Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy and Oil Dependency

jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
How much power are you willing to give up for that last bit of fuel economy?

I get the impression that while there's a lot of attention on mileage in absolute terms and ensuing discussion on the cost of the more fuel effecient cars, there seems to be very little discussion if any, about fuel mileage in relation to power.

Topics
- production cars
- aftermarket cars and parts
- power band
(remember, unit-wise: hp@rpm = torque x rpm)
- highway vs city
- cruising vs WOT
- gearing

Comments

• buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    http://tinyurl.com/ct5u7

Getting closer to real world usage..
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    'Bout dang time they change the test !! People have been crowing about this for about a decade now at least !!! :shades:
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The EPA should conduct real test of fuel consumption instead of making it a part of the emmissions tests. A useful result would be to have a steady state fuel consumption at say 45 MPH, 60 MPH and 75 MPH so that one could see how well a vehicle would do on real world highways. Stop and go driving is a real mess. A cold engine will burn more fuel than a warm engine, so a 2 mile drive to work will result in a much worse comsumption rate than a 10 mile drive to work.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that the ratings will drop around 20%. They are going to start using the A/C during the test, and will also drive them real highway speeds (probably 65, I would guess).

It will be a good thing. Right now they are kind of pie in the sky for many folks (although I personally always achieve mileage somewhere in between the two ratings).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    From Autoextremist today: mileage estimated to drop 5-20% on most cars.

Hybrids will fall much more: 20-30%. This will be a hit for the hybrid market but may be more realistic.

http://www.autoextremist.com/page6.shtml

Page down a litte to the paragraph about mileage.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "and will also drive them real highway speeds (probably 65, I would guess)."

hah!

As for hybrids, the new numbers may reduce showroom traffic, but they'll also reduce complaints by owners. Dealers have complained that they're legally not allowed to give realistic mileage numbers because you have to display the EPA figures.

There could also be an effect on tall-geared engines like the Corvette (is "tall" correct?), which will suffer a greater change (proportionately) in revs at the more realistic highway speeds.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    i disagree about the corvette. real world highway mileage is very good. the engine will work better at 65 mph than the 55 or whatever the epa test uses. the corvette trick (1 to 4 shift) is to help the city mileage rating. to be honest, i don't know if it still uses that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I think the EPA uses a 60mph maximum, with an average speed in the 40s (!). That means a lot of economy cars are forced to shift into a lower gear for some of the test, which puts them at a disadvantage compared to big engined cars (if I'm right about the current test). That was my line of reasoning, but real world info matters more. But if Corvette owners are getting their rated mileage, they really need to find some funner roads...
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Some cars, like the Corvette, have been tailored to the test to get a great result (no gas guzzler tax at 400hp or even 505hp), and that has resulted in some drivers getting very good real world results. However, the variation in milage for Corvette drivers is very wide since some don't like to get into 6th except for very high speeds while I'll use it on any flat road over about 40mph. Others like to listen to the exhaust note and stay in 4th and don't even get to 5th much. Don't have any experience in the older 4 speed autos. The new 6sp auto should be good news for mileage. At about 45mph on a flat road my instant mileage readout is at about 35mpg in 6th gear. Of course there are places you have to stop and idle in the real world, hence I average in the low 20's, while the wife who drives much more conservatively on take off than I do, averages in the upper teens, go figure.
    Randy
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Does it follow suit, or sticks to its current standard?
    On long highway trips with my Seville I can average around 29 MPG by taking it easy. This is well over the highway rating. For local driving I average more than the city rating but less than the highway rating. Everyday driving is not something that the EPA tests can predict for anyone unless they happen to drive exactly like the test.
    Doesn't the EPA max out at like 52 mph on the highway test? I think the most significant thing is probably that they will use the A/C during the test now.

