Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Purchasing Motorhomes

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    fezo,

I wasn't questioning the existence of locks (they do exist). My comment was directed at your claim of ocean tides impinging on the Great Lakes. The St.Lawrence river is tidal only below Quebec City. The locks are above Montreal and well above any tidal effects.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That was someone else on the locks keeping the tides out.

I'm impressed as all get out when I see a lock in action. Quite an amazing piece of engineering.

I was going to try counting but I gave up...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    That was someone else...

Sorry about that. I think I crosslinked phezo with eufonium. ;)

And, yes, it is a marvelous feat of engineering!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    That's all right. My brain couldn't count locks.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I've been to the Panama Canal...their locks work from a naturally feed lake...millions of gallons are release at each passing. They say the salt water fish are 'stunned' at the fresh water coming into the ocean and float to the top. Then, it's a smorgishboard for the birds.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Well, I just experienced my first dry-docking experience in Quartzsite, AZ. There are 10's of thousands of RV's that congregate there every year for the BIG tent show. A group of us from Southern California met and I boondocked for 8 days with my 100 gallons of fresh water and capacity of 70 gallons of grey water (sink and shower water) and capacity of 40 gallons of black.

I only used about half of my fresh water and could have gone at least two weeks of dry-docking. And, that included at least one shower per day and sometimes two. It's amazing how you can conserve water when needed but do everything you need.

The generator worked perfect keeping the 8 house batteries charged along with the 2 chassis batteries. Two or three hours of running the genny in the morning and again in the evening will keep the batteries charged. The fridge is all electric and worked just fine. If for some reason the batteries went low, the generator will come on automatically to charge everything.

I'm looking forward to next years event as it was a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people and the pot-luck dinners at night were perfect!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Getting ready to head to Las Vegas on Monday. There has been a lot of snow in the Cajon Pass that closed the freeway for a while. I think I'll be fine by the time I cross that area.

I've got the coach all ready for departure. I checked the tires (110 in the front and 100 in the six rear tires) and everything was fine. I keep an on-board compressor just in case I need air. It is difficult to find air pumps at gas stations that can pump up to 120 psi.

Wish there were others interested in motorhomes on CarSpace.

Mark156
    Hi, Mark!

How does your Dynasty handle the mountains? I live close to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and, every Spring, the motorhomes pass through here on their way to the parks. And they move oh so slowly even on roads that aren't all that steep.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Hello Tidester!

It is pretty normal for coaches to go slow up the hills. Our 42 ft. coach weighs 40,000 lbs. loaded (full fuel, full water, emtpy holding tanks, full gear, etc.) and pull a 3,400 lb. toad. We certainly won't win races up the hills but we'll make it just fine.

The problem that I run into is if I get behind a slow truck and it makes me slow down, I don't have the momentum to pass if I fall to 35 mph. If I can keep my speed up as I approach the hill, I'll slow down some but move along reasonably well.

With the 42 ft. floorplan that we bought, the 425 HP ISL 8.9 liter Cummins was the largest available. The 45 ft. floorplans had a 500 HP Cummins. The extra 75 HP would be nice.

Yellowstone is on the radar to visit this summer.

Mark
    I don't have the momentum to pass if I fall to 35 mph

I had that problem with an old 4Runner I used to own. It had the (grossly underpowered) four cylinder engine before they came out with the six and it was the reason I got rid of it.

Yellowstone is on the radar to visit this summer.

I can assure you that you'll love it! Well worth the trip. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Update.... still motorhoming around the country. Family issues have slowed things down a little bit but that's what's important right now.

Just completed a 1,000 mile trip to Asheville, NC, to see the Biltmore Estate then to Atlanta to see friends.

For the last 4,000 or so miles I have purposely kept my speed between 55-60 mph. On one recent tank, I got 9.1 mpg. Slowing down in a big behemeth like the motorhome does save the fuel. On the same trip I got 6.1 on a tank as the hills will pull the mileage down. :o(

In about a month, I'll start another trip out west taking a northern route... Missouri/Kansas/Colorado/Utah/Nevada/California.

Any other motorhomers out there? :blush:

Mark
    It's only about 6 hours from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone? :)

Thanks for the update ... and the jolt.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    If not time pressed, consider traveling on Highway 89 on your way North. It is a very scenic byway to shunpike. :)
    Better yet, it's only 1,000 miles from California to Asheville. Must be one of those options on the motor home.

