Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Based on these numbers and my experience, I would try to get as close to $45,900 as possible, thus I'd offer $45,000 and go as high as maybe 46000,
    Good luck
    Steve
  • reddyincreddyinc Member Posts: 1
    I am in ST Louis and trying to buy RX350. Dealers are quoting close to MSRP but reading this board I am seeing near 10% of MSRP.

Willing to travel to Chicago or 200 mile radius to buy the car. Appreciate any suggestions.
  • gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    It seems the prices people get in the Midwest are higher than, say, in California. It's not impossible to get a good quote below invoice, but you probably be about $1K below at best. Good luck!
  • gt1013gt1013 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steve, I live in the Bay Area and planning to buy an RX 350. Can I just outright tell the dealership to take out doc fees and other add ons?? I understand that it's part of the 'fees' like taxes, destination, etc that you pay when you buy a new car or am I mistaken?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Doc fees in CA are restricted to $80..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2013
    You are correct.. dealers add doc fee's onto your negotiated sale price along with dmv fee's and taxes. If dealer wont remove doc fee's you add them onto your asking price.. that would make it a wash on the bill of sale.. you need to ask dealer if he will remove doc fee's before you agree on a price.
    i buy several cars every few years and i find most dealerships wont remove there doc fee's.

The key to getting a good deal is buying the last days of any month and knowing each dealerships doc fee's before making your offer to buy.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• medt123medt123 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    I got offer $39261.76 all fees/taxes included (after $8500 trade in).

They offered $4900 discount below MSRP ($49530), which is 9.98% below MSRP. Doc Fee is $590

My final counter-offer was $38000 including $8500 trade in (about $6000 below MSRP - 12.11%) and I am awaiting their response.

Any advice?

2013 RX 350 FWD
    Navigation System With Backup Camera Package*

$49,530
    MSRP *
    Base MSRP
    $39,660*
    Packages
    $8,720
    Accessories
    $255
    Delivery, Processing
    & Handling
    $895*

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Package Details:

Navigation System with Backup Camera Package
    Premium Package with Blind Spot Monitor
    Comfort Package
    19-inch 7-spoke aluminum alloy wheels
    Intuitive Parking Assist
    Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob
    Towing Prep Package
    Premium Audio System
    edited May 2013
    Bought similar configuration for$43445 and it went to $44183 (all fees included $738) + $2316 TAVT (GA TAX) to be able to get desired color combination.

TOTAL out of dealership cost $46500

MSRP was $49637 the vehicle negotiated price was about $6200 below MSRP (12.5%) and my total cost (all fees/taxes included) $46500.
  • chaozardchaozard Member Posts: 1
    Do you mind sharing the dealership name? Thanks!
    Nalley Galeria Lexus
    Smyrna GA
    Ask for Heather, internet sales manager.
    I went through PenFed car buying service and got 0.74% financing for 48 months.
  • bqlibqli Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I am in the searching of Lexus RX 350, I went to Wilkie lexus this Friday and the price they quote was $250 above invoice plus $719 LDA, so it is $1000 above invoice price, how do you think this deal? Any commands or buying experience is appreciated.
  • sk52sk52 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, this is my first time car shopping. I'm looking to purchase a white 2010 rx 350 awd with nav around 30k miles or less.
    I found one that had 26k miles, special internet sticker price of $32990, reg sticker $34990 and they offered me 36k out the door. I went home and offered them 33k, and a few hours later they told me they sold it for 36k. I wasn't too upset though because it had a lot of little nicks and more wear than necessary on the drivers side seat and I really didn't take a liking to the salesman and manager there.

I went to another location, sticker price $37k for a 30k mile car. They offered me 36k as well as a bottom line price. Car was in much better condition with new tires but has 4k more miles and no rear sensors. Seemed like a more thorough and better dealership. did not charge me anything aside from tax, registration fees, although it seems their price is more inflated than other dealers in the tri-state area which in the end, I ended up at 36k.

Anyway, for my specs.
    CPO WHITE 2010 30K LESS MILES, AWD NAV. What price should I be aiming for on this 3 year old car? What is a avg quote, what is a good quote? Any responses would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
    I'm looking to buy a car as soon as possible, like Monday god willing, but in max, two weeks time, you think there would be more cars rolling in? It's been really hard to find the white 2010's with nav.
  • msysinfomsysinfo Member Posts: 11
    Does the invoice price include the destination charge? or is in addition to the invoice price? in FL the best I have got a quote is $200 below invoice.

