Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Dodge
With the price of fuel being what it is, the mileage you're getting is becoming more important. This is the place to discuss the mileage performance you're getting out int he real world.

Comments

• midnightblumagmidnightblumag Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 05 RT and am experiencing only 18-19 mpg on the highway. I drive 135 miles a day with all but 15 miles or so on the highway and am averaging around 70-75 mph. Can I expect my mpg to go up as the engine breaks in or is 18-19 the real average mpg on these cars? I didn't buy the car for the gas mileage on my commute but I am hoping that the window sticker average is somewhat close.
  • exvetteexvette Member Posts: 8
    Midnight,
    Mine had only 1500 miles when I took a 1200 mile trip about the same speeds as you and quite a few spurts to get around people. My first tank got 20mpg but my second got almost 23. Both using manual figuring. I have also noticed much better acceleration since I passed 2500 miles, give or take a few.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    I just bought a 2005 R/T showroon demo which had ,5000 miles on it. I now have 7,800 miles on it. My mileage is not good so far - 13-14 around town and a maximum of 17.5 on the highway (cruise control at 75mph on the NY State Thruway). I have a ski box on the roof and four continental high speed rated snows. The dealership checked the car over - they think its the ski box and snows that are driving the MPG way down. Am I expecting too much? My previous car - a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon - showed no drop in MPG with snows and a ski box.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Don't remember where I read it, was an article about gas mileage, might have been cr. The roof box will definately effect your mileage.
  • fourteen14fourteen14 Member Posts: 85
    My RT gets 25 mpg at 65 cruise, 27 mpg at 55 cruise, and 17 mpg in mixed driving. Maybe the Amsoil, K&N, and 22" tires help!??!

:D
  • sxtawdguysxtawdguy Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

does somebody has a realistic gas mileage for an 2006 SXT AWD ???? :confuse:
  • lennyskylennysky Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 RT RWD. I use 89 octane. Most of my driving is city traffic, and I usually average around 16 - 17 mpg. When I did drive some highway mileage, I would average around 18 - 19 mpg. But, now that summer is here and it's getting hotter out, I'm finding my mpg dropping when using the AC. So, I'm probably around 14 - 15 mpg city when using AC. So, with gas prices, I just have to sweat a little more!
  • badkitty1badkitty1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 SXT with the 3.5 V6. I live in Louisiana, so the A/C is on year round even if it's cold out because it's so dang humid you have to keep it on turned to hot to defog the windows. I have been getting about 20 in town and 23 hwy which I am very pleased with. I don't drive like a granny either! Granted it's not the 32 I got with my old Geo Prizm, but I'll take it! At least I can compete in traffic now!
  • glene319glene319 Member Posts: 1
    Gas mileage. Rated 17-24. My all round driving mpg is 16.5, on total miles. I have gotten 23.3 on the highway, but was traveling right at 60 mph. Any time you get up to around 70 the mileage goes down. On a recent trip, going between 65-75 mph, I got 20.5 mpg. I consider that good, considering the 340 HP engine. This Magnum is probably the quietest car I have ever owned. No wind noise at all, rides great on the highway, too. :):)
  • gboomergboomer Member Posts: 6
    I just got my black pearlcoat magnum SXT RWD over Memorial Day weekend. I LOVE this car. The wife calls it our gangster car. It is the most quiet, smooth riding car I've ever driven. I drive 114mi round trip every day 30/70 city/hwy and I no longer need a nap after the long commute. If I keep it 70mph and under, I get 25, but that's really difficult in this car since it handles and rides like a dream. I'm getting the front windows tinted tomorrow to match the rear, then I think I'll change my last name to Soprano :shades:
  • hop44bhop44b Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 SXT and on a trip across the U.S. from CA to NY with the car loaded(5200lbs!!)I stop at truck scales, I averaged 26 MPG @ 85 MPH. The only mod I did to it was a Stage 1 JET Proformance chip. Before I shipped it to Germany were I'm now Stationed(ARMY) I put a MAGNAFLOW Exhaust on it and played with the intake. I had it DYNO'D and came out with 302HP and 298TQ on 92 Octane. Over here heads turn when I roll by. The Germans have not seen anything like it even though Magnums are sold over here as 300 wagons. :)
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    Looks like most of the Magnum owners have the V8 or the 3.5 V6... anyone like to share their MPG with the 2.7 engine? 21/28 supposedly...
  • mulder_fbimulder_fbi Member Posts: 1
    How are you guys measuring mpg? Are you use the avg MPG in the trip computer?

