Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander Transmission Problems

Comments

• bushytalebushytale Member Posts: 2
    Hi its Bushytale here again, from time to time I will try to add some web sites for freelander part suppliers that I have found here in the UK hope they are usefull ? www.pistonheads.com this company supply VCU (Viscous Coupling Unit) and IRD ( Immediate Reduction Drive) VCU'S should be replaced at 60K you CANNOT TELL THAT THIS ITEM HAS WORN OUT whilst driving and it will cause premature transmission failure I dont know what the prices are like over in the states but I feel sure that for availability it may be worth sourcing the parts from here in the UK and shipping them over if it costs a few dollars and a short wait it may save a lot of dollars and a whole lot of heartache and stress. Please let me know if this info is of any use and I will keep posting as I find new suppliers.
    I havent started my rebuild as of yet but will keep you posted as I go along.
  • finsfins Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I’m having the same problems that everyone else is having; F-4 flashing on dashboard will only drive in 4th gear. But I can go in reveres and in sport mod, I can shift gears. You seem to be very Knowledgeable about the transmission problems were all having. Do you think I’m having my Transmission rebuilt for nothing????
  • gac62gac62 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you. Without actually seeing the transmission, performing a diagnosis, etc. I can't say if it really needs rebuilt. I do know, from extensive research that a flashing F-4 indicates faulty/failed shift solonoids. Depending on the nature of the failure MAY lead to hard part damage. In most cases though, the repair can be limited to pulling the valve body, replacing the solonoids. The challenge will be finding the solonoids as they are a dealer part and there seems to be a shortage of these solonoids available.
  • audieaudyaudieaudy Member Posts: 1
    What is the name of the shop you got your transmission repaired?
  • antonio2012antonio2012 Member Posts: 4
    hello everyone!!!

i did a quick check in this forum but i did not see any post about a 2004 freelander HSE. The thing is that i'm about to bought a 2004 freelander HSE with only 18,000 miles at a very good price. I saw the vehicle yesterday and i was chock, it was too good to be true (interior and exterior). I mechanic told me that he don't recommend this SUV because the transmission of these SUV are problematic. I need a second, third or fourth opinion about this (or any problems at all whith this SUV) that's why i'm posting this message. Remember it's only 18,000 miles.

PS.: i'm from dominican republic (don't know if the weather has something to do with the good or bad performance of the SUV).

