Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 3-Series

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I actually saw a Charger SRT-8 Yesterday on my way home from work. It is definitely a bad mama jama. I love the hood scoop and aggressive styling. I'm sure you'll get the same stupid grin every time you mash the throttle and hear that 6.1 L HEMI V8 roar. But it's an automatic! And what is the story with this Charger with less than 2K miles? Is it a demo? Did somebody buy it and return it?

How many miles are on the E39 M5 you're looking at?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Well said Designman.

The E30 or 993 epitomize what a sports car should drive like.

The Miata, RX-8, S2000, Elise/Exige, and even the STi and Evo IX give me hope that there will always be undiluted new cars.

BTW, I drove the C6 (non-Z06) recently and liked it very much. Yeah, it's got power, but it also handles - and with rigid body structure and a nice, quality feeling and designed cockpit.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I think the M5 has more staying power due to its all-around qualities but good luck with whatever you choose. After all, we don’t have to be married to these vehicles, just throw money at them.

I'm really not in any hurry, but I can pick the M5 up for a really good price -ditto for the Charger- so I really will have to make a decision in the next few days. One thing that does concern me is the level of dealer support for the Dodge; I'm sure the service department will just laugh and scratch if I request a loaner. And who knows what they would do with the warranty if they found out(GASP!) I drove it on the track. Then there's the fact that I've been hard-wired into the BMW community for so long that I can easily find help with any problems I might have with the M5. I'd have to start from scratch with the Charger.
    But it's an automatic!

That engine has so much torque that I don't miss a stick(heresy, I know ;) ).

And what is the story with this Charger with less than 2K miles? Is it a demo?

Some well-heeled good ol' boy bought it and then decided he missed his pickup truck- so he turned around and traded it back in on a new Ram. I think he must have been dropped on his head as well...

How many miles are on the E39 M5 you're looking at?

@52K. The S62 V8 appears to be nearly bulletproof. The only red flag involves some engines that develop problem with carbon accumulating in the secondary air injection passages in the heads. Eventually the carbon accumulation blocks the passages and trips the CEL. Since the air injection system only functions at start-up(in order to light the catalysts off quickly for emissions purposes) the problem has no effect on driveability or vehicle performance. BMW's fix involves removing the heads and cleaning them(BIG $$$- dealers charge $7K or more to perform the procedure). I've heard through back channels that at least one aftermarket tuner has developed a $600 "Off Road Use Only" ECU reflash that causes the on-board diagnostics to ignore the secondary air injection system and thus the CEL stays off. That gives the savvy E39 M5 buyer an advantage over the non-gearheads who may want to unload such a car-or hesitate from buying one-because of the problem.
  • leftcoastmanleftcoastman Member Posts: 2
    Shipo and others,

Take a look at this track test done by a Greek car magazine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40398&highlight=335i+track

ON A TRACK, DRIVEN BY PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS, the 335i beats the M3 and barely trails the SMG M3. Clearly the 335i can turn, slalom and brake... And oh yeah, this was the Automatic version of the 335i.

Also, one of the tuners on that board has a plug-in product that is dyno tested to produce 400HP and 400+ ftlbs torque - and it's sold for $1300. Search around, you'll see the before/after dyno tests. And it doesn't change the shape of the curve at all - simply takes each point and moves it up on the graph. Take the base price of a 335i, tack on $1300 and you've got a 2009 M3 beater....today.

But of course, you don't have the cool/bragging/posturing factor of the M3, if that's important to you.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, something doesn't smell right about this. I'll wait for some more credible tests before I'm willing to believe it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I guess it depends on what your definition of "credible" is.
    Maybe I should have said something like corroboration, as in other tests showing the same result. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You also have to be careful with published dyno results. It is SOOOOO easy to cheat on a dyno and influence the results. And of course, the engineering had better not be reckless.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I'll take our previous go-around re: 335 vs. M3. Close but no cigar.

As far as modified engine/computer/drivetrain, you're either racing or you're wasting! I'll never modify a stock car designed for a certain specification. All guarantees/warranty are gone (unless certain Dinan mods) which are certainly not designed for bang-for-the buck crowd.

