Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe - MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
With the price of gas being what it is, your real world mileage is becoming more important than the estimates on the sticker. This is the place to talk about your real world on the road results!

Comments

• mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    On a recent trip to northern Wisconsin, all highway miles, driving 60-65 mph we got 35.7 mpg. Pretty relaxed drive, nice weather. Outstanding vehicle. Our normal city driving has shown about 28 mpg.
  • jstant01jstant01 Member Posts: 65
    My 2005 5-speed Vibe has consistently returned around 35mpg in mostly highway driving (70mph) to work and back.

On long trips, at extended highway speeds of between 65 and 70mph, I have registered as high as 40.2mpg. I am very pleased with the Vibe's gas mileage!
  • unknownunknown Member Posts: 5
    We are consistently getting a little better than 30mpg. We are very pleased with it.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    I average 32+ MPG mostly highway driving, sometimes using the A/C and sometimes not. Best tank so far was 33.33MPG before it was hot enough here to use the A/C. I drive normally most of the time and spirited occasionally. With my commute to work a fill up lasts about 6 days. I'm happy with it. (Sort of envious of those Scion and Civic owners who are getting 38MPG though...) By the way, it would be helpful and more meaningful if everyone includes the model and transmission type when posting. ;)
  • pdrakepdrake Member Posts: 10
    I am averaging 25-27 mpg with my 2006 VIBE GT. I must use 93 octane fuel or, it pings. I am very happy with the car because it really has some get up and go plus it gets decent mileage. I havnt used the AC much this year but, that is mostly for when the wife rides with me as I prefer the windows down and sunroof open.
    The Mrs and I took a brief road trip today and got 37 mpg running the A/C generally going 60mph on back roads. That's about the best ever. We've got an 05 Base auto with about 19K mi. Just broken in. Great mpg and couldn't come at a better time.
  • jay39jay39 Member Posts: 2
    the sticker for the 2007 Pontiac Vibe shows mpg as city 17 and highway 25. The 2006 is shown much higher, anyone know what that is about. Is the 2007 really giving lower mpg?
  • patvizinapatvizina Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I am choosing between these three cars, and am quite confused. I am told by both the pontiac and toyota dealer that the 2006 vibe was built by TOYOTA. However, when I look at the crash ratings posted in Edmunds, they show different crash ratings.
    I am quoted 36 city and 38 highway by both the dealers and my girlfriend who has the automatic transmission 2005 with 6 cd player. Any light on the fuzz? :confuse:

Anyone else compare the 3 and know more? How about others actual mileage on the 2006 vs. 2007?
  • nanc3nanc3 Member Posts: 8
    I think the 2007 online stickers are a mistake and I have notified the Pontiac web site people via an online feedback form. C'mon, Pontiac, if you want to sell cars you gotta pay attention!

As to real world mpg, I have a 2006 base Vibe with auto transmission (the way probably 95+% of 2007 models will be equipped). I have never gotten less than 25 mpg around town. At 65-75 mph on the highway I get in the low 30s, but I have only taken a handful of 2-3 hours trips, nothing longer.
  • patvizinapatvizina Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info. THe Vibe salesperson tells me they will get 33 to 36 on the highway.
    the ratings on the 06 on the lot is 28 and 33.
    I'm disappointed to hear 25.. :cry:
  • jstant01jstant01 Member Posts: 65
    The Vibe is not BUILT by Toyota, but it is basically engineered by them. It has a Toyota engine, transmission, and most of its other parts, but the styling was done by GM. In my 2005 base, the radio is also GM (Delco). Other than that, it's a Toyota.

However, it is built in the US at a plant in California that also builds Corollas and Tacoma pickups. It's twin, the Matrix, is built in Canada.

I'm not sure why the crash ratings would differ, but it may have to due with whether one test sample had side airbags or not. You might want to check on that. Obviously, cars with with side airbags do better in the crash tests.

