Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Accessories and Modifications

ew1ew1 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Mazda
Hi, I am in the process of reading everything I can, getting multiple quotes, etc in order to purchase a Mazda3 in about a month.

I am wondering about getting an aftermarket moonroof vs trying to find a vehicle with a factory installed configuration.What would a ballpark price be? The online quotes seem to suggest about 890 for factory installed.

Also, what is the difference between the i and s series? I am planning to buy and hold my car (I currently drive a 97 protege)for several years, I am looking for the best vehicle for Northeast US weather/road conditions. I am planning on buying a 4 dr sedan with automatic transmission , do not want the wagon or sportier models. Don't need bells and whistles, just air and an am/fm with a cd.

Thanks.

Comments

• ecm56ecm56 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone tried replacing the turn, brake, or running light bulbs on the Mazda 3 with LED assemblies? I just wondered if anyone has any experience with whether the factory relays work and whether there are issues with the "lamp burned out" indicators in the dash.

Thanks,

Eric
    2005 Mazda 3i
  • outingsincoutingsinc Member Posts: 9
    I'm hoping to install a cold air intake on my 3s hatchback and have heard about them setting error codes. Does anyone have a system installed? Does it create problems and which system did you install? I'm considering the KN short ram. Help would be very appreciated

Thanks

Outings Inc
    05 Mazda 3s
  • daryldaryl Member Posts: 41
    I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI about 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it. It's a little loader under heavy acceleration, but under normal driving you wouldn't it's there. In fact my family doesn't even know I made the change. Mileage is up about 1-1.5 mpg, and low end torque is noticably better, no matter what others on these forums say. It's quicker. I would highly recommend it. When the stock unit is taken off and the K&N is on, you really see how the stock system hardly lets in any air.
    No, it does not set off any CEL lights.
    Hope this helps.
    Daryl
  • msp1986msp1986 Member Posts: 7
    I have a Base 2006 Mazda 3i and couldn't afford to go with the touring package. Anyway, I would like to somehow add power locks (not windows) and a keyless entry. Anybody know if this is possbile, how much and where is the best place to do it? Thanks for any info!

Micah
  • rayneeraynee Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if you had any luck adding power locks to your car? I have a Mazda 3 and I am getting ready to have locks installed. I was quoted at $70 per door. I went to a local place that does audio and electronic stuff. I know that Best Buy also intalls power locks, though.
  • uglybeanuglybean Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if I can put an O.E 17 inch wheels from a 2005 Mazda3 onto my 2006 Mazda3i sedan? I currently have the stock 15" wheels. Is there anything special I would need to install the tires? I'm thinking about buying a set from someone. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Biggest thing you want to check is the spacing of the lug nut holes and the backspacing will work for your car. Only real way to tell is to bolt them up carefully.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Has anyone installed an aftermarket security system for the Mazda3? Which brand, and any problems?
    Generally the only time you set off any error codes is if you apply the oil too heavily after cleaning it and it can mess up some sensors. Why you have to very carefully read the instructions (i know how hard that can be for us guys here) and follow them to a T. Otherwise that is when problems start.
    Why do after market companies hate the M3 so much? I cant find anyone who does customer fit all weather floor mats, so far no one shows an intake for an 07 (i think its the same as the rest but i dont know). These are the two major thing im looking for right now (the extra rims and tires have to wait). Anyone able to help me out?
  • godaddy1godaddy1 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know of a proven & reliable engine chip to increase HP & driveability for the 2.0L? :D
  • jicbulkjicbulk Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

Proud owner of a 2007 S Touring. I did a quick search for CAI kits and came up with some ebay $40 jobs on one end and the official Mazdaspeed kit for $300. Have also seen other kits for $200 or so. Why such a big difference? I'm guessing that not all are acceptable within the warranty period, but other than that....Any comments? Help me decide!

