Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 and Bluetooth

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    You have to transfer your phonebook entries one-by-one to the car from your phone, and are limited to 40. You can record a voice tag with each entry - it is the car's voice recognition doing the matching and dialing from its address book, not the phone's. If the calling name is in the phone book, it will display the name, otherwise, the caller ID will display the phone number. You can have it dial by speaking the number. Depending on how fast you are driving, and the road conditions, this can be problematic, but does work, just like any other voice commmands in the car.
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    There is no phone that can transfer it's address book to the HFL of this car or any other. It has to be done manually- one at a time. One would think that this will available at some future date.

RAZR and KRZR both have decent battery life. I don't know how anyone can get along without a car battery charger that uses a cell phone in their car a great deal. Hey Cheap Skates get the cobwebs out of your wallets and buy one for $25 at the Verizon store or go to EBay.

Every bluetooth enabled phone should work with this car. If it's on the Infiniti recommended list that just means the particular phone was tested with the vehicle. It doesn't mean other phones won't work.
    Hassle is, the car supports only 40 phonebook entries. Not saying that it couldn't support more, but that's the way it is right now. Most cell phones support MANY more than that, often with 2-3 or more for a single named entry (home, office, cell, other?). So, how would you like the cell phone and car to agree on which numbers to transfer if you did it in bulk? You need to go in to enter a voice tag one-by-one.

Likelyhood is, you'd not get your desired numbers sent if it started at the beginning and ended when full.
  • kkoshkinkkoshkin Member Posts: 9
    My phone works fine with the car's Bluetooth, except that it never alerts me when I have an incoming call. The result is that when I get out, I may have a handful of missed calls that the car should have alerted me to. I can place outgoing calls effortlessly, and the phone and vehicle recognize each other every time I get in the car.

Does anyone know how to get it to alert me to incoming calls?
  • jjsheinjjshein Member Posts: 10
    When I first got the BB, I easily paired it with my 06 M45 where it worked flawlessly for ~2 months. Recently, I have been unable to get it to pair, even though my dealer deleted paired phones and I've followed the instructions from Infiniti's website exactly in order to get it working again. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    can you pair your blackberry with your computer or any other device? I think you have to figure out which unit is giving you problems...it may not be the M
  • jjsheinjjshein Member Posts: 10
    The Blackberry works flawlessly with my Motorola bluetooth headset.
    I followed the procedure to get into the diagnostics menu and played with the phone microphone settings. They all have an echo with my Motorola V540 phone. I probably need to try listening on another phone to the connection, but I was wondering if others had tried this and if they hear a nasty echo when running the test procedure.
  • kivikivi Member Posts: 12
    When my wife picked up her M35 a few weeks ago she called me from the car, and we had a very bad echo during the call. I had her turn the volume on the phone down, and the call was perfectly clear after that. Sound quality was great.
    Unfortunately....that was the only time the car has successfully connected to the phone. Now it will simply not pair with the phone.... very annoying. Ours are Samsung phones.
    what is the procedure to adjust the microphone. I've tried the test, but changing the volume does nothing at all to the echo. I've tried this with both a motorola V3 and an LG 8600.

I actually now wear a bluetooth earpiece which works in and out of the car....but it would be nice to get a clear bluetooth connection in the car.

I'venever had a problem connecting the phone to the car.....they always find each other quickly.

If you have two phones, you have to tell the car which one you want to use. I wonder if that's your problem.
    There is a sensitivity adjustment in the service menus...I think it defaults to medium. To get ot it, if I remember correctly, you start with the stereo off, hold the setting button and turn the volumne control about 20-clicks or so until the menu pops up. All sorts of stuff in there. I know with my phone, all of the settings produced echo, at least on the test - I didn't try it after making a phone connection.

There's another menu, but I think you need the dealers computer to adjust, but you can adjust the headlights (if you have the auto adjusting option) +/- 15%, which sets the default height which might be of interest.
    There is also a microphone test...but I can't figure out how that works...or if it's an adjustment.

I believe the headlight adjustment has to do with when the lights come on, not the height of the headlights.
    The menu you can get to does determine the light level where the lights come on, but, one of the dealer menus allows adjustment of the height of the beam. From the service manual, it appears you need their custom computer to access many of those menus; you can't get into it easily yourself. I haven't looked at it, but you might get a little adjustment from the sensor on the rear suspension, but my guess is that it is keyed and only fits one way. If there is some slop, you might be able to cheat it a little there as well.
  • kivikivi Member Posts: 12
    I did not adjust the settings in the car. I had my wife turn down the volume setting on her phone. On our phones you can adjust the voice volume, and that was all we needed to do.
    We do have 2 phones (same type of phone), and each is setup for the car, but neither of them will connect despite trying many times. I guess a trip to the dealer is next step.
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Verizon has been known to "fuss" with the bluetooth firmware that is in devices loaded with their software. Moreover, they have been known to admit that this is purposefull (why, one can only guess). I got so frustrated with my bluetooth connectivey on Treo 600, 650, and most recently 700, I finally switched carrier to AT&T with a Treo 750 and haven't looked back.