The place where cars like the Corvette will suffer is the city test, not the highway test. They are going to shorten the cycling from cold for that portion, I believe. So instead of 1 10-mile drive with 40-some stops (or whatever the exact test is - I know it is something like that), they will do something more like 1 5-mile drive with 20 stops and 2 2.5-mile drives with 10 stops. With the engine getting cold in between.

robertsmx: CAFE stays the same. BUA-HA-HA-HA! That is going to hit the domestics a lot harder than the rest, I think, but we will see. The hybrids obviously will drop a TON in rating - I wonder how that will affect sales. They will probably still do significantly better than gas-only counterparts.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "robertsmx: CAFE stays the same."

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Regardless of who gets hit the hardest, it hardly seems 'fair' that the government CAFE standards establish certain MPG milestones for the manufacturers to hit.....and then the government changes the way MPG is measured midstream.

I'm surprised Ford/GM/DC aren't all screaming bloody murder...
    Ford and GM already pay penalites on this every year because their fleet average falls below the standard. So maybe it is no big deal for them?

I think they should have the right to make their own test realistic. And it will certainly serve consumers better. With the gas prices spiking all over the place, it would be nice if you could make some reasonable calculation of what gas was going to cost you in a new vehicle before you committed to the purchase.

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    This change will reverberate through the auto and government arenas, because a LOT of legislation and rules are in effect based on MPG.

*ALL* of that legislation and all the rules will have to be modified for this change, because car companies will not be penalized all of a sudden after the 2008 model year tests for MPG that the new test "cheats" them out of.
    "I think they should have the right to make their own test realistic."

I'm in absolute agreement; I've felt that the EPA test has needed some tweeking for years now to more accurately reflect real-word results. And the more accurate the info made available to the consumer, the better.

All I'm saying (and which larsb also pointed out) is the fact that there are reams and reams of government legislation which is based on EPA mileage #'s and a sudden change in the way the EPA does their test will have many many ripple effects.

If it can be shown that the new EPA tests result in a fairly consistent 20% reduction in MPG ratings, I would be in favor of a similar 20% reduction in the CAFE requirements.

Look at it on the flip side: what if the EPA changed their test criteria and it resulted in the MPG ratings suddenly INCREASING on average by 20%? Would it be 'fair' for the manufacturer's to still operate under the old CAFE requirements even though their fleet magically received a 20% boost in economy? Or would it be fair for the CAFE requirements to be adjusted accordingly?
    aren't the CAFE standards already fairly pathetic? Lower them 20% and you might as well just cancel them entirely.

"Lower them 20% and you might as well just cancel them entirely."

You're missing the point. Whether or not the current CAFE standards are 'pathetic' or not isn't relevant. If you change the way something is measured, then any requirements BASED on that measurement should be adjusted accordingly.

Hypothetically, if the EPA had been UNDERESTIMATING fuel economy (so that real-world numbers were higher than the ratings), they might change their methods resulting in 20% HIGHER EPA numbers. This would result in the manufacturer fleet mileage numbers suddenly going up by 20%. Would you or would you not favor an adjustment to the CAFE requirements under that scenario?

You have to be consistent. If you would favor adjusting CAFE requirements UPWARDS to reflect a hypothetical increase in EPA numbers due to changed methodology, you must also understand the rational for adjusting the CAFE requirements down to reflect a decrease in the EPA numbers.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Actually, CAFE will still be based on the old EPA test, so nobody will be getting hit any harder than they were before.
    Makes sense in the short term.

I'd be interested to know (long-term) how this is supposed to work as new models are introduced. Will each model carry two sets of EPA ratings? (one figured the 'old way' for CAFE purposes and one figured the new way for the window stickers/consumer information).

This could work AGAINST the reasons behind CAFE. As a manufacturer, why would I make an attempt to increase my REAL-WORLD mileage by 10% if it would require the vehicle to be certified under the new EPA guidelines resulting in an EPA number 10% less than the old number under the old guidelines? Heck, I'd just leave the thing alone for as long as the EPA let me use the old numbers for CAFE.

Personally, I'm glad the EPA methodology is being revised. For too long, the EPA numbers have been unrealistic. The problem now though is that, while it would be 'fair' to adjust the CAFE requirements in line with the new tests, it would be political suicide for someone to actually propose this.

