Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 350 XM and Sirius

Comments

• thaisharkthaishark Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if you have the antennae mounted inside or out?
    And for anyone else who have the antennae mounted on the back deck as opposed to the trunk mount, what part of the country do you live in?
    From reading above i see Lexus' recommendation is the trunk mount but i would prefer it mounted inside if there is not going to really be a reception issue.
    I live in the NE near Philadelphia.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Mine is mounted inside the back window on my ES350 - no problem with reception.

It's mounted next to the defroster vent on the dash on my 05 Avalon LTD - no problem with reception.

Used to live in D.C. area with antenna mounted inside back window in an ES300 - never a problem with reception.

If you want it mounted inside near the back window (or on the dash next to a defroster vent) just tell them to install it there and quit wringing your hands!!! If they say install instructions say you can't do it that way, have it installed elsewhere - it CAN be done and lots of people have done it...the dealer is just jerking your chain and wanting to have it his way!
  • dave4449dave4449 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback. Interesting. Is the issue at hand an example of "One hand not knowing what the other is doing" in the case of Lexus? Or, in the case of prospective buyers, is it an example of "It's better to have only one clock. With two or more clocks, you'll never know what time it is." Anyway, I'm planning on waiting several more months anyway before making a purchase. Even with Lexus's vaunted track record as being just about the most reliable automotive builder, I'm awfully leery about buying a new model early in the production cycle.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Lexus is probably following what XM has
    suggested is the best placement of the
    antenna. I have the Roady portable receiver
    which I play through the cassette player in
    my Maxima. I remember when reading the
    installation instructions from XM, they did
    recommend placing the antenna on the outside,
    either on the trunk, directly in the middle
    (I used to have mine installed on the trunk
    and it ended up causing a lot of scratches
    due to it being a magnetic antenna, and the
    car wash people would just swipe at it when
    drying the car off.) I have now moved it
    to the right front on the roof(by the right
    passenger door). No problems.

Anyway, I recall the XM installation
    instructions saying that installation of the
    antenna on the inside of the car, i.e, dash
    area, rear deck area would diminish
    reception. So that's probably why Lexus
    "insists" on this type of installation.
    But it's good to hear no one is having
    reception problems with their antenna
    installed inside.
  • tnfantnfan Member Posts: 18
    I had XM installed several weeks ago. The antenna is inside on the rear deck. I have had absolutely no reception issues. I am located in Nashville. I will be taking a trip to Atlanta next weekend and will see how it performs on the open road and in Atlanta. Got a feeling it will work just fine. :)
  • dp5dp5 Member Posts: 55
    My XM antennae was installed on the rear deck. My salesman said that this is where the dealership always installs them and they have had no reception difficulties. To be honest, I've never looked at the antennae so I am just assuming that they installed it where the salesman said it would go. It is so unobtrusive that you can't see it with normal use of the car. I know that it isn't on the trunk lid. I live in Houston, TX and no reception problems at all. Maybe it would be different in a rural area (less repeaters?) but I don't think so.
  • pjaypitpjaypit Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered the ES and had the same issue. I researched it and spoke to several dealers. This is a national issue and supposedly is due to people having reception problems with the factory installations. So they stopped installing Sirius in early June.Hard to believe Lexus can't figure this out. My Ford Explorer rental car had no trouble last week.

My resolution was a well done after market installation that sits right where the ashtray is. Only downside is that it is not as "clean" and integrated as a factory install would be. There is a possibility that they will solve this problem and if they do you can always have it installed later and the add on removed. Have the dealer agree to do this at cost - mine did. Good luck. If you need anything else, I'll try and help. This was almost a deal breaker - I've had Sirius for 18 months and love it.
    tnfan, I can tell you, there's nothing better
    than having satellite radio, whether it be
    XM or Sirius, for those nice, long trips.

I've been an XM member for over two years now
    and I've taken my XM Roady2 with me either in
    rental cars or my own car. It makes the
    trip go by even faster and it's just a joy!
    I get to listen to songs from "back in the
    day" that you couldn't even hear on regular
    radio "back in the day", maybe songs I used
    to hear in the clubs. The only minor
    downside is when I rent a car, which usually
    has no cassette player, I have to use the
    wireless function. There's no comparison,
    because with the wireless, you have to tune
    in to a station that has no competition with
    a local station, and you end up getting
    interference. But with the cassette adapter,
    it's fabulous, no interruption, crisp, clear
    sound.

