Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Endeavor

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Anyone shopping the Endeavor?

Steve, Host

Comments

• lifeuncommonlifeuncommon Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 and was looking to get into at least a 2006. Sticker prices are around 33K and they are no longer offering incentives.

I have scheduled maintenance, got a great owner loyalty, and a rebate. They are not giving anyone a reason to get into the larger vehicles. It's rather dumb. You'd think they'd have more incentives to get rid of them, especially today. They only offered me $500 owner loyalty with no scheduled maintenance, no rebates, NOTHING. I'd wait until the fall if I were looking to get into a new vehicle. They'll be pushing to get rid of the 05 and 06 models!
  • matthattan1587matthattan1587 Member Posts: 53
    The new Endeavor coming out looks amazing. I think it will be one of the bst looking car-based suvs on the road.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    Maybe I'm a rarity , but I bought a Endeavor in 2004,after shopping several simular sized SUVs. Long story short, the Endeavor is for me a near perfect balance of size,weight,power,braking and MPG. I recently shopped the Volvo XC90 and for $21K more than an Endeavor, you can get about the same performance as the 2007 Endeavor.You'll need to buy the V8 however and all you really gain is a 3rd row seat sutible only for little ones.The Volvo was nice , but $21K more nice it clearly wasn't.So now I'm shopping for a new 07 Endeavor SE w/nav. & sunroof. I'm 4 to 6 weeks away from a purchase and waiting to see if Mitsu. extends the current rebates after April 2. Anyone have any idea what's coming as a 2008 Endeavor? Anyone have any comments on the Nav system? Bill C.
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone compared the driving characteristics of Endeavor with the '07 Outlander? Yes, I know they are different classes of vehicles, that the former requires premium gas, and has a wider turning circle. I'm interested in ride, handling, powertrain performance, NVH, comfort comparisons. The Endeavor seems to get a lot of praise in these areas whereas there is some carping on the Outlander over interior quality and noise. Thanks
  • 1novadriver1novadriver Member Posts: 5
    Any news as to when Mitsubishi will redesign the Endeavor and what major changes/upgrades it's getting??? I wanted to get the Endeavor, however, the lack of a 3rd row seat & use of premiun gas stirred me away and decided to get a Honda Pilot instead... I used to own a 95 Mitsubishi Galant, I had it for 13 years without any problem(s), drove from the east coast to the west coast, again without any problem, a testament to it's under rated quality.. I sold it coz I have to move back to the east coast again... A definite trade-in if Mitsubishi get it's right...
    When will a all-new Endeavor come out??? I've seen 2009 mentioned , but also 2011, and perhaps it'll just go away or be built elsewhere. Mitsubishi's role in North America is still up for grabs and no one knows what will happen if numbers don't get better. Will the Illinois plant remain in operation by then? Will Mitsub's parent Companies continue to pour $$ into the American Market? I researched as much as I could find on future Endeavors because I have been so happy with my 2004 and I was frankly afraid they'd be forced to cut corners to lower costs. The Endeavor is a fine product as it is even without the usually useless 3 rd row seating. I just traded my 04 for a 2007 and I'm very hopefull this 07 will be everything my 04 was and still is. Yes, Yes the Pilot and the Freelander are fine products, but the Endeavor stacks up well in the real world against them. An added bonus is you won't see 10 more just like yours in every parking lot as you do with those really bland stylings of the Honda/Toyota.
    I suspect any re-design of the Endeavor would include some sort of 3rd row seat, but as with the others , it will come at the expense of the 1st and 2nd row. Styling also will change , I suspect something with more of a roofline like the R-Class Mercedes perhaps. A power/remote rear hatch and a rear camera would be nice options,(IMO)rather than a 3rd row of seating.The current Endeavor is a real bargin for those who are willing to step away from the Honda/Toyota mind set.The build quality is there , and they are built in the only Japanese owned car plant that employes UAW workers. Isn't that worth something?
    Personally , I aplaud Mitsubishi for building some fine products. These products have been overshadowed by mistakes within the company that went on for too long, but that's in the past. Bill C.
  • jeffer3jeffer3 Member Posts: 22
    I would like to hear about real-world experience with the AWD system in the Endeavor. I currently have a Subaru Outback which has excellent AWD but the cabin is too cramped for me, and too little cargo space.
    Also would like to know the technical aspects of the Endeavor AWD as well. Mitsubishi has a great write-up on the Outlander but I think there are a few finishing details on that vehicle, at this point, that might dissuade me from buying it. I've read many good things about the Endeavor, just can't find any testimonies on the AWD and how well it works in snow, mud, and hill climbs.