Any tips for getting better MPG other than:

- having proper tire air pressure
    - getting rid of excess weight
    - going easy and steady on the gas pedal
    - having a clean air filter
  • sadboysadboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 SXT the dealer had sitting around and made me a great deal on back in October. 3200 mikes later this car still averages under 15mpg. 13mpg in the city and at it's best 17.9 on the highway.

Chrysler keeps sayng the window sticker is average mileage not actual and won't stand behind their numbers as the numbers attained "depend on personal driving style".

I baby this thing in terms of take-offs which is a shame since it's al ot more fun to take off fast. On a recent 500 mile trip at an avg speed of 82mph the maggie got a whopping 14.9mpg.

Anyone have similar experiences and were you able to get Chrysler to do anything (the local dealer says there's nothing to be done - mileage will get better as the car gets older)?

THanks
  • mitchwaasmitchwaas Member Posts: 2
    I've had my magnum for about 6 1/2 months now and am completely in love with it. I don't drive very often as I work from home but have put on about 7500 miles thus far, so it's still pretty immaculate.

Unlike the poster above who has had mileage problems from the start, this Magnum has been flawless, and aside from the first 500 miles of driving slow, it's been a dream, and the MPG has been very consistent.

The vast majority of my driving is on the highway, travelling 55-75 MPH, and I average around 22-24mpg on the highway. If I use the cruise control on a long empty stretch of road I've gotten as high as 26mpg. When I'm in the city it drops down significantly to around 15-17, but at that point I'm usually just enjoying the car - the speed it takes off is just SUCH A RUSH, I love the beautiful purr of this motor.

Not a single thing has gone wrong with this thus far and I just couldn't be happier. I'm glad I took the advice from the people on this forum and bought the RWD instead of AWD; though the wet-weather traction seems a BIT lacking, so when it comes time to replace the tires, I'll probably go with a more wet-weather-friendly tire, as I live in rainy South Florida.

Peace!
  • uddriveruddriver Member Posts: 6
    I've had my used 05 for a month and I've put over 5,000 miles on it. Just drove it from Michigan to New Orleans and I averaged around 20-22 mpg running hard at 85 mph. In town I'm getting 16-18 mpg...a little disappointing since my 01 Deville with the Northstar was getting those numbers. In fact, I could average 24 mpg in the Caddy on the highway running just as hard. But, you can't beat the looks of the Magnum. I was hoping for a bit better mileage....
  • kecajkecaj Member Posts: 4
    Did anyone try premium, and why manuf. wants only 89. From my experience all cars run better on 93 or up
    My understanding is that you need to stick with the octane the car is rated for. If you trade up or down the car's computer will adjust the mixture and negate any benefits.

My 2005 R/T AWD with an AFE cold air intake gets 22-23mpg on the highway when cruising between 65mph and 75mph. At 80mph and above I get 19mpg. Around town I get 16mpg to 18mpg. While the gas mileage is not good compare to my previous car, a Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, the Hemi is just too much fun. As a volunteer firefighter it gets me to the fire house real fast!
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    The revised (lower, more realistic) EPA ratings are now out. Check out fueleconomy.gov.

Dodge recommends removing the roof rack cross bars when you are not using them.

The principal determinant of fuel mileage is vehicle weight, regardless of all other factors (of course, hybrids are a special case). Notice that the 3.5 V6 and the 5.7 V-8 get identical mileage (if driven in an identical manner). Once you stick your foot into it, that's another story.
    About the octane: The manual warns that heavy detonation can damage the engine (duh!).

