Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2006 and Newer)

12346»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Got the blues, anyone else feel it's too hot for top-down driving?

Feels like 114 degrees here in DC in some places, when you factor in the humidity!
  • destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    I have the new Mazda MX-5 convertible and live in Charlotte, NC and it's been way to hot and humid to drop the top. High's in the mid 90's with a heat index of over 105. It's even to muggy at night to drop the top. I am looking forward to the fall.
    Me too! A lot of people don't get it, but mild temps are best for a drop-top, not this sort of heat!
  • BirminghamBirmingham Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to let everyone know I replaced the original OEM sound system in my '07 Touring with a new one. I am very happy with it; it sounds great even with the top down!

I installed the Kenwood KDC-BT645U CD Receiver. It has connections for my iPhone/iPod which I store in the glove box along with BlueTooth support for hands-free talking. I also added two Boston Acoustics S85 6"x8" 2-way Speakers in the doors. Then I added a Sound Ordnance B-8PT Flat subwoofer under/behind the passenger seat to give it a little OOMPH, which really makes a difference when the top is down.
    Cool, congrats. Did you hire an installer?
  • hieushahieusha Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a late model Miata with PRHT and manual transmission. I ran into a 2009 soft-top model with less than 10K miles and 6-sp AT. The asking price is $18,999. Seems like the guy would go lower. I love driving with the manual, having owned 2 Miatas. How's the 6-sp AT? Thanks for any advice that you might have. -Hieu
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Sounds like a keeper of a car. Can't answer as to the six speed tranny vs. the five, as mine is only a five speed. I would wonder mostly as to why the guy wants to dump it already.
    That auto is so much better than the one that preceeded it. Plus the gearing is arguably better - taller 6th allows for quieter cruising than either manual.

There are 2 schools of thought:

1. Ain't no shame in it, now that the trans is actually good and has paddle shifters for the 6 ratios.

2. A Miata without a manual is sacreligious.

I'd avoid it only if you belong to the 2nd camp.
  • BirminghamBirmingham Member Posts: 12
    I have driven both AT and 6 speed manual and if you go with AT you will be giving up a lot of the driving experience the Miata was designed for. Consumer Reports said the Miata handles and drives like a Porche; and they were not testing the AT, :-)
    I agree, but....

Legroom is limited. With the auto you could remove the left leg rest (dead pedal) and if you're taller, you'd be more comfortable.

That's not what the Miata was meant for, if you want comfort buy a Buick, but still, it does broaden the appeal for those who want a roadster.
  • rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 16
    Hi my driver's side headlight (low-beam) just went out. I ordered a new pair (may as well replace both sides) and was trying to find a diagram of the assembly but my search-fu is weak.

Does anyone have a diagram of how to take one apart? I've replaced bulbs before (mazda pickup, daewoo lanos, etc...) but the 2006 Miata definitely has a tighter fit and a lot more parts to go through.

Or if you could recommend a book I could pick up from the library or even the local shop it would be great.

Thanks!
    Even the Miata.net garage has nothing on that. Hmm.
  • mstaevskimstaevski Member Posts: 4
    Here is what I got from ebay for my NC. It fits well and you don't have to dismount prior to covering the car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Miata-MX5-foldable-antenna-/171041907429?pt=Motors- _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d2e462e5&vxp=mtr