Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is the Best SUV For me?

Comments

• robin15robin15 Member Posts: 18
    any luck finding a vehicle . . .
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    Gonna go with a pathfinder..it's more fun than a Pilot, even though the Pilot is SLIGHTLY more comfortable..

0 down, except for taxes and plates and first month

385 a month for 39 months, 12k miles

Pathfinder LE 06'
    that's a heck of a deal for an 06 path. If i had not found the Rainer, i was going for the path. I LOVE my car.... have fun with your new ride....!!! :)
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    yea, seems like a great deal...can't wait..I need my shoulder room already.

The Rainier is an awesome SUV, I went in it at the car show, seemed very luxurious.

If I had the money, I'd go for the Armada..that thing is beautiful, and the seats, if you opt for non-leather, it feels like that scuba diving material.
    sasuke.. here are some phone numbers you might need. One is Nissan's 1 800 number for warranty notification and the other is for the owner's manual (if the path doesn't have one). Call the notification number and give them your vin #, they will tell you if there is a remaining warranty on the vehicle.

Warranty info: 1 800 647 7261
    Owner's manual: 1 800 247 5321

Hope this helps! :)
  • sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    Just picked up a 2006 Pathfinder SE w/running boards, sunroof & Bose stereo. Price was $22,900 with 19000 miles on it. What do you think? Did I get a good deal? I have 5 days to return it to Carmax with no strings, I am not familiar with Nissans b/c my family has always been Toyota/Honda people. Any unbiased suggestions? Any problems with Nissans?

Any info would be great!

I also like the New Outlander and the Endavour, and the RAV-4 any tips?
  • loadfet17loadfet17 Member Posts: 5
    I just got an SE about a month ago with the comfort package as well. It had 2,040 when I drove it off the lot. I got it for $26,500. This is my first "foreign" vehicle. so far I love it.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released it's list of the safest cars for 2007.

The Institute breaks the cars down into the following categories: large Car, midsize Car, minivan, luxury SUV, midsize SUV and small SUV.

In the large car market, only the Audi A6 earned top honors. In the midsize car ratings, the Audi A4, Saab 9-3, and Subaru Legacy (with optional electronic stability control). And in Minivans, the Hyundai Entourage and Kia Sedona both earned top honors.

Moving to the SUV class, in the Luxury series, the Volvo XC90 and Mercedes M class topped the list. In the midsize arena, the Acura RDX and Honda Pilot both earned high marks. Finally, in the small SUV size, the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester (with optional electronic stability control) took top honors.

Interestingly, not one American car made the list this year.... :sick:

The Institute rates vehicles as good, acceptable, marginal, or poor based on performance in high-speed front and side crash tests, plus evaluations of seat/head restraints for protection against neck injuries in rear impacts.

The first requirement for a vehicle to become a Top Safety Pick is to earn good ratings in all three Institute tests.

A new requirement for 2007 is that the winning vehicles must offer electronic stability control. This addition is based on Institute research indicating that electronic stability control significantly reduces crash risk. Especially the risk of fatal single vehicle crashes. The electronic control helps drivers maintain control of their vehicles during emergency maneuvers.
    Hello sampowers! :) You picked a good one and a good price. The Pathfinder, Outlander and the Endeavor are all on the top 10 list of good buys. I ruled out the Endeavor because it requires premium gas. :cry: Although i like the look of the suv. I ended up with a Buick Rainer. I did't know Buick made an SUV but i love my new wheels. :shades: My next stop was to look at the Pathfinder. I wanted that third row seat but found some of them to be dificult to get to, like the Volvo suv. I also purchased my car from Carmax and found it to be a very pleasant experience, my salesperson was awesome. Did you get a list with Nissan's #'s for remaining warranty info and a manual if there wasn't one? If not i posted the #'s in a pervious post. Enjoy your new wheels. :shades:
  • cafegracecafegrace Member Posts: 1
    I started out looking at the Highlander. I thought hey 3rd row seat not real bad mpg then I read posts that stated breaking suddenly was making the car accelerate. One guy drove through his Dining Rm. Next! I looked at Ford Expedition. Found they had paint problems. Got that now! Next. Honda Pilot! I didn't really like the looks of it but I can give up looks for good mpg! (As long as it’s not hideous) It sounded like everything I needed until I read that several people are getting less mpg than advertised. I need some expert advice! Please Help!!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Go to the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave forum. This is the CUV trio from GM that has great interior space and drives more carlike. Everyone there loves them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How about an SUV calendar?