But the brochures say that the Hemi, at least, has two detonation sensors, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't hear any detonation with my '06 Hemi.

(My '87 Grand National has a detonation sensor, also, and retards the spark if it senses any. You lose a little power with lower octane gas, but no harm done).
  • srt8dansrt8dan Member Posts: 1
    I have an SRT8Magnum and get almost 21 mpg at a steady 75 mph. In town if I am getting on it, I get about 12 mpg.
  • magnmlover77magnmlover77 Member Posts: 1
    Over the summer I did a trip with my 3.5 SXT covering nearly 4000 miles over 6 weeks. In brutally hot summer weather on the prairies at 110-120 kph ( 70-75mph) I got 31.82 miles per gallon on regular gas with AC on . Had I slowed down I'm sure it would be higher. I did move to synthetic oil (Castrol GTX) and swapped out to a low restriction air filter. Now that it is being discontinued I know I will never get rid of it. It is too much fun.
    My (N.O.S.) 2006 AWD hemi gets around 12 MPG around town (I drive very conservatively most of the time). When the service manager took the car for a few days to diagnose a problem, he told me that HE got around 12.5, and didn't seem to think that it was out of the ordinary.

On limited hwy miles, I have gotten around 21-22 MPG at 65-70 MPH (so much for the 4-cylinder shutdown mode).

Compared to this car, my '87 Buick Grand National is an economy car. Like someone said, if I get my foot into it with the Grand National, mileage suffers, but I could easily get 18-20 all-around if I lay off of the turbo.

These Magnum numbers are WAY below even the revised, lower EPA figures.

One thing I noticed is that there is soot in the tailpipes of my Magnum (none of my other modern cars do this). You can feel it with your fingers, it is a greasy-feeling black powder. Soot, not oil.

I think that I am going to take the car to an independent shop and ask him about this; maybe have him run an exhaust-gas analysis. If he doesn't have an analyzer, I think that I might pay for a full emissions test (with the all-wheel drive, it will only be a two-point idle test, since they can't do a full dynamometer test with AWD).

I also have a new 2007 Toyota Sienna (minivan). Both cars weigh about 4,200 lbs. Of course, the hemi is a larger engine, and is geared down a little more. Then there is the issue of the increased friction of the AWD system. Still, I can easily get 18 mpg with the Sienna with just a bit of hwy miles mixed in, and can get 24 MPG cruising at 70-75 MPH.

Remember, the Sienna is both much higher and wider than the (narrow) Magnum, so the frontal area is much greater. So the disparity in mileage just doesn't make any sense.

To me (a virtual lifelong car guy and mechanical engineer), the critical clue is the exhaust pipe soot. I am going to have that investigated.
  • 2005maggie2005maggie Member Posts: 6
    I Just bought a 05 RT AWD with 33000 miles. I drive 95mile a day and the best I got was 19.1 based upon my consumpsion. The trip advisor states I am getting between16 & 18 while driving HWY @60-70. I find the trip advisor states I am getting better milage when driving a little harder. But judging from reports I see others are getting closer to 23 @ my 65ish speed. Any comments or updates?
    I must also add that I own a 1968 Charger that stock has 335 HP but with a small bore (375HP). I dont feel 340HP. Iknow there is a 1700lbs difference(magnum more) but I am a little dissapointed. I drove a ne 300 and found the same performance(lacking).
    Maybe it doesnt have the throaty tone to impress drivers. Who knows.
    I have been running injector cleaner and gasoline stabilizer through my 2006 AWD. Mileage around town is now about 15-16 (the revised EPA city mileage is 15 mpg). At around 65-70, I get around 22, which is the new EPA highway mileage. So one of the sensors (probably the oxygen sensor) must have been fouled by varnish after sitting around for two years.
    Your '68 charger weighed only 2,500 pounds? Where did you get that figure?

I would bet that it weighed at least a 1,000 pounds more than that.

My Magnum is nearly as fast as a stock '87 Buick Grand National, which is as advertised. With AWD, you don't get any wheelspin/sliding action, which makes the car seem tamer than it really is.

