Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lemon Law Questions

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    I'm still confused here. You were the one who posted a while back about having already received a $4500 cash settlement from volvo ealier in the lease. You have $3k in payments left. So you are already $1500 ahead of the game. I'm not sure what more you want/need from Volvo.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kibslibkibslib Member Posts: 10
    Yes this is true. I settled out of court for $4500 and signed a release agreement. It was my mistake to not pursue the Lemon Law back then because this car really is a Lemon. I want all my money back but that isn't going to happen so now I am trying to cancel my lease agreement.
  • Options
    OK. But my point is, you've made it this far. You want $3k to end the lease ... but they paid you that and more. So you use $3k of that $4500 to end your lease and you still have $1500 for the next vehicle. Seems good to me.

To be perfectly honest, it sounds to me like you are trying to "double-dip." They have effectively bought out your lease, but, for some reason, you don't see it that way. I'm not sure why. I apologize if I am missing something, but this is how it is coming across ... at least to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I know I wouldn't feel right at all. But Volvo is supposedly bringing in their best of their best to inspect my car for a week. Is there anyway I can get Volvo to guarantee my car is proper working condition before they give it back to me? If they can't guarantee this, can I demand that I want my lease terminated?

You can't demand anything.
    You already got money from Volvo, they aren't going to give you anymore.
  • Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    What did you do with the $4500? You could have used it to trade out the day they gave it to you.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm sure the car already shows all your repairs in Carfax so any future buyers would see that.

As other posters said you've already been make whole on the car, and then some. Why not stick it out or trade it in now?

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    Ya know, funny thing is I replied with this same thought back on Jan 1st when this poster first presented this "problem," and received no reply from him/her. He/she didn't post again till now almost 4 weeks later with the same "problem." My guess is I won't receive a response this time, either.

• Options
    duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    Why would Carfax show all of the repairs to his car? Are you talking only accidents? I've never seen something in carfax that would have been taken care of via the warranty.
  • Options
    I have seen repairs listed in carfax, usually listed as "in for dealer service repair".

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    That is very interesting - thanks for responding!
  • Options
    oysterpoysterp Member Posts: 3
    my 2003 Honda Civic is clearly a lemon - at 40,000miles, i have had to replace motor mounts, and now a "throttle body positioner" (for 530bucks) - my car stalled out in the middle of a canyon in LA. And i had just had it 's 40K checkup 4 weeks before. 7 days after the "checkup" my battery died. I have friends with honda that have over 200,000 miles on them and they've never had to replace these parts.
    I am struggling with Honda to pay me back for the repairs. I clearly got a lemon. what do I do? and How do I get them to pay up? ad how do I get another car? i went with Honda because I thought they were great and lasted forever with no problems.
    any help for this ex-new yorker, car newbie would be appreciated. thanks.
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You are joking, right?

A 5 year old car, with two parts required and a battery?

If you are not joking - where is the complaint?

Or, maybe you are a New Yorker with nothing but subways and busses in his past.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    according to the consumer information book that came with my car it states
    the lemon law in both Ca and NY is basically the same
    the problem is unresolved after so many attempts to fix it and it started within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles (whichever occurs first). In other words you are out of luck.
    My mom owns a 1998 honda accord, bought new. It now has 70,000 miles on it. Due to going alot of very short drives in traffic it had it's brakes replaced 4 times, a/c replaced, power door motor replaced, radio replaced twice along with the normal service (battery, tires, belts) She loves the car.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    "...I went with Honda because I thought they were great..."

Are you sure it's a Honda? Maybe they sold you a Ford and just told you it was a Honda. Hondas never break down and never need repairs. You don't even need to put gas in them as they all have tiny little oil wells in the trunk.

Next time avoid drinking the kool-aid and research here on Edmunds first. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Yup contrary to popular belief, Hondas can and do break. The repairs you had to do are well outside the Lemon Law period and in addition they've only had to repair them 1x. I'm a NYer as well, and unfortunately there is nada you can do about it except to repair it, sell it and get a new car. :(

-mike
  • Options
    Are you sure it's 60k? I am pretty sure everything after 2000 or so went to 105k timing belt replacement intervals due to the CARB warranty law?

-mike
  • Options
    Yeah you could be right, my knowledge comes from subies and when the CARB law changed in 2000 they increased the timing belt interval to 105k miles to match that.

-mike
  • Options
    OK, so I have an update on my car. I did retain a lawyer (as I previously posted), and I believe it helped out a great deal. I have completed a settlement with the manufacturer, and as you can imagine, I can only give out limited information, but I'll post what I can to try and help others.

First of all, “lemon laws” vary by state. There is also a federal Moss Warrantee law (or a similar name). Before taking any advice in an internet forum, make sure to read your own state’s laws.

I went with the lawyer since the manufacturer was only attempting repairs on my vehicle, and would not go any further than that when I complained to their national headquarters/customer service. My state’s time limit on lemons was 18 months, so I obtained a lawyer. I went with a national firm with a state presence thinking that I would rather use a firm with prior success in this area and that the local lawyer could follow their processes, use their negotiators, etc. There was no fee upfront, the overall fee (if 100% successful) was 1/3 of the settlement AFTER discounting the value of my car from the overall settlement. I could stop the process at any time and walk away without owing anything. My goal was to get rid of the car, pay off my loan, and get my down payment back. The firm was able to accomplish this plus additional money for maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc, so I am a very happy camper with the exception that I waited years to buy the car and wanted it very badly.

My cars problems in general terms over 14 months:

Electrical: 5 times in shop before fixed.
    Engine: 7 times in shop, never fixed (but car was still drivable)
    Other: 4 times in shop, never fixed.
  • Options
    The process once the lawyer was involved was essentially this (paraphrased):

Lawyer -> Manufacturer: The car is a lemon, this list of repairs states it is a lemon, we want total buy back (plus items listed above) and lawyer’s fees

Manufacturer -> Lawyer: The car is operating normally and is still under warranty. Your client should contact his dealer if any warranty repair items are necessary.

L -> M: The car is a lemon, this list of repairs states it is a lemon, we want total buy back (plus items listed above) and lawyer’s fees – if you do not agree by X date, we will file in the state’s court system under X law.

M -> L: Here is $X000.00 for your client if he agrees not to file. He keeps the car, the warranty is still intact, lawyer’s fees are included in the $x000.00. (This number was about 1/5 of my down payment – I don’t think my actual down payment ever came up in the negotiations, but I am providing the estimate as gaining it back was my personal goal.) I will share that the offer was a low number and my down payment was about 25% of the car’s price.

My response through my lawyer: No.

Lawyer files suit.

M -> L: We reserve our right for one last repair attempt. (This right is in my state’s “lemon” law, although even if they are successful I can still go through with my case). An appointment was made, a mechanic from outside of the area flew in, and the same repair attempts that never worked previously were attempted on the car. The current problems weren’t fixed.

L -> M: Repairs didn’t work, same demands given

M -> L: Same offer made

L -> M: No

M -> L: Same offer plus we pair lawyer fees. A lengthy court dispute could take 1.5 to 2 years.

My response through my lawyer: No. I own 3 cars and have 2 drivers in my house. I don’t care how long this takes; I don’t need to drive this car.

L -> M: my statement plus original demands.

M -> L: We agree to your terms. Appointments made, money exchanged hands, car returned. Car will have a marked title going forward; I can’t give out the specific information of my case.

Sorry for the long post, but I know how much I looked for information when I started this process, so I wanted to share.

End result was after the huge pain in the behind for all the repairs, etc, I got my down payment back plus a couple thousand more. I am still sorry I just didn’t get a good car in the first place, but I’m glad I took the action that I did.
  • Options
    exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I have an ’07 Honda Odyssey that I bought in January of ‘07.

Last summer the brakes became really soft. The first time, they adjusted the brake pedal, which didn’t do a thing. Before I took it in for the second time, I called Honda customer service and they scheduled an appointment with DPSM(?) District Parts and Service manager. They replaced the master cylinder and the ABS modulator. That didn’t fix the problem. Before the third time, a lawyer sent Honda the “last chance” letter. They cannibalized two different vans, completely replaced the brakes and finally flushed them. That fixed the problem.

Eight months latter the brakes are getting softer again. They are not as bad as they were last summer, but they are getting softer. As a matter of fact, when the van is parked for an hour or so, I can press the brakes down to about 2.5 inches off the floor, and I can hear the air coming out the brake line. After I press the brakes a few times they get really firm.

My lawyer is willing to pursue this case. According to him Honda will pay all the legal fees if he wins, and he doesn’t get paid if he looses.

I have a couple of questions. Do I have a good case? Can there be any consequences to me from Honda if I loose? In other words, can Honda retaliate against me in any way, like not fixing stuff under warranty? Can you give me any reasons why I shouldn’t go ahead with this case?
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It's not our place to opine whether you have a good case - that's for your lawyer to determine. It does seem to me though that you'll need to take it in again first - it sounds like an easy fix.

As far as retaliation if you lose - possible but not likely.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply.

The deed is done, I signed all the paperwork and mailed back to the lawyer.

Why do you think I’ll have to take it in again? Honda had three attempts and the “last chance” letter. Under VA lemon law for safety items such as brakes and steering, the manufacture is entitled to only one attempt.
  • Options
    It sounds as though they fixed the problem eight months ago and now it may have returned OR something else has arisen. It seems to me that the fact that they haven't even looked at the latest problem could give them some wiggle room.

But, then again, I know nothing whatsoever about Virginia statues or case law.

Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    As the previous poster said, I don't have intimate knowledge of the VA lemon law, but here in NY, if the problem was fixed, the clock starts all over again. As you stated above, the problem was in fact fixed.

If VA is like NY, you will have zero case and this will be yet another frivolus(sp?) lawsuit as we americans love to sue people. Why not give em a chance to fix it again? It should be a fairly simple fix, most likely the check-valve or vaccum line.

-mike
  • Options
    For VA laws it doesn't matter if they fixed it or not - the clock starts at time of purchase and goes for 18 months. If you are in the arbitration process within the 18 months, the clock can be extended, but only to continue the complaint in court. It is still best to file prior to the end of the 18th month if you want to go through with the lawsuit.

Also for VA law, the car could be considered a lemon if it was in the shop for 30 or more days total, has a serious safety defect, or has had 3 attempts to repair the same defect regardless if it was eventually fixed or not. If it was fixed, you have to show how it would impact the resale value or safety of the car. That said, qualifying as a lemon under the law and winning a court case are two different things.

Duke
  • Options
    First of all, if the clock starts again, then the lawyer would not have taken the case, He doesn’t get paid if he looses.

The brakes were fine when I bought the van; they became soft after 6 months. It took three attempts and the “last chance” letter to fix the problem. In those attempts, they replaced the Master Cylinder, ABS Modulator, all four brake lines, calipers, rotors and pads. If it was a simple fix, they would have fixed the problem the first time. Now eight months later the brakes are soft again. Do you see the pattern? It’s a design problem with 07 Odyssey. Am I supposed replace the brakes every eight months? It is just incontinence while the van is under warranty. What am I suppose to do after 3 years? If I don’t go after Honda now, I will be stuck with this van after July 20th, because I only have eighteen months to file the lemon case.

I am not the only one with this problem. Just go to the NHTSA site and see.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    "...It is just incontinence..."

I don't think the Lemon Law will cover that problem. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I'm just commenting on how the law is written, here in NY. Once it has been fixed, you need to bring it back ANOTHER 3 times in order to get anywhere near a Lemon Law case.

-mike
  • Options
    the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Not sure if you are really serious or just trying to troll the waters here. I don't see why your car is clearly a lemon as you have only had to replace 2 parts. The battery doesn't count. It's a wear and tear item and if it's the original battery installed in 2003, then that battery has lasted almost 5 years. That's a pretty good life span for a battery.

2 parts in 40K miles isn't bad and yes Honda's do indeed break. Shoulda bought a Chevy. At least then you would've expected it to break and when it didn't you would be happily surprised. ;) BTW - I have owned 4 Chevy's and 1 Ford and the worst offender was the 1st Chevy. Everything else has been almost perfect. They have all been excellent vehicles with excellent reliability (knock on wood because two of them have close to or over 100K and they are still in great shape and I want them to stay that way :D)

Edit: Oh yeah - before I forget, make sure you get that timing belt replaced soon too. When those things break, it's all over for your motor. Those have to be replaced every 60K miles.
  • Options
    actually - no I'm not sure. The only reason I say that is I had a co-worker who had an '03 Civic and I remember him griping that he had to have the belt changed at 60K. I was just going by what I thought I knew and not actual research :blush:
  • Options
    just a side comment about the discoloration - I wonder if it has something to do with the type of plastic that GM was/is using and if it was the same type used in the grill of my S-10. My S-10 grill did the same thing and faded from a greyish black to almost white.

I never took it to the dealer, but I did take it off and repaint it. It was a simple 10 dollar job and and still looks good today.
  • Options
    add another black mark to it's never ending list of "lemon" items....

A rank smelling back panel that emits a musty smell every time the car sits in the sun.

(From the snow that piled up inside while it was snowing :D)....
  • Options
    supermaddsupermadd Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new truck, and the dealer detailed it before we took delivery. OK, we took delivery in the evening and everything looked fine, but in the bright sunlight I noticed the dash was discolored over the glove box. I took it in and they tried to "buff" it out, and now it is absolutely horrible. They are going to order me a new dash, but the more I think about it - I don't want the truck anymore. Now I am afraid replacing the dash will make it rattle or open up a whole new can of worms. Does anyone have any advice? Can I demand they give me a new truck? Do I have any recourse? The truck has less then 500 miles. Any suggestions would be great!
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I know.

This is probably your first new vehicle.

Breath deeply.

Repeat 'It's only an inanimate piece of machinery.'

You will not get a new truck.

Start loving the one you have.
  • Options
    As bolivar noted, you have zero recourse to demand a new truck.

The delaer is doing the right thing as it is, and is getting you a new dash.
    If the dash is properly installed, there is no reason to assume it will rattle any more than the one the robot put in at the factory.
    Nor will it cause any new "can of worms"
    Bolivar's advice is best, just relax.
  • Options
    If putting a new dash in the truck causes problems, perhaps the rest of the truck will fall apart spontaniously? Just kidding. As the other guys said, the dealer is doing the right thing and it'll be fine if the new dash is installed properly.

-mike
  • Options
    d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Purchased a new 2008 Mercedes R class on Oct 21'st of this year. The day after i bought the car i noticed a ding in the front fender and many scratches all over the car. Called the dealer who informed me that they would take care of it at the time I came in for its 1,000 mile service. This being a mercedes I trusted them and figured all would be taken care of. As the days went on I noticed the hood had dents in it. As I was walking up to the car from the front I noticed dents all over the hood of the car. At this point I called the dealer, they said again they would take care of it at time of service. I told them I would be bringing it in asap not waiting for service. They agreed and the date was set. Dropped the car off on day of service and figured they would get a dent repair guy to look at it. that afternoon I get a call from the sales manager now stating that they see no dents what so ever. I jumped in the car drove to the dealership and pointed out all the defects. Sales manager told me it was all orange peal. BULL! So any ways he then changed his tone and said they will fix everything. I left and a day went past and nothing so on the second day I called to ask what was happening to my car. They informed me that they had found an issue with the sunroof and a part was missing that was on back order. We are talking a new mercedes here with only a few hundred miles and I had never even used the sunroof due to cold weather at this point. So long story short mercedes dealer had my new car for two weeks waiting on a part for the sun roof. At this point I had faith that they during this time were fixing all the dents and scratches on the car. Finally I got a call after two weeks saying my car could be picked up. Went to get it only to find nothing had been done to any of the dents or scratches and they had damaged the hood of the car. I now have a dent sticking out of the hood. Some way they have pulled the metal out of the hood as if someone had closed the hood on the car and left something under it. Needless to say I was pissed. The cars not even a month old. At this point the service manager said they were sorry and called in the general manager who went on to say how its not the dealer fault and they see no damage to the car and that any damage on the car has been due to my fault. I informed him that we had emails to the sales man stating the issues she then went on to say its still not there fault. I left, came home called the ower of the dealership who offered a meeting with me. Drove back up a fourth time to meet with him only to have him look at the car and say he would be in touch in a few days. Few days went past and nothing. I repeated called never to get a call back. I then contacted MBUSA who informed me that it had to be delt with at a dealer level. Can you believe this? So I emailed everyone I could at MBUSA Corporate, Daimler Corporate and the dealership stating the issues and they way I have been treated. At that point I did get a call back from Corp (MBUSA) stating they would open a case file to have the car bought back. I felt relieved. This was three weeks ago. During that time MBUSA has told me we need to meet with the east coast regional manager. So I set up a meeting with him. During my time waiting for the meeting day to come I informed him that our gaol is to have mb buy the car back or replace it with a new car. I also informed him that I had to spent 200 to have a few dents takin out already and that the hood now has to be fully repainted at the tune of 850 dollars and there is still two other hail dents that need to be fixed for another 200 dollars. So I'm looking at 1200 out of pocket on body work on a new car. And the dealer saw nothing? Regional manager called today to inform me that they dont see reason for a meeting and that the dealer now makes the call on replacement cars. I'm getting the run around!!!!!!!!!!! I have no clue now what to do. They are trying to wear me down so that I go away. MBUSA has been no help at all. I now have a 60,000 mercedes with hail damage which they deny but I found out it sat on the lot during two hail storms over the summer and I also have a car that has been damaged by the dealer costing me to have to get the hood repainted on a new car meaning it wont have the facotroy paint on it and it may never match. On top of that resale will take a nose dive due to the painted hood making it look as if he may have been in an accident at some point. Any ideas on how I can get a replacement car or get mercedes to buy this car back from me? I will never buy another mercedes again. I have always had BMW's which I loved but we needed a bigger car then what BMW had to offer and I regret it 100% Any advise would be great.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a solid case if the car was in service shop for 30 days. Get a lawyer, but only someone who is willing to forfeit his fee if he loses. However, be prepared for a fight. I know someone whose leased E wouldn’t pass the emotions inspections, and MBUSA would not settle. They eventually lost in the court room, but it took a year and the guy couldn’t even drive his car for that year.

Or you can file a BBB nonbinding to you arbitration case. If you lose, you have enough time to get a lawyer and go to court.
  • Options
    One point that I am curious about, you never noticed the damage when you took delivery?

This isn't an easy case to win. MBUSA won't buy the car back because this is a dealership issue. Lemon Law is for mechanical issues, not cosmetic ones.

It is up to the dealer to make this right. Since you have already repaired the damage, it does make it difficult to establish that it was really there.
    since you took the car without comment on the condition, the dealer could argue that it happened after the car left the dealership.

Personally, I don't understand why the dealer didn't just fix the car.
    Even as a goodwill gesture, even if they didn't believe they were the cause of the damage.
    At this point, I don't know what you options truly are. I seriously doubt that the car will be bought back, unless you can get a REALLY good auto lawyer. Even then, it will be costly.
    I'd try to have the dealership at least cover the cost of the repairs.
  • Options
    This isn't a lemon law (or buy back) case at all - forget it.

File a small claims case against the dealer. Present your case or settle.

And then let go of this and get on with your life.

P.S. It is VERY difficult to follow long posts that don't utilize paragraphs.
  • Options
    Very nice, now what happens if you buy a used car from a private party?

The solution, as always is to pay a little more and get a CPO car.
  • Options
    The solution, as always is to pay a little more and get a CPO car.

Well, I don't personally think it has to be CPO. But I do agree to buy from a dealer most times, as you get that added protection of the law (as long as the car qualifies, which varies by state, I think).

• Options
    Well, I don't personally think it has to be CPO. But I do agree to buy from a dealer most times, as you get that added protection of the law (as long as the car qualifies, which varies by state, I think).

Some states are pretty weak. Why take the chance?
  • Options
    d1ggesd1gges Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the middle of pursuing a BBB claim against Honda in regards to my 2009 Odyssey. I am not represented by an attorney, although I have looked into it. This is a different sort of claim than most I've read about here. The vehicle initially had a major engine oil leak, which has been repaired. Since that time, it has had a whole slew of other problems, some of which have been major, that I believe were caused by the original repair. The manufacturer has already attempted a final repair, and while they did get the outstanding issues addressed, a mechanic I hired has found an additional problem. It has not quite hit the 30 days in the shop required by my state's laws, but it has had over three repair attempts if you lump all of the problems together.

Is the BBB process quicker than a lawsuit? Does anyone have any experience where the poor workmanship of warranty repairs, rather than a single issue, were used in a lemon law claim? Any other advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    It is unfortunate that you have so many problems with your Odyssey. It used to be a good quality vehicle. I had my 07 Odyssey lemoned earlier this year for brake issues. I used a lawyer, and it took almost a year for Honda to settle. They waited till about a month before the trial date. Honda generally plays hardball when it comes to lemon law. Depending on your state law, the manufacturer pays your legal fees if you win your case.

Unfortunately, in your case, you will have hard time wining your case. Usually, they have three attempts to fix the same problem, or 30 days in repair shop. Most states have a time limit. In VA you can only file within 18 months from the purchase date.

As far as BBB or lawyer, it really doesn’t matter. If you loose your BBB case, you can still hire a lawyer and sue them. I prefer using the lawyer, because they tell you up front if you have a case, and they do all the leg and paperwork. Good luck.
  • Options
    d1ggesd1gges Member Posts: 2
    Hmm...Well, I'm disappointed to hear that this will be a difficult case. I was honestly hoping Honda might cave. Either way, though, I intend on taking this as far as I have to.

Essentially, what happened is this: We were on vacation. A dealer fixed the oil leak by replacing the short block and rebuilding the engine. That took a week. Two hours after picking up the vehicle from that repair, the car dropped all of it's coolant. Another week in the shop...at a different dealer. They also knocked the alignment out. Since then, we've discovered a crimped hose (which took 3 trips to the dealer), noises which were caused by missing nuts and bolts (another 3 trips to the dealer, counting an unnecessary strut replacement and the final repair), and another lesser oil leak. Add to that the fact that now the tie rod end boots are split and leaking grease (which I was told by the mechanic occurred during the engine rebuild) and I've about had it up to here. I'm not at 30 days yet...but I'm close.

The real issue is that first repair. I mean...who really forgets to put back all the nuts and bolts? And why is it my responsibility to hire a mechanic to identify things that were not repaired properly?

Thanks for your input. I guess I should be prepared for the long haul. Are there any car companies more interested in customer satisfaction than American Honda?
  • Options
    Wow, that’s a lot of repairs, and they all seem to be related. Have you ever send the “last chance” letter to Honda? Generally it’s a requirement for lemon laws.

“which I was told by the mechanic occurred during the engine rebuild”. Get that in writing, and send Honda the last chance letter before you go to the dealer.

That’s what’s great about having a lawyer. They’ll tell exactly what you need to do, and my lawyer hired an expert who inspected the van and drafted a report. The same person would have been the expert witness at the trial. If you have multiple issues to fix, don’t fix them on same trip. Have them fix it one at a time, after you send the letter.
  • Options
    aarango24aarango24 Member Posts: 1
    ......DRAMAAAAAAA !!!
    OK so let me start and mention that I'm a 24 yr old female and this is my 1st car purchase( WHAT A NIGHTMARE!). I purchased a "certified" used Chevy equinox 06 on October 16th,2009. The day of the purchase I had gone back and fourth with the dealership, loved the car and wanted it. I needed a cosigner so I had my grandpa help me. The dealership calls me and says " Wow, amazing your credit score combined has got you a even better interest rate something like 7%". I'm think oh shindig that's awesome. The say we go to sign all the paper work I ask to see the car before going through. The dealership says its being prepared and is not ready so I should just take care of the paper work and then I'll have the car. Whatever okay I sign but wait, NOT THE TOP LINE the sales man says the bottom... okay?? But.. I thought my grandfather was the co-signer so isn't her supposed to be on the bottom line ...? Well yeah..? no..? You are both the owners but this is the way it has to be done says the sales man..
    OK so we get in the car and the cars odometer says that the car has 43,500 miles on it?? But all the paper work and the mileage advertised
    was 38,500.
    Once I realize I try and rectify the problem with GM corp and I contact the dealership. They both say that the problem will be taken care of and that it will take a few weeks to be updated in their system. I was very concerned because I didn't want warranty to be affected.Then, 4 days after purchasing the car and 3 days after realizing the mileage was incorrect the ENGINE LIGHT comes on.
    Fast Forward to today... ( December 1st)
    Ive been to the Chevy mechanics in my hometown 4 times because of the same on going problem that can't be solved. The dealership has been dodging our calls, not returning our calls or giving me the paper work with the correct mileage.I am becoming increasingly concerned about this issue and very worried. Should I return the car..? If so how can I have the lemon law apply to me when the mileage on the car is what determines how long you have the lemon law. And with that said the mileage on the odometer was different from the one written on all the paperwork.
    Now fast forward into the FUTURE.... If I cannot get this problem with the engine light solved after FOUR times of going to the dealership in a 6 week period, then it will never get solved and I won't be able to ever pass inspection in the future.

Is it a lemon? Because I think it is..? And what can I do ?? I feel stuck ... :( :O(*************
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I doubt your car qualifies as lemon but since it was a Certified used car, your problems should be covered by warranty. here's a link to the GM Certified web page: http://www.gmcertified.com/certified/whatis/

I would contact GM customer service and talk to them about your engine light problem. I would also discuss (calmly) the problems you had when buying the car.