I couldn't imagine going on any road trip
    without my XM Roady. I do think that the
    auto dealers should give us a choice of the
    XM or Sirius. I don't care for the ones that
    only permit one or the other to be installed
    in the car. Anyway, XM Rules!
    Zekeman, where did you get your satellite
    radio installed? Also, where did they put
    the antenna for the satellite radio? Thanks.
    XM installed by the dealer, integrated into the unit and the antenna is inside the rear window of the car next to the third light. See pix of it in My CarSpace which I posted yesterday.
  • cablondebluecablondeblue Member Posts: 72
    Is Sirius available at the dealership? The salesman I am looking at colors with, told me that Sirius is available and they can install it for me. (I think he is just telling me anything I want to hear to get me in to buy a car.)

I have Sirius radio at home and XM in another car. From listening to both, I prefer Sirius. (Buzzsaw-Classic Rock and the Strobe-Classic Disco) LOL! Maybe XM has added some channels since I have last listened but it seemed to have all these songs I have never heard before.

I could always install Sirius aftermarket but like you said, it doesn't look clean.

If XM is the only one installed by the dealer, I will just have to just boogie down at home. :P
  • thaisharkthaishark Member Posts: 19
    My understaniding is that Sirius is NOT being offered at this time by Lexus because of issues trying to get the headunit to mate properly with Sirius. Perhaps at some point they will get whatever the issue resolved is and it will be offered again. If the dealer is telling you they can do Sirius i think he is either uninformed or more likely as you stated just telling you anything to buy, and then after the contract is done... oh, Lexus is not offering Sirius anymore, sorry.
  • alien2alien2 Member Posts: 33
    Hi, just wondering if your 350 has the power rear sunscreen. I don't think that I see it in your pics. Thanks
    I've seen several pics with the antenna located inside the car on the back lid. Has anyone had it mounted there that also has the power rear shade? Also, I believe I've heard that it could be mounted inside the trunk lid (right under where most dealers say you have to place it). Thanks
    I have the power rear shade - placement of the antenna doesn't interfere with it.

I believe I've heard that it could be mounted inside the trunk lid (right under where most dealers say you have to place it).
    Uhhh, stop and think about that now. If it's inside the trunk, how is it going to get a signal?? If someone told you that, you need to ask them what color the sky is in their world....
  • tnfantnfan Member Posts: 18
    "Hi, just wondering if your 350 has the power rear sunscreen. I don't think that I see it in your pics. Thanks "

Yes I have the power sunscreen and no it does not interfere with the operation of the sunscreen. :)
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is the antenna fixed or just laying on the rear deck lid?
    There is about 1" of wire which comes out of the 3rd light with the antenna at the end of it. It appears to be laying to the side of the light. The antenna is nothing more than a VERY small black square about 1.5" square - it's extremely small. How it's fixed does not matter since it probably only weighs an ounce or two, so it's not going to roll anywhere. The one which came with my install appears to be much smaller than others I've seen; I asked my install guy if he had gotten a smaller one for me and he replied that it is the one in the Lexus XM kit, no different. But it is smaller than the ones I've seen on the trunk lid :( of some of the 350's I've seen around town. The one which came with my Avalon was so big and ugly on my trunk lid I took it in the next day, had it removed, got a Terk micro-mini antenna and had them put it inside the car--worked great and it was virtually invisible.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have it installed on the rear deck lid. Thanks for your input, Ed.
  • carlady2carlady2 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks pjaypit. I had called Lexus customer service and they are/were supposed to get back to me by the end of this week. If they don't my dealer is going to hear about it next week, for sure. I want to see what remedy they suggest but for me also, had I known prior, i may have waited to get the car, silly as that might sound.....I miss Sirius on the long drives I take.
  • carlady2carlady2 Member Posts: 7
    That's correct. No Sirius now even though as of last week, the webstire said it would be avialble this summer. Unless summer is a season that extends in to fall, I am doubtful since they have no idea if and when it will be avialable. They claim some people were unhappy with the reception so they discontinued. I find it all very misleading and disappointing.
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    The dealer quoted me $650 for the XM radio and it's installation. So I called Circuit City, they quoted me $150 for the same.I wonder is this a cheaper unit of Xm at Circuit City? If someone knows would they give me the comparison. Also the Lexus Dealer will put this ugly 1by1 inch plastic antenna on the trunk lid of this beautiful Crystal White 2007 ES 350.
    Do not let your dealer put the antenna on the outside of your trunk. Most dealers are installing the antenna on the inside rear deck where it is virtually unnoticeable and the reception is still fine. After having my XM installed, I was looking for the antenna and could not even find it on the rear deck lid. I asked the salesman where it was installed and he told me they installed it "on top of the radio unit inside the car". I don't know quite what this means but the reception is fine except for parking garages and the antenna is invisibly installed somewhere in the electronics of the car. Also, installed price was $595. You could probably get it elsewhere for less but I trusted the dealership to do a good job.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info. Could you provide me with the dealer's name and location. I'm still having some difficulty here in northern VA. I would like to send them directly to one of their dealers. Thanks, Alien.
    The dealership that I purchased my car from is Westside Lexus in Houston, TX. From reading the posts on this subject, I can tell you that many dealers put the antenna on the rear deck lid. If you'll do a search, you'll even find some pictures of the placement. If you can't find it in the ES 350 forum, look in the GS 300 forum. I'm sure it is there. You could print a picture and bring it to your dealership for confirmation.
    Thanks for the info. You are right, they want to put it on the rear deck lid (just an invitation for someone to mess with it). Am I correct in understanding from you original post that the antenna was installed inside the car? Thanks, alien
    Yes. Many (most?) dealerships install the antenna inside the car on the rear deck near the 3rd brake light. In this position, the antenna is unobtrusive. You can't see it while you drive and it gets great reception. This is where my dealership typically puts them. Again, do a search for XM antenna in this thread or the GS 300 and you'll see some nice pics that people have taken.