My view is have a good daily driver and a dedicated track car if you want to make it a true hobby. So, M, Quattro, Type S, CTS-V, SRT-4,6,8,10, C-6, should be good enough for the street with no mods.

Regards,
    OW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    & other ROUNDEL readers: There was a scary amount of the ROUNDEL editors (Including Satch) in this past month's issue that said they not only loved the new 335i Coupe, but would buy it with the automatic! YIKES! What is this world coming to?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• leftcoastmanleftcoastman Member Posts: 2
    Mr. Shiftright,

Maybe I should have been clearer. Most of the dyno results were not posted by the manufacturer. They were posted by group members who went out and bought it and did a pre and post-install dyno test. I intend to do the same once mine arrives.

Given the very similar results across different users, either it actually does work or there is some really big conspiracy for various consumers in various states to fool the 335i population into buying a worthless device. Maybe it's led by the same people who faked Elvis's death!

What other device costs you $1300, is undetectable (and I don't condone lying), takes 20 minutes to install and gives you +90 ft-lbs and +70 HP? If you can find it, I'll buy it.
    Well I guess what I was trying to say is that peak horsepower is probably the worst way to indicate if a chip is any good or not for your car or if the tuner knows what he's doing. The chip with the highest HP might not be good at all. I'd really have to know a lot more about the chip, what the chip attempts to do and with what parameters (A/F, spark, rev limiter, shift points, blah blah), and how adaptable it is to other engine modifications.
    I'd really have to know a lot more about the chip, what the chip attempts to do and with what parameters (A/F, spark, rev limiter, shift points, blah blah), and how adaptable it is to other engine modifications

The only way you are going to get anything close to a 25% power boost out of that engine is to crank up the boost pressure to the ragged edge. The problem is, for $1300 you won't be getting an upgraded intercooler or cooling system, both of which you would need to keep the motor alive. It will be intersting to see how established tuners such as ACS, Alpina, and Dinan modify the 335i.
    "The problem is, for $1300 you won't be getting an upgraded intercooler or cooling system, both of which you would need to keep the motor alive."

How much would that cost?
    How much would that cost?

I'd want an all-metal radiator such as the one Zionsville Autosport offers for the E36/E38/E39. You get increased reliability as well as an improved cooling capacity. As for the intercooler, I just don't know; I'm not even sure that the E90 has enough room to fit a larger unit. As I said, it will be interesting to see what the professional tuners do to the 335i.
    There was a scary amount of the ROUNDEL editors (Including Satch) in this past month's issue that said they not only loved the new 335i Coupe, but would buy it with the automatic! YIKES! What is this world coming to?

Well, I've moderated my anti-slushbox views a bit as well. The newer autoboxes work very well with an engine that has a broad torque curve, such as the M62 V8 or the new turbo gas and diesel engines. The autobox in the 335i will even match revs on downshifts, making it a treat to drive in a "spirited fashion". That said, I still prefer a stick in a car that develops power further up the RPM band. The older fours and the ///M engines are good examples of this. And, a bit OT, I think Jeep Wranglers are absolutely ruined when fitted with a slushbox.
    My main gripe with most BMW slushboxes is the fact that they will often ignore the driver, upshifting or downshifting even in manual mode. I can understand why the box would ignore a downshift command in order to prevent a mechanical over-rev, but why should it upshift on its own? There's already a rev-limiter in place. Finally, I'm not as pessimistic as Mike regarding BMW automatic transmission longevity. My old E39 has over 140K on it and it is still running fine- and there are a lot of slushboxes on the E39 Enthusiasts Group that are pushing 200K.
    There is a misconception that it's a lack of maintenance that does in ATs, but really, the enemy is HEAT...it must be that some BMW owners are in conditions that cause more heat stress....whether that's mountain driving, desert work or something as simple as running underinflated tires all the day long. I wish ATs had temp. gauges.
  • drdaviddrdavid Member Posts: 1
    I hope that you guys (and girls) don't mind a question from a relative novice. The lease on my 2003 330xi (auto trans) is running out in 3 months. I am interested in buying another 3 series with AWD. I noticed that according to Edmund's web site, the 2007 328xi has slightly more HP (but slightly less torque) than my current vehicle. Given this, do you think that I will notice any decrease in responsiveness/drive if I were to purchase a 328xi, compared to what I am driving now? Unfortunately, I am not sure that I can wait until late Spring for the 335xi because of my lease (nor am I sure that I want to pay 50K for a car right now).