-Jicbulk
    I have a 2007 SGT 5-speed. Put a K&N Typhoon intake on my car. Paid about $208, most places will not gauntee the fit of the 07 M3 since they have no tested them, i took a gamble and it works. Its alot of work to install it. Have to take the old intake out obviously which is a pain. I think its well worth the trouble though, i love the intake.
  • badboy4lifebdbbadboy4lifebdb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Mazda 3. I have installed a K&N kit! I installed it about a year ago, and I loved it. The sound was great, and I did notice a little performance difference. I live in Indiana, so the winters can get a little cold. Now that it is cold, my car has ran like crap. It surges really bad, and sometimes dies at red lights. I ran that code myself and it pulled a mass air flow code, so I replaced the sensor and it still ran like crap, so I had to take it to mazda, and they wouldn't work on it cause of the modification, and performance shops in the area wouldn't work on it either cause the car is so new. Mazda told me to put a stock intake back on, so I'm in the process of doing that. Never heard on any intake making a car do that, but with newer cars having all these stupid sensors, I guess it could happen. With it being colder outside, and since cold air is less dense, with the aftermarket intake sucking in so much air, I guess it could be too much for the fuel, so it surges. Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't live in the south, I would highly not recommend doing it, but if you do, don't be stupid like me and throw your stock intake away. KEEP IT cause you might need it!!!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    2004 Mazda 3. I have installed a K&N kit
    Did you make any other modifications?
    How is the K&N air filter supposed to be maintained?
    I have a 2007 M3 with the K&N intake and have had no problems at all. Installed it myself about a month after i bought the car. No modifications at all to make, some of the bolts are hard to get to so if your not pretty handy at things id have a shop install it. I usually wash my filters about once every 6 monthes. Only catch with the M3 is you have to take off the drivers side front tire and the splash sheild to the the filter off. Also never throw the original parts off or sell them on ebay till AFTER the factory warranty is up. Easier to put the stock one back in then pay mazda to work around the K&N.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "With it being colder outside, and since cold air is less dense...."

Actually, colder air is MORE dense. I doubt that getting too MUCH air flow is the problem.

Is it possible that you've got some blockage in the system restricting airflow?
  • coolasashcoolasash Member Posts: 4
    "How is the K&N air filter supposed to be maintained?"

you have to clean the k&n cold air intake filter occasionaly to keep the filter working as it should. there's a cleaner and degreaser available at k&n's website that will dissolve the dirt buildup. there's also an aerosol kit that restores the efficiency of the filters. check it out here
    Interesting. It looks like multiple products may be needed to maintain the K&N filter. I'll stick with the traditional air filters in order to avoid hassles with the dealership regarding "modifications".
  • badboy4lifebdbbadboy4lifebdb Member Posts: 2
    I don't think that it's the intake, but all of the shops say that it is. Never heard of an intake doing what it does to my car... I shouldn't have any blockage, the mass air flow code that it ran was too much air flow going through the system, and then the other day it ran a new code, which was a dealer code, and it was fuel too rich at idle. My buddy has a ranger and his truck did the exact same thing and pulled the exact same codes, and it was a sensor off of the egr valve. Ford fixed his truck, but no one wants to work on mine better yet try to fix it...and since it's so new, there isn't a haynes manual out for it yet, so I can't really test it with an ohms meter if I don't have the correct numbers to go by. Any suggestions!!!
  • mugwompmugwomp Member Posts: 21
    I can't find anywhere to replace all 3 sunbleached looking brakelights. The look kills me every time I look at it - so ricey. ANYBODY know WHERE I can get some normal traditional red brakelights for a 2007 MS3? Please help...
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Yes, try this web site out http://www.thexenonstore.com/
    This is where I get all my stuff and also the other forum people get al there stuff from here. Devin is his name.

Hope this helps.
    Another option is to take the bottoms tube off and use it as a short ram intake. Not true cold air as they say since its not totally under the engine, but would get it up higher.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    I wonder if these kits will work/fit with the GS models where there is no yellow lens and if the connectors are all the same as with the GT and Sport models?
  • markflirtmarkflirt Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    I am considering an after market perfomance product called "Next Level Performance - G-Box (Gold Series). I love the performance of my Mazda 3 GT, but I am being seduced by the possibility of adding more power to the car. Has anyone used this product on their Mazda 3 or 3 GT? If so what have been your results. Any drawbacks to this product?

In addition, I have also looked at a KN cold air intake system. Anyone had experience with this or a similar product on their Mazda 3. Does it help out fuel economy?
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    an intake usually does help your fuel economy...but it depending on the intake, can usually make your car sound very loud, without making it noticably faster; an intake is mostly a part of a greater upgrade, usually exhaust or other engine mods; it by itself wont really yield any noticable performance.

this product that you mentioned...what does it do/enhance exactly? The 3 has a very small aftermarket, and its usually limited to dealer installed bolt ons, or visual upgrades. Unfortunately this is true for the speed 3 as well, since its pushing so much boost, you'd do better buying a bigger turbo for it; and thus just getting a regular 3 and buying a turbo.
  • ocsurfinocsurfin Member Posts: 1
    Other than the obvious Yakima or Thule options, has anyone had success with addition of a slick permanent aftermarket roof rack or sport rack for the Mazda3 five door? Something made and available in the US would be great.
  • sinjin1sinjin1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Mazda3 SGT with a 2.3L engine and I have been looking every where for anything to add power and performance to my car. My biggest problem rigt now is that I cant get past 115mph (governor), I am stationed in germany right now and speeding is a must on the autobahn ;) Does anyone know of or heard of a new computer chip? I am also looking for a turbo any suggestions? And just an FYI the car handles beautifully at 110 mph with no modifications. :D
  • sinjin1sinjin1 Member Posts: 2
    Not to discourage you from adding power and better fuel efficiency to your car, but I have never heard of something like this actually being worth that much money. It sounds like those scam (Mass air sensor) replacements that claim to improve your performance by so much, but all it turns out to be is just an ordinary transister, that does practically nothing but void the warranty. I would say the best route is to forget the G-box and go with the K&N Air intake. Much more reliable and easier to revert back to stock. Hope this helps.
    I am also looking for a turbo any suggestions?
    I think Mazda heard you and came up with the Mazdaspeed. After all, after you install the turbo, you'll likely need to adjust the suspension, exhaust and will go for bigger tires ... all of which adds up to the Mazdaspeed3.
  • cinderycindery Member Posts: 14
    Mazda offers a Roof Rack in all other markets but the US. You can see the rack on the Mazda Canada website:
    http://www.mazda.ca/files/2007_mazda3_accBro_en.pdf
    or in Australia:
    http://www.mazda.com.au/accessories_pl.asp?id=74&x=14&y=8

I contacted Mazda USA with this info, they said they had no plans to import this item. You can get it in Canada if you want it.
  • edsmazda3edsmazda3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a mazda3 and one of the first thing I want to do is get a new exhaust. I'm debating whether to get the borla or the magnaflow...any suggestions as to which to get? Thanks.
  • shaw_jodyshaw_jody Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Mazda3 hatchback did not come with factory side air bags, and I am wondering about adding them. Does anyone know if I can simply purchase new seats with the side air bags? Or are there additional electrical connections for the side airbags? I thought the seat bolster airbags were pressure activated, but I can't find any information about them, and my local dealer is baffled! Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Messing with air bags AT ALL is something you dont want to do unless you are a trained pro. Would probably be simpler and easier to just buy a M3 that has them already installed.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    And it's not just the side airbags in the seats, but the side curtains that provide the critical head protection. Quite an extensive retrofit to add them. As was said, may be cheaper to trade for a car that already has them.
  • cyberchulocyberchulo Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking around on the internet but is the only spoiler available for the 2006 mazda3 from the mazda dealer? Can anyone recommend any sites that sell a variety of spoilers for the mazda3?
  • wingzwingz Member Posts: 1
    I don't really like the new wheels for the 2007 model year. I would prefer to get the 17 inch alloys from the 2006 or previous years for my 2007 Mazda3 S Touring. Are there any websites where I can purchase them instead of going through the dealer and paying a higher price? Much appreciated.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    ebay.
  • zante64zante64 Member Posts: 24
    I drive a '07 3 Sport hatch w/manual tranny. Absolutely love the car! Only wish it had DRL's. (I'm in California.) I've seen posts for various other makes which allows you to make lighting modifications pretty easily. What I'm hoping to do, is to make the foglights on my "3" act as DRL's.
    Anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks
  • netholenethole Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for navigation and good sound (and I'd like satellite and IPOD, and aux-in if possible).

