Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Gas Mileage Reports

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited May 2014 in Ford
Share your actual MPG with other Mustang owners here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Getting 18-18.5 around town (a lot of stop and go). Got 23 on highway to the beach (avg 80 mph).
    forgot to mention 5 Speed MT '06 GT Premium coupe with Diablo performance tune.
  • alex197alex197 Member Posts: 15
    06 gt stock, getting 23-24 at 80, getting 20 and better in town when shifting at 2 grand
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    With my GT 5sp. manual convertable, I'm only getting 15-16 in town shifting at 5K and 21 on highway at 75 mph.
    sounds like an honest answer.
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    I have 05 GT vert. auto. At steady 75 mph, engine is turning just under 2,100 rpm's. Get 30 mpg (measured by fill ups, not just computer). Also have an 01 Impala with a 3.8 V6. Just took trip to CT and back and got 31.3 mpg. Strange that a V6 would labor the same as my V8, I thought the Mustang would work less at same speeds. Almost all driving with Mustang has been highway, city seems to be around 18-19 though.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    chevy sedans(impala, malibu) are pretty good on gas on the highway. don't forget they are a whole lot more aero friendly than a mustang 'vert. your mileage in the mustang is impressive.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 71gmcsprint71gmcsprint Member Posts: 1
    Drove 530 miles average 80 mph, 28 miles to the gallon 3.8 V-6, MT 5-speed. Going on vacation in a month will let everybody know fuel mileage again.

Brian
  • ebbie1ebbie1 Member Posts: 2
    Got an 03 GT with a superchips and some opther upgrades and get 27 on the highway. Don't even check around town. Who shifts at 2 grand anyway?
    :shades:
  • cpocpo Member Posts: 23
    With the top up, rec'd 29 mpg @ around 60 mph on a 80 mile trip - 4.0 V6 auto. What a pleasant surpise as I'd pretty much accepted having to pay out the ##$$ for extra gas when I bought it. Muscle AND economy - who'd have thunk it?
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    06 GT 5 spd man. with 7,000 miles of 50 /50 driving = 21.4 mpg
    slow back country cruises at 60-65 mph = 30+,
    30+ Wow!
    You have any bridges you want to sell?
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    I've been getting 15-16 MPG in town with a heavy foot and 21 on highway at 70 MPH on cruise control with my 5 sp. GT conv.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    top down or up? :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mirandaraemirandarae Member Posts: 2
    Boy I wish I got above 20mpg even on the freeway..

granted ive only had the car for a month but the best gas mileage ive ever gotten is right around 18 mpg

:cry:
  • fosman77fosman77 Member Posts: 13
    I now have 500 miles on my GT Auto. Last night I filled up and was right a 20 mpg, This was mostly Freeway.
  • dunemasterdunemaster Member Posts: 2
    You guys want gas mileage from a Mustang? I suggest you call Ford and tell them that you want the 3.6. Could you imagine Fords brand new 3.6 twin turbo V-8 diesel in the Mustang? How about 450lbs. of torque @ 2000rpm.(Cobra power)How about 25 city/35 highway? How about a programmer to bump it up to 550lbs and 40 highway? PS,this is not a dream. Ford will be making 700.000 of these babies in Europe. The dream will be to put one in a Mustang! :)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    with 200 miles on the Odometer, i'm just over half way through my first tank. Computer is reading 23+ mpg with mostly highway driving.

Mark.
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    I've got an 05, GT, man. and I drive from my home in AZ to San Diego once about every 45 days. Almost all freeway, 325 mi. each way, and I get 23 to 25 mpg at btwn 75-80 mph. I do have a computer reflash and a cold air induction and I put 32 psi in the tires for the long trips...
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    I'm getting about 15 in city traffic (West LA - lots of sitting in rush hour) and 21-22 highway on long trips. I tried overinflating my tires to 34 lbs instead of 30 to see if that would help and it has by about 1 mpg so far. Also the ride is a little softer.
  • mustangfan23mustangfan23 Member Posts: 5
    I've got an '07 GT 5-speed and my computer said 22 mpg, but I calculated it and I actually got 18 mpg, in mostly city driving.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Did you reset the computer mileage when you filled up? The computer mpg is normally within 1 mpg or less of the actual mileage.
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Have an 05 GT CVT with 12,000 miles and routinely get 25 MPG driving 75-80 MPH on I75 here in FL without a/c on; 23 MPG with air on.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You might want to say Vert or ragtop instead of CVT. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how you got a Continously Variable Transmission in your mustang.
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Sorry for the confusion. Meant to say convertible (up).
  • u04601u04601 Member Posts: 5
    Went from So. Cal. to Phoenix and back. Most of the trip was at 80+ mph. The new 2006 GT averaged 22-23, just like the sticker said. I was pleasantly surprised.\\Kevin
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    I am planning on picking up my Mustang late next week. Any idea what gas mileage should be? I average 50/50 City/Highway driving. Also does the Gas tank truly hold 16 gallons?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My '06 GT gets 17-19 in town with a light foot. Don't drive it much on the highway. You should be able to average in excess of 20 MPG overall.

Not sure about the fuel tank capacity - I've never put in more than 14 gallons.
  • vistabluestangvistabluestang Member Posts: 14
    I have a GT Manual and average 20.8 MPG. I drive about 70% highway.
  • mikew6mikew6 Member Posts: 2
    You have a 16 gallon tank. I have a V-6 automatic, convertible and get 25mpg highway miles driving between 65 and 70 mph. Your mileage should improve as you break in the motor. Hope that helps. :shades:
  • thenewguy2thenewguy2 Member Posts: 3
    do any of u know the gas mileage for a 1967 mustang?
  • james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    Is anyone running their Mustangs with performance air filters?
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    Last tank was 29.4 mpg with 20% interstate, 60% rural, 20% city.
    Tank before was 30.9 mpg with 40% interstate, 40% rural, 20% city.
    Tank before that was 28.5 mpg with 40% city.

Car has had O2 sensor bad since I bought it. CEL has always been on since I bought it. I bought a sensor and tried to get old one out but couldn't, so I disconnected it 3 tanks ago. Mpg is up about 1 since I disconnected the bad sensor. I have to take a vacation day to get sensor fixed by a shop so I have been putting it off. Based on my mileage, will I see a slight increase in mileage to 31 or 32 hwy if I put in the new sensor? Will the new left bank sensor just cause the one in the right bank to then be considered bad by the computer and I'll need to spend another $200 or so. Am I hurting the cat converter by driving with the bad sensor?
  • busricbusric Member Posts: 8
    I will be picking up my newly purchased '95 GT with 14451 miles on it, on Oct. 8th. It is a 5speed totally stock w/17" wheels. I am hoping against hope that I will see around 25mpg on the drive from Montana to Texas. I'll be sure to post it here since I always keep track of mileage (a hobby is all). I have a '95 Bounder 35ft. motorhome with a 460 EFI engine and manage 9mpg @ 60mph which I consider pretty good.

Glad to join the group and look forward to posting. :shades:
  • humanjethumanjet Member Posts: 1
    wow,
    I have a 2000 v6 automatic, have put almost 10k miles on it. I runs great but gets 20-21,,,, doesn't seem to matter how fast or slow I drive, city/hwy with or without the a/c on, it's the same. Strangely enough, it seems to get 21 if I go mostly 85-95mph.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I'm getting upper twenties on the highway and lower twenties running around. average mileage 24.5 - 25 MPG
  • svtfangssvtfangs Member Posts: 3
    My Sunday car is an 03 Cobra- pullley, intake, MAC exhaust, SCT tuned. I am pushing around 500-515 crank. I drove it from Charlotte NC to Myrtle Beach SC and got an average of 22mpg on the highway. As long as I stay out of boost it gets pretty good mileage on the highway. In the city...well, thats a different matter!
    ;)
  • jcp123jcp123 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '67 convertible, the most heavy bodystyle at 3045lbs that year. It has a 302 punched ,040" over, stock heads and cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Carter AFB 4-bbl, Hedman "Hedders", Pertronix solid-state ignition, a C4 auto and 3:1 gearing.

In summer I get around 17 on my commute if I keep my foot out of it, and in winter that drops to around 15-16. Highway seems to average out around 19-20mpg, with 21mpg within sight on a good concrete surface road - but I keep my freeway speed to a strict 60 since I'm without overdrive.
This discussion has been closed.