In my car, I'm not sure where the antenna is installed. It certainly isn't on the trunk and its not even visible on the rear deck near the 3rd light. I asked my salesman and he said that sometimes they are installing them "on the unit itself". I'm not positive but I think mine is inside the car on either the radio or the XM unit. Wherever it is, you can't see it at all and it gets good reception.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Anyone else besides me who bought a non-XM equipped ES 350 and is pondering getting the factory XM module after the fact? I ask because there is an online vendor (www.lexus-parts.com) that's selling a complete factory XM radio kit (p/n 86100-0W190-01--includes the receiver, antenna, and parts needed for install) for $299 plus shipping. The vendor's web site even has instructions for installing the XM kit--albeit the instructions are for installation on an IS 350 but I reckon the wiring/mounting points are similar on the ES 350.

The install seems fairly straight-forward considering that the entire installation takes part solely in the rear trunk area (i.e., no need to pull the nav unit, run wires anywhere other than within the trunk itself, etc.). If indeed the p/n I stated will work on an ES 350, I may very well pull the trigger on it. Some of you may say that it's better to purchase/install the unit at the dealer so that you could get full warranty coverage for it--however, I could be wrong but since the unit would have been purchased/installed after vehicle purchase, it would not receive the same 4 yr/50K mile warranty as the rest of the vehicle...so the "advantage" of purchasing/installing it at the dealer so as to get full factory warranty coverage on it is a non-issue.

Obviously, if you're not mechanically-inclined when it comes to installation of electronics, then this might not be the best deal for you...but if you are, then $299 is pretty hard to beat for factory XM on an ES 350.
    i.e., no need to pull the nav unit, run wires anywhere other than within the trunk itself, etc

I don't see how you can install it without getting into the radio itself to make the wiring connection(s). The radio is pre-configured for the satellite receiver, so I would think you would have to get to the back of it to connect the plug. The receiver is mounted on the inside of the trunk, behind the trunk covering - that part is easy. But going into the dash...I leave that up to the dealer - they screw it up, they fix it at their expense, not mine.

The $299 price is excellent.
    http://www.lexus-parts.com/IS_XM.pdf

The harness from the XM receiver unit plugs into the amp; if the amp is located up front (or anywhere else other than the rear trunk), then your argument holds water...otherwise, I stand by my statement that the install takes place entirely within the trunk area, based on the install PDF link I provided above. Again, I did mention that the install instructions were for an '06 IS250/350 but I'm willing to bet the audio wiring is similar between the new IS and ES. ;)
    Sounds like you've got it all worked out - you haven't bought/installed it yet? :)
    $299 is still $299...plus I would like some assurance that the p/n for that install kit is indeed valid for install on an ES 350. I guess at worse, I could always resell it to an IS 250/350 owner looking for factory XM. ;)
    Have you tried calling your local Lexus dealer & asking their parts department the part number for the unit which goes into the 07 ES350? Seems that would be the most logical and accurate way of finding out!
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    Does anyone know the code you need to activate the free trial offer with the purchase of XM in a new Lexus? My dealer failed to give me the code, and I don't want to wait until he gets back to me with it.
    Might be unique to your sale or the specific unit... :confuse:
    Possibly. I know you have to have a Lexus-specific unit, not one you bought somewhere else.
    Larrymit, I had the XM installed on my '07
    RX350 through the Lexus dealership, and I just put the radio dial on 00 on the satellite channel, and that should give the numbers for your code which would come up on the radio screen that you will need to call in and activate. Good Luck! Satellite radio rocks!!!