Too many folks educated in government schools to understand the rationale behind adjusting the CAFE numbers.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...scrap CAFE altogether. At this point, any manufacturer that let's their MPG numbers slide are going to take a hit in the market anyway.
    YES!!!!!

Thanks for ending my week on a high note! :)
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...between CAFE and the mileage ratings on the window stickers. Those of you who say the CAFE ratings use the "old" EPA method are correct, but since the 1985 model year, the posted numbers on the window stickers have been reduced by 10% for the city and 22% for the highway.

Under the new proposed scheme, window stickers will have to reflect the new test results, but CAFE for manufacturers will still be figured the old way. Otherwise, they WOULD be screaming bloody murder, especially those who make the most gas guzzlers!
    The FWD Cadillac Seville was rated 18 city 27 highway for 2003. The unadjusted numbers were 19.5 city, 34.5 highway. My 2002 Seville actually gets 27 easily, and 29 if one takes it easy on long trips. For city driving or local driving, I average more than the 18 MPG or even the 19.5 MPG that the EPA got. However, 34.5 on a long highway trip would probably only be possible if one cruised at 50 MPH.

In my opinion, rating the MPG at a steady cruising speed of say 50, 60 and 70 MPH or perhap 50, 65 and 80 MPH would really show buyers what sort of MPG they might expect on long trips at whatever sort of speed they like to cruise at. Also, showing the effect of speeding on MPG would be quite instructive.

A cold start, short trip MPG is very sensitive to the length of the short trip. This is why everyone gets a different city MPG. I get quite good city mileage because I currently live 10 miles from anywhere worth going to, and most of that ten miles is highway. I also limit my speed while the engine is warming up to 50 MPH till the temp gauge is fully warm, which takes about 5 miles on winter days.
    5 miles? It should warm up sooner than that, and then you could get better city mileage. Shouldn't it?

They run the EPA test at 52 mph max for the highway portion, right? It's no wonder the current ratings are so hard to achieve for most folks.

Automotive News had an article this week about how AAA did an owner survey and then did their own alternate test, and neither one got close to the EPA ratings.

Prius gets a 56 mpg combined EPA rating, owners are reporting an average of 37, in the AAA test it got 44.

Explorer got 16.8 in the AAA test, as well as in the owner's reports, but 18.3 from the EPA.

Silverado got 17.8 from the EPA, but only 15 mpg among the owners, and 13.9 in AAA's test.

I always manage to get close to the highway figure in around-town driving, and 10-20% above the highway figure on long highway drives. The key to city driving is smooth acceleration and letting off the gas if you see a stoplight ahead you know you are going to have to stop at anyway. Plus combining errands as much as you can. On the highway, the key is to keep speed as constant as possible, without a lot of accelerating to pass, and letting up on speed a little on long grades.

My Seville does take about 5 miles to warm up when I am cruising about 50 MPH on the highway (say 6 to 7 minutes) when the outside temperature is about 10 degrees Farenheit. What I mean by warmed up is when the temperature gauge reaches the center (normal) position. The oil is still warming up at this point, and probably takes 10 miles to reach operating temperature.

I am getting around 23 to 25 MPG in local driving. The computer says about 23 in winter driving, but my computer is goofy since the transmission was worked on. It randomly adds about a half gallon of fuel to the fuel used which then lowers the average MPG.
    As I recall, the current highway EPA test has a maximum speed of 60 mph, an average of 48 mph, and no full stops. The highway test is also run on a warm engine.
    I do not think that the EPA testing can predict what everyone will get in city driving. Everyone has a different route to and from work. The best the EPA can do is predict some average, but that is more or less where they are now. I think that a more useful set of information would be steadystate fuel consumption at 3 different highway speeds: 45 MPH, 60 MPH and 75 MPH. The cold start city test is also useful.
    I mentioned this elsewhere, but this is the more appropriate place for it:

Does anyone think this will cause a revolution in consumer buying patterns? Will they now totally shift away from more powerful cars as fuel economy ratings under 20 mpg become common?