My only problem is now the Infiniti will only take 40 phone book entries. This day and age, this is rediculous. A meager amount of memory for an address book in $45k automobile.
    If your bluetooth is echoing or garbled, Infiniti released a technical service bulletin (fix kit) last month which applies to all 2006 and 2007 M's...ITB07-036a It is not a trivial update...the microphone is actually moved which requires that the roof liner be cut to mount it..and the control module for the nav system or display system is replaced.

I stopped by my dealer today so they could verify the bluetooth problems on my 06 M35 and they agreed to put the TSB on my car. They have already done one car and the service manager said that it really fixed the bluetooth problems in that car and the new microphone in the roof liner looked just as if the car came that way.

Note: this is not a recall. Some owners find the current bluetooth works just fine. As with any TSB, it is only applied if you can demonstrate the problem to your dealer with your phone.
  • pcc5pcc5 Member Posts: 3
    I had the TSB put into my 2006 M45 and it has helped the problem some, however, the microphone is placed above your head which creates a problem with the transmission of your voice into the mic.
  • charlieatlcharlieatl Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone used an iPhone in a bluetooth environment in an M35? I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2008 M35 and would like to know if this works well or not.
  • lengelberglengelberg Member Posts: 6
    I just had the TSB repair done on my 06 M35x. The echo is still there. Does anyone know if this has been resolved on the 08 M35? My lease is up in 2 months and this may determine what car I get next.
    Ditto for me. The fix didn't fix anything and the echo is just terrible. I've tried every setup option low/med/high. Why do other cars work so well and the infiniti bluetooth is just awful.
  • cindy30cindy30 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 M35 with a samsung A640. No problems except people say I sound like I am in a mountain, echos etc. I can hear them fine.
    Have been trying to get this resolved for a year and finally they cam out with a bulletin that says it can be fixed. Anyone out there have the same problem? What kind of cell phone do you have?
    Cindy
    If you go to where you bought the phone, they will make all the transfers for you.
    Cindy
    Go to the settings, go to phone and select volume for incoming calls and raise the volume.Should resolve it.
    Cindy
  • arnold14arnold14 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2006 M35 and the bluetooth sounds like you're calling from a plane. The reception is very garbled and the car mic gives a very speaker phone like sound, very hard to understand. Is there any way to fix this other than do the service bulletin?
    I had a whole new navigation system put in with a new microphone above my head. Has improved the quality of sound, don't sound like I am in a well, but still sounds like I am on a speaker phone. But I am on a speaker phone, so I think it is fine.
    Cindy
    I'm having mine installed now at the dealer. Mine was locking up and the TSB #07038 describes the Bluetooth problems the M is having with echos. Hopefully, it will improve. I also heard the navigation that is being re-installed on 07 and later models have some functional improvements on the Nav - have you seen any? I hate it when my M is in the dealer, I have nightmares of mechanics backing into a wall or another car.....sheeeesh....
  • lengelberglengelberg Member Posts: 6
    Just re-upped to a 2008 m35x. My lease was up and loyalty incentives were too good to pass up. The bluetooth works great without echoes.
    At first, I thought the new upgrade helped my 06 M35, but I've found that it really is still not very good. Mostly, I dial thru the car and then hit the handset button and just talk like a normal person with the phone at my ear.
  • mkaplan1mkaplan1 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my M yesterday and my treo disconects from the bluetooth before I can dial a call. I just read somewhere that treo's are not compatable with the infiniti M. and that you can only receive calls. Is this true, what to do?
    It depends on who your carrier is, as Verizon and AT&T both adjust the phone settings. I had Treo on Verizon and it had very poor bluetooth connectivy, switched to AT&T and it improved SIGNIFICANTLY, though the model phone was also upgraded to the Treo 750. I also did the upgrade, primarily for the Navigation problem of locking up, and it did not change bluetooth, at least that I can tell. Interestingly, I also tried the Motorola Q, the Samsung Blackjack II, and the Tilt, all on AT&T and the seemed to work equally well, though the Q had some voice volume fluctuations, which I never could get resolved.

Net-net, phone and carrier all exhibit different characteristics with bluetooth on vehicles.
    You have to check to see which phones are compatible. I just had a whole new navigation system installed because I was having so much trouble. It is much better. Still sounds like I am on speaker phone, but at least I don't sound like I am in a tunnel.
    Good luck.
    Just picked up my 2008 M35 with tech. I would like to load the car with my contact directory....and I am frustrated. I have a bluetooth phone (lg8600), I have a bluetooth palm (TX) and I have a laptop with built in bluetooth using outlook with all my contacts.

