Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Which dealer was this? What lying b&^*#
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    North Austin dealer.

UPDATE: The Cruiser is working perfect still. I have no idea what could it caused the problem but looking at some service schematics the this fuse also feeds the back stop lights but I don't remember checking the lights before.

MG
  • 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    I have a 96 land cruiser using oil. no leaks but oil useage is @ one quart every 1500 miles. do i need to look at a valve or ring job
  • greek2greek2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 landcruiser. I have recently noticed there is moisture under the passenger side floormat after the vehicle has been driven for a while and heats up. It is not antifreeze so that knocks out the heater core. I opened the hood and noticed on the firewall where the AC condensor ( I assume it is the condensor) behind the firewall, noticed a little wetness against the firewall, like it is sweating. Could it be the water cannot escape from the condensor and is backing up under the passenger floorboard? Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    I think that's a good source to check out. Pull back the carpeting from the footwell area and check further.

These "leaks" can really be tough to track down sometimes! And check out the sunroof drain areas too

HTH
  • greek2greek2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help.
    Greek2
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Your evaporator is freezing up. Most likely is low on freon or your fan motor is not working.
  • davebardavebar Member Posts: 1
    I am need to replace my current SUV and no longer want car payments. I am looking 4 SUVS now in my price range. Land Rover Disco, Ford Expedition, Izusu Trooper and the land Cruiser. I want to spend about 6-7K total for the truck. I like the Disco best, but the reapir cost are insane. So, I am ruling it out. My next choice is the LC. But the ones in my price range have 130K+ miles on them (1994 to 1997). Just broken in from what I have read. Now, I can get a Trooper (1998 to 2001) with under 50K on it for the same money. I am torn...What should I expect from a 130K+ LC and what should I look for when looking?

Dave
    Dave:

Advice from a former Isuzu Trooper and current Land cruiser owner. Go for the Toyota Land cruiser provided all the service history has been documented. Get proof of all service including 90K and 120K service as these are critical. Don't waste your money on a TLC that has no documented service history as you will probably get hit with major repair down the road.

Troopers are good trucks and I liked mine. The problem is that they sold in low volumes and the model has been discontinued for a couple of years and getting parts are hard.
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2000 TLC and suddenly the frond and back windshield washers stopped working. My first guess is a broken fuse somewhere, but I do not know the location of this fuse. Anyone has any idea about its location or other possible problems? Thanks a lot in advance.
    More, if twisting the wiper stick, both wipers swing, but no fluid injected. The fluid is full.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Does the pump make noise when you activate it?
    It's back to work again when the weather is warmer. I guess the fluid was frozen. Very likely the technician did not use right fluid during regular maintanance.
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone know if there are aftermarket options to improve the handling of a 2006 Landcruiser. I am particularly displeased with the "floating" of this vehicle at highway speeds...the steering wheel gets very "light" at speeds over 55mph and it is a scary experience to shift lanes as the vehicle "wanders" during the transition....I drove the LX470 and the feel is completely different, much tighter and precise...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I put Old Man Emu shocks and springs on my '02 for just this reason. This option will give you a slight lift though. The LX 470 has adjustable shock settings.
    steelcruiser...

thanks.... does the fact that I have the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) create a problem for me in retrofitting a different set up? If that is what you mean by "shock settings". Even in the "sport" mode this thing corners on its door handles!
    The current Landcruiser with the adaptive suspension and LX share the same platform and suspension. so I am not sure how you like the LX but not the landcruiser. The power train and suspension are exactly the same !!
    I noticed a difference in feel when I drove the two within hours of each other. The LX had a firmer feel and had much less body roll in each and every of the four settings. When I asked the Lexus technician I was told that the LX has a firmer set up and varaible ratio steering that the Land Cruiser does not have. If he was lying to me then I need to make a call.
    LC has the variable ration steering from the 2003 model year.
    Thanks for the info.
    In General body on frame SUVs dont' handle as well as the unibody SUVs like RX, MDX, etc, etc. One of the problems with the unibody/car based SUVs is the lack of towing capacity and lack of off-road equipment like low range transfer case, high ground clearance, skid plates, etc. The only unit body SUV that gives you the space/towing capacity and offroad package is the Mercedes GL class. Handles great from the comments, reviews that I read and can tow 7500 lbs. The only concern I have with Mercedes in general is their quality and reliability ratings had hit rock bottom and it is too early to see how the GL class will hold up. Given that they cost about the same, I will probably get the LX or the Landcruiser.
    I did not realize that frame SUV's do not handle as well. I had always been told that a frame is better than the unibody for any number of reasons but that may be old thinking.
    To my knowledge, the newer LCs have height adjustment only as a suspension option. It that's true, you can check for the necessary travel in replacement shocks you're considering. Old Man Emu has different shocks to allow for sufficient travel.