Obviously I know that I will ultimately need to test drive the vehicle, but I was wondering if any of you had experience with these vehicles.

Of note, I didn't buy the 325xi in 2003 because I thought that it had a really sluggish drive (with the added weight of the AWD).

Thanks!
    I lease the '06 330xi which is obviously discontinued. I do not know why they went from 330 to 328...doesn't make sense.

The 328 should be quick enough for you if you were satisfied with the '03. Let us know when you test drive it.

If the performance is very important to you and you are set with BMW, go for a 2 year lease. Your other option is to stretch your current lease for 3-4 months until the 335Xi is due out.

Regards,
    OW
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I don’t think you will find much difference in the power department. Your 03 has 14 lb-ft more torque but the torque in the 07 comes on at lower rpm. A test drive should reveal what you want to know.

2003 330xi
    225 HP @ 5,900 rpm; 214 ft lb @ 3,500 rpm; weight 3538 lbs

2007 328xi
    230 hp @ 6500 rpm ; 200 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm; weight 3582 lbs
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I assume you will be going with an autotrans?

If this is correct, the newer 3xi also has a much improved transmission, now at 6 speeds vs the 5 speed auto that was the norm in the older version.

This with the torque coming on slightly sooner will make the new version "probably" feel more zippy than the older 3.

The mileage too will be better, the engine will pollute less and maintenance intervals are up to 15,000 miles for the normal routine stuff (oil is about it until you get past your term of ownership, basically.)

Overall, you will be taking a step forward.

The 335xi will be a BLAST, there is no doubt, but if you can't wait, well then that's that.

If you want to consider such a move (and I bet you won't since the new 335 will probably not have much BMW financial support at least initially -- translation high lease payments now, declining after a few months when the newness of the 335 is replaced by someone else's newness, etc.) you can ask to keep your current car for a couple of months.

Here are two possible scenarios. . .you keep the current car and make the lease payments and that's that. There have been times, however, when you can keep your current leased vehicle WITH a replacement on order and a portion of the lease payment is considered a cap cost reduction on the new car.

I am generally not in favor of a DP on a leased car PERIOD. This may be the one circumstance that if offered may make some sense if what you really really really want is a 335xi.
    There is a misconception that it's a lack of maintenance that does in ATs, but really, the enemy is HEAT...

Well, yes and no. Excessive heat breaks down the ATF and the lubricated/moving parts in the transmission suffer accordingly. If the transmission isn't running all that hot, a change of the fluid at 50K-60K intervals will be sufficient to keep it running for 150K-200K miles.

I wish ATs had temp. gauges.

Don't hold your breath... My 1993 Pathfinder at least had an ATF temp warning light.

I wish BMW would fit a glass cockpit that could be configured by the driver. That way we gearheads could have all the information we want at our fingertips.
    I do not know why they went from 330 to 328...doesn't make sense.

BMW model designations used to correspond with engine displacement. Tody the numbering system is used to differentiate cars within a model range.
    Really? An ATF heat warning light? That's very cool, I didn't know that....great idea!
    BMW model designations used to correspond with engine displacement. Today the numbering system is used to differentiate cars within a model range.

I was rereferringo the drop in power output. Doesn't make much sense to go from 255/230 to 230/200.

Regards,
    OW
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    They’re careful about how much power they dole out. I guess they figure that jumping the 325 to 255 hp in the 328 is giving you a baker’s dozen, if you will. No free lunch. Taking the successor of this current 328 to 255 hp is a logical next step. It’s a good thing there are the HP wars. I don’t think they would have given the 335 that much power if it wasn’t for the competition. Think of how miserly Porsche is with power. A 245 hp Boxster equates financially to a 400 hp Corvette.

