Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Audio and Entertainment System Questions

13»

Comments

• szelcszelc Member Posts: 2
    It's great to get a positive response to my post on correcting the Mazda 3 stereo volume problems. I sure hope your Mazda dealership was as quick and easy to work with as Maple Shade Mazda NJ. I'm giving them another thumps-up for treating me like an intelligent woman, listening to my concerns and really checking into the problem. I encourage all my fellow Mazda 3 owners to speak up and get the replacement radio you deserve. Thanks and good luck.
  • alkeshalkesh Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of buying Mazda3 4-door s-grand touring in about a month. I was thinking about getting the Bose premium sound option. But is it really worth it? I know that Bose is the best but I personally don't have any experience with neither Bose nor mazda. Would it just be better to have it installed at an audio shop? Any other suggestion are welcome.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I know that Bose is the best

Only about one in 2,000,000,000,000 audiophiles would agree with that statement. Seriously. That said, I have the Bose system in my MS3 GT, but only because: 1. I didn't have any choice in the matter; to get Xenons and the OBC I had to take the Bose, and 2. I don't intend to keep the sled any longer than 1-2 years at the most. I'd say bring an iPod and/or some favorite CDs to your dealer and audition both systems. Only you can decide if the Bose "upgrade" is worth the extra money.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• danielwollmanndanielwollmann Member Posts: 8
    If you don't need the other items in the package I reccomend you to buy an aftermarket sound and be happy. The Bose quality in the Mazda system is crappy.
  • stash3stash3 Member Posts: 3
    i just bought a 2009 mazda3 touring VE... problem is the pause/play button doesnt work with CD's... is this normal? i contacted the dealer and they assured me that it is not suppost to work with CDs and only for the Sat. radio (that i dont have) is that correct? does anyone else have this problem? or an answer? its still under warrently and I feel like the dealer is just trying to push me out the door. any input would be great!
    ash!
    ;)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I just went out and checked mine, nope, the play/pause button has no effect when a CD is playing. If you want to "pause" the CD, simply hit the mode button to another source and the player will automagically pause.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • stash3stash3 Member Posts: 3
    thanks shipo! I was worried my dealer was just trying to get out of fixing it.
    anything else i should know about my car? anything interesting?
    ash!
    ;)
  • costecoste Member Posts: 1
    So this is the problem...I have an 08 Mazda 3. I have changed out the stock 4x7's to infinity reference 2 ohm speakers, have added a line out converter (so RCA cables can be ran to the sub without changing out the factory HU) and have added a 10in bazooka bass tube to the back.

When listening to the stereo everything seems normal until the volume is turned past 34 or so. When it's turned up everything distorts! One click of the volume and it disappears. The HU does have an automatic volume adjustment that increases the volume when higher speeds are reached but the distortion happens with or without this feature being turned on.

I have tried to search this problem and came across the same issue on crutchfield's website. The ground was checked, and the LOC was changed to make sure that was not the issue. I am lost.

I thought maybe it was the HU itself and it should be changed out by the dealership but I know what they are going to say "it has something to do with the aftermarket products added".......bull. My girlfriend seems quite sure this was a problem prior to the factory speakers being touched but I can't recall. Any help.....PLEASE.
  • dilbertsdubdilbertsdub Member Posts: 16
    Dealer quoted me $750 for the Satellite installed. approx $380 for the parts and the rest is labor since they have to have pull out part of the dash. I said no thanks and went to best buy,..had it installed in the bin of the armrest so it cld be plugged into the aux in. $265.12 installed and btw,..you can still use the aux in for either your Satellite radio or your mp3 player.
  • ograpezoomograpezoom Member Posts: 1
    my husband installed the sirius in my 2008.5 mazda 3 and then my aux port didn't work because he said the instructions said to tape it off (isn;t used) Once I found that out, I investigated on line and realized they sold me the sirius recvr for the 2008 model. I went back and exchanged it and told them the reason, they just gave me the new recvr and didn't say anything about needing anything else for the aux port to work. My husband installed the new radio, and it doesn't play. the aux port doesn't work either. I called the dealer and talked to parts and service and they couldn't help except they finally got a tech involved and he said I needed a Switch Box ($169.) Why the ##% they didn't say that in the first place is beyond me. Then I asked about adding the Ipod Integration and they said I still need the switch box with that, too=== that might explain why they charge $750. I guess I should check out Best Buy.
  • sparky52t6sparky52t6 Member Posts: 4
    OK, I just purchased a M3i touring and am very happy with my decision EXCEPT in my eagerness to buy the car didn't realize it only had a aux/headphone port to play my ipod touch. Arghhhhhh! I'm having a hard time finding any after market devices that will reliably allow my ipod to take advantage of some of the car stereo's controls. My last car was an 05 Toyota Corolla and for approx $140 I was able to mate my music and my car very successfully. Does anyone know of a solution out there?
    Mazda has a factory kit you can buy, go to http://accessories.mazdausa.com
    Seriously, I do appreciate the tip but aren't there any reliable 3-rd party vendors with something available for less? (I know that there's an FM signal solution but I'm looking for something "purer".
    As far as I know, the best and only iPod solution for the Mazda3 (and other Mazdas as well) is the one from Mazda. Sorry.
    Do you happen to know if I buy the harness and adapter, do they come with installation instructions? Or is this something Mazda wants their mechanics to install?