THANKS!!
  • kbombakbomba Member Posts: 6
    All of these engines are the same. You will suffer from the same fate as the rest of the Freelander owners. I had a 15,000 loan on my vehicle that is now a driveway ornament. Land Rover will not help when it dies and will dismiss you even if you demand they do something about. I loved my Freelander and it WAS too good to be true. Engine blew at only 85k miles on it. I stongly advise you and anyone to NEVER consider a Freelander, no matter what the year.
  • 03hippo03hippo Member Posts: 6
    I had an 03 SE and just offed it at 61,000 miles after seeing evidence of coolant leaking into the engine. A known issue with those is the slipped cylinder lining. I took excellent care of that truck with all the service and it never seen any off roading. I was also having some issues with the transmission. I found a Honda dealership close by that offered me 5,500 for it on trade and I took the money and ran. (With an 08 CRV). There's a reason you can get that truck cheap... :lemon:
  • stotziesstotzies Member Posts: 1
    I thought I'd add my voice to the discussion. I purchased a 2002 Freelander new and had problems off the lot that required about 4 trips to the dealership to get fixed (don't recall the exact problem).
    I've had window motors go on the sunroof and both rear windows. I had a broken hood latch and a leaking fuel pump, while it was quite new.
    A month before the warranty was expiring my Service Engine light came on and it was behaving strangely. I took it right in and they "cleared a bunch of error codes" and sent me home. A month later it happened again and I lost power. This time they said I had a short in the throttle body and $450 to repair. I got upset and they replaced it at no charge. I swore I would sell the car, but a new one was too expensive.
    Now my Service Engine Soon light came back on and I'm having the delay in shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Thanks to this forum I know to ask my mechanic to check the solenoids. If I get it running well again I'm going to trade it in for something new. My land rover dealership is 70 miles away so I use a local person now that the warranty is out. I only put 10,000 a year on my car and hate to think how much more would have failed if I drove it rough, as this car is supposedly intended for. I'd love to join in a lawsuit. I expected a lot more from a "premium" car company. :sick:
  • pr0898pr0898 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Freelander. When I'm driving all of a sudden without hitting the breaks I feel a hard hit (like in the transmission or engine or somewhere), the TC and HDC Failure amber light starts flashing and it changes from drive to a flashing F and changes to a flashing 4 and so on. This also happends when it's raining. What can the problem be?
  • laff2laff2 Member Posts: 8
    If it shifts normally, does not seem underpowered or goes from 1st then revs high but drives slow, (your transmission), I would guess a solenoid or sensor that went bad. Mine did the same, but it would rev up after first gear and moved slowly (trans). Not effected by rain or anything.
  • pr0898pr0898 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. I've hear a lot about the solonoid. it's just so strange that it changes from Drive to F-4 flashing and the other 2 lights come on. It gets slow so i have to stop, turn it off and when I turn it back on it goes away. I'm just concern it will break down in the middle of the highway. But, when yours did this, did you feel and hear a noise, like someone hit the car? It even feels like the if someone hit the break fast.
  • JulieDRMJulieDRM Member Posts: 1
    We have a Freelander TD4 S 2005 which runs perfectly happily, however the HDC and Auto Transmission lights come on and F4 flashes on the dash. We have had it to Landrover and they seem to have drawn a blank and put it down to driver error. This seems slightly ludicrous, has anyone any suggestions (polite ones please!). Many thanks.
    :confuse:
    I almost did not reply because you asked for polite suggestions. However; I can't just sit here knowing what I know about this vehicle. While I do hope that you are one of the very few who actually have a good working Freelander, for the life of the vehicle, I will tell you that mine drove great the entire time I had it and then one day out of the blue it just died and was never to come alive again. Landrover gave me the same run around as to how clueless they where and there was nothing they were willing to do to help me. They even went as far as to say that I may be the reason it died. All I am saying is be very carfeful with your decisions to keep this vehicle. And be wise as to how much money you put into repairs because it may just be wasted money when you suffer the fate of the rest of us! If in fact you do suffer the same fate (I will cross my fingers that you do not) just know that lawyers are able to get you a settlement from Land Rover because they are very aware of this aweful motor company that is no longer in business. Best of luck!
  • 02lrflsux02lrflsux Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Freelander and am having many of the same problems that have been noted. Many thanks for the postings thus far.

Coolant tank and thermometer went at ~55k miles - cost ~$1,000 to fix
    FM radio cuts out after ~1 hour of use
    Both back window regulators completely broke
    Now transmission is slipping and sometimes totally failing up hills and/or at higher speeds (50 mph) at ~70k miles.

I guess I'll try to get it fixed at a shop. Never buying a Land Rover again.
  • deb42deb42 Member Posts: 2
    How is the law suit going? do you have a case. There is so many problems wrong with this car it is so frustrating because the dealer ships knows there is a problem and they keep ignoring it. (why not we keep going back to letting them fix it.)
  • deb42deb42 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Freelander "03 and in the last three years I have owed this car I have had the following (it started with the coolant leaking )repairs... it doesn't seem to stop. I know I need to get rid of it - but I don't want to let anyone else buy this car who doesn't understand the problems - it is not fair - that's what the dealership did to us. Everyone falls in love with this car until they own it, and then disaster strikes and it is too late. I can't believe there is nothing that can be done

fuel cleaning (not exacting why but it cost me)
    throttle
    gear box & convertor, transmission , regulator
    cylinder heads replaced, serp belts replaced in 5/2007 and again in 3/09
    ignition coils,
    recall
    replaced engine changed over ancillory equipment & refitted, fuel pump?
    sunroof - engine and cables replaced twice
    throttle housing replaced again
    latches on doors wouldn't work and it goes on.