link
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    What, no pictures of the Pilot doin' the Rubicon Trail or Moab? :P
    I think that's the July photo. ;)
    Hmmm, I think that’s a Chevy Trailblazer four-wheeling it on the Aloha Trail or maybe the treacherous San Diego sand dunes. :) Pretty pictures though.
    lol, ok you asked for it - I'm gonna put my own calendar out showing my Outback on a 4WD only trail on the cover:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    You make me smile and laugh. I can't wait to get the Pilot into the snow to test out all them stability dohickees.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview consumers who are annoyed, confused, overwhelmed, frustrated, etc. about all the automotive choices they have/had to consider before making a new car purchase.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than January 31, 2007 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Hey, I'm 17, and if I was gonna get a SUV, I would definitely check out a Hyundai Santa Fe, w/ the 3.3 V6 242 HP, Subaru Forester XT 2.5 230 HP, Mitsubishi Outlander 3.0 V6 220hp, and definitely the Mazda CX-7. It's got a 244hp 2.3 I4 turbo, very sporty, can be had decently for under $27 grand. That's the one I'd go with, that or the Santa Fe, lots of power. Good luck!
  • sestlosestlo Member Posts: 1
    on top of many other little things i dont have the digital read out for gas mileage that others have i was wondering if it would be worth time and money converting this
  • jssmithjssmith Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I'm new to the forum and my question sounds like it should go here...

Straight question... I have a leased vehicle, can I legally rent it out to a friend?

Details... I leased my vehicle, it's through a company and not a bank as far as I can tell, my payments goto the place I bought it from. I have a friend that will be coming up to where I am to work for a week or so every month for at least a year. He takes the train here and wants a car to drive around for work (it's so he can work, but it's not a business car technically). So, when he comes to town by train, and wants my car which he agreed to pay so much per day for, he gets it, pays me, etc...

Since money is involved, I assume it's considered renting or maybe even sub-leasing because I'm leasing it. Only question is, can I actually do it? Do I need to add anything to my insurance? Anything else I need to know?

I checked for my paperwork to find anything regarding sub-leasing, but wasn't able to find anything... but I may not have all the paperwork together. I would ask the place I'm leasing it from, but if it is not allowed I don't want them down my neck thinking I'm going to do it anyways.
    I think I'd ask over in the General Questions about Leasing Vehicles discussion.
    "17 four-door SUV’s earned a five star crash test rating for all seating positions: Acura MDX; Acura RDX; Audi Q7; Dodge Nitro; Ford Freestyle; GMC Acadia; Honda CR-V; Honda Element; Hyundai Santa Fe; Infiniti FX35/45; Jeep Grand Cherokee; Kia Sorento; Kia Sportage; Mazda CX-7; Saturn Outlook; Subaru Outback; and the Toyota Highlander."

NHTSA Releases Model Year 2007 New Crash and Rollover Safety Ratings
  • hawi7hawi7 Member Posts: 12
    I compared the X with the Toyota FJ Cruiser and liked the cool looks of the X although the FJ is probably the most capable 4x4 offroad.
  • rcfilmrcfilm Member Posts: 4
    I would beware of buying this vehicle. my 04 is a money pit. just out of warranty new AC condenser $500 front control bushings $400. This car has 35K miles and has been hwy driven. This is not a dependable vehicle Get an ext warranty. Rides great great in the snow but.....
    I've owned accords and they have been ok
  • rcfilmrcfilm Member Posts: 4
    American Honda has agreed to pay for most of the AC repair
    I'b still say get the ext Wty as it covers a lot of expensive service as well
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    I'd like to get small-to-medium crossover under $40K which would have V6, paddle shifters, Intelligent Key, keyless ignition, xenon lights, satellite radio, navigation/DVD player, leather interior, ipod jack, 4WD. Is it possible to get all these options for this price?
  • jksonicjksonic Member Posts: 1
    My needs are rather varied so I'm having trouble finding the best one which suites them all to some degree...as there doesn't seem to be one that is idea for them all. My Father-in-law is paying cash for the vehicle and we're paying him back so we don't have any financing. He also has a friend in the used-car business who is taking us all up to a huge dealer only auction up in Manhiem PA. Keep that in mind because we very well may be able to afford something we normally wouldn't be able to if a good deal comes about (like a Honda Pilot or something). Anyway, lets get to my criteria...

