Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL

rickwjennrickwjenn Member Posts: 40
edited December 2013 in Acura
The Acura TL is due for a mid-model refresh on the 07 model year.

I have heard about a Type S w/more power, minor changes to the instrument panel, and slight styling changes like mirror-based turn signals and new tail lights.

Anyone hear something else or different?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I recieved a e-mail from a Acura customer service rep telling me to check the homepage often. I asked about the S-Type and that's about all he could give me.

Rocky
  • rickwjennrickwjenn Member Posts: 40
    Rocky

Thx! Glad you moved over here after the host redirected us to this Future Vehicle area.

I check the Acura web site often. I would suspect we will see something in the late August / early Sept at the best.

I really need to get my new car soon. I keep eyeing the 06 models and checking local dealer inventory. The thought of the 07 TL getting an S type and the same type of refresh as the 06 Accord (i.e. styling, new colors, etc) keeps me from pulling the trigger.

I also really live www.vtec.net - there "Rumors and News" section is spot on regarding Japan, US, and European Honda models. This is their 07 TL note from May - read and enjoy:

"First of all, the TL's upcoming Type-S variant is said to be getting a bump up to around 290hp. As we've mentioned, it will do its best to deliver that through the front wheels. Supposedly the suspension geometry remains largely unchanged, so that doesn't bode well for squelching the complaints of torque steer. We remind you that this information is still in the rumor phase at this point, so we'll have to try to dig up more on it. Inside the car, the interior is said to be receiving some minor freshening including a restyled shifter and revised gauges. On the exterior, the fog lights are said be changed but it's not clear what that means. This is purely speculative on my part, but perhaps this means that they will be relocated from the headlamp assembly down into the lower bumper? The person who sent this information to us mentioned that the wheels "suspiciously resemble Nissan's Altima SE-R (wheels)". Again with the speculation, I would expect that the Type-S will arrive in showrooms wearing at least 18" wheels. "
    This what I got back from Acura HQ.

Please describe your issue and indicate how Acura may provide
    assistance:
    A Type S type of vehicle ? If such a vehicle is made I will be very
    interested. What I'd personally would like to see is a 8000 RPM engine
    with twin turbo's and 400 hp. and SH-AWD in a Type S or R vehicle on the redesign 09' model. I'd like to see air
    condition seats and the TL to get the 410 watt version of the ELS system

from the RDX.

Dear Rocky

Thank you for writing. There is not much I can reveal about future
    product. I can probably state that there do not appear to be any 400hp
    twin turbo engines in the near term. As far as Type-S? Keep checking
    into our site from time to time.

Best Regards:

Jonathan
    Acura Web Site.
    I often go to the Acurazine website to gather rumors. They have a 2007' Type-S forum where I post regularly. Some are claiming there dealers are saying 310 hp on the 07' model.

Rocky
    Rocky

Thanks - I will check out that site.

IMO Acura will never build a twin turbo engine - Honda is just not a turbo company (for production cars) and their competitive price points wont support it. They don't compete with the hi-end BMW, Mercerdes, etc. IMO. Maybe, just maybe the new NSX will be competitive with the current batch of sports cars (997, Vette, etc. ) I sure hope so and appreciate you telling Acura what you want!!
    I disagree and feel you will see alot more turbocharging from Honda to keep weight down, fuel economy up, while being competitive in performance IMO. Many others feel the same.

Well time will tell if I'm wrong

Something to check out should be the new 2007' Infiniti G35 which appears to be just as nice.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/#

bottom right corner for the video....

Rocky
    Rocky

Thanks for the link. Nissan makes great cars, I just don't line up with their styling.