Will they go further and downsize their next purchase, as even class leading 4-cyl midsize sedans will probably only get a rating of around 25 mpg, and midsize SUVs and crossovers will also be under 20 mpg?

Or will they not care, and go right ahead, because gas is cheap and easy in the good ol' U.S.?

OR will the whole thing fizzle out, as the new EPA test proves to be little better than the old one, because it is too difficult to predict (as posters here have pointed out) what real-world driving will produce for FE?

Personally, I don't think the new ratings will change overall buying habits a bit. Most folks I know have known for quite sometime that the EPA ratings were on the optimistic side and only used the ratings for comparison purposes (in other words, if Car 'A' was rated 3mpg better than Car 'B' under the old standards, it will probably STILL be rated as 3mpg better. The two ratings will simply be lower.) I think they will STILL just use the ratings for comparison purposes. Afterall, that is what the ratings are INTENDED for.

Just out of curiousity, why try to predict what the real-world FE would be? If in the buying process you are comparing (for example) a Civic Sedan rated at 30/40 and a Corolla Sedan rated at 30/38, all I would care about was that in the City they should get about the same mileage and on the highway the Civic might get about 5% better mileage.

It wouldn't change my buying decision one iota if the new ratings were 20% lower (24/32 for the Civic and 24/30 for the Corolla). I would STILL expect to get about the same mileage in the city and maybe 5% better on the highway in the Civic.

Or are you saying that folks go into the decision buying process saying "I must buy something which is rated at 30/40" and so, because the ratings get revised, they will just naturally seek out an even more fuel efficient car to achieve a predetermined target?
    Well, for most cars, the gas will be the single biggest operating expense you have. Maintenance and repair will not exceed it over the life of the car, neither will insurance. (Depreciation obviously will, but I am talking about operating costs).

So if you are trying to figure out the running costs of various cars you might buy (and witness the huge popularity of Edmunds' TCO tool for an example of the number of people that do try to figure that out), an accurate FE rating would be the single-most important number in your calculations.

In fact, if nobody cared about the ACTUAL mileage and only used the EPA numbers for comparison purposes (and yes, I know that was their original intent), why would there be such a large discontent over cars missing the ratings that EPA is now bowing to public pressure to update their test?

"...why would there be such a large discontent over cars missing the ratings that EPA is now bowing to public pressure to update their test?"

Because people have an expectation that if Product 'X' is advertized to have some measured 'something', then it darn well better have it.

I'm reminded of the flack that some manufacturer's take when they re-rate hp figures (when the engines don't generate the hp in the specifications). For instance, when Mazda first released the RX-8, it was rated at around 250hp. A few months after it went on sale, Mazda re-rated the engine at 238hp. And a lot of people were very angry.

Why? It's not as though their performance suddenly dropped; it's because they thought they bought a car with 'x' amount of power and BY GOD they DESERVED to have that car with 'x' amount of power. Why? Because they were sitting down with spec sheets and feverishly comparing hp numbers and curb weights and gear ratios and who knows what else to rationalize the purchase of car 'x' over car 'y'.

Same (IMO) with mileage ratings. You wouldn't believe the number of times people with BRAND NEW CARS go into the various 'Problems' board to complain that their new whatever is not getting the EPA rated mileage (go check out the '06 Honda Civic board) even though their cars won't get their best mileage until after break-in and gas mileage is notoriously worse in the winter than in the summer. But that doesn't matter: all they know is the car was rated at 'x' and it damn well better GIVE them 'x'.

They aren't trying to figure out their running costs (and figuring in expected tire life/replacement costs, etc.). They just have this number in their head (the mythical RATING....oooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm) and they want their car to get that.

But even if everyone IS really trying to figure out the running cost of the cars under consideration prior to purchase, the PURPOSE of doing that calculation is to COMPARE. And if car 'x' is projected to have lower running costs than car 'y' under the old EPA ratings, it will have lower running costs under the new ratings. And the delta in the running costs should be about the same.