I believe it will get to a threshold where many customers will be quite satisfied with the power offered on the lower-end models, although it will always be different story with the performance-pushing buyers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a shift in sales percentages from say the 335 to 328 in the future. Speed limits aren't being raised but power and acceleration times have improved substantially through the years. All of this is benefits the consumer and it’s a good thing too because we have to put up with all of the other bs they put into these new cars in addition to increasing weights.
    I agree with the weight issue in terms of lbs. or kg./HP. I always thought that a good wight limit in the compact to midsize segment should be around 3,000 lbs. The advent of lighter weight alloys will no doubt find their way into the design. Corvette has the right idea with the fiberglass body and magnesium/carbon fiber.

Then, you don't need 500hp/383 lb/ft of tourque to move the added weight in say an M6.

250/250 or 300/300 would be quite potent. Pushing 900 lbs. less is a big advantage for total performance IMO.

A Z06 weighs 3,132 lbs and comes close to my goal weight. This is probably the only car manufactured in the U.S. that is world class (now). With 500 HP/470 lb./ft. or in stock 400/400 model, there is more than enough blend for an enthusiast or meglo-enthusiast.

Regards,
    OW
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    The 328 model didn't replace the 330i.. It is the entry level 3-series... It replaced the '06 325i (which also had a 3.0 litre engine). I believe the '06 325i was rated at 215 hp, so the 328i is a 15 hp jump from that model...

The 335i (turbocharged 3.0 litre) replaced the 330i.. A power jump from 260 hp to 300 hp..

2006.. the two 3-series models were 215/255 hp

2007.. the two 3-series models are 230/300 hp

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    335xi coupe out next September.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    335xi sedan out in March [of 007]!

Audi S4 performance for over $7,000 less -- with better gas mileage to boot!

Now if you could just get the RED leather interior in the sedan. . . .

:confuse:
  • adebertiadeberti Member Posts: 11
    Thinking about getting sometime in 2007 a 330 Ci convertible either 2004 or 2005 with a 6-speed manual and ZHP if I can find it. Anything to look out for? Will there we an increased supply of them after the new convertible comes out? And would that be reflected in lower prices or increased bargaining power?
    Also, is it worth to go CPO (or buy extended warranty from another party)? And do the 04-05 models have free maintenance?

I’m located in the SF Area (south bay) any recommendations?
    Weatherford BMW in Berkeley.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    Something to watch for... They had killer lease deals on '05 330Ci convertibles in the fall of '05..

If you check swapalease, you might pickup someone else's good deal..

However, if your ultimate goal is to own the car, that won't save you a lot of money...

If you can find a leftover '06 right now... It has $5500 of dealer cash on it.. You could probably negotiate $8K off of MSRP. (Of course, that is still $46K for a ZHP model).

'04 models should be coming off lease all this year.. Should be a good supply.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• frankel19110frankel19110 Member Posts: 5
    Put in my order for 335i Convertible on April 21 (sparkling graphite/ coral red/ sports pkg/comfort/ bluetooth/ sirius/ manual trans.). Dealer had an order number to give me on that date. Owners' Circle still shows "On Order" status.

Any idea what to expect for total build and delivery time. In the past for other BMWs, I got to at least Schedule for Production in the first 2 weeks. I imagine there might be a backlog for this vehicle, however, given recent introduction.
  • elizn21elizn21 Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know what is the price that you bought for your BMW 2007 convertible. Were you able to get at the invoice or below the invoice price?

I went to the dealerships this weekend to check out the price and some of the them were quoting me outrageous price. One of the dealers was quoting me $5K to $10K above the MSRP due to new model while another was quoting me $1000 less than the MSRP price. I think about of them are high.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace! You'll want to check out the 3-Series Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion as well.

Good luck - keep us posted.
    I don't think the top failure warrants replacing the whole car either.

Don't worry, they'll make it good as new.

Just my $0.02
  • lollipoplollipop Member Posts: 2
    BUYER BEWARE - I purchased a BMW 335i Convertible 3 weeks ago. It is a wonderful car....a 12 on a scale of 10. However at 380 miles the top malfunctioned and parts got crushed. I asked BMW to replace, rather than repair the car. They would not do so. The dealer, Crevier BMW has been terrific but the manufacturer has insisted on repairing the car which needs a new middle top section that will have to be painted and probably impact the resale value of the car. Based on this experience I would not purchase this car again and I say to you out there....BUYER BEWARE.
    Didn't you post this last week too?