Mark, good to see you back. I live your adventures vicariously ....
    My home base is in Tennessee (hence, the 1,000 mile trip).... I spend about 3-4 months a year at the house in California. From California to Asheville would more like 2,200 miles. :P

Got an appointment at Cummins next Wednesday to lubricate the chassis and check a radiator hose that leaked a few weeks ago but is now OK. The engine has a 5 yr. warranty.

Mark156
    Shows how much I know. I had you in California the whole time.

Heck, in a couple of days I could make it to Tennessee and check all this out. Of course you'd be in California...
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    Where at in TN Mark?
    Ya know that guy on your street with the massively huge motorhome?......
    In Elvis Country (Memphis).
    It was time for the 25,000 mile chassis service (lube). I was a little apprehensive at this new service center as I've never used them before. I was also having a little leakage from a radiator hose and had them check it.

Everything was fine, they said the radiator hose was not leaking anymore (tightened the fitting) and filled the reservoir with antifreeze. They said that some of the Cummins engines have had cracks in their EGR cases (if I remember correctly) and I should watch the reservoir. If it gets low again, I should have a Cummins shop check and/or replace this case as it can have an internal leak. It is completely under warranty.

As many of you may know, these units have a lot of components involved. Our front air conditioner (of three units) has gone out and is under warranty from Dometic. My repairman has ordered a new front air conditioner unit and thermostat (thermostat was malfuctioning since new) and should be in soon. Thank goodness the other two units can handle the heat.

All in a days traveling....!

Mark
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    As many of you may know, these units have a lot of components involved.

What's the warranty situation compared to a regular vehicle? Can you get an economical 'bumper to bumper' extended warranty?
    I wonder if the expense of potential repairs is one of the reasons why so many 3-5 year old RVs are always available.

However I suppose a pre-owned unit might still represent good value when taking the initial depreciation into account.
    initial depreciation ???

They bought a new Country Coach Allure 36' for $200,000. Took it out once and wife died.

The widower's girl friend refused to sleep or ride in the coach that had been previously occupied by the dead wife. :sick: :cry:

To satisfy the new girl friend, the Widower sold his $200,000 coach to my brother in law for $115,000 & bought another new one.

Lesson: Depreciation has many factors. :(
    The warranty for a motorhome is much more complex because each item can have it own warranty. The house (what's on top of the chassis) has a one year warranty from the manufacturer. The chassis (Roadmaster) has a 3 year warranty. The Cummins engine has a 5 yr. warranty.

Other items with their own warranty:
    Dometic air conditioners 3 yrs. replacement (1st and 2nd yr. parts and labor, 3rd yr. parts only).
    Fridge (Jenn-Air), microwave (Sharp), dishwasher (Fisher & Paykel), roof fans (Fantastic Fans), etc, all have their own factory warranty's.
    The mattress (Select Comfort) 2 yr warranty, was replaced after the 1st year as the hand-held readers malfunctioned. If it breaks again, I'll get a regular mattress.

The bumper to bumper warranty that was offered was $8,900 (4 yr. coverage). We passed on that! After reading of what it DIDN'T cover, I was just not sold on it.

After reading in my Motorhome magazine and other websites, extended warranties are 99% a big fat headache. I decided it was better to just pay as we go and if I were to reach the $8,900 in repairs or more, the fact of avoiding all the red tape from an extended warranty would be well worth it to me.

So far, I would say out of pocket expenses have been less than $1,000 in 2 yrs. I had to have the surround covering the exhaust pipe re-welded, the air level adjusted on the chassis, the windshield re-caulked, replaced almost all of the LED marker lights at the top (front and back), etc. So, not too many things considering the beast is complex.

Mark
    Thanks, that's pretty much as I thought. Warranty companies aren't exactly known for their altruism.
    I'm not in the market at the moment, though I find them very interesting, but if I were I think I'd definitely be looking at one of the maybe two or three year old models with low mileage, of which there seem to be many available.
    The depreciation hit has already been taken, any initial problems will have been taken care of by the original owner and/or warranty, and from what I can tell most owners take exceptional care of their vehicles, both cosmetically and mechanically.

Of course you don't get that brand new aura that only comes with buying new, but a thorough detailing plus a new mattress and toilet seat go a long way, and you don't have to worry about making the first scratch either.

Just musing over what I'd do, though if the appropriate funds were available then new would obviously be the way to go.
    "If if floats, flies, or fun - rent it."
    We have not talked too much about storage. Those who are lucky can park their motorhomes beside their residence. We, on the otherhand, have three homes, two of which are in gated commiunities and one way out in the country where the trees would not allow entry onto the property.

