Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid

Comments

• fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    8 yrs of prius is NOTHING in the automotive industry, and the first 5yrs only sells a dozen thousands at most, as compare to the 16-17mln market. If toyota really care about green, why does it offer hybrid in its new tundra and sequoia? It does not know how to do it! Different companies have different priorities.

To be fair, as I said many times, toyota is far behind in the big vehicle segment, which is more important if you want green. If you want to talk about cars so that it is relevant to the discussion, then do not conclude toyota is overall greener. since it is greener only in the segment with a very small weighting factor because of the tiny small cars. I know this discussion is going nowher, I am stopping here.
  • scortchscortch Member Posts: 41
    GM is far behind period so do not conclude that GM is greener simply because they advertise they are, which we all know they aren't.

Believe it or not, I like GM for the most part. The last 5 of 7 cars (including the E85 capable Impala I have now) has been a GM vehicle.

I just think the E85 and so called Hybrid they trying to push on the public is crap and a scam and just to try and make them look better to people that want to be green and to get credits from the government. Each E85 vehicle they make, they get credits that allow them to slack on MPG in other places.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I just think the E85 and so called Hybrid they trying to push on the public is crap and a scam and just to try and make them look better to people that want to be green and to get credits from the government. Each E85 vehicle they make, they get credits that allow them to slack on MPG in other places.

The blame for that should fall directly onto the Federal Government. The EPA and Congress have put a BIG loophole in the Mileage legislation. I am sure it was a compromise with the Big 3. If you only had to add a couple pieces of stainless tubing to your car and it would qualify as a 30+ MPG Flex Fuel PU truck, why not? I agree that it is totally a scam. Too bad we have so many people running this country on the payroll of the lobbyist.
    Yea, it should fall on the government. Just lobbyist and all looking out for the interest of big business and not the people as usual.

That's what I don't get, how can it qualify for 30+ MPG? Heck, my Impala only gets 17 city and 25 pure highway with E85, much less a truck.

If they did away with the 51 cent subsidy on every gallon of ethanol, then it would not sell at all. I think that is a good thing. They need to do away with it and start using the corn for our food again.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    e85 is a colaborative scam by lobbiests funded by companies such as GM
    shame on the politicians taking the bait and forming bad policy and shame on GM for promoting it.

the person in this forum suggesting GM is doing more for hybrid technology than Toyota is out in left field. He's either employed by GM to push spin or sadly blinded by their marketing hype.

To suggest the Malibu Hybrid is a value based hybrid....lol :lemon:

And the Volt? don't even get me started.
    "the person in this forum suggesting GM is doing more for hybrid technology than Toyota is out in left field. He's either employed by GM to push spin or sadly blinded by their marketing hype."

what about you? you are blinded not seeing the gm two-mode hybrid for big suvs and pick trucks. everything toyota has is real help to the environment, everything GM or other car maker has is scam or cheating or sth. Anybody disagree with you is just GM employee...

I see your logic here.

How many times do I need to repeat? Prius's saving to you may be big, but its impact on environment as compared to the entire auto segments is almost negligible. I give credit to anyone that is pushing the technology in the big suv/pickup segment unless you can convince the customer to abandon this segment, that segment is far bigger than your tiny prius segment. Hard to understand? or you do not want to accept?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's not let this turn personal please.

Thanks!
    No, the Honda Insight isn't a scam.

The scam here is GM's version of the hybrid that's sole purpose is to say look, we have a hybrid too. Ok, yea, we got it wrong but it's still a hybrid, so please buy me instead of a Camry or Accord. I would but not the hybrid version.

Again, not counting the Tahoe, etc. Just the Malibu and Aura. They were trying to counter the Camry and Accord hybrids and failed miserably. They had the technology already there that was used in the Vue, Tahoe, etc. Why on God's green earth did they get so stupid as to put this junk in these cars?
    "The scam here is GM's version of the hybrid that's sole purpose is to say look, we have a hybrid too. Ok, yea, we got it wrong but it's still a hybrid, so please buy me instead of a Camry or Accord. I would but not the hybrid version.