thanks in advance
    Jeffer03
    Jeffer , I can tell you my experience has been all positive. Our first Endeavor was the 2004 LS AWD, and we drove it to just over 40K before trading it in on a 2007 Endeavor SE-AWD. The 04 was our first ever AWD vehicle and mechanically it never gave us any reason to question its operation. I never hauled a trailer , nor did I ever take the Endeavor on any 'off-road' trails. But in the snow and on rain slic blacktop the vehicle was always sure footed and never left us worried that maybe we couldn't get to where we wanted to go. In the mountains and in high desert winds , the thing always seemed composed and sure footed.Even Driving at 90mph , it still felt like it was stable , and not out of breath. Our new '07 has only 600 miles on it now(2 weeks old) and it's as squeak and rattle free as our 04. I really missed the exterior door side trim of the 04,05,&06 model so we bought them and put them on the new 2007.Like wise we kept the Mud/snow rubber floor mats from our old Endeavor.Other than routine maintenance , the Endeavor never costs us a dime, and our 04 had a now meger sounding 24 month warranty! The 3.8L never misses a beat and the torque makes it strong off the line. No vehicle is perfect , but the Endeavor is a excellant blend of size and power.IMO. It rides better than a Tahoe, gets better mileage,and the cargo areas are very simular.Rear seat legroom is fantastic. Not even the Volvo XC90 V8 pulls harder off the line , and it was $21K more! We shopped the others over and over in 04 and again this year , but decided to stay with the Mitsubishi. I have driven Subies, and they too are sure footed in snow and rain, I looked at a Forester, but it seemed to small, and Subies styling sometimes is ,well, too different , for my tastes(B9 Tribeca,anyone?)But , I know they are good as well..Bill C.
  • jeffer3jeffer3 Member Posts: 22
    I'm curious to know more about how the AWD works. Is it what I call "reactive" like in the Pilot or Highlander. In other words, FWD until there is slippage, then applies some power to the rear. The new Outlander seemingly has a more responsive AWD system. But I think the Outlander may be a wee bit smaller then what I'm looking for. My Subaru unfortunately IS too small, as I found out a little too late. My left leg cannot get comfortable. Otherwise it rides and handles fairly decent.
    tx
    Jeffer3
    Jeffer, after a little research this is what I found printed in the 2004 Press Info binder: "All wheel drive Endeavors utilize a center differential equipped with a spider gear and viscous coupling arrangement to realize a full time 50/50 torque split,sharing power to all four wheels."
    I believe this means power(torque) is availble equally to all the four wheels selectively at all times, and that no bias to front or rear is present at any time?
    I hope this helps. As you probably know the sales brochure is big on the radio system and bare when it comes to under the skin spec.'s. That and most dealer sales staff know only whats in the brochure if even that:-)
    I'm 6 foot, 215lbs, and long road trips in the Endeavor never leave me wishing for more interior room.Bill C.
  • ssfbluessfblue Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I am not super-familiar with customizations so I was hoping to possibly get some advice..

I have a 2004 Endeavor LTD

As everyone probably knows, the center console is crap because it is a one piece cover, which hiders the easiness to replace the audio receiver with something better or newer.

I have a couple of questions:

How much would it cost (generally speaking) to get a new center console cover molding so that I can utilize the 2-dins (I think) that are already being used behind it? I've seen some other pictures of other people that have done mods to their center console; howver, I am finding it hard to ask them. (I went to cardomain.com)

Where can I get a receiver that is SURE to fit? I already went to crutchfield to check out a few things and found some that supposedly fits; however, they also say: "Video receivers with flip-out monitors may not work in this vehicle because of the configuration of the factory dash."

Are there actually 2-dins that I can possibly fill?

How would the center display/clock be affected? I have the Limited version so that center console display is the upgraded version. I also have a 2004 Galant LS, which I was able to switch out the receiver. Will there be an "E Com" message like the Galant and cause problems with the other integrated controls like HVAC and such?