Now I am smelling an odd smell again -( as my daughter said it smells like cat urine? ) it is the best way I can discribe it . The engine is hesitating and is sluggish... has anyone had this experience? the dealership is looking at me like I have two heads? Told the dealership about the smell in the car in March and they took the whole care apart and replaced the thermostat again and one week later it still smells..
    My lawyer has already settled with Land Rover. While I do not feel they gave me anywhere near the worth of my vehicle or troubles I am just happy that they gave me something. I recieved a check for $2545.00 and that was after the lawyer fees. I also got ot keep the vehicle to maybe send it to auction. The lawyer I used lives in NJ and I live in NH but he made it pretty painless on my part. I got his name from a posting off Edmonds. Will be happy to share it with anyone interested. :lemon:
  • brasillisbrasillis Member Posts: 2
    Hi!!!

This one is my mother-in-law's car wich has been sitting for about 2 years now, due to countless mechanical nightmares, she "kindly" asked me to research about it for
    her and i told her about them law suits against land"robber" and would like to have
    the lawyer's contact that you've mentioned, that would be extremely appreciated.

sincery
    Cristiano
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you wish to exchange contact information (names, phone numbers, addresses and so on) please do so using email. We prefer that you not post that kind of information in the Forums. You will need to make your email address visible by changing the settings in your user profile so other members can have access to it.

Thank you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • brasillisbrasillis Member Posts: 2
    Just want to drop a line to thank you for the lawyers info!!!!
  • jessie421998jessie421998 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2002 Freelander as well, and it started to shake when you drive it. I guess it's a transmission problem, but the servcie station did not find out the problem. It's also under warranty. Can I ask which state are you from? cause I live in Canberra, and one of the car service people told me they don't have much experience in Landrover.
    Many thanks.
  • jessie421998jessie421998 Member Posts: 2
    my suggestion is NO~! I bought a 2002 Freelander from the dealer as well, and all I wanna do now is to burn that place down and kill the man who sold it to me and said it was good.
    Land rover is expensive, so second-hand, and a good price always means sth. wrong.
    New Hampshire
  • kwelshkwelsh Member Posts: 5
    I would like to have the lawyer information. In 18 months I have had done the following:

total emissions replacement - $1500.00
    Coolant replacement - $1200.00
    Fuel Injector - $500.00
    Replace right front hub assy - $600.00
    Replace left lower control arm - $400.00

this is in addition to scheduled maintenance work = $2600.00

Now the transmission is bucking and the power steering pump is leaking!!
    What if the person's email address is not available - then what?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Most members chose not to receive email; they follow discussions that interest them using the Watch this Discussion button. Or they'll tell the forum software to send them an Email Alert when new messages are posted, using the same button.
    kbomba stated to share lawyer information but i have no way of emailing this person. I did post a message asking for it, but i am at the mercy of if and when this person might read postings.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but i am at the mercy of if and when this person might read postings

And that is part of the problem. Someone posts an email address then disappears with no apparent intention of contributing further to the discussion. That tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. Perhaps the original poster will return and make her email address visible in her profile.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Please share lawyer information - I need it!!
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    Lawyer information:

Law Offices of Howard A. Gutman
    230 Route 206, Suite 307
    Flanders, New Jersey 07836
    (973) 598-1980

Worked for me!

Regards,

Louis
  • landeruklanderuk Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2004 1.8 freelander, the temp gauge and light comes on when the engine is not hot , I could be driving 3 hrs or 3 mins for this to happen , when I switch the engine off and on again its fine for a while longer , the coolant is fine , I think it may be a sencer or something that needs restting
    help me :confuse:
  • landeruklanderuk Member Posts: 2
    I mean resetting oops
    thank you! i will contact them and see if they can represent me or refer me to a lawyer who covers Texas.
  • needanewcar7needanewcar7 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 Freelander. I bought it used about a year and a half ago. I have already spent $2000 on repairs at the Land Rover dealership. Now my transmission is going out. Is it possible to purchase a rebuilt transmission for this vehicle and have someone private put it in? I will do anything to avoid that aweful dealership. I've never given someone that much money and been treated so badly.

Betsy
  • laff2laff2 Member Posts: 8
    When mine went out, I looked at returned ones that were aftermarket and remanufactured Land Rover ones. I was able to have the dealer help me out and install one for under $4K. Pricey but drove it over to an Acura dealership and never saw it again.

Range Rover would do nothing for me. 2 months out of extendend warrenty from Range Rover and only 11,000 miles since it was certified by Land Rover when I purchased it used.