The GT with Nav costs about 3400-3800 more than a Sport. I think I've priced out an AVIC D3 (GPS HU), good speakers [aka better than Bose], amps, and installation for less than 3000.

Has anyone else tried this approach? If so, were you able to have it integrated with the steering controlls, and did you lose anything? (LCD clock?)

And more importantly, was it worth the time and effort?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Has anyone else tried this approach? If so, were you able to have it integrated with the steering controls, and did you lose anything? (LCD clock?)

This is what SEMA is all about. I've seen all kinds of customized cars. You'd probably need a different steering wheel with all the buttons on it and integrating it with everything would probably cost some real time and money.
    Why everything has to be integrated is beyond me. A Portable Nav system is almost as good and a world cheaper and audio systems have a lot of aftermarket options. I'm not into audio at all I use the stock CD player since I prefer to listen to my car. :blush:
    But aftermarket is possible, steering wheel is another matter, possibly doable but expensive.
    If it's what you really want then just do it. ;)
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    Personally, I think to integrate aftermaket successfully into this car would cost a lot in terms of installer labor. Also, the additional cost of the GT isn't just about electronics. The spiiffy leather and xenon headlights are part of the cost too. I'm interested in finding a terrestrial HD radio receiver that could be integrated and controlled by my vacant SAT radio button.
  • jacks33177jacks33177 Member Posts: 1
    They are only $20 more than the official set of 4 mazda all season mats. The front passenger mat looks like it might have a little bit extra rubber on the top right hand corner. Other than that it looks like they might fit pretty good. I have an 07 mazda3.

Anyone tried these yet (or found a cheaper alternative:)
  • vrodriguezvrodriguez Member Posts: 9
    I installed an INJEN cold air intake and have nothing but more power to talk about. You can definitely tell the difference and no codes!
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Okay, i can't believe i did this but on top of the little damage that i got on one of my wheels/rim, (most likely) from the dealership service dept, on the same one, i put a nice huge scratch on it tonight from being too close to a curb. (Aarrgghh!!!) Does anyone know if you could purchase just 1 from Mazda or would you have to buy a whole set? And about how much? I know it's going to bother me if i just leave it...
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Does anyone know if you could purchase just 1 from Mazda or would you have to buy a whole set? And about how much? I know it's going to bother me if i just leave it...

Mazda sells individual wheels- as does every auto maker I am familiar with. I'd check out Online Mazda Parts, AKA Montgomery Mazda in NC. They sell OEM parts at decent prices. And of course there is always eBay. Regardless, I'd expect to pay $300-$450 per wheel from a dealer. www.mazdas247.com has a classified section; you may find some take-offs there.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Dealership will probably ask approx $200 for a wheel. You can also check ebay, can sometimes find good deals on used Mazda3 rims. Also check out the classified section (Buy/Sell) at mazda3forums.com
    Thank you roadburner & tomkozki!
    I just gave my dealership a call to check the price & it's $407.35. I'm going to check online as suggested.

Do you think they would care if i purchased somewhere else & had them install it? (of course i would have to pay a work fee). The only other thing too would be having to lug it there.

**wait, just found a coupon fr. Mazda for accessories; a wheel/ rim is an accessory right? Or would it count as a part?
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    You can go to rim place and have them fix your rim for less than the price of a new rim. Just ask an autobody shop or a tire store for the names of them in your area.
This discussion has been closed.