I think Honda will continue to push very efficient normally aspirated engines - small displacement, high rpm, with lots of power and fuel efficiency tricks - (VTECH, DME, etc.). Turbos generally add weight and hurt gas fuel economy - diesels are another story. Don't get me wrong - I love turbo engines - I am on my fourth 911 turbo and it is marvel of performance - it gets all of 12mpg too :)

I will keep hunting for 07 TL info and posting it here.
    See pal I've always heard the opposite on turbo engines. Superchargers do indeed hurt fuel economy. Acura decided using the 4-cylinder on the RDX, because they new they could use the small turbo to achieve the power needed and still have a lightweight balanced SUV. I do look forward to the day when Acura and other car company shift from gas guzzling V-8's to V-6's with Displacement On Demand systems and turbo power. The turbo engines in Saabs are 4 and 6 cylinder choices and achieve excellent MPG, while achieving good power. I also do see the day when hybrid engines will be combined with these 2 other technolgies, unless other technologies are invented first. ;) Mitsubishi and Dodge had the perfect engine in the one they used in the Stealth. Yeah it's old technolgy when compared with todays modern engines, but the 6-cylinder and twin-turbo with 4-Wheel Steering and AWD made it a world class automobile. Infiniti is the only manfactor with 4-Wheel steering on the market, and all they would need is a couple of Twin Turbo's to make the best handling, most powerful performance sedan the world has seen. This is what the Nissan GT-R prototype is made up of and on paper it looks awesome. ;) Acura has a sophisticated AWD system that needs to go on the TL to get rid of that FWD torque steer.

I'm a bit surprised the all new 2007' G 35 doesn't fit your tastes. It could be a better choice overall than the TL and will probably be a bunch cheaper. It's going to have well over 300 horsepower and features a new classy upscale interior, and is getting the new Bose Studio "on wheels" Stereo Equipment :surprise: It makes me salivate to hear all the new technolgy on this car :D

I will follow the new Type-S into production, but in my case the Infiniti G35 will probably be the way for me to go since I want a new car and don't want to wait until 2008' for the CTS, which hasn't impressed me yet anyways. :sick:

We'll keep in touch pal.

Rocky

P.S. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/ bottom right corner is where you will find the new G 35 if you haven't seen it yet. ;)
    rickwjenn, I say the infiniti is a better choice, but who really knows right until they are released. I owned a Acura TL and was impressed with it's quality and technology, and unless the Infiniti can really compete with it I doubt I'll leave the Acura brand if I don't buy GM. I'm glad I have a few choices atleast. ;)

Rocky
    Rocky

Choices are to have. It is clearly a great decade to be a car buyer - lots of very high quality makes to choose from.

I am going to go test drive an G35 just to check it out.
    Okay but the new 2007 with the much better interior isn't out yet pal.

Here's the new one !!!!

Official site #1

#1 http://www.infiniti.com/allnewG/allNewG.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/10878/2007-infiniti-g35-sedan.html

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=110002

http://www.autosite.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_i- nt/1321

OTOH I am going to pay close attention to the TL Type-S, but the Infiniti G35 did have the best resale value of the entry level luxury sport sedans and it was the least expensive. car and driver says a base will be around $30K and a loaded one will cost only $35K. The Acura TL Type-S rumor is $43K. If that is true, then the Infiniti will be a much better buy unless the TL comes dressed to impress ;)

Rocky
    Rocky

I know - I just have never driven one so I really can't evaluate it.

I am itching for the new TL. I need to get my new cars soon. One for personal one for my business. Right now it is a TL and an Accord EX-L. I can get the Accord for $300 to $500 under invoice right now here in So Cal - just need to find out about the 07 TL and either get it or nail a deal on an 06.

Cant wait!
    Well I reccommend driving both before you pull the trigger pal.

Rocky
    Sept. 06' issue is reporting a Type-S with 300 hp. with 3.5 V-6 ;)

Rocky

P.S. page 76'
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    think about this - new engine, 6 speed tranny, and AWD. It would sell like hotcakes, and they can price it considerably higher than the current TL. Yes, it would jeopardize some of the RL sales...

Plus, i know the AWD exists (RL), dont know about the 6 speed tranny. can it be that hard to add the AWD to the TL?
    There will not be AWD on the 07 TL. Just minor styling and an S Type with more HP.

All the really big changes will be in 09
    Yep, that is what many are saying on Acurazine. The Type-S will get the 3.5 VTEC V-6 though w/ around 300 hp.

