Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• achuffachuff Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an 03' Disco "S" about 15 months ago with 9K miles and it now has about 29K miles. At that time I picked it up for $27K and all I can tell you is that it's the most enjoyable truck/car/suv I've ever had.
    The best part of the 03' Disco is that you get the same engine as the 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. The 03-04 Disco is also the best two years for that model ever.
    My fiance just purchased a 2002 RR HSE last week with 25K miles and it's too early to really compare b/c right now I'm obsessed with driving hers.
    There's no doubt that the RR is more luxury and the Disco "S" is more sport (even though the RR is more than capable of sport).
    If I were you, I'd take the 03' Disco with less miles and two more years of engineering evolution to benefit from over the 01' RR
    Good luck! You'll be happy with either one I'm sure!
  • rirover1rirover1 Member Posts: 2
    Last year I purchased a 00 Disco II with high miles. It looks great and runs great until a few months ago. So far I have had a new transmisison, radiator, rocker shafter, head gasket, a few leaking hoses along with various gaskets all replaced. Lucky for me all of this was covered under warranty. This truck has been very well maintained has always had oil changed and every service performed. I am at 95K and my warranty will be running out in 5K miles. I love this truck and hope in runs for another 100K, but I am concerned that I may continue to have more problems. Any words of advice - is this unusual and do the discos typically go to 200K? Thanks for any advice you may have.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Are you certain the oil changes and services were performed before you bought it? That is the second Disco I have ever heard of that needed a transmission replaced. Losing a rocker shaft sounds like low oil level (and hence pressure) or extremely long time between changes, and high wear in that area.

A bad radiator would come from not changing the fluid, with a resulting bad head gasket from overheating.

My gut feeling is, this truck was seriously neglected. The work you've done should keep it on the road for as long as you care to own it. Mine is at 98k miles now, uses NO oil, and drives like new. That's what you can expect.

Change all fluids religiously! "Oil is cheaper than metal."
  • rirover1rirover1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for writing back, I purchased the truck from a family member who is obsessed with maintaining their vehicles; also the rover dealership certified that all services and oil changes had been done. It's running great now so I am hoping this will continue. For the past few years synthetic oil has been put in it as well.
    Boy is that bizarre. I'm sure sorry to hear of the problems!

I use synthetic motor oil in winter only, because it comes in 0-50w and I need it that thin for starting on campouts at -30F. Otherwise I use Castrol GTX 10-40w and it's never let me down. I use Purolator Premium, Napa Gold or WIX filters... there are a few filters I avoid like the plague. Do some research on that. I use synth lubes for the diffs and swivels and xfer box, and dino-lube ATF for the transmission.
  • patbritpatbrit Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 used Disco II a year ago and keep having trouble with the Service Engine Light. When I accelerate onto our section of the highway, which also incidentally goes uphill, the revs go up to nearly 5 and the light goes on. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, and I'm about to take it in again for the same problem!! Any ideas?? I've been trying to sell the thing because I'm a poor teacher and afraid my life savings will go on maintaining this car!!
    Holy smokes... I don't think I've ever seen 5k rpms on my Disco, and I drive it hard. I wonder if that means the cat is plugging up, or the mass airflow sensor is weak or an O2 sensor? You're passing a TON of air/fuel thru the engine at that throttle and rpm setting... it's got to be running awfully sharp to not register an engine complaint. How's the air filter? Fuel filter? It could be starving for air or fuel. Maybe the fuel pump is weak?

