Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Civic Interior Issues

adnoh52adnoh52 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Honda
We have quite a lint problem on the light gray seat fabric. Does anyone else have the problem and has anyone found a product to apply that reduce the lint attraction to the seats.

Comments

• medic4txmedic4tx Member Posts: 18
    No issues here with my 06 Sedan. :) I wonder if it could be coming from your clothes?
  • danielle1danielle1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having leather put in to solve this problem the seats in my civic ex 2005 are awful but love my car ;);)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    if you think you have problems with your fabric seats wait till you get leather. We have them. We have to clean them and put a conditioner on them to keep the leather from drying out and crack. They get very hot if the car sits in the sun and you do not put a sun shade on or a towel on the seats or they get very cold. The leather does smell good tho and they do look alot more classy but I still prefer fabric.I have a 2005 civic ex-se and I have no problems with the seats.What color leather are you getting not cheap are they
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    I too am noticing a large amount of link sticking to the fabric.
  • adnoh52adnoh52 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply; I'm sure it's coming from our clothes, I just can't remember ever having such a lint
    problem with any other fabric interior. I think we'll just put on some seat covers since we are in and out of the car so much and I don't feel like cleaning the seats every other time we use the car. We wouldn't trade the car for any other; it's just a minor annoyance that is worth putting up with.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    The problem we had with seat covers was that they covered the side airbags on the seat. They will not deploy if you have them covered up. Maybe you have found covers that open on the side but we did not. As a result, we took them off.
  • 38127103812710 Member Posts: 2
    Both of my sun visors have cracked along the top edge-has anyone else had this problem? this is my first honda, I expected much better quality. the dealership says I'm the 7th vehicle to have this!
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    I assume the visor that flip in-and-out? Confuse :confuse: What material(visor)do your vehicle have, curious mind?
  • 38127103812710 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the standard windshield visors.I'ts a civic lx the visors have a hard plastic shell & the simple tension of moving them back and forth in regular use caused them to somehow expand from the inside, cracking the outer shell,when this happens they go limp and just hang down obstructing vision.my dealership( Shack findlay- Las vegas,Nv) has ordered new ones and states this is becoming a regular problem.
  • candieraecandierae Member Posts: 1
    My driver side sun visor cracked. the dealership told me that there were 20 other people that came in with the same problem that same day i went in. there are also 2 brackets that have broke in my driver seat. they have to order me a whole new seat. i never had any problems like this with my 2004 civic.
  • jboltonjbolton Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem, but just with the driver's side visor. I am also having problems with the cover to the air bags in the rear on either side. The cover seems to be pulling away. I had one side already replaced by the dealer, but it started again the next day. I first noticed it after a really hot day. The dealer now says that there isn't much more they can do. The service rep and I checked out several new Civic coupes on the lot, and all of them had this problem to some extent. I am planning to contact Honda corporation about this. Anyone else noticing this?
  • mcwalters53mcwalters53 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the driver's side sun visor crack on my 06 Civic. I also have a glove box rattle that is getting worse by the day.
  • hockeyfoolhockeyfool Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2006 EX sedan auto with about 5,000 miles on it. I just brought it in to have the following things looked at by the dealer - dealer response is noted:

bogging down at 1500 rpm in low gears - "normal" even after I took the mechanic on a test drive
    wind noise on drivers side door at highway speeds - mechanic couldn't hear it - I must have super human hearing.
    wrinkly in drivers front seat - mechanic thought this might be a valid warrenty issue, but service manager disagreed. My point is that seats are a wear item, and the wrinkled section will wear much faster than the rest.
    very slow rear defrost - works but takes 10 minutes just to remove the morning dew - what will happen when its ice? Mechanic said normal.
    creaking noise when opening and closing the front doors. They greased the doors which took care of the creaking.

If nothing else, I got my complaints documented. . . .

Even with these (minor) issues, I still love my civic.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    seat covers are my concern also. I found a place that sold T-shirts (really big ones) 3 for $10. i put two of them over the seatbacks and sliced a big slot (actually, a couple of slots with a really thin piece to hold it together so that it stays wrapped around the seat- also hoping that if it has to deploy, that the thin pieces break) in the side through which the airbags can deploy. i have old beach towels on the seat. it may not look too cool, but it protects the seats.
  • perezrperezr Member Posts: 7
    I can help you withe the wind noise issue. I noticed this in my EX sedan as well. It's very faint, and half the time I wasn't sure if I was really hearing it or not.

I found this article, did the fix, and have been noiseless ever since! Yay! :D

link title
  • codimancodiman Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 06 Civic in December and the passenger side sun visor close mechanism broke through the back (window) side in March, and now hangs limp. In July, the driver's side visor joined the club. My suspicion was that this was just a really bad piece of equipment on a quality car. This forum seems to confirm this hypothesis.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Anybody know how to fix the popping off plastic? It's the piece to the left of the drivers shoulder on the door pillar.

