Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Engine Questions

2»

Comments

• leleuleleu Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 Toyota Tacoma is running rough on idle. The engine light is on and I get code 300 random/multiple misfire, and 302, number 2 cylinder misfire. I replaced the spark plugs, and swaped the electronic coils in between the spark plugs, but still get the same codes. Can anyone help please?
  • jerry3399jerry3399 Member Posts: 1
    DTC 171 FUEL TRIM TOO LEAN,USING A TOYOTA SCAN TOOL. WE ARE SHOWING THE LONG TERM TRIM AT 39% AND SHORT TERM AT17%. CHECKED FOR AIR LEAKS,OXY.SENSOR,MASS AIR FLOW,AND COOLANT TEMP.SENSOR,ALL IN NORMAL RANGE. WHAT IS CAUSING THE LONG TERM TRIM TO BE HIGH?
  • leleuleleu Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I solved my problem with the #2 cylinder misfire on my 2000 tacoma 4cyl./2.4L and the code that i always got, PO 302 and PO 300. I was missing the ground cable from the battery to the body of the truck. Now I have a compression problem on #2 cylinder, I only get 90 psi where #1, #3, and #4 have 120 psi. I removed the fuel injectors and lubed the O-rings and increased the psi to 150 on #1, #3, and #4 but it lowered it on #2 to 80 psi, also swapped #1 and #2 injectors. Anyone has any input on how to improve compression or what to check? Appreciate the help.
  • xunehxuneh Member Posts: 1
    I know it's a little late, but I just found this forum while looking for an answer to my own problem. (random missfire) Anyways, I went though the same thing about a year ago. You've got a stuck valve in your #2 cyl..
    Have fun pulling the head, then take it to machine shop and have them do a valve job.
    If you do find this to be the problem let me know, it could be a problem with the head casting, something that Toyota might be willing to adress. Anyone else with this problem (#2 Cyl. only) please let me know.
    2000 Tacoma 2.4 312k and still going strong.
  • kwh572kwh572 Member Posts: 1
    I have trouble getting my truck to start when the weather is hot (above 90) and when I add gas to it. I put a scanner on it and the code came up as "po441" which is something about the EVAP system purge flow fault. Any other time it starts right up. Even when I do have trouble starting it, it will run fine after it gets going. Looking for solutions.
  • plyonsplyons Member Posts: 1
    When I first start the engine in am. the idle races to 2000 rpms before settling down to 1000 (which seems normal)) I have had it in for service to no avail. It just does it after sitting for 6 hours or more--any advice???
  • daniel37daniel37 Member Posts: 1
    I just rebuilt my 2.7 liter toyota tacoma 4x4 motor and my truck dies every time I turn it on and let it idle. If i turn it on and drive it right away it does't die at all it runs fine. My responce is... is this whats happening to your truck cause i cant figure out why mine is doing this i replaced the crank positon censor replaced my computer and still dies. have you tried doind that?
  • troy18troy18 Member Posts: 1
    i have read many !!! posts about this drivers side engine tick not one has the answer to what it is does anyone know what is making the noise
  • kiddvegaskiddvegas Member Posts: 1
    i have 98 4cyl tacoma, check eng light just came on, running very rough, has new plugs,wires,air filter....do i have to take it to a dealer to read the check eng codes or can i do that at home to make cheaper repairs myself...
  • 1knight1knight Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2006 tacoma 2.7L manual shift that does the same thing on cold starts, it revs up to about 2500 rpms for about 20 seconds before idling down.
    my truck also revs up to about 2500---3000 rpms when shifting from 4th to 5th gear for about 5---8 seconds before idling back down, I think it is a vacum problem but I have not yet figured out how to correct the problem do you also have this issue?
  • markusssssmarkusssss Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem exactly #2 80 psi #1,3,4 150 psi intermitant I did a dry and wet staied about the same except once read 150 on # 2 because i think the valve shut once but remaind stuck 4 most of the time ...Did You find out if it was indeed a factory recall???? well thanks for the posts for all of us that just need help...
  • myrpmmyrpm Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I've a '98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab (4 cylinder) that has been stumbling while driving down the road. After a while, the Check Engine Light indicates EGR excess flow error code. Occassionally, the light goes back off, but the stumbling continues. The exhaust manifold has been replaced a while back (it was cracked) but other than that, only routine maintenance has kept it in the shop. I've taken it to 2 Toyota dealerships and both have said it checks out fine (no problems) on their diagnostic systems and they could replace the EGR valve to correct the issue with the Check Engine Light. Other than that, their only alternative is to start replacing parts. I had the EGR valve by-passed by a local mechanic and he stated it would stop stumbling if it were the EGR valve, but driving it with the EGR disabled, it still stumbled. I've attempted to test the harnesses from the EGR to the ECM and my basic tests with a multimeter suggests they are fine. I've no where to turn and am not a mechanic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other thoughts:

When it "stumbles" its very significant almost like it completely loses engine power for a split second.
    It stumbles at constant speeds, at acceleration/deceleration.
    If using Cruise Control (CC), when it stumbles CC will speed you up 4-5 mph faster for a period of 30+ seconds.
    Spark Plugs and Wires were changed and rechanged using aftermarket and factory wires.
    Check engine light stays on a majority of the time and occassionally turns off.
    Stumbling occurs several times with each trip.
    Highway miles mostly (have 1/4 mile long dirt driveway).
    Stumbling occurs whether engine is cold or been running for a while (makes no difference).
    Outside temperature seems to have no effect (18-98 degrees winter/summer in GA).
    Have ran it a couple of times with 98 octane and fuel enhancement formula and no change in results. I typically run it with 87 grade fuel.
    Initially the stumbling was faint and seldom, but has eventually become more common and pronounced.
    This has been going on for 2 years or longer.

Is there any steps I can take to further diagnose this vehicle?
  • myrpmmyrpm Member Posts: 2
  • grizz2534grizz2534 Member Posts: 2
  • grizz2534grizz2534 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Tacoma 3.4L V6 5 speed manual with about 128K miles. Over the last couple weeks my truck as randomly lost power. I can floor it in neutral and it will maybe get to 3000 RPM. Seems to happen more if I start the truck and start driving right away, especially at night. But if I let it sit even 2 minutes before driving it works fine. I notice it loses power mostly on the highway. I'll be going 65-70mph in 5th gear then it stutter and drop to 45-50. then it's down hill from there. Last week while going to work I had been driving for about 45 minutes total with no problem. Then I was on the highway and power drop. I got off the interstate and was on a side road going up a slight incline and I couldn't get it over 20mph and it almost died when I put it in 3rd gear. Seems like when it hit 2000 rpm it loses power and can't accelerate at all. I am mechanically retarded. Any advice would help. I'm either going to take out a student loan to pay to fix it or take out the loan and trade the truck in for a car.

Thanks in advance,
    Dustin.
  • tpritchtpritch Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    When I run my A/C water will run down from under my dash on both passager and driver side. My assumption is the A/C drain is clogged up? What would anyone suggest? If it is clogged how do I unclog it?
  • tpritchtpritch Member Posts: 2
    To start my 2001 Tocoma I have to push the clutch down and push the clutch override button, then turn the key. Why! Is there a switch on my clutch pedal that needs replacing?
  • elkwalkerelkwalker Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    My 2006 Tacoma TRD 4.3l V6 4x4 dual-cab I put a K&N Air Intake has a bad vibration at drive idle I put it in neutral and it goes away. Maybe not the vibration but the noise anyway. Has anyone had same experience or any suggestions how to stop it?
  • thedeicidethedeicide Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem. my 2002 tacoma has trouble starting when it is hot outside and it idles rough when filling with gas. i have a new fuel filter,pump,fuel psi regulator, charcoal canister and it still does this??? can anyone help??? once it starts it runs great and it starts right away when cool outside?
  • tonyd924tonyd924 Member Posts: 1
    My '11 Tacoma has about 4,500 miles on it and the engine noises drive me absolutely crazy! It sounds like an exhaust leak of some kind (during acceleration) and loud valve-tapping coming from the top and bottom areas of the engine (at idle). I have to drive with the radio on to help drown out the noises which are to the point of making me not want to drive the truck when I actually love the truck otherwise. Can anyone PLEASE tell me if you're familiar with what I'm referring to and what needs to be done to fix these incredibly annoying noises. I do have an appointment with the dealer in the near future and I'm hoping they actually find and fix the problems but I anticipate I'll hear the usual "We can't reproduce it" or "It's normal" excuse. I'm certainly not a vehicle mechanic but I am 100% certain this is NOT normal. Thanks in advance for the input!
  • jvisajvisa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2 wheel drive with auto trans. Sometimes when I am stopped at a light, it feels like it bucks foward a bit causeing me to step harder on brake peddle. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
  • jvisajvisa Member Posts: 2
  • c130andc5fec130andc5fe Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a reply to your question? I have a 97 tacoma and it does the samething right in the range of 2600 - 3100 rpm. I had all the coils, spark plugs, and wires replaced, and still it continues. The Mech told me he thought it could be the timing belt but at this point I was sick of spending more money on the problem than what the truck is worth. I am thinking it could be that and or the crankshaft position sensor.
  • cheo57cheo57 Member Posts: 2
  • cheo57cheo57 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new 2011 toyota tacoma V6 double cab and after the 5000 mile oil change its made this weird noise. All the dealerships i go to tell me its normal. Can anyone help me ? or is anyone having the same problem?
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    A neighbor of mine has a '95 Tacoma with the V-6 motor and is having the devil's time trying to get the crankshaft pulley off to replace the timing belt. He's broken a breaker bar and 2 rachets trying to remove the pulley bolt. He SAYS the engine rotates clockwise, now is this true? If the crank pulley spins clockwise then the lefty-loosey, righty tighty applies. Just tell me it's not COUNTER CLOCKWISE before I lend him MY tools. He also says a local auto parts store will rent him a tool to do this job. And there isn't a lot of room to work in that space. I told him if you pull the radiator out, I have an electric impact gun that I firmly believe would take that bolt out of there right quick! Any help you can provide us with would be deeply appreciated!
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    This neighbor gave up on trying to get his crank pulley off his Tacoma yesterday and had it towed to a garage. I again offered to try my impact gun if he pulled out the radiator but I guess he didn't want to go any further and was just interested in getting the truck off the street. Hope it won't cost him too much, but I'd be inclined to think that any reputable garage would charge $500 plus to do such a job. Thanks anyway, people.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Interesting posts. when I Googled "remove the crankshaft pulley on a Toyota", the first step was always remove the radiator to get working room.