OTOH, the LX suspension set up allows you to adjust the shock damping from inside the car. Thus, you can make the ride more firm. These are totally different shocks and I don't believe the LC has this set up. They are electronically controlled.

You can get adjustable shocks for the LC too, but they are adjustable externally and are pretty pricey as well.

It's odd to me that there aren't more suspension updgrades available here for the LC
    steel

I have both the adjustable height control and the shock dampening features on my 2006 Landcruiser. The shock dampening has four settings two comfort and two sport...even if I dial it all the way to the right (furthest sport mode setting) the vehicle still exhibits significant body roll. I do not expect a formula one race suspension but I'd like to travel winding roads through the hills without the body roll this vehicle has ....This adjustable shock system seems fairly anemic...I'd like to disconnect it and just improve the suspension to perform better and inspire more handling confidence. To be honest the handling feel is very sloppy on this Landcruiser.

ps I drove a stripped toyota highlander while on business in fla over the past few days and the handling, although not as "refined" (perhaps this is a buzword for sloppy handling), it was certainly tighter and more precise than the Landcruiser....not as sloppy and cushy...
    Didn't know the LC had the adjustable shocks as well. A couple of other thoughts for you then. Check for compatability with the Old Man Emu shocks, rear springs and stiffer torsion bars. Slee Off Road is one source.

The addition of stiffer rear springs and the OME shocks helped the ride on my '02 and eliminated the sloppiness and softness you refer to. However, I'm not sure just how firm and precise you want the suspension to be. These are after all fairly tall vehicles with high CGs, so you're not going to get a dramatic decrease in the body lean I don't expect. On the prior (80 series and earlier) LCs, suspension mods are much more straight forward with the coil over suspension, though most LC types are looking for increased clearance and suspension travel for off road.

Got any LC club chapters near you? Also, there's a yahoo group for the 100 series that might provide some additonal suggestions for you.

To be sure, even with my modded suspension, the LC doesn't corner like my Porsche does :)
    Thanks...I will look into this....I certainly do not expect this thing to corner like a sports car nor even a german made suv but the body lean I have experienced, in comparison to other suv's I have owned, makes snowy and slippery road handling average to poor .....I am not overly pleased with the handling even in inclement weather....the body roll pushes the vehicle into a turn making traction not as precise, when compared to a bit stiffer suspension.

thanks again
    An obvious thing I've over looked for you is tires. IMHO, the LCs are undertired a bit as well. The M/S tires (Mich, Bridge, Duns etc) that are OEM are fitted with mileage and ride comfort more of a priority I think. Most who buy LCs now are not aware of, or don't care about the off road capabilities it has. They're fantastic vehicles, but in the current form they need to be "pumped" up a bit to maximize their full potential. Really, these things with the right mods give away very little to the live axle LC wagons in off road capability.

You can add different sway bars and bushings to perhaps, However, thicker sway bars may affect wheel articulation.

I've been running BFG ATs for years on my LCs, one size over. On my '02 I"ve got 285s rather than 275s. Not only do they where far better (at least 60K per set) they offer better traction and stiffer, 3 ply sidewalls. Generally, this size fits with no issues on stock suspension (non-lifted) vehicles. I think the other suspension upgrades, plus a tire change will improve things to closer to what you're looking for.

Not cheap. Don't know where you live, but maybe some 4x4 shops in your area can help you out?

Sounds like you are trying to set this up for autocross events :shades:
    good point on the tires....these dunlop at23's would seem to be marginal at best for the capabilities of this truck...or so I have heard....I agree with you that tires can make a world of difference in the ride and handling characteristics...

tires will certainly be another item I will try...but no autocross for me...I just like an suv/off road vehicle to perform like one...not feel like a 1972 Chrysler Newport!!!
    Points well taken. The LC has transitioned to the luxury SUV side of the house I'm afraid and it take some tweaking and undoing to bring out the true capabilities again. Hate that they went to the 18 wheels. I think RR has 20s on some of theirs now. (Pretty sure the BFGs come in 285/65s)

The OEM tires wear almost as quickly as the rears on my Porsche (well not really, but they aren't that much better)

Kills me to see a LC with 22s or above.

The new FJ seems to have many more off road options available.

The LC is still the favorite (I beleive) in AUS etc, of course they have many other variations than we have. All in all, still the best vehicles I've ever owned. Never been stranded.