Again, not counting the Tahoe, etc. Just the Malibu and Aura. They were trying to counter the Camry and Accord hybrids and failed miserably. They had the technology already there that was used in the Vue, Tahoe, etc. Why on God's green earth did they get so stupid as to put this junk in these cars? "

The sole purpose you are talking about is your interpretation of what GM is doing. By definition BAS system is a Hybrid. It uses both electric and gas to power a vehicle. whether it yieds 10% or 30% is another issue, it has to asscociate with cost. GM put this BAS system to the market, and did not hide the fact that is yields about 10% fuel economy gain, and carries a 10% price premium. What is wrong with it? You think people will go buy a hybrid just becaue it is called a hybrid and follows whatever company's ad, you underestimate average customer's wisdom. Everything is PRINTED on the paper. GM's hybrid is a low cost option. As to your comment about why GM has the technology on VUE, Tahoe but not on cars? The reason is the same that why toyota does not put Prius technology on Tundra and Sequoia?

The technology for small cars is different from the one for big trucks. Gm does not has the one as competitive as Toyota's offereing for small car, while Toyota does not have ANYTHING for big trucks.

I see our discussion is all about faith, not fact, therefore it is getting nowhere...
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Might I point out again that Toyota technology seems to be working pretty well on the Mariner and Escape SUVs?
    "Might I point out again that Toyota technology seems to be working pretty well on the Mariner and Escape SUVs? "

Sure, might I also point out again that GM technology will be used in BMW, Daimler, Chrysler SUVs?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Actually this week , GM announced that they will introduce the "Two mode" Hybrid for the Chinese version of the SGM Buick Lacrosse for China market. They will be the first to introduce commercial fuel cell vehicle in that market as well. So give them a break: They are just tied up in transferring their automotive know-how to their future Chinese owner (Shanghai Automotive Group).

jt
    "GM will use"

When it comes to hybrids, GM is selling promises when Toyota has produced results in the form of thousands of happy Prius drivers.

to think of the Malibu hybrid as a "value based" hybrid is comical. We shall see how many people buy into that.
    That's just it, GM has been WAY behind the curve and continue to be.

As was said above, the value hybrid is comical and a waste of money on both sides.

Why are they not introducing it here in the U.S. first? WTF cares about China?
    "value hybrid"??? Exactly what does that mean? :confuse:
    "As was said above, the value hybrid is comical and a waste of money on both sides"

You guys are just blindly believe GM is way behind, and interpret everything to prove this belief. GM BAS hybrid wasted your money as well? How? According to your logic, if toyota makes money with Prius, it send you a check? 10% fuel economy gain is very significant especially with a very small price premium. and considered a major technology breakthrough in engine technology. VVT, AFM can only yield less than 5%.

link title

Read this more carefully and do not put your personal interpretation in it. The hybrid GM introducing in China is a BAS system, will introduce two-mode in the future. GM has introduced two-mode in US on saturn VUE and Tahoe/Yukon, volt plug in is due out in 2010, why bother to introduce this two-mode on cars? two-mode is best suited for trucks.
    10% gain is nothing. I can get a 10% gain just from driving differently and using quality fuel.

Major technology breakthrough in engine technology? roflmao, omg, that's the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Again, we are comparing the MALIBU HYBRID TO THE CAMRY AND PRIUS (which is what it competes with, mostly the Camry). Why can't people get that through their thick heads? The Camry, with their REAL hybrid technology, gets 33 city versus 21 city of the standard 2.4. The Malibu with it's FAKE hybrid gets 24 city versus 22 city of the standard 2.4.

The GM version of the hybrid in the MALIBU is total junk. Plain and simple.
    "10% gain is nothing. I can get a 10% gain just from driving differently and using quality fuel. "

Are you in the technology field? Everthing being equal is the rule when you do comparison, 10% gain is on top of what you are talking about. I do not want to repeat this anymore.

"Major technology breakthrough in engine technology? roflmao, omg, that's the funniest thing I have ever heard".

10% fuel economy gain for an IC engine is a major technology breakthrough, I repeat that. This further tells me that you are not in the technology field.

Camry hybrid carrys price tag 3k more than the Malibu. Comparing performance without taking into account cost is just like comparing fuel economy for different vehicles in different segments.

Camry, Malibu
    $25200, 22140
    33/34, 24/32
    avrg 33, 28. this is what you will see in your daily driving.

You tell me, 33 vs. 28 with a 3K price hike make more sense? and makes a day and night difference between camry and malibu? give me a break.
    Yea and like you are in the technology field, lol.

