Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Sunfire Mileage Numbers

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
This topic is for owners to post the actual MPG they're getting with the Sunfire.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• Options
    tbird_s_ytbird_s_y Member Posts: 5
    With my 1995 4door Sunfire, I average 30 mpg with combined city/highway driving. Not too bad. The car itself has held up great and drives well for being over 10 years old.
  • Options
    laxking17laxking17 Member Posts: 4
    i get about 28-30 and thats including racing my engine hard
  • Options
    d3rn7d3rn7 Member Posts: 1
    I get about 13 MPG on the highway with my 01 Sunfire. it has a 3.8L v6 with 2 turbo chargers running about 35 lbs of boost. but i am also caring a lot of weight the spare tire well is loaded down with concrete and on top of that i have a 6 sq/ft box with an orion H2 thats about 600 lbs including the concrete. i have 3 power bass amps that weigh about 150 combined and 18 inch limited rims. a lot of weight + a lot of power = no MPG
  • Options
    moe75moe75 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Sunfire SE 2.2 and wondered if anyone out there experiences poor gas mileage and an erratic gas gauge? I did a recent tuneup( plugs,plug wires, air filter) and I only get 18-20 miles per gallon. Its really seems to burn the gas. No matter if Im idling,in the city, or on the freeway, it chews it up. I have 125k miles on it and it seems to run pretty decent. Anyone have any light to shed on this?
  • Options
    slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    I live about 10 miles from work, mostly highway. Still get about 29-30 MPG with the 2.4L engine and a manual transmission. Still love my car.
    :)
  • Options
    moe75moe75 Member Posts: 2
    Hey slackerman:
    Any ideas as to what may be why im getting horrible gas mileage,even after doing this tuneup?

Thanks
  • Options
    edmundsjittyedmundsjitty Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same problem as moe75 ( also recently did a tune up, mileage is 128k miles) - anyone know what may be causing this poor gas mileage? Thanks.
  • Options
    argus1argus1 Member Posts: 8
    All of a sudden my temp gauge (2005 sunfire) 2dr would not go back to zero when engine is off - - so when engine is os on, the needle was in overheat range. It continued to move higher and now reaches all the way over to Tach and keeps tach needle locked. It stays with way whether engine on or off. Any suggestions? Do I need a new instrument cluster?
    Also if I get a used gauge cluster, is the cars milage picked up from PCM and transferred to the newly installed cluster? Thanks
  • Options
    kingstondankingstondan Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone post they're milage there getting per tank? I'm in Ontario Canada and I'm getting not to bad hwy milage but in the city I'm getting maybe 400 km (248 miles) a tank. When I first got this car, I could get at least 450 a tank but now I watch the needle get within a quarter of a inch before it comes near 400.
  • Options
    slackermanslackerman Member Posts: 43
    28 MPG overall with mostly short (10 miles) highway trips. '96 Sunfire convertible, 2.4L, 5-speed manual.
  • Options
    duece2duece2 Member Posts: 2
    My brother had the same problem with his 96 firebird formula. Try a new sending unit or ask your repair shop if a sending unit would fix it.
  • Options
    steves_99_gtsteves_99_gt Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    i have a 99gt with 2.4 and i get 550 to 600 km a tank also the car has 244000 kms
  • Options
    tremorztremorz Member Posts: 2
    im driving a 2003 sunfire with 100,000 and im still getting 375-410 miles on a tank.
    that is combined city and hwy use. but i refuse to run my a/c and use the sunroof and windows to keep the car cool. I f i use the a/c unit it drops my mileage to 250-300 miles per tank.
  • Options
    ericv1984ericv1984 Member Posts: 2
    I get about 300-320 miles per tank in my 1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2L and it has about 161k miles on it.
  • Options
    dls_mikedls_mike Member Posts: 1
    My car has over 217000 miles and it used to give me 36 miles to the gallon now it just gives me about 32 to 33 depending on my speed. I love my car!!
  • Options
    pontiac_galpontiac_gal Member Posts: 1
    I get 24 city and 34 highway.