Or are you suggesting that some folks calculate to such a razor thin economic edge that whereas they could AFFORD the running cost for their car under the old ratings, that the new ratings would cause them to reconsider their purchase?

I can't see that.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    You wouldn't believe the number of times people with BRAND NEW CARS go into the various 'Problems' board to complain that their new whatever is not getting the EPA rated mileage (go check out the '06 Honda Civic board)

For the record, I always drive older used vehicles that get 25-28 mpg and are midsized. I would never buy a NEW car (or a used one) in order to get a better mileage one until the old car is ready to die. I have never been able to justify in my mind that the fuel savings would cover the additional costs of owning a newer vehicle.

Having said that, when you go to market like Honda and Toyota have with inflated mileage claims, you have to make sure that the vehicles can actually achieve those mileage claims.

I went with one of my employees when he purchased his Hybrid Civic last year. The salesman touted the 50 mpg and the tax credits over and over again throughout the presentation. The employee drived mostly on rural highways and has pretty consistently achieved 38-40 mpg during the breakin period, during the summer months, and during the winter months. He has never gotten anywhere close to 50 mpg. He was getting 40 mpg+ on his old Plymouth Colt.

Personally, I would be very content driving to work in a car the size of a Fiat 500 with modern safety equipment. Howevr, I have no intention of doing it until such time that the average vehicle on the road is not half the size of a tank.
    I'd rather drive a Civic hybrid than a Plymouth Colt, but that's just me.

The hybrids are overrated, but... they're the still the most fuel efficient cars you can buy with modern amenities and the safety level of a modern and decently sized car. And for every 38mpg Civic hybrid, someone's getting 24mpg in a Civic non-hybrid.
    ***someone's getting 24mpg in a Civic non-hybrid.

Civic non-Hybrids are only getting 24 mpg....??? I guess that I mistakenly thought that they were getting closer to 32 ppg.
    No no. Generally, they're in the 30s. But every car model has some drivers getting significantly under the estimated mileage, not just hybrids.
    drop is going to hit the poor old hybrids. I am really wondering just how bad it will be. Most Prius owners are reporting 42-48 mpg, which is already bad enough compared to an EPA rating of 60/51, but a recent AAA survey that Automotive News cited concluded the owners surveyed were only getting 37 mpg on average.

If the new EPA test slaps a 37 mpg on the Prius sticker, just watch sales wither away...

But if you can get 32-24 in a gas Civic, why pay $5k more to get only 10% fuel eceonomy improvement.

BTW, the employee really liked his Plymouth Colt. Bought it for $700, drove it for six years, sold it for $300. Of course, he is in his early 60s and has had 6 or 7 vehicles including his '70 Winnebago.
    I wouldn't pay the extra money for a hybrid either.

What I was saying though, was that sure, the best Civic EX might come close to the worst Civic Hybrid in mileage. But the worst Civic Hybrid will be a lot better than the worst Civic EX. The average Civic Hybrid will still be 20-30% better than the average Civic EX.

As for the Colt... glad he liked it; I wasn't expecting to hear that. I've been rather frustrated with my own $300 car, and now realize the worthwhileness (to me) of refinement and ergonomics.
    A car that gets 20 MPG will use 5000 gallons of fuel to go 100,000 miles. A car that gets 40 MPG will use half that amount. A savings of 2500 gallons. At $3 per gallon, that is $7500 dollars. Or $15,000 over 200,000 miles. Trading an expensive car (say $30,000) in that probably is worth half that for something to get better fuel economy will not really save much in the long run.
    But in that same scenario, buying the 40 mpg car as a second car may well save you most of the purchase price of the car, if you drive a lot. That was my situation with my truck, and the little Echo I just bought to run off all the local miles. The truck became an occasional driver, mostly for weekend trips to the beach and up to the mountains.