Anyone bought in FL recently?
    Please share your experience of RX350 price in Florida? How much below invoice price?
    The destination is part of the invoice price. Its non-negotiable.

You should be able to get good deals in Florida since there are many dealers. Call several dealers on the phone and see if they can meet "your" price. Only then, do you walk into the dealership.

Don't ask for a quote. You drive the negotiation process. Tell them your price, but calculate it approx. $2000 below invoice. Keep in mind they have an approx. 3% holdback which is approx 3% of the base MSRP. That means that even if they sell at invoice they make a minimum profit of 3%. They also have other incentives.

Make sure you control the process. Never ask them for a quote.
    Steve
    Steve is right about negotiating.... Adding to.. You should start your buying process the last week of any month preferably the last 2 days,last day. Dealers trying to make there sales quotas/ incentives are more inclined to sell hundreds of dollars cheaper than the 1st 3weeks of any month.

Invoice price and dest/charge are 2 different prices.

Destination charge is a seperate charge that all consumers have to pay to ship Vehicle from port to dealership that is added onto the bill of sale.\

When you negotiate a price with any dealer... Your offer should be

xxx price with dest charge included to avoid any mis- understanding

• northernplusnorthernplus Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    Destination Charges:

Several years ago on another car forum, a member posted a copy of a factory-to-dealer invoice document (GM), comparing it to the standard dealer invoicing for this individual car, (We all have been shown this last invoicing at one time or the other by dealers.) there was a price difference that could only be accounted for by adjusting the actual destination charge lower. I posted my observation. That forum had many dealers who were constantly on it. If I was not correct, I expected many rebuttals to my post. Not one person, dealer or other responded. That told me what I wanted to know.

Four years ago I was negotiating the purchase of a new car (VW) when dealers were really hurting (at the end of the month too). Being very persistent in my negotiating, I said, "And another thing, these destination charges are "soft" too aren't they?" The salesman said nothing. I asked the same question again. The salesman nodded his head "Yes".

Also, how can it cost a dealer who's business is near a manufacturing plant (Corvette only one plant in KY.) the same shipping cost as a dealer who is 2,000 miles away?
    edited June 2013
    I have been buying new vehicles for nearly 40 years. Some of those years i have helped family and friends buy about 30 cars in a year.. I truly believe that the Msrp/ invoice price, along with the destination charge are all made up/ inflated numbers . Pricing Set by the Car manufacturers to help dealerships make money.

I'm sure there is a fee for delivery of these cars,trucks that car companies make us pay. This is another charge we take for granted. Could it be possible that each vehicle del said to be 700 to 900 dollars is really 2 or 3 hundred due to the Volume of Cars and discounts for Car companies... just a thought.

We have websites like Kellys, Edmunds, Aol auto, Consumer Reports, etc. These sites lead us to believe that MSRP, and Invoice pricing are real. So this is what we go buy.

Nobody really knows what the true Invoice cost the dealerships are paying.

.......................................OR

How much MORE below the so called dealer-holdback on every vehicle the dealer makes . There are dealers who will go hundreds if not thousands below that holdback number. Makes you wonder about pricing????????????

Thanks. Is there anyway to guess / predicate holdbacks, etc?
    You can find that dealer hold backs on the Edmunds home page.
    Very important piece of info when negotiating a new car deal.

• blarfblarf Member Posts: 14
    What would be a stellar deal for a new 2013RX 350 with Nav,premium, comfort packages....at this time of the year?
    edited June 2013
    12 to 15% off dealers msrp

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    By law, destination charges are a fixed flat fee. They CANNOT be different to different locations, otherwise dealers would have an unfair pricing advantage vs. others based on location. This is not the case and has never been the case. Dealers cannot legally be charged different amounts than others for a vehicle, period.

The only thing you may see vary between dealers, depending on brand, is the advertising fee from the manufacturer to dealer, based on their specific ad group. Usually in a metro area, they are the same between all dealers.