So where are you pulling your numbers from? I think I know. You can't average numbers like that. That's just playing the numbers to fit your attempt to justify GMs junk. 33 vs 24, 34 vs 32.

You have to compare prices with similar options. Even if all options were identical, you pay for the better quality of a Toyota. A hybrid Camry is only a few hundred dollars more (MSRP) over a standard Camry equally equipped. The Camry may cost a little more than the Malibu hybrid but, you also gain a lot more with the Camry hybrid in performance and economy.

10% gain is nothing.

The GM junk is not a technology breakthrough. Honda and Toyota's system was a breakthrough. GM's version is just a cheap imitation to try and get sales. Hopefully people are smarter than that though. I mean anyone with half a brain can see it's junk and just something to try and get more sales instead of actually being of any value to the consumer.

I understand you may work for GM and just trying to defend their poor excuse of a hybrid for the Malibu though.

The new Malibu is a really nice car. They did a great job on it. They could have done really great on the hybrid too but, they chose to try and scam the customer with junk instead of a true hybrid.

Not only is it junk, they also only have it in key markets and, you can only get it in one option. You have no options to choose from like leather or anything. Again, anti-consumer.
    fshi,

it doens't matter what price the Malibu hybrid sells at if no one buys it.

using $3.00 per gallon (that's conservative), it would take the average driver 2-3 years to recover the added cost of the Camry Hybrid in fuel savings.

GM had a big jump on everyone with the electric car and then pulled the plug. All that did was deal the green revolution a big set back. What were they thinking?
  • paisan1paisan1 Member Posts: 11
    after reading most of the posts all I see are bickering between GM and Toyota . does anyone actually have a Malibu hybrid.i would like to hear how it is to drive and own.i have a civic hybrid and know how that is to drive,but would like to compare to the Malibu.for the record the accord was a performance hybrid that was real fun to drive,and I could care less about any mpg savings with that car.looking forward to more performance hybrids.....Arthur
    "GM has the two-mode hybrid technology at hand for suv/pickup truck, which consumes MUCH MORE gas than small cars, making small cars more efficient is FAR LESS important than making gas guzzlers more efficient"

getting a 10 percent gain (or even 20%) in a truck is more important than the Prius getting a 40% gain over a comprable compact?

If a Chevy Suburban can go from 18 mpg to 20; that is more important than a compact going from 30 mpg to 45? How do you figure? Every bit helps, but to say that a truck hybrid does more for the environment than the Prius is hard to accept.

Sure the Suburban can do more when it's fully loaded, but that's about 3% of the time it's being used. For 97% of your daily driving, the Prius will suffice. But it takes a change in attitude to get people to realize that many truck owners are driving much more than they need.

Of course we're being hypothetical here because GM isn't selling anything yet.

Anyone out there know how many Malibu Hybrids have been sold or are slated to be built?
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    the accord was a performance hybrid that was real fun to drive,and I could care less about any mpg savings with that car.looking forward to more performance hybrids

Considering it was a flop and Honda had to put it out of its misery, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for more of that genre.
  • tpetpe Member Posts: 2,342
    Lexus makes some performance hybrids, of course they're a little pricey.
    "getting a 10 percent gain (or even 20%) in a truck is more important than the Prius getting a 40% gain over a comprable compact?

If a Chevy Suburban can go from 18 mpg to 20; that is more important than a compact going from 30 mpg to 45? How do you figure? Every bit helps, but to say that a truck hybrid does more for the environment than the Prius is hard to accept. "

where do you get the numbers, Tahoe goes from 14/20 to 20/21, 30 to 45 is local, percentage wise it is the same as Tahoe goes from 14/20. Now, do you understand which is more important?

"Sure the Suburban can do more when it's fully loaded, but that's about 3% of the time it's being used. For 97% of your daily driving, the Prius will suffice. But it takes a change in attitude to get people to realize that many truck owners are driving much more than they need."

You need to convince big suv buyers to abandon this segment, you do not even need a hybrid, live closer to where you work, and ride a bicycle, that is good for you health too
    "So where are you pulling your numbers from? I think I know. You can't average numbers like that. That's just playing the numbers to fit your attempt to justify GMs junk. 33 vs 24, 34 vs 32."

I assume average person drive 50% local and 50% highway, you may be different you never drive on highway.

