Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• rkoeslerrkoesler Posts: 62
    Well, I'm still here ! Hello "wasko"! I still can't believe that people are complaining so much about LR gas mileages. I've yet to get less than 16.5 mpg on my 00 DII (unless I'm off-road, in low box). I get 19 on the highway. I've said it many times before, that is better, or just as good, as my Toyota 4x4 (small) truck. And off-road, there is NO comparison.

Also, at 15,000 miles, I've not yet had even one problem to complain about, aside from the minor, occasional body or suspension noise you hear when the road is rough.

I went to the Int'l. auto show two days ago, and planted my butt in every SUV there - there is nothing that compares to the land rover in style, comfort, seating position, and I'm sure, off-road ability. Most of these damn "carified" SUV's all look the same, and your [non-permissible content removed] is way down in the seat , just like a stupid car. I thank god I was smart enough to get a square, box like, real truck before FORD ruins it and turns it into a mamamobile.
  • erikjerikj Posts: 14
    Oops. I had thought otherwise.

- EJ
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    have a lot of money tied up in their dealerships, especially the stand alone Centres. There are at present 130 Land Rover dealers in the US, 87 are Centres. Sales last year were about 28,000 vehicles, so on average a retailer sells 17 vehicles per month. That's one reason that their isn't a lot of discounts on Land Rover's. An average medium domestic dealer sells 2-300 cars per month, and they are constantly undercutting each other, hence they sell at just over invoice.
  • dakota16dakota16 Posts: 1
    About one year ago I purchased a new 2000 Discovery II fully loaded from Land Rover Mission Viejo, California. My experience was not a pretty one. After driving the truck home, the next morning at startup the drivers seat failed to work and the ACE suspension also failed and would not work, due to a broken ACE actuator. Taking 2 weeks to get a part to fix. Next the truck would steer and veer dangerously and after a dealer inspections, they found the steering stabilizer had disconnected. This with less then 100 miles. One week later, my wife took it to the store and our children ages 4-2 and 6 mos got locked/trapped inside. Nothing would unlock the doors and when the key was tried in the drivers door it would just spin, it was hooked to nothing. Very scary! The story goes on and on, the truck has had 72 problem, here are the highlights. Front differential spun a bearing front gears and bearings changes-2330 miles, Brakes failed-replaced 3 times rotors and pads-450 miles. Locks on entire truck changed 3 times due to malfunction. Windshield heating element broke had to be replace, one week later new windshield cracked due to poor installation. Lights inside worked right maybe a handful of times. Truck leaked everywhere, ACE pump,tranny. At startup truck would smoke due to a bad valve seat. Transmission fluid line exploded on highway almost causing a major crash, then ABS brakes failed due to trans fluid spraying on them. Seat switches, window motors, locks, windshield, drive train, transmission, brakes, idler pulley . This truck was in the shop all the time, $18000 in warranty service work in the first 6 months. This is the first time I had a problem with transportation. I wish this experience on no-one, I bought a Lemon. My point in writing this is more about the hassle of owning a Lemon. I was not treated well by Land Rover USA or Land Rover Mission Viejo. No customer should have to go through the hassles offered by Land Rover. It took me 1 year, a Lemon Law lawyer and the loss of a family transpotation to finally get them to take it back. When I did take it in to get my money back, the dealer tried to charge me over $3000 for bogus repairs. They cracked the headlight washer cover which is plastic and failed and had to be fixed under warranty. They wanted $300 for a $20 plastic cover. The dealers love these trucks, because they get paid warranty monies to fix these things. They make out while you drive a rent a car. What I did after two weeks of delivery, was not make a payment to BMW leasing, for the duration 1 year. The Lemon Law lawyer, told the leasing company they too would be brought into the suit, so they took no payments and did not report on credit. BMW credit was very understanding and a class act. Next the lawyer had the truck independantly looked at and verified all problems. If you are looking to buy one be careful, a machine can be fixed or replaced, but the time and effort involved for me was such burden on me and my family. I have owned many new cars and trucks, many Mercedes, including a ML 320 which was traded in on this Land Rover. The customer service through the Mercedes brand is much better, Land Rover has along way to go. My final comment is when I went to buy that Land Rover, I wanted something to drive and explore with. I did not want a truck that I had to take to the dealer every week. My Mercedes' get service 2 to 3 times during a 2 year lease and then get turn back in, that what I expect. Good luck to all current and future owners.
  • patmarcpatmarc Posts: 2
    Just an update on my Rover experience so far. My 2000 DII, loaded sans ACE, now has 15000 miles. So far we have put up with 1) small coolant leak (yippee, I'm a "real Roverer"), 2)one burnt parking light, 3)one check engine lighting after a torrential rainstorm, 4)electrical failure caused by wire short, 5)stabilizer bar replacement caused by improper towing (see#4).
    Everything was replaced/restored under warranty by an extremely courteous service department. When She runs there is nothing better. When problems happen, I can't wait to get her out of the shop.
    My Toyota pickup is as reliable as my Seiko watch but there is no emotional attachment. The Seiko resides in my bureau, the Toyota spends most of the time at the deer lease. The Discovery that I drive, like the Omega that I wear, was hand-built by craftsmen that were focused with the task of building the best product that they could make (hopefully not just before or after a soccer weekend).
    Are there vehicles with better build records? No argument there, yes. Would I own them? Why bother, I already have one of the best purpose-built, fun, luxurious, vehicles made.
    Last note, I have nothing against the gas mileage. I just wish that it was regular fuel that it burned. And, judging from previous posts it looks like how the Dealership handles your "challenges" makes all the difference in how your come to appreciate your truck.