I have had a few clients ask bizarre questions regarding destination, and where you may have seen a nod, it may have simply been the sales associate shocked you would ask such a question.
    12-15% before or after taxes?
  • mmejiammejia Member Posts: 9
    I think 45k plus ttl would be a great deal.
    If you can get it cheaper than 45k good for you.
    Tell them you will only pay 44k and see if you get it.
    before taxes

and no doc fees. If they insist on doc fees then reduce your offer accordingly by the amount of the doc fees.
    I agree with an estimate of 12-15% below MSRP

Philosophically, I don't think 1% ($500) matters if you are buying a luxury car.

I don't think one should be buying such a car if he/she cannot afford it.

But I do agree that nobody wants to be ripped off.

Make sure you can afford it, research TrueCar, Penfed car buying service, Carsdirect, etc., get a general idea about the price, set up your limit and drive negotiations as Steve suggested. Sellers are (nowadays) not in a better position than us buyers.
    I agree with this comment in principle:
    "Philosophically, I don't think 1% ($500) matters if you are buying a luxury car"

However, it matters more to you as the buyer than the dealer. With that type of thinking, the dealer can always make an "extra" $500. Of course, I can afford it or else I wouldn't be there. But I want to get the best deal I can. I would feel awful "throwing away" an extra $500. That's about 10 nice dinners out.

Steve
    Steve,

you are right, but again if one is in the market for a luxury car and gets $500 worse deal than somebody else it is OK, it is not the end of the world.

If it does matter then that person should not be buying a Lexus or whatever else.

And opposite. If somebody is buying a $5000 car $500 is a big (10%) difference but a $50 difference should be OK.
  • thientienthientien Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2013 RX350 AWD with as little options as possible. At the moment, there are 2 dealers around my area having the 2013 model with the Premium package only, none of them carry any base AWD. MSRP for the Premium package would be 47k, how much should I pay it? I live in Seattle, WA and there are only 3 Lexus Dealers around. People online were discussing how they can get 11% off MSRP, that would make this car around 41.5k before tax. Thanks for your input.
    Target $2000 below invoice. In my case I bought $2K below invoice but paid $400 Doc Fee.

Also, it is almost 'impossible' to get without the premium package... unless you're willing to wait.

Good luck & enjoy the process.
  • thientienthientien Member Posts: 8
    How much is the invoice for this car? Truecar did not show it.
  • rupirupi Member Posts: 5
    To me, its the satisfaction of getting the best deal that matters the most!
    Try Costcoauto.com, it provides invc prices. You do not need to be a member to check. good luck
  • justinm313justinm313 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I've currently got the following deal on the table in Texas:

2013 RX 350 Nav + Prem Pack w/blind spot + comfort - $49,275 MSRP

Sales price = $45,080 ($4195 disc off MSRP)
    Minus $1500 LFS lease rebate = $43.580

Is this a good deal or do I have some more room?

I'm still negotiating on the MF and residual for the lease but hope to get close to the buy rate posted by Carman (MF .00075, Residual 58%).

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Justin
    How about a CPO 2013 RX350 with 3,000miles with Nav, premium package with blind spot, cooled seats... for about $41,000 plus TTL? good deal or not?
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    Florida, vehicle has 250 miles, nav. Premium and F sports app. Package, total accessories $8,880, dest. 895, base price $39,660 for a total $49,435 --sales price is $41,999-sounds to good to be true, clean car fax also, vehicle is four months old.
  • sooznaplessooznaples Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    What color is this car, where in Florida is it located? Why is it for sale? Are you the seller or is this a dealer? Interesting??? :sick:
  • buycartoday77buycartoday77 Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the same shoes. I've been talking to Atlanta dealers and here is the last price I'm considering...

Base RX350 AWD $39,660
    Premium Pkg 2,260
    Wood Steering/knob 330
    Cargo Mat 105
    Cargo Net 59
    Delivery & Handling 895
    MSRP $43,309

My offer, exclusive of sales tax cause I don't live in GA, was total drive-off of $38,997, which is $4312 or 10% off of MSRP.

Truecar says that's a great price. What do you think?
    You meant 2WD or AWD?