My impression of the hemi is that it feels more like an old '60s V-8 than anything I've driven in a long time. But the "snap" that your '68 has is largely due to the high compression ratio it has. Is your '68 a stick? That would make it seem even wilder by comparison.

I'll tell you this: when I put my foot down, traffic disappears pretty fast in my rear view mirror, and in the few brief "jousts" I've had so far, no one has pulled on me (I don't actually race on the streets anymore; it's just too damned dangerous).
    Thanks for your comments!
    My 68 Weighs 3,800lbs. The magnum Weighs 5,100 according to the door sticker. Compression was increased to 10.1 in the Charger. So you are correct on some point that I have already factored in. I have driven 3 new hemi's and find every one of them has the same lag when accelerating at certain speeds and then the motor kicks in WOT after a momentary delay. At that point it is satisfying but that is the worst 340 I ever drove. And I have driven many high HP cars.i.e Porshe 930 Andile inter cooler waste gate turbo.98 Corvette 350HP. Many 65-69 Mustangs. And now poor maggie
    Gotta love the car despite it's lack of EXPECTED power.
    Every one I speak with is happy with the performance. Has any one ever driven a real 340hp car before to rate to this one?

I may have to chip the ECM to get some more hamsters out of this car.

Happy driving to all!!!!
    CORRECTION Maggie is 5,500 lbs not 5,100 and 3,800lbs for the 68 charger. So my number were correct when I originally stated 1,700 pound difference between the two. I hate second quessing myself when someone offers incorect figures based upon their knowlege.My numbers didnt equal the Charger at 2,800lbs as stated by my friends here.

Thanks for trying!

I am going to beat the [non-permissible content removed] out of this car tonight an see what she has to offer.
    FYI: I have only lost a mild race to one car. Newer Porshe Cayman or 911. I took him from 60-110 and then he kicked in and took a half car leadfrom 110-125. I think I could have maintained lead if I were to get used to the auto stick to gain ground. But the Charger would have eaten him up.. Yum Yum Yum.

Thanks to all!!
    Whoa-whoa-whoa.

Where in the world did you get that a Magnum weighs 5,200 pounds? It would only weigh that much if it were carrying 1,300 pounds of load.

The V-6 Magnum that Consumer Reports tested back when weighed, I believe, 3,950 pounds. A Dodge Ram pickup Hemi might weigh 5,200 pounds. Add in the hemi, 5-speed and AWD, and loaded with other options, and it's about 4,200 pounds.

(If you were talking about a 1972 Cadillac, then 5,200 pounds would be correct. But cars were huge back then. Just check the weight listed in any Magnum , Charger or Chrysler 300 road test (see below)).

I was guessing that the 68 Charger weighed at least 3,500 (the 2,500 pounds cited plus the 1,000 pounds additional I stated). So your figure of 3,800 certainly sounds reasonable.

But if you're going to challenge someone else's information, you'd better get your ducks in a row first.

Just where did you get a curb weight of 5,200 pounds for the Magnum? That is SO WRONG!

Here are some other sources:

The Family Car website:

2005 SE (2.7 liter V-6) = 3,855 SXT (3.7 liter V-6) = 3,903 RT AWD (Hemi) = 4,142

roadandtrack.com = 4,200

canadiandriver.com 2008 RT = 4,179 RT AWD = 4,393 SRT8 = 4,260

thecarconnection.com 2006 SRT = 4,260

motortrend.com 2008 SRT = 4,250

autos.yahoo.com 2008 RT AWD = 4,393

U.S. News 2008 Chrysler 300C RWD Hemi= 4,046

So the cited weights vary slightly (also, it looks as though the weights have increased slightly since 2005). But the highest (admittedly a stretch) is less than 4,400. 5,200 pounds is just silly.

By the way, after flowing several tankfulls through my Magnum with drygas, injector cleaner and gasoline stabilizer, my mileage has stabilized (pun intended) at 17 MPG around town, with perhaps just a sprinkling of highway mileage. So it appears as though my initial fears re a N.O.S. 2006 with aged gasoline were well-founded. It’s good that it was so easy to remedy.