Happy Rovering,
    Pat
  • mwilmemwilme Posts: 8
    We took at a look at a Disco this last weekend and I was surprised at the small door openings. The front doors only seem to open to about 60 degrees and the rear doors about the same with a narrower opening and the chance as you get out to rub your pants/dress/coat over the body metal of the wheel arch potentiall transferring road dirt to your clothes.

Is this something that is a real world issue ???
  • erikjerikj Posts: 14
    The door openings are smaller (especially in back) mainly because the D-II wheelbase is pretty short (100"). The short wheelbase is an example of the overall D-II design bias for off-road use.

I have 2 small kids. The oldest has no problem scampering in and out without getting dirty as long he does not rub up or (more typically) lean on the tires (an issue for any car). My youngest has to be put into a child seat by hand. The height of the car can make it awkward for less-than-tall people to maneuver a small child into the car seat. But that's not usually a door-size issue.

The rear arch can get dusty after off-roading, but not so much from regular use. I live in a dry climate so someone else might have to comment on how wet the arch gets in rainy weather. In any case, I can't recall a problem getting clothes messed up by the wheel arch.

Hope this helps,

- EJ
  • mwilmemwilme Posts: 8
    Reading through the posts on this baord there are a lot of negative posts. Now either the LR is a 'bad' vehicle with a range of problems or the people who have the problems are posting them and the happy owners are out off roading and not posting.

which is it ?

Please try to be fair.

Also - TMV for an SD is quoted by Edmunds at 31,720, which seems reasonable. Does anyone know if LR is offering special financing or leasing on this vehicle or what the forecast resuidual is at 3 years / 36K miles ?
    Land Rover has a $399 Lease on the SD and has reduced the customer down payment $1000 to $1995. They also have 4.9 financing for 36 month, 5.9 financing on 48/60 month purchases.
  • jwl2001jwl2001 Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II last October in San Diego. Its a Silver SE7, with ACE and lightstone interior. As a side note, it did not have the rear air. The benefit is you have more rear cargo room than rear air equipped vehicles.

Based on several of the negative posts on this site, we were somewhat skeptical to proceed, but based on comparison test drives of Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5, Toyota 4Runner and the likes, the Discovery met our needs the best - real off-road capability, 7 passenger capacity, and a luxury feel. Fit and finish was the best, quality feel/toughness was by far the best, the ACE suspension gave the best road feel and confidence, versatility was best, ride height and panaromic viewing was the best, and looks were unique and attractive.

We were able to negotiate $2000 off list.

To date, we've accumulated approximately 7000 miles, all of which have been trouble free. The ride is tight, the engine, though relatively low on power compared to other SUV's, is adequate, the fuel economy ranges between 14 and 17 (city/highway). There haven't been any squeaks and rattles to speak of.