And if that doesn't work, Lexus should be able
    to pull the unit out, as it has the code on
    the unit, and that should be at no cost to you
    to do that. Good luck, again!!!
    The XM my Lexus dealer installed in my ES works great except the volume is significantly lower than the other sources (FM/CD, etc). Is there a level adjustment on the XM tuner that would let my dealer increase the output of the XM so that its volume would match the other sources?
  • jagjoshjagjosh Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my ES 350 UL w/ ML and--since I much prefer Sirius over XM--I put my Sirius plug and play receiver in the center console using the auxillary port. The antenna is on the center of the trunk near the rear window. For whatever reason, when i listen to Sirius I hear a high pitched sound that seems to get higher in pitch the more I accelerate. Although the sound isnt loud per se, it is making dogs crazy everywhere I drive. Has this happened to anyone else and, if so, what's the fix?
    Could be:

1) Faulty auxillary port (perhaps loose ground wire that is wired to the port);

2) Faulty cable that you're using to connect your Sirius receiver to the aux port (it could be poorly shielded, thus picking up external electrical interference).

3) Plug at the end of cable isn't making a tight connection in the aux port (i.e., plug goes into aux port a wee bit too loosely)

Best of luck in finding out the issue...hopefully it's an easily-resolvable one!
  • chocogirlchocogirl Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard if/when XM NavTraffic capability will be offered on the ES 350? According to XM.com web site, this feature is currently available on the LS 460 and 600 models with HDD Nav.
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    I would like to know if anyone else with XM in their ES350, has had this happen to them.When I started the car in the morning. I then turned on the radio.The audio coming from the XM was intermitant and garbled.This went on for 10 seconds or so.Then nothing , no audio.The read out for the artist and song playing was there, but no audio.The am and fm worked fine , but no xm.But when I stopped the car and turned it off. I then turned the car back on.I then turned the xm back on the xm worked fine.I contacted the Lexus service department. I explained the problem to the service manager.He told me that this will occur with xm from time to time.He said all you have to do is turn the car off. This resets the XM part of the radio.Now this problem with no audio on the xm has happened to me twice. I have had the car since July 19th.So, has anyone else had this happen to them?
    Never happened to me and it's usually on XM about 80% of the time. Sounds like maybe the service guy is handing you a line.
  • billccsibillccsi Member Posts: 4
    Is there a Sirius radio for the ES 350? My dealer keeps saying it is not yet available, but it's been a year.
    You'll need the ESN that is on a bar code label that should be attached to the user manual for the XM unit.

When you enter the ESN to register, you will automatically get the free trial.
    I have the same issue. Sirius support suggest a noise suppressor on the plug wires.

I haven't done it. Doesn't bother me enough to worry with it.
  • meadoelmeadoel Member Posts: 18
    I bought an XM this week and I have the same problem. The noise is loud enough that the unit is unuseable.

I know the cable is good because I use it for my ipod all the time. XM says to get a line noise surpressor too.... or to get the plug fixed as it's got a loose ground wire.

Has anyone solved this?
  • vscott1vscott1 Member Posts: 1
    In response to the post asking if Sirius was available on the ES, since buying my ES 350 in August I'd wanted Sirius - not XM. My dealer (North Hills Lexus just outside of Pittsburgh) explained the problems with reception and the hold on the product. Last week (4/18/07) my dealer told me Sirius is now available and he has ordered it for me. It should be in shortly. Yeah!
  • tliebmantliebman Member Posts: 5
    I had XM installed in my ES350 in March, and my trial is about to end. They attached the antenna to the inside of the rear window near the center stop light, because I did not want it on the trunk lid. I must turn up the volume alot compared to AM or FM, and I've seen other posts about this. However, reception cuts out more than I think is acceptable. It seemed to get worse when the leaves on the trees filled out, and any kind of valley is trouble. The sound quality is also not nearly as good as FM, CD, or even AM for most stations. I took the car from St. Louis to Nashville a couple of weeks ago and was dissapointed in reception. Does this sound familiar? My dealer said they checked with XM about the antenna working from the inside.
  • crawncrawn Member Posts: 1
    My ES350 is only at 2,500 miles. It's a wonderful car, except for the lousy and inexpensive radio set up for a luxury car. Shame on me for not doing better research, so I'm really upset with myself. The Premuim Radio with Nav is marginal at best - whether FM or CD - actually Ipod is not bad. On top of that the XM Satellite (dealer installed) is ridiculously poor quality. So, I certainly agree with post 102 and also 33. I love the XM Satellite on my GMC Yukon (standard radio). I expected the same or better. Imagine my surprise at how poor the sound quality it is. Some posts imply better quality with the ML, so am really sorry that I didn't get that, if even for FM, CD, etc.

As to antenna location, I'm on the trunk. With my Yukon's antenna on the roof, I have a pretty good idea of how the two locations compare for pick-up. Bottom line, I have no problems with pick-up on the ES350 and it might even be a touch better than the Yukon but neither is a problem. Thank goodness for small miracles (and no tranny flair at least for now)

Got to go. I need to find out how to email Lexus with a huge complaint.