Rocky
  • acuraking_27acuraking_27 Member Posts: 15
    I'm going to have to somewhat disagree.
    Nissan does make a great car used to make a great car, but the people that i know that have them say that they may not buy Nissan/Infiniti anymore. (In my opinion, they are not as reliable nor as good looking as they used to be!) But overall, The TL is the better buy, and better car (not my opinion, a fact!) ;) If your going for pure performance, yes the G35, but everything else, the TL. And especially considering the rumors that the 2007 TL will get AWD and 290 horses, :) and that the Type-S will get 320+ horses and yet both models will still achieve 20-30 mpg(way better than the current G35 (18/25), it may be able to hold on in performance as well as, if not better than the next G35.

And from what i've observed(my family is mostly honda/acura)i would rather pay how ever many thousand more for the TL. The only problem i would expect out of the TL, is tranny!
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I just got the new car 2007 model year of Motor Trend and the TL is pretty much the same for 2007. They said there are minor exterior and interior improvements but from the photo the car looks exactly the same.

I guess we will have to wait till 2008 or 2009 for an all new TL.
    starman98, That is a 2006' pic. as nobody knows for sure what the 2007' will look like yet. This next month (August) is what most folks have been told by there dealers. Look at the Chinese Acura TL as your best guess of what the 07' will look like.

Rocky
    I leaning towards the 335i sedan. Who needs a FWD Acura, when this 335i is going to get some serious tail.

Rocky
  • acuraking_27acuraking_27 Member Posts: 15
    No, your right, the TL is not getting any major redesign except it will have the tailights from the concept (the grayish-black a-spec) and smoked heads. And the interior will be 50% new.

And addition of Type-S model with 320+ horses.
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    These are the changes are reported from the Temple of VTEC.

A significantly upgraded TL will debut in fall 2006. Additional information regarding the TL will become available on 9/1/06.

Significant minor model change
    Powertain enhancements
    Restyled exterior
    New interior refinements
    Additional technology features
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    very interested to see what those new interior refinements are!
    On Acurazine some are saying SH-AWD will be a option. I hope ya are right on the 320 hp. deal. Will the new TL get the RDX's 450 ELS DVD-A system you think ? How bout ventilated seats ? If the TL gets all these new cool features I might just have to buy a new TL. :surprise:

Rocky
    Can't wait either for 9/1 to come. :D

Rocky
    Will a non fading dash be one one of the improvements?
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    I'm hoping for ventilated seats. All luxury cars should have those nowadays. I will trade cooled seats for rain sensing wipers (on pickup trucks now!!!) any day!
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    If you want the oil-slick look for the dash, get some ArmorAll.
    I like the new refresh, but I can't find a much needed upgraded ELS surround sound system anywhere. I assumed they would of taken the Rockin' ELS system from the Acura RDX and put it in the TL. :sick: :cry:

Rocky
  • pdkesqpdkesq Member Posts: 14
    Gotta disagree with you on the Nissan's. Before I bought my TL I'd owned four straight Nissans (two Pathfinder's an Altima and a Titan). All were great cars, were never in the shop, etc etc. I've had no problems with any of these vehicles. I didn't really care for the Infiniti equivalent to the TL and Nissan itself didn't have what I was looking for, or I'd have gone with them again. Great cars. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
  • gonein60secgonein60sec Member Posts: 56
    Got a quick peek at a color brochure for the 2007 Acura TL. There are a few more color options in the 2007 model. The Redondo Red Pearl exterior model is gone in the new model year as I hear it was not a big seller in 2006. There will be a Graphite Pearl and Kinetic Blue Pearl model added to the color line up from what I remember. The Kinetic Blue Pearl is a shade lighter than the existing Royal Blue Pearl which will also be in 2007. As for interior colors, the Camel color is gone in 2007 and the Quartz interior will be replaced by a Taupe color. The Type-S will have an option for a two-tone interior of Ebony/Silver.
  • vluuvluu Member Posts: 100
    Any pricing annoucements? Also, any mention of the wood trim for a specific interior color. I know in the past, it was only offered in the parchment and camel interiors. The ebony and gray had the carbon fiber.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Acura. com now has info on the TL-S on its website.