The Echo is rated something like 34/42, and I am getting about 39 mpg so far in exclusively local driving. The new version of this car, the Yaris, will be available in about three months. Its EPA rating has actually dropped slightly, to 34/40. It has the same engine as my car but has put on some weight. I wonder what its rating will be under the new system when the '08s arrive. I imagine it will be around a combined 33 or 34. Once they get done re-rating the whole fleet, American cars are going to look like a group of SERIOUS gas guzzlers.

If you were going to buy the second can anyway, then one with better fuel economy is a good plan. My point was that dumping a perfectly good vehicle with lots of useful miles left in it, just to get something with better fuel economy will not save you much. However, if you have other reasons to get something different, then you must balance the fuel consumption with other factors to make the best choice.

While I would like a station wagon for example, and while something like the SRX or Suburban is like a station wagon, the SRX is a bit of a fuel hog, although better than the Suburban. A VW diesel wagon is probably the best choice.
    Chevy and Toyota have gone head to head in advertising of the number of models they have that make at least 30 mpg (I believe they are tied at nine apiece, or were when those ads were running a few months ago).

I am guessing that after the new EPA ratings go into effect, Toyota's number will drop to about three (Yaris, Corolla, Prius?), and Chevy may not have any at all! :-P

Possibly the Aveo will still make the cut, my guess is that would be about it.

But what a hit it will be for both companies' advertising, eh?! :-)

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    My old Saturn SL2 always got 30 mpg or better in or out of town. My SC1 would beat that all the time. But to tell the truth anything close to 25 MPG is about all I expect. And after selling my old Ramcharger I am getting great mileage at anything over 20. I would give up the room in the focus or the PT for 5 MPG and maybe not 10.

But lets take a look at the real world. I know you were pulling for a Hatchback a few months ago, and out came the Honda SI. It had lower HP than the other little hot boxes so it fell flat on its face. I am sure it got better mileage but no one seemed to care. Now the new SI is out and seems to be selling better with more ponies. People don't seem to care.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    My old Saturn SL2 always got 30 mpg or better in or out of town. My SC1 would beat that all the time. But to tell the truth anything close to 25 MPG is about all I expect. And after selling my old Ramcharger I am getting great mileage at anything over 20. I would give up the room in the focus or the PT for 5 MPG and maybe not 10.

But lets take a look at the real world. I know you were pulling for a Hatchback a few months ago, and out came the Honda SI. It had lower HP than the other little hot boxes so it fell flat on its face. I am sure it got better mileage but no one seemed to care. Now the new SI is out and seems to be selling better with more ponies. People don't seem to care.
    do you think more people will care when gas gets back to summer prices, even God forbid $3/gallon again? Oil just spiked Friday within a few cents of $70/barrel. Those prices will be back. But maybe people still won't care, I dunno.

I was half joking with my previous remarks, by the way. Chevy and Toyota won't care - Chevy will go back to pushing horsepower in its ads, what with all the SS models hitting the streets this summer, and Toyota will go back to pushing hybrids.

I think oil will remain at fairly high prices for some time yet. What the longer term outlook is remains to be seen.

Regarding the proposed changes in measuring MPG: The EPA clearly expects the ratings to fall. What is not clear to me is whether they still plan to adjust the ratings under the new method like they do now, or if the new measurements are supposed to be accurate enough to stand on their own. The do seem to be proposing to have an expected range that a typical driver might expect for each vehicle. Cars with a 30 highway rating now may drop to 26, but the range may be 21 to 31. (see EPA's example)
    I think it's pretty clear that the new ratings will stand on their own. This time, they won't apply a mathematical "correction" factor, which was simply a band-aid acknowledging their current method gave too optimistic values.
    looked that closely, but so under the new system, the EPA won't give two numbers as they do now, then? They will give one range for city, another for highway?

I am afraid they will make it so meaningless that we will long for the old system back. If my new Corolla gets 18-48 city and 25-55 highway, that information is going to be pretty uninformative!

I think that there will be a city number, the test measurement, and also a highway number, plus under the large test number, an expected range that you might get. Their website shows some proposals: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labels.htm
    the top one is the current label.
This discussion has been closed.