I was about to trade it in for a Rover Supercharged Sport when it happened and since the manufacturer still did not care when the dealer verified that I had one on order, they still did not care.

They are crap...Do yourself a favor, run as fast as you can away. I know its a painful cost, but make your life better and get rid of it. Its worth any loss. I can tell you that first hand.
  • piliannipilianni Member Posts: 7
    I just spend $9,000 trying to have this piece of s..... in working condition so I can get rid of. If you can get it working again tow it to the nearest dealer and trade it in. you will be better without it. Dealer knows very well of the issues with this vehicles and will just laugh at you after you walk away.
    Here are the things that failed on my:
    Water Pump, Gas Pump, Coolant container crack, stop lights fail, gas tank lid broke in pieces, Passenger Window motor fail, Windshield wipers fail, Transmission Fail, Engine blow out.
    BEST ADVISE: BUY TOYOTA OR HONDA THEY WILL LAST LONGER AND WITH LEST PROBLEMS :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • islandlrfislandlrf Member Posts: 1
    THE ORIGINAL TRANSMISSION GAVE OUT AFTER 11 MONTHS AND LESS THAN 5000 MILES. I HAD TO PAY APPROXIMATELY $2000 TO GET IT TO A DEALER WHO THEN REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. THIS WAS IN 2004, NOW THAT TRANSMISSION IS ON THE BLINK. I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE ALL THE DOOR LOCKING MECHANISMS AT LEAST ONCE. THIS CAR IS JUNK. SOMEONE NEED TO GIVE THE OWNERS SOME RELIEF. LANDROVER NORTH AMERICAN IS AS HELPFUL AS A BANDAID TO A BROKEN KNEE. CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE SOME DIRECTION ON RELIEF. I CAN'TEVEN GIVE THE CAR AWAY.
  • mark_cmark_c Member Posts: 8
    Did some research on the V6 used in the Freelander:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_KV6_Engine

Seems Kia built a modified version of Freelander V6 and installed it in their vans. I wonder if one could install one of these instead of the Land Rover version (saw that the KV6 derived KIA engine was used in Australia, even though perhaps the US KIA engine would still fit). Perhaps the transmission would work as well? Even if there isn't no connection for the rear wheels, you'd at least have front wheel drive. (a 2wd reliable Freelander is better than a dead on).

I also wonder if a Honda V6 would fit, Rover has used Honda Engines in their cars, and some Rovers were basically English built Hondas.

The KV6 replaced a Honda V6 in the Rover 800
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_800 Read the middle part of "1996 minor facelift"

As with any car out of warranty, the best way to own one is to be able to do some or most, if not all, of your own work. The major stuff can be left with an independent shop that will not charge an am and a leg and one you can trust. OTOH, the Freelander isn't that old of a car and it's reasonable to expect it to not to have inherent engine problems or transmission failures.