M
  • punktepunkte Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '06 Civic EX in May and I've gone through 3 sets of visors already. Is there anything we can do as consumers to report this problem to Honda so they can provide a global fix? I am tired of taking the car in on a monthly basis :(
  • cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    Mine in the rear are doing the same thing......
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Cybergypsy, you need to send me an email asap - pat AT edmunds.com - thanks.
  • holymonkholymonk Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I too am facing the same problem, but on the both side (driver and passenger). Today I went to the dealer. They told me that they will will order new parts for me. But if that doesn`t help, then the problem is due to fault in design and they will be unable to do anything. Have you contacted anybody regarding this problem?
    Yes, I contacted Honda USA. They contacted the dealer. The dealer's response was "all of the other Civic coupes on the lot were the same way", so in essence, there was nothing further that was going to be done. I imagine that all of the other Civics on the lot had sun visor problems too, but that didn't stop Honda from fixing that problem. It is obviously a faulty design problem, and it is asthetically displeasing, but I guess we are stuck with it. By the way, mine is on both driver and passenger sides as well.
    I completely agree with you, the popping of the plastic from the side is asthetically displeasing and frustating. I am not sure if this problem is widespread, since there is not much discussion I could find on the net/forum. My dealer is getting the new parts for the side pillars, I hope that fixes the problem. I feel cheated. I would have as well gone for Toyota Corolla.
    holymonk,

Please let me know what your outcome is. As I previously wrote, the dealer fixed mine and it stayed that way for a whole day. Also, I am curious; do you live in a hot climate? I think the heat has a lot to do with the problem.
  • kapil_civic07kapil_civic07 Member Posts: 2
    Recently bought Civic 07 LE, Ext color - Red, Int color - Ivory, which will get dirty pretty quick. My dealer and many forums advise not to put car seat covers since it would block side air bags.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to protect interior from stains, dirt and all?

Thanks
    Kapil
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Scotchgard. There's a new version just for auto upholstery, but I've used the standard cloth protector for years. Available for a few bucks at most hardware, discount, and automotive stores.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I had that same problem but with my 05 sedan. The dealer replaced it twice and knock on wood it seems to be fixed.It happened while I was living in PA and now am in NC.
  • amirhamirh Member Posts: 4
    I recently traded my 4dr 06 Civic LX with an 07 one. The new one does not have the lugbug problem :) , but I can hear small noises from the rear windshield :( . It's like something is vibrating when the rear tires hit an uneven surface. also, There are some very small noises coming from the passenger door(again it seems something is vibrating as the passenger side tire hits uneven surfaces). Do you think I should care about these? Or I should just ignore it? I do not know if I should talk to my dealer about these because this type of problems might be hard to reproduce. :confuse:
  • sramachandransramachandran Member Posts: 6
    Hi- I hear some rattling noises in my Civic 2007. The problem is, it does not happen all the time. ;( I'm pretty sure that is comes from the somewhere near the back seats. It is a clear audible rattle when it happens. Anyone else have that problem?
    Also, when I turn on the music system, I hear some kind of a mild vibration from the driver side door? Not sure? Is it from the door glass? Any one with any ideas?
    When I back up my vehicle, when I turn either left or right, I hear some mechanical noise when I turn the steering wheel. This noise is heard only when I begin to turn.
    Also, I hear a loud transmission noise when I change from R->D. Is this normal too..

Enough of the list ;(

Thanks.
  • amirhamirh Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I also recently bought an 07 Civic LX. I have some of your problems(they also do not happen always),
    1- I can hear rattling noise from the rear deck area. I tried to narrow it down, but no luck.

2- I have the noise in my driver door, I think the window glass is kind of loose. Pull down your window a little, then close the door. I can hear the windows glass shaking when I do that.

3- Moving from R->D. It seems this is normal. I had an 06 Civic before this one with the same noise. I do not think this is something you should be worried about.

If you find solution for the rear deck rattling noise, please let me know.
    Thanks
    Amir
  • res046xkres046xk Member Posts: 8
    Me too. I hope that Honda will adress this problem in the future.

