with Lexus matter?
    6. Mostly importantly, how will my recent BK and FICO score affect me?
    7. The dealer we leased with before offered a loyalty discount and I would consider going back to them (Maggnussen) but they don't have the color I want. I am worried about pulling my credit and how that works. If I have one dealer pull my credit and we can't make a deal, will it be on file at another dealership?
    8. Should I expect to put down a down payment or security deposit?
    So sorry for all the questions. I have been reading this site for months but no one has had my situation. I am feeling sick about this. I could put down a down payment of up to $4500 but would not like to as that would take out a large portion of our savings we are rebuilding. I think that covers it all. LOL. So sorry for so many details but I wanted to give you the full picture. Thanks much.
    Julie in Santa Rosa
    PS - will be near the dealership tomorrow for business. It is about 2 hours from my home thus tomorrow would be the day. Otherwise would plan on showing up unannounced at another dealership on Feb 29th. In the meantime, I have 43,800 miles and want to be careful driving and don't want to go from dealer to dealer. Thanks again.
    Me again. I decided tomorrow is too much of a rush just because I am going to be in the area. I found 2 other identical vehicles at other Bay Area dealers. I will make a move soon so I am still appreciative of any feedback.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2012
    Jinca,

Sorry, I cant speak to trade-in value or the financial aspects.

But if you want to verify the MSRP, ask the dealer to show you the Monroe sticker for that vehicle (sticker will also show the VIN #). Some of the dealers I dealt with during my search emailed a scanned copy even before I put a deposit down or set foot in the dealership.

Also, know that you can get an estimate for what others are paying for a similarly configured vehicle thru AAA.com or thru Edmunds website. At Edmunds, go thru:

Home> New Cars> Lexus> RX 350> 2012 RX 350 SUV> Base Price With Options

It gives you MSRP, a good idea of invoice as well as estimate of what others paid.

Good luck!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new small luxury SUV (like a X3, Q5 and RX 350) recently. If you are interested in sharing your story, please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please send your contact info, the name of the make/model you bought and a few examples of models that you also considered.
    Thanks so much for the reply despite me posting in the wrong forum : )
    Very helpful.
  • hopshops Member Posts: 1
    Hi!--

I am looking for a 2012 RX350 for my parents who live near the Knoxville, TN area. I read a post from 3 years ago that mentioned the arrogance/rudeness of the Knoxville dealer. Has anyone recently had a good negotiation with this dealer? Or should I be looking in a different state?

Thanks!
    Hops
    Vincent:

Can you give us the exact Bottom MSRP number of ONLY the factory window sticker ? MSRP is full suggested retail by the way. Nobody pays that of course, but the mark up is based on that minus invoice. Then we'll have Dealer incentives to try to figure, if we are after real dealer cost of that car. Some of them we know..not all.

And separately, if a separate dealer sticker is on there showing any dealers add -ons ?

Then we can hit it pretty close.
  • vincentbayuvincentbayu Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Nazzy,
    The MSRP is $48338. It's a AWD with 19" wheels + Nav. I was told the invoice is $45226. How much would you offer the dealer for this car?

Vincent
    edited February 2012
    That invoice price they told you is nonsense. That's only 6.5 %. A well equipped Rx has at least 12%, without holdback and incentives. Lexus holdback is 2% of the Base Price of the car, and he gets that back from the factory. Always.

If that IS the car you're ready to buy, and, If ,that is the final MSRP from factory sticker, and there are no dealer add-ons, I would offer Him , tops , $43600 plus tax and license. But don't do it until you are ready to buy, right then. Not over the phone, be there. I'd walk out if he says he can't do it. He'll probably stop you or call you at home later. And if he doesn't go to another dealer and see if you find one you want and try again. This is my personal feeling only if i was buying that car.

You can bet he's making a decent profit still with his Holdback % and other dealer/factory incentives only they know. And actual dealer cost is well below that offer.
    Also, keep in mind, Lexus is now doing a national campaign, with 1.9% APR Financing for 60 months on New certain Lexus models, including the RX. That's a good deal In my book.

Tell me again what town you are in ?
  • ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    Max offer 42K, this is the going rate based on what I have seen on this posting, especially the car is going to be refreshed in May with new bumper and navigation media system. Dealer here in Northern ca have about 25 RX on lot which are slowly selling and they are begging for business. Be patient and they will call to make a deal.