Surely there must be a way to get my contacts into the car's phone directory, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I see that I can set the car to receive the directory...but none of the devices can send the entire directory...that's normally a sync function.

How do I do this?

Why do I think that the same person that decided that it's unsafe to scroll thru restaurant pages while driving on an interstate (mis-)designed the bluetooth phone interface?
    Go to tools on your phone, then to blue tooth, then to options and press "send to". That should work.
    At least on my model year (06), it only holds about 40 entries, and you must transfer them individually, not en mass.
  • finadvfinadv Member Posts: 59
    I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are on a speaker phone. Are you saying that it should sound normal, i.e. like you're just on the phone? Does any car actually work this way? I can't imagine any car would, because in the end, you are talking on a speaker phone. It just so happens that the speaker phone is part of the car.
    But your 06 (and my 06 that I just turned in for an 08) didn't have an option in the phone menu to "transfer directory". Since my 08 has that option, I'd like to understand how to do it even if it is limited to 40 numbers (which I don't think it is).

So the question remains...the M35 sits waiting for a bluetooth directory to be sent via bluetooth. I have all these bluetooth devices and I can't find any way to actually send a directory to the M35. How do you use this function?
    Did you happen to read the user's manual?
    yes...and the manual says close to nothing. My cellphone does not appear to have the built in capability to transfer a directory, only single contacts. The palm and computer can sync a directory, but that's not covered. So the question remains...has anyone been able to download a directory from a palm or a computer over bluetooth?
    Infiniti had phone specific pairing and setup information on their website when I bought mine...have you searched there to see if that is still available?
  • reinsteinreinstein Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased an M35x and have an iPhone. I was able to pair my phone via blue tooth, but do not yet understand about the contact book. Clearly the iPhone does not support pushing its contacts to the phone book via bluetooth.

However, is there any alternate way to upload a contact list? Can it be done through the compact flash card? WHat about via the itunes or other cable interface?

Followup question: If i did have a phone that can push the contact list to the M35, is it stored on the hard drive or does it need to access the phone each time? If the first is true, maybe i could use another phone to get my contacts onto the M35 and then switch back to my iPhone?

thanks

Larry
    I have a sprint samsung phone.
    I go to menu and click on the tools options. The go to bluetooth, then to options and I can connect all the numbers on my phone to the phone directory in the car.
    Therefore I can just say "Dial Cindy Home" and it listens.
    Hope that helps.
    my question is whether your samsung contacts are stored on the car memory, or if they have to be reloaded each time?

my iphone does not push the contacts.
    I have not followed what, if any, changes to the BT interface have happened over the last years - I have a 2006. On mine, the car will only run from stored numbers and it only holds 40-contacts. To keep from having to manually put them in, it does support sending them over one-by-one via BT. It's been awhile since I did it.

My guess is it MIGHT work from the phone if you have voice recognition on the phone turned on and have recoreded voice prompts in the phone. Haven't tried that.
    thanks

it is hard to understand why a system with a flash drive and other inputs would not support a simple contact file transfer
  • khaug1khaug1 Member Posts: 8
    My experience onm our '09 M35x was with a freebie Verizon-branded LG 'phone. Our sales guy got it to synch in 30 seconds in the showroom!

So far, I've not tried to download our 'phone's directory, but the procedure is clearly spelled out in the 'phone's handbook, and I'm optimistic!

-Karl
  • suv44suv44 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '07 m35. Just got a blackberry Tour and was told that the phone is not compatible. It works, but does not work well. Any ideas to enhance performance and/or retrofit some solution?

Thanks
    You need to have a phone that is compatible with the car or it won't get any better.
    I also had my microphones in the car changed and that helped a little.
    Good luck.
  • stonehavenstonehaven Member Posts: 1
    As I understand it, the Bluetooth in the car still will not stream music from an iPhone. Is this because the Bluetooth in the car does not support A2DP or some other limitation? Would the Scosche Tunestream device work?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9274778&type=product&id=1218072893- 837&AID=10597222&PID=3357745&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.j- sp%3FskuId%3D9274778%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218072893837&ref=39&loc=01
  • jmarcewiczjmarcewicz Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to revisit the topic of what phone works well with the M35 as this discussion has not been updated recently. I am aware that Infiniti has the comparable/incomparable bluetooth phones listed on their site, but as someone has already mentioned, the list is not really up to date—and besides, I've not had any luck searching both Verizon's site or Best Buy for phones that will work with my car.
    So, after that long-winded introduction, here's the details of...
    What I have:
    2008 M35x
    currently using ancient Motorola Verizon phone
    What I need:
    BASIC bluetooth phone (Verizon) - no smartphone; no 3G neccessary

:confuse: Does anybody out there have a basic Verizon phone that works with their Infniti which I can easily buy (either through Verizon or another trusted retailer)?