If you get it ~ $2000 under invoice then you made a good deal. Try to negotiate with your local dealer with the quote from GA - and they may match it...

good luck
  • tdalmightytdalmighty Member Posts: 2
    This forum was invaluable for me in my buying experience, so I wanted to give back:

2013 RX350 AWD Nebula Gray w/Michelins
    Base: 41,060
    Comfort Pkg: 1,340
    19" wheels: 770
    Nav System: 2775
    Park Assist: 500
    Premium Pkg: 2,260
    Tow Pkg: 245
    Steering Wheel Upgrade: 330
    Cross Bars: 259
    Accessory Pkg: 255
    Subtotal: 49,794
    Delivery Fee: 895
    MSRP Total: 50,689

Selling Price: 44,203
    Doc Fee: 149
    Dealer Inventory Tax: 93 (not mandatory)
    Total Price: 44,445 (before mandatory state taxes and title fees)

I did not buy any protection packages and I brought in my own financing. They did not know about my trade until the sale and purchase agreement was already drafted. On the trade, I received as much for it (when combined with the immediate tax savings) as I was hoping to get selling it on my own. The experience was stressful and at times almost hostile, but the wife is happy now.
    Congrats on the new ride. I think you got a good deal except for the Doc fee and dealer inventory tax. These are just add-ons by the dealer to increase their profits. There is no (regardless of what they say) requirement for these fees.

I successfully "fight" the doc fee about 90% of the time. I've done that on cars I buy for myself and friends and family who ask me to negotiate for them.

In your case, I would would tell the dealer something like "Do you really want to loose this sale over $250?" That money means more to you than the dealer. Its a couple of nights out in fine restaurants.

Again, enjoy.
    Steve
  • tdalmightytdalmighty Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    The price including dealer fees was $2800 below invoice and 12.3% off of MSRP. Judging by past posts--not to shabby I think.

As far as the dealer fees, I think it is important to not lose sight of the big picture when negotiating. Your bank account and the dealer's bank account do not know the difference between vehicle price and dealer fees. For this reason, I ask for the full sale and purchase agreement from each dealer and start negotiating on OTD price. As OTD price goes down, the dealer will choose between reducing the vehicle price or the dealer fees. I have found in the past that fighting on the dealer fees can be avoided if you take this approach and the dealer is likely to be more accomodating on overall price if you let them check their boxes with the fees.

Another piece of buying advice that I do not agree with: calling and getting price quotes without visiting the dealership first. In my experience, most dealerships intentionally build buffers into their price quotes over the phone because they know you are just going to "shop" their number and have a low probability of buying from them. Taking the time to go to the dealership shows you are serious and they will likely take you more seriously during the negotiating process. In addition, I have found that without going to the dealership you will not get an complete sale and purchase agreement with a written OTD number. Without an SPA and OTD number, you really do not know what kind of deal you are getting.

Lastly, as you are negotiating with several dealers, you will know when you are getting close to the final price. Some will simply say, "There is nothing I can do for you, take that offer from the other dealer" OR "That just cannot be a real number, I do not believe you" At that point, you are close to the finish line...
  • chinsachinsa Member Posts: 1
    Can you please share the dealer name and location?
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    The vehicle is located in Miami, Kendall is the dealer, I have talked to them about the vehicle. It is listed on auto trader, with pictures
    I would wait for the June 29th or 30th and offer $36500 and accept $37000.
  • 911seeker911seeker Member Posts: 16
    Hello All,
    I went to an MA Lexus dealer today for buying a RX 350 AWD

Comfort Pkg
    Premium Audio Pkg
    Navigation System
    Intuitive parking assist
    Premium Pkg
    Towing Prep Pkg
    Preferred Accessory Pkg

MSRP 49660, I asked for 43500 12% below MSRP. Dealer's last quote was 44900. I walked away from the deal.

Please provide me with your thoughts and inputs. It would be very helpful for me as I'm going to a dealer in CT this week.
    Congrats for walking away. Now call another MA dealer (as I did), negotiate on the phone. Make your offer. Tell them you will come in to buy today only if they agree with your price.

I called 5 dealers in the Boston area till I got my price. It was worth it. I also bought on the 30th of the month.
    Steve
  • frank_zhongfrank_zhong Member Posts: 3
    I am living in MA too. Could you share which Lexus dealer for your deal? I do appreciate your kindness.

Frank Z.