FWIW, I see no reason why BMW should replace the car when a repair will be just as good.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There was a problem with the first post so lollipop has edited and reposted at my request.
  • lollipoplollipop Member Posts: 2
    So you don't think it will affect the resale value when I have to disclose the car has had the top section repainted. My friend who owns another dealership tells me it will...if I am honest about it.
    You do know that cars routinely come off the boat with cosmetic flaws/damage etc., don't you? The port facility inspects all cars, and as needed, repairs/repaints bumpers, trim, etc. on a daily basis - no record or disclosure on these repairs.

If you ever saw some of the damage they repair at the port, you might never buy a new car again.
  • donnabgood1donnabgood1 Member Posts: 39
    Oh gee fedlawman, thanks a lot. lol. I just looked up owner's circle and I found out the 328i I ordered in March has just been sent to the processing center, yeah (!) it's almost here at my doorstep.. now I read your post about port damage..makes me feel good.. i guess it is the same thing when people say if you ever saw what the kitchens look like in the restaurants you'd never eat out again.. such is life.. life is messy as the country singer says.. how about me, a month before before my lease expired, someone hit my innocently parked 325i..2500 dollars worth of bodywork damage in the shop for a month. The bodywork ruined my bluetooth connection and BMW assist.. another 3 days in the service dept. And all the while making a BMW payment while driving a Buick Lucerne rental..and I was planning on selling my car before lease return..talk about worrying about resale value. with 4 days left before lease expiration I did sell my car and disclosed the accident though it did not show up on carfax reports.. to this day it doesn't..but it was the right thing to do..and good karma pays back and it didn't in my experience affect resale, as long as repairs are done by BMW and backed by BMW people are comfortable with honesty.. it's when you try to hide something that the problems start..the woman who bought my car even called me the very next morning at 8 am.. to tell me how much she loved the car and to thank me again..wow. I was shocked. I thought it was a call about buyer's remorse..but just the opposite..so's that my happily ever after story.. :)
    Sorry to hear about your 325i and I salute your honesty.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "The port facility inspects all cars, and as needed, repairs/repaints bumpers, trim, etc. on a daily basis - no record or disclosure on these repairs."

If I'm not mistaken, "minor cosmetic repairs" to new cars that do not require disclosure under the law do not include the repaiting of bumpers or body panels. I had a friend several years ago that ordered a BMW 7-series. It wan't until after he took it to a different dealership for service that they pointed out that the driver's door had been repainted. The selling dealership claimed no knowledge. After a couple of months of getting no where, he put one call into a particularly notorious attorney that handles BMW claims specifically. Two weeks later he was told told he could pick up a brand new car at comparable MSRP off the lot or order to his exact specifications.

I don't know if the issue was failure to disclose, or that body repairs of that degree are not permitted to be sold as "new" period, but he prevailed.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I don't know if the issue was failure to disclose, or that body repairs of that degree are not permitted to be sold as "new" period, but he prevailed.

I am sure the involvement of the "particularly notorious attorney" played a big role in BMW/dealership's decision. The loss of profit from selling one 7-series just isn't worth it compared to the legal fees that might have cost them.

Of course, it could have been for the sake of customer relation.;)
    I believe in California there is a dollar limit regarding disclosure, something like...$499?....
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You may be right about the dollar limit.

But I believe the case was won on the basis that the repair would affect the future retsale value of the car and could not be done to "factory standards"; hence it should have been disclosed. Obviously, some repairs can be done without any compromise to the integrity of the car. I've heard of chipped windshields and xenon headlights being replaced, and even an entire convertible roof replaced on a 911 Cab when it was somehow ripped in transit.

The issue with repainting a metal body panel is that it is virtually impossible to replicate the factory finish process. I was awarded "diminished value" damages when my Acura TL was hit when it was only 6 months old. The repairs (new repainted bumper, grill, etc.) were done professionally, and I can't tell the difference from new, but my dealer would disclose that those parts have been repaired / replaced on trade in.
    I think an expert shop could duplicate the factory finish but in reality most dealers wouldn't pay for that kind of work---that's the real problem.
This discussion has been closed.