We've had it off-road numerous times and the vehicle is amazing. Recently during a blizzard while skiing at Big Bear, we were comfortably passing all the other 4X4's, (Big Chevy's pick-ups, other SUV's,). You could tell they were frustrated in that they could not catch up. The Discovery was absolutely stable and confident at speeds the others wouldn't dare - and we didn't have chains! During another outing in the Cuymaca's, a driver in a Toyota pick-up approached us and ask if were having any difficulties - naturally, we weren't, but he was getting stuck everywhere in the deep snow and mud!

Anyway, in summary, the vehicle is delightful to own and drive, has been as reliable as anything else I've owned, and to date, though limited, the dealer experience has been solid.
  • zero3zero3 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking about buying one very soon and am doing research. Many of you are very unhappy with this truck and some love it. I live in New England and an all road truck is needed for 2/3 of the year. My car is just not cutting it and it is almost 10 years old. Anyway my goal is to get an SUV to deal with harsh weather and last about 10 years in good shape. So if anyone could post or email your thoughts and advice I would be thankful. If you hate this truck please tell me why and what if you could buy again pick. The max I am able to spend is $40,000. Thank You all for your time and help. My email is imagicaworld@mediaone.net

Paul
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    It's been said many times before, but owning a Rover is a love/hate thing. If you get a good one then you're in for years of exceptional service. If you get a bad one then you're in for incredible headaches. If your service department will work (HARD) with you, then you will solve the problems, resulting in the truck you want.

My experience followed the 2nd route, though with not quite as much trouble as others have had. My service folks went the distance (Land Rover Anchorage... GREAT guys) and I'm happy as a clam at high tide. I wouldn't own any other truck. But when I'd owned it for 3 or 4 months I was ready to GIVE the !#@$%#!^ truck back to them and be done with it.

These are hand-built trucks. There is nothing "magic" about them, they are simply trucks but there are complex systems and parts are expensive. They are supremely capable offroad and in poor conditions... which is why I own one. I won't trust my family with anything less.

I work on my own vehicles, and these are easy to work on. There are many excellent discussion groups on the web and they'll bend over backward to answer your questions. But you've got to be proactive, and do the maintenance. You'll get your hands very dirty, very often... but before 6 months are out, you'll be driving a truck you've named... not just "bought". People name the things that matter to them, not their appliances.

That's what this boils down to... your high expectations, the way the truck more than meets these expectations, and the violation of trust you will feel when she lets you down. If you do your work, then she probably won't ever strand you or break in the bush. If you don't, then you're gambling.

Take your time, pick out a good year-old truck with service history. Let someone else take the first-owner bath and produce service visits for you. Investigate everything, then make your decision. If you're lucky you might find one that someone HAD to part with unwillingly, with few service visits. She's your baby.

Regards, -Bob

'96 Disco "Anuqa"
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I see a lot of '95-'97 Discos for sale in the $16k-$20k range.

What years are best? What years or models to avoid?
  • I have a question: is the wiring to your air bags yellow? and are the sensors in the front of the engine compartment, behind the head lamps??? I was visiting my mechanic yesterday and he was adding accessories to another '96 almost identical to mine except the kid put over 2grand worth of gadgets on it!... well, I won't even go one about that.... anyway his disco was built 1/96 and mine 6/96 yet I have no exposed yellow wiring for the air bags, nor the front sensors!! Any input?? In six months did LR change the location for the sensors? did they put the wiring in the cabin area instead? Any and all input appreciated.. THANKS!! LK
    On 96-on Discoverys after Vin TA534103/TA198222 (2 production lines) they went to a single point sensing system on the airbags. This did away with the remote front sensors, they put the sensor in the SRS ECU in the console. The wiring in the SRS harness should still be yellow, but it does not run into the engine compartment.
  • Just wanted to introduce myself.
    Live in Melbourne Australia, own a 1995 Disco Dual Fuel(Petrol & LPG),BFG M/T 245/75r16's. looking at trading in on a DII at end of year. Love getting out anywhere in the aussie bush and exploring. Lots of scratches = lots of fun.
    I have an initial question. Recently lost one of the end rubber caps off the right front axle, along with some diff oil while out bush. Replaced the cap, about a week later the left one goes but no oil lost...hmmmmm

Anyway good to be here.... Lester
  • rj17rj17 Posts: 7
    Greeting all! I soon will be in the market for a 01/02 Disco LE7. I have thought it out long & hard and I'm going with my heart. Those other pretender suv's, you can have them. Keeping up with the Jones' is for the birds(Ford,Chevy ect.). It's time to lead. I'm looking to purchase around June. However,I hear that the 02's will have a design change. Does anyone have any information on what this new design is going to look like. I have gone to the LR's web site and located a picture of the 02 Range Rover, but there is nothing about the 02 Disco. I would appreciate any info concerning the new body style.