So, I have a storage garage rental in California that has a 30 amp connection, is gated with camera's and has a manager M-F 8-4. I have a gate access remote control so I can take the motorhome out at anytime I want.

If the motorhome is not in storage, for example, when traveling or at our other home, it has to stay in a campground at a cost per day. Currently, I'm paying $180 a week at a campground about 8 miles from the house. It is a VERY convenient location but I'm still having to pay for the storage garage whether I use it or not. It's $389 a month.

The motorhome fixed cost run about $1,000 a month just to have it which includes insurance, storage garage and the RV park when not in storage. The motorhome is paid for so no cost there. When we start to move it down the road, then fuel cost comes into play. :o)

Just another spin on RV ownership,
    Mark156 :blush:
    And the Toad chasing the MH? Is that part of the MH cost or is it a vehicle you use every day anyway?
    I drag a 2007 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD w/nav behind the motorhome, excellent car for towing! No, I didn't figure that into the cost. Never had a Honda before, so I'm now a fan! Nice little car.

We use it for daily driving sometimes.

Mark
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Interesting to read the tales of your travels... Most of the hardcore boondockers that I've read about have solar systems and go to pretty extreme measures to conserve their battery power.

There are a lot of days where I wouldn't mind trekking across the country at my own pace... :D
    The planned departure is on Friday! Off to California from Tennessee via I-40 following this route.....Memphis, Little Rock, Ft. Smith, Oklahoma City, Shamrock, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Quartzsite, Blythe and then to sunny Southern California to the storage garage!!

Got lots to do....
    -take off my faux-leather :blush: tire covers (wash, dry and fold)
    -wash the motorhome
    -wash the Honda
    -take off front window and side window snap-on's (just around the front cap)
    -retract window awnings
    -clean hydraulic jacks (with damp clothe)
    -empty all holding tanks
    -fill fresh water tank
    -shop for food for 5-6 days (restaurants can be far and few between)

Then I'll fire up the 8.9 liter diesel engine, select 'travel' on the leveling pad so that the jacks retract, turn off the engine, pull all the slides in, restart engine. Then, put the front cover on the Honda, attach all towing gear, jump back in the coach, select 'D' and GO! :surprise:

M.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    shop for food for 5-6 days (restaurants can be far and few between)

Really? I was on I-40 earlier this summer between Albuquerque and Flagstaff and it seemed like there was a town of decent size every 60-100 miles.

Though I can understand wanting to cook your own food, since you've got all the equipment with you to do so.
    Sedona, South of Flagstaff is worth the trip on old 89, the scenic route. :)
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Sedona, South of Flagstaff is worth the trip on old 89, the scenic route.

That's exactly where the wife and I went the week after Memorial Day. I cannot for the life of me imagine mark's motorhome going down that canyon. :surprise:
    We went to the Rancho Sedona RV park back in 2005 in a rental 38 ft. Fleetwood Expedition. The roads were fine. Sedona is an absolutely gorgeous place and is known as the "Grand Canyon Upside Down".

I would like to make a more scenic route but because of family matters, my trip has been pushed back making a more straight route the only way to go. We've got commitments next Friday so I'll have to drive 300 miles a day at least to get there by next Wednesday.

That will give me a day and a half to get the motorhome put up and stored before I head off to San Diego for two weeks (by Bentley) :blush:

Mark
    All is going well so far with the trek out west. First night was Sallisaw, OK at a KOA....last night was a little roadside RV park (West 40 RV Park) in Shamrock Texas. We've stayed here before when passing through last year. The owner is this little old lady (cute as a button) that runs the place and has for 40+ years.

She remembers when the dust bowl came through as late as the 1950's. She also has pictures made as postcards that her husband's family took way back in the 1930's of the dust bowl coming through....wow, amazing. She said her Mom would cover her crib with a blanket to protect her from the influx of dirt/dust.

Going to try and make Albuquerque today....gotta stop at Camping World for a new tire gauge and some 'toil-let' chemicals. Oh, the fun! :P

M.
    That will give me a day and a half to get the motorhome put up and stored before I head off to San Diego for two weeks (by Bentley) :blush:

I can see that life is getting tough but I'm sure you'll put your head down and push on through. ;)

Had you ever thought of using the Bentley as a 'toad'? That would make quite the statement as you pull into an RV park! :)
    Mac... I don't think the Bentley is towable....but it would make a great statement for sure!

Made it to Williams, AZ, to the Grand Canyon Railway RV park.....nice place and the low tonight is going to be 48! YEAH!

Figured my last two tanks of diesel and I got 8.8 and 7.1...... more hills on the last tank.