Plus, does the Mazda solution show song information on the display?

I do appreciate your help here.
    I've heard from a number of folks that there are installation instructions and that the installation is relatively simple. I've also heard that the song information is in fact on the display.

Naturally I need to add the following disclaimer:
    -- "I've yet to do this myself so everything I've written is hearsay." :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    edited July 2010
    The factory kit is obviously the best solution, but I'm very happy with the setup that I use. It's a Griffin AutoPilot charger adapter. The advantage of this unit over just plugging your iPod into the AUX jack is that it outputs the line level from your iPod. I had a buzz when the motor was running so I installed a Rat Shack Ground Loop Isolator. as well. No in-car displays and such but it sounds great. My total outlay was @$60, which includes a couple of Y-adapters needed to splice in the isolator.Speaking of adapters, I was pleasantly surprised by the Monster iCar Cassette adaptor that I use in a couple of my older cars. Only $17 from Amazon- amazing considering how most all Monster product are incredibly overpriced- and it sounds much, MUCH better than an FM adapter.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mikeb0420mikeb0420 Member Posts: 1
    Please help. I have a 2007 Mazda 3. Today, for no reason whatsoever my stereo would not work. The clock and temperature still display but the stereo will not turn on. It worked fine last night and now, nothing! Any ideas why this might have happened or how I can fix it?
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has or has used the Mazda ipod adapter. Can you completely control the ipod remotely using the stereo controls on the dash, like select playlists, podcasts, etc? I'm assuming it charges ipods? I find the aux-in connector cheesy. One of the speakers always seems to have a flaky connection when I use it, and I'd prefer to keep the ipod and all cables hidden in the glove box or similar.

If you have one, what do you think of it?

Wish Mazda would just throw in a USB port like Hyundai.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Found a manual for the Mazda ipod adapter online, and found it won't display text for song titles, playlists, etc. Just a 'track' number. So if you have tons of songs, podcasts, etc, that isn't very helpful.

I miss the days when you could rip out the stock stereo for an aftermarket model that had the features you want.
  • ed_granted_grant Member Posts: 10
    If the car has bluetooth that works. I use an iphone to play all music. Automatically recognises the iphone. I store the iphone in the console and use the plug to charge.
  • rickaltmanrickaltman Member Posts: 8
    On the other hand, the 2011 brochure for the car clearly shows the Technology Package display specifying artist, album, and song. My iPod unit hasn't come in yet, so I can't speak from experience, but I do intend to hold Mazda to the letter of its advertising promise.
    What's the quality of the sound with bluetooth? Is it like FM? Or is it like having it directly wired to the amp?
  • ed_granted_grant Member Posts: 10
    The sound is good to me. I mainly listen to XM but the iphone sounds good thru the Bose system.
  • sk8man0151sk8man0151 Member Posts: 1
    The exact same thing just happened to me on my 08. how did you manage to fix it?
  • mazdaboy2mazdaboy2 Member Posts: 12
    The CD player in my 2006 Mazda-3 (i Touring sedan) suddenly froze up this week. There is a CD stuck in there and it won't come out - the eject button is unresponsive. The radio and other functions still work OK.

Anybody have any advice on Fix vs. Replace ? I'm guessing Replace the whole audio/entertainment unit will be the answer. I assume I can find a replacement in the junkyard market for 150 or $200, then I need an installer.

One more question: I think I'd prefer the 2007 model if it's compatible, because I believe it has the iPod input hole ? Can anyone confirm 2007 has the iPod input, and confirm 2006/2007 compatibility? Thanks.
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    my '10 MZ3s GT navigation system makes a stupid error that most people will never discover, but which is highly irritating once you discover it. This is -- gross over-estimation of the time required for trips using 2-lane roads with 70mph speed limits, prevalent in such states as Nevada and Montana. For example, pretend my car is currently in Kalispell MT, and enter a destination of Glasgow MT. This is a trip of about 400 miles which, no contest, is best driven all the way on US2 which is a regular 2-lane highway, with 70mph limit all the way, and very little traffic congestion. Yet, the ETA the car tells you will be more than 10 hours later, implying an absurdly low average speed of <40mph. My car was built in the 2nd quarter of 2009, so there is a map update SD card available from Mazda for $200. But does this update fix the problem? I tried asking Mazda customer assistance, and they seem to think I have to have a dealer examine my GPS system. There seems to me to be about a 100.000% chance that the problem is in the map database, which there's about a 0.000% chance that a dealer will know anything about. Any bright ideas out there, or knowledge/experience better than mine?