For those interested in seeing the 02 Rover's,just go to LR's web page and click on the South Africa site. There you will find the info.

Thanks in advance.:)
    The 02 model will not be different, update scheduled for 03.
  • awseymourawseymour Posts: 18
    Hi gang,

I have a 2000 Discovery, built in March 2000, shipped to Baltimore in April, I picked it up in Maine in October with 5 miles on the odo. Only problems was a defective transmission control module which the computer didnt like and all but killed the engine. Dealer fixed promptly after having it towed to Maine (from southern NH). Otherwise battery had bad cell, again able to drive and replaced OK. Small leak in sun roof but with the bad roads around here its a glass alignment thing and they fixed it. (Still I carry a towell until spring.) Had the "brake" warning light come on, but turned out the sensor in the fluid tank was crooked. They replaced it anyway.
    I love it overall, just hope being an early on car, and sitting in ocean climates for 7 months and not being driven it doesnt have any lurking problems. Only other complaint is trying to keep it clean here in New England. Muddy Oval is right.
    Pip pip
  • This is a question for "sineef" [#6 of 350 1997 DISCO by sineef Jun 27, 2000 (12:40 am)] who said:

"1996 Land Rover Discovery": I use a shop locally in San Jose that services Land Rover, Jaguar and Mercedes. They have two ex-Land rover mechanics that are excellent and their prices are affordable. Additionally their service is much better than the crappy dealer service we have experienced in the past.

Can you please let me know who/where this San Jose mechanic is? Any names would be very helpful!

Thanks!
  • rj17rj17 Posts: 7
    Greetings all. The other day I stated to those of you who are interested in seeing the 02 Range Rover to go to the LR web site. I apologize for the miss leading info. This is the correct site www.rangerovers.net/rrnews.htm After that click on the "Latest Spy Photo"
  • kemmonskemmons Posts: 29
    I appreciate your help with the production date- I haven't been online for a while to say thanks previously. If you got it from LR NA, I'm not sure how, they told me they don't have that info there. Before I purchased Lizzie, I checked her history with my local LR dealer ( they are already turning out to be fantastic) and found that her service had been maintained and that leaks had been fixed. She's at the dealer now due to the ever famous "lean" they experience, but I knew she had that and it is covered under the warranty I bought with her. They gave her the once over and she's good to go other than that.

If she was built on a Friday, then they managed to install the engine before leaving for the pub. I'm eternally grateful. She's a great truck and brings me joy.

You seem to know a lot about Rovers. My goal is to work on her myself and to learn as much as possible about her.

Again, I really appreciate your help on the VIN.
  • smokangsmokang Posts: 1
    I looked at this message board a year ago and got mixed messages. We went with our hearts and got a LR DiscII with 7 seat/cold weather package. Only have had 1 minor problem since with windshield wipers. Otherwise, by far the best SUV we have ever driven. We have a 2000 4 runner and the Disc II blows it away in terms of ride, feel, etc. Only downside is poor gas mileage, but worth every penny. Remarkable that the Disc II is priced at same levels with other SUVs that are nowhere near the same level of value. It is a steal. Buy one if you are thinking of a SUV in the 30K range!
    I had no problem getting it from LRNA, I looked it up myself. (I work there ;) ) Glad to have been of assistance.
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    All:

Just checking in - I've been silent for a couple of weeks!

DI seems to be running well - one slight issue. After I'm out around town for awhile and stop, when I get back in, it idles super-low and occasionally dies. Always idles proper when I first start it, but after it's warmed up a bit, it gets funny idle syndrome.

Couple of other things...

Sporin - 96 and 97 aren't bad at all - take the VINs by the dealership and they'll print the history for you.

Lester - welcome aboard - great to have some International folks here as well! I would love to hear some stories of cruising around on the outback.