As for mileage - I can almost GUARANTEE you will get above 30mpg in both city and highway driving, unless something is out of whack with your vehicle. The Vibe has the best gas mileage of any "GM" vehicle. I've never done worse than about 33-35mpg (I have a stick shift) in all my driving situations.
  • cmortoncmorton Member Posts: 15
    :) I have had an 04 Vibe since 8/04. I have averaged a combined 26.6 mpg and gone as high as 35 mpg on a road trip. The Vibe is built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA. Re the crash ratings, the Vibe went from a 5 star drivers side rating in 04 to a 3 star on for the 05 model. Go figure. As far as I know the IIHS has never tested the Vibe for offset or side crashworthiness.
  • nanc3nanc3 Member Posts: 8
    25 is the worst I've done. That was city driving with lots of full blast AC because it was really hot here this summer.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I purchased my base Vibe with automatic on April 1, 2003. It now has about 35,000 miles on it (mostly city). The longest highway trip I have taken with it was about 200 miles one way. (I have a luxury car for the many "road trips" I take.) It consistently gets 28 mpg in the city, and about 34 on the highway, which pretty much matches the epa numbers on the label.
    you must be looking at a GT sticker.
  • j2mj2m Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2003 Vibe (automatic) since Jan 2003. It has ~57,000 miles on it, and my work puts me in it many hours per day. I have never gotten less than 26mpg around town or 35 mpg highway. When I drive moderately, I get ~29 mpg (mixed around town/ highway) and 39 mpg highway only. **Note here best highway mileage is obtained by following the old rule: "Keep the RPM's around 2500!" That gives you about 60-65 mph in an automatic. Great car, my wife wants one too!
  • quoala63quoala63 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 AWD Vibe I bought (it had 19,000 miles)used in May 05. For the first 4 months or so I was getting great fuel mileage, it was as high as 35mpg on a 7 hour trip. Than the mileage dropped off from getting on average 27-29 around town and 30-34 highway to 24-26 around town and 28-30 highway. I had 2 different garages put it on the computer, they both found nothing. Does anyone have any suggestion on what may be causing this. I do all the routine maintenance on. I do live in PA and most garages don't want to hear fuel mileage issues here.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Two suggestions: (1) A brake is not fully disengaged. First check the parking brake to see that it fully releases.Check the cable from the brake handle all the way back to the connection with the rear wheel assemblies. The cable accumulates a lot of dirt and may stick. If the parking brake is free and clean then one of the hydraulic brakes may not be fully retracting.
    (2) The thermostat may be stuck open or partially open, not allowing the engine to fully warm up to normal operating temperature. The computer has the injectors shooting in more gasoline than normal because it detects the engine as being "cold".
    We just took another trip to northern Wisconsin. 6 hr drive about half on 2 lane roads. Still got 37 mpg and that was while gunning it pretty good to pass. At about 25K mi this car is running better than ever. In fact I just got the oil changed at 5K mi interval and the oil was as clean as when it was new. Amazing. Great car.
  • cs1992cs1992 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '06 base model with AT and have averaged 31mpg since I bought it. I have not been on any lengthy highway trips, but the 31mpg is based on 65% city / 35% hwy. EPA mileage estimate is 29/34.
  • mmuehlbammuehlba Member Posts: 1
    hi All well I have a 2006 Vibe and it started at 31 mpg and now it is down to 21 mpg , I took it in and they said every thing is OK and I should be glad as it is winter and then asked if I had my tires at 33 pis and yes I did even though it rides like a wash board on rollar skates then . Any Ideas of any thing HELP as my old windstar got that with 180,000 on it There is only 5,000 miles on my Vibe but it smells like rotten eggs also . Mike
  • k2qok2qo Member Posts: 10
    Hi Gang,

FWIW, my vibe returns 28 MPG summer and 26 MPG winter. It is AWD AT and the EPA sticker reads 26/31. For winter, I use Semperit Ice Grip tires. As far as city/hwy mix, I'd say it's 70/30.
    I just traded my 2003 Vibe (39,000 miles) for a 2007 Vibe w/automatic. I can assure you the sticker says 29/34 for city/highway.
  • txnohandsamtxnohandsam Member Posts: 1
    I own an 04 vibe auto with 70k miles. Driving is around 75% 2lane to highway miles and 25% in town. Great car with very good gas mileage.
  • bognvlybognvly Member Posts: 4
    I have an '06 AT Vibe with 16,000 plus miles. I average 34 mpg weekly (70 miles daily back and forth to work). Heavy stop and go will give me 29+ and long highway trips will bring 39 and better. I track every tankful and note where I buy my gas. There is also a website for fuel economy which helps record keeping, driving tips, and let's you know how you're doing compared to others.
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Make sure the tires are at normal pressure (I keep mine at about 36 psi) make sure the air filter is clean. Get the wheels off the ground and make sure they all turn freely. And if you're really adventurous, gently clean off the MAF sensor.
    Also make sure the temp gauge is reading very close to the middle: a thermostat that opens to soon will kill your gas mileage AND wear out your piston rings AND let gas get into the oil which will kill the rest of the engine.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We recently bought an '04 Vibe as an around town runabout, dog and grocery hauler. So far on my first 3 tanks of gas I have gotten 28, 25, and 26 mpg, pretty much as advertised. This is all in town driving, no highway. The wagon it replaced was lucky to get 20 mpg around town so it has been a good choice so far.