There were about 6-8 different ways mentioned to get the bolt loose.
  • rrrrobrrrrob Member Posts: 1
    You probably already rectified your issue. My problem ended up being the MAF. Dealer price unbelievable. Napa Auto had it for $100 and change.
  • dan2011dan2011 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab truck about 6 months after I bought it started to make a ticking noise. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like an exhaust leak on the drivers side. I have taken it to the dealer twice to have it looked at and the service adviser said that noise is normal for my truck? It seems to be worse when the truck is cold (set over night). It just doesn't sound right to me because it didn't sound like this when I bought it. Anyone else having this problem?
  • mtnrider2mtnrider2 Member Posts: 1
    What does MAF stand for? I'm having similar issues w/ my 98 Tacoma, 6 cylinder, 4x4
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • neroaugustusneroaugustus Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 106K miles that usually begins to shake and vibrate when it(the engine) is cold, usually in the mornings, and when it is not moving. I have no idea of what might be wrong with it or what causes it to shake. I would really appreciate it if y'all can tell what might be causing this.
  • neroaugustusneroaugustus Member Posts: 2
  • kansashunterkansashunter Member Posts: 1
    I am getting my 2012 back from the dealer in a couple of hours from having the same problem looked at. The service dept. took the intake off my truck, took the valve cover off, checked and micrometered every thing and can find nothing wrong. I first noticed and fussed about a slight ticking at a couple thousand miles. It has gotten louder as time has gone on, so at 8300 miles, I had the dealer check it out. Now that they tell me they can find nothing wrong, I am more baffled than before. The dealer pulled a new 2013 truck with less than 10 miles on it in beside mine. It makes the same ticking noise. Crazy!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tacoman8tacoman8 Member Posts: 3
    make sure all your hoses and clamps are tight and you didnt accidently miss any hoses sounds like a vaccum leak some were dont omit any sensors just one could fowl up the idle
    It sounds like you have a bad EGR valve and there some issue with your engine I would bring that puppy back to toyota with 4,500 miles on the board and let them go thru it do not waste time or it could come unglued and check your oil to make sure you do not blow it with low oil or none see your toyota people a.s.a.p
  • nsassytigger05nsassytigger05 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same truck and the dealer in va told me it comes from the gas we have to use it cleaning ur injector from the gas.
    I have a 2009 toyota tacoma with the 2.7 engine in it mine makes the same ticking noise at idle toyta makes crappy trucks they do not stand behind their product last toyota product i will buy ever this truck is a gas pig and toyota did nothin to repair flaws with truck their dealers are con artists and rip off artists and i hope their country sinks in the sea they screwed me for $18,500.99 every body should stop buying toyota put them out of business for good..