As for throttle response, my Hemi is quicker than anything I have driven in a long time, but it won’t match that of a 60s-era high-compression V-8. Recently, I read somewhere that there was another reason for slow revving in modern cars, having to do with the computer control.
    Well Maggie performed as I expected with a challenge to a Volkswagen Jetta with a turbo kit. He lost but the car was a challenge to overtake coming from behind. Off the line the car is very impressive however it fails to impress mid and especially at higher speeds. Today I got it up to 128-130.
    Between 110-130 there is nothing there. Just a slow creep to 130.

To my friend. I have re-checked my ducks and find on was not in its row. I have reprimanded this duck and he promised to stay in row in the future. According to my door sticker my Maggie does weigh 4,142. The 5,500 figure was actually the GROSS weight rather than taking the CURB weight.

So back to the fuel rating.

Best numbers 23 highway driving like granny in the breakdown lane with no traffic and worst 17 highway opening it up in stretches of my 96 mile round trip with some occasional challenges.

That’s it for me problem solved poor gas mileage driving it moderately as the car should be. And poor mid range and no upper end.
    I’ve seen a couple items elsewhere on the net regarding the slow throttle response of the hemi, and how you could re-set the TPS by slowly depressing and releasing the accelerator pedal with the ignition on, engine not running. Frankly, I ‘m mystified.

I went down to the garage, fired up the Magnum, and could not detect any lag at all when blipping the throttle. End of problem.

I have heard that the computer controls of modern cars can lead to throttle lag. I just don’t see it in my car. Perhaps I’m just lucky.

I’ve said this before, and probably no one will care what I think, but if you are talking about street racing, it is just too damned dangerous these days (I’ve done a little, but not for years). First, there is just too much traffic in most places I frequent. Secondly, the law is serious about enforcing traffic violations these days, including wildly exceeding the speed limit. And they don’t stop at merely suspending your license and fines. They will throw your [non-permissible content removed] in jail. And God forbid anyone is seriously injured or even killed during one of your races, you are potentially looking at a long prison term. Think about how much fun that will be. You will be literally trying to cover your [non-permissible content removed] there.

Keep in mind that your Magnum has an event data recorder (EDR) on board, continually recording things such as vehicle speed, engine RPMs, throttle position and a host of other data. In the event of a crash occurring during your racing, this information can and will be used against you in a court of law, helping to send you to said prison. At least your ’68 Charger won’t tattle on you.
    I have a 2005 R/T AWD with 57,000 miles on the odometer. I live in Rochester, New York. I get 16-19 mpg around town depending on how slow I drive. On the highway I get 19-20mpg cruising at 75 mph. I once got 24 mpg on a long, flat road with a tail wind at 55 mph. The mileage is below the advertised figures, but that has been the case with every vehicle I have ever owned. I knew buying the Magnum would be expensive in terms of gas, but it is so much fun to drive, REALLY comfortable on long trips (I'm 6'4" tall) and very safe (AWD, ABS, ESP and all those airbags). My las car was a 2000 Saab Aero Wagon. The Magnum is much more fun.
  • highlander01highlander01 Member Posts: 3
    In the city avg. 17 mpg and on the hwy if I stay at 65 I can squeek 25 mi per gallon.
    In ND I use the blended gas 10% ethanol 89 oct.

We test drove a 3.5 liter and found it to be under powered and the gas mileage was about the same so we went with the Hemi. I feel it was the right choice for us and the driving conditions for what mother nature dishes out here on the northern plains.

I bought the car for road trips and we love it! Went on a trip to Denver with two other adults and all were happy with the ride.

50 k and still sounds like the day we brought it home from the dealership. :D
  • migrain1migrain1 Member Posts: 2
    06 RT AWD gets an avg of 17.5 with mostly town driving. Was around 16, but better with a K & N intake added. Much better power too. Does much better if you keep it under 2500 rpm and put it in neutral at stop lights.
    If I drive it like I want to, about 12 is what you get! ;)
This discussion has been closed.