This is the base Vibe, automatic.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • eilroseilros Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2004 Base Auto that I bought in August 2005. I've been tracking my mileage since 4/16/06 and have averaged 28.05 mpg. During that time I drove 16080.5 miles and used 573.351 gallons of gas.
  • vibe05vibe05 Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping you're still around to elaborate on your post. I have a 2005 vibe, auto, less than 10k on it. When I bought it, it was great. Seemed like I never had to put gas in it. After maybe the 4th tank that all changed. I know I was getting 34 highway, and maybe 28-30 city. Now I get 20-21 mpg city. I also got that rotten-egg smell from the a/c some mentioned. I did take it in for service. They dismissed everything except for fumigating the a/c. everything with specifications I was told. Now I hear a brake noise, front passenger side. Started with a severe grinding backing out of the driveway after a rain storm. The grinding stopped after 100ft or so. But now there is a noise that sounds like woooooooooooo when i apply the brakes. Took it in. They told me they heard nothing and found nothing. I asked for someone to drive with me and, ofcourse, they heard it then. The shop foreman looked at the tire and said it was tire wear causing tire noise. I don't believe this to be the case and will rotate the tires and show them the noise does not move with the tire in another place. I believe maybe the brake is rubbing somehow and wanted to know how freely the tires should move when off the ground. Should I lift both front at the same time or individual? Any help would be appreciated, thank you
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    "Started with a severe grinding backing out of the driveway after a rain storm. The grinding stopped after 100ft or so. But now there is a noise that sounds like woooooooooooo when i apply the brakes. Took it in. They told me they heard nothing and found nothing. I asked for someone to drive with me and, ofcourse, they heard it then. The shop foreman looked at the tire and said it was tire wear causing tire noise."

Replace the caliper and rotor and pads. A wraped rotor or a sticking caliper will cause a pulsating sound when the brakes are applied. A sticking caliper can cause the rotor to get red hot, which may be the cause of the smell. If it doesn't smell when you drive two blocks to the store but smells when you are driving on the highway then a sticking caliper is likely the culprit. IMHO you also need to find a new mechanic.
  • deanster1deanster1 Member Posts: 1
    I been getting poor gas mileage on 03 vibe 48000 miles on the car 20mpg Ive done some repairs changed air filter K&N mobil1 oil tranny fluid car threw a code said either fuel injectors or o2sensors so i took a shot and changed o2 front and rear ,code did not come back on but car still getting poor gas mileage, if you have any adivice i;m listening also did front rotors brake pads an front tires .whats an maf sensor . next is plugs then off to the dealer
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    Maf stands for "Mass Air Flow," and is critical to the combustion mixture, (possibly along with the "Air Intake Temp" sensor if this car is so configured). But I wouldn't replace either sensor willy nilly. If the sensor/s is/are malfunctioning you should have an appropriate error code in one of the status registers of the car's computer. I would see a vibe mechanic before replacing those. Those two sensors talk to the computer, which then adjusts the fuel/air mixture. It follows that if they are out of order you might well be running way too rich or too lean and your gas mileage will suffer accordingly, along with smooth running and power availability.
  • vstarrider1100vstarrider1100 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a new 07 Vibe in August and now with 7600 miles on it have been getting an avg of 15 - 17 mpg city 26 highway with one trip taken from Salt Lake City to Modesto, CA around the first of December. Prior to the road trip and the first oil change was getting 33 - 34 mpg highway, 28 - 29 city. Has anyone heard of this severe of a mpg drop in a vehicle with less than 10k miles?
  • zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    You have an almost new vehicle still under warranty. Go to the dealer (or at least get it checked by a reliable Vibe mechanic) quickly when you observe such a radical change. It's hollering at you to do something.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    25K miles and gets mid 30s highway with no effort. Have seen 38 a few times.
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    I wrote that I'd gotten 40 mpg on a long road trip. Well, that was nice but since then I've been getting 26-29 mpg. (4000 miles since bought in August).

Question: I've noticed that when I initially go in reverse (rolling backwards out of driveway)--as I shift into 1st there's a single clunk sound that I hear from the back. That's it--just one clunk. I will bring this up at 5000 mile check-up--but any thoughts from anyone.

I've been thrilled with the car so far. I had the alignment done at 1500 and the pulling to the left is pretty much over--thanks to those of you who said to take care of it immediately. I did.