The Freelander problems I've read here make a good argument for buying or leasing a new vehicle and getting rid of it before the warranty runs out.
  • mindy2010mindy2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hello I am also the owner of a 2002 nightmare landrover freelander I bought just 3 months ago with 53,000 miles and its now in a shop with transmission issues along with a heating issue at UNDER 60,000 miles! I just sent a complaint off to the Better Business Bureau and also a call in to Howard Gutman an attorney representing those with Landrover issues but I do not want to just stop here alone I want to make Land Rover accountable for the garbage they have been selling to innocent unaware people out there! I am attempting to get some numbers and records on these vehicle issues and looking for as much support as I can get to make this knowledge as public as it can get!
    Mindy
  • attrociousattrocious Member Posts: 2
    My gorgeous 2004 Landrover with less tha 35,000 kilometers DIED!!! It looked as beautiful as the day I purchased it new. The engine died...a common problem
    Its a CRIME that it wasn't recalled . REALLY How many people with the same results can have the same bad luck.HMM
    BEWARE they will offer you a so called great deal to buy the new LR2,do your own calculations its no great deal . For somemore insight I fell for it sadly, then after not even 2,000 km the engine warning light was on,and of coarse the dealer had never heard of this happening before... I quickly sold it got my money back. The noise driving with the windows down in the LR2 is LOUD.
    I will NEVER buy another landrover! The disgusting thing is that these are still being sold on car lots to people.
  • mindy2010mindy2010 Member Posts: 3
    I just have one question? Why has this nightmare and the treatment we're all receiving not made public knowledge to warn other innocent people out there? I have contacted the BBB and an attorney and plan to do whatever it takes to bring this to the publics attention!
  • attrociousattrocious Member Posts: 2
    Maybe everyone should print off these fourms and drop them off to our local newspapers and television stations.
    The amount of money the have and continue to steal from people is a crime.
  • darylmacdarylmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GE Freelander V6 auto that has a very hash transmission shift between 1st & 2nd gears changing up and also changing down 2nd to 1st. The change from 2nd to 3rd is fine and 3rd to 4th is slightly hash.
    Reading your message I believe the issue could be faulty soleniods in the transmission, but which ones??
    I am 500 miles from the nearest dealer, however if I could find out what parts I need to fix the problem I could replace them myself possibly.
  • darylmacdarylmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GE Freelander V6 auto that has a very hash transmission shift between 1st & 2nd gears changing up and also changing down 2nd to 1st. The change from 2nd to 3rd is fine and 3rd to 4th is slightly hash.
    Reading the comments in the forum I believe the issue could be faulty soleniods in the transmission, but which ones??
    I am 500 miles from the nearest dealer, however if I could find out what parts I need to fix the problem I could replace them myself possibly.
  • mighty_momighty_mo Member Posts: 2
    all the posts i have read about the landrover freelander are a nightmare for me. It broke down just off the ship in Daresalaam, Tanzania while I live in Zambia. How do I get it home? it was the timing belt and after replacement, now needs compression valves replaced. my heart's sunk right to my toes.
  • hawaii77hawaii77 Member Posts: 1
    I'm so relieved to find a forum about the Landrover Freelander--because we are at a loss as to what to do with ours. Our SUV has 49,000 miles, and like everyone else on this forum, the tranny is supposedly needing replacement! According to our mechanic, our options are to sell for parts ($2000) or fix the problem ($$$)--which he's not 100% sure what that is...it's between a blown gasket or some other yet to be identified problem!
    Basically, this isn't our first rodeo with faulty Landrovers. Our Discovery II had multiple problems and luckily, we found a private mechanic who bought the repair manual and parts off of ebay (cost us $500) to fix what Landrover quoted us $11,000 to repair (seriously).
    Anyway, I guess I'm just venting b/c we've decided not to fix and just to sell for parts and take a gut wrenching loss. It makes me sick to think that all of us are having the same issues and LR does not acknowledge the problems.
    Good luck to you all!
  • nazretnazret Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have owned over 20 American, Japanese and German cars at age of 36, I have always thought I was going to purchase LAND ROVER/Range Rover....Freelander. Unfortunately after reading postings on this forum, I started touching my right pocket to see if my $8000.00 cash is still there, because it doesn't sound like every single one of these posters actually bought a vehicle but robbed by the Land Rover/Range Rover........I really appreciate every single one of you for saving my money.
    SUV trucks in the worst condition than any Land Rover product are sold for a lot more expensive while used Land Rover are always under $ 8.000, no wondering they are ridiculously cheap but look good. what a joke, I don't just hate British product but also the way they do business, their idiotic thoughts about their inelegancy is really high and they never thought others are more smarter than them, in fact the world is tired of their ****** - whether it's politics, business or production. Americans should not even import nothing from England and waste our exchange, this is total rubbish. I RECOMMENT EVERY AMERICANS TO CONDEMN ANY BRITISH PRODUCT. I don't want to be cheated by these idiots who don't really understand others values.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Land Rover is based in England but Tata Motors of India owns it. Before that Ford owned it from 2000 to 2008.
  • louishnlouishn Member Posts: 8
    Do not spend any money on any LR product. If you want a list of what went wrong with my wife's Freelander, just ask. My son is a trader in NYC so many of his friends have bought Range Rovers - they are all unhappy. Son has 2 Infinitys. He's happy.
    REgards,

Louis N
  • khuntsmankhuntsman Member Posts: 1
    if you take it to aamco it will cost you around 2800 to fix, i had mine replaced at 98,000 miles. the freelander is a great vehicle with way to many problems. my advice is to get out of it and into a differant car. im trying to do the same.