Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX35 Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited August 2014 in INFINITI
Please report on your FX35 mileage in this discussion. Please include city/highway, odometer, driving style or similar comments that you think may be helpful. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Comments

• fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    My average is 18.5-19mpg with mixed driving, 75% freeway and 25% city. This is without the AC.
  • atfryaratfryar Member Posts: 30
    In my first two weeks and one tank of gas I averaged 18.8 mpg, about 50/50 highway and back roads... AC was on, windows/sunroof open most of the time too.

2006 fx35 AWD
  • tnticotntico Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 with the big 20's for wheels and I average 18.5mpg on the interstate usually with the ac on and the cruise on 80mph. In town I get about 15mpg.
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I have around 4,400 on the odo and we seem to be settling in around 17.8 MPG with a 25mi each way, back-country road commute with the AC on.

My husband likes to drive it a bit harder, so when I get my car back it was usually down to 17.6 until he realized if he turned the AC off he could still get 17.8 and drive like a maniac.

I am hoping to see the 18 MPG range after the engine breaks in a bit more...
    It is all part of the fun of owning an FX35, just as long as he does not hurt anyone. I usually drive this car, but the one time my wife drives it she got a speeding ticket. She told me she did not even realize how fast she was going since it is quiet in the cabin compare to our old 4-cylinder car going at 80mph.
  • roncoronco Member Posts: 6
    Do you guys really feel like AC usage makes a difference? I had always heard that it did, but I read an article recently that cited this idea as one of the five most common fuel efficiency myths.
    Doesn't the rpm goes up once you turn on your AC to maintain a certain speed or you have to depress the gas pedal slightly more. Do you not notice that or is it just me :D
  • coolguy8157coolguy8157 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 03 FX35 AWD Tech, Touring, Sports and I get 22 mpg on the freeway with cruise set at 68. For 50% freeway and 50% City I get 19 mpg..I'm very easy on gas and do not accelerate too hard...All with AC on about 30% of the time.
    :)
    Has anyone has the Tornado in their air duct and/or the K&N filter in their car? The manufactures claim that you can obtain a few more miles per gallon with the use of these after market parts. Thanks in advance. :)
  • coolguy8157coolguy8157 Member Posts: 29
    I dont have neither..but I will be installing K&N Air filter in my next service.
    thanks! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • xratedfxxratedfx Member Posts: 1
    i have a 05 fx35AWD w/ touring and sport package and it saying that im only getting between 11-12 mPG IN THE CITY..LOOKING AT THE OTHERS REPLY I THINK MINES HAS A PROBLEM (I HAVE 23K ON THE TRUCK) I NEVER GOT ANYTHING HIRE THAN THAT IN THE CITY...ALSO DOES I LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY, SO IF ANYONE HAS ADVICE ON THE SUBJECT PLEASE INFORM ME..
  • jbmccoy205jbmccoy205 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the car since it was released 3/20/03. I've been through 4 SETS OF TIRES 75000 miles....and my computer says avg. 15.8 miles...........makes me sick but the wife loves it....Hope this helps :lemon:
  • mcwenzelmcwenzel Member Posts: 37
    In hilly San Francisco I get about 11.5 miles per gallon. On the highway, I get about 21.5. The mileage is very disappointing.
  • robhobsonrobhobson Member Posts: 3
    2004 FX 35, 18.3 ave mpg, mostly (country) highway, 65mph, with a/c
  • woozzhwoozzh Member Posts: 2
    My Nissan mechanic is a speed freak and maintains my 300ZX t/t. He said the Nissan filter is the same as K&N There is a material sprayed on the comb that is on both.

He would do anything that would give me 1/2hp addition. The torando is as bad as the extended warranty on a oven. Nothing to it, he said.

Anybody got a problem with that?
  • gafx35gafx35 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an FX35. Love the car. The original factory epa mpg is between 16 and 21 mpg. I didn't buy the car for fuel economy purposes. As long as the actual nbrs are close, that's good enough for me.
  • flzzflzz Member Posts: 19
    i have 1900 miles and last tank got me 20.9 m/gal prem. 386 mi. mix of hghwy-city . after 5000 i will post again
  • oneiljhoneiljh Member Posts: 4
    Short trips for 2 weeks only in the city and my mpg drops to single digits. Using the medium grade gas.
    at 5000 miles i have not filled my tank (prem) that i did not avg at least 20.7 mpg
    this is awd mix of city/hghwy. rated 15cty 20hghwy im pleasently surprised !
    note i didnt buy this for its fuel millage
    at 10,000 mi. again, no less than 20.7 mpg per tank. this is w/ 89-93 octane;never 87, cant tell difference (mpg) for mid-grade or high test.
  • jayrandalljayrandall Member Posts: 81
    I have a 2006 RWD FX35 with Touring and Sports packages. I am in Chicago and drive 5 miles round trip to my office everyday. I live downtown. In the city, I get horrible mileage. 8-10 miles per gal. But on the highway, I have done as well as 22 mpg.
  • rladerrlader Member Posts: 1
    Fizz said he uses 89-93 octane, never 87. Ethanol raises octane in fuel. Distributors that mix 10% ethanol in regular sell it as regular (87) and as plus (89). Same gas two prices. So check and see if it really does have 10% ethanol the octane is greater than 87. I check on the industry and they can sell a higher octane as a lower octane but not a lesser at a higher octane it is called fraud. I do not have the math but somebody should be able to provide it. :shades:
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I average about 18+ in and around town. On two long highway trips I've averaged about 23+.
  • squishles10squishles10 Member Posts: 45
    I'm averaging 19.5 in the city and about 23 on the highway. I rarely have the windows down and 50/50 split on the AC. The reason I think these numbers are high is I use the DS mode to force a higher gear when cruising. There's no reason to be in 5th gear driving 60 down the highway so I pop it into 7th. For general city driving I leave it in D.