Thanks and Happy Rovering to all!

wasko
  • waskowasko Posts: 103
    Nanuq - went out to Bainbridge Island (made a day of it with my wife and son) and took the '73 SIII for a spin. It was hopeless - I fell for the vehicle right away. The wife and son really liked it too. Talk about getting back to the basics - the vehicle is absolutely perfect for tooling around town and taking short trips on the weekends. My rover madness grows greater by the day ...

My 11 year old is getting as bad as me - we're in Borders and he goes straight to the magazine rack to buy the current issue of Land Rover World (we subscribe to LRM). He even shells out his hard-earned allowance each month for the £4.99 cost (about $7US).

My wife is even contemplating putting a deposit down at the dealer to reserve a Freelander in December/Jan for herself. After seeing it at the Detroit Auto Show, she's convinced that it will be her next vehicle. We're hopeless :)

Anyways, the nice gentleman who we're buying the Series III from let us take it around the island for as long as we liked, so we were out and about for 2 hours. Stopped at Ruby's but they were closed! It was Sun. around noon and plates were set, so maybe they open later? When I go back for the final purchase, we'll try again. I put a deposit on the Rover and am hopeful that the house in MI sells w/in 60 days so the SIII will be mine.

Saw the hill that you bike up - that thing is a beast. I'm getting ready to start biking in to work 1-2x a week (10 miles each way) and I was complaining to my wife about the 1 mile hill coming up to our house but after seeing that hill on Bainbridge, I'll be silent :) Only biking 1 or 2 days because I've got hockey Wed & Fridays, and need to do something with my new SIII :)

If you want to see the vehicle, check out:

http://communities.msn.com/WaskoandHuntPicPlace and click on Series III LandRover on the left.

Take a look at the odometer - 56k original miles (never rolled). Vehicle is in excellent shape and I'm very excited to add it to the collection. Man, if my wife does get a Freelander, that will be 3 Rovers. Maybe I'll get a Rover Mountain Bike too :) For those that don't believe there is such a thing, checkout http://www.pashley.co.uk/landrover/landrover.htm.

Thanks - wasko
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    What a gorgeous SIII, and those pictures look so familiar! With the raised bumps in the road, and the south-bound direction, I can think of a couple places on the Island where it's sitting. Was that out in Port Madison, or down around Rolling Bay? What memories those pics bring back!

Hey if you get back and Ruby's is closed again, go down to the marina in town, and find the Thai restaurant right on the water. "Teddy" is the owner, he makes wonderful chicken galanga soup and pad thai. Have him mix up some of his special hot sauce... the red thick stuff with all the seeds in it.

Congratulations on the SIII !! -Bob
  • I am in the market for a II with all the options, and I have recognized the authority of options on this board. Of course I have a few questions that I would like to offer for general discussion points for a perspective slightly different that the dealer's sales approach and my own.

Could someone provide thoughts or comments on ACE option?

Another caveat in my buying decision is the fact that I commute almost 100 miles daily and I am concerned about that many miles with permanent 4WD. How do these vehicles typically wear with many miles?

I have done limited research into the residuals that the II might offer and it seemingly compares to most other Subs. Does this seem accurate by most of your accounts?

What are your overall thoughts on the lack of overall horsepower as compared to respectively to the other SUVs in similar price ranges?

Any additional information would be helpful because I am in love with the looks and overall thoughts of purchasing this vehicle.
  • gerrenwgerrenw Posts: 3
    First, I will tell you I am not quite the most mechanically minded person in the world. However, I do love to drive and have had many SUV's and cars. I just sold my LandCruiser and purchased a Disco 2 SE about one month ago. I absolutely love it. I have already put almost 3k miles...problem free. A few trips to Vegas and Phoenix...a truly wonderful SUV on the highway. The ACE package adds a great deal of stability to the overall ride quality. I recommend you get it. As far as 4 wheel drive...my LandCruiser was also full time 4 wheel drive...and I had well over 110k miles on that. So I do not think that the issue of permanent 4 wheel drive is really that noticable. As far as horsepower...not a huge issue to me. I am not such a lead foot...but my wife is and she has a blast driving the LR. She says that the "get up and go" is way better than it was on the 212 hp LandCruiser. Bottom line...I have always loved the look of the LR, but I had never driven one...and now that I have I must say that the entire ride quality and view and feeling of comfort is fantastic. Better than every other SUV I have been in anywhere close to the LR price range.