The rest of the statement is just repeating what you said before, and we are arguing in a loop. Relax my friend, and have a nice day.
    If a Chevy Suburban can go from 18 mpg to 20; that is more important than a compact going from 30 mpg to 45? How do you figure?

First off let's use real figures. The Honda Civic gets an epa average of 29 mpg. The Civic Hybrid gets 42 mpg. So over 15,000 miles the Civic owner could save 160 gallons by switching to the hybrid version.

The Chevy Tahoe gets 16 mpg, the Tahoe Hybrid gets 21. Over this same 15,000 miles the hybrid version will save 223 gallons. An additional 39% fuel savings over the Civic.

I can be argued that the Tahoe driver could save even more by transitioning to a smaller vehicle. I think we need to live in the real world. The Tahoe driver was not cross shopping this vehicle with Civics, Camrys, Accords, etc.. It is far more likely that he could be induced into purchasing a Tahoe Hybrid than a Camry or Civic hybrid. And the trucks/SUVs in this country use over 60% of the fuel while the passenger fleet uses less than 40%. If your goal is to save the most fuel, which group would you target first? However going from 29 to 42 mpg sounds much more impressive than going from 16 to 21 mpg and for a mathematically challenged populus it probably also makes for an easier sale.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Your argument is correct for $3.00/gallon gas price. But if the price goes to $7-8/gallon like in Europe, then the US vehicle mix could change to favor cars or smaller vehicles (<4000 lbs). People will respond accordingly when every fill up costs them $100. A few years back who could imagine cars like Fit, Aveo, Cobalt, Focus, Sentra, Civic,... are in great demand today?

Hope that new tech like clean diesel, light weight design, EV, Plug-in hybrid, ...will reduce the fill-up pain. Any improvement in MPG helps regardless how small since they all add up. Today some available technology could provide cars with better gas mileage in newer designs. They will add cost to vehicle, but may be lower than the full hybrid price tag of $6K-$10K

1. 6 speed AT : 3-5% in improvement
    2. VCM or AFC (cylinder shut off); 5-10%
    3. Light Weight: 2-3%
    4. Stop/Start 5-10% (more for Chicago and LA traffic)
    5. Turbo Diesel: 30%
    6. Small Turbo Gas: ?
    7. Direct Gas injection : 2-3%, cleaner exhaust, more HP
    8. Better Aerodynamic 2-3% (more for boxy truck)

jt
    I agree that as gas prices go up more people will place a higher priority on fuel efficiency, meaning a lot of drivers will be giving up their full sized SUVs.

Let's look at this totally independent of fuel prices. I believe that the biggest advantage of hybrid technology is the ability to recapture kinetic energy lost due to braking. That being the case there will always be more energy lost on vehicles with more mass. So that's where there is the most energy to recapture, i.e. the biggest benefit. In terms of fuel savings the absolue best application of hybrid technology would be in transit buses and delivery trucks. The least benefit would be in vehicles with small mass. The problem is that no one's impressed by a metro bus that has increased its fuel efficiency from 3 mpg to 5 mpg but they are impressed by a Prius that gets 50 mpg.

Again, while Toyota's hybrid technology may be impressive their choice of application is driven by how it will affect their image. I don't give them credit for being "greener" than GM but I do give them credit for realizing the value of image and how it affects their bottom line. I think that GM has also realized this and have tipped their hat to Toyota's insight into how the consumer's mind works.

I think that GM might have actually given the consumer too much credit. While Toyota took a page from P. T. Barnum and subscribed to the philosophy, "you'll never go broke underestimating the stupidity of the American people".
    The Tahoe may get more technically but, you will still pay twice as much for fuel to drive something that's rarely used to it's full potential.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    actually talk about the Malibu Hybrid, instead of "GM sucks", "no it doesn't", "yes it does" over and over and over?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Actually, since the new Vue two-mode uses the 3.6l (if I remember what I read?), it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to see this making its way into the passenger cars in the not-to-distant future. The Vue uses a transverse mounted engine, and I think the new two-mode is front-drive only. So the transmission and engine layout are there. The only question is whether the package would fit under the Aura / 'bu hood, and possibly where to put the batteries..