Also, if anyone has any advice, that would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated!!!
  • jojo16jojo16 Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 XLS AWD is having a noise which sounds like engine knock.
    It came from under floor at the speed of 40mph or faster, I fist doubted engine knock but seems nothing to do with the gas pedal position.
    Does anyone have similar experience?
    I use premium gas BTW.
    First , I wish this site could generate a few more posts! Not much happening either good or bad and no one wants to talk about it? I have a few observations reguarding my 07 Endeavor SE.I wonder if savings was the reason behind the omission of bag hooks in the cargo area and front seat backs? My 2004 LS had them the 07 SE don't. Also my 04 had large rubber blocks mounted on the inside of the rear hatch near the tail lamps , they are missing on the 2007.Lastly , leaving off the side trim did not improve the looks , in fact it had the oposite effect. (I had them installed after purchase) Sadly the hood still uses a prop rod to hold itself open as did the 04. Is there anyone who knows why this was done? The savings don't seem worth it, with Mitsu in the hole, was cutting $5.00 off the vehicle going to save the company?
  • travla413travla413 Member Posts: 2
    Got a 2006 Endeavor LTD AWD. Drives great no probs yet. Does anyone know if Mitsu has a GPS module that can fit the console ? Seem to remember salesman saying something about an extra $200 or $2000 to install. I was to happy to drive away. I don't quite remember what he said.

Thanks, travla413

btw: taking her for a run down to North Carolina in 2 weeks looking to see how she performs outside of New York city. :)
  • ohionutohionut Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2007 Mitsubishi Endeavor, largely on the recommendations on this forum. We are happy with most everything except the audio system. Has anyone swapped out the system and were you happy with the results. Any information will be much appreciated.
    Anne
  • shadowtraxshadowtrax Member Posts: 8
    I was looking into the same thing (replacing the stock display with the larger GPS display). I can't get a straight answer out of the dealerships. We have four Mitsi dealerships here in Denver and I asked all four. Three said yes you could, and one said no. I called a Manufacturer line in Illinois and they told me 'no' you can't. So I don't know. My dealer told me I would need to purchse the middle console and a new housing for it - but they didn't know if the wiring would hook up to the existing connector. Nobody knows. Let me know if you've found anything out.
    Thanks
  • travla413travla413 Member Posts: 2
    I got basically the same answers. One dealer said that the option is on 2007-8 models. Nobody knows for sure. However, I did purchase a Garmin Streetpilot 330 and it did the job from NYC to Charlotte , NC and back.. I'll still check into it.

Thanks

travla413
    I've been searching the various forums on the web and discovered that a handfull of people have customized their center dash (removed the stock stereo and cut a full-sized double din square into their console) to fit a double-din touch screen unit - one that has MP3, Navigation, Bluetooth, Satelite radio, etc. They all have the same story - the custom auto stereo shops (BestBuy, CircuitCity, etc.) tell them it's impossible to do, so they took out their own tools, purchased an extra center console to trial with, and went to town cutting out the square to fit their display unit. I guess most of them cut their own console, cleaned it up a bit, then had the stereo shop add the screen/unit of their choice. The big issue is that nobody wants to do that type of custom work anymore - if there's no specific kit for it, then they don't want to touch it - we're losing the type of folks in this country that are able and willing to think outside the box (no pun intended). The end results look really nice - I printed pictures of five different personal custom installs of this kind from the different forums and took them to my local BestBuy and showed them what any joker can do in their driveway with the right tools (which the install shops have) and asked if they would attempt it - no takers... The biggest question I was not able to get answered yet is if the steering wheel controls still control the custom added deck (volume, song title, switching from radion, CD, custom unit, etc.), and how the Navigation unit worked for them. If anyone has done anything of this nature please post your experience and pics if available, and who worked with you.
    I like the external Nav units, but removing it from the car every time you stop at the store or work gets tedious (theft issues).
    BTW, I just purchased an '06 Endeavor Limited AWD awhile back and enjoy it. We just had our third snow storm in Denver this year (2007) and the truck did great in the snow! I took it out on the first snow at night and drove all around the side streets and small hills, and practiced a bit in the Target parking lot to see how it would react - it did well. I also drove around testing the AWD along with starts/stops on hills and in deeper snow (8-10 inches). I also played around with the truck/AWD in the other two snows as well. The one thing that was readily apparent, the stock tires (Turanzas) are not good in the snow at all, a set of different tires would make a noticeable difference for snow traction and driving, and by most accounts I've read from others and on Tirerack.com, on ride/noise as well. I have a fair amount of winter/snow driving experience from living and driving in Denver and to the ski resorts in Colorado so I have a little background on how different vehicles and tires react. I've had a variety of four-wheel drive vehicles (Pathfinder, Explorer, Trailblazer), and AWD vehicles including a Subaru and a BMW 325xi (still have the 325xi and it does well in the snow, but dreadful ground clearance). These Turanza tires do not do well by any stretch of the imagination (but they seem to last a decent amount of time if rotated regularly), and if they weren't so new, I would spring for a different set of tires. Bottom line, I think the AWD with it's 50/50 torque split does a good job in the snow.
    Anybody change their tires, and if so, what have you gone with and how have you liked them?
  • servantservant Member Posts: 6
    We have 55,000 on our '05 that we bought two years ago, so this is our third winter with it in Minnesota. Does fine in the snow; yesterday did as well as anyone else on the ice/snow mix. Saw a lot of fancier SUVs that were doing a lot of sliding around. I do think it would do much better with a new set of tires, especially with the miles these have (still original Turanza's). Tread is getting down there, but have worn evenly with regular rotation.
    Am hopeful a new set will be quieter (get some road noise now). Anyone have suggestions.. to reduce noise but still do decently on all road surfaces?
    As for good all-around all-season tires for the Endeavor (smooth quiet ride yet do decent in the snow/rain) - I've done some searching on the internet forums, the tire forums, and asked the local tire shops what tires their customers have been happy with on their cross-over SUV type vehicles.
    From what I've gathered the Continental CrossContact LX is one of the best all around tires, especially for the price. And the Goodyear Fortera is also a good option for the Endeavor. From what I've read, almost any new tire will provide a more quite ride on the Endeavor - guess the Turanzas weren't a good choice for that vehicle.
    I sure wish the original tires would wear quicker... :) I'll be ready for some new tires. I have 36K on mine and still plenty of tread, and it looks like Servant (post above) has 55K on his - the Turanza's are noisy and don't provide much in the way of tread, but they do wear well with regular rotations.
  • js3js3 Member Posts: 1
    Do you need to use premium fuel with the Endeavor. I am considering buying one?
  • rubyred83rubyred83 Member Posts: 10
    Mitsubishi recommends 91 octane or better fuel be used; I have heard of owners running 87 octane and reporting no problems. The higher performance V-6s that Mitsubishi sells (in the Eclipse GT and Galant Rallyart) require 91 octane or better. Service personelle have reported to me that the low grade will cause emission-related problems in the long-run.
    If you want the maximum performance out of the motor, then use 91 octane. Don't buy the cheap stuff, either. I personally like how my cars run off BP gas.
  • rubyred83rubyred83 Member Posts: 10
    The Endeaver will drive and handle like a very responsive mid-size car with a high seating position. The Outlander will handle and perform like a sports car with a high seat position. My wife drives an Outlander XLS (she's behind the wheel 95% of the time) and she loves its handling (her summer ride is a BMW 328i Convertible). I prefer the more sedate manners and the larger backseat room of the Endeavor, personally. Don't get me wrong, the Endeavor will perform if called upon, the Outlander is just easier and more fun to toss around. If you can live with the passenger/cargo limitations of the Outlander, it will be more fun to drive in the long haul.
  • jramirez71jramirez71 Member Posts: 1
    First, I absolutely love this car. A few questions for the forum:

1. AWD LS - I am averaging 19, 75% HIGHWAY DRIVING. What can I expect to get on a roadtrip?

2. I would like to buy a camper. It's rated to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs. Is the factory package ready for a hitch or do I need a transmission cooler, etc?

3. Experience towing with the car anyone?
  • anniekatieanniekatie Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Endeavor LS and am looking for a way to use my Apple IPod through the stereo. I haven't found anything online, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
    Thank you!
  • neverbuymitsneverbuymits Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 black Mitsubishi Endeavor and am having problems with the paint.
    The paint is falling off!
    The dealership "attempted" to correct and made a bigger mess now they won't return my calls.
    This is a $38,000.00 "luxury suv" that looks like ____ (fill in the blank)
    I will never buy mitsubishi again... I promise you that.
    www.neverbuymitsubishiagain.com
  • ccarl1ccarl1 Member Posts: 7
    We have 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor. My daughter went out to take it but it wouldn't start. My husband checked under the hood and there was a clicking sound coming from the fuse box (back right as you look under the hood). He tried removing (and then putting back, when that didn't solve it, several of the fuses) but the clicking continued until he removed the large part: front ecu (type Aa-M, MR5630 00. The clicking stopped. He put it back in...no sound, but then when he tried to start the car, the clicking resumed and did not stop until he again removed the part. We assume the clicking drained the battery, so that will need to be charged. But does it sound like we could go buy a new one of those parts to remedy the situation? When that part isn't functioning properly does it make the clicking sound? Or, is there something else that would cause the clicking which is governed by this part? If necessary, can we recharge & drive it to the dealer with it clicking? or drive with it removed? We couldn't find what that part was actually governing.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with satisfied owners of a 2004-2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 21, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrs_smithmrs_smith Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used 04 Endevor with 94,000km's on it. The car fax suggests the car had an accident in 08 that resulted in $5000 worth of damage. The dealership has said the drivers side of the car has been re painted so they suspect it was a low impact side accident. Would a $5000 repair suggest something very serious like damage to the frame of the car? I've negotiated down to $13,500 from $16,000 but am worried I might be buying a problem down the road - any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  • reverberocketreverberocket Member Posts: 4
    A quick check at Kelly (kbb.com) show the Limited model at $13,600 retail, very close to the price you've negotiated. That's for a vehicle in excellent condition. The private party valuation for a Limited model in good condition is about $10,700. A $5k accident repair suggests that the vehicle is probably not in excellent condition. A damage repair costing that much is likely to involve some structural straightening, structural replacement and/or welding.