This is going to be something we have for a while, so we're looking for less then 25,000 miles on it (ideally under 20,000)...I say that because we probably won't find anything older then an 05.

At least gets average mileage for an SUV... Should at least be able to break 20mpg in ideal settings.

Needs decent cargo room and decent (doesn't need to have luxury space...) 2nd row seating (3rd row doesn't matter)...we'll be having kids within a couple years and we have two dogs now. We also don't have a truck so we'll be using it now and then to haul stuff around.

Needs to either look rugged or sporty... "bleh" or "girlie" isn't an option. I've been driving a yellow 2000 Focus ZX3 for five years which was bought in haste becase my Lancer EX was totaled....so I'm not getting stuck with another head turner (in a bad way...turning heads in good way is obviously fine). Newer redesigns of stuff like the RAV4 may be an option since they seem to have shed past images...

Like most SUV owners most of our time will be spent on the road in semi-city driving, and I make one to two longer trips a week to a second job. So, comfortable highway driving is a must.

Even though we'll mostly be on the road we WILL be doing some off-roading in the form of beach driving. It is a popular public beach which nearly always has nice, deep tracks to follow. However, being so busy there's usually not much hard packed sand either and I'll have to be crossing the tread marks of much bigger vehicles (which are nice to follow, but suck to cross). I've done beach driving before, just not in my own vehicle...as long as you aren't stupid and try to climb dunes or something it's pretty hard to get stuck.

Talking to other people and doing research I've found it's nearly impossible to get straight answers on something that best suites my needs. So instead, I'm going for the approach of just getting as many answers in as many places as I can... Some people want to say nearly anything 4-wheel drive (whether it's full-time or not) will be ok for the beach as long as I'm smart about it...so even something like a Murano will be ok. Some people say I better focus on the off-roading since, unlike lots of people, I will actually be doing it so go for an FJ or something. Others still suggest finding middle ground like a RAV4 or Highlander.
    I just got Mitsubishi Outlander. It has all the gadgets I need: V6, 6-speed trnsmission with paddle shifters, bluetooth, Intelligent Key, keyless ignition, LED/xenon lights, Sirius radio, 6 CD mp3 changer, 650 watt amplifier with Sub, iPod jack, heated power leather seats, ipod jack, sunroof, 18" tires, 4WD, tire pressure monitor, traction/skid control... Plus 10/100 warranty, 5 y. roadside assistance, good cargo space, exceptional handling, sleek styling and it's build entirely in Japan. $26.5K!

Oulander beats RAV4 and CRV in customer satisfaction ratings at the all 3 major sites: MSN autos, endmunds and Yahoo autos.
  • basscadetbasscadet Member Posts: 146
    People had dogs and children before the invention of the sport utility vehicle. ;)

Buying a truck really is not your only option, minivans or a Subaru wagon would work very well for you without having to deal with the SUV stigma.
  • uncleevanuncleevan Member Posts: 1
    i currently have a yukon denali,as much as i like it i need something with better gas mileage.i find the mdx and arcadia,pacifa,enclave look too much like a minivan.my lease is up shortly and i am running out of options.maybe the durango or envoy,at lease it looks like a truck.anu suggestions?
  • schwantizzmoschwantizzmo Member Posts: 2
    I can't seem to figure out what 'route' to take with my current vehicle hunt... Here's the details...

I have 21K saved for a new vehicle purchase... I can't afford a new "desired vehicle" (CR-V or Pilot), and finding a 'slightly used' one (Pilot only, don't like the old CR-Vs) in my area is difficult...

I have a 'driveable junker' (worth about $400-700) that no 'normal' dealer will take for a trade... and I'd really hate to have a car payment...

I'm wondering if i should broaden my search (Pacifica, Escape, Grand Cherokee), and look for dealers that are having a 'minimum trade allowance' special and bite the bullet and get something from 'this' dealer..

any thoughts...? I love my Hondas (have had 2 Preludes, and an Accord) and I'd like to get something that isn't going to give me too much trouble...

Am i asking too much??
  • jmflex17jmflex17 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, all. I'm looking for some help here. I currently drive a 2004 FX35 loaded with every feature. I have 76K miles on it and I'm looking to unload it while it's still worth something. The Infiniti dealer won't help put me into something for a year to hold me over until the new 09' comes out.

Decision time ...

Do I hold-out or get into something new? I can't find anything out there that offers the same technology / comfort / drive of the Infiniti. I've looked at some coupes and sedans as well but I'm really only interested in AWD and I still can't find any company that offers all the bells and whistles that Infin. does.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    >> Do I hold-out or get into something new? I can't find anything out there that offers the same technology / comfort / drive of the Infiniti.

I did not know, that Infinity makes best SUVs :-)

Speaking of technology, why the FX35 comes only with the outdated 5-speed tranny? Mercedes M series comes with smother 7-speed and X5 comes with 6-speed. Also some cars offer now hard drive based navigation with MP3 music server. Also Infiniti's Bose stereo is not respected by audiofiles. The X5 offers better Harman Kardon stereo, both HD and Sirius radio and larger 8.8" navigation.

FX35 is nice car, but MB, or X5 would not be a bad alternative.
    My big issue is that the FX is "fun to drive". It has a great sports car feel to it. It's lower to the ground, has a great sounding exhaust, smaller steering wheel. Couple that with the in-car technology package and it is an awesome thing to drive.

I've test driven everything else. They feel like SUV's. This doesn't. I've also seen and used most of the other Nav systems - none compare to the new Infiniti Nav System.

I want something fun to drive that has great in-car technology. BMW looks nice and has great power and performance but the Nav and Phone systems are horrible.

I'm open to a sedan or a coupe! Been looking a little at the new 335xi but it lacks the bells and whistles.
    The 335xi is nice. Handles real well, has more advances trasmission and AWD system. What bells and whistles it lacks for you vs. FX35?
    I can't stand the "knob" to use the navigation, radio, phone, etc ... It's annoying. Even the voice commands aren't smooth. The new Infiniti is all voice commands and touch screen. The controls are better, the nav is better, the phone is better, etc ....

My mom has been in BMW's for years. Great for driving around town. I love the power and the sporty feel but it lacks a lot on the inside. The salesman at the BMW dealership told me the same thing.

I am totally open to a new SUV. Just looking for something fun. I am totally open to a sedan or coupe. Just looking for something fun with neat gadgets!

Thanks for any advice.
    Sounds like FX35 is real nice car, I have to check it out. Well, if driving fun and technology is what you need, let me try to sell you a car.

Are you familiar with Mitsubishi Outlander? The Outlander is a direct descendant of Pagero Evo 2+2 Concept, which is Dakar rally champion for 7 years in a row, beating every year BMW, MB, Cayenne, Audi etc. which explains why the Outlander is known for exceptional handling, road traction and driving fun. The car is equipped with smooth 6-speed shiftable tranny with magnesium paddle shifters. Special aluminum roof keeps center of gravity low.
    Pagero Evo Dakar video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMjhzv_zzE
    Outlander AWD/ASC 4 demo videos: http://outlander.jp/drivers_feeling/dri_02.html#start

The Outlander also has one of the best technology packages. It comes with Xenons/LEDs lights, FAST (intelligent) Key, keyless ignition, and voice activated Bluetooth hands free system and iPod jack. Available hard drive based Navigation, hard drive based digital music server, and Sirius radio: all controled via 7” LCD touch screen, the way you like it. The digital music server is rare gadget, it burns CDs to hard drive automaticaly, and it's fun to use with that thouch screen LCD navigating through playlists and folders.

Using a hard drive for navigation map storage (rather than DVD) gives the Outlander navigation system ultra-fast search and access to the map data. It has new for 2008, Diamond Lane Guidance is an industry-first development for the navigation system that gives the driver to have HOV lane information included with directions.

Available Rockford-Fosgate premium DVD/mp3 audio/video system with subwoofer and 650-watt amplifier! Available as option backup camera, parking sensors and multicolor HID lights. And of course, second row DVD/LCD, white leather, heated seats, etc. available.

Unlike some other Mitsubishis, the Outlander build in Japan. It comes with 5/10-year warranty/5y roadside. Consumer Reports listed Mitsubishi Outlander as best small SUV choice for reliability: http://www.mercurynews.com/drive/ci_7200769?nclick_check=1

Great CUV to wait for your next FX.
  • tjrichstjrichs Member Posts: 2
    After owning 5 different GMC Suburbans/Yukons since 1988, I switched to a 2008 Honda Pilot last month. For $16,000 less, I got much more SUV for my money. The build quality is excellent and has all of the equipment I wanted which included XM radio, sunroof, NAV, 4 wheel drive, and a terrific engine. I hated to leave the GM family, but the Honda price and equipment package is hard to beat.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is also based off the Dodge Caliper platform :)

My main issue with Mitsu is their dealer service and reliability in the past few years has been less than stellar :(

I think the OP was looking for a luxury car, and as much as Mitsu or Honda tries, they aren't luxury.

Heck the OP may not even want an SUV at all, seems to be all over the map.

-mike
    >> Is also based off the Dodge Caliper platform :)

Not quite. There is no such thing as "Dodge Caliper" :). There is Dodge Caliber though, but it's based on Lancer platform and not the other way around.

>> My main issue with Mitsu is their dealer service and reliability in the past few years has been less than stellar

Well, the Consumer Reports has the opposite opinion: according to CR, the 2008 Outlander has the best predicted reliability in its class: CR link. Also 2006 Outlander made CR the top 5 most reliable in its class: CR Best and Worst. Sure, the other Mitsubishis build in Illinois on Chrysler powertrain were not reliable, but the Outlander has no Chrysler parts - it's build entirely in Japan.

>> I think the OP was looking for a luxury car, and as much as Mitsu or Honda tries, they aren't luxury.

Well, initially I suggested OP the BMW X5 and MB M350 and apparently these cars do not work for him, so what else can you offer? The Outlander has attributes of an upscale car: white leather, premium stereo, Nav, climate control, Xenons, intelligent key, roadside assistance, 6-speed shiftable tranny/paddle shifters, V6, music server (otherwise available only on MB C-class, Lexus LS600h and Cadillac). OP is looking for a nice car, which is fun to drive and has a great technology package. The Outlander has it all, and for instance it has better handling and better technology package then Lexus RX350. Do you a have better suggestion?
    Actually nissan offers a 9.5gb music server.

As for CR, they've been wrong in the past...

And the platform for the Caliber, Lancer, Outlander, and several other DC cars isn't necessarily a bad one.

Not sure why you think it's such a competition here.

As for the OP, IMO is really looking for a luxury car, not a Mitsu, Subaru, Honda, etc. I think he's pretty confused as he isn't even sure he wants a SUV at all.

-mike
  • peytonapeytona Member Posts: 1
    Our company is looking into getting a few of us inot company vehicles. we are lokking for opinions and real life examples from fellow road warriors.

Please review the following criteria:
    30-40k miles per year
    comfortable ride
    lots of storage for demo equipment
    23-30 mpg overall
    dependibility
    18-23k price range
    decent resell value

Thanks for your input.
    I would consider a small SUV from Consumer Reports most reliable list: Honda Element, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV, Mitsubishi Outlander and Subaru Forester.

Honda Element and Mitsubishi Outlander also made CR best predicted reliability list in its class.

Because of best reliability ratings they all would have decent resale value. The Outlander also has the longest of all warranty: 5/10 years and free 5 year roadside assistance.

In 4 cylinder configuration they all have gas mileage and pricing you desire. SUV-style body would obviously give you lots of room for your stuff. Some of them also have roof rails.

Personally, I would pick the Outlander. In addition to everything, it looks more stylish and it has best handling in a group so it's fun to drive. It also has this unique clam shell hatch foor easy loading (you can even seat on it):

All five cars comparison
    Be very careful on using a small SUV for this application. Check how heavy your demo equipment is and the payload of the cute-utes.

For example:
    The Outlander AWD has roughly a 1500lb capacity less all fuel, driver, passenger, and gear.

The Element AWD has roughly a 880lb capcity less all fuel, driver, passenger, and gear.

Just something to take into account.

-mike
    Mr. peytona did not mention a fact that he will have a heavy equipment, though the Outlander in fact has the best payload specs vs. my other 4 recommendations.

Mike, you always contradict me but you never offer an alternative. If you can offer a reliable MEDIUM or LARGE SUV with 23-30 mpg, and in 18-23k price range, I would be very curious, please be my guest?
    I didn't contradict you, I was actually pointing out that the Outlander has the best capacity in the group. I was also just pointing out something that a lot of folks overlook when SUV buying.

This was very common for folks who bought the Ford Excursion, which while having the highest GVWR, it was also the heaviest which negated the high GVWR because you subtract the vehicle weight, gear and people and fuel from the GVWR to find out if you are over your capacity.

-mike
  • chigirlintexaschigirlintexas Member Posts: 73
    Ok experts,

I've been researching and out looking at SUVs and would love some input from you. My musts are Nav/Bluetooth and an engine that will give me good acceleration, as well as input jack for iPod/MP3. I don't care about leather or sunroof, although they would be nice to have. I'd also like to have the ability to fold down the front seat so if I go to Home Depot and want to buy some 2X4's, I can put them in the vehicle.

So far, I drove the Saturn VUE (did not like it), the Jeep Liberty and Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge and Honda CR-V. Also have been considering the Mitsubishi Outlander, and Mazda CX-7, although I just cannot get excited about either one. I liked the Jeeps and the Edge, but the CR-V just didn't have enough power and the dealers here (Dallas) are just not dealing (nor do they have many in stock).

Assuming 1st-2nd tier credit, no money down, 15K miles a year, what is out there that will get me close to a $400/month lease payment for 36-39 months? Tax rate here is 6.25% on vehicles. Are there enough incentives on the Grand Cherokee to get me close? The Liberty doesn't seem to have enough--when working a potential deal for a 2WD Limited (MSRP 30K), they couldn't get me below $500, even with our Chrysler Financial existing customer bonus of $1K.

As I said, leather and sunroof aren't that important to me, but as I peruse the local dealer inventories, it doesn't seem like you can get Nav without getting all of the other packages as well, which bumps up the price tremendously. If there are some equipped otherwise, I'd love to hear your experience.

If this is not a realistic payment, then obviously I am prepared to either wait it out or consider other options. I know how the whole thing works--cap cost, residual, money factor, etc. I don't know all of the inventives going on right now, and also just how much people are able to get off the MSRP when negotiating. And though I have tried to research, there may be another vehicle that has enough of the right factors that it could fit all of my constraints, both financially and practically. I've done some numbers using Edmunds' calculators, but can't seem to get anything quite where I want it unless I drastically slash the price paid (cap cost). Some vehicles it may be possible to do this--in your opinion, which one would I have the best shot at?

Also, don't need 4WD/AWD....and am not going to trade my current vehicle. No kids, so I don't need a 3rd row seat. Would love an FX (dream car) but am not so naive to think it's a possibility.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or reality checks.

ChiGirl
    alright, fair enough