And for all the griping about 'only 2 mpg'- 10% better without changing your driving habits and locale isn't anything to sneeze at. Sure, I can (and routinely do) get 10-15% better than most people in similar vehicles on the same route I drive, but that's driving the speed limit, anticipating slowdowns / speedups (egg-under the accelerator method), etc. Add another 2 mpg for the mild-hybrid at very little up front cost, and things look pretty good. All without the relatively large compromises being made for the competition's full hybrids (lost trunk space- Camry, lurching- Camry, weird packaging- Prius, heavy dependence on the batteries for overall results- both Camry and Prius).

Don't get me wrong here, those compromises are fine if the end result of the maximum fuel savings is your goal, but most of us out here would like to not pay an arm and a leg for the car, or give up space (it's a PASSENGER car for a reason), or be able to carry 4 folks and their luggage on a trip, or even deal with strange drivetrain feel daily. To each his own. The mild hybrid is a good way to maximize existing powertrain efficiency without extreme expense or any real sacrifice in the capability of the platform in question.
  • tooninertooniner Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the 2008 Malibu mild hybrid, there's a bit more to the "why bother?" question than the EPA estimated 2 mpg increase.

Caveat: I've never owned a GM product nor work for any car industry concern.

+ Mild hybrids like the design in the Malibu and Aura are relatively simple when compared to dual-mode hybrids. The reduced system complexity and small size of mild-hybrid components (its electric motor-generator (MG) fits in the ICE-only Malibu's alternator position) means that many car models could add the mild-hybrid feature.
    + The main fuel-saving strategy is to cut fuel supply when the engine is not powering motion, i.e. at rest (auto-stop) and deceleration (regenerative braking).
    + A minor benefit to regenerative braking is decreased use of brakes, thereby promising a maintenance savings for those components.
    + The MG is used for power assist during acceleration. While it is nothing like a performance hybrid Lexus or Accord, the mild hybrid should have equivalent pick-up to its ICE-only cousin despite a bit more weight. If the stars align, it could have marginally better acceleration or improved fuel economy during acceleration, or both.

Here's a link to an SAE article about the GM mild hybrid system as included in the 2007 VUE. From what I've read about the Aura and Malibu mild hybrids, they are very similar.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/ebay342/saturn%20hybrid.pdf

Happy reading!
    Anyone know the count of Malibu Hybrids sold?

I'll bet not much.

meanwhile the Toyot Prius and Camry Hybrid are selling pretty well.
    Can't buy them if the dealers don't have them.I have not seen a single Aura or Malibu hybrid at a local dealer.
    actually there is one guy reporting on his new MH who loves the car.

he's impressed with his gas milege of 30 mpg on his 2.4 litre 4 cyl. hybrid :surprise:
    I haven't looked on the fueleconomy.gov website to verify this, but the mild hybrids should have an advantage that appeals to most 'greenie' eco-friendly types, in that it shuts the engine down at a stop. This should greatly reduce emissions for the average driver over other four cylinder cars, and is painless, since the car is taking car of all the work itself. (I do the same in my vehicles manually, any time I'm stopped for any extended period of time- as at train crossings, long slow lights, in line at fast food places, etc.)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "actually there is one guy reporting on his new MH who loves the car.

he's impressed with his gas milege of 30 mpg on his 2.4 litre 4 cyl. hybrid"

FWIW, I'm getting 31 MPG in my AWD FEH hybrid, which is an SUV rather than a passenger car... thus not super impressed by that MH number. The FWD version is rated at 34 city.
    "mild hybrids should have an advantage"

as opposed to non hybrids? :confuse:
    Yes. As opposed to non hybrids. Sorry if that was unclear.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Very impressive I was getting between 32 and 37 mpg on straight highway driving
    on my old 2004 V6 200 hp Malibu, anyone who is looking for a great used car with great highway mileage get your hands on the V6 200 hp Malibu you will not be disapointed whats so ever. Just dont get it for city driving it averaged 15 to 16 mpg.

My car had the trip computer take one for test ride on a highyway and set the computer within 10 miles you will be in the 30's I also use to check the gas mileage manually and it was the same
    "Very impressive I was getting between 32 and 37 mpg on straight highway driving on my old 2004 V6 200 hp Malibu, anyone who is looking for a great used car with great highway mileage get your hands on the V6 200 hp Malibu you will not be disapointed whats so ever. Just dont get it for city driving it averaged 15 to 16 mpg. "

I was being tongue-in-cheek; anyone considering a vehicle should think about what kind of miles they will use. If 80-90% of the miles are in the city, then a hybrid may be the right choice. If most of your miles are on the highway, other vehicles may be the best choice.