The Bentley gets 9.0 mpg's just going down the road with it's W-12 engine. :blush:

Mark :D
    Just checking in.... preparing the motorhome for an 8 day visit to Quartzsite, AZ, to the BIG TENT RV merchandise show (150,000 RV's will congregate in the area). Last year, I joined a group of 52 RV's and we all had a great time as we had pot luck dinners every night around the huge bonfire. Maybe there will be more RV's in our group this year.

Then, I'm off to Las Vegas for a week visiting with friends who also have an RV.

Yesterday I had to check all 8 tires for proper air pressure and install the TPMS sensors. I have one tire that the stem seems to be losing air so I'll have to have that checked out. With the sensor on, it seemed OK but don't want to risk it.

I also topped off all 8 house batteries with distilled water and will load up the coach with clothes and food in a couple of days.

Happy Camping!
    Mark :)
    and will load up the coach with clothes

Pack up some warm ones. I understand it's unusually chilly down there!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I just read back to the beginning of this thread and I still haven't been to Yellowstone or Mt. Rushmore. Hoping to go to the northeast this summer that will include Niagara Falls. Time moves so fast and there is just not enough time to see everything. :sick:

Mark
    edited April 2010
    Have firm plans to stay at the Yellowstone Grizzly RV park at the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park in August. We'll also try and take a trip south to see the Grand Tetons, I hear that area is beautiful.

In about week, we'll take the motorhome to Las Vegas and stay for about 5 days. It's a fun city as I've been there on two short trips already this year.

I noticed that I was getting a little wear on the driver's side front tire (almost 29,000 miles) so I had an alignment done. Not too bad at $125 which included straightening the steering wheel (cocked slightly to the right).

Last summer, we met a really nice couple in Asheville, NC, who also had a Dynasty. They had purchased two small folding tables from a company in Oregon that matches the tables to your wood and cabinet color. I finally got around to ordering two for our motorhome and they were delivered recently. What neat little tables.

I plan on using them for coffee tables and/or a cocktail table in between the two recliners. We had been using the two ottomans with trays sitting on them. It's time to use the ottomans for my feet! LOL. I was really impressed with the quality and finish of the folding tables. So, this will be the first trip to use them. :blush:

Happy Travels,
    Mark156
    edited August 2010
    Well, here we are in August and we leave on Saturday to work our way from TN to Yellowstone National Park. It will be SO nice to get out of the sweltering heat of the south.

Our first stop will be in Saint Louis, MO, then off to Topeka, KS. We'll stay there for a couple of days visiting with friends then off to South Sioux City, NE. That's when we will finally get into much cooler temps.

We'll work out way to Hill City, SD, for three days at a KOA campground. We'll see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. At this point, we are 560 miles from Yellowstone National Park. We'll work our way to West Yellowstone, MT, staying at the Grizzly RV Park (5 days). This will give us the opportunity take our time to drive our 'toad' through the park (see Old Faithful) and even go down to the beautiful Grand Tetons south of Yellowstone National Park.

We'll then go towards Washington State making our way to Seattle then work our way to Portland, Eugene and Medford, OR. Northern California is a definite stop to the wine country (Sonoma and Napa). Just south of there we'll stay in San Francisco a couple of days, actually, parking the Motorhome outside the city and taking the Honda into town and staying at a hotel for a couple of days to enjoy the city.

Our final destination is Southern California until after Thanksgiving. :shades:

Mark156
    Sounds like it'll be a satisfying trip, and I certainly envy you getting away from the current heat and humidity.

Make sure you post pics if the Bentley ever gets pressed into 'toad' duty! ;)
    edited August 2010
    Ok Mac.... here it is!
    Photobucket">
    Better pic...
    Photobucket">
    Suggest you head North from Yellowstone on 89 to Great Falls, 15 to Lethbridge, on up to Calgary. Thence West on 1 to the parks. While spending a few days at Banff & Lake Louise, take the toad to Jasper and back. Continue West to Kamloops thence South to Vancouver. It is guaranteed you will take in giant mountain scenery you will always remember. It takes Passports to get back in the states or some sort of proof of citizenship. :)
    Give us all the good details, Mark. Some of us live vicariously with your adventures....
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Post more pics of the Bentley!
    edited August 2010
    I've tried for two days to post pics of the Bentley... it just will not work for some reason.

Mark :sick:
    We traveled 4,200 miles covering 13 states in 6.5 weeks (TN, AR, MO, KS, NE, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA). The highlights were Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park and Crater Lake. :blush:

Mark156