So no matter what else I have, I imagine I will always have a LC of some sort :)
    Does 2000' TLC have timing belts? Or a timing chain? Any idea on the cost for replaceing spark plugs at the 90K miles maintenance? Thanks.
    My 00' TLC's catalytic converter is broken at 86K miles. I heard some vehicles have 100K miles warranty on the exhaust system. Anyone knows if what kind of warranty TLC has on it? Any information will be highly appreciated.
  • 03cobra03cobra Member Posts: 37
    I seem to have an air leak(wind noise), with no indication of a water leak. Although it is hard to isolate, I think it is coming from the sunroof. Are there any adjustments that can be made to the sunroof?
  • zaxizaxi Member Posts: 5
    Maybe anybody had this problem:
    I own TLC-2000 and in the last 6 months my ABS are acting up.
    When I stop in a red light or stop sign and start slowly driving the ABS breaks are starting to work and I can't move. It doesn't happened everyday but it happened at least couple times a week.
    The Toyota dealer manager on Rt. 9 in NJ suck, and he told me the computer can't tell him what is the problem, I need to leave the car for few days and they will figure it.
    Anybody had this problem? Idea? Pump? sensor?
    Thank you for your suggestion?
  • c_williamsc_williams Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2000 LC I purchased brand new.

The dealer wants $415 for the 90K service, plus an additional $850 for the timing belt, plus another $800 to replace the starter (it's failing).

It seems to me that I'm getting double charged for labor. I know the starter is expensive because of the location. Shouldn't I get some savings because they are already doing the timing belt?

Thanks!
  • tapuouttapuout Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5L/V6, with 190,000, with a bad Oil Pan Gasket. Dealer wants $750 to repair. I would like to do myself, but am unsure exactly what to expect. If you have any advise, including special tools required, difficulty of job, etc. please provide. Thanks!
    Try to get a copy of the work shop manual. They have complete diagrams and denote when/if special tools are required.
  • jdeasjdeas Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Cruiser? I have a 1997 that is using the same amount - got about 150,000 miles. Isn't leaking outside the engine and isn't smoking at all.
  • cole9cole9 Member Posts: 1
    timing belt
    about $90 for the spark plugs alone-this truck takes some expensive plugs!
  • 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    I was told it would be around $4500 to $5000 for an engine rebuild. Apparently the rings were worn. I did not want to spend that kind of money for a fix for that old car, so I sold it. I couldn't stand the thought of having a car that burned oil. I have two Toyota Previas that have over 260,000 miles on them each with no leaks or oil burning. I don't know what happened to the Lexus LX450. Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of it.
    I wouldn't buy a use car if the previous owner cannot prove the service history. Any car without scheduled maintenance will not run for 250K miles.
  • twix_bartwix_bar Member Posts: 1
    hi guys, i bought a 1992 LC over the summer which has great milage of 50k. i bought it for the purpose of safety and durability but i haven't driven the car since i have stored it over the summer and i often use my rx lexus.

now i can't seem to start my engine and won't start. i didn;t have any propblems before i bought it. the old seller said it was in perfect condition.

have any good reasons.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It might be helpful if you described what you see and hear - or don't see and hear - when you try to start your LC.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Um, did you have it hooked up to a trickle charger to maintain the charge on the battery? Obvious reason, without any other details is that the battery's dead.
    Hello Folks,

My 00' TLC w/ 92K has a windshield leak and water entered fuss box at driver side which caused some malfunctions and unable to drive. The dealer said it's due to rust on upper edge of the windshield. I am wondering, since this rust cause driving problems, will 10yr/100K rust warranty will cover this? How should I argue with dealer about this?

Thanks a lot.
  • co_lc_ownerco_lc_owner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 LC with the brakelight out on the drivers rear. The bulb that is out is in the tailgate. I got the bulb from the dealer ($6) but I cannot figure out how to access??

Anyone know?
    Lower the tail gate, you'll see two screws adjacent to the tail light housing (above and below the latch mechanism). Loosen the screws, remove the housing, take out old bulb and put in the new one.

Many of these things are in the owner's manual

HTH
  • bryan8966bryan8966 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 TLC that just turned 100,00 miles. The other day while driving I lost power and heard a horrible noise from underneath the vehicle. I put it Park, it sounded fine, but when I went to try to put it in Drive there was a loud grinding screeching noise. I Called Toyota and had it towed in. Dealership called and said the back axle broke loose and shoved back into Wheel Hub and the transfer case. $5,000 bill to fix. I am very disappointed as my LC has been babied(no off roading) and all service done. I certainly didn't expect kind of breakdown from a LC. Anyone heard of this happening before and if so how did Toyota handle?

Thanks....
  • zaxizaxi Member Posts: 5
    I own TLC-2000 and mine truned 100K just couple weeks ago.
    I didn't like this broken axel story and the bill sound all wrong.
    in general I don't like dealership shops, I find them to be the worst (I am in Central NJ) A good garage is priceless. I would get an axel from junk yard and it will be 25-30% of this price.
    The only issue I had with my TLC was a starter that needed to be replaced.
    and the brakes problem.
    Good luck with getting something from the dealer on this 5K bill.
  • marnimmarnim Member Posts: 1
    The beast will not start hot. It has something to do with the power relay overheating because when you let it cool off for 10 minutes ... it starts. Anyone dealt with Power Relay issues on an older (ok ancient) Land Cruiser and if so, any tips on what the main causes of overheating were? Thank you x 1000
    Have you replaced your thermostat?