You might solve the problem by just letting up on the gas a little........
  • miked03miked03 Member Posts: 21
    The check engine light on my `03 disco came up with code number 97. The servicing dealer never heard of it and neither did LR engineering, so they cleared it. Vehicle has been running fine, but if anyone knows what this code is, please respond.
  • maggiemaywolfmaggiemaywolf Member Posts: 5
    i read the above problems and I too have had many problems- back door being stuck, back door falling off , windows not opening or falling right down into the door ,key getting frozen in the gas tank lock and bending , not being able to open the gas lock in the winter , tie rods breaking ,all of them twice in four years . the list goes on, but my biggest problem was last week being stuck in park my freind came out and removed the lock so I could not only get out of park but never be stuck in park again the only thing is I now don't have any lights or blinkers, I bought a new brake light switch and installed it still no lights. I put new fuses in had blinkers until I pressed the brakes then no blinkers any suggestions I love this truck althought I have not had much luck with it. please help
    the same thing happen to me maybe if we compare it would help I had a freind remove the lock aparently when i was putting my foot on the brake it was not registering so it would not let the gear move. a safety feature that is in most vehicles . Anyway he removed the lock I then had no problem getting out of park and driving but now have no brake lights or blinkers . I bought a new brake light switch and put it in still no lights or blinkers I bought a new fuse put it in had blinkers until i tried putting my foot on the brakes to get brake lights obviously something is shorting out sound familliar? Have you gotten further than me with this if so let me know missy
    forgot to mention I drive a landrover discovery 96 . it is the best 4x4 truck you can have....
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    The back door fell off???
    yes the back door fell off right onto my 12 year old daughter i guess the bottom hinge was quite rusty on the door and it just fell off, I've also had a tire come off while I was driving ,that was the fault of the mechanic who had done the brakes 5 days earlier.who wanted 510.00 dollars to fix it when I called him, I ended up paying140.00. I love this land rover no one who doesn't drive one does'nt understand why. But when it works it works well. After reading thru messages on this board. I know see that my problem with being stuck in park was actually my breaklights being burnt out and causing a short weird still trying to fix it . I read also I have to use landrover bulbs that normal or generic won't work is this true anyone kow? There was GE 1057 12volt and 21watts it this what i should get or wait and order them on mon from a landrover dealer who will ship them to me any input?
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    We just returned from 2,700 mile fishing trip from Denver to Southwestern Montana. Do this just about every year. This time we towed our new 19 foot Trail-Lite Cruiser. It weighs about 4,000 lbs. running weight, and has a pretty normal RV trailer frontal cross-section, as far as wind resistance goes.

Mileage while trailing was from 10.5 to 11.5 mpg, depending on wind, and whether or not we were going over mountain passes. Under favorable conditions (no strong headwind and no significant upward grade), we could reach 70 mph. We traveled mostly at 55-60, however.

When climbing grades, or going into headwinds, the Disco usually wanted to be in 3rd gear. At about 55 mph I think the engine was running at about 3,000 rpm. When climbing the big "hill" coming into Yellowstone from the north entrance, the Disco had to go down to 2nd gear, at about 35 mph, and that was around 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. I think that "hill" is something over 10,000 feet high.

Same thing coming through the pass on Route 14 going into the Poudre River valley from Walden down to Fort Collins. The Continental Divide is well over 10,000 feet here, and we made it with no problems, albeit having to downshift to 2nd gear near the top of the hill.

Some time back I asked the forum if anyone had experience pulling trailers with the Disco. I can now answer that question by saying, "Keep your load under the limit for the Disco (5,500 lbs. in high gear), and it should be able to do it. Because we live and drive at higher altitudes, trailer dealers recommend that we reduce stated towing capacity by 20%. This reduces the Disco tow capacity in high gear to a nominal 4,400 lbs. We were about 400 lbs. under that. I also had no problems with sway from the trailer, a concern for such a short wheelbase tow vehicle, even in the very strong winds that are a constant in Wyoming.

If worse had come to worse, I could have shifted into low, and then I think there would be no question that I could have gone over Berthoud Pass or Independence Pass, should I have been crazy enough to want to do so. They are up around 12,000 feet. Did I mention that I am afraid of heights?

We also had our first glitch with the Disco. A week or so before our trip the Service Engine Soon light came on. Land Rover Denver East quickly diagnosed the problem as having to do with a vacuum hose, which they replaced in about 15 minutes. No problems since. You just can't do better than Land Rover Denver East. Super sales people and super service people.

While we were puffing up some of the steep grades, we would watch the F250's and Silverado 2500's pass us with ease, towing 5th wheel trailers easily two to three times the size and weight of ours. Were we envious? I guess so, but we have a Disco, and they don't!

Additionally, we took both back seats out before the trip. Easy to do with a #55 torx. Gave us much more room back there, and lightened the load. Those high quality back seats are heavy. These are the second row seats, not the third row jump seats, which we do not have.

Anyone looking for a used Land Rover Disco would be hard pressed to find a better truck than the '03 or '04, with the bigger engine. They are one tough truck.

Pete.
  • unit42ffdunit42ffd Member Posts: 1
    My radio makes a constant whine when on while driveing and when you change stations you hear a loud bang from the rear spaekers. someone removed the cd changer I don't know if they removed a ground someplace or if my radio is on the way out. It's the harmon kardon sound system. Anybody ever had this problem before
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    My radio also pops when turned on. The dealer said it was a faulty subwoofer in the Harmon Kardon system, but did not go away when they replaced with a new subwoofer. I just live with it since I'm past warranty coverage. :(
  • jaborandijaborandi Member Posts: 1
    Hi- Today my '96 Land Rover wouldn't get out of park, either. Over the last few weeks, I noticed that it occasionally was stiff shifting out of park. Did this same thing happen to you with the stiffness in shifting? Could you tell me more about the lock that was removed? Where is it located, and is there an official name for the part? Maybe I could have the lock replaced, not just removed? I need to bring it to a mechanic ASAP and want to be as informed as possible - everyone is afraid to work on Rovers!

I replaced the brake light switch about 1.5 years back, but I don't think this is a brake light problem this time just 'cause i don't remember the shifting difficulty last time.

thanks for any advice, help or details :)
    sara
    hi sara, I don't think we have the same problem, my shifter was not stiff. My ordeal started with a burnt out brake light, If you go back to post 463 you will see a guy had washed his truck and got water in his trailer wiring, which in turn burnt out his brake fuse and in turn his brake light switch. I I of course read this post about a week after this happened and had already bought new fuses and a new brake light switch, still no lights or blinkers. I finally broke down and took the jumper seats out of the landrover to get into the tailights a hard job to do if your 6 ft tall. Anyway found the boken bulb but also found that the signal switch connector was really corroded, so I just ordered the bulbs and the signal wiring harness this hopefully will work. If you also notice after 1996 landrover moved their tailights up a foot on the vehicle. I think they figured this out too. I know I am foverever bumping into snowbanks in the winter where I live so it was only make sense that the wires get all wet in there. Anyway as you can tell I am not a mechanical whiz I am a girl that owns a landrover and is tired of mechanics ripping me off. There's only one mechanic that works on landrover in my area and I think he wanted to retire off of me. There is a guy on this site named nanuq (I hope I got that right) ask him , I've read back thru all the posts because no one answered me and he seems really smart . Other than that good luck. missy
  • ggusheeggushee Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for you help! I called the dealer this morning and mentioned the intake hose from the air cleaner. I purchased this 01 Discovery about 40 days ago. The whining noise is so loud and constant that I have to turn up the radio. I returned the vehicle within 24 hours of purchase and the service department told me that the whining noise was from the ACE pump. But everyone I have talked to outside the dealership have told me the ACE pump noise is only when going around corners or driving in the hills. My whining noise is exactly as you have described and when I returned the vehicle to the dealership I used your exact wording. That was 3 weeks ago. So after seeing your email today, I called the dealer back and have schedule the hoses to be looked at on August 2nd. Wish me luck! I too would like to be able to say "....Couldn't enjoy it more.....". Thanks, Gordon
  • fitz4fitz4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Discovery with a small problem. I have only one fan speed. To get it, I have to jiggle the fan speed switch to get the fan to run, then jam a piece of paper under it to get the fan to stay on. I think the radio needs to come out to get at the switch. Does anyone know how to remove the radio?
    I am taking the Discovery back to the dealer again to look at the hoses as you mentioned. But, if they run a computer DIAGNOSTICS TEST on the vehicle, wouldn't this advise them that a hose has a leak????? Please advise.......soonest.......Gordon
    I too have a 2001 Discovery SE which I purchased a month ago. The whining is so loud that I have to turn up the radio. My SE starts whining as soon as I turn it on and increases in loudnest as I accelerate. I have taken the vehicle back to the dealership twice in a month and they continue to tell me it is normal sounds, yet other SE owners say "NO". what to do......I first thought my whining was from a leaky hose.....it sounds more like a vaccuum sound than a whining, but either way it is so annoying and each time someone travels with me they ask about the annoying sound.

Do you have any further news.

Gordon

ggushee@earthlink.net
  • andrealandreal Member Posts: 4
    We are original owners of a 96' SE7 disco :) At 83k we had new brake pads & routers installed by a mechanic we've used in the past. Since this job our disco has a loud thumping noise coming from the front right wheel and only appears during accelration and tends to cease above 70mph & during braking. We've taken it back 3xs and still can't get rid of this noise. He replaced the rotor the 1st job, said the brake shoe didn't fit right the 2nd job and by the 3rd job told me to go to a LR dealer. I called LR and they told me it is becasue we didn't use OEM brake shoes? Does anyone have any suggestions before it does go to the LR dealer on 7/25. I don't want to fork over a ton of money and this not be the fix.
    I have this same problem on my 96' Disc, can you tell me where I can find the drain so I can unplug it?

Thanks,
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Fitz
    Sounds like you need a new fan switch. To get the radio out you need to get the tool from your Dealer that fits in the two holes on the left/right side of the radio. Then they unscrew and the radio will come right out. Make sure you have the radio code, because you will need it if you unplug the radio to get at the switch.
    Have them check the transmission lock switch on the brake pedal. In order for Your LR to come out of Park, you must have the brake on. If there is something wrong with this switch, the lock will never come off. Either that or it is the Alarm circuitry, and it isn't registering that the truck is being started with a key, so in essence it thinks it is being jacked. Tell them to check the MFS (multi-function switch) I had that go bad on my 96 and it caused all kinds of neat problems. Not too expensive to repair.
    Hey Bob,

I think you have given me peace of mind. I just purchased a 2001 Discovery SE and it whines constantly, except for when I go down hill. And yes, it seems to make the whining noise whenever the accelerator is pushed either starting up in the garage or up a hill or even from a starting position. I have taken the vehicle back to the dealer twice and instead of them telling me that it is the transfer case, they tell me the noise I hear is the ACE Pump??? Why not just tell me THE TRUTH. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent the last three weeks learning info from you on this forum and other Land Rover Forums. I am taking the vehicle back again on the 2nd of August because I thought there was a larger problem - but you are saying "get use to it"......its just the transfer noise for reasons you mentioned.

Thanks,

Gordon Gushee
    Los Angeles, CA
    ggushee@earthlink.net
  • nhdisconhdisco Member Posts: 3
    I recently had new rotors and pads done on my 96 Disco. When I drove it home I noticed a noise coming from the LF wheel. It too stopped when braking and at higher speeds. To cut to the chase, when I went back to my mechanic, we found that the space in the caliper where the pad fits in had elongated due to rust. when they replaced the pads, they cleaned up the rust and scaling there by making the slot where the pad fits to large.
    The fix??
    My mechanic removed the pads, and using a wire feed welder, welded a bead onto the pads of the metal backing of the pads. He then ground them down until they fit properly. No more noise!!!
    I hope yours is as simple as this was.
    Oh, by the way, my mechanic performed the fix in about 15 minutes at NO CHARGE!! He said that he should have noticed it while doing the job. treated him and the rest of the crew to lunch the next day.

Good luck!!

Ben
    Ben,

Thanks for the insight into the noise, I am going to ask my mechanic who did the original job if he can fix it using your example.

Thanks again, Andrea
    I called LRNA this morning and raised my concerns. They advised me that the Discovery should NOT be making a whining noise upon start-up and whining continuously. They are making notes and have asked me to follow-up with them after my service with Land Rover Encino on August 2. I told them my difficulty is the fact the Land Rover Encino is extremely busy as it is the largest Land Rover dealer in Los Angeles. And perhaps they just don't have the time. They also advised that I should request a techncian to ride with me so that I can properly explain the sounds I need to have clarified.

I will keep all advised.

Gordon
  • patbrit7patbrit7 Member Posts: 1
    The back door of my 2001 Disco stays locked when the rest of the vehicle is unlocked. This just started happening. If we manually unlock it from the inside and then lock the car with the remote, the back door stays unlocked unless we manually lock it from the inside. What's going on?
  • chris32chris32 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 Discover II. The mileage is close to 30,000, which calls for the scheduled maintenance to be performed in order to maintain the warranty. Because it is so expensive to have the work done at the dealership I am having the mechanic that I have used for years to do the work at a fraction of the price. However, one thing that the owner's manual calls for is to use Land Rover Fuel System Conditioner at each oil change. I bought the treatment, used it this morning when I filled up and one mile down the road my Service Engine Light came on. Is this just a coincidence, or may it really have something to do with the fuel treatment or the fact that the engine is close to 30,000 miles? Also, once the mechanic that I am using performs the tune up, is he able to reset the computer, or will that have to be done at the dealership?
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    All I have to say is that "I am glad I was in my Disco (01 SE7)" when I was rear-ended yesterday. It was a hard hit, the driver behind didn't even bother slamming on his brake when I came to a hard stop on the highway due to traffic congestion. Both my kids were in the Disco ( a 6 mnth old and a 3 yr old) My 3 yr old didn't even wake up from his nap when I got rear ended. I never carry adults in the 3rd row, but this day I had no choice and my mother-in-law was in the third row seat (with the head rest in place). The good news is that nobody was hurt and the Disco sustained no damage at all. The other car (honda accord) on the other hand, was damaged beyond repair. The front hood buckled up and was crunched in almost all the way to the cabin, the radiator was destroyed, and the engine was steaming. The damage was unreal, I could not believe my Disco came out of the wreckage unscathed. I felt really bad for the guy who rear-ended me, but at the same time I had this awesome feeling of owning such a well built vehicle. After taking a closer look at my Disco I noticed a white paint mark (about an inch in length) on my bumber and a lot of white paint under the hitch/tow A-frame. I've been rear ended a few times before, but this one definately proves that I have purchased the right vehicle. What kind of damage do you think a GM would have sustained?

On another note-

I too have recently experienced the same thing with my back door. I have to climb in and unlock it from the inside. I have a service scheduled with my dealer next week to reslove the problem - I will post if I find out why this happens??

Odiopus
  • flexxx71flexxx71 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Rover folks

I think I have electrical problems. I get the clicking sound and all the lights around the speedometer light up (check engine, SRS, tow hitch) all of them. It just clicks on and off but you can still drive. Anyone experience this?

flex71
  • magelmagel Member Posts: 1
    My laese is terminating and I can buy my car for 11700, do you think it is too risky on a Discovery w/70000 Miles?
    Please Help.
    Bob

Have you ever heard of this one? Yesterday the tachometer just decided it wasn't going to stay put. I mean if you are going 70 the tach will fluctuate wildly between about 1000-3000 RPM. The engine runs as smooth as ever, and there are no other problems except for the needle jumping all over the place. I crawled undrneath and looked to see if there was a loose wire, but couldn't find anything wrong. Not sure if I have the right wires though. Where is the RPM sender unit?

Charlie
  • brulee0337brulee0337 Member Posts: 2
    I JUST BOUGHT A DISCO OFF THE INTERNET AND AM WONDERING A FEW THINGS 1.SELLER SAID IT HAD ACE BUT I SAW IN THE MANUAL THAT THE ACE FILLER CAP IS ON THE SAME RESEVOIR AS THE POWER STEERING FILLER CAP BUT ITS NOT THERE AND IVE ALSO READ THAT THE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE INCLUDED 18" RIMS DONT HAVE THOSE EITHER SO IM WONDERING IF THERE IS AN EASY WAY TO TELL WETHER OR NOT IVE GOT ACE OR IF IVE BEEN HAD 2.I ALSO NEED TO DO A FRONT BRAKE JOB NEED NEW ROTORS AND PADS IS THAT AN EASY JOB ON DISCOVERYS AND ARE THERE ANY INEXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVES TO DEALER COSTS 3. I ALSO NEED TO REPLACE SERPENTINE BELT IS THAT FAIRLY EASY THE DISCO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE READY TO GO THATS WHAT THE DEALER SAID HA NOW I CANT EVEN GET IT TO PASS INSPECTION AND AFTER SPENDING ALOT TIME AND MONEY GOING TO GET IT BUT THE DEALER SAID IT HAD ACE SO IF IT DOESNT IM GOING TO TRY AND GET MY MONEY BACK FROM HIM AND BUY A DISCO FROM A PROUD OWNER I APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR HELP ANYBODY MIGHT BE WILLING TO OFFER THANKS :sick:
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    First of all, please do not type in all caps; difficult to read and generally thought of as "yelling" on message boards.

Not sure about ACE package but changing the brake pads on a Discovery is easy. Buy soft pads; much less expensive than rotors. See the link below.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/disco2brakes/

Never changed my Disco's serpentine belt but have changed the belt on other vehicles and most are fairly easy to do.

Good luck!
    :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages written in ALL CAPS. An occasional paragraph break also helps improve readability.

tidester, host
  • brulee0337brulee0337 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advice it is appreciated and very informative . Sorry about the caps don't use computer a whole lot .
  • turbo44turbo44 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2000 Disco II and the guy I bought it from didn't have an owner's manual, and I'm wondering what things I should be doing to keep this truck clean. My wife just drove it up from Chicago to Anchorage and used the lowest grade gas available, do I need to take it in to a shop and have them adjust the timing, and then switch to premium? What other things can I do to make sure it runs well? Also, I'm new to Anchorage, AK, if anyone knows of any good hills to climb I'd appreciate it.
  • hansen15hansen15 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 2000 Discovery II a couple months ago and the previous owner sent me 2 owner's manuals. One is for a 1999 Discovery II and the book isn't in the best shape ever, but if you want it I can mail it to you. I think it would be better than not having one at all. Let me know if you want it.
    I want to be able to remove the rear jump seats in my 2000 Discovery II so I can have more cargo room sometimes. Is there an easy way to remove and reinstall the seats?
  • turbo44turbo44 Member Posts: 4
    yes, i would love it. i don't think there were too many drastic changes between the 99 and the 00. how can i contact you?
    You can email me at andynpaige@hotmail.com.
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    I had the same problem on my 99 Disco II SE7, Turns out the climate control unit, when the A/C or Auto Climate Control was on, was causing an electrical interference with the radio unit - had many diagnostic tests to finally find this out. Finally, they used something from Audi to control the surges and to balance out the electrical waves coming from the climate control unit. If you need more, I have the notes from the service papers that I can email you privately.... Try turning the volume down and see if the "Buzz" or "Hum" is coming through your speakers. Also, does the pitch increase with the increase of engine RPMs?
  • abraxas1abraxas1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    I have a 2002 Disco, and though the performance package has 18" wheels not all of them come with it. The spare should match all other tires though. I had to recently change my breaks and rotars. Though I bought my rotars from Land Rover, I got the break pads from Napa. They were still pricy, around $100 for all 4 but that is still about half the cost of LandRover. I have seen rotars online which are cheaper, but only by like $10 and that would probably even out with shipping costs. I did them myself, took me an afternoon but that is better than a few thousand in labor costs that Landrover would charge. Now you could if you have all the parts take it to a brake place, since you have the parts you would only pay labor and it would be cheaper than a Landrover place. You can always go to Landrover.com, they have a customer service line where you can authenticate your Landrover, its original parts, etc. I think you just need the VIN.
  • photodiscophotodisco Member Posts: 17
    I am wondering if anyone can give me some meaningful advise.

I have a wonderful 2001 Disco II (ace) with about 46k miles. So far it has been relatively trouble free except for a leaky gasket that was fixed last month under warranty. Overall the truck has been great and has been trouble free with some minor problems but nothing major. It drives like new.

I have driven the new LR3 and was quite impressed but it did not have the same character as my truck. The dealer was quoting around $52000.00 for an HSE the way i want it and giving me $16000.00 on trade. Although it is nicer i am not sure it is $35000.00 nicer.

That being said i am thinking of keeping this thing for the long haul. I have an opportunity to purchase a land rover extended warranty from my dealer for about $2700.00 for an additional 3 years and 50,000 miles. It will cover the original terms but will not include routine maintence and wear and tear. There is a $100.00 deductible on each occurance. I have a month or 1,000 miles to make up my mind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to scoot over to Extended Warranties for additional insights.

tidester, host
  • smile2winsmile2win Member Posts: 1
    Seeking a non-dealer Chicagoland mechanic for my 1996 Disco SE7. With 90,000miles and an engine knocking it's time to take it in. Dealership will handle, but costs a fortune. Any referrals greatly appreciated.