Also the myth about the AC is the rpms are higher with the AC but the drag is much worse with the windows down. Ideal would be no AC, windows up but that also requires a perfect outside temp and sun conditions. Haven't seen it yet :-)
  • msfurmsfur Member Posts: 17
    I am in a car Iove, the Cadillac SRX ,but it has been in the shop for repairs 24 times in 36 months.As the warranty is about to end, I am looking at cars, all CPO.
    Do you think it is too big a change to leave the SRX for an FX? Will I miss the comfort/smooth ride? The size?
    I like to keep a car a long time, but with the repair record of what I am in, feel forced to get out before I am hit with all of the service bills, and am a bit lost!
    I love the looks of the FX, but haven't driven one yet. Along with the Acura, I am also considering the Mercedes ML.
    Thanks in advance for any opinions.
  • josephyjosephy Member Posts: 14
    Interesting post, as I currently own a 2004 FX 35 and my wife used to own an SRX. Bought both new. They are two very different crossovers.

The FX has been a great vehicle. I often felt the SRX floated a bit, but that's not a characteristic of the FX. Sometimes it can have a bit of a stiff ride, but the AWD is outstanding. The ride is best described as 'tight.' It can be a nice driving car when you push it. Very recognizable and wonderful exhaust note.

Speaking of sound, get the upgraded sound system. I wouldn't bother with the GPS unless you really need it. The dash can get a bit busy.

The heated front seats are very comfortable and have a nice memory feature. Transmission is strong and the car has been virtually pain free, with the exception of the brakes and a headlight issue, which have been fixed.

Brakes are probably the biggest disappointment on the vehicle, but a new set of rotors will take care of most problems. It's a heavy vehicle and most drivers throw them around a bit, hence the terrible gas mileage (put it in SNOW and here comes single digit MPG).

The new ones are pretty pricey, so if you can find a nice used one, give it serious consideration.
  • msfurmsfur Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your posting, very helpful, I am still in the SRX and still shopping around.
    At the very other far end of the spectrum, I also seem to like the Ford Flex. Odd, I know!
    Thanks again.
    Update,w/25,000 miles my avg. on this tank is 21.6. I can't remember it ever being less than 20mpg. This is a mix of highway/city. I can totally understand the lower readings as this car can run like a raped ape! Each tank full has at least 2 occasions of banging this thing thru the gears to north of 100. The thing gets looks like no other SUV in the Akron/Canton area.
  • wolfie1wolfie1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2008 Fx35 AWD sport - In the summer, I get around 19 mpg on my average tank (mostly highway), but the last month, my mileage has dropped to around 17.8, with even a 100% highway trip, only getting 18.5.

I attribute this difference to the "winter gas" they sell us in the Northeast (I think it's Ethanol based these days, after they banned MTBE).

I run 87 octane.

Anyone else notice the difference? has it occurred to anyone else, that 10% ethanol, almost a 5% reduction in mileage, so more it burned, has to be shipped to stations, etc - does it really do anything net positive for anything but corn farmers?
  • plaaaaaneplaaaaane Member Posts: 32
    I believe virtually everyone recognizes ethanol as simply another way to throw hundreds of millions of taxpayer or borrowed dollars out the Washington window.

The 2010 specifies 91 octane; are you running on 87 counting on the octane increase of ethanol or were the 2008s an 87 octaneengine?

And remember, the mileage hit on the ethanol portion of your gallon is just that: if you have 10% of a gallon be ethanol, and the penalty is 5% mileage, it's only a 5% penalty on 10% of your gallon. The other 90% of your gallon will get full mileage. So if you got 20 mpg on gas, you would get 18 miles on the 90% of the gallon that is gas, and you would get 1.9 more miles (instead of 2) for a total of 19.9 miles per gallon on that gallon which is 10% ethanol.

Unless of course the ethanol screws up the performance of the gas it is mixed with in which case I am stupid and should be ignored.
This discussion has been closed.