Art
  • navanodgnavanodg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 civic DX, This is the second car I have had leaking problems with. There was standing water in the trunk as well as under the back seat. I think the water under the seat was caused by sloshing water which came from the trunk because after I took the plug out from the low point in the trunk the water under the seat wasn't an issue anymore. Anyways taking out the plug was only suppose to be a temp solution because the water leak is still causing mildew and such, not to mention my trunk is practically unusable because anything back there gets soaks. I am having a really hard time finding the leak but I am fairly certain that it is coming in from the driver’s side wall of my trunk, or at least running along the top and ending up dripping down the driver’s side wall. Any suggestions? Maybe I have a bad weld or something, the seal looks good but I guess I could be wrong? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Navanod

The floor in the back seat is damp, I haven’t really looked into that thinking maybe they are somewhat related but I’m probably wrong about that because the dampness is still there after the plug was taken out of the trunk. Any input on that would also be helpful.
  • nosarbnosarb Member Posts: 3
    Make sure when your Honda dealer removes mice/nests/ feces, etc. from heating/ air conditioning areas that they do it correctly.
    It is my understanding that areas must be disinfected and not just vacuumed out. A check of government rules guiding removal of hazardous material will tell you what is requried. This nasty stuff can make you sick.
  • buddyo31buddyo31 Member Posts: 3
    Its seems like everyone has the same problem. I have a 06 civic that just broke 30k and I took it to the dealer for vibration. everything was rattling in my car also. they rotated the tires and sent me on my way. but the vibration was still there. i took it to farm and fleet and they took one look at what were the rear tires and told me i had broken belts in my tires and i needed new ones. i don't yet know what the warranty is on the tires, but 30k is a little low for needing new tires. i have read some other threads and a lot of people seem to have this problem and it is only with the rear tires. seems like an alignment or suspension problem. if anyone checks their tires after reading this let me know if you have the same problem. I am going to the dealership tommorrow to let them have it and if they don't replace them for free i will be writing a lot of letters to honda. :mad:
    Hi,

I have a Civic 06. I hear some rattling sound from the passenger side (when it is empty), but not when someone is sitting there. The sound is not very loud, but has started to bother me a lot of late...
  • nosarbnosarb Member Posts: 3
    I've also had rear tire problem. Dealer said one rear wheel was not in alignment when car was made. They said they fixed alignment and replaced tire as it was torn to shreds.
    Other back tire then started going bad. Dealer would not stand behind second back tire. They said first bad back tire caused second back tire to go bad. Took car to another dealer and they balanced all tires and that one back tire was unbalanced. Go figure. Someone is jerking on my chain. Now I'm going to be stuck buying new tires not knowing if it is a tire problem or not. I've got the feeling I'm going to be buying new tires every 30,000 miles on this car. Wife thinks car is a lemon.
  • vvileyvviley Member Posts: 46
    Some of your issues are simply limitations of physics:

Below 2000 RPM, a little 4 cyl. engine will provide very little power. If you're driving a manual, you should probably be doing most of your driving at 2000+. If you've ever looked at a torque/hp graph of any engine, you'll see that there's not much going on down there.

Depending on your age and profession, you might actually have better hearing than your mechanic. Mechanics generally work in high-noise environments and their hearing suffers because of it. Also, the younger you are, the better you can hear. Off-topic, but a good illustration of this is the "Teen-Buzz" ringtone that's becoming pretty popular. High frequency noises that young kids can pick up, but not older folks.

The rear de-frost-er is designed for removing frost, not condensation. Melting a thin layer of frost requires much less energy than evaporating natural condensation. It might not seem like it, but when frost forms, there's actually very little there.
  • jelklanjelklan Member Posts: 1
    So we were test driving a Honda 07 Civic LX coupe the other day, and the better half suggests that the gray interior looks cheap and like it's fall apart quickly. It's not something that would have occurred to me on my own, but now that she mentions it, it seems like a legitimate concern. How durable have the interiors been for y'all? Do they get really dirty and show stains? Do they get worn very quickly? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
  • civicsensecivicsense Member Posts: 3
    I too have this exact problem (rattling sound from the passenger seat). Have you had any luck fixing this? Can you please let me know. Thanks
    Hello,

Got it sorted, I guess it was due to foot mat.
    Hi,

I poked around under the seat and it seems to be coming from the area where the seat foam meets the seat metal hardware. I dont think it's the foot mat.

I'll prob remove the seat and take a closer look.

ps, my problem goes away from time to time.
    so it's def coming from the top right corner of the passenger seat. I have almost narrowed it down to a loose screw or something like that. The noise is progressively getting worse.
  • civic12civic12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year and model with the same problem. I just noticed this happening, haven't had the car for long. Let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same...

JJ
  • atlratlr Member Posts: 22
    Just wanted to add a report about another cracked sun visor to this thread.
    Took delivery December, 2006.
    June, 2008, drivers side sun visor splits opened when flipped and will no longer stay flipped up.. I can see broken plastic inside the mechanism :( .
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Seems to be a well known problem with the '06 models. Should be swapped out under warranty though.

The Sandman :)
This discussion has been closed.