Also, has anyone installed an MP3 jack into the stereo system? I'd rather have that then a plug in but I'm not sure it's do-able or worth it...
  • maverick13maverick13 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 07 vibe new a left over. I got a great deal sticker was 19,380. I got it out the door 16,367. I only have 1000 miles on it mostly highway driving. I only get 30.7. The dealer said, that it will take 1500 to 2000 miles before I see better mpg. Can anyone verify that statement. My experience is that if I get 30.7 now I'll still get 30.7 1500 miles. I hope someone can shed some good news for me. I drive 300 mi a week. I bought the car strickly for mpg. Waiting to hear from anyone.
  • repoman1repoman1 Member Posts: 64
    868 miles on my 2009 Vibe, 2.4l, automatic, 90% highway driving, most at 70-75MPH, just started to use the air conditioning the past week so most was with AC not running. Average to date: 30.65 MPG
    Our 05 generally gets around 35 mpg on the highway but we never use any sort of ethanol blend. Strictly real gas. That may have something to do with your lesser mpg. City mpg is usually around 27-29. Staying near the speed limit helps a lot, too.
  • dhammittdhammitt Member Posts: 1
    About the cluncking when you go in reverse. Check if your exhaust wiggles, it may be a loose muffler clamp. My Olds had that issue right after I bought it and my father in law fixed it quickly and easily for free.
    Good luck!
  • cyclebcycleb Member Posts: 1
    New, off the lot, I got 36.7 on a 90%highway run. Regularly averaging 32.5+ to and from work in a very hilly area, about 20% or less highway. This is an '08 auto.
  • zapeeezapeee Member Posts: 1
    maverick-

Although things seem to have changed a little recently, not too long ago one would expect their compression to rise through the first 10,000 miles of operation. oil use may be high initially. i purchased a new truck in 1988 that burned a quart of oil in the first 500 miles, but pretty quickly settled into normal useage. if you have been driving the vehicle mildly (low rpms, low throttle, proper warmup) you would expect break-in to take a little longer, and in the end, your engine would be better for it.
    I am aware that many now beive to break in hard (VERY HARD), and this doesnt cause the problems you would expect because nowadays there is an initial break-in at the factory. i am happy to report that mild break-ins have kept the engines in my 05 GTO, 99 Yamaha R-1, and the 7.4 litre in my yukon quiet and trouble-free.
    on the other hand, 30.7 is pretty good, so i wouldnt expect it to get much better.

enjoy your car- my big-blocks are keeping me off the road!!!
  • moparornocar08moparornocar08 Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know how many rpms a manual transmission Vibe turns as opposed to one with an automatic at 60? I just bought a fully loaded one with about 18000 miles on it, but it's not getting the mileage I was hoping it would. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject?
  • digencydigency Member Posts: 1
    Does the 2009 Vibe have a average/instant MPG display? If not how do you guys get your average MPG?
  • gary_ggary_g Member Posts: 13
    "If not how do you guys get your average MPG? "

Re-set the trip meter after each fill-up. Fill the gas tank up to the very top each time.

Divide the miles driven (from the trip meter before you re-set it) by the gallons shown on the gas tank.

MPG = miles driven / # of gallons used.
    "Does anybody know how many rpms a manual transmission Vibe turns as opposed to one with an automatic at 60?"

At 70 mph, my new '08 Vibe w/manual transmission runs at less than 3000 rpm, guessing 2800 rpm. I'll check 60 mph and post back.

I averaged 35.85 mpg first time I calculated gas mileage. It was all highway driving, no more than 70 mph.
    "Does anybody know how many rpms a manual transmission Vibe turns as opposed to one with an automatic at 60?"

At 60 mph, my 1.8L manual Vibe turns at about 2300 - 2400 rpm.
    Based on the last few fill-ups, I have gotten 35.85, 36.18, and 37.4 mpg. Mostly highway driving at 70 mph max speed. 1.8 liter engine.
  • trikkonceptztrikkonceptz Member Posts: 1
    Once Gas started climbing I began to evaluate how I drove my Vibe. I am incredibly pleased as to how the VVt-i adjusts in order to meet a more economy based driving style. I commute 120 miles a day for work and keep strictly to the spped limits posted and last week the Vibe yielded its highest tank with 41.3mpg, this tank, which was filled right after an oil change to synthetic will likely yield higher numbers .. I'm loving this car ... :shades:
  • kasjunkasjun Member Posts: 4
    since we got our vibe in april we have checked mileage with about every fill-up. to date we have gotten anywhere from 23.6 to 28.5 with most about 24-25mpg. i was expecting a little better than that but it is about in line with the sticker estimates of 20 city and 26 highway. in my opinion they need the 5-speed transmission in the awd because at 70 mph the rpm's are over 3 grand which tells me it needs another gear to reduce rpm and gas consumption. the motor we have is the 2.4 liter and it handles the car very well. perhaps pontiac has a reason for using the 4-speed auto. but there has to be a better option for a transmission. i might note that our mileage range of 23.6 to 28.5 were on the same trip. we got 28.5 with the wind and when we came home into the wind we got 23.6. all highway miles.