Most of my miles are in the city, so my Ford Escape Hybrid was a good choice for me.
    Hybrids get better highway mileage than non-hybrids, but the Malibu and Aura are nothing special on the highway.I probably do as well with my 2006.5 Optima.The Prius and the Civic wybrids get over 40 Hwy,so well worth the price if one is buying a new car. :)
    "Hybrids get better highway mileage than non-hybrids, but the Malibu and Aura are nothing special on the highway.I probably do as well with my 2006.5 Optima.The Prius and the Civic wybrids get over 40 Hwy,so well worth the price if one is buying a new car."

It depends upon whether or not the Prius is a large enough car. The Prius was too small for my purposes.

If you just need transportation, a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris can produce high 30's MPG, and cost many thousands less than a Civic hybrid or a Prius.
    anyone still think GM is deserving of it's "green" marketing?

Someone was talking about how GM is targeting the segment where people consume more fuel i.e. larger SUV's. How their contribution will have more impact than that of the Pruis.

Any sales to report for GM hybrids?

I did see someone post how they ordered a Tahoe Hybrid at MSRP. :surprise: They were commenting on how they didn't have to pay any dealer mark up for a dinasour (non hybrid) that is easily purchased for 10k under MSRP.

I think GM will spend alot more on promoting their commitment to being green then they will on the technology itself. And the sales, or lack of, of their hybrids is proof enough. It's a desperate ploy for a company on it's knees imo.

There's a waiting list for the Prius once again. Who's waiting to buy a GM hybrid?
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I would be interested to see figures on how sales of the Tahoe Hybrid are going now that they have the 2-stage hybrid. This hybrid seems to provide an impressive decrease in fuel consumption.

Presently the Malibu Hybrid is a 'mild' hybrid, which is another way of saying what aspesisteve did, that it is an excuse for GM to promote their commitment to being green without actually having to provide the technology. However, if GM adapted the 2-stage to the Malibu, I think they might have a mainstream car that could actually make a real difference.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

General Motors put their better more sophisticated 2 mode hybrid system that is being strapped on the Tahoe into the Malibu?

It would be interesting to see what they could get in milege here.
  • mike_mpgmike_mpg Member Posts: 1
    The problem now is the premium on a Prius. The payback before took about 4 years compared to a Toyota Corolla. With A $2000 premium it takes over 8 years. A comment about all hybrid systems. They only provide benefit for frequent stop-and-go driving. If you're an LA freeway driver, then this is the car for you. If you are driving long distances without a break, then a diesel like the Jetta is the car for you. The prius can get high 40s on the highway too, but because of good aero drag, narrow tires and a very small engine (1.5L) running Atkinson cycle. I used to think the mild hybrids offered by GM were pointless too, but they also shut off on coast and at intersections, making them lower emissions cars in that use. The 2.4L engine also runs Atkinson cycle, which improves economy a bit, but the car is much bigger and heavier than a Prius. There may be no premiums on the Malibu Hybrid and since GM is hurting right now, you may be able to score an incentive from GM as well as the IRS incentive. The IRS incentive for Prius may have already been used up. Hmmmmm. I personally love the styling of the Malibu, but that doesn't save any gas.
    it's not just about payback, sometimes people just want to have a smaller foot print on the world - that's why some choose to put solar panels on their roof even if it takes 12 years to break even.

if you get pleasure out of giving to charity, then think of the planet as a great cause.
    the Prius is a huge success for Toyota. It definitely took some vision and strategy to get it to market and make people want them. Now they are waiting in line for them.

GM isn't offering discounts on the hybrid Tahoe (that I know of) - as for the hybrid Malibu, I don't think anyone cares because the bonus is so minute.
  • rjsplacerjsplace Member Posts: 1
    All the engineering an GM comes up with a mild Hybrid that gets you a sticker on the car that says Hybrid but little else.Lets hope the VOLT actually gets produced but it wont be early 2010 I bet. I have a 2006 Grand Prix 3800 engine one of GMs finest engines good for 200,000 miles and I get 30 miles to the gallon Highway.But of course GM is discontinuing it. So if you want reliabilty and good mileage buy any GM product with a 3800 while still available.
This discussion has been closed.