You're best option might be taking the vehicle to a private mechanic and having everything checked out. Most mechanics will do this for $60 or less. Hope that helps.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds high, but I assume you're in Canada and it's hard to translate TMV values to your market.

Even simple fender benders cost a lot to fix these days so $5,000 could simply be for new sheet metal and painting. My rental van was hit a couple of years ago and it cost $2500 just to replace the plastic bumper and a headlight. It's always advisable to have your independent mechanic check a used car out.
  • kphilipkphilip Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have the same vehicle and the same problem. what did you find out?
    what did you do and what did it cost to fix?
    thanks
    pdk
  • ccarl1ccarl1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    Good news, if it's the same thing. I took it in and they said the clicking was an indication that the battery was low. Ended up replacing it and no more clicking.
    Good luck,
    Carl
  • dandydan9dandydan9 Member Posts: 20
    Try a radio transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack and trasmits sound through car's radio at predetermined FM radio stations.
  • ttmbamttmbam Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used endeavor 07. It is at some sea port in new jersey waiting to be shipped to nigeria. There is no front plate number carrier. please who knows how i will affix a plate number without mutilating the front bumber. Gracias
  • abhishek63abhishek63 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

See I would like to tell you that as there were three variant of Endeavor available in the market they are- Ford Endeavour 4x2 MT, Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x2 and Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT and now Ford India introduced the new 4x4 Hurricane. The new 4X4 Hurricane comes with features like a new masculine front nudge bar, Hurricane like body design, rear door convex mirror and specially designed chrome-tip exhaust at the rear.
    pls can someone post what the serial engine number of an 2007 mitsubishi endeavor looks like.

the panel where mine was stamped is rusty and i got something like this 6673SR1328. Dont know if it is correct. Thanks
    hey endeavor owners. where are you.

pls the 1st and 2nd setting of my 07 endeavor AC does not work. the AC only comes on when

you set at 3.

has anyone experienced this problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2011
    Not with a Mitsu, but I had that with my Nissan a few months back. Mine was the blower resistor. Pretty easy swap on my van and the part was around $50.

If an owner doesn't pop in here with confirmation or details about where yours is, try the links in the Online Repair Manuals for instructions.
    i am writing from nigeria. my 07 endeavor has a/c problems. i used to hear a sloshing sound

on t the front passenger side when i hit the brakes with the a/c running. in retrospect i

recalled that water does not drip under the car after running the a/c for a long time. now the

water back flow has spoilt the a/c fan. the main problem now is how to find the a/c water

drain outlet. i ve seen several postings on how to follow the brake line under the car to the

firewall on the driver's side so as to identify the hole. i did that. i saw several holes and put in

the stiff wire but water did not come. one posting talked about a metal brace. i saw a metal

brace holding the smaller diameter brake lines but there seems to be no hole beside it as

suggested. pls can someone give me a more explicit guidiance if possible with pictures.

Gracias!
  • nanaclarknanaclark Member Posts: 1
    About a month ago, we started hearing something metal rolling around in the roof top of our Endeavor. You hear it when breaking and accelerating. Sounds like a screw rolling around. We do not have a sun roof so unsure how this could have happened. From the drivers seat, the noice appears to be coming from the ceiling of the car...metal rolling on metal.

Any clues to what's happening and how to remove the object?
  • lareinamejor15lareinamejor15 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue only my sound is on the passenger side of the floor. I had it in the dealer for some other issues...they claimed they found lots of loose stuff within my truck. I know it's not the culprit. I told them it sounds like a metal marble on a steele track. Goes from the front to back...doesn't cross over to the drivers side. Haven't heard it for a bit...we shall see. It went away for winter when it must've been frozen.
    oh! I never thought this was a problem. I drive an 07 endeavor. Throughout last year i could hear some thing rolling up and down the drivers side with acceleration and deceleration. i thought i picked up a peppble cos it started after some 10hours drive. anyway the sound disappeared just as it came some 2-3months back! maybe it was a pebble after all. but this one on the roof!