It's official, no manual tranny option on regular TL. :cry:
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Call from my dealer claimed that my 2004 TL 6-speed will be going up in value and offered to buy it outright, without a trade, anytime I want to sell it. So, for me personally, that faux pas by Acura is a potential benefit.

I certainly wouldn't have spent an extra $5k for a TL-S just to get a 6-speed with 30 more horsepower. And the vast majority of the "S" package suspension and brake upgrades were standard (i.e. free) on the previous base 6-speed. If it were RWD, perhaps the TL-S would be an attractive alternative, but that price point it's going to have a lot of buyers thinking 335i, if they are serious about real performance.

Acura, one step forward, two back.
    I was getting my oil done the other day and here are the changes the dealer pointed to me for the 2007 TL

-turn signels on the side mirrors
    -redesigned tail lights
    -Fog lights on the bottom
    -Larger Acura emblum on the front
    -Daytime Running Lights
    -redesigned wheels
    -3 spoke steering wheel
    -slightly redesigned instrument cluster
    -some Navigation improvements with real time traffic display
    -Rear view Camera (he didn't know if this was in all TL's or just the Type S)
    -slightly softer seats (may be a Type S option only as well)
    Additionally, there is a new 5 speed auto tranny in the base TL, push botton start button and it will have new aux inputs to play MP3's.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    You sure about the Push Button Start?
    In the pics of the Type-S on Acura.com, you can see the ignition and a turn style key, in it's usual place.
    It may be keyless.. that I don't know, but it doesn't appear to be push-button.
    Why would the base offer it and the Type-S not?
    "You sure about the Push Button Start? "

noooo.... :blush:

I read it elsewhere ;)
  • gonein60secgonein60sec Member Posts: 56
    Acura.com has all the specs and description of the 2007 Acura TL online.
    Intro:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2006090859497&mime=asc

Specs:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2006090859796&mime=asc

Features:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2006090859665&mime=asc

Links to various technical detail on interior, exterior, chassis, etc:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?view=t&page=1
  • thisguymothisguymo Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, there's no push-button start. However, there is a one-touch start meaning the you turn the key once and the engine cranks until it starts. A also, the key was changed into a switch-blade style one.

Also, all navigation models have the reverse rear-view camera.
    Is that is all with navigations or is it going to be some Technology package that is in the RL and RDX?

No Hondas have push start that I know of that is Toyota/Lexus.
    S2000 and Honda Insight have push button starters, but they still require a key.
    Nothing keyless.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    As mentioned here, the '07 TLs will have a rear camera built into the navigation. Does anyone know whether this is the same thing offered on previous models as a $1,100 option?
    Real Time Traffic will also be standard w/ the Navi package for 07.
    "As mentioned here, the '07 TLs will have a rear camera built into the navigation. Does anyone know whether this is the same thing offered on previous models as a $1,100 option?"

I would assume it's the same or something very similar to what I got standard on my '06 MDX Touring (Nav,RES)

There's a little cam, mounted in the rear deck lid, where the handle is for opening the rear.
    I love it...
    I can get within an inch of a wall or parked car.

They mounted it in such a way that you get a great angle of the rear bumper so you can get real close without hitting anything.

I hope the cam on the TL is mounted with as much thought.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Thanks scottm. I just found out that the optional equipment on '06 TLs and earlier is not a rear camera at all but a rear beeper that beeps faster as you approach an object. The rear camera is a major advance and safety feature, especially with the extra large size of the TL nav screen (much larger,by the way, than the nav on the expensive Lexus GS which I saw yesterday.)

Also, the '07s are going to offer a much improved (ie softer) ride, improved road noise isolation I hope, new instruments, etc. What is the price increase on this vehicle???
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    "the '07s are going to offer a much improved (ie softer) ride"

"Softer" does not sound like an improvement to me! And I hear the base model can't be had with a 6 spd. :mad: Are they still considering it to be a "sports sedan"??? :surprise: