Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited July 2014 in Mercury
Please report on your Mariner mileage here.

Include your odometer reading, city/highway mix, driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg with yours. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I now have 20,000 miles on my Mariner and have made at least six rountrips from Fla. to NJ. I always average anywhere from 24 to 26 mpg highway....and have NEVER had less than 20 mpg city.
    Same goes for the 2001 Ford Escape V/6 automatic that I had for 40,000 miles.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    We have 5,600mi on ours - it gets 28mpg hiway - 70mph w/ac
    - around town about 29 w/ac. This is the new Ethanol we have had here in Dallas since 1 May. It seems to kill the mileage about 2mpg.
  • rocksliderockslide Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 mariner premier V6 4WD used in June. Had 18,300 then and 20,600 now. The first few times I did all highway mile trips I got almost 24mpg and in town driving was 19. This was awesome compared to my Explorer which was 16-17 no matter what. And the Mariner did it on 3.5 gallons less of gas.

Well also when I got it, it had a slight pull to the left. It has gotten worse and worse. This past weekend I was on the highway and was in the right lane and let go of the wheel for 1/2 a second and I was off the left shoulder. Also my mileage has decreased to where on all highway trips I am getting 19 (down from 24) and in town driving on my last fill-up on friday I got 13 miles to the gallon. Same gas, same style of driving, no 4wd, no hauling, no towing, same roads...13 down from 19mpg.

Took it to Mercury and they claim there is nothing wrong. And that I am figuring the mileage wrong....I almost slapped the fat [non-permissible content removed] for asking me if i knew how to figure gas mileage. I said "I have 4 different college degrees, I think I know how to figure gas mileage."

I have another appointment tomorrow to see if maybe they can figure something out. Oh yes and so far I have had to pay for all this as of course "not covered under warranty"

This sucks...I bought it for the gas mileage and it has decreased over 30% in 2 months and less than 2000 miles.

HELLLLLLLP!
  • gary747gary747 Member Posts: 1
    I had these same symptoms on another type vehicle. The left front caliper was slightly warped and never allowed the pads to fully disengage, at least not as free as those on the right side. When a new caliper was installed, the "pull" went away and the mileage increased. Might look at the disks, also.
  • isaac007isaac007 Member Posts: 2
    Rockslide (or anyone else who sees this),

I have almost the exact same car ('06 Mariner V6 FWD) and same symptoms: decreased, awful gas mileage and a pull to the left. Did you ever figure out this problem? Was it a warped brake caliper?

I have already had it aligned and put a new air filter in... no help on either.

Please let me know, as I'm sure you remember that this is a very irritating situation to say the least. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I always average anywhere from 24 to 26 mpg highway....and have NEVER had less than 20 mpg city.
    --------------------------------------

That's encouraging news. Our 2007 Mariner V6 hasn't seen 20mpg yet. It only has a few hundred miles so I'm hoping things will improve.
  • txbill150txbill150 Member Posts: 1
    We bought ours new in January, 2007. Right off the showroom we were getting 17 mpg/city. Our first road trip was in June, '07. At the beginning of the trip, mileage was about 19 mpg. By the time we got back home (6,000 mile trip), our highway mileage was 29.8 mpg. Since then we are enjoying city mileage of 20-21 mpg.
    Overall, we love our Mariner, although less road noise would be nice. We have had no mechanical problems at all after 20,000 miles.
  • vanz73vanz73 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Mariner I bought new. I drive in the city (D.C.) everyday and since it is generally rush hour - I drive it hard with lots of starts and stops for traffic (still only a 30 minute commute which is great compared to my coworkers). I average about 14.5 mpg. It is significantly better on the highway 22-24 mpg but I rarely take it off city/suburban streets. Definately thinking of a hybrid in my future.
  • kevmhawdkevmhawd Member Posts: 3
    State: Hawaii
    ODO: 2300
    Tire Press: 40lb
    City: 33
    Hwy: 28
    Fuel: 10% Ethonal/ 4.35/gal
    Its drives like a dream and its so quite. Most driving city and never off road but maybe 40% hwy. No problems everything is top of the line as advertised. Can't find one on the lots had to go special order. Am seeing an explosion of Hybrids on the road in the last month or so. :)
  • shihchishihchi Member Posts: 1
    Have a little more than 3,000 miles on '08 Mariner, 4 cylinder. Driving 90% highway/10% city, averaging 28-29 MPG in rolling hills. Usually average about 65 MPH. Can get 30-31 MPG highway at 60 MPH. To buy Mariner, traded in an '02 Escape with 3.0 V6 (had 160,000 miles on it), which averaged about 24 MPG on same routes at 65 MPH. Quality- and reliability-wise, Mariner has been virtually perfect, as was Escape.
  • mndrvrmndrvr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 V6 4WD with about 22K and my mileage varies significantly depending on the type of driving. Running on interstate and secondary roads I get around 26-28 MPG, even driving around town I get a respectable 24 MPG until I get into only short trips or a lot of stop and start driving at which time it drops down to 19-20 MPG which is still better than the minivan that it replaced. It did not come with a computer so I installed a computer and it is quite revealing as to where the gas is going. On a cold start at idle it will drink around 1 gph until it warms up. Once it warms up, it sips about 0.33 gph again at idle. This also affects it greatly if you are doing a lot of short driving (my job is about 3 miles from my house and most everything else is about 1 mile so I do a lot of short driving) By watching the computer and driving moderately, I can get about 24 MPG driving around town which seems pretty good but as soon as I start punching it down it drops off pretty quick. Not sure about the gas mix but Minnesota winter gas which is 10% ethanol and I am not sure about the oxygenation other than the ethanol as they seem to have the winter mix and the summer mix, I